PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal...

Kilayi
09-01-2004, 06:37 PM
Since it is somewhat unfair for anyone to have to drive an hour + every time we meet up, I say that every other time at least don't even consider Raleigh.

Yes, CCR started there, but now it has expanded, and many people are outside Raleigh, maybe even outnumbering the Raleigh dwelling folks.

As far as my knowledge, the only non-Raleigh area trip was to the zoo, which is here in Asheboro.

Another suggestion is that we need to be more well organized. The lazertag was fun and all, but some of us did not have the funds to pay for more than one game, due to lack of info.

What do you other people think? Is it fair to not have almost every meet up in Raleigh?

Blackusagi
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
ihavent been to any gatherings and I would like too but they r too far out, since i dont have my own car and could get a ride if it was in greensboro

Inamichan
09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I agree, and THANK YOU for speaking up. I was unable to go to the last gathering (in Raleigh, of course) due to lack of transportation...and it would've been the last meeting I could go to for a while, since I left NC for college. I would have loved to meet up with everyone.

As much as I've enjoyed the CCR, I think a lot of the members need to have some considerarion for, you know, the other members. Not everyone lives in or near Raleigh, and it's downright unfair to host every meeting there.

quadrain61
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
Here's the deal, the first thread is usually going to be ideas thrown down (from anyone) and then when there's a reasonable amount if ideas there's going to be a poll thread on the ideas.

From now on this will NOT be just a linkarroway and quadrain61 decisions (I don't think is has been), these gatherings are decided on you the voter in the polls provided. Spread the word within the CCR (because some of these polls have a time limit on them)

Link Arroway
09-03-2004, 02:16 PM
I agree, and THANK YOU for speaking up. I was unable to go to the last gathering (in Raleigh, of course) due to lack of transportation...and it would've been the last meeting I could go to for a while, since I left NC for college. I would have loved to meet up with everyone.

As much as I've enjoyed the CCR, I think a lot of the members need to have some considerarion for, you know, the other members. Not everyone lives in or near Raleigh, and it's downright unfair to host every meeting there.
Your profile says you live in Baltimore?

Anyways, I agree with quad, more people, regardless of where they live, should speak up and take more part in organization, at least for their own sake. Like in the recent poll it was more active than the first and theres been more responces to a date proposal. Bur-Mil looks like a convinent place for a future gathering in the center of what seems to be the majorities of the group, and could facilitate much larger gatherings. Hopefully then everyone should be able to find a ride and those who cannot can carpool with another member. Soon I'd like to start a group map project inorder for members to show where they all live (not your address, just a general point on a state map) and we could plot things gathering places on the maps too. Concerning the polls, I hope everyone checks the forums at least once a week or hears from another member. Without a time limit on the polls it would make setting up an event very difficult, so they were set with a fair amount of time. They also cannot be changed once setup, so a second one had to be created when the first one tied, which is still viewable (but closed to posting).

Rei2Rei
09-03-2004, 07:49 PM
After reading this thread, I started to think.

Maybe we could do something like have two different gatherings per gathering. Ok...That's confusing. x_X

What I mean is..Maybe have one (for example) picnic in the Raleigh area and the other one maybe in the Greensboro area. That way everyone would have the chance to go.

It might take me time to organize something like that..but it also might work! ;)

Ookami05
09-03-2004, 07:59 PM
What Rei says kinda does sound like a good idea, I mean I would like to have made all the meetings but it is really hard to be able to get to Raleigh (due to transportation and parental issues).

One in greensboro and in raleigh at the same time could be convenient.

@link: inami lives in baltimore now cause she moved there for college 2 weeks ago, she used to live in W-S before that.

Kilayi
09-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I realize that ideas are thrown out and then voted upon, but i know a good many of people don't get online every day to check on things, like Goddess Cookie can't get on but like once every two weeks or so :/

But it seems that the general ideas given are usually in the Raliegh area. 3 of the 4 choices this time were in that area, and I searched for something closer, so that maybe us here in Asheboro could go, seeing as how we all kind of band together and traverse around in a pack... but with the classes we share and such we may not be able to go so far during the school year.

I do think it will be easier for people to make it to more meetings (at least every other time) if we do start holding every other meeting away from Raliegh.

EDIT: I would love to go to Greensboro this time... we could just go ahead and meet there :3 We don't even have to rent a shelter you know...

