PDA

View Full Version : This will be my First con, any tips?

Azira
09-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Anime Boston Will Be the frist convetion im am going to. other than my cosplay costumes (Karasu and mabye Kuronue) What are some Tips for going?......and what should i do with my mom. becasue she is Very over protective

YunaheartsVivi
09-28-2004, 11:29 PM
First tip. Try to avoid scary looking fanboys if you go in costume. And secondly, I had my mom with me at my first con and it really wasnt to bad. Espessially since shes into SciFi stuff. She pretty much just did her own thing and bought me stuff every now and then :D Main tip: talk to lots of people and dont be shy! Everyone is really nice at the cons I've attended and Ive made some lovely friend ^.^

Azira
09-29-2004, 04:20 PM
First tip. Try to avoid scary looking fanboys if you go in costume. And secondly, I had my mom with me at my first con and it really wasnt to bad. Espessially since shes into SciFi stuff. She pretty much just did her own thing and bought me stuff every now and then :D Main tip: talk to lots of people and dont be shy! Everyone is really nice at the cons I've attended and Ive made some lovely friend ^.^

ill be crossplying as Karasu so fangoys wont be too much of a problem.
My mom might find somethngs she will be digusted with
im not very soical and uslally yell at people and act Sarcastic,Arrogent, and Sadistic but when it comes to Anime Fans i Act nice=|, Like when i was on vactaion everytime i went to a bookstore to Freeload manga i got in to a converstaionXD
I cant wait to go and see the coslpay

Cosmos/Moon
10-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Anime Boston is a great con, a lot of cool people attend. It's going to be much bigger this year they expect

Tips... bring food with you.. sometimes there isn't any food there and if there is it's really expensive
Drink lots of water

Oh and Preregister ! it's so much easily than waiting in line all day long !

Have Fun !

mariksgrl
10-05-2004, 11:48 AM
yeah i know this is my first con to ~ and i need to ask if its a good idea to go as usada from digi charat ?? im afraid that fanboys may peek up my skirt like little perverts and gwk at my breasts 0-o

shiroi_yukiko
10-05-2004, 12:05 PM
I've never had any huge problems with fanboys. I think if you do, you just have to let them know that they're making you uncomfortable!

As for what to do with a parent... My mom used to come to cons with me. The first time, she just followed us around, but the second time she actually volunteered at the registration table! She had a pretty good time. I guess not everyone's mom wants to do that though... ^^

Azira
10-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Anime Boston is a great con, a lot of cool people attend. It's going to be much bigger this year they expect

Tips... bring food with you.. sometimes there isn't any food there and if there is it's really expensive
Drink lots of water

Oh and Preregister ! it's so much easily than waiting in line all day long !

Have Fun !

my mom is hesitateing to pre register, it might take somwe time thouygh becasue i just got suspened from school ......What?
::writes down Bring FOOD::

Azira
10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
As for what to do with a parent... My mom used to come to cons with me. The first time, she just followed us around, but the second time she actually volunteered at the registration table! She had a pretty good time. I guess not everyone's mom wants to do that though... ^^

my mom kinda over protective....and she woulkd want to do the registation thing. hopefully i cane rome around aimlessly by myself

Saki_B
10-05-2004, 04:09 PM
yeah i know this is my first con to ~ and i need to ask if its a good idea to go as usada from digi charat ?? im afraid that fanboys may peek up my skirt like little perverts and gwk at my breasts 0-o

Ahaha. Yeah, Anime Boston 2004 was my first Con, and I was so incredibly reluctant, especially since I was breaking out of my shell by going as Warrior Paine from FFX-2. I only had a few problems with gawkers, but for the most part, everyone is extremely nice there. If you just put yourself out there to make some friends, you'll find that people are more than willing to help fend weirdos away from you ^-^

mariksgrl
10-05-2004, 09:57 PM
ok thanx guys for the advice on that ^-^v

Mew_Pudding
10-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Have fun! My Mommy goes to the cons with me! (Just turned 13. n.n; ) She`s not bad, she evens knows half the words to alot of the anime music I listen to now! Make sure to be friendly and have a great time!! Also, ask before you glomp. XDDD I`m too shy to without asking. v.v;
See ya` there!! ^___^

Azira
10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Have fun! My Mommy goes to the cons with me! (Just turned 13. n.n; ) She`s not bad, she evens knows half the words to alot of the anime music I listen to now! Make sure to be friendly and have a great time!! Also, ask before you glomp. XDDD I`m too shy to without asking. v.v;
See ya` there!! ^___^

my mom thinks the word in Aniem are satanitc.....not Japanese
if i glomped sowmone my mom would thiunk of it as killing, for i am violent. (just got of of shcool suspention)

