PDA

View Full Version : Wolf's Rain/Cowboy Bebop fans... guess who we get...?

Rameana
09-15-2004, 07:06 PM
We have Steve Conte!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We will be doing the concert this year!!!!!
OMG... I'm so hyper now!!!!!

ok...*take a breath*

:jjacks:

Bahzi
09-15-2004, 08:17 PM
For real? Whooo! Walk..in the rain...in the rain...in the rain *continues caterwauling offkey on purpose*

But seriously, that man is very talented. Have you heard "Is it real" and "No reply" he is amazing. And "Call Me, Call me" makes me cry every friggin time. On the way back from taking our friend to the airport when she was moving back to Utah after graduation we had to stop the car because we were all crying so hard when that song played on the mp3 player. *blows nose* So, is he allowed to play the bebop/wolf's rain songs or is bandai going to be asses?

Rameana
09-15-2004, 09:34 PM
I just checked the Ohayocon website under Guests.

I HOPE he can play the songs. That would only be fair.

BountyBebopLuva
09-15-2004, 11:37 PM
For real? Whooo! Walk..in the rain...in the rain...in the rain *continues caterwauling offkey on purpose*

But seriously, that man is very talented. Have you heard "Is it real" and "No reply" he is amazing. And "Call Me, Call me" makes me cry every friggin time. On the way back from taking our friend to the airport when she was moving back to Utah after graduation we had to stop the car because we were all crying so hard when that song played on the mp3 player. *blows nose* So, is he allowed to play the bebop/wolf's rain songs or is bandai going to be asses?

"Call me, Call me" is my favorite song and I cry everytime I hear it too! I'm glad I'm not a freak.. lol.. if he sings it with his band I bet half of the room will turn into blubbering babies.. I know I will.

Rameana
09-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Well, "Heaven's Not Enough," is my crying song and one of my most fav from Wolf's Rain.

BountyBebopLuva
09-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Gar.. ;_; this week is totally not my week for getting things right.. lol.. I must research that song! ^^

Rameana
09-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Which one? Heaven's Not Enough? You'd only cry if you knew the show and would cry even more if you knew the ending. ^_^

If you talking about "Is it real" and "No reply," I have not heard those either.

BountyBebopLuva
09-16-2004, 02:50 AM
I guess you could say the same for "Call me, Call me" friends hear it and say it's a pretty song and then wonder why I'm bawling.. lol

Bahzi
09-16-2004, 03:02 AM
All his songs are beautiful, although I'm pretty sure Yoko Kanno wrote them all. "No Reply" and "Is it Real" were both Bebop Knockin on Heaven's Door songs. I don't recall if "No Reply" was actually heard in the movie. It's a beautiful song. If I had webspace I'd put the mp3. It was Vincent's theme really. I love "Stray" too, really, Yoko and Steve can can no wrong in my book. Now that I think about it Yoko probably owns all rights to those songs regardless of the fact they were used in shows. She probably agreed not to let other anime use them but as for concerts I would think she would be the one to have the final say if Steve performed them. That's bugging me so i'm going to ask on the Ohayocon forums.

Rameana
09-16-2004, 12:57 PM
I wish she would come with him, Yoko, I mean. Because I LOVE her work. The 1st soundtrack I fell inlove with was Escaflowne and then Cowboy and Wolf's Rain.. see the common thread.... it's YOKO!!! ^_^ I said this on the Ohayocon forums..that I'd die if I got to meet her and here her do a conert. ^_^

BountyBebopLuva
09-16-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm just hoping copyrights won't be the factor that down't let him do those wonderful songs.

Bahzi
09-16-2004, 05:50 PM
From Akicafe at Ohayocon forums.
"Since he is the performing artist for the songs, he has exclusive rights to perform all of the songs that he recorded with yoko, so yes, he can play them.

but as stated above, more details will be available later."

So he can play them...have I ever mentioned I don't like a good deal of the Ohayocon staffers? So snippy. Unfortunately I've had the misfortune of meeting that guy too. It's no wonder they have staffers quit in droves and have so many positions open.

He's obviously not in the recording industry if he doesn't know that just because you perform a song you don't have exclusive rights to it, which is why I was asking in the first place. Ugh, Ohayocon staffers I feel for you.

BountyBebopLuva
09-16-2004, 10:26 PM
"Since he is the performing artist for the songs, he has exclusive rights to perform all of the songs that he recorded with yoko, so yes, he can play them.

So he can play them...have I ever mentioned I don't like a good deal of the Ohayocon staffers? So snippy. Unfortunately I've had the misfortune of meeting that guy too. It's no wonder they have staffers quit in droves and have so many positions open.

He's obviously not in the recording industry if he doesn't know that just because you perform a song you don't have exclusive rights to it, which is why I was asking in the first place. Ugh, Ohayocon staffers I feel for you.

That's what I'm saying! I always thought that the writer of the song has the rights to it.. yeah..

Bahzi
09-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Unless copyright laws are different in Japan, which I doubt, the writer does own all rights to the song. My mother performed on a couple cd's for a famous piano player, and was paid to do so, but she can't sing any of those songs unless he's performing with her, or has written permission. I think that's standard practice. Most composers will allow artists to perform their songs for a royalty fee, which is why older songs will be on many newer albums for various groups. Unless of course the song was written for a movie or show, and then a contract would have been written most likely forbidding the song to be used by anyone else than the composer and only on the official soundtracks and the composer's personal albums. Which would mean Bandai and Yoko have joint rights to the music and I'm sure there's a big long contract stating who and where the songs can be released/performed. Copyrights can get nasty....take a look at the RIAA, and they sued people just for listening to music they hold copyrights to, not performing.

