PDA

View Full Version : Base material for Yuna's wings

Koumori
12-12-2002, 09:41 AM
Just to preface: I've never made wings before. Anyway, on Yuna's wedding dress, there are feathered wings that attach at the center back and curve gracefully around her sides (standing out far enough to allow free movement of her arms). Wing gurus: what sort of a base material can I work off of for this? It needs to be something that will hold a curve, yet something that I can still glue feathers to (so a malleable plastic is probably out). I'm making the wings separate from the dress and detachable.

penultimate03
12-12-2002, 12:07 PM
I always use a fairly thick flexible copper wire to make a frame for feather wings, and cover it with flexible chicken wire to glue the feathers to. But that might prove a little heavy.

So experiment, I guess ^_^*

But in the end, I think a wire frame is one of your best bets. Unless someone has a better idea. Anyone? Anyone? ^_^*

Yuna
12-12-2002, 07:51 PM
what I did was I made a base wire pattern of it. After that I traced out on Muslin the shape. I then sewwed batting in between the wire and muslin then hot glued the feathered onto that.

SuthrnBelleChan
12-12-2002, 09:04 PM
::is totally wing illiterate:: i'm doing wedding Yuna too. Yuna: i think your wing idea is good... i just don't understand what you mean ::sweatdrop:: I've never made wings before, and mine don't have to be detachable, i just want some nice easy ones hehe

Yuna
12-12-2002, 10:51 PM
basically you make a base to put the wings onto, how ever you want to go about doing that it up to your personal creativity. Once you have your base, you can either sew or glue the feathers onto that base making it as full and thick as you want.

Koumori
12-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Yuna
basically you make a base to put the wings onto, how ever you want to go about doing that it up to your personal creativity. Once you have your base, you can either sew or glue the feathers onto that base making it as full and thick as you want.

Right, I know (that was the substance of my original question); I'm just wondering what people have used to make that base.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I figured wire would probably be the way to go, but I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to then attach the feathers to it. Time for a trip to Home Depot and some experimenting, I guess.

Yuna
12-13-2002, 06:38 AM
Well, once you have the wire base, sew fabric over it and then glue the feathers onto that fabric... errr... ::thinks:: Make the fabric like a pilliow case over the wire, or like a poket that the wire base goes into. That way you have something to accually glue the feathers ONTO.

Yuna
12-13-2002, 06:43 AM
Errr, let me explain how I did mine in layers:

- wire
- batting
- fabric
- feathers

That might not be how you want to do it though. Another way I had also brainstormed doing was having my base then buying a thick nett-weave to sew/glue over and/or onto the wire. Then sew the feather through that netting. That would be exstremely time consuming, however your results would be seamless and lighter making it easier to attach onto yourself.

Ndi
09-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Thank you for the tips, I'm doing Yuna wedding too and I'm sure I can make use of this.

loki555
09-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Sorry Kou but i think you posted that in the wrong forum *Point the FF subforum* Anyway,i cant wait to see your version of Yuna Wedding Dress ^.^

Studmaster
09-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Well, this thread was made well before the Final Fantasy sub forum was ever, ever made. But for the sake of following the rules, and farness. This gets moved.

Reiko
09-27-2003, 10:14 PM
I used two sponges and plaster... with wire poking out and made the wing.. I love it there is a band going around my waist to hold them in place, and the band is attacted the to center piece of sponge and plaster....

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=60424&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

*feels proud of herself*

lainey
09-28-2003, 10:17 AM
omigosh...
*dies* THOSE WINGS ARE SOO PRETTY

do you mind sharing your e-mail address with me reiko...? please e-mail me at lainey@matrix-designs.net

i'm currently making a wedding yuna...and i was wondering if u can explain the steps of those blasted wings in detail and answer questions and stuff :D

*bows* it'd be appreciated!!

Reiko
10-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Sure not a problem ^_^