PDA

View Full Version : Possible AZ n00b here, hello. :D

OvershadowCloud
08-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I've never been to AZ and I'm thinking about attending '05, since I'll be in NC a lot, might as well. ^^ And I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the convention, iteself? I've been to the site, but it's always good to hear experiences and opinions firsthand.

Also, I understand that Yuu Watase attended last year. Any chance you think that she'll go again in '05? XD

Finding Beauty
08-28-2004, 12:08 AM
I've never been to AZ and I'm thinking about attending '05, since I'll be in NC a lot, might as well. ^^ And I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the convention, iteself? I've been to the site, but it's always good to hear experiences and opinions firsthand.

Also, I understand that Yuu Watase attended last year. Any chance you think that she'll go again in '05? XD

This year's Animazement was my first convention experience. I know a lot of people have said it was disappointing compared to AZ '03, but I enjoyed it -- because, granted, I had little else to compare it too. I think it's worth the time and money if you're in the area -- I wouldn't travel any great distance to go to it, but living in NC myself, I was happy with the experience.

I would have enjoyed having a few more activities to go to -- but that was partly my own fault, for underestimating how crowded things (such as the cosplay contest) would be, and due to the fact that I was sick part of the time and pulled down by a friend who didn't want to do anything but play DDR.

I think Yuu Watase has been a guest of honor for a couple of years now. I don't see much reason why she wouldn't be back next year, unless there's a scheduling conflict/issue.

Edited to add: A good idea would be to look at pictures from this year's con, IMHO. I did that with last year's and thus decided I wanted to go. (Though I was slightly disappointed to find Cosplay.com wouldn't be there in an official capacity this year -- I suppose it's that whole issue of about three or four cons taking place that weekend.)

Though I will say, if you've been to a larger con (like Otakon), just don't anticipate too much out of AZ. It's small ... aforementioned DDR-friend had been to Otakon and was therefore unimpressed by what AZ had to offer -- but it's a much smaller con than Otakon. By far.

Sh!bby
08-28-2004, 11:57 PM
AZ03 was my first con, though I only got to go on Saturday. It was a ton of fun, even though I was too afraid and confused to make many friends. Didn't cosplay either. It was a last minute plan...my dad originally wasn't going to let me go at all.

AZ04 was my first full con, and I ADORED it. It would have been a bit more fun if I was actually single at the time, because I wouldn't have felt so tied down. But I had fun, and got to wear a spiffy costume. Unfortunately, my mom went and found out what yaoi was -.-; so now I have to be careful about that. Oh well.

You should go to AZ :P It roxxors.

Finding Beauty
08-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Unfortunately, my mom went and found out what yaoi was -.-; so now I have to be careful about that. Oh well.

I know that feeling. Not that anyone in my family knows about it (or, at least, that I'm interested in it), but still. I had to watch it when taking my yaoiful pictures.

Sh!bby
08-29-2004, 05:31 PM
I know that feeling. Not that anyone in my family knows about it (or, at least, that I'm interested in it), but still. I had to watch it when taking my yaoiful pictures.

I just got some of my pics back the other day...there were a few Muraki x Tsuzuki ones I had to hide...

Finding Beauty
08-29-2004, 06:29 PM
I just got some of my pics back the other day...there were a few Muraki x Tsuzuki ones I had to hide...

Lol. The only yaoi (or would it be yuri if they're actually two girls ... ?) pictures we took were on my friend Josh's digital camera -- thus, there are no hard copies unless we take the notion to print them out.

I was laughing during most of them, so they're not very loyal to the characters we were cosplaying. Anna kept staring at me all intensely and I'd burst into giggles. It was the whole concept of being in a glass elevator (not even quite sure why I told her it was in the hotel -- our friends who were actually booked there hadn't even noticed).

If you've got a scanner I'd like to see your pics. ^_^

EnigmaticAngst
09-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Lol. The only yaoi (or would it be yuri if they're actually two girls ... ?) pictures we took were on my friend Josh's digital camera -- thus, there are no hard copies unless we take the notion to print them out.

I was laughing during most of them, so they're not very loyal to the characters we were cosplaying. Anna kept staring at me all intensely and I'd burst into giggles. It was the whole concept of being in a glass elevator (not even quite sure why I told her it was in the hotel -- our friends who were actually booked there hadn't even noticed).

If you've got a scanner I'd like to see your pics. ^_^

Yes, you wouldn't stay IC. Bad!

Next year we're taking yaoi-ful pictures. =P

nixxer
09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
AZ03 was my first con and I went to AZ04, and I can honestly say I really enjoy it. Some of my friends are growing tired of it, but I still find it cool, plus its nice and close, only con that is it seems like so thats a added plus. I had a ton of fun at it, even if it is small.
AZ has a more personal feeling to it, otakon is nice and all but I liked talked to no one besides the people I knew and it was so huge anyone I did talk to I wouldnt see for the rest of the weekend, AZ I made a ton of new friends and was able to see them over and over cause its not over sized.
I think you'll enjoy it, a lot of fun people are going, you should come and party with us :)

Finding Beauty
09-07-2004, 11:41 PM
I think you'll enjoy it, a lot of fun people are going, you should come and party with us :)

We still need to have our big gathering-of-cosplay.com-members.

Yes, you wouldn't stay IC. Bad!

Next year we're taking yaoi-ful pictures. =P

You dragged me half-dressed into a glass elevator and stared at me when we were trying to pose.

Besides, my nerve endings were about this "-" long. I was so incredibly frazzled that I was up and down the whole time. Hopefully next year I will actually be able to enjoy myself more. I mean, this year was fun ... but not what I would have hoped for out of a first con experience. It should've felt less rushed than it did, you know?

:japan:

AnimesChild65
09-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Next year I want people to take pics of my pretty costume! >.<

Finding Beauty
09-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Next year I want people to take pics of my pretty costume! >.<

I try to get pictures of everyone I can. A few people I missed from a) not running into them, b) not getting the opportunity to approach them, or c) rarely being intimidated.

I have the problem that I know at least a dozen people took my picture, if not more -- but I can't FIND any of them anywhere.

Invincible Kaji
09-14-2004, 12:49 AM
I've been going to AZ since 2001, and it's always been a blast. It's all in being social while indulging your geekiness. That is the essence of conventioning. There's no reason not to be social, as everyone there shares a common interest.

What I'm saying is to come and have a blast.