PDA

View Full Version : Para Para Paradise

MikigamiTokiya
12-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Heyo all. Just wondering how many people here are fans of Para Para? I love that game and play it religously and just wondering if anyone else is like that ^^;; it's so damn addicting.

Sakura
12-14-2002, 11:28 PM
I like it Subaru =P But I won't do it in public because I look funny when I do it.

MikigamiTokiya
12-14-2002, 11:28 PM
lol we all look funny ^^

Babbit_Chan
12-15-2002, 01:21 AM
I've never actually played it but I've heard good things about it.

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 01:23 AM
It's like ddr but you use your hands over motion detectors. It's also a style of dancing in japan. If you want clips of them dancing visit the website www.paraparastage.com , they have a ton of info and dance clips for anyone looking to know more.

Babbit_Chan
12-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Sounds good - I'd play it in an attempt to use my arms while dancing XD

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 01:52 AM
It's pretty easy w/ you feet because the only real motion is back and forth. there are a few exceptions to the rule as there are to any but usually it's all they do. the arms will come because they have alot of basic motions and from there ya just catch on. it helps if you have rythm too, everythin is usually to beat which helps unliek certain awkward moments in ddr XD

Eurobeat King
12-15-2002, 03:02 AM
A few weeks ago when I went to Japan Expo in L.A., that night a bunch of us went to AI to play games, and I played PPP ver. 2.0. :) I haven't played it in the arcade for a loooong time, and only at cons (that have it) do I play on the PS2 version (last time was at Yaoicon & Nekocon) In the meantime, I have volumes 1-7 of the PP routines on tape (and VCD) so I've been practicing. I have a LOT of routines to learn still (and practice) although some I won't bother because I don't like the song. (Yesh, there are some Eurobeat songs the Eurobeat King doesn't like.. :thumbsup:)

I think one of my New Year's Resolutions is to learn a ParaPara routine a day (depending on how much energy i have after work), as I want to learn most of them by A-cen (in May) in case singers Franz Tornado & Bazooka Girls show up and perform in concert! :skidude2:

"Fantasista!"

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 11:05 AM
*_* sugoi! how many do you know so far by heart? I ould buy all the tapes but I just kinda blew all my money on initial d ><;; oops... I hope they Have PPP at anime north @_@;;

Sami
12-15-2002, 12:12 PM
I've never played Para Para Paradise, but I've seen it.. I know a bunch of ParaParaMax routines due to the fact that Yoko Ishida and the ParaParaGirls were at Otakon and got me interested. ^__^ I own the PPMax1 VCD, but I'd like to learn some PPP routines someday.

LOL and yes, I always feel that I look about 1/4 as cool as the cute dancing Japanese girls on my screen when I do ParaPara.. ^^;

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 12:23 PM
*_*why do they always look so perfect?!?! some times that's frustrating but yeah it's all in good fun so why not just look nerdy lol. Espically songs like o sole mio @_@'' they look so cool but some of thoes moves just are evil when you're playing the game by yourself.

Eurobeat King
12-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Mikigami: I know about 10 routines by heart, and still practicing. :) The ones I plan to learn first will be the routines that are on PP 1.5 or 2.0, in case cons like Ohayocon & Katsucon have it on PS2 or (gasp!) a machine there. Initial D is great, ne? I wish they made more episodes/movies, since the manga's still going, and there's more racers out there to challenge Takumi! ;)

PP Max is ok, but they need more volumes of routines, since they have 5 volumes of music CD's, as well as one called Bishojo Max, and Mecha Max (which has "Fly Me to the Moon", that Yoko Ishida & the girls performed at Otakon, which makes me wonder if there are more routines to PP Max out there..) :confused:

KaineMaxwell
12-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Never played, got hooked on some the music thanks to some friends.

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 05:32 PM
A suprising amount of the songs on para para are from initial D @_@'' of the rountines I know about 17 by heart and about 14-15 more if i'm watching them ^^ I have no life lol. heh initial D is just the manga that never ends. I originally didn't like it but it just grows on ya

Maryssa
12-15-2002, 07:21 PM
well they are on initial D as well, but aren't 'from' that show. Its just Avex's super eurobeat 'line' of music which has been around for a few decades now =)

edit: oh, and the ppmax dances are horrible.

Tifa
12-15-2002, 07:34 PM
I've never heard or seen it before..but I once saw something that sounds a lot like it that was released by Konami. It's has three steps for feet and four sensors for hands. *shrugs* I didn't try it, but it looks a little too confusing for me.

