PDA

View Full Version : Bleach Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

freesia
10-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Me and a huge group are planning to be a multitude of Bleach people for the coming Otakon... Most of us are going to be shinigamis, which means for the most part, our main costumes are all the same.

I have a pretty good idea what the costume consists of, but I was wondering if there was anyone around that would have helpful hints (especially with the kimono-esque top that's pretty common). I know extremely few people have cosplayed Bleach thusfar.. so this is a far shot. But any helpful suggestions would be welcome and considered :) !

hikarilight
10-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Sorry, I can't really help you because I haven't mad anything that's kimonoish related or what not but what I can say is that I, too, am planning on making a Bleach cosplay because I love Bleach manga and the anime is coming out in a few days~ I must make something (even though it won't be worn until sometime next year possibly) Oh yea, I'm going to be Hinamori X3

Any tips that can help freesia will help me ^^

freesia
10-04-2004, 07:22 PM
wow... what a coincidence! I'm cosplaying Hinamori too!! :crylaugh:

hikarilight
10-04-2004, 07:31 PM
wow... what a coincidence! I'm cosplaying Hinamori too!! :crylaugh:

Yay for minor characters~ (Ain't that freakishly weird 0_0)

freesia
10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Yay for minor characters~ (Ain't that freakishly weird 0_0)

Yeah, it's wierd 0_0 though it means we can help each other struggle through it, heh.

Yay, it begins airing today!

DiRTyBuNNy
10-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Bleach rocks...I want to do an Ichigo (Soul Reaper version) cosplay in the near future...

hikarilight
10-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Yeah, it's wierd 0_0 though it means we can help each other struggle through it, heh.

Yay, it begins airing today!

I know X3 I have the first episode but didn't have the chance to watch it yet :(

But yea, we can help each other out, along with every other person making the shinigami outfit since they are all the same XD

DJCelicaStyle
10-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I've done Orihime, and that little girl, Ururu (Volume 2). No-one knew who I was,though. :(

freesia
10-08-2004, 09:20 PM
I know X3 I have the first episode but didn't have the chance to watch it yet :(

But yea, we can help each other out, along with every other person making the shinigami outfit since they are all the same XD

rofl, so true!

DiRTyBuNNy
10-09-2004, 10:52 PM
well...we can always be a group of Shinigami's attacking cosplayers and sending them to hell...hehehehe...

obiewolf
10-10-2004, 12:49 PM
teehee. hi freesia.

speaking of bleach shinigami costumes...i've heard controversies over whether the bottom half is similar to a pair of big billowy pants or is it just a long dress like thing? (pants would be a little more ah...convenient for shinigamiing duties i suppose...)

hikarilight
10-10-2004, 02:29 PM
teehee. hi freesia.

speaking of bleach shinigami costumes...i've heard controversies over whether the bottom half is similar to a pair of big billowy pants or is it just a long dress like thing? (pants would be a little more ah...convenient for shinigamiing duties i suppose...)

The bottom is actually pants, not a dress thing, even though it does look like that. The outfit it self is like hakama I believe? For any examples, look at Kenshin, Kikyou and etc. This design is very similar, if not, idenitical to theirs.

skyblackcat
10-10-2004, 02:37 PM
The outfit is not called an hakama...the pants are called hakama. the top...well, it is or is close to a keikogi (kendokas just call 'em gi) keikogi-like patterns can be found on simplicity...I don't really know about how to make hakamas....

obiewolf
10-10-2004, 03:18 PM
wow thanks o_o i feel about 100x more educated. now, i can go around saying i have to make a hakama and keikogi for my costume instead of babbling about a 'long robey japanesey dress pant thinger.' originally i was going to dumbly make some once piece thing with a tie in the middle but i now know that is not the way to go.

hmm *sifts through hakama patterns* omg that's a lot of pleats. D:

skyblackcat
10-10-2004, 03:22 PM
7 pleats to be exact ^_^

obiewolf
10-10-2004, 03:24 PM
whew. x_x do you have any good pattern suggestions?

skyblackcat
10-10-2004, 03:26 PM
no....sorry, I bought mine....

hikarilight
10-10-2004, 03:28 PM
The outfit is not called an hakama...the pants are called hakama. the top...well, it is or is close to a keikogi (kendokas just call 'em gi) keikogi-like patterns can be found on simplicity...I don't really know about how to make hakamas....

