PDA

View Full Version : cosplay ball

Chukkie
09-17-2004, 10:08 AM
who would like to see a ballroom dancing event for cosplayers. It would be like one of those late night dances, only in a ballroom style, and with cosplay

Tri23
09-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Hmmm.. I'm not sure how many people know how to ballroom dance, and some costumes don't help for doing the waltz.

Though, it is an interesting idea. If nothing else, a Cosplay dance... but this year both dances were packed with people for most of the night. They probally burned 200 bucks in glow sticks.

Though... still an interesting idea. Hell, I'd love to see that instead of the segmented conga line that couldn't keep a beat. Seriously, it was like watching a cenapede that crawled into a chipper shredder. It started as one happy little bug.... but oh the humanity!

Finding Beauty
09-18-2004, 12:06 AM
Hmmm.. I'm not sure how many people know how to ballroom dance, and some costumes don't help for doing the waltz.

I think most costumes are more waltz-friendly than rave-friendly. Honestly, though I didn't attend the dances (I was out of costume by that time of the night and under the weather), I peeked in and was kind of alarmed by the barely-organized cacophony I saw.

At least spinning around ballroom style would be more conducive to protecting one's costume than thrashing around. :razz:

I think either way it sounds like a pretty good idea. I saw photos from the Final Fantasy Ball they had at Metrocon (I had a friend attending -- I wish I could have made it as I'd originally intended) and it looked fun.

I think the really huge issue at AZ would be finding an adequate space for such a thing, for everyone to feel comfortable. Though I've only got the one year under my belt, I think a larger place would be ... better. There has to be something in Durham -- albeit, I suppose it may be more expensive to get a larger space, and there may not be as many convenient hotels.

GreatSG
09-20-2004, 09:17 AM
I think most costumes are more waltz-friendly than rave-friendly. Honestly, though I didn't attend the dances (I was out of costume by that time of the night and under the weather), I peeked in and was kind of alarmed by the barely-organized cacophony I saw.

If you thought it looked bad from just what you saw, you should have smelled the dance room. Saturday night was awful at the dance, it smelled like a mix between wet cat and three day old worn gym socks in there! :mfg:

Finding Beauty
09-20-2004, 10:09 AM
If you thought it looked bad from just what you saw, you should have smelled the dance room. Saturday night was awful at the dance, it smelled like a mix between wet cat and three day old worn gym socks in there! :mfg:

That's scary. And definitely not encouraging me to attend the next one. ^.^;;

Though I might have to drop in just out of curiosity. I'm not much of a dance person, though (unless it was more like a ball), and I think it would definitely have to be an out-of-costume appearance, as everything I have planned for next year thus far involves a sword, really big wings, or a blindfold. O_o;

Tri23
09-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Though I've only got the one year under my belt, I think a larger place would be ... better. There has to be something in Durham -- albeit, I suppose it may be more expensive to get a larger space, and there may not be as many convenient hotels.

Actually, there really isn't, I mean.. nothing that is convention ready. The next big places that come to my mind are the Downtown Civic Center which has no direct hotel connection.

As I recall, that Sheraton has the largest convention space in RTP. The rest of the hotels are more like the Marriot that Animazement came from... and I don't think anybody wants to go back to those days with the number of people we have. You think you step over people in the halls now??!

A thought that has been juggled around was expanding the convention using banquete tents. The question on that is the expense and the feasbility of it. Trust me that the limitations of space and the increase of atendees is in consideration, though no definative answer has arisen yet.

Frankly, if Animazement happens to decide on renting a tent, imagine the possibilties. Beyond having the dances hosted there, having Kareoke away fron the building! Kareoke is like a supermodel with BO. The audiance loves to see it, but nobody else wants to have to work next to it.

Dexter
09-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Bwahahah!!! The bunny army led by Curr the Conqueror owned VGC! :chatah:

quadrain61
09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Actually, there really isn't, I mean.. nothing that is convention ready. The next big places that come to my mind are the Downtown Civic Center which has no direct hotel connection.

The Durham Civic Center is actually the hotel (Marriott) itself (http://marriott.com/meeting/tools/budget.mi). It was where Trinoc*Con was held at.

Hmm areas around the triangle for this...If possible if people want to rent out a convention area they usually let people use like a part of the con for less price depending on size, again there's the money problem.

Check out sites of hotels and such

Finding Beauty
09-20-2004, 10:33 PM

Really? x_x; Being from Greenville -- which has a pretty large (52,000 sq. ft.), if years-in-the-making convention center (http://www.greenvilleconventioncenter.com/) -- I figured that the Raleigh/Durham area had to have something larger than we do. It's not directly connected to a hotel, but the Hilton is next door, and there are several others in the area. Hn.

