PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for the Best Costume?

ignats69
12-16-2002, 09:22 PM
Can anyone recommend a high quality costume maker??
Where is the best place to go to have a costume made???
What places should I avoid???
Any comments, Cheers or Jeers regarding costumes??

I just wanted to get some insight and hear what you all have to say about it. Thanks!

Koumori
12-16-2002, 09:48 PM
What kind of costume are you looking for? Some people have different specialties. I hear only good things about Nezumi (http://www.geocities.com/cosplaymouse/) but she is booked solid at the moment.

Hikaruchan
12-16-2002, 11:30 PM
I would second Nezumi if she wasn't booked. Besides making my own costumes, I sometime buy used costumes for anime club. Of these costumes from various seamtresses, only Nezumi's so far has met my standards. Great craftmanship. There were a few small details not exactly right, but her work totally overshadows the others have seen close up.

Himemiya
12-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Setsuna-kou is awesome. http://members.fortunecity.com/setsunakou/

Koumori
12-17-2002, 09:07 AM
Setsuna Kou is very versatile and does fine work (she made my Sailor Neptune costume) but I found there were some quality issues with the costume I ordered from her - I had to make some minor repairs to loose hand-stitching, re-stitch some loose snaps, cover the zipper a little more closely, tighten up the fabric covering on the shoes. But overall I was pleased with the costume itself; it was fine for the Halloween party I wore it to, included all the pieces, included the upper-bust shaping/padding that you don't often see replicated on Sailor Moon costumes, and her prices are very reasonable.

cutekawaii
12-17-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, I take commissions and I've got 90% positive feedback... you can check out my stuff here: http://CygneNoir.net

Hikaruchan
12-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Setsuna Kou does an okay job - but quality seems to vary quite a bit with her costumes. Know someone who got 2 Miaka outfits from her and they are both good. I picked up a club costume of Sailor Moon done by her and there are several problems. Lots of loose stitching, boot covers not well joined at ankle, no padded bust, attachable wings not done well at all. For the price its probably okay for most.

Sunde & Schuld
12-17-2002, 05:18 PM
I'm not a big fan of Setsuna Kou's work....for her skill level, I find her prices much too high. Not to mention I've shown a piece of her work to a professional seamstress once only to be told quite bluntly that it was "incorrectly made".

I'm glad I make my own costumes =^-^= [and take commissions too]

cutekawaii
12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
yeah, i was never impressed with her work (setsuna kou's). she says she's a professional seamstress but...I'm not so sure about that. Also, i don't like how she makes EVERYTHING out of fabric, like props that are obviously NOT ment to be fabric, but fabricATED instead. also, if she can whip out so many costumes in so little time, there's no way that thay can be well made.

Daitenshi
12-18-2002, 03:18 AM
The J.A.S.P.E.R. Cosplay Closet makes extremely high quality costumes. Their prices are about the same as Nezumi's, although I've heard that they've become more expensive since 2001.
I commisioned my Sesshoumaru costume from them for AX 2000, and it really is amazing ^^

....just whatever you do, _don't_ call them Jasper. It may be the larger part of their logo, but they'll get really offended ^^;;;;

Koumori
12-18-2002, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Daitenshi
The J.A.S.P.E.R. Cosplay Closet makes extremely high quality costumes. Their prices are about the same as Nezumi's, although I've heard that they've become more expensive since 2001.
I commisioned my Sesshoumaru costume from them for AX 2000, and it really is amazing ^^

Unfortunately they're also booked solid at the moment..

I do make the vast majority (all but one) of my own costumes, but every so often it's nice to have somebody else do the work for you.

ignats69
12-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all your feedback.
I am looking for a Sailor Moon costume.
Something that doesn't look like I made it myself. :)
I'm the type of person who would pay more for quality than buy something cheap just because it is available.

Yuna
12-20-2002, 04:46 AM
You might want to check back with Tristen Citrine when she opens up commisions again. SHe *is* a professional costume maker, she works for the Venitian in Las Vegas and a cheif costume repairer. She also speciallizes in Sailor Moon costumes. Her website is:
http://www.goldenquartz.com
Her stuff is quite amazing to say the least.

Hikaruchan
12-20-2002, 09:00 AM
I haven't seen a Cosplay Closet costume up close, but they look nice in pictures. I have seen a Tristen Citrine costume up close when I help an Eternal Sailor Saturn snap his back bow into place and the costume looked well done.

peaseblossom
01-02-2003, 08:51 PM
I also do costume commissions. My business is quite new though, so a lot of people haven't heard of me. I like to work very closely with my customers to make sure they get exactly what they want. ^_^

camuimana
01-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Peaseblossom and Nikki (cutekawaii) might kick me but a long while ago I wrote to several "well-known" costumers asking them to make me an Aya costume (kind of an experiment of sorts to amuse myself). Nikki and Peasblossom actually gave me the best prices and they got back to me the fastest. One person *no names mentioned* said it'd cost $500 (plus the $25 shipping x.X ). Some people are really outrageous with their prices when the quality of there work isn't even that wonderful, so be careful when you're out on the market. ^_^

peaseblossom
01-03-2003, 05:15 PM
I was wondering when the person who wanted the Aya costume was gonna write back! ^_^

I have a costume in the works right now for a pretty high price, but the girl wants expensive fabrics, I am providing actual shoes and shoe covers and I am shopping for then styling the wig. She's getting "the works and then some!" ^_^

camuimana
01-03-2003, 05:20 PM
Yeah I meant to write everyone back but I got lazy ^^;; ((and I was busy that week because it was the last week of school before break.))

But if I ever wanted to commission something I'd probably go to you or nikki, based on the responses I got. ^_^

ignats69
01-04-2003, 09:21 PM
I am looking for a Sailor Moon costume! I wanted my first costume to be Eternal Sailor Moon or Neo-Queen Serenity. But my second choice would be Mew Ichigo from Tokyo Mew Mew. It would be nice to go to a con with a newer costume and something that hasn't been overdone. If any of you could help me out I would soo appreciate it!!!
Thanks a bunch!

peaseblossom
01-04-2003, 09:40 PM
Ignats: Be glad to. Email me and we can talk about it! ajbrannick@hotmail.com

cutekawaii
01-04-2003, 10:38 PM
That was you?? Grraaa! *kicks* I thought I was getting business!! XD~ I'm waaay to busy right now to accept anything else tho o.o I have to make 5 school uniforms by February X.X

Thanks for the compliments on the service tho :>

And I think I know who you're talking about price wise o.O

Originally posted by camuimana
Peaseblossom and Nikki (cutekawaii) might kick me but a long while ago I wrote to several "well-known" costumers asking them to make me an Aya costume (kind of an experiment of sorts to amuse myself). Nikki and Peasblossom actually gave me the best prices and they got back to me the fastest. One person *no names mentioned* said it'd cost $500 (plus the $25 shipping x.X ). Some people are really outrageous with their prices when the quality of there work isn't even that wonderful, so be careful when you're out on the market. ^_^