KawaiiEdea
09-03-2004, 08:44 PM
After reading this thread, I started to think.

Maybe we could do something like have two different gatherings per gathering. Ok...That's confusing. x_X

What I mean is..Maybe have one (for example) picnic in the Raleigh area and the other one maybe in the Greensboro area. That way everyone would have the chance to go.

It might take me time to organize something like that..but it also might work! ;)

eh...that does sound confusing o_O; I think that perhaps having a picnic one weekend..and then having another one (in a different place of coarse) the next weekend could work..but not on the same day in 2 places o_o....even then ,some people would want to go to both (too see friends and such..naturally.) and for alot of people's schedules..that's just not possible. :/

quadrain61
09-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Before this gets out of hand, an official site for the Carolina Cosplay Revolution is going to be up soon (hopefully before the next meet) and hopefully it'll get some problems solved.

I have read all posts and some are the issues seem to be

1) Communication - Some (if not all) of us have school and don't usually check the forums everyday and hopefully we could start a mailing list about information of the next meets and etc. since most of us check our email.

2) Dates - This is also a democracy among us all as a CCR group

3) Where - PLEASE understand this, this is suppose to be a Carolina Cosplay Revolution as a group so if you don't like what's going on then say so before the poll is started to tell other members who haven't voted on the polls to vote. As you see Bur-mil got on the poll and it was tied, unfortunately there had to be a time limit to make sure plans are set, and unfortunately polls cannot be extended once made because of how these forums are made. Duke Gardens (Durham, N.C) was proposed a long time ago by a some people in the CCR and thought it was a good idea since is was successful last time.

Link Arroway
09-03-2004, 09:13 PM
I realize that ideas are thrown out and then voted upon, but i know a good many of people don't get online every day to check on things, like Goddess Cookie can't get on but like once every two weeks or so :/

But it seems that the general ideas given are usually in the Raliegh area. 3 of the 4 choices this time were in that area, and I searched for something closer, so that maybe us here in Asheboro could go, seeing as how we all kind of band together and traverse around in a pack... but with the classes we share and such we may not be able to go so far during the school year.

I do think it will be easier for people to make it to more meetings (at least every other time) if we do start holding every other meeting away from Raliegh.

EDIT: I would love to go to Greensboro this time... we could just go ahead and meet there :3 We don't even have to rent a shelter you know...

Alright, first. Durham is NOT raleigh. It's in a completely different county. Duke Gardens is nearly an hour away depending on where in Raleigh you are. This event is already pretty much set, so if you can't make it, I'm sorry, but like conventions, not everyone can make each one. I wanted to go to the Zoo but I couldn't, I didn't make a big deal about it. I think we shouldn't have the next event in Wake or Durham county. Yet around Greensboro or W-S.

Now about splitting a gathering apart because its too far for members.
Sadly not everyone lives in the same place, Raleigh is not exactly Eastern NC, but its not the center of NC either. The west isn't exactly in one place either. We can try to come up with areas where the majority is nearby, and have gatherings there. Although, it might be best for now to aim closer to events in Greensboro or W-S, that way everyone has a better chance to get to most of them. Maybe once and awhile a further out event might be favorable.
But the important point is someone from that area is needed to help organize the event. When a person (not mentioned) went about that, organizing an event without full knoledge of the place to have it, the event was a complete failure. Has someone here actually been to Bur-Mil? I'd like to go there sometime, but it'd be very helpful for someone that could give it some credit.

A main point I'd like to make here is the reason the CCR exists is for cosplayers in one area to gather and meet new people and have fun with costumes at places beside cons. People are welcome to hang out with the members outside of the club, so perhaps if you cannot attend an event due to distance, you should look for someone else who cant and spend the day with them. But the point is at a loss if we split an event apart. After the duke gardens event I say why not organize at somewhere in Greensboro for Halloween or something. I support Duke Gardens because it would be nice to organize again at a place where it started from.
(It'd be nice to go somewhere with a shelter because if it rained we wouldnt be as sad, and we'd have a place to set food, forks, plates, etc. without worry of it being stepped on. Can't exactly set up tables at Duke Gardens, but its a quite pretty place for cosplay and cosplay pictures.)

