PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Halloween Contest In Boston, Mass

Dymatrex
08-24-2004, 08:00 PM
for those in the local Boston area, yesterday, I went to the shop Tokyo Kid in Harvard Square, and they were mentioning something about having a cosplay contest on Halloween.

You are allowed to cosplay as characters from Animes/Manga and video games. You can even do original cosplay.

Judging;
For dressing up as a character, judging will be based on how much effort seems to have gone into the costume, and how close the cosplay looks to the real character. You CANNOT have all ur items bought, u must make them.

For original characters, judging will be based on creativeness and what not, so make them as snazzy as you like.

For more information, go to the store location of Tokyo Kid at harvard square. If you need directions, you can go to their website.

www.tokyokid.com

I hope that many of you will attend.

sephygoth
08-25-2004, 10:47 AM
for those in the local Boston area, yesterday, I went to the shop Tokyo Kid in Hamilton Square, and they were mentioning something about having a cosplay contest on Halloween.

For more information, go to the store location of Tokyo Kid at hamilton square. If you need directions, you can go to their website.

If I make it I'll go for it, is this the first time they're doing this? only have 2 months to make somethin new! :eeek:
BTW a bit of extra info, I'm pretty sure it's Harvard Square :rolleyes: (red line right?)

Adrienne
08-26-2004, 12:01 PM
If I make it I'll go for it, is this the first time they're doing this? only have 2 months to make somethin new! :eeek:

I feel your pain. O_O I'll just have to start now! XD

And yeah, it is Harvard Square, inside the garage. :)

Dymatrex
08-27-2004, 10:42 AM
D'oh, right, HARVARD Square. I dunno why I wrote Hamilton so many times...

*Slaps self*

and no, this will not be the first time they did this, but they're hoping to get a lot of people to participate this year. Not many did last time.

Kurthy133
08-27-2004, 09:14 PM
i saw that too! XD

i'll be there! <3

blueNINE
08-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Hm. I've actually been to that store before. Will consider going to this as the event nears.

Dymatrex
09-19-2004, 05:23 PM
You'll want to. Given that they have so many rare goodies, one of the prizes maybe be something you've wanted but never had the money for...if the guys who run it are gonna be really generous, that is...

Ali
09-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Dude. So there.

Thanks for posting the info!

lialia
09-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Nooooooo! Ill be on a plane back from san diego overnight halloween :(

ickyness

number18
09-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Hmmm!!

Man, if I get my Schierke costume done in time, I'll definitely want to go. Cause really, I don't know anyone around me that's actually doing anything besides NOT dressing up and then drinking beer. :P

Blue Sasarai
09-30-2004, 11:16 PM
if i have nothing else planned i might ^^ id like to wear something new but i prob wont, since my stuffs kinda new anyway.

ive been to tokyokid in costumes soo many times already lol, so this time it wont be any different.

rei_hino
10-01-2004, 10:49 PM
I am definitely going. Problem is. . my mom insists on coming and staying =_=What is she going to do? She refuses to leave me and my friend alone in Harvard square at night (even though we aren't fully alone because we're with 2 others as well) (and I also don't blame her) but what the heck is she suppose to do?? Can she really just sit there and watch? She's going to call me over every 5 minutes to ask me "why's that guy wearing that?" or "she's showing too much skin you know!" and if I were to glomp someone, she'd yell at me for hugging a stranger. -_- what to do, what to do . . .But can she really just walk around the mall the whole time? I'd rather have my dad come with a freddy mask (he should buy one) because although he would also be mad at me for glomping, he would be less. . .naggy? Not making sure I'm holding his hand every 5 minutes.
Anyway, I'm going to shoot early for my rikku costume. I don't look like rikku at all, Im brown haired^^ But the costume takes effort, and I'll work hard on that. I can't use a wig because I don't have enough money, and even fiI did, how do I get it into a decent ponytail? I'd mess it up, lol. Maybe I'll just try to spray my hair with hair paint stuff. It can double as a hold^_^ Win or loose, I still have fun. . .

ByronSpiegal
10-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Sounds like fun count me in ^^

Dymatrex
10-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Okay, well, just to let you guys know that info about the contest has been put upn on there site.

www.tokyokid.com

Check it out for more details.

Zirofax
10-06-2004, 03:00 PM
What time will the contest be at?

albinodragon
10-06-2004, 05:48 PM
I wish I knew about that before I bought half the items for my Tokyo mew mew Ichigo costume!