A thought that has been juggled around was expanding the convention using banquete tents. The question on that is the expense and the feasbility of it. Trust me that the limitations of space and the increase of atendees is in consideration, though no definative answer has arisen yet.

I don't know where a tent would go. I mean, I saw some extra space around the Sheraton, but ... I don't know. ;) Being a person who's adverse to hot weather but who likes to wear cold-weather clothing with her costumes, I can't imagine wanting to set foot into a tent. Lol.

Frankly, if Animazement happens to decide on renting a tent, imagine the possibilties. Beyond having the dances hosted there, having Kareoke away fron the building! Kareoke is like a supermodel with BO. The audiance loves to see it, but nobody else wants to have to work next to it.

I love your analogies. ;) I didn't attend the kareoke, myself. I can't sing, and it embarrasses me to hear other people sing badly. Er. No offense to anyone. :untrust:

nixxer
09-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Really? x_x; Being from Greenville -- which has a pretty large (52,000 sq. ft.), if years-in-the-making convention center (http://www.greenvilleconventioncenter.com/) -- I figured that the Raleigh/Durham area had to have something larger than we do. It's not directly connected to a hotel, but the Hilton is next door, and there are several others in the area. Hn.

you live in greenville NC? you're like the closest person Ive found on here yet, I live like only 45 mins away from greenville...but anyway >.>;;;
I like the idea of a ballroom, as last year at the rave all I did was jump around and after awhile that just wore on me...I'd much rather slow dance or waltz then jump...especially if I have hunky bisho to dance with :heart: ah if only *happy thoughts*

Finding Beauty
09-20-2004, 11:43 PM
you live in greenville NC? you're like the closest person Ive found on here yet, I live like only 45 mins away from greenville...but anyway >.>;;;

Yes. Well, I'm not exactly in Greenville -- more in-between Greenville and Farmville, but Greenville's the closest thing to real civilization (15 minutes), though I have a Farmville address (10 minutes from there). It's a pretty convenient location.

nixxer
09-20-2004, 11:49 PM
yeah, sounds like where I live. I live close by to New Bern, thats where I work, I just happen to reside outside in hick-ville aka Ernul -.- Im so thankful for my car, it carries me away to happy social bliss every day...

Tri23
09-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Really? I figured that the Raleigh/Durham area had to have something larger than we do.

Well, there has been talk, but convention cented are often public projects to bring revenue into the city. I rememer hearing discussion years back, but I think the overall concensus was Raleigh really doesn't need a convention center since it's growing more than enough without one, and other projects need the funding.

Plus all the major corportations in the area have their own facilties to hold their events.

I don't know where a tent would go. I mean, I saw some extra space around the Sheraton, but ... I don't know. ;) Being a person who's adverse to hot weather but who likes to wear cold-weather clothing with her costumes, I can't imagine wanting to set foot into a tent. Lol.

Well, as I was told, their have been immense improvements in "Tent Technology". A rented banquette tent would have air condition, hardwood floors, and excellent lighting. It's not like Animazement is just going to get a big old tarp and make the world's largest pup tent. Although, there were those powerlines running behind the hotel... hmmm...

I love your analogies. ;) I didn't attend the kareoke, myself. I can't sing, and it embarrasses me to hear other people sing badly. Er. No offense to anyone. :untrust:

Thanks! I spent about 10 minutes writing and revising that little analogy. (not much else to do when installing Linux. Urg) Frankly, I love Kareoke but I have never been able to do it at Animazement. A select few Animazement old timers remember that night... and some even have pictures.

This year though, I'm gonna do it. I believe if you do Kareoke, you've got to give it your all. It doesn't matter if ya can sing or ya can't as long as you really try.

Anyways.. my page is back up! *yippie* I got a new computer, so we had to have a LAN party. Now the site won't go down when Halflife2 comes out, or I just get a hankering for a game of Warcraft. :)

Chukkie
09-22-2004, 01:39 PM
yeah, sounds like where I live. I live close by to New Bern, thats where I work, I just happen to reside outside in hick-ville aka Ernul -.- Im so thankful for my car, it carries me away to happy social bliss every day...

You work in New Bern? I live about twenty minutes away from there. I wasn't aware that anybody who lived even remotely nearby was on this site.

nixxer
09-23-2004, 12:29 PM
You work in New Bern? I live about twenty minutes away from there. I wasn't aware that anybody who lived even remotely nearby was on this site.

I work at papa johns pizza to be precise :) but yay for more ppl who live near me, I didnt think anyone lived close either, it seems that most NC cosplayers live westerly, like over by raleigh...its nice to know theres others close by :D

Sh!bby
09-24-2004, 09:01 AM
I have a hard time finding cosplayers in and around Wilmington. -.-; Most of the ones I know from Animazement were the ones I talked into going or knew beforehand.