Perhaps next time suggestions should be limited to the Greensboro area and then can be voted on, inorder to offset the uneven majority. Voting and discussion on things should always be a part of events because otherwise we'll get a lot of things setup that most people wont work with, see its important to help organize :) Time before the event to prepare is important too, we're a cosplay group, for cosplaying, some people might like some time to get costumes together, thats why its important, and then for a picnic, it'd be best to get it together while the weather is still warm.

Kilayi
09-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Well we are free to meet up, not as the CCR, but amongst ourselves, correct?

So we want to meet up, without driving a long to time to have the people there not really speak to us, and us westerners wanting to meet in Greensboro seem to talk more thats all :/

*sigh* sorry if this caused a problem, it seemed to be a good idea.

The reason we can't make it is because its whats considered in the Raliegh-durham area, so we figured that people from there wouldnt want o come near here, and vice versa, oh well...

Link Arroway
09-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Well we are free to meet up, not as the CCR, but amongst ourselves, correct?

So we want to meet up, without driving a long to time to have the people there not really speak to us, and us westerners wanting to meet i Greensboro seem to talk more thats all :/
I wanted to make that point clear in the post (just now finished editing to write most of what I wanted to say, it was a lot to get together), but I hope you understand what I mean.

-------------------------
Edit:
--------------------------
I forgot to mention, but theres also the fact that, like cons, you cannot always attend each one. Call up a friend and make other plans, but dont detract from the people attending the con, it hurts the con and its attendees.
I realize the fact that many events have been in an unfair location for a now larger and more diverse group and thus made the previously listed recommendations for future gatherings, but I dont want to see this split the group.

Its important that group stays united and formal about events and the setting up of them so that they dont fail. It'd be pretty bad if a new member, alone without the private contact many members have made and regularly have between each other, decided to visit one event but found no CCR, this is worse when its a younger member that has transportation problems.

Edit:
Any suggestions for places to gather following the Duke Gardens event in Greensboro?

here's something random to lighten the mood, ARARARAR DEJIKO EATS YOUR CHILDREN (http://burahu-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/zakki/top-e/dejiko.jpg)

Kilayi
09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Well Ookami and I have been discussing what we wanted to do and we concluded that we were going to meet up and run around Greensboro... because anyone place would get boring to someone...

Like the mall may bore someone, but then we could go ice skating, but then that may bet irritaitng, so we'd go to Borders, etc etc.... (and Toys R Us XD)

But from the experiances I have had with the CCR as a whole, is that its not as "united and formal" as you put it. At the zoo, most of the group wasnt where it was decided to meet at the time that was decided, so those of us there went on to plat on the playground, and to run around till we ran into the rest of the group. We traded cell numbers in here, and yet no one called :/ then later we got split up and people were forgotten and left waiting yet again where and when it was decided to meet again. This caused a bit of dislike for those involved...

At Battlezone, while me and like 6 others were playing our last game on our 2 hour pass, everyone left, without saying goodbye or anything. Heck, I tried talking to a lot of people, but it seems that the CCR exists in like 4 or 5 small exclusive groups.

Well.... that's what I have seen, I dunno about other people.

But as for Halloween, thats out for me, I have standing plans from last year, and not about to skip out like last year >_O

So as to answer your question: i know of iceskating, mall, thrift storing, random wandering, bookstores, etc.... or at least thats what I do in Greensboro :P Throw out ideas, and maybe there's something I can find, I'm currently scouring Greensboro for what to do on the 25th for my plans.

Inamichan
09-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Your profile says you live in Baltimore?

No, no, not quite. I'm in Baltimore for college, but I live in Winston-Salem. I went to the zoo meet-up...you know, the one that wasn't in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Well, I know it doesn't count for much, but I have spoken out in the past about having meetings closer to the middle of the state. It didn't do much good, I don't think, but that may be partially because the amount of people from other areas has increased a lot lately.

Also keep in mind that there are members in South Carolina as well - it's the CCR, not just the NCCR.

Anyways, in response to the closed thread (yeah yeah, yell at me all you want, I'm saying it anyway), I don't see how it's unfair to have a meet-up for the people that can't make it to the event in Raleigh. Someone explain it to me? It's not sectioning things off more than the designated meeting place already has, it just means that there's an opportunity for MORE of the CCR members to meet up and have some fun.

quadrain61
09-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Before we get all jumpy can we all wait until the new site is up so we can have a database and then we can understand where people live in general to place the next meet.