Eilonnwy
10-09-2004, 12:16 AM
Whee, I'm going! (BTW, Tokykid is in Cambridge, not Boston) And I'm going to cosplay Miroku. In fact I was just sewing a lot of the black robe together earlier, I'm about halfway done with the whole costume. Hee! Then i have to make the staff....x_x

Sadly though I work on Halloween so I won't be there at the Scheduled time. But they said I can come earlier and get my picture taken. Plus they plan on having a goodie bag for everyone who comes in costume. So I'll be there from noon to 4ish. ^.^

Dymatrex
10-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Lol.

I, myself, know I can't make it. I'm pissed, but hey, Boston's a five hour trip from NJ, and since I'm being FLOODED with work right now, especially college apps and SAT's, this contest is not on the highest of my list.

But...that could change. You never know...

Sweet~Pea
10-21-2004, 03:43 PM
I'll be there. probably only before the contest though. I don't like traveling around boston at night, especially in costume. Anyways, I need to take the commuter rail home so I'll be there in the 12-5ish time. I'm going to wear one of my already finished costumes, not sure which one though. Hummmm...

Cheers

sephygoth
10-27-2004, 12:26 PM
I don't like traveling around boston at night, need to take the commuter rail home so I'll be there in the 12-5ish time.
Cheers
me hears ya there! (S Station man) only way in and out of
the city for me, but least it's reliable... and if ya needs yojimbo we'll
be around case ya stay late ^^ if I leave Bos on Sun,be between 9 and 11pm anyway.

I'm gonna be there bout 2-5pm, maybe couple times since friends gonna be all done up too, gonna be huge Sat, Sunday's toyko kid is like a refreshing recovery :rolleyes:
Um, isn't this compact store gonna be a bit stuffed? :dance:

Dymatrex
10-29-2004, 08:26 AM
It might, but I don't think that will discourage anyone from actually attending.

LadyFae
10-31-2004, 08:13 AM
Um, isn't this compact store gonna be a bit stuffed? :dance:

*de-lurks for a moment*

They're actually doing the contest outside the store in the hallway :) Although I'm sure the store will still be stuffed too!

I'll be there helpin the boys out. Think its all gonna be too cool! Hope everyone comes and has a good time! :jjacks:

sephygoth
10-31-2004, 10:12 PM
*de-lurks for a moment*

They're actually doing the contest outside the store in the hallway :) Although I'm sure the store will still be stuffed too!

I'll be there helpin the boys out. Think its all gonna be too cool! Hope everyone comes and has a good time! :jjacks:

*ends darkstalking*
who won? anyone know?

Kurthy133
11-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Well..... *twiddles her thumbs*... me! :D So crazy~ My Belldandy really needs fixing in my opinion. But I was honored! <3

Fellow winners~ Ali as Witch Hunter Robin, a Yuna, a Sumomo, and I know I'm leaving someone out ^^; Gomen! If anyone knows the others aliases - please post!
<3

(P.S. - I'll be posting pictures of the event soon! ^^)
Edit - Sorry again, those were for the master group. I'd love to know about the Novice!

LadyFae
11-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Fellow winners~ Ali as Witch Hunter Robin, a Yuna, a Sumomo, and I know I'm leaving someone out ^^; Gomen! If anyone knows the others aliases - please post!
<3
(P.S. - I'll be posting pictures of the event soon! ^^)
Edit - Sorry again, those were for the master group. I'd love to know about the Novice!

whoa, 2 posts in the space of a few days...how unusual for me :)

The final count of entrants in the Tokyo Kid contest was 82. :thumbsup:

guess they got a little AB fever ;)

I know the full list of names will be listed online soon, but here's a character breakdown. Someone else might be able to fill in the cosplay.com handles! I'm doing the list from memory, so I'm sorry for people who I'm not identifying properly!

Master Class:
1st place: Belldandy aka Kurthy133
2nd place: Sumomo ( I seem to remember this girl as the excited clown trowa from AB03)
3rd place: Samurai Yuna from X-2
Honorable Mention: Witch Hunter Robin

Aprentice Class:
1st place: (deer/bear looking creature with giant pink hat from anime I have not watched, but seen pictures of)
2nd place: Sessho-maru (Inu Yasha)
3rd place: Aeris (FFVII)
Honorable Mention: Anthy
Honorable Mention: (red tiger creature, cannot remember character)
Honorable Mention: (totally blanking. and I know the character too.priest-type, really well done...gah!)