I knew that I had to be off ^^;; I'm not educated in what you call certain Japanese pieces of clothing... At least I called the pants the right thing ><;;

skyblackcat
10-10-2004, 03:37 PM
obiewolf-
i found this:
http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japmakemenshakama.htm

it looks kind of confusing and it's only got 6 pleats (no one's gonna count anyway), but it'll work

obiewolf
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
ooh aah! thanks! i've gathered a few other patterns (the one you gave was the least confusing by far) and i'll see what i can do....

about the keikogi, does it tuck into the hakama? from my deduction, it looks pretty long so it can tuck in and also bulge out a little before the sashy thing.

freesia
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Here's something that confuses me... if you take the time to sift through the manga for a back view of a shinigami, notice the sash-is it being threaded through the hakama?

skyblackcat
10-10-2004, 03:51 PM
yup, the keikogi tucks, in fact, you put the gi on first, then the hakama.

i have no idea about sashes....a pic might help me....

DiRTyBuNNy
10-10-2004, 09:28 PM
as far as footwear..to me it looks like tabi socks and zori sandals or am I wrong?

DiRTyBuNNy
10-11-2004, 04:28 PM
btw, I hate to sound stupid...but I'm not too up on the traditional clothing...but the shinigami outfit consists of keikogi and hakama and ...?

skyblackcat
10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
You're probably right about the tabi and zori...

Here's something that confuses me... if you take the time to sift through the manga for a back view of a shinigami, notice the sash-is it being threaded through the hakama?

I've been thinking about the sash question and I think I know what you're asking...

The shinigami have a white belt-looking thing around their waists. That is really the strings that tie the hakama. On a hakama are stings in the front and back, you tie the front ones first, then the back ones, resulting in the 'theaded though' effect.

The strings on the traditional hakamas are really long,and you have to wrap the front ones around twice and tie it in the back (the cheaper ones are only long enough to go around once) then you pull the back strings and tie it in the front. That makes it look like a wide belt....

Sorry if it's kinda confusing ^^...I tried not to get into too much detail incase that wasn't what you were asking about....

obiewolf
10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
ahh i see i see. but the hakama i'm seeing at online kendo stores only have black waist ties... hmm i guess adjustments would have to be made if we weren't going to make our own.

for the shinigami, it seems like they have a white under-keikogi thing. is that just another thing identical to the black keikogi only white? i'll probably just end up attaching a white collar and forgetting about an underlayer but o well.

skyblackcat
10-12-2004, 02:36 PM
yeah, the different color confused me too.

I just watched Bleach ep.1 and if you want to be really accurate, there's a triangle shaped hole under the arm in the black gi showing more of the white gi. Also, I relized the sandals aren't really zori sandals....

DiRTyBuNNy
10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
yeah..I started looking back and they look similar to Zori but the they have straps that criss-cross the ankle..(I'll probably get Zori's anyways)

as for the undergarment..for those that know...is that just a white gi underneath? and has anyone had any luck finding a black keikogi...I can find lots of blue (royal and navy) and white but no black..

btw, isn't the anime on tonight (#1 was on last tuesday at 18:30)?..

skyblackcat
10-12-2004, 06:01 PM
dunno about the anime....but there should be black gis somewhere (check for Iaido, they wear black). I don't suggest buying a white gi from the marial artists....they're really thick, I can't image wearing two!

KaineMaxwell
10-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Thinking of doing ichi's grey school uniform sometime myself.

MizuSenjutsu
10-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi I was wondering where I could find a pattern for the keikogi. I plan on going as Renji for AX05. I already have a pattern thanks to skyblackcat's earlier post :). Also I was wondering if anyone had a clue about what Renji has on his shoulders right here: http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/mizukage/Renji.gif
As well, does anyone know if Renji has tattoos along his neck? or am I seeing things? If he has tattoos, anyone got a design :)?

skyblackcat
10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
:feels useful ^_^:

Simplicity design #5343 is a very good pattern. Very accurate. Made one myself...

And you link dosen't seem to work, add the picture as an attachment.

obiewolf
10-27-2004, 06:19 PM
As well, does anyone know if Renji has tattoos along his neck? or am I seeing things? If he has tattoos, anyone got a design :)?