Good things come for those who wait

Patience is virtue

Terumi
09-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Once I get my licence, I don't care if I have to drive to get there. I mean, I'm one of the people living in the Raleigh area, so it only takes me about 40 minutes to get wherever I'm going (in past meetings). I think it's ok to plan meetings elsewhere, as to be fair to the other members. But if we have a meeting outside of the Raleigh area (One that will allow people who live farther away to come) I'll still come. I don't mind a good drive to come see you guys. (I know time and gass money can be a problem for some members.)
Maybe we could all try and work out a car-pool plan like someone mentioned once before. Anything to get us all together, all in costume, to have a great time! ^-^

PS: I wouldn't mind ice-skating in costume LOL

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I live all the way in Hickory, and for those who don't know, that's about an hour west of Charlotte. I did have fun at the Battlezone meetup, but I kinda agree with Katie that not everyone seemed to be all on the "Hey what's up!" attitude. I mean, I tried to atleast introduce myself to everyone, but it felt a little divided like Kilayi said. :/
Although as for driving out to Durham, i'm to sure about that myself. I'd love to go cause Invicinble Kaji can make it to Duke Gardens, but I just don't know. Agh... the confusion!

LinK: Get in touch with me on the map idea and i'll get one made up.

Link Arroway
09-04-2004, 03:06 PM
LinK: Get in touch with me on the map idea and i'll get one made up.
GreatSG: I'm actually going to put something together in php
(+ a mysql database) so that any user will be able to dynamically update their information.. Although if you have code you'd like to offer it'd save me some time.

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 04:45 PM
GreatSG: I'm actually going to put something together in php
(+ a mysql database) so that any user will be able to dynamically update their information.. Although if you have code you'd like to offer it'd save me some time.

Well if you calla code writing names on a map, then I guess you can have it. :p
But your idea is probably better none the less.

Kilayi
09-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Well if we go ice skating.... i dont think it would be too great to go in costume :/ We WILL fall, and WILL get all wet and stuff.... take it from one who sucks but goes anyways XD

Oh, and Quadrain... I have been a member since January and the site has been "coming soon" since then too.... I have lost patience, and don't really expect it to be done anytime soon, no offense to anyone intended. If we really were desperate, you could just make a simple page with only text, I know that would only take a little bit, not even a whole day, judging by my experiance with html :/ When the better version is done, you could just switch it out...

And if we are to meet up with people from the CCR, but not as an offical meeting, where are we to let people know about it?

Our reasoning for our thread was this: a lot of the western people can't/don't want to go to the Raliegh-Durham area. Greensboro is closer. Since we can't/don't want to go that far, we could meet up in a closer place, not intending to cause conflict. Those who can get to the offical meet should go by all means, only us who can't should go to this one.... yeah

Well apparantly people hate us or are angry at us for at least wanting to meet up with someone that day, and I apologize for that, and hope to not have people angry anymore over this which is so silly

EDIT: We are calling it off, so please just forget it. No cosplay, no CCR, or anthing related will be involved when and if we do meet up at a mall, It will just be us shopping >_O
By all means, go to the picnic.

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 05:08 PM
I really see this whole other meetup thing more of "I don't want to driver an hour to go to a picnic where everyone seperates into little groups and don't interact between each other" additude more than anything else.
Although I think this is interesting to say the least. Are we, the members of the CCR not responding good between each other. If so, why? Division amongst the people isn't going to lead to anything good in the group and sqaubbling over who wants to meetup when and where and who doesn't might as well rip the group apart. And I doubt many of us want that to happen.

After the last CCR meetup, Kilayi was rather miffed that everyone left without saying by to those still playing Laser tag. Although I have to keep in mind that by that time most everyone had to get going, whether it was to work or back home. Still, the other thing Kilayi was upset about, I agree on.

It really felt seclusive being there, not many people were talking or interacting with others. I made rounds of saying hi to people and tried to start up conversations, but I kinda felt like I didn't really get anywhere. Now granted that some members know each other more personally than others and for longer amounts of time. But come on, we're all fans of the same hobby here. We shouldn't be divided like this!

We got a great thing going for us and we should try to keep it in good shape and not let internal strife among some members cause big problems. We've got a forum here to interact amongst one another, we have a live journal community going. We as members need to take better advantage of those tools to make the community grow and keep a better atmosphere.