Maryssa
12-15-2002, 08:20 PM
thtats EZ2Dancer, and it is not a konami product.

MikigamiTokiya
12-15-2002, 09:33 PM
cool then ^^ you really know your para para maryssa. How long have you known about the game?

Maryssa
12-16-2002, 02:12 AM
i only found out about the game around april 2001. but i was listening to super eurobeat before that. i love music that is fast and cute.

gcmoffmoorex
12-16-2002, 03:00 AM
i parapara alot ^^; infact i para-ed at the pioneer comic con booth for awhile this year (yes very tiring -_-) but yeah ^^ i own all the ppp's, ppmax and i hope to get some pppanic soon. and i first saw the ppp machine in canada in april 2001. and i think i know almost around 300 routines? hehe i para too much @_@ (well before i was obsessed and did it every single min but i still like it alot ^^)

MikigamiTokiya
12-16-2002, 06:56 AM
maryssa: I've only known about it since maybe April 2002 which means you've got a year on me lol. So is super Eurobeat a soundtrack or what?

gcmoofmoorex: O_O omg that is cool. *is jealous* ><;; wow 300 very cool.... do you have any clips of you posted anywhere? I wanna see you para para ;o;

Maryssa
12-16-2002, 09:14 AM
haha i dont remember how many routines i know; i dont really do it much anymore. i still think its cute but the fandom around here got way too freaky for me.

Super Eurobeat is a 'line' of music produced by Avex japan. Its very hi-speed, catchy bubbly electronic music which is actually done by Italians. Its just super popular in japan. You can check it out here http://www.avexnet.or.jp/eurobeat/ There are over 130 albums!

MikigamiTokiya
12-16-2002, 07:08 PM
wow... must buy all.... so there are alot of machines in ur area of NY? are u in the city? i'm in western and we don't even really have DDR here. there is one machine i know of and one pump game.... i hate pump, the arrows are too outta place for me cause i'm so used to ddr

gcmoffmoorex
12-16-2002, 07:25 PM
i also love seb too ^^ im on my way to collecting most of them... my collection:
eurobeat flash 3-4
euromach 5, 13-15, final, best of 2000 & 2001
seb 34, 57, 60, 70, 100, 119-132, best of seb 2000-2002
eurobeat disney 3
aishu euro special 3
ayu-ro mix I & II
super euro x-mas II and nonstop best
and im gonna get...
seb 44, 79, 92 and ultra's stadium ^^;
damn im addicted to this stuff XD its basically all i listen to now besides from j-pop and other euro XD

MikigamiTokiya
12-16-2002, 07:27 PM
*feels deprved* ack I only have one of the initial D sndtrks and one of the para para ones...ororo... I need to get more @_@

Nine
12-16-2002, 07:36 PM
I LOVE PARA PARA!! this february, i'll be a paralist for 1 whole year XD!!! I know around 100 or so routines... i love para dancing in public too.. I <3 the PPA *grumbles at the fact that they disbanded* *cries* I don't own much para para stuff.. but thanks to dom i have a shit load of eurobeat stuff XD :D:D:D

Maryssa
12-16-2002, 09:36 PM
theres a (crappy) machine in nyc but its hard to dance on the actual videogame for me since I am pretty tall. i prefer it as a dance form outside of the videogame world, as it was originally (i've been a dancer since i was 4 years old so many types of dance interest me)

You're probably better off just downloading or buying the videos. Dont kill yourself looking for the game.

Nine
12-16-2002, 10:08 PM
I'm too tall to play in the arcade, but i play anyway ^^; it's fun, and I just am cautious that I don't hit the top bit. I actually ripped open my knuckle when i scraped it across a screw on the right diagonal top part of the machine -_-;;

MikigamiTokiya
12-17-2002, 04:43 PM
nine, ouch ><;; that musta hurt ya.... anyways to both of ya how tall are ya? they dun look that big @_@'' yeah I do alot of dancing. I took lessons for like 4 years and I can do almost every dance morning musume has everydone, a ton of SES and some other random j-pop peeps. they have the game on the red octane site so if I don't find it on ebay soon I'll just get it from there. For AN we're gonna do the night of fire dance. the short version is. we made up our own additions to the longer version and it looks pretty cool but for the masquerade we only have 1:30 to do anything so it'll have to wait. man it feels like eveyone knows more rountines then me ><;; ororo

Maryssa
12-17-2002, 05:41 PM
dont bother getting the videogame, really. just get the videos. it doesnt really matter how many routines you know.. its not a contest to see who knows more... as long as you're having fun with it you dont need to learn 309852740857245 routines.