Renji has tattoos down his neck, arms, and chest. Er, here are some pictures I was able to dig up.

A good look at the ones on this neck:
http://www.colorwalk.net/bleach/

and all this sexy tattoos:
http://www.colorwalk.net/bleach/img/ch96_01.png

hope that helps.

MizuSenjutsu
10-27-2004, 09:17 PM
Ugh... stupid angelfire... ~_~; There posted as an attachment :). Those tattoos look really cool obiewolf. thanks for posting. But I wont be putting on any body tattoos. No Muscle for it -_-;;. But along the neck would be a cool. Anyone have any suggestions for what kind of marker I should use to create the marks, that wont get smudged and can be removed by soap and water? dont want it to get ruined after all :). Thanks in advance.

Ugh Nearly forgot. simplicity design #5343? is that a pattern? skyblackcat, do you think you can show me a link to image of it please? thanks :). Though i was hoping there can be one found online, but it seems i might have to buy it =/.

skyblackcat
10-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Maybe eyeliner......

well applied henna would look best, but it'd last for a good week ^_^

KaineMaxwell
10-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Any suggestions for the school outfit?

Midnight-Nin
10-30-2004, 02:30 AM
=____=a
Aah the patterns are so confusing...
Im also going to cosplay as Renji myself but 4 things Im having troubles with...

1) The Shinagami Outfit
2) His sword (I like to make one but...)
3) The patterns of the outfits which I find rather confusing
4) ...it'll come to me

So yeah, Im trying to understand what each of the parts of the clothings are called but I dunt really know so I hope that someone can enlighten and just point out what's a "keikogi" or a "gi" (read it somewhere...).

Please enlighten me n_n

piroko
10-30-2004, 07:23 AM
I just finished my Byakuya (Rukia's aniki) costume for Halloween.
White bottom and black cover kimono top (but I got gi) and black hakama bottom. Tie the hakama regularly, and then white fabric to tie around the hakama in addition.
The shoes they wear are called waraji, though I wore my zori because waraji are very hard to come by outside of Japan.

skyblackcat
10-30-2004, 07:36 AM
Piroko, did you bought all your pieces? oo

Kimono tops are called keikogi, but the kendoka shorten it to just gi.

Kaine, sorry it took me so long to reply >_<.....

The school uniform looks rather simple, some suggestions I'd make is to make fake seams to make it look like it was muliple pieces. You could take that opportunity to dart the bottom half to make it a little more tailored. Ditto with the pants, execpt don't dart. Interface the collar! I love stiff collars (and interfaceing for that matter...), it gives the costume a more impossible-anime-clothing look.

obiewolf
10-30-2004, 05:27 PM
wow, piroko, that looks really good.

henna, when applied is black but doesnt it end up looking kind of dark orange-ish? eyeliner probably works well. last year, i used watercolor pencil to draw whiskers, that worked really nicely too.

waste0fcarb0n
10-30-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm considering getting an Ichigo costume commissioned... (Ichigo is my HERO!)

What would be more recognizable, his Soul Reaper costume, or his grey school uniform?

topleka
10-31-2004, 12:28 AM
I would recignize him easily in either, provided that you have his sword when in the Soul Reaper outfit. That would be cooler too. XD

Oh yeah, I did a Rukia cosplay for Halloween. It's not that great, though. ^_^;;
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=225994
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=225993

arella
11-01-2004, 12:14 AM
Hello! I'm new here. Nice to meet you all ^_^

I started watching Bleach not long ago, and it's a really fun series. I never actually cosplayed before, but I'm considering doing the shinigami Rukia.