Sweet~Pea
10-07-2004, 08:14 PM
Animeboston, being at the hines this year, is right next to a mall with a full food court (sushi place included) so food isn't an issue really. Keep a water bottle and a snack bar with you during a day if you can. If you become dehydrated it's bad lol. And don't load yourself up with so many events and photoshoots that you have no time to relax. i did that last year and was kind of stressed. Went you get the schedule, go over it with your mum and friends to figure out what you want to see/do and figure out a schedule of your own so you don't miss anything.

Cheers
-Christa

Codemonkey
10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah, AB 2005 will be my first con too!

To be honest, I just hope I don't get pushed around too much. And my mum's trusting me... So I guess I got off lucky.

As for tips, I'm gonna carry around a lot of batteries... Never know when you might need em'... But that doesn't really help does it? Heh... Sorry.

Azira
10-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Animeboston, being at the hines this year, is right next to a mall with a full food court (sushi place included) so food isn't an issue really. Keep a water bottle and a snack bar with you during a day if you can. If you become dehydrated it's bad lol. And don't load yourself up with so many events and photoshoots that you have no time to relax. i did that last year and was kind of stressed. Went you get the schedule, go over it with your mum and friends to figure out what you want to see/do and figure out a schedule of your own so you don't miss anything.

Cheers
-Christa

ill try not to do alot, caus ei have the tendency to become lazy and sleep...anywhere like in the hallway at school or in a store at the mall....i guess thats a problem ::drinks more coffee::

Gale
10-10-2004, 11:31 AM
well, this is my first time at AB, but I've been to smaller cons before. My mom is kind of over protective too, to tell the truth, she doesnt even know I post here and if she did I'd loose my internet privelages for life! ironically enough, though, she was really cool with the cons she even talked to some other parents (Like Mew_Pudding's mom). it was convienent to have her around as a photographer for me too. of course, she was also pretty tired from staying up all night to help finish my costumes....but still :thumbsup:

just don't do anything stupid, and if she seems wary of you talking to other cosplayers about their costumes or anime or anything, just get a quick snapshot and move on. there's plenty to do without socializing much; that's how I spent my first con (of course, I had a friend with me) however, it does add another great, fun element to everything to go off and chat with other people.

Azira
10-15-2004, 04:22 PM
my mom said i can only go for one day. i need reasons to stay!

Ushi
10-15-2004, 04:57 PM
my mom said i can only go for one day. i need reasons to stay!Um tell her that there is something going on that they are only going to try once. You know, like a once in a lifetime opportunity kind of thing. Tell her it's really important to you. Or you could say you met someone from school there and they need someone to walk around with. If all else fails....get lost in the con and chain yourself to a pole.

Azira
10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Um tell her that there is something going on that they are only going to try once. You know, like a once in a lifetime opportunity kind of thing. Tell her it's really important to you. Or you could say you met someone from school there and they need someone to walk around with. If all else fails....get lost in the con and chain yourself to a pole.

thats not goignm to work she said, 'its just that same thing everyday' as soon as she said it i got a headache that still wont go away

Ushi
10-15-2004, 07:38 PM
thats not goignm to work she said, 'its just that same thing everyday' as soon as she said it i got a headache that still wont go awayThat's terrible! I will keep thinking! My brilliant mind is sure to come up with something. Oh, by the way. I'm going to be there so if you see me (I'll be cosplaying as Sakura in her cat battle costume and an original costume with a bunny hat) say hi and I'll convince your mom to let you stay!

Gale
10-15-2004, 07:39 PM
but its not the same thing every day. did you show her the schedual? if you plan well, and outline what pannels you want to see, which viewing/gaming rooms you want to hit, and what workshops you want to do, then she might understand. Also tell her about preregistering. Her reasoning may be that she thinks it costs too much (but most cons are pretty pricey). If you can find some way to help pay for it yourself, offer to do that too.

Also, if it turns out you really can only go for one day, know its not the end of the world. the past two years I only went to one day of CTcon (the only con I've ever attended) and it was great! sure I missed stuff, but I got to do a lot in the one day I attended. there will be more cons to attend in the future, just be patient and wait until you're old enough to go on your own. it may seem like a long time, but it will be worth it because then you will have the freedom to make your own judgements on what to do and the responcibility to do it on your own.