Special Class:
Plushie Kero
little boy Garu
little girl Tomiko (store mascot)

The Honorable mentions were made up on the spot by the judges, since some of us couldn't deal with our picks not getting any recognition! :skidude2:

PatrickD
11-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Fae! :)

The 1st place Apprentice was "Chopper" from Final Fantasy, I believe.
The red tiger was Red XIII from Final Fantasy
...and I forget the name of the priest-type outfit.

Zirofax
11-01-2004, 06:59 PM
lol,I was Chopper, but he is from one piece ^^

LadyFae
11-01-2004, 07:08 PM

I thought it was One Piece, but I couldn't find a picture!

YAY ME!

*sheepish grin*

very cute costume :)

number18
11-01-2004, 07:29 PM

Man, I loved your costume. ;-; A lot. It was my absolute favorite costume (even though Dizzy's J.Talbain was AMAZING)

:jjacks:

AnnaNeko
11-01-2004, 10:07 PM
The final count of entrants in the Tokyo Kid contest was 82. :thumbsup:

whoa! Thats a lot of entries!
I feel even more special bein lil finalist for 2 seconds at least ^__^

*runs off to upload pictures*

AnnaNeko
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Me was a veeeery smart girl that forgot to charge camera ><;;

Salvaged whatever pictures I could and they are now up in my Gallery!

*nudge nudge* comeon guys, share your photos

TokyoKid
11-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Ok guys. For those that want the official list of winners. Here they are.
(Character names only)

Master Level:
1st - Belldandy(Ah! My Goddess)
2nd - Sumomo(Chobits)
3rd - Samurai Yuna(Final Fantasy X-2)
Honorable Mention - Robin Sena(Witch Hunter Robin)

Apprentice Level:
1st - Tony Tony Chopper(One Piece)
2nd - Sesshomaru(Inu Yasha)
3rd - Aeris Gainsborough(Final Fantasy 7)
Honorable Mention- Red XIII(Final Fantasy 7)
Honorable Mention- Fujiwara no Sai(Hikaru no Go)
Honorable Mention- Hyatt(Excel Saga)

Special Prizes:
- Kero(Card Captor Sakura)
- Gaara(Naruto)
- Anna Kyoyama(Shaman King)
- Tomiko Asami(Tokyo Kid Mascot)

sephygoth
11-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Man, I loved your costume. ;-; A lot. It was my absolute favorite costume (even though Dizzy's J.Talbain was AMAZING)

:jjacks:
yay! thanks, I know it's not exactly mainstream but at least
someone noticed...
hee, means a lot coming from an android too :rolleyes:

number18
11-02-2004, 10:31 PM
yay! thanks, I know it's not exactly mainstream but at least
someone noticed...
hee, means a lot coming from an android too :rolleyes:

I was surprised more people didn't know who you were. I always thought Darkstalkers was pretty popular...then again, I've always been a big fan so maybe I'm making things up. :jjacks:

And =polite cough= no androids, Dizzy... cyborgs. Cyborgs , my dear. :D

Dewy
11-02-2004, 10:50 PM
^_^; I took no photos...*forgot to get camera*

Weeee. I had too much fun, I was dead tired the next day. xD

Crystal Clover
11-03-2004, 01:55 AM
that was so much fun! cant wait till my camera is used up so i can get my pictures developed. . .*starts taking random pictures*
i will post asap!!
now i am more excited for anime boston!!

Eilonnwy
11-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Here are my pictures!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/ely_kit/168941.html?mode=reply

The pictures are in photobucket, but my journal has descriptions...as well as the link to photobucket. ^_^ Enjoy.

BTW, I was the Miroku there early in the day. And I had to leave at 4 so I didn't get to be there when the best of it was going on. ;-;

Chewibunny
11-04-2004, 01:52 PM
^_^; I took no photos...*forgot to get camera*

Weeee. I had too much fun, I was dead tired the next day. xD

EHhh? what do you mean you had no camera? O_o;
you were practicly giving away mine! ;_;
I told you, you can take pictures, cause you can delete then after if they weren't good ^_^; baka Kyoko-hime TwT

btw, i had a great time, hope everyone else did too ^___^