Just by looking at the 1st episode, it seemed to me that you could just buy most of the Rukia cosplay at a kyudo (Japanese archery) shop. I actually have hakama, but I have the girl's version, and dang it, Rukia wears the male version (with the little stiff board at the back). Anyone just consider buying it? Would people care if I used the girl version of the hakama (to save $)? :D

skyblackcat
11-01-2004, 08:01 AM
I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference unless they were really looking. And I believe only people who are well verse in Japanese clothing (or just reseaching hakamas for a cosplay) and people who practice Japanese martial arts know of the male/female versions of hakamas (I wear the male version for kendo, but it's the wrong color for shinigami >_<)

arella
11-01-2004, 08:11 AM
you would be surprised at the japanese cosplayers... I would be harpooned :(

I don't feel real secure doing it with my height and weight either >.< ah well... back to drawing boards...

skyblackcat
11-01-2004, 09:03 AM
whoa! sorry, didn't know you were in Japan ^_^!

arella
11-01-2004, 09:02 PM
argh... i'm still here... still looking at black kimonos on sale at yahoo jp!!! $50 for a black one, I'm seriously considering it >.<

So does Rukia's keikogi have half sleeves like this one?
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f18819601

As far as I can tell, Ichigo's just has huge sleeves, i can't remember what Rukia's looked like... anyone?

skyblackcat
11-02-2004, 01:30 PM
from what i can tell, Ichigo's and Rukia's sleeves are the same....but i didn't consider them to be that big....

As I'm not registered to yahoo jp...I couldn't see the pic, but from watching the anime I'd estimate the sleeves went slightly below their elbows, is that half-sleeve? I always thought it was normal....

arella
11-04-2004, 06:54 PM
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/bleach/ <---- don't need japanese, and you can see really good top half reference pics...

Well, my friend's gonna help me put together the kimono, who cares if the hakama is just a bit wrong in the back... most people wouldn't know anyways... so I've got everything but the sword, but now that the anime's out, I know its a red handle and gotta hunt one down now... I'm just gonna be a freakishly tall/old Rukia.

All ready for Comic Live in Nagoya Nov. 21st!!! :D

skyblackcat
11-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Yay! Take lots of pictures! ^_^

arella
11-04-2004, 10:30 PM
I didn't realize how hard it was to find a red handled katana here >.> Dang market... might have to settle for a black one...

KaineMaxwell
11-05-2004, 08:48 AM
Always paint the handle if you have to...

arella
11-05-2004, 05:42 PM
er... they do the handles by wrapping them with a shoelace type ribbon... can't paint those, but I could try to wreck the whole thing by rewrapping it in a red one... or pay about 80 for one with a right handle :)

KaineMaxwell
11-05-2004, 06:08 PM
...or just use red ribbon used for Christmas gifts!

janmurphy
11-07-2004, 08:56 AM
Due to her ^^^^^ (arella) obbsesion with this anime I now am starting to have alot of resources for Bleach. Like the image on the glove she uses to puch Ichigo out of his body.
I already have patterns for hakama, kimono and happi coats up on the site for those of you who didnt know.
And I guess, coming soon will be Bleach resources. If I dont die from all this sewing.

Or if arella doesnt try to give me a "soul burial" with her shiney new sword.....

PS If your looking for the stuff mentioned click the banner below. And if anyone has ideas on what would make good iron on images or the such for the resource page, just say.

hikarilight
11-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Due to her ^^^^^ (arella) obbsesion with this anime I now am starting to have alot of resources for Bleach. Like the image on the glove she uses to puch Ichigo out of his body.
I already have patterns for hakama, kimono and happi coats up on the site for those of you who didnt know.
And I guess, coming soon will be Bleach resources. If I dont die from all this sewing.

Or if arella doesnt try to give me a "soul burial" with her shiney new sword.....

PS If your looking for the stuff mentioned click the banner below. And if anyone has ideas on what would make good iron on images or the such for the resource page, just say.

Wee~ PATTERNS = FRIEND :D

Wait... I don't see a banner ><;;

skyblackcat
11-07-2004, 12:29 PM
wow, those are nice patterns ^_^

PanDo
11-07-2004, 01:12 PM
hahaah just wanted to say HI!

mm I'm actually doing a bleach cosplay too! :jjacks:

Kaname
11-07-2004, 03:19 PM
Read through everything here...seems like most people are doing the shinigami outfits. :3

I really love Urahara, so I wanna cosplay him, but I'm not a traditional Japanese clothing expert, so I have no idea what his clothes are called. I was told it was simply a gi and a happi, but if that's what the shinigami's wear, then that can't be right! XD I have no sewing skill, so I was planning on buying everything, although it'd be nice if I knew the names of what to get first, haha.