I'm 5'9 and a quarter, so yeah my hands smack into the sensors if i play.

I like the MM dances too, they are much more of a regular dance where you move your whole body =p plus they are all just so adorable!

MikigamiTokiya
12-17-2002, 07:15 PM
yeah I know ^^ hee hee i have too much fun w/ weird things and thnx for the advice. lol I'd be lucky to smack the sensors cause I'm about 5' 3 1/2" ><;; so what's your fav MM dance? I like love revolution and baby koi ni knockout.

Maryssa
12-17-2002, 08:14 PM
i LOVE the koi ni knockout dance ^^ its so funky!

but i'll always have a thing for love machine because thats the first song i heard from them back in the day which got me hooked!

MikigamiTokiya
12-17-2002, 08:26 PM
cool then. Me and Sakura sung and danced to koi ni knockout for kareoke at AN. It was so damn funny. Are you a fan of tanpopo? I love the pasta ni kando (or whatever it's called) music videos. *_* you must love the tops hats!

Maryssa
12-17-2002, 08:54 PM
i actually have not seen their videos yet. i like the 2nd generation tanpopo (kaori, mari, ai and rika) the best ^^ kaori has always been my favorite musume. i was thinking of making her cool silver fuzzy love machine jacket.

MikigamiTokiya
12-17-2002, 08:56 PM
that would be cool ^^ My fav. outfits are the ones in love revolution... so shiny @_@U I doubt I'd ever get around to them though. Alot of the para para outfits are pretty fun too. So many weird ones though... the ones they wear in god of romance are disturbing if it's the vid. i'm thinking of.

Yui
12-19-2002, 05:25 AM
Anyone who is seriously into this should invest in coming to ACen. For not only will Bazooka Girl be there, the infamous Kat will be giving demos and tutorials practically nonstop the whole weekend as well. And stalking Bazooka Girl, which should prove amusing. (Yes, she's making me advertize for her X_x...but I have not seen her equal in PP yet...but only cuz she never stops...she's scarey...she doesn't drive with her hands on the wheel anymore cuz she's always dancing in the car....ack...I'm doomed...)

She's actually a very, very good teacher, surprisingly. She just got eight boys to para for the first time together, and now she has had this vision to help spread it to the world...

Nine
12-19-2002, 06:46 AM
WQHA>@!RFA Bazooka Girl will be at ACen???????? !!!!!!!! *cries* I WANNA GO *LOVES BAZOOKA GIRL* #$)*^#$_^*$_%*%@!)*@!#_) ;_; ...where is ACen? lol

MikigamiTokiya
12-19-2002, 03:37 PM
omg i wanna go too ;o; too goddamn far away ><;; you must take pics and show us!!! bazooka girl is so shibby *_*

Ali-kun
12-19-2002, 04:14 PM
AAAH! Bazooka Girl really IS going to be at Acen? I heard rumors about it earlier this year, but...*sobs dramatically* My final exams END the Friday OF Acen! Plus, I have to be all packed up and ready to move out of my dorm because they kick us out for the summer ;_;

I wonder if I have even half a chance of shoving all my junk into a temporary storage place in Sherman (huh, that town's so podunk I don't even know if they HAVE places like that) and getting someone to drive me up to Acen as soon as I get out of my exams...GAH!

...ehm, yes, on parapara...

==begin plug==

Well, Nine and some people from the cosplay.com chatroom and maybe Dom and a few other people on parapara messageboards I go to have seen these, but -
http://www.kirakira.org/original.htm - anime music parapara XD For those who complained about only having one volume of parapara routines choreographed for the Para Para Max Animation series. I've got videos there for the Saiyuki opening theme and the Fushigi Yuugi ending theme.

Plus, a couple songs from Gravitation that my partner Neko^2 and I have choreographed. We actually have a bunch more Gravitation songs choreographed (8 total planned, 6 of those actually finished) but we haven't made videos of the other 4 yet.

==end plug==

^_~

I've been a paralist since March (hmm, okay, I learned about it in March...I probably wouldn't say I became a paralist until a few months later when I actually KNEW something ^_~) and I'll probably be going to this coming year's cons trying to drag as many people into parapara as I can...I already agreed to teach Celine some routines. Eeek, I will have to conscript Neko^2 to help me, he is a MUCH better teacher than I am -_- It will be much excitement though.