*edit* Case in point my cousin is in a fairly popular christian pop band called Plus One and their band performed on the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack and they were not allowed to use it on their album.

Rameana
09-17-2004, 02:01 AM
Which this makes me wonder if they are working on actully either getting Yoko to come (which would be awesome but she is in high demand as well) or getting Bandai to come to the Convention.

So we will see.

Bahzi
09-17-2004, 02:12 AM
Man, if Yoko was there...while it's a long shot she did attend Otakon back in 1999 when they had less than 5,000 attendees, and Ohayocon can't be much smaller than that. On the other hand, Bebop hadn't been liscenced in the states and Escaflowne hadn't been on fox yet back then so she wasn't as popular and in demand as a guest. Wouldn't that put Columbus on the map..you know, other than just as the state capital. ^_^ As it is I may just skip the masquerade in order to get a good seat for the concert, and that's saying something. Not that I could hear a damn thing last year anyway... Nobody used mics and some 14 year olds kept screaming "shiny" right next to me. They should really tell people to behave themselves before it starts and enforce it. It's sad but most of the audience haven't ever seen a play or other performance and think it's a ball game...coincidentally I think these may be the same people who clap after every joke or action scene in movie theaters...must be a bad gene somewhere. :P

Rameana
09-17-2004, 02:38 AM
Yea, if she came to Ohayocon...it would put it on the map, big time.
But if she is a shy person, she might do it, because she would not have to contend with the huge crowd like Otakon. I WISH she would come... that would make my day. I only have a few artist/composers/writers that I enjoy in this world and they are James Horner, Yoko Kanno, and John Williams. All of their works are so moving..and unmatched in my eye.

I went to the Blood concert just to see what all the buzz was about. I sat down in a chair because I did not feel like being in that big pit in the middle of the room. That was for the fans, for the fans to be close and enjoy the show. It would have been nice if people would have sat down.... but it was a goth/rock concert.. you don't sit down at one if those. ^_^ But I want a good seat too, but don't wanna miss the concert either... but I think it will still be the same way.. where we have the masqurade and then they clear us out for the concert. Even though we have more space I still think they are gonna use the same space for both.

BountyBebopLuva
09-17-2004, 07:24 PM
OMG! If Yoko came.. I would DIE! lol. That is like the second person on my "to meet" list, below Steven Jay Blum.. lol.

akicafe
10-02-2004, 06:20 PM
I already apologized to animeisha, but I'd like to also add that steve has assured me personally (during our conversation about the contract) that he has legitimate legal rights to perform yoko's music.

But for everyone's information, staffers on ohayocon are aware of the potential copyright issues, and we are making sure that they are taken care of. Thank you to everyone for your concerns, please feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'll try to respond with an official (and not quite so snippy) answer.

aikoe
10-02-2004, 08:55 PM

I don't know much about this situation, but I feel that this comment is exceedingly rude and uncalled for. Just because you think someone has incorrectly answered a question does not give you the right to insult him and his coworkers, nor does it give you the right to deduce that he "obviously isn't in the recording industry." If you have a genuine reason to dislike the Ohayocon staffers, and not just "I think they're snippy," then by all means feel free to disclose it. I'm friends with a good many of the so-called "snippy Ohayocon staffers," and most of them are very kind, friendly people. Considering akicafe is actually on the Ohayocon staff, and therefore knows what is going on in regards to Steve Conte playing at Ohayocon, then he assumably knows more than you, or your mother, or any other outside source, about what Steve Conte can and can not play, even if it does apply to this one situation only.
As far as you having the "misfortune of meeting that guy," akicafe is a wonderfully nice person and I'm very glad to say that I'm friends with him. If you don't like him personally, maybe you should take it up with him instead of posting on a public forum. I also think referring to the entire staff as "snippy" is a drastic exaggeration of how they deal with situations such as unwanted posts, i.e. spammers and people who randomly insult congoers and staff, or how they deal with issues at the con. If they are in fact "snippy," then I'd say people who act like you just have give them a right to be.

Have a nice day.

Domokaru
10-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Wow Animeisha. Have you ever worked for a convention before? Just curious because alot of people donate their time and miss out on alot of the convention to make it run as smoothly as possible for the attendees without any reimbursement for donating their time for the convention and itís workup. Also, many con's are understaffed, and when the weekend of the convention comes they become quite busy, and thus the snippy-ness may possibly be a result of little sleep and doing three people's job instead of just one. Also, "quit in droves..." Do you have that as a statistic anywhere? Really if you do I'd like to see it instead of just being an assumption. Seriously, I think that convention personnel would kind of know what was going on in regards to one of their biggest guests this year. honestly, exercise a little more caution in what you say online, other people who actually know who your referring to may defend him, especially if they know him better than you and realize that he, as well as much of the rest of the staff work their butts off to put a convention together for fans to come and enjoy. Simply put, sometimes people who are planning an event actually know what their doing. Sorry if this touched badly on your nerves, but I will not stand idly by while lambastes a friend and partially the staff of a successful convention and let myself remain mute.