PDA

View Full Version : Ranma boy-type

Kain
12-15-2002, 01:12 AM
Hi guys. I'm looking to go to Otakon 2003 as Ranma boy-type. Yes, I know it's been done before many times, but I have that average Japanese male in a shounen harem anime look (I'm a 5'11" Asian male, 25 years old, with medium build and average features, and going as Ranma has been suggested to me numerous times).

Anyone know where I can get his clothing from the first season of Ranma 1/2, the one with the sleeveless shirt?

aeva
12-15-2002, 07:14 AM
You can get them at most online martial arts stores - I reccomend http://shop.store.yahoo.com/worldmas/index.html Just look through the uniforms - you can find quality pieces that look just like Ranma's. >^-^<

MargauxZ
12-15-2002, 07:45 AM
Ranma cosplayers totally rock!

*Is a HUGE Ranma fan*

I'll be looking for you Kain!

Koumori
12-15-2002, 10:46 AM
If you're of a more craft-y bent, Melissa Quinn at www.faerie-fingers.com does sell a specifically Ranma pattern, as well. I'm working off her Belldandy pattern, which is good, so I can tentatively recommend her.

Kain
12-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Ooh, thanks a lot, aeva. Those are some great prices, and actually cheaper than I expected. The shoes are only $5 :O

I may have to cut off the sleeves myself.

Do you guys have any suggestions on the pony tail? I, of course, have black hair, and am looking for a black pony tail (preferrably already braided, but I can braid it myself), about 1 foot long.

Celine
12-15-2002, 11:31 AM
You can go in to just about any wig shop and ask for extensions. Finding something that is about one foot long should be easy, and as long as you don't buy real human hair, it should be relative cheap. Sometimes they come with clips, and other times you have to sew them on to a hairclip to attach them to your hair.

Michi
12-15-2002, 03:55 PM
o.o One foot for Ranma? ^^;

Rethul
12-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Yeah, one foot sounds about accurate I would say.

Note: Using human hair is CREEPY!

Koumori
12-15-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Rethul

Note: Using human hair is CREEPY!

Not at all. It's much easier to work with than synthetic.

My hair supplier is Doctored Locks at www.drlocks.net - she can fix you up with anything you need in the way of extensions and other fake-hair supplies, and she's incredibly fast and reliable.

tamahomegurl
12-15-2002, 06:17 PM
anyone who cosplays as any of the ranma gang deserves my full attention and admiration...

*bows down to ranma cosplayers*

Kain
12-15-2002, 07:30 PM
I'd... rather not use human hair. Synthetic is how I want to do it.

I said a foot because if I need to braid it, that will shorten the length of it to probably 8" or 9". Plus, I'd like to rest it on my shoulder so it'd be visible when photographed.

MargauxZ
12-15-2002, 09:04 PM
Or you could stick a wire in it and make it curl up so happily!

Hehehe!

KaitouKurogo
12-16-2002, 08:32 PM
My group of friends are cosplaying Ranma 1/2 for AX2003. As I myself am doing Boy-Type Ranma, I had the same trouble finding the right sort of clothing. I'll be ordering some of the patterns we'll be needing from http://www.faerie-fingers.com/ , which is very useful for Ranma Cosplay.

Our group has the whole main cast of fighters: Ranma (both forms), Shampoo, Ryoga, and Mousse. My girlfriend is going as Shampoo, so all you people who don't like Ranma/Shampoo coupling can go eat a panda. ^_^ Even more fun is that I've talked my friend Billy, a boy, to crossplay as Girl-Type Ranma.

Aoshi Shinomori
12-17-2002, 02:54 AM
I was ranma at AX 2000... its pretty cool to meet other Ranma cosplayers just by walking around with a friend dressed up as Ryoga. This year we had a ranma gathering so i hope we have a huge one next year.

Ranma Saotome
12-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Well also going down to your local Chinatown helps. If you don't get a pattern, finding the red silf shirt is a pain, take it from me. As for a wig, I am having one custom made, cuz after a while, a plain wig just won't cut it.

Right now, I'm planning on doing Ranma's OAV outfit or his Hard Battle game outfit. ^^

Kain
12-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Unfortunately, I live in the Deep South, and their idea of Chinatown is the Super Wok buffet downtown. Being 1 of just 4,000 Asians in the entire region certainly doesn't lend itself to local options.

As for a wig, I don't need one. I've been growing out my hair recently and it's about as naturally close as one can get to Ranma hair. I just need the pony tail.