*still sniffling over the prospect of having to miss seeing Bazooka Girl*

MikigamiTokiya
12-19-2002, 08:01 PM
hee hee coolies ^^ sounds like what I usually do. glad to know i'm not alone w/ making up strange rountines to crazy japanese music lol

nails
12-19-2002, 09:17 PM
I saw that Para Para home setup at a local store. I think it was $80. It actually worked too.. Of course I think if my local friends or parents ever caught me playing it, they will assume I have lost touch with all reality.

nails continues to make crazy motions and movements with his arms

MikigamiTokiya
12-19-2002, 09:45 PM
mine have given up on my sanity. heh heh, I burned a couple cds and my dogs seem to like it as in they go insane whenever the music is on. My cats used to attack my computer screen bt i'm allergic so they're long gone. wow 80 sure is cheap though ^^ it's cool when guys play that kinda stuff. all my guy friends are chicken to or too "manly" to play it. It's hella annoying. ^^ continue to wave your arms proud!

Maryssa
12-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Who is the "infamous Kat" ? Never heard of her.

And I dont think its a good thing to brag about never having one's hands on the wheels while driving. That is incredibly dangerous. I dont care how much you like parapara; keep your focus on the road and the others on it.

MikigamiTokiya
12-21-2002, 12:14 AM
I gotta agree w/ you there lol. too many slippery roads around here. even 2 hands on the wheel can lead to an accident w/ all this damn black ice etc.

gcmoffmoorex
12-21-2002, 09:24 PM
about the Bazooka Girl and Franz Tornado thing at Anime Central, ITS NOT FINAL. i should know because I WAS the one who released that info they might come. Yoko Ishida will be there though, and probably joining in on the parapara festivites. I will probably be there though, helping out at the panel and such.
the infamous Kat will be giving demos and tutorials practically nonstop the whole weekend as well
havent heard of her, and i know most people who para. and its not safe driving without your hands on the wheel, especially since the weather is bad right now.

Eurobeat King
12-21-2002, 10:37 PM
It's kewl that Ishida-san will be appearing again at cons in 2003, starting off with A-cen which seems to be one of few cons that have a lot of ParaPara stuff like arcade machines, tourneys, and GoH's who will perform PP/PP Max songs. :)

Kat is Yui's sister, and good friend of Lilli-chan, Nadeshiko, Dez, and myself. She lives in Chicago and only goes to A-cen, altho she did come out to AX 2002, but doesn't really cosplay that much. At A-cen this year, she let me stay with her and a lot of her friends in the $500 per night suite, and she had DDR and ParaPara in her room, plus she helped organize the video-game room and made sure they had a PP arcade machine there. :) During the con, she and a couple of girls did their hotel lobby PP performance, but it didn't catch on. (Not sure if she tried to form one at AX) Hopefully, if what Yui says is true, she get a larger group together in 2003 so that more peeps can watch, join in, etc.

As for driving while listening to ParaPara music, one SHOULD keep one hand (if not both) on the wheel, and concentrate. For me, since I have Super Eurobeat music playing, I concentrate on my driving.. although the music DOES make me drive a little faster than usual.. :thumbsup:

MikigamiTokiya
12-24-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Eurobeat King
As for driving while listening to ParaPara music, one SHOULD keep one hand (if not both) on the wheel, and concentrate. For me, since I have Super Eurobeat music playing, I concentrate on my driving.. although the music DOES make me drive a little faster than usual.. :thumbsup:

lol could that possibly be from initial D:thumbsup: I know a number of people who do the same thing.

Maryssa
12-24-2002, 11:03 AM
which is probably the reason shows like that and movies like Fast and the Furious are dumb ideas (in this country). Kids in this country today are too quick to see something like that then think they're the shit and go speeding all over the place. Its extremely stupid and dangerous behavior. At least in Initial D they race in the middle of the night and have lookouts the whole length of the course to check for oncoming cars. (hey dont get me wrong Initial D is one of my fav anime but i do not condone driving around like a ricer if you have no clue what you're doing)

MikigamiTokiya
12-24-2002, 11:05 AM
heh ^^;; look outs are always a help

Troppy
12-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Hehe, well I know Kat is taking it a LOT further this year... we actually arranged a Para Para Allstars cosplay group, and we're trying to get a beginner's panel on Friday...kinda to kick off the weekend's Para Para scene so everyone knows a few dances... Now that she's got a team, "The Midwest Para Kittens," lol... which consists of Kat, Indira/Poli, a girl named Su-chan, and myself, there's a lot more people-power going into arranging things.

