PDA

View Full Version : Tayuya (naruto) cosplay help

Sailor Fortune
08-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey, all~
I have a question about Tayuya's hat/helmet thing.
I'm unsure as to whether the black portions would be hard, like a hardhat. Could it be made out of fabric, like a beanie, instead?
And the rope. Why is that ugly thing there? Are there any places that sell that thickness of rope, and how would you recommend coloring it (spray paint, dye, etc)?
Also, about the black around the collar of her shirt/robe. Would that just be a strip of black sewn directly onto the collar, or do you think that's another shirt underneath? it looks more like a strip of fabric, IMO.
OK, so, if anyone could provide any help, I'd lurff you forever!

ZakuKitty
08-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Hey, all~
I have a question about Tayuya's hat/helmet thing.
I'm unsure as to whether the black portions would be hard, like a hardhat. Could it be made out of fabric, like a beanie, instead?
And the rope. Why is that ugly thing there? Are there any places that sell that thickness of rope, and how would you recommend coloring it (spray paint, dye, etc)?
Also, about the black around the collar of her shirt/robe. Would that just be a strip of black sewn directly onto the collar, or do you think that's another shirt underneath? it looks more like a strip of fabric, IMO.
OK, so, if anyone could provide any help, I'd lurff you forever!

In response to the question about the hat: It really matters on what is comfortable for you to wear. To me, it looks hard like a helmet but there are fabrics out there that can give the impression that it is.

As for the rope, my friend's mom cosplayed Orochimaru and did a fabulous job on her rope. I'll find out what she made it out of for you. :chatah:

Eleryth
08-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Which one is Tayuya? Can you post a reference picture?

And dude, zakukitty - I love Genma! Can't wait to see your costume. He's so undercosplayed and underloved. You're one of my heroes.

Sailor Fortune
08-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Ref pictures.. I knew I forgot something when I made the post. :waaaah: Oh well, I'll fix that now.
Here (http://www.geocities.com/snowprincss/naruto_soundnin0110.jpg) is the first one...
Annnnd here (http://www.geocities.com/snowprincss/naruto_soundnin0114.jpg) is the second one. It's not all that clear, but it's a full bodyshot.
This (http://www.geocities.com/snowprincss/naruto_soundnin0178.jpg) shows her and another teammate from behind, and the rope looks sort of oddly knotted. (It's not that clear, but you can still see it)

Thank you, zakukitty, for the information. I think I will just make the hat out of fabric, but I'll have to scout around for the right one... Oh, would you mind also asking how the rope was tied? I haven't a clue as to how to go about it.

Thanks again! :)

Eleryth
08-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Ah. Ok, this one.

I agree - make the hat comfortable. If you're wearing a wig, your head will be hot. You don't want to wear another layer of non-breathable fabric, right? I don't think it's that hard. Plastics and metal have different animated reflecitons, and this one seems to be shaded the same was as the shorts. Therefore, I think it's fabric with some minor embellishments. (Only my opinion!).

The big cord thing - you can make two very long tubes, then stuff them, and wrap them together, sewing (by hand) to keep them that way. Just make them out of fabric that is a similar color. You could then tie them in a bow, or fake a bow somehow, and add wire to those ends so they stay up. I'd also love to find out how that person did their bow - and even cooler since it was someone's mom! (Or, hm, have wire in each of the tubes, then wrap them. The wire should keep them together, and it would help shape the bows and stuff. Just make sure it's thick enough wire.)

The collar - I think it's just a black collar on the shirt-thing.

Honestly, though? I'm surprised it's a girl. I had thought they were all boys (her chest is rather small and non-showing, so I had no idea. I don't read the manga, either). >.<

I've got the animation guides at home. I'll give them a look-see after and see what I find.

waste0fcarb0n
08-29-2004, 11:15 PM
AH! Finally! A Tayuya cosplayer!

The hat... well, it doesn't look like it's made of hard material to me... I have to agree with Eleryth.

Wish I could help more... but good luck!

janmurphy
08-29-2004, 11:21 PM
Warning, if youve only seen the anime and not read the manga this might be spoiling stuff, or just confusing.
It cant be made of hard material, because when she goes 2nd form it rips like cloth. I am making her as well, but Im doing 2nd form so no hat. Just waiting for them to tell me what color they are in 2nd form.

PS knee socks make the BEST arm bands.

ZakuKitty
08-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Warning, if youve only seen the anime and not read the manga this might be spoiling stuff, or just confusing.
It cant be made of hard material, because when she goes 2nd form it rips like cloth. I am making her as well, but Im doing 2nd form so no hat. Just waiting for them to tell me what color they are in 2nd form.

PS knee socks make the BEST arm bands.

So do arm warmers...:P aka Did that for my Zaku cosplay

kerochan
08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
You can add wire to the tube that Elryth suggested to make and that way you could make the "rope" easier to move around and make those defying gravity knots and bow that the rope has. The top just looks like its a contrasting collar so I would just add the black to it. It would reduce bulk and be a lot easier to move around in if it were just a single top. The design can either be a patch-type thing and be appliqued on or it could fabric painted on with BRUSHABLE FABRIC PAINT. Making the hat out of fabric is a lot easier than trying to make it like a helmet. I was originally going to do that for my Konohamaru and I ended up making it like a beanie and I was really glad I did!

Sailor Fortune
08-30-2004, 06:08 PM
Yayy!
Thanks for all the help, everyone! :heart:
I'll post pictures as soon as I get everything put together right.