PDA

View Full Version : I feel so old...

Ranma Saotome
06-24-2002, 08:47 PM
...when I do cosplay and hit the con circuit. I am 24 years old running around cosplaying a 16 y/o Ranma Saotome. I love every minute of it tho! :)

I wanna know, am I the only 'old guy' at the cons? :bouncer:

Quies
06-24-2002, 09:13 PM
you just reminded me off how my friend was going off the deep end when she relized that soon she'll be older then most of her favorite charecters.
but no, i bet not. i konw of some people who are you age, and seen pics of people who might have been older.

Ranma Saotome
06-24-2002, 10:13 PM
Oh joy! :)

Yggdrasil Pie
06-24-2002, 10:34 PM
o0o! 24 to 16! ^_^
You can feel young forever this way! hehehe...

Ayaka
06-24-2002, 11:08 PM
Well there are plenty of "older" people on the con circuit. I met a group of ladies on the super-slow elevator from the tenth floor who were probably in their fifties, no kids in tow, who were shopping for stuff and wearing a bunch of anime pins. Trust me, it was for them, not for someone else. And the folks running the cosplay panel at ACen were certainly no young chickens, and the woman was cosplaying Sakura (CCS, natch). You're not older, just more experienced. ^^

Ranma Saotome
06-24-2002, 11:21 PM
Not really. I haven't done many cosplays. But when I do and I talk to some other peeps that do cosplay, they're between 14 and 18... Mostly younger. Sometimes I feel like a hentai when I do talk to them and ask for their e-mail addy and stuff... ^^;

Rosiel
06-25-2002, 10:08 AM
> I wanna know, am I the only 'old guy' at the cons?

I'm older than you. But I'm not a guy. ^___^
I outlived Treize. *sniffle*

> Sometimes I feel like a hentai when I do talk to them and ask for their e-mail addy and stuff...

I have the opposite problem. I don't look my age, so the people who ask for my contact info are usually a lot younger than I am... which lead to embarassing situations. "You're HOW old?"

>__<

peacecraft
06-25-2002, 10:41 AM
I passed the quarter century mark, so 24 isn't old to me. Not only are you not the only "old guy", but my entire cosplay group right now is as old or older than you. >_<

Third-child
06-25-2002, 11:19 AM
I am in the same boat. I am older than you, and cosplaying younger characters.. So.. no feeling old.. Until you 80!

Ewwee.. Evil visual of 80 yearold in cosplay!

Legato/Machan
06-25-2002, 12:07 PM
OMG!!! You think you're old with 24? Imagine when you get at 30.

> I don't look my age, so the people who ask for my contact info are usually a lot younger than I am... which lead to embarassing situations. "You're HOW old?"

So do I. But people say "17!?!? I thought you were 20". Can you imagine a 17 year guy that looks like a 20? That's me. I think because I'm more mature than other people with my age.

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Rosiel
I have the opposite problem. I don't look my age, so the people who ask for my contact info are usually a lot younger than I am... which lead to embarassing situations. "You're HOW old?"

>__<

I get that to... Especially the girls...

"You're 15?!" has become my phrase, thinking that young girls shouldn't be so tall and/or wel developed.

*shoots myself in the foot* Ow. ^^

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by peacecraft
I passed the quarter century mark, so 24 isn't old to me. Not only are you not the only "old guy", but my entire cosplay group right now is as old or older than you. >_<

Gee thanks... :p

Looks like I'll be seeing you in the 'Cosplayers Retirement Home' in a few years then! :D

Back in my day we had to cute the fabric ourselves... Dogone whippersnappers! :razz:

astronema
06-25-2002, 12:43 PM
I say it's whatever, as long as you think there's something wrong then it's gonna look that way. Don't put too much pressure on trying to feel young or having a good time, if you do then you'll mess your whole trip up wondering why it wasn't as fun as it should have been. I can tell you to not care about peoples opinons but it gets to you anyway. Just do what you did before forget your age and act stupid like you normally do. Don't think that should be too hard, and if you feel your still to old to be wearing a costume don't go as anyone and try to get caught up in the atmosphere of the kon. Alot of people think the same way so don't stress it, cause it takes the fun out of a kon. OK?

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 12:53 PM
^.^ Maybe I'm like that cuz I'm single and my mind just spins at high speeds and stuff. *laughs and slams into a wall* Ow...

Hikaruchan
06-25-2002, 02:59 PM
My older sister and also Catherine were cosplaying at AZ, and they are both in mid 30s. So, there are more mature cosplayers on the circuit. And there is a wonderful costumer in California that is in her 50s.