I have yet to hear back from the staff on whether or not we can host this panel; it's a shame, since Mr. Kadei, who is on the staff, is trying to snatch it away from us because he is "more professional." Riiiiigt. :rolleyes: Nobody is more professional than Kat, IMO...and nobody is more stubborn than me. ;)

Maryssa
12-24-2002, 05:07 PM
NO one is professional. Lets just get that straight.

and Kadei? BAHAHHAHAHAHAHA you've GOT to be kidding me.

Troppy
12-24-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
NO one is professional. Lets just get that straight.

and Kadei? BAHAHHAHAHAHAHA you've GOT to be kidding me.

Exactly. EXACTLY. There is nothing more to say. ;)

Yuna
12-24-2002, 05:15 PM
Who The Fuck is Kat?

Maryssa
12-24-2002, 05:16 PM
i dont understand what the purpose of a team would be. there isnt anyone to 'compete' against so to speak (and competing in parapara is an utterly retarded idea in my opinion unless it was pure freestyle). If its just some excuse to show off how obsessed you all are and how good you are because you dance 10 hours a day pretending you are parapara allstars... then wow find something better to do. Its just a type of dance. A dead one at that. Nothing to make some big movement over.

Troppy
12-24-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Yuna
Who The Fuck is Kat?

*smiles and points upwards toward Eurobeat King's post*

EDIT: and...as for the team thing, it's another sense of the word. Not team like "we compete we're so good ph33r our 1337 skillz" team...*shudder* dear lord no. It's just the word used to describe a group of friends that cosplay together, dance together, practice together, (hopefully) host events together, etc. We're a team in the sense that we work as a unit. That may be lame to some, but to me it's a nice way to unify the community in different areas of the country.

And as for Para Para being dead...well, in Japan yeah...but that doesn't mean that other people can't continue to enjoy doing it. The fact that it isn't popular anymore shouldn't be used as a judgement on its "coolness" or whatever...

Yuna
12-24-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Troppy
*smiles and points upwards toward Eurobeat King's post*

I repeat, who the fuck is Kat?

Maryssa
12-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Hm I wonder if Kat is the girl I saw at AX that I actually had to correct on some of her dance moves...

Troppy
12-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Yuna
I repeat, who the fuck is Kat?

lol! OK OK. She's just a person who likes Para Para, really, and is passionate about sharing her (sometimes overkill) adoration for it. She doesn't post here, but a lot of us know her. She's not famous or anything, nor does she claim to be.

EDIT: Maryssa, this is what she looks like

http://members.aol.com/fatimajspr/katAX.jpg

i wouldnt doubt if you saw her. She tends to get her own...er..."style" when it comes to immitating PPA routines. :thumbsup: She's a sweetheart, but refuses to believe she needs work.

Maryssa
12-25-2002, 01:21 AM
yeah thats her... so you cant really call her a professional if there are things she needs to work on, nor if she isnt making a living from doing this. No matter how obsessed one is, there is always someone better and always room for improvement (as you stated yourself, there are things she needs improvement in). There is nothing wrong with a hobby as long as it is kept at a non-obsessive, i-am-better-than-all-of-you-and-you-must-all-follow-my-revolution level.

Sorry to sound snippy, but it just rubs me the wrong way when people suddenly come along out of nowhere acting like they are the best in something that many people have been into a long time (we're talking years) before, and then try to showcase it as if its the best thing since sliced bread.

MikigamiTokiya
12-25-2002, 01:25 AM
Maryssa is very right on this one ^^;; I know for a fact I have a whole lot of work to do but then again who doesn't. @_@;; oh and on this kat girl, who is she supossed to be cosplaying as? It looks kinda familiar but I can't think of who it is. well anyways as long as people are having fun w/ para para that's all that matters ne?

gcmoffmoorex
12-25-2002, 04:44 AM
yeah i agree with marissa too, and i remember seeing her. she didnt look very professional at all, i think at least. i don't think im the best at it, but im proud of what i've done doing para (dancing at the comic con pioneer booth and dancing with yoko and the parapara girls at the ax dance) and i was actually sorta payed in a way for dancing at the pioneer booth (in pocky XD) so yeah. im proud of what i've gone through, and i will probably be at acen to help with the panel and such.