You've all prolly seen this, but colorwalk has some nice reference pictures of his outfit: http://www.colorwalk.net/bleach/urahara.html

I wanna go as him for next year's AX. :3 Any help would be appreciated!

skyblackcat
11-07-2004, 04:14 PM
he is wearing a happi. it's the over coat. ^_^

Kaname
11-07-2004, 04:50 PM
he is wearing a happi. it's the over coat. ^_^

Thanks! :heart: What about what he wears underneath? :3

skyblackcat
11-07-2004, 04:57 PM
I believe that's a gi, but it looks like a lighter material than some martial arts gi...just to warn you....

doragon
11-07-2004, 07:18 PM
oh nice! a Bleach cosplay thread with lots of helpful patterns and.. helpful stuff! *bounces excited*

I plan on making Yachiru one of these days, since she's adorable beyond all reason and plan on making a Ken-chan plushi to go along with the costume. ^_^;

arella
11-07-2004, 08:30 PM
http://impression0907.hp.infoseek.co.jp/impression0907hp_081.htm <---- Urahara happi
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/raccoon/sugio/bleach0717.htm <-----pictures of Urahara cosplayer can be found here~

*waiting for shiny new red handled sword to come in mail*
*rubs hands with gee*

Kaname
11-08-2004, 06:41 AM
http://impression0907.hp.infoseek.co.jp/impression0907hp_081.htm <---- Urahara happi
http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/people/raccoon/sugio/bleach0717.htm <-----pictures of Urahara cosplayer can be found here~

*waiting for shiny new red handled sword to come in mail*
*rubs hands with gee*

Haha, whoa! The Renji and Byakuya cosplayers were really awesome! The Urahara was kinda lacking though. ;^; Is his fan really green though? I always thought it was just plain white. The Urahara costume link was cool, but why is the front all weird? XD

I totally want a red umbrella now though.

janmurphy
11-08-2004, 08:39 AM
[url]*waiting for shiny new red handled sword to come in mail*
*rubs hands with gee*
*runs away* NOT screaming, but with ninja-like stealth. Please sword... never come!

Thoese cosplayers are great arent they. I guess its easier to get hakama and stuff in the right colors in Japan.

skyblackcat
11-08-2004, 09:10 AM
From all I've seen most of the english sites or ebay sellers just sell the Japanese clothing that look very...Japanese...aka black/navy, white, or oriental patterns.

I don't really look though many Japanese sites though, since my browser dosen't seem to like IME very much, and my knowledge of kanji is that of a second grader's >.< Anyway, shipping and handling from Japan to east coast USA is preatty expensive...

janmurphy
11-08-2004, 09:23 AM
I meant Japanese shops though, like going down the street to the Kyudo supply store. Ok, maybe further than down the street if you way out in the hicks, but you get what I mean. And straight from a store means no shipping fee at all. But then, Im from Canada, and theres not so many stores for this stuff outside a large city. And large citys are a bit further away from one another.

arella
11-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Haha, whoa! The Renji and Byakuya cosplayers were really awesome! The Urahara was kinda lacking though. ;^; Is his fan really green though? I always thought it was just plain white. The Urahara costume link was cool, but why is the front all weird? XD

I totally want a red umbrella now though.

Byakuya looks kinda... feminine... but then again, he does look sorta like that in the manga...

These people made their costumes based on the manga, cuz these pictures were dated late spring/summer. Anime just came out. Manga, at most, has shades of gray or perhaps the cover art. They use their imaginations, I suppose. There is a pic of Urahara's real colors on the preview for ep. 6(?) of the anime, I think.

Can't WAIT til the Kon looking for a new home episode to be animated!!! They better do it!!!! :sulk:

janmurphy
11-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Ohh theyll probably make it a 3 episode long filler hun! Theyre going to fast for their own good already, theyll need fillers soon.

arella
11-09-2004, 04:37 PM
There's over 16 volumes of the manga. No way they're going too fast. Especially with the whole soul society thing still yet to be coming up.

I didn't know there was so many shinigami... :sweatdrop:

*cuddles her shiny new sword a bit more before going off to work*
It came in the mail yesterday~ =3
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m6451285

janmurphy
11-09-2004, 04:52 PM
dude, theres 24 of Naruto right now, and they still put in like 5 episode fillers.

