PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a white kimono? (Kotoko from Chobits costume)

Kateko
09-18-2004, 01:45 PM
I plan to be Kotoko from Chobits...and I want to shorten up a white kimono, because I'm new to sewing and figure that would be much easier than sewing an entire kimono. Does anyone know of a website I could order a completely white kimono?

michiko-chan
09-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Completely white kimono are not easy to find and they certainly aren't cheap. Generally they are only worn for wedding ceremonies (these are called shiromuku). You can find some on Ebay, but I think it would be easier just to make one. (and if you did buy one, you'd likely think twice before cutting up something so beautiful)
This thread has good information about kimono patterns and links for how to wear it. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=37659

Kuro Yue
09-18-2004, 04:08 PM
I second that. I searched for weeks for a pure white kimono that I could mess with for my abandoned Sesshoumaru costume, and there was NOTHING.

rei_hino
09-18-2004, 06:57 PM
I third that, lol^^ Making you're own is certainly not easy (especially for someone who hasn't sewn for a long time) , but is much cheaper thanordering a real one. Besides, you can buy the material that you want it to be, because kimonos might be hot or something (i've never worn one, but I'm picturing a thick material here. . .) Besides, it's good to try, and it's good practice. I mean, when you're making something, you'll be thinking "I'm never using that again. =_=" or" Maybe I should have done it this way" or my personal favorite "Oh, so. . now I get how to sew sleeves (after sewing the sleeves on the costume completely wrong, then I figured it out^^) and that way you learn form you're mistakes, and you use you're knowledge that you gained for other costumes so you won't make the mistakes again.^^ *end of babbling*

newmyu
10-04-2004, 02:24 PM
My first sewing project was a kimono, and they're really not that difficult. Seriously.. :) So I'd go get the Butterick pattern for them.. they've also got the more accurate sleeves rather than the 'American version' of a kimono... I've made two now, one of which was for a Hino Rei (Sailormoon) Miko outfit (Shinto priestess) for a friend, and it came out GREAT.

Definiately try to make one first... otherwise expect to pay upwards of $100-$200...probably more.

Tia
10-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah, they're really not hard at all. I promise! All you have to know how to do is cut rectangles, add a little angle to the two front panels, and sew a reasonably straight seam. I will find the reference sites I used when I made mine. They were a tad confusing, though, so maybe I will just try to make up a tutorial for ya.

Chibi Plush Toy
10-04-2004, 06:26 PM
Any Chinatown or some asian Import store...that's all I can say.

kagehikari
10-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Sewing one yourself would be your best bet. They're really not that hard.

The best pattern comes from Folkwear.com

It's a bit expensive, but entirely worth it.

Brash
10-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Hmm, I'm interested in sewing a kimono for a Miroku cosplay. Anyone know where I can find a pattern that doesn't cost me a kazillion dollars (preferably $0 ^_^)?

EDIT: I did some scrounging on the forums and on the interweb, and this is the best site (http://luxnova.home.mindspring.com/samuraigame/yukata.html) I could find for instructions of sewing a kimono.

Gali
10-05-2004, 10:13 PM
For a Miroku cosplay? I got a better one, go to Party City and buy the black Monk outfit...cut off the hood, buy some purple fabric and your basically done! I did it for a friend and it looked great...I only spent about and hour on it and that is that long mainly because I'm a perfectionist.