Azira
10-15-2004, 09:39 PM
but its not the same thing every day. did you show her the schedual? if you plan well, and outline what pannels you want to see, which viewing/gaming rooms you want to hit, and what workshops you want to do, then she might understand. Also tell her about preregistering. Her reasoning may be that she thinks it costs too much (but most cons are pretty pricey). If you can find some way to help pay for it yourself, offer to do that too.

Also, if it turns out you really can only go for one day, know its not the end of the world. the past two years I only went to one day of CTcon (the only con I've ever attended) and it was great! sure I missed stuff, but I got to do a lot in the one day I attended. there will be more cons to attend in the future, just be patient and wait until you're old enough to go on your own. it may seem like a long time, but it will be worth it because then you will have the freedom to make your own judgements on what to do and the responcibility to do it on your own.

im trying to explain this concept to her. i need a schedual

Aleathia Burns
10-15-2004, 11:25 PM
This will be my first time and first out of state con ever and I was wondering if anyone know about any chaper hotels nearby? I am not familiar with Boston and I was wondering if anyone can help me.
Azia-chan: I have a suggestion!!! Get a group of friends to accompany you and see if you know someone who is old enough let's say an age ranging from about 16-up and your mom trust this individual) to hang out with you at the convention and maybe she may let you go another day!!!! Plus if you get with a group you guys can pool your money together and maybe the cost will be lower for a ticket. I hope this will work and your mom should not have to worry if you are hanging with a more responsibe young adult that way she know this person and you will have a great time there. Good luck and look on the bright side when you get older you can go all 3 days and you will have more knowlege about conventions as well.

Naoyan
10-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Good luck with convincing your mom. This year might be my first too. I won't have that much trouble convincing my mom since it's only an hour drive away, my parents used to work in Boston so they're familiar with it, it's during my spring vacation, and it's two weeks after my birthday so I could treat going to AB as a birthday present.

Bribe your mom or something. Perhaps if you do really well in something or promise to say keep your room clean for a month (Which is impossible for me. ><)

For me my mom would be overjoyed at the thought of me going to a social event. I'm a bit of an antisocial loner. ^^;

Azira
10-16-2004, 10:14 AM
That's terrible! I will keep thinking! My brilliant mind is sure to come up with something. Oh, by the way. I'm going to be there so if you see me (I'll be cosplaying as Sakura in her cat battle costume and an original costume with a bunny hat) say hi and I'll convince your mom to let you stay!

oh! i'd love that costume!

Azira
10-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Azia-chan: I have a suggestion!!! Get a group of friends to accompany you and see if you know someone who is old enough let's say an age ranging from about 16-up and your mom trust this individual) to hang out with you at the convention and maybe she may let you go another day!!!! Plus if you get with a group you guys can pool your money together and maybe the cost will be lower for a ticket. I hope this will work and your mom should not have to worry if you are hanging with a more responsibe young adult that way she know this person and you will have a great time there. Good luck and look on the bright side when you get older you can go all 3 days and you will have more knowlege about conventions as well.

i dont really have any freidns that like Anime like me, let alone ones 16-up.

Azira
10-16-2004, 10:20 AM
Good luck with convincing your mom. This year might be my first too. I won't have that much trouble convincing my mom since it's only an hour drive away, my parents used to work in Boston so they're familiar with it, it's during my spring vacation, and it's two weeks after my birthday so I could treat going to AB as a birthday present.

Bribe your mom or something. Perhaps if you do really well in something or promise to say keep your room clean for a month (Which is impossible for me. ><)

For me my mom would be overjoyed at the thought of me going to a social event. I'm a bit of an antisocial loner. ^^;

Boston is also an hour or so drive away from me. Yeah im an antisocial loner too, last time i went to a soical event i was forced and miserable

Ushi
10-16-2004, 10:30 AM
i dont really have any freidns that like Anime like me, let alone ones 16-up.I'll be your friend! I like anime and I'm turning 16 this February.

Azira
10-16-2004, 10:38 AM
I'll be your friend! I like anime and I'm turning 16 this February.

woot that 1 Friend
8 pity friends

Ushi
10-16-2004, 10:50 AM
woot that 1 Friend
8 pity friendsThose are the best kind.

Azira
10-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Those are the best kind.

ill make sure to go on Saturday, or what ever day the Yuu Yuu Cosplay thing will be at

Ushi
10-16-2004, 11:25 AM
ill make sure to go on Saturday, or what ever day the Yuu Yuu Cosplay thing will be atYush, that seems like it would be a good idea if you are only going for one day. Pick the day you most like.