Eurobeat King
12-25-2002, 05:05 AM
The simple-answer: Kat lives in Chicago, (so you won't see her unless you go to A-cen or else she comes out to CA for AX) and she loves ParaPara. easy? yeah, i thought so. ;) Best thing you can do is go to A-cen and see what all the events involving ParaPara are all about.. :)

If Ishida-san and the ParaPara pair are going to have a concert, hopefully they'll be doing newer routines, because I don't know about you, but this summer was too much of an overload seeing the 'EVA theme' and the SMR "Otome no Policy" done to death. Maryssa's right in that the PPMax routines aren't as good-looking as the PP 1-7 routines. If anyone liked that one guy at Otakon took time out to learn the ENTIRE PPMAX vol.1, he's got wayyy too much time on his hand.. :thumbsup:

gcmo: Were there a lot of people watching you perform at SDCC? From what I saw, there weren't too many people, since PP at that comic show was almost as non-existent as anime was.. ^_^;; I remember seeing that one guy who dressed as Aya from WK dancing, and he sorta knows me, but I forget his name..

gcmoffmoorex
12-25-2002, 08:20 PM
it depended on the time because sometimes i got crowds and then sometimes i didnt and yeah hehe when i got overly tired there werent too many crowds so yah and i think the guy you're talking about is mike ^_^

Tifa
12-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
thtats EZ2Dancer, and it is not a konami product.

Sorry; that was a really long time ago, but I'm sure that's not what it was called. It had the root word "dance" in the name for sure, and it had the Konami name and icon on it. Too bad they got rid of it, though..

Yui
12-27-2002, 01:19 AM
Oh wow. This is too ridiculous. Peeps are talking about my silly lil' sister, and she had no idea until all her friends told her today at Crazy Nickels (the arcade around here that has PPP). My, my, and no reason to use such uncouth language when speaking of Kat. It would totally be lost on her and those who know her.

First of all, many of you do not seem to have a good bead on my particular writing style coupled with my unconventional use of words, so I will attempt to put this as monosyllabic as possible: no one in the world had any reason to harbor any envy nor dislike towards my sister, save perhaps myself....and believe me, she is nothing but generosity and good-humour around strangers. Especially at cons. Especially when they show an interest in PP. I myself kinda dig the music, surprisingly (which says -quite- a bit from a j-rocker like myself), but no one would want me to help them learn any of the real dances, so I was attempting to direct those people to one who was very much qualified.

But thanks to everyone making a grand production out of her existence, my somewhat jokingly label of "infamous" is only gaining more strength in reality as we continue to make her story spread. She is indeed already legendary at ACen, as she’s been entertainment to those in many a line as well as responsible for the multiple ACen theme song productions. And because you are following this thread still, you must be interested on some level in finding out more. The reason I brought her up at all is that she does indeed para at all times, at all hours, and to be honest, it rather drives me a bit insane as I am now living once again with her. [TANGENT...As far as the driving on her part -- I do seriously feel safer with her behind the wheel than nearly any other person I know. She is one the most considerate, safe and conscientious drivers out there, not to mention she is one of the few that is aware of the Rules of the Road. She cries when nice cars get trashed in movies. She's working towards becoming a mechanic as we speak. She intends to live in a shack with a ten-car garage. Besides, she loves Hakuryu / (the-soon-to-be) Pink Pimp Mobile of Love (tm) probably more than her boyfriend, so she wouldn't dare harm him. So please, feel free to judge her dancing skillz for yourself, but cast no stone upon her driving habits. It really bears no import, it was but to illustrate a point.....END TANGENT]

As far as recognizing her at cons, she used to cosplay, but doesn’t much now in exchange for freedom of movement for dancing. She usually seems to be wearing bits of everyone else’s cosplay though...in that pic she has Lilli’s other Millenia wings and Dez’s Reid shirt. Kat has been to Otakon and AX as well, not just ACen. She also attracted some attention in Japan last time she went (even though she was sick - now that's dedication.) She is also very involved in spreading parapara to all that are interested -- not -just- to those who are already initiated into Bemani and such, culminating in some "secret" projects that shall be unveiled in 2003. Rather inversely, she will expose those who have little to no knowledge of Japanese media at all, and her greatest sphere of influence at the moment is the Chicago area and now spreading up to many towns in Wisconsin. Even I, who'd love to have a reason to not like her, can find no fault in her methods of instruction nor waning of her seemingly endless enthusiasm. I was merely informing those who think they'd might like to try PP out can seek no nicer and patient a teacher. She was even really nice (way nicer than I would have been) to some rude people that popped into her ‘lobby clinic’ at AX. We got some drunk chicks (DDR may work drunk, or so I hear, but PP is far too precise in its silly cuteness that a sober state is a requirement). We got some boys who were more interested in “Midriff” than her actual dancing. We got people plowing through or butting in and a few posers who insisted that she had the moves wrong or something like that. (I kinda missed the other horrible encounters she had after that since was there was then Saiyuki glomping in progress and our Sanzo had abandoned us to go dance with her X_x) Anyway, it’s certainly sad to see such snobbiness in the midst of such innocent fun. Ah well, ‘tis the trouble with dancing with the common area. That’s why ACen will be such a good set-up, I’ve been told. Still in a public, communal place where new people will be welcomed, but arranged in such a way to not allow such interference to come about. And we’ve even got bouncers this time.