ToDAY I wilk be making a Rukia! Only the two kimono tops, not the pants. Wish me lucK!!

arella
11-09-2004, 06:41 PM
*cheers in the background with flags and confetti*

I need a long white belt-like cloth too~ :heh:

Eleryth
11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
A keikogi is a practice top for martial arts. It's kimono-like, but not a "kimono". I don't know how long they go, though, as I don't own one.

As for a happi, it has sewn armpits and is usually worn for festivals. A haori does not. (I just double checked this with a teacher who also studies kimono kitsuke).

Based on those pictures from the tv Tokyo page, for a shinigami, I'd make a juban (white under-kimono) and a black kimono. The hakama have slits in the pants that go fairly far down, and there's black all the way. From the site, I can't tell if it's pants type or skirt type. You'd need a top at least to your knees to get the right effect. With women's hakama, the kimono is usually folded a bit higher than usual to get it above the crotch seam. Other people have mentioned a special kimono piece called "hakama-shita", with a slit up the back, so you can ride horses and the like with it.

Is there any way the white could be an extra tie/belt/obi? It's very unusual to have the tie a different color than the body of the pants (same with kimono collars being a different color - but it happens all the time in anime).

I just bought some kimono kitsuke books yesterday while killing time in a bookstore. It has instructions for men's hakama; I'll scan them as soon as I get a chance. I also have more links to other sites that have kimono/hakama patterns.

As for hakama pleats, I believe the traditional martial arts number is 7. However, according to www.sengokudaimyo.com (mens garb, hakama), the number varied depending on the width/size of the pants, and how many panels you were using. A panel is a width of fabric about 27-30 cm wide. That's the traditional width for a bolt of silk. Japanese clothing doesn't really need patterns, as all things were made based on straight lines and varying widths of this bolt (half-width, folded half, quarter, etc).

Good luck with the project, Jan! And Arella. Perhaps I'll get to meet you one day.

I love sewing kimono-like pieces. They're so easy! I really hate working with patterns, so sewing without one makes me happy.

arella
11-09-2004, 06:50 PM
er... I buy my hakama... I have a women's for my kyudo practice, and I just got myself a men's version...

...and they are pants, all the shinigami wear pant versions, but I think the skirt one would be easier to make.

isn't the white thing just to keep the sword in place? and to look cool of course...

Eleryth
11-09-2004, 07:01 PM
That's what I am assuming about the tie. The contrast is nice, and balances out the white from the juban.

I keep meaning to go to kyudo, but I don't get to do anything for the first hour, so it's kinda boring to try and sit seiza for that long. >.< Might check out something else in town.

I'm assuming you're near Jan in Gifu...lucky! I'm up in Aomori, too far away from any cosplay festivals. :(

arella
11-09-2004, 07:25 PM
I just passed my sho-dan (first dan) test in kyudo about a few weeks ago. XD Been doing it for over 2 years...

Yeah, I'm about an hr away from her... not a bad place to live and she's making the shinigami kimono for me~ :D For the Nagoya Comic Live...

skyblackcat
11-09-2004, 07:28 PM
XP Do kendo. I'd try kyudo, if it existed in my area.....

Thanks for the haori and happi lesson (from the other thread) ^_^

Chris F
11-09-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm becoming a bit confused about hakama. I thought there were just two types, divided and undivided, but in this thread, there's also seems to be a distinction made between skirt- and pants- types, as well as between men or womens hakama. Could someone explain please?

arella
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
if you want the shinigami costume, then get the male type... it has a board like thing at the back, which all shinigami, male or female wears.

The hakama for girls has no such thing, which is why I bought another hakama.
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n9857066 <--- no board at back
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m6401795 <--- +board

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f29596667 <---- I want...

Eleryth
11-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Alright, perhaps this will be helpful info... I scanned a kitsuke book for men's hakama and kimono wearing instructions. I also asked my sensei if she knew what a "hakama-shita" (under-hakama) was, and she says she's never heard of it. Kimono all have the same shape - none are slit up the back. So, to wear hakama that have legs (AKA umanori), like for horseback riding, they take the back hem (middle only) and pull it up and tuck it under the obi before tying on the pants. This raises it so it's short enough for the crotch seam, but long enough to fill in the slits on the sides of the hakama.