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
My older sister and also Catherine were cosplaying at AZ, and they are both in mid 30s. So, there are more mature cosplayers on the circuit. And there is a wonderful costumer in California that is in her 50s.

Fifty gil says that you know what my next question is going to be. :D

kelldar
06-25-2002, 04:37 PM
hehe I'll be 23 in sept... I don't mind so much. but then I too usually look younger than I am. last year this woman at work thought I was 15 oO; I was like, er, lady, if I were 15 wouldn't I be in school right now?? hehe XD

Jibrille
06-25-2002, 05:00 PM
lots of college age, but i notice cause i am one i guess. the age variety at cons never ceases to amaze me. makes it more itneresting.

the cutest thing ever though, (speaking of people not looking their age) there was a huge group of us ranging from 18 - 24 and i believe it was at katsucon 2 years ago and we met this girl in a shampoo costume, she was the cutest shampoo ever and she ended up hanging out with us for most of the weekend (we had a small ranma group so it made sense ^^) then at the dance saturday night she caught on that we were college students and we asked how old she was and she said 15. we almost got our jaws caught on the carpet, we figured she was at least a senior in high school, it was so cute, i wish when i was that young i would have gotten to hang out with college students. she seemed to feel a little awkward after she found that out but she was one of us by then so she got over that real quick. ^^ lol
cons rock...

Ranma Saotome
06-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Jibrille
then at the dance saturday night she caught on that we were college students and we asked how old she was and she said 15. we almost got our jaws caught on the carpet, we figured she was at least a senior in high school, it was so cute, i wish when i was that young i would have gotten to hang out with college students.

If I had a dime for everytime I was in that situation... I'd have a lot of dimes. :D

Tenshi
06-25-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm lucky. I'm 20, but I look younger, at least when I take my glasses off ^_^. But hey! Who cares how old you are? As long as you're having fun, you'll feel young ^_^.

Kenshin Ken
06-27-2002, 07:41 PM
hmm, time flies by when you're in the con circut for a few years... I started cosplaying at age 15, and I'm turning 19 next month ^^;. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I feel indimidated when a 14 year old is as tall as me..or taller ^^;;; *sihgs8 I hate being a short guy ^^;;

Now for apperances..mm.. I guess when I cut my hair and shave a little, I can appear around the age of 16.. * minus the glasses* ^^;;

engrish
06-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Man you guys are making me feel old I'm 26 right now.

Ranma Saotome
06-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by engrish
Man you guys are making me feel old I'm 26 right now.

Now you know how I feel. :p

peacecraft
06-28-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm 26 too. But I've felt old for a while.

Hikaruchan
06-28-2002, 05:04 PM
Someone pass me my cane and geritol

Ranma Saotome
06-28-2002, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
Someone pass me my cane and geritol

As soon as I get to my walker...

Renzokuken
06-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Old geezers! ;)

I'm turning 20 this August (AXNY is right after my birthday, yay! ;D), and I actually feel like an old timer around some other people I know-- pal of mine from the dorms used to download anime by the CD, he'd be all, "Well, have you ever seen this, this, and this?" I'll stare quietly. Guess I'm just getting lagged behind the rest of the world. I remember when I was awesome just because I had all of Rurouni Kenshin fansubbed before it was picked up by Anime Works and ADV. (*wistful sigh and longing for the 'old days'* ;_;)

But hey, it's a great way to show your interests. Rare is it that you can do such things and not get looked at like you're a total nutbar, you know? I guess cosplay is kind of like the sister outlet to fanart in that way...

Kenshin Ken
06-30-2002, 11:46 AM
hehe...^^; I had aunties that were lke that! since I was a kid, they would watch fansubbed anime or stuff they rented outta J-town video. I've watched some fansubs over the years since then....and I skim thru my mind and think " Hey I saw this before!...in chiense I think...but I saw this already!" it makes me feel a bit experianced ^^:;. Then when you go check out anime for yourself and you rent out soemthing old...you would remember seeing this stuff as a kid ^^;;;

Nemui Yume
07-03-2002, 01:16 AM
ahhh don't feel old cuz i know people in their mid 30's still cosplaying and they still act like if they were in their mid 20's and it shouldn't be too bad either your doing something fun and your sharing it with others that feel the same way.

but people older than what they seem to be well.. er... good for them! cosplay lives on i suppose :D hehe i think i won't stop cosplaying for another few years or so- it's too fun to stop now

~Stella