Oh yes. And Olympic athletes are all of them amateurs, but you would not dare call them novice, ne? Non-professionals are the purest examples of those who love what they do, and engage in their respective activities out of pure appreciation of the sport.

Curse you, now. You’ve made me write a five paragraph essay on my sister now -- and in her defense, no less. Everytime I set out to complain about her driving me crazy, I end up spewing out all this positive PR unintentionally instead. Ack. I’m a terrible sister. Sticking up for her like that, when I should be beating her up or stealing her PS games or something.

Infamous Kat
12-27-2002, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't have come here if it weren't for the strange gossip I've been hearing that complete strangers and people whom maybe I've met once but wouldn't even consider an acquaintance are speaking of myself and my interest in para para.

Just to set the record straight, one among you who are throwing the stones was probably too sloshed to even remember if I was an adequate dancer or not, not to mention all dances that this person didn't know or didn't take the time to memorize were labeled "stupid" and "gay".

Although I don't want to seem snobbish and place myself on a pedastal, perhaps I should explain the reaction I get from a non-biased audience when I perform. At Anime Expo last year. . .despite comments from people I've never met who claim they saw me dance (keep in mind I was teaching a whole group of people, so perhaps you had your eye on someone in training), when everyone had left for the evening and I was packing up, I had a Japanese girl come up to me and struggle in adorable broken english to tell me what a wonderful dancer I was and that her and her two friends had been watching me the whole time and thoroughly enjoyed the performance. At Crazy Nickels (an arcade I frequent with my friends to para para as a group) last night, a young girl came up to us while we were taking a break and asked if we were professional. In fact, we get that reaction regularly there from all sorts of people of all ages. At my sister's wedding, myself and some friends performed a few dances at the reception and it was very well-liked (and not just because they were my family. . .trust me, they're the hardest audience).

I don't boast to be professional. . .I don't boast to be the best. But if you doubt that I'm any good, I will GLADLY send you a video of any para para paradise song of your choice, and then I'll let you make a more informed decision once you've actually seen me dance. I have no problems with constructive criticism as long as it's well-founded.

And thank you, Yui. . .for your thoughtful time-consuming posts. . .they are much appreciate and I do so enjoy your attention to accuracy and tendency to use big flashy (but surprisingly coherent) vocabulary.

Infamous Kat
12-27-2002, 10:38 PM
If its just some excuse to show off how obsessed you all are and how good you are because you dance 10 hours a day pretending you are parapara allstars... then wow find something better to do

I'm sorry. . .since when is partaking in a hobby considered an obsession? Those who play on school sports' teams, or, even closer to the point I'm trying to illustrate, are a student or ballet, tap, jazz, etc. practice for hours a day perfecting their styles and movements and are truly dedicated individuals who have a great passion in something other than "hanging out, getting drunk, getting laid, smokin' up, etc.". . .because I guarantee there are more people focused on that lifestyle than pursuing an interest like para para so avidly. But wait. . .those social bar-hoppers and daily party-goers are doing something more constructive with their time? I doubt it. I LIKE to dance para para. . .there are people who like to do line dancing. . .people who like to do ballet. . .are all these dance forms "out"? So long as there are people to portray these art forms, nothing of the sort will EVER "die out". These people don't get paid and aren't professional, but they don't care. .. they're doing something they love and there's no reason to slam someone for what YOU alone considers a "waste of time" and an "obsession". Passion and obsession are not the same thing.

And no one's "showing off". . .no reason to put down so harshly and coldly what others do to enjoy themselves and have other people enjoy it at the same time. Unless of course you think ballet recitals are pointless and just an excuse to show off all their "non-important, waste-of-time, find-something-more-meaningful-to-do" talent? It's the same thing. . .a performance from the heart given to an audience in the hopes that they will be entertained and appreciate what they're seeing.