Note, the images are from a Japanese book that reads Right to Left. They're in the correct order, though.

Reaver
11-11-2004, 11:23 PM
I just made Rukia's school unifrom in 4 hours XD, Ill post images in a few days (ill do a soot this weekend XD)

janmurphy
11-12-2004, 02:46 AM
Aww, It took me FIVE hours to make Ruika's Shinegami Kimonos. Just an hour more, darn, I coulda been a contenda! Hey, is that 4 hours straight? Mine was, I wonder if we were in sewing frenzys at the same time yet so far away! hehe ok enough sillyness, on to the bad pictures of unironed kimonos.

PanDo
11-12-2004, 03:29 AM
OH WOW!!! That's some great work!!!

I wish I could sew...I have no skill in it at all or any knowledge of it. :woah: hahaahah.

Anyway! props! MAJOR PROPS TO YOU! :jjacks:

Eleryth
11-12-2004, 06:17 AM
How did you do that collar there, Jan? I'm curious about getting the white to show like that... did you use the instructions from a cosplay magazine?

janmurphy
11-12-2004, 07:30 AM
Its two kimonos. I made the colar piece on the black one 4.5cm and the colar on the white 5.5cm. I made the sleeves of the white longer than the black as well, so that it would definatly do that, no matter how you wore it. I didnt use instructions or a pattern actually. just measurements of Arella. I DID use an idea from the Dwarf website. http://dwarf.cosnet.to/
Instead of hemming the sleeves, theirs was doubled and folded and sewn at the shoulder, I THINK thats how kyudo kimonos are, not entirly sure.
I really wanted to use the serger on the back seam, but I didnt do it right and I couldnt. Was suposed to do it before I sewed the two panels together. I did the rest though. So happy we have a serger at school, first time Ive used it and its GREAT!

Eleryth
11-12-2004, 07:54 AM
What idea did you use from there? I only see costumes, no sewing tips.

I don't know about kyudo uniforms, either, but it shouldn't be too hard to ask the sensei what the uniforms are like. The usual Japanese bolt of fabric for traditional wear is about 30 cm, so I doubt it somewhat. But hey, I've been wrong before! ;)

But that is a really good idea. I don't like hemming.

KaineMaxwell
11-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Can't wait to see your school uniform pics!

janmurphy
11-12-2004, 09:03 AM
What idea did you use from there? I only see costumes, no sewing tips.

I don't know about kyudo uniforms, either, but it shouldn't be too hard to ask the sensei what the uniforms are like. The usual Japanese bolt of fabric for traditional wear is about 30 cm, so I doubt it somewhat. But hey, I've been wrong before! ;)

But that is a really good idea. I don't like hemming.
They dont have sewing tips, i got the idea from looking at the pictures. Arella does the kyudo thang. Theres also no seams on the shoulders. The cotton bolts at Valour are 45cm, but the cloth is folded, maybe the traditional ones are too. Youd think theyd have to be, since the front of a kimono is long and more than 30cm wide.
The sleeves are very heavy with this method though. Very stiff-like. But I think it goes ok with the stiff hakama.

Midnight-Nin
11-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Su-sugoi!!!

Great Pictures Jan! And thnx for posting up the site, now I got the idea of the whole outfit. *sigh* But I bet I'm going to run into troubles with the hakama T____T....

hikarilight
11-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Wow, it's so pretty *_*

arella
11-13-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah, Jan did an awesome job!
We didn't have time to try it on, so I had to try it on at home and I only got to take a pic of it with my cellphone... it looks a bit washed out and I didn't really do my hair (I need to sleep and don't want rock-hard gel-ed hair for bed) so I just did a half @$$ed job at it, but it looks great! :love:

Eleryth
11-13-2004, 08:51 PM
They dont have sewing tips, i got the idea from looking at the pictures. Arella does the kyudo thang. Theres also no seams on the shoulders. The cotton bolts at Valour are 45cm, but the cloth is folded, maybe the traditional ones are too. Youd think theyd have to be, since the front of a kimono is long and more than 30cm wide.
The sleeves are very heavy with this method though. Very stiff-like. But I think it goes ok with the stiff hakama.

