PDA

View Full Version : Green Lantern Costume

Oselle
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone -

I've had a request to make a Green Lantern costume for a friend (reference images are attached). Any and all input is very much appreciated, as I don't have much time to pull this together!

Some thoughts:
- possible fabric choices?
- build a shirt and pants from scratch, or purchase a men's unitard?
- if sewn from scratch, does anyone have pattern recommendations?
- paint or applique the white design on?

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your help.
~ O

dani
09-26-2004, 11:59 PM
If time is an issue, I'd start with a purchased unitard. Maybe get a bigger size and fill it with foam somewhat to simulate muscle lines. Don't forget lycra is very unforgiving of the curves it finds underneath. If the guy is not used to wearing JUST lycra he'll feel naked :)

Eleryth
09-27-2004, 01:31 AM
I don't remember what brand it is, but there's a fabric paint that can be used on stretchy fabrics. Dharma's Trading might have more info... (I thought I saw it there...) or search the other threads.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/paints.html

Bamph
09-27-2004, 04:05 AM
I did the costume for a friend a while back, I still have the pattern if you are interested.

Oselle
09-27-2004, 11:46 AM
I did the costume for a friend a while back, I still have the pattern if you are interested.

Gah! Yes, I'm VERY interested in said pattern. Post here, or feel free to pm or email me so that I can pick your brain further. ^_^

GoldfishGirl
09-27-2004, 05:44 PM
If you want his, uh... "Attributes" not to show though, and believe me they will, you'll need to purchase a Dance Belt (http://www.discountdance.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/dancewear/page_MEN_p1.html). They make it nice and padded and discreet.
Also, the Discount Dance store has some of the least expensive unitards I've seen. Good luck. I'm all for the manly lycra-ness.

CosplayerGabi
09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
I strongly advise the dance belt also. It is a must have.

As a back up to the above mentioned: I watched a feature trailer called Grayson in which Green Lantern appears. The director of the short says he just used a wet suit for Green Lantern's costume. He painted in the green and white portions.

To see it go here:
http://www.theforce.net/theater/nonsw/grayson/

Gab

makio
09-28-2004, 07:17 PM

If possible, I'd like to also get a PM with the pattern. :thumbsup: Any suggestions on how to make the mask though?

GoldfishGirl
09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
One option for the mask is using fabric/leather and spirit gum... But it may be a little too painful.

video567
09-30-2004, 06:26 PM
I would love to check out this pattern

JackSparks
01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
I ran across this thread while googling for Green Lantern Costume stuff. Any chance that I could have that Pattern as well?

thanks

Jack

Eleryth
01-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey, since the thread's here, and Halloween is long gone, how'd it turn out? I'd love to see pictures!

Oselle
01-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey, since the thread's here, and Halloween is long gone, how'd it turn out? I'd love to see pictures!

...so would I. >_<

The person I made it for never ended up wearing it! (He moved that weekend and was too tired to put the darn thing on a take a couple of pictures).

IMHO, it turned out okay. Not great, and DEFINITELY not up to master standards. But I was working within his constraints, i.e. tight budget, pieces must be re-wearable, etc., etc., so I did the best I could. I'm least happy with the gauntlets. They were rotten! But he hasn't asked me to remake them (though I did offer), so who knows? o_O It was kind of fun sewing for someone else for once, though, so if I was asked to do another commission-y type thing and I had time, I'd do it. Meep!

GoldfishGirl
01-17-2005, 08:49 PM
...That's too bad. I'd hate it if I sewed something for someone and never got to see the fruits of my labor all bloomy and stuff. 'Specially with the 'Lantern *growl*.

Eleryth
01-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Aw, that's too bad! Maybe one day he'll send you piccies. Might have to wait for next Halloween.

Part of me wishes I could do commissions, but the other part of me says "NO WAY!". ^^ Maybe later.

So, dude, extrapolating from a comment - you're master level now? Go you! Counting what I should, I think I'm still a Novice. :P

Oselle
01-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Yes....eeep! We won Best in Class at the master level at TT last year, as well as Best in Show at AN. So even though Baensidhe and I don't feel like we really qualify, we have to compete as masters via the ICG rules. You are not a novice, as you have won an award (two, although one was a workmanship award, in fact at the journeyman level!). As most people interpret it, as soon as you win a [performance] award as a novice, you move up to journeyman. And dude, you are more than talented!! But I digress waaaaaaaay off topic.

And I'm going to pester my Green Lantern to put the costume on for photos soon! ^_^ Though I'm a touch worried, I really don't know how it'll look all together. T_T I suppose if it's icky, I can just refrain from posting anything.

makio
01-18-2005, 04:18 AM
Had to ditch the Batman Beyond costume originally planned for Megacon2005, iRL tests of the costume just reminded me too much of "the Gimp" from Pulp Fiction. Which creeped me out to no end! :eeek:

I actually want to resume work on my own GL costume(John Stewart from the animated series; didn't like the comic version), though I'm thinking of making his boots similar to Kyle's instead of those weird "sock-thingies" from the cartoon. Sort of like the "Bamph" guy who posted pics of the shin bracers on the GL costume earlier. I'll have progress pics as early as this incoming weekend if all goes well!

...and yes, if you saw the contact lenses post on the Coloured Contacts vs. Prescription Contacts (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=51625) board, that was the GL costume I was referring to. :thumbsup: I'd like to get the contact lenses for the costume, if funds and time allows too!

Eleryth
01-18-2005, 04:50 AM
Can't wait to see! I'm majorly itching for some cartoon cosplay (more along the lines of The adventures of Batman and robin Catwoman [grey and black]), but hey... ^^

Sockbooties are always weird, I find. I imagine they're difficult to construct to look right, and have somewhat of a protected sole. Haven't seen the post; perhaps you could post your GL costume plans here, too?

Oselle: Oi! Masters! Awesome. I know you've got the skills, I've been keeping tabs on your latest work! ;)

Oselle
01-18-2005, 08:59 AM
The sockbooties themselves I found weren't too bad to construct, as my friend surrended an old pair of wrestling boots to the cause. ^_^ I had some trouble with the knee-guard things, though. Mostly because I simply wasn't using the best fabric (a thicker vinyl, best we could find in the colour that he wanted), and I was in a hurry. Bou!

Can't wait to see your progress, Makio! I quite preferred the animated series GL costume myself (sockbooties aside, of course. ;) ).