PDA

View Full Version : King of Fighters :Mai

Niaomi Fugiama
09-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Question, what should I use to make the balls that dangle in the back of Mai's costume? I was thinking about styrofoam but I really don't want them to break or get dented you know what I mean? Thanks for your help!!
~Niaomi~

Michi
09-24-2004, 02:53 PM
For my costumes I use styrofoam balls covered in fabric. When the fabric is in that rounded shape, you don't even notice any small dents. Just be careful with them so they don't get BIG dents in them. ^^;; I also make a hollowed out passage in the middle of the ball to put the tail in and tie at the end. ^_^ It makes a mess though, so if you do that do it over a trash can. XD Also don't make it too big or the ball will slip right off the knot. @_@

There's also plastic balls at fabric stores but I dunno how well they'd work for threading a tail through. I've always just used styrofoam, and I've done it three times. ^^;

Alaina Yagami
09-25-2004, 12:53 AM
What I used were softballs from Wal-Mart that I painted red and white and cut a hole through.Course I'd used fabric since the paint was itchy while walking.

mysticalchali
09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I also used styrafoam balls, one painted red. It's the easiest to put a hole through.

Niaomi Fugiama
09-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Kewl, I think I may just use styrofoam.......it seems to be the most popular and cost effecient and I have no money so yeah! Thanks girls!
~Nia

Michi
09-26-2004, 08:48 PM
I also used styrafoam balls, one painted red. It's the easiest to put a hole through.

What did you use to paint with? I did that on my first Mai and it didn't work very well. x_X So I've covered them in fabric ever since.

Niaomi Fugiama
09-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Well I haven't quite made them yet......I was kinda waiting for an opinion on what to use. When it came to the paint though I was planning on using house paint or some of the stronger stuff. Then again I've also had my bad luck with that too, so can't win yah know? @.@ I think I'll go with the material covering it becasue it seems the most practical if it get dents which knowing me... it will ^.^"

Michi
09-28-2004, 02:28 AM
I was asking mysticalchali. ^^;

But I dunno.. A regular styrofoam ball not covered in anything (the white one that isn't painted) could get damaged really easily. Hell, the painted one too. That's why I cover mine in fabric. @_@

mysticalchali
09-28-2004, 03:21 AM
What did you use to paint with? I did that on my first Mai and it didn't work very well. x_X So I've covered them in fabric ever since.
Some type of acrilc craft paint. It wasn't very thick or heavy.

HealerKou
09-28-2004, 10:53 AM
I've also made mine out of styrofoam balls from a craft store, which I painted with acryllic. Just cut a hole in the center and put the tails through, then tie a knot to keep them from falling all the way down. The ones I used were fairly hard, so you'd have to do something pretty impressive to dent them. Like run them over with a car.

cactusmomma
09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Would dry foam work? It's pretty pliable yet stiff right?

Michi
09-28-2004, 01:30 PM
The ones I used were fairly hard, so you'd have to do something pretty impressive to dent them. Like run them over with a car.

What kind of styrofoam is this? O_O Haha but you could still cut open a hole through them right?

HealerKou
09-28-2004, 02:52 PM
What kind of styrofoam is this? O_O Haha but you could still cut open a hole through them right?

Yeah, it's this kind I got at Michael's Arts and Crafts that's really hard all the way through, almost like it's regular foam that's just been air-sealed or something. *laugh* But I had a friend of mine cut the holes in the middle with a butcher knife, and that seemed to work. It wasn't actually my idea...he offered to do that part of the project for me and I came upstairs from sewing and saw him on the floor jabbing a knife into the balls with all these little foam pieces all around. ^_^; But whatever works!

Michi
09-28-2004, 03:14 PM
It wasn't actually my idea...he offered to do that part of the project for me and I came upstairs from sewing and saw him on the floor jabbing a knife into the balls with all these little foam pieces all around. ^_^; But whatever works!

Haha oh god. That's what I did. I grabbed the styrofoam and a pair of scissors and a pen and just jabbed through the thing til the whole was big enough for the tail to go through. XD Foam pieces went EVERYWHERE so I had to do it over a trash can. @___@

Niaomi Fugiama
09-28-2004, 09:17 PM
woops sorry, my bad heheh ^^