Inamichan
09-25-2004, 03:13 AM
Yes...yes. Lots of Raleigh/Durham cosplay and anime people. ^^; I's a Winston-Salem girl, and I only know a few people from that area...both that I met from this board. +_+

Anyway, I think a cosplay ball sounds like an awesome idea, if it can be done! I'll have my new skirt by then and will be rockin' the Zelda costume for it. :P

Rei2Rei
10-02-2004, 03:04 PM
The idea of a ball sounds awesome! :)

It would be so neat to have something like the Final Fantasy ball~! :heart:

Chukkie
10-02-2004, 07:25 PM
I sent an email to Animazement about the idea. Whether they go for it or not is up to them. Only time will tell.

Kilayi
10-04-2004, 07:15 PM
yes, a long time before they reply :P

In my personal experience, it takes a while

Chukkie
10-04-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm not surprised. I emailed Nekocon about 6 months ago when I was planning on going and they have yet to email me back

Tri23
10-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey Chuckie, what would be your prefered details of the event?
Time length?
Room size required?
What day would you guys prefer it be held?
Should it be Cosplayers only, at least for half of the event?
What would you need from Animazement?

Stuff like that.

Finding Beauty
10-06-2004, 12:05 AM
Time length?
Room size required?

Stuff like that.

I'd like to suggest Friday as a day for it. Saturday has the cosplay competition to excite things. I found kind of a lack of things to do on Friday. x_x;

Chukkie
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Time length?
Room size required?

Stuff like that.

I agree with Finding Beauty that it should be held on Friday, and I think that it should be held in the early to late evening. Heck, maybe it could replace the Friday Rave, I mean, no need for two of them I suppose. I suppose the bigger the better in terms of room size. It can be as big or small as the hotel would allow, but the bigger it is the more room people would have to dance. I don't really remember much about ballroom dancing since the last time I did it was when I was a little kid. I guess that I could reasearch it a bit. I think that the only things that we would need Animazement to provide would be the room, music, some lighting effects, and possibly a quick five minute dance lesson. Ballroom dancing really isn't all that hard. Or maybe I'm just a fast learner. I'm not sure if it should be cosplay only, that would make it a lot more interesting if it was cosplay only, but there are always the non cosplaying bf's or gf's who attend cons. Plus non cosplayers could always claim that they are random street characters in ___the anime/manga.

Chuuie
10-31-2004, 07:57 PM
ahhhhh i love it! sort of like a masquerade! i think thats a great idea! I usually dont last too long at cons (cosplay encourages VERY uncomfy shoes) but i would hang around for that!

musica heart
11-15-2004, 12:19 AM
yes and for the love of all that is...ball roomish in the dance factor..For heaven's sake please if we decide to push this for AZ 05, it would be nice if the music was set straight. Why do I suggest this.
A friend of mine and I and alot of other people for that matter spent some good money and time making some ball dresses for a " cosplay ball" ..* cough* AWA!*cough* 9! *cough*, and ended up with hard core techno music to dance too. To be frank, alot of people stayed for..15 minutes then left. @_@ The main question floating around was " ball? pardon..what do you mean this ball?" Seeing Tuxedo mask and a Queen serenity ( with crosages I might add) being torn between doing the waltz or the booty hop was really dicouraging...It was just one of those " everyone's butt is glued to the wall" type of events. So please, if its a ball..lets make it a stinkin ball! XD

Finding Beauty
11-15-2004, 06:15 PM
yes and for the love of all that is...ball roomish in the dance factor..For heaven's sake please if we decide to push this for AZ 05, it would be nice if the music was set straight. Why do I suggest this.
A friend of mine and I and alot of other people for that matter spent some good money and time making some ball dresses for a " cosplay ball" ..* cough* AWA!*cough* 9! *cough*, and ended up with hard core techno music to dance too.

Eek. How scary. I think to reach the proper compromise, there would have to still be a rave in addition to the ball -- or else we might end up with one of those events where people were in formal dress (or costume) and provided with music that you definitely cannot dance around to in some costumes.

Goddess Cookie
11-15-2004, 06:36 PM
I would love to do a ball but I don't know how to waltz...hmmm...slight problem with that isn't there...

DDR Faery Spice
11-16-2004, 04:22 PM
1. about the karaoke tangent that was going on for a few posts...95% of the entrees could actually sing(I was in it, thanks), but whether or not that has to do with winning is another matter(the girls that won didn't know their lyrics and were too quiet to be heard, but they had my Manwhore Ian stripping for them--perhaps you remember the Shirtless Bishie?--and Hanner with her whip, so yeah).
2. A cosplay ball would be nice, but please, don't replace the friday rave. they had some kickarse local techno deejay, whereas saturday wass just a bunch of badly-remixed anime themes with old mickey mouse cartoons running on the screen--a big step down from the previous year. Though the DJ was uber-hot in an angsty- bishounen sort of way.
3. The problem of not knowing how to waltz and/or foxtrot is solved by having a short lesson beforehand. Waltzing isn't too hard. I know.
4. And about the costume-feasibility thing...most people shed their costumes before going to the rave. It helps. ^_^ Which is why most people were wearing as little as possible. And the smell wasn't too bad, as long as you avoided getting within two feet of only a few people. Most of us were very conscious of the BO problem, and so took steps.