The length is very long - you're right, no shoulder seams. It's folded over there, draping over the front and the back. The front of a costume kimono is one piece, but a real kimono has two pieces. One about 30 cm (maybe a tad bigger, but it's around 30) and another that's a half width (about 15 cm; closer to the collar). They usually don't draw this seam in on anime, though.

You can see it faintly in this picture... running just to the left of the middle (left looking at the photo, it's really on the right). http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=234469

arella
11-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Thanks to jan's l33t sewing skills, I got this now:

What do you think? :thumbsup: (Take it easy on me, its my first time cosplaying... :eeek: )

KaineMaxwell
11-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Looks great to me!!

kawaii_mon
11-15-2004, 07:11 PM
wah that looks really good arella, i'd love to do a rukia cosplay, just add it to my ever growing list :P

janmurphy
11-15-2004, 08:19 PM
The length is very long - you're right, no shoulder seams. It's folded over there, draping over the front and the back. The front of a costume kimono is one piece, but a real kimono has two pieces. One about 30 cm (maybe a tad bigger, but it's around 30) and another that's a half width (about 15 cm; closer to the collar). They usually don't draw this seam in on anime, though.

You can see it faintly in this picture... running just to the left of the middle (left looking at the photo, it's really on the right). http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=234469
OMG that must be HELL to line the pattern up. O_O Ill stick to the costume type thank you.

Midnight-Nin
11-15-2004, 10:36 PM
Can someone help me with the measurements since Im a partial (sp?) n00b at this. I took a look at the site that jan posted up not too long ago and look at the mesurements for the shinagami outfit. I tried translating it the best I could. I do know what some parts means but its the measurements Im not getting. Please help?

So far I see that it looks like this when I translated it (again i did the best I could):
1) hypothesis...... <- this one doesn't seem right...
2) waist
3) hips; buttocks; backside
4) coat, tunic, outer garnment, jacket
5) " " " "
6) the pants (hakama)

S- (1)150cm (2)~90 (3)~90 (4)50cm (5)98.5cm (6) 83cm
M- (1)160cm (2)~90 (3)~90 (4)50cm (5)98.5cm (6) 88cm
L- (1)170cm (2)~110 (3)~110 (4)56cm (5)103.5cm (6)92cm
XL- (1)180cm (2)~110 (3)~110 (4)56cm (5)103.5 (6)98cm

Sorry that it looks unorganized but I tried... I can't use tab on this thing.... So... can someone help me? ^^"

Eleryth
11-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Well, 1 is "approximate height" (in cm) (hypothesis is only the first two kanji).
2 is the waist, which is usually about 8-9 inches above your hips.
3 the measurement around the hips, the widest part of your lower body.
[Kimono are straight, unfitted garments, that's why the waist and hips are the same]
4 The length of the sleeves. I'd guess from shoulder to wrist.
5 I'd guess that this is the length of the black kimono piece.
6 is the length of the hakama; assuming from waist to hem, possibly inseam, not sure. American pants are inseams, but since hakama don't always have inseams (skirt type), I'd guess it's waist. Arella can probably tell us.

Don't know if that helped you at all.

arella
11-16-2004, 12:44 AM
which site are you talking about? It's the end of the work day and the kids have been running over my limp body for a while...

nvm, i guess it got taken care of...
i notice the hakama the shinigami wear are shorter than what they recommend for normal budo sports, you can see the top of the tabi... accordingly I ordered a hakama one size smaller than I'm used to...

Eleryth
11-16-2004, 12:47 AM
OMG that must be HELL to line the pattern up. O_O Ill stick to the costume type thank you.

Not quite double post, yay! Thanks Arella. Also, the pictures I have of men in ceremonial hakama (no, it's not a freaky fetish! ;)), their hakama end just about at the top of their tabi (around the ankle). I can't see the top, but the image is taken from eye level. How long are your sports hakama?

Actually, it's not too bad. The seam itself is used when lining up the patterns on the kimono. As long as that seam is straight and lines up, everything is in place. ^^

arella
11-16-2004, 12:53 AM
just a suggestion tho... I found the white collar moves all over the place if I don't use an under obi. So if any of you are thinking of making the same thing with 2 shirts (and don't want to resort to an obi underneath), consider sewing on a piece of string on the inside left seam of the white shirt at the