PDA

View Full Version : Usagi-chan's (Sailor Moon's) make-up

GingerWolf
08-23-2004, 07:03 AM
mmk everyone i've thought long and hard about this and i just wanted some opinions on make up for Sailor Moon..i'm very pale but i need new foundation...lol mines to dark...i need to uy something near porclein..but anyways..foundation..light pink eyeshadow (maybe?) i'm not sure about eyeliner..i have white eyeliner but would you use that or no...mascara is a yes for me..i have super long eyelashes and i just love'em lol..i'm not sure about blush and if i used it wat color would i use...this is just for the first form of sailor moon...and of course the all esstential powder...any opinions on this would be greaaaat for me

senshi_meiousei
08-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Well personally, I don't think Sailor Moon herself wears make up. She's a fourteen year old girl, so she shouldn't! I'd still go with some foundation just in case there are any blemishes you wish to cover up. If you look at the transformation sequences, only the outer senshi receive a sort of lip gloss, Pluto receiving actual lipstick. You would think that if they receive make up, then it would show if any of the other senshi wore make up. None of the inner senshi in my group wear make up because of that. So yeah, in conclusion, I'd only wear the foundation. And go with something that's close to your original skin color. If you don't, and you miss a spot or you don't get close enough to your hairline, you'll see a difference in color and it'll look bad.

GingerWolf
08-23-2004, 09:47 AM
mmk ty ty its jsut something i've been wondering i new to go with the basics..powder, base, (and i always include mascara in basics.) danot as me why but i do...lol ty senshi

SailorKnight
08-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I think base makeup to make yourself look natural is best. Be sure to accentuate your features though because on camera you'll look washed out. Maybe foundation, nude eyeliner and beige eyeshadow and mascara. She definitely wears lipstick though, as seen in Sailor Moon Live. It's a light pink that's only a little bit darker than the natural color but still dark enough to know it's there. Oh, and gloss. Always have glossy lips when playing a sailor senshi because it makes you cute.

GingerWolf
08-23-2004, 03:58 PM
hmmm i see...i just thought about using a very pale pink eyeshadow....one b/c it never shows up on my skin and two..b/c i thought it was cute..but i have TONS of gloss so that shouldn't be a problem

dead pixle
08-23-2004, 04:04 PM
I'd say:

Yes to foundation/concealer -- you want your skin to look flawless.
Try picking up some clear mascara -- it will look more natural, while still giving your eyes a bit of a pop.
Curling yuor eyelashes is always a good idea
Do not use lipstick! It will make you look too done up. Instead try using a lip stain. One brand that is a bit pricey, but can be worn every day and is just wonderful is Urban Decay. They make a lip stain and it costs about 14 dollars, you can find it on Sephora.com.
Going with a touch of blush is an excellent idea, else you will look washed out.
I'd personally sport a bit of *brown* eyeliner, not black, it is too dramatic for this outfit!

Good Luck!

China-Lilly
08-25-2004, 03:51 AM
I think I have to differ from everyone and say: yes wear makeup.

I think whether Sailor Moon, a 14-year old girl would wear makeup or not is not the point. You're using the makeup to look more like Sailor Moon, you're not trying to do what Sailor Moon would do herself in her fictional world.

Firstly, get a foundation that matches your skintone if you plan on wearing one. Otherwise, just concealer and powder would be fine. You just want smooth-looking, even-toned skin. Powder is essential, as even a slight shine can look greasy in photos.

Looking at the anime - I'd say black mascara and black eyeliner on the top lid only. The characters have thick, full and gorgeous black lashes not really possible in real life, especially on blondes. The point of this is to emphasize your eyes. You can use white eyeliner on the lower inside rim, as this will make your eyes appear larger. Your pink eyeshadow sounds like a good idea, but use a soft pink, not a frosty one.

A very light touch of pink blush will help you appear more youthful, and use a sheer glossy colour on lips. If you can't find the right shade in a gloss, rub a small amount of lipstick on your lips with your fingertip and then put clear gloss over that.

GingerWolf
08-25-2004, 04:04 AM
ty china that was actually m orignial idea...my pink eyeshadow isnn't frosty it very...soft i wore it to work today lol

EternalxUsagi
08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
When I was 14 I was wearing makeup. Makeup really isn't much of an option for me. I suggest it if you're having your picture taken (and you want to look best).