If this does work out, rest assured I'll be there. ^_^ And if you need someone to do a seminar beforehand on ballroom dancing, I'm willing to help out.

CosplayNeko
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
ahh- I would love that- It makes the perfect excuse to make big frilly dresses and such! I'd really enjoy that- I wanted to go to AWA just because of the "CLAMP ball" they had

adrawer4ever
04-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I probebly- no strike that I know I won't be dancing because i can't dance, but I'll be at the ball in my chinese dress, as Akai Kitsune maybe, but first i have to figure out how to get a fox tail on a dress as such without ruining the dress perminately.

hyperperson
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
A ball sounds awesome! although i would agree in the fact that it shouldn't replace friday night's rave just for the fact that, as stated before, it was MUCH better than the rave on saturday. ^_^ i do feel bad for the poor DJ though. everyone was trying to boo him off the stage. poor guy. *pat pat*

Chukkie
04-19-2005, 08:54 PM
wow, people still remember this thread? anyways I doubt this is going to happen since Animazemnt hasn't sent me a response as to whether they like the idea or not in about six months. Oh well, my heart's not broken or anything.

Tri23
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey hey now! *haruph*
I've been workin my ever-loving Info-Dude tookus off trying to get this stuff going. Have a little faith. Since it is such a big event, if it happen it won't be Fan hosted. The problem with something like this is that it is difficult to schedule. PLUS right now a certain info person is in Mega-Naggin Mode trying to get Staff to come out of hiding.

So, please don't get discouraged.. there are things going on the works behind the scenes. Hopefully everything will be settled by May and you'll start seeing things changing on the website. (and if you haven't checked the website recently, you'll make AZWebChick cry.) :(

Again.. Animazement has spies everywhere... and if you ever betray us, we'll drag you from your homes in the middle of the night and send you to the AZ re-education.

"HA HA! That's right, laminate faster! You call that entering registration forms? *whip*"

GreatSG
04-20-2005, 12:32 PM
As long as any new event doesn't get in the way of eitehr Anime Hell or my panel, i'm happy. :P

Of course, I think AZ should really cut back the AMV contest and keep it a one video per person deal and if the video really sucks... please don't show it to us...

Those three attrociously awful Naruto videos made by the same guy all back to back was insanely painful and I had to keep myself from yelling out "This guy sucks!" For those who were there you should know what i'm talking about...

Chukkie
04-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey hey now! *haruph*
I've been workin my ever-loving Info-Dude tookus off trying to get this stuff going. Have a little faith. Since it is such a big event, if it happen it won't be Fan hosted. The problem with something like this is that it is difficult to schedule. PLUS right now a certain info person is in Mega-Naggin Mode trying to get Staff to come out of hiding.

So, please don't get discouraged.. there are things going on the works behind the scenes. Hopefully everything will be settled by May and you'll start seeing things changing on the website. (and if you haven't checked the website recently, you'll make AZWebChick cry.) :(

Again.. Animazement has spies everywhere... and if you ever betray us, we'll drag you from your homes in the middle of the night and send you to the AZ re-education.

"HA HA! That's right, laminate faster! You call that entering registration forms? *whip*"

Not wanting to change the subject or steal your thunder, but how come I can't regester for the con online? Everytime I clink on the register link I get sent to Paypal.com. After I fill out all my credit card info it keeps telling me that I already have this card registered with paypal. Leaving me thinking "No #%^". Should I just print out the registration form and send a check in the mail?

Tri23
04-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Hmm.. paypal question eh? I can't help ya with that. That's a problem between you and paypal. Only one thing you can do...

Send a check.

Chukkie
05-03-2005, 06:46 PM
The good people at Animazement just emailed me saying that a cosplay ball is a no go this year. They said that it was a good idea but there wasn't enough space this year. Maybe next time.

Finding Beauty
05-03-2005, 06:49 PM
The good people at Animazement just emailed me saying that a cosplay ball is a no go this year. They said that it was a good idea but there wasn't enough space this year. Maybe next time.

Oh well.

I kind of figured it wouldn't happen. At least I can save some luggage/car/closet space by not bringing that evening gown for an impromptu Julia Heartilly cosplay ...

Hmm.

(Randomly, I love your avatar.)

Kasumiangel
05-13-2005, 08:34 PM

That's too bad. I think it would have been fun.