And I believe Troppy had the right idea when she descriped our group as nothing more than a group of friends sharing the same interests and having a good time. . .a group who wants others to enjoy what they do.

Nadeshiko
12-27-2002, 10:51 PM
*glomps Sakuya-oneechan*

Glad you finally made it to cosplay.com! ^_^v

I have an interesting history with PPP. I was first exposed to the hype at Condensed Milk. I was looking at people during the routines and was like, "I'd love to dance with them, but I feel like a dork if I freestyled it." Doing synchronized routines was not my thing at the time. Well, I did like Initial D music (at the time, I've only heard the songs done by Move)...^^;

Then Anime Central 2002 came. My onee-chan (Infamous Kat), brought along her para para goodness. I only played one round and that was it. But I do admit, it was fun watching my friends do it. At the time, I was still addicted to late 1960s folk music thanks to my bf at the time. ^_^;;

Then it was May. I was in a craptastic production of Midsummer Night's Dream. The director wanted modern rave type music. So I started downloading lots of eurobeat songs. I was instantly hooked on the routines to "O Sole Mio" and "Delux." I suggested "O Sole Mio" as a song and dance routine (with some of the lyrics changed to fit the Fairyland setting). However, I was beaten to it by "boys" by Britney Spears and "Are You That Somebody" by Aaliyah. But that didn't stop me from learning more routines! ^.~ At the drama club Masquerade Soiree, I did a "Delux" routine for their mini-masquerade as Ayumi.

I later found out there was a PPP machine close to my school. So everytime I felt stress from school, I'd do a few routines to relax me out.

Then it sort of died out after graduation. Though, it was nice being *THE* paralist of the senior class.

It didn't come back again 'til early November when Troppy-Haruka and Stella got me a few hook ups to non game routines. After a while, the game routines got too easy. I needed something fresh. Then I had PP7 and PP6 goodness! ^_^v

And eurobeat has been my caffine for them morning classes!

Yui
12-27-2002, 11:11 PM
Coherant, is it then? I always think that I'll end up persuading my readers into agreement by pure confusion and length alone. Well, it got you to join our little discussion anyway.

I still think we ought to post the video of you teaching the boys PP at the birthday(s) party...now that was some remarkable stuff. But we probably need to get them to sign waivers or something first. Otherwise, it'd just be blackmail. Heheh....
Ahem, yes. Well, I have that webspace all set up for you and the merry band of PPA to upload whatever you wish, so if you need any further aid, let it be known (preferrably after Katsu, tho.)

Tommy Donut
12-27-2002, 11:42 PM
You people amuse me. I'm not gonna repeat what's been said already. Just because someone has an ego problem from some little PR, does that mean you need to go be a bitch about it? You wanna know "who the fuck" Kat is? People here were more than happy to explain. Just ask it nicely next time ^_^. She's a nice girl who's pretty much polite to every one, no matter how rude you are or how much you got your ego dented.

I for one can't wait to see Kat dance the night away :dance: After seeing all this, the only person I'd like to teach me more PP goodness is her (along with her lovely friends ;D). I'm glad she hyped it up for me, because it lightens up my day anytime. Heck, I'm having a frickin cold and everything else that comes with it RIGHT NOW, and I'm dancing til my arms fall off :D

Why? Cuz' it's fuuuuuuuuun. And that's the point that some people seem to miss here. Para Para is NOT about someone who's supposedly good at it. NOT because you're doing it to compete with others. It's a hobby. A pastime. Something to do for FUN.

Dance people. Just...dance :D

Eurobeat King
12-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Perhaps we should close this thread, since it seems that there's tension going around all over ParaPara, and the people who play it.. :thumbsup: Everyone is entitled to their own interest in the game, be it play it once in a while, or everyday.. I myself just love the music, and rarely have the chance to play it in the arcade or the home version (save at cons.) I'm slooowly learning the routines, but I have other stuff to do that's more important to do at night after a looong day of work. But it's not a of a deal to me, as it's mainly the music that I like more than the routines. That's obvious since I listen to Eurobeat everyday :skidude2:

Maryssa: I look forward to seeing you at Katsu (if you're going) for your wondeful costumes.

Kat: I look forward to seeing you at A-cen and the peformance you have.

Yui: See you at Katsucon!

Nadeshiko: See you sometime here in the Bay Area! ;)