PDA

View Full Version : CNA Events

Killmesarah
08-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi, I figured I would start a thread about all the events at CNA(since the schedule is up on the website now).

Has anyone been to Anime All night? I didn't see anything about it on the schedule.
Also, I am interested in going to Anime Karaoke. Has anyone gone to this? I was curious about the song selection and such.

Sarah-san

JustinCredible
08-18-2004, 09:58 PM
Hi, I figured I would start a thread about all the events at CNA(since the schedule is up on the website now).

Has anyone been to Anime All night? I didn't see anything about it on the schedule.
Also, I am interested in going to Anime Karaoke. Has anyone gone to this? I was curious about the song selection and such.

Sarah-san

Anime All-Night and Anime Karaoke are one in the same... or I should say are located at the same place... at the same time. Now how it works is around maybe 10 ( I could be wrong) at Stranthcona Hotel, which is located a few blocks (walking distance) to the MTCC, they let you into the basement bar. Now they first start off by showing various episodes of anime, while at the same time start talking people's karaoke song requests.

Soon after they turn off the anime and start the karaoke. After a while, they switch the karaoke off and then go back to the anime. And so on and so forth.

Last time I stayed for the the majority of the night... I got there at like 11pm and it ended at like 5am, but at around 2 or so they stopped doing anime and karaoke and started doing Q&A and discussions, which were great.

As for karaoke, I believe there is an email floating around for requests (I could be wrong), but they have a pretty decent library of songs and I believe vocal cancelling hardware. Oh... I don't bother requesting 'Fly me To The Moon'.... its been banned.

Now on the topic of events at CN, I took a peak at the schedule and some things urk me:

CNanime
*Ikki tousen isn't a title I think should be shown @ 10am on Saturday...
*Anime Music Videos will be shown this year at John Bassett Theatre, which means If I do go and see it, I'll have to leave earlier to get back in line at JBT.

CNCBE
*Not much to complain about. I was disappointed that it still hasn't gotten any screening room coverage, but the panels lined up this year has really peaked my interested (which hasn't been peaked since 99)

SFX
*Not much here content wise. Outside of guests and the Star Trek: New Voyages Presentation, it has barely any coverage.
*Two Julie Benz Intimate and interactives??? Shouldn't Emma Caulfield, the much bigger star, get 2?

FOF (Festival Of Fear)
*Ginger Snaps - The beginning is showing.
*This is possibly one of the best line-ups, guests and events, hobbystar has put together... too bad they don't do this for all sections.

GENERAL CONVENTION NOTES
*The Expo map was a little funny to read, but for sure it seems they will be using the same space on the second floor as they did last year. The Side Escalators will be used and not the ones in the front like back a couple years ago.
*Autograph section are indeed in carpeted rooms on the 1st floor.
*A Screening room has been moved to where the Media/PR section used to be and vice versa.
*Iceman Video Games are there... yeah!

Bakuretsumaru
08-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I loved the Karaoke at Anime North, it was fun, a little disorganized and the songlist wasn't very big but I enjoyed it. If anyone has anymore info on requesting songs, I'd appreciate some feedback anytime soon, thanks! ^^

Killmesarah
08-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Hmmm Is that basement bar one that serves drinks??
Not that I mind if it's sober Karaoke.... I just feel bad for the ppl that have to hear me sing, LOL.
Actually, I probably sing just as bad either way, the buzz just makes it easier on MY ears, LOLOL

Ok:::calms down::::

Do a lot of ppl go to the Anime All Night thing? Can you go in Pjamas??

S-san

Kia
08-18-2004, 11:35 PM
LOL, as long as you have your CN pass with you I don't think the organizers care what you wear. Just as long as it's some sort of clothing. ^_^
And yeah, it's in the basement of the Strathcona. I can't remember if they had shut down the bar last time I went to Anime All Night. Anyone else remember?

Elemental
08-18-2004, 11:55 PM
They tend to shut down the bar because it's hard to control the minor issues. As well, they are *planning* on holding a Karaoke contest at a reasonable time this year- ie something during the day of the con. the issue with teh Karaoke at the Strathcona is that you had to stay till the END of the Karaoke session (In betwixt a lot of bad anime) in order to win anything... which meant you were there till 5 am. bad for sleep, worse if you wanted to go home.

