PDA

View Full Version : Good for a sort-of beginner? =/

sara*lynn
12-12-2002, 06:25 PM
I've been looking around, trying to figure out what to cosplay as for the next con I go to (either the one in Pittsburgh, or Otakon). Though it's still not final, I'm REALLY set on making Corrector Yui's pink fairy costume. It doesn't look that hard, to me, but it helps to have an opinion.

If I do decide to do this, I wonder.. is there any way to make her skirt poofy? Like a tu-tu, I mean.. I see a lot of skirts in costumes that SHOULD be poofy (a-la St. Tail) but aren't. Do you just add extra skirts underneath? Just curious!

~ Sara Lynn <3

(I attatched a file of the costume, incase you aren't familiar with it! I have other reference pictues, this one is just nice.)

Koumori
12-12-2002, 08:35 PM
It's hard for me to tell from that picture, but it doesn't look to me like she's wearing additional underskirts/petticoats. Sakura, Rose Brides, etc. usually just add fluffy petticoats to make their skirts stand out, but this one looks to me like it's made of a very stiff material - I don't see anything underneath.

Celine
12-12-2002, 08:40 PM
It's sort of difficult to see the skirt in that picture since she is sitting down. How far out does it poof, and what sort of material are you planning to make it out of? ^^

sara*lynn
12-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah, you're right.. it really isn't that POOFY. It's just kind of stiff, so I think I can make it have some shape by just finding a stiffer material. It doesn't just hang like a normal skirt, it's a little round.

I'm not sure what kind of material I want to make the whole outfit out of. It's not shiney in the anime, but someone did a wonderful job on the costume (http://www.geocities.com/cosplaymouse/catalog/cyui_yui_fairy.html).. I just hate how /shiney/ it is. I don't know, it just seems distracting to me. I'm honestly not that familiar with material types, so I'll have to talk with my mother about it. She worked at a clothing company for 16 years, so her helping me with my costumes is a big help. ;) I think something simple like cotton would do, though, at least for the pink.

~ Sara Lynn <3

hypergirl
12-12-2002, 10:03 PM
If you need something that will make it kind of poofy, there is a type of material that you can find at Joannes (It's a material store) You could even check Hobby Lobby. I don't remember the exact name but, it is like Bridal Tulle (pronounced Tool) Or, you could just go with tool by itself. It might end up being a bit scratchy though.

sara*lynn
12-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Oh, thank you! Yes, we have a JoAnne Fabrics store not too far from my house, thankfully. I'll make sure to take a look at the stuff. =)

~ Sara Lynn <3

Koumori
12-13-2002, 07:30 AM
Tulle is usually used for making petticoats - it's sort of a stiff plastic mesh, so it probably wouldn't be good used on its own. However, maybe you could use it or something similar as an interlining to make your dress fabric stiffer (it won't make it stand out in any kind of gravity-defying way though). I would recommend putting at least one other layer (lining or anything else) between it and you if you decide to go that route, as it's scratchy as heck. In addition, you could also try wiring or otherwise extra-stiffening the hem.

DancingVampire
12-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Ifu sew Tulle on at the right angek on a leotard or tight top it puffs out if 1.have gatered enough of it and 2 have 2 layers to make it look neater many dance costumes have a piece of colored chiffon over the tulle ARG! speaking of ballet I need to get my make up on!! I've got Nutkracker in 2 hours and I still gotta eat get dressed and do my hair *_*;

Chaio-
Dancing Vampire

cutekawaii
12-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Tulle is definatly the best option. Her skirt looks like it's got a tulle layer on top. It's very stiff at all, as Koumouri said (I think she's thinking of crinolyn). I used it for the outer skirt of my Le Ciel Mana and it turned out GREAT. You can see a pic of it here:
http://moonglow.nu/nikkichan/cygnenoir/cosplay/mine/mana-leciel/mana-leciel4.jpg

see? wonderously poofy. But, tulle is also verrry translucent. You really have to layer it on to get the effect you want. But it also looks like she has a solid white skirt under the tulle, so you'll only need a few layers. That would be the best option, since yes, tulle is a bit scratchy, but not terribly so. Another option is chiffon. It's not as see through, but it's more expensive and if you don't serge/hem the edges, it'll fray. Tulle does not fray.

sara*lynn
12-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Ohh, thank you for the picture, cutekawaii - now that I see tulle, I reconize it. That would be very pretty to layer, and have something under it. I think that it'd look very very pretty! (the costume that you showed me is also very nice, I'm impressed!)

I'll definately consider the tulle as an option for the skirt, when I get to that part. I'm going to have a talk with my mom about the costume after Christmas, when I get money so I can shop for fabrics. The wings will be the absolute last thing I do, so I'm not even going to worry about them right now. *lol*

Thank you all again for your opinions and ideas, they're appreciated!

~ Sara Lynn <3

Koumori
12-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii
It's very stiff at all, as Koumouri said (I think she's thinking of crinolyn).

Naw, I'm just guessing. :)

cutekawaii
12-14-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Koumori
Naw, I'm just guessing. :)

aa i meant to say NOT very stiff XD ph33r my 1337 typing skillz. But yeah, i think the petticoat stuff is crinolyn...

Koumori
12-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by cutekawaii
aa i meant to say NOT very stiff XD ph33r my 1337 typing skillz. But yeah, i think the petticoat stuff is crinolyn...

It's hard to tell what terminology the manufacturers and sellers are using these days. Historically, crinoline was a stiff but flexible material made out of horsehair - nowadays, tulle, mesh and crinoline are just different weights/stiffnesses of the same kind of plastic mesh material. But if memory serves, tulle is very lightweight and fluffy-looking (I'm thinking Swan Lake tutus) and crinoline should be stiffer/heavier.

cutekawaii
12-14-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
But if memory serves, tulle is very lightweight and fluffy-looking (I'm thinking Swan Lake tutus) and crinoline should be stiffer/heavier.

Yup. I use crinolin a lot for super heavy interfacing, like when I need collars to stand up.

thatrelenagirl
01-12-2003, 12:12 AM
I don't know if this would work, but if it had to be poofy and you wanted a different fabric, could you just sew the two together, so that the top layer is the color/fabric type you want and the bottom layer will make it poofy?