Something to reduce shine on your face, like a pressed powder is great. Especially if the con you go to is in the summer, and you get a little oily. You don't want that showing up in pictures!

If you're pale, don't cake on any makeup. Keep it simple. Curl your eyelashes and put on a little mascara. Eyeshadow isn't even really necessary.
Usagi's looks is simple, very fresh. No eyeshadow, no blush, no bronzer, just the innocence of being young. ;)

kiwi
08-27-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm an anti-makeup maven, and getting me to put it on for cosplay requires some severe arm-twisting. As a result, I tend to look washed out and rather unpleasant looking in photos. Don't be like me -- wear makeup! :P Since Usagi doesn't really wear makeup, I'd follow the others' suggestions and stick to naturals -- tint your lips to avoid wash-out (pick something several shades darker than your natural color, but avoid obviously-lipstick colors like reds and burgundies), wear some mascara and eyeliner, a good, light foundation and concealer, and light blush to give your face some color. If you're going to be in a masquerade or seen from stage, cake it on like a cheap hooker.

TsukiGuujin
08-28-2004, 01:29 PM
I would definitely try to keep it as 'natural' looking as possible.
Sure, curl your eyelashes. Maybe the slightest bit of blush.
But she doesn't LOOK made up, if that makes any sense.
...I also hate makeup, and don't wear it with my SM costume.
But that's just me. ^^

~~Tsuki~~

deschaos
09-01-2004, 08:10 PM
You know what a Sweet Lolita is? Same makeup technique. Light, airy. Look in the makeup catalogues for spring and summer. Think pastels.

Usako Haneino
02-10-2006, 03:51 PM
i'm rather pale and plan to cosplay usagi for anizona this year. but i ususally look like i'm ghost whte in pictures when a flash is used. (okay i practically glow) i kinda have rosatia (however its spelled) it basically means i have a perminent blush on my cheeks and chin even with foundation and powder it shows through...but oddly not in pictures (erm okay rambleing) anyway any suggestions on how to get a natural look that'll show in pictures withoust looking washed uot? (i'm a make-up newbie)

SasamiChan
02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Her look is pretty natural, but all eyes. I would definitely go for the eye liner (top only or very little on bottom), lip gloss (clear or pale pink), and mascara. Always use foundation, maybe use cover-up on your chin to help hide the red? Since you already have blushed cheeks naturally, I wouldn't use any blush. Btw, can't wait to see you at AniZona! Do you go on the anizona.org forums?

Usako Haneino
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
i haven't posted there yet but i use the same name as on here (sorry for the OT-ness) i look into a concealer but as pale as i am i normally have to buy the palest i can find and sometimes even that is too dark.

Legatosgurl
02-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I"d just go with the light basics, nothing that says
HI!!! I"M WEARING MAKEUP!!!!
Try to go as close to your skin tone as you can with the base, and I'd recommend going with a color thats Not black for the eyeliner. I"ve had awesome results with Blue or Gray (Though I adore my silver stuff ^_^)
Make sure to try different techniques when doing this, and practice so you know what you're doing.
Good Luck! ^_^

Marsha Mellow
02-14-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/looks/look.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY19074

I suport make up all the way. I attatched this makeup scheme from M.A.C in case you wanted to try to emulate it.

It looks a little harsh, but I'm not saying you should do your make up as intensly if you don't want to. Just so you know, if you try to "go natural" and play down your make up, you will regret it because you will look like you have nothing on. This is me wearing what I thought at the time was "tons of make up". I'm wearig fake lashes too http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=557493

What I like about this MAC color scheme and I think would be so cute for Sailor Moon is that :
1. The eyelashes are very dark and look cartoonish (I'd even go for fake lashes my self).
2. The cheeks are pink and youthful (although a bit exaggerated. I'd keep the blush at the apple of your cheeks)
3. The Eye shadow has beiges and warmer pinks (which enhances your eye without it looking just like a pink splotch on your lid... If the pink you have if is too pink and you're as pale as you say you are, it will only wash you out even more)
4. The lip gloss is nice and neutral and above all, Sailor Scout shiney.

GOOD LUCK =)