That's just my thoughts on the whole issue at the moment, I hope things improve from here. Cause I do want to go to the meetup, but not if I'm gonna be sitting there by myself watching others talk and all that. So let's work to improve, alright?

Link Arroway
09-04-2004, 05:50 PM
not everyone could afford a 2 hour pass and not everyone wanted to play lazer tag the whole time. and I had no way of keeping up with everyone, so I figured most left already when I left. shouldnt seclude yourself at gatherings either :P introduce yourself to people you dunno.

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 06:10 PM
not everyone could afford a 2 hour pass and not everyone wanted to play lazer tag the whole time. and I had no way of keeping up with everyone, so I figured most left already when I left. shouldnt seclude yourself at gatherings either :P introduce yourself to people you dunno.

Both Katie and I DID do that thank you, but no one really wanted to say anything much after quick introductions. And after numerous attempts to try and talk to others I about just gave up. So it works both ways.

Kilayi
09-04-2004, 06:12 PM
I tried talking to everyone but nothing went too far. I only bonded with one new person and that was Prof Farnsworth.... he came without friends, and we kidnapped him back to Avanon's XD

I dunno, people dont seem to notice me, or some odd thing... :/
I shall talk more than i did last time then

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Yes Prof. Farnsworth came and stayed over at are party at Avanon's and that was a lot of fun. Laughing at Gackt's stage antics is always a blast! :rockon:

Link Arroway
09-04-2004, 07:03 PM
I tried talking to everyone but nothing went too far. I only bonded with one new person and that was Prof Farnsworth.... he came without friends, and we kidnapped him back to Avanon's XD

I dunno, people dont seem to notice me, or some odd thing... :/
I shall talk more than i did last time then
Hmmm, I see. Well Battlezone wasn't a great place for really being organized together and stuff, as in like meeting new people and seeing everyone, everyone is busy running around playing games, and it was strange.. Picnic would be good.. but meh. Hopefully it will be better next time. :/

GreatSG
09-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, I see. Well Battlezone wasn't a great place for really being organized together and stuff, as in like meeting new people and seeing everyone, everyone is busy running around playing games, and it was strange.. Picnic would be good.. but meh. Hopefully it will be better next time. :/

You know, that is exactly what I was thinking and that's why i've been trying to convince Katie and them to go. Because I CAN drive them up there afterall.

Kilayi
09-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Blarg... i don't want to go that far for a simple picnic, that's all :/
Picnics aren't my thing, and to ride almost 2 hours there, stay there a few hours then 2 hours back isnt my thing either... And I don't think I'd be allowed to go that far this time, depending on what happens in school up till then ~_~ (interm reports are next week and history is eating my grade), also homework is eating up my free time...

A half an hour drive is easier, and to somewhere that I can navigate to more than one thing is a plus, which is what Ookami and I planned on doing from the start, so whatever, No offense but i am not going to Raliegh

KawaiiEdea
09-04-2004, 09:31 PM
It's kind of hard to pick anything that's 'worth' driving 2 hours too..besides cons. ..But I think the most worthwhile place -I- can think of for going to and wearing a costume is a park or someplace nice to take pictures...

Link Arroway
09-04-2004, 10:26 PM
It's kind of hard to pick anything that's 'worth' driving 2 hours too..besides cons. ..But I think the most worthwhile place -I- can think of for going to and wearing a costume is a park or someplace nice to take pictures...
I agree, parks = great for pictures when you're going somewhere and cosplaying, which is what really do.. right?

Terumi
09-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Ok guys XD this is getting evil-ish. I say we still take the democratic approach to the situation and keep voting on places to meet. Although I do believe an out of the way drive for Raleigh dwellers to accommodate other members would be fair, we shouldn't argue over this O-o; it's a waste of time. Let's stop giving excuses to why we did or did not socialize at the last meeting, and keep working on making things better (I know that was the original reason for this post, so don't kill me here. XD ) I do look forward to meeting with you guys. I understand that parents have curfews and stuff (mine do) and driving limits (plus gas money) but if we really want to make CCR all it can be we've gotta save up, work hard, and get along. We're defeating the purpose of meetings (Not just hanging out, but wearing our costumes and taking pictures, even if we do have to sacrifce something to get there ). One thing we must all remember...
and that would be the pure and utter joy that comes from scaring the living daylights out of innocent onlookers... *Pure-Joy*