As far as other Anime-ralated things goes, there will be a AMV panel this year, as well as a cosplay panel. One or two more panel ideas are being tossed around, but haven't been confirmed.

Mekou
08-19-2004, 12:04 AM
What really sucks it that I might not be able to see the AMV Contest because most likely I'l have to be at the green room for the Masq or doing something with my group. And I submitted my video too. -__- Oh well not likely it'll be shown or get anything. ^^;

Kia
08-19-2004, 12:22 AM
What really sucks it that I might not be able to see the AMV Contest because most likely I'l have to be at the green room for the Masq or doing something with my group. And I submitted my video too. -__- Oh well not likely it'll be shown or get anything. ^^;
And they're not replaying them on Sunday, which is stupid if you ask me.

Mage
08-19-2004, 02:43 AM
Agreed. It ticks me off because I missed them last year as well and the AMV contest is my favourite event at any con, aside from the masquerade. =( I didn't even get to see the AMVs at AN this year because I was manning the dealers booth. >_<; Grr.

KusanIvy
08-19-2004, 07:06 AM
We tried going to Anime All Night at CNA02 - but we left shortly after we got there, as we saw no point in staying.

The problem is the basement bar at the Strathcona is a long, fairly narrow room with pillars everywhere. The anime was being shown on a large screen TV at the far end of the room which was difficult to see. And because you couldn't see the bottom of the screen because of everyone's heads they had to play only dubbed versions of the anime.

Killmesarah
08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Well the con shuts down at 9pm right? So besides finding somewhere to eat in between, what else do OTAKU do at night? I figure there will be a TON of ppl at the Anime All night(atleast- I'm hoping). I wish the website would post more info on it.....

Also, I was gonna bring a video camera to CNA. Do you think ppl would get mad if I taped them doing Karaoke??

S-san

JustinCredible
08-19-2004, 02:43 PM
We tried going to Anime All Night at CNA02 - but we left shortly after we got there, as we saw no point in staying.

The problem is the basement bar at the Strathcona is a long, fairly narrow room with pillars everywhere. The anime was being shown on a large screen TV at the far end of the room which was difficult to see. And because you couldn't see the bottom of the screen because of everyone's heads they had to play only dubbed versions of the anime.

Yup, its true.
If you want a good view of the anime, get their early. But I didn't find the Anime interesting at all, so it didn't bother me. Plus I had more fun watching people sing and talking to the other congoers so...

Well the con shuts down at 9pm right? So besides finding somewhere to eat in between, what else do OTAKU do at night? I figure there will be a TON of ppl at the Anime All night(atleast- I'm hoping). I wish the website would post more info on it.....

Also, I was gonna bring a video camera to CNA. Do you think ppl would get mad if I taped them doing Karaoke??

S-san
Well on Friday the con ends @ 9, but people ususally hang in the lobby of the Strathcona so they can get a good seat @ Anime All-Night. Saturday, the masq will be done around 9:30 (possibly), so by the time people get out they head once again to the Strathcona.

I brought my video camera to CN last year, but didn't take any video of the karaoke. At other CN events involving Karaoke in the past, I have seen a video camera or two.

Mekou
08-19-2004, 03:37 PM
*sigh*-.- Perhaps I will be able to catch the first bit of the AMVs. <_< I at least wish to be able to do that. ^^

Kawaii Bishoujo
08-19-2004, 06:06 PM
OH!! i am SOOO doing karaoke!! >.< i wuz guna do that at AN..buh i juz didnt have any time to go -.- but yeaa...ummm as 4 the song selection..does anyone kno if they have songz like Hemisphere or Garden of Everything?? im planning to sing those ones o.o i wuz actually in j-idol at AN 04 ^^ buh theres no j-idol at CNA..so mite as well go 2 karaoke =D I CANT WAIT XD

Kawaii Bishoujo
08-19-2004, 06:08 PM

S-san

hmmmmm....as far as i kno, im pretty sure they wouldnt mind if u taped them...cuz at j-idol thiz yr..a gurl at my table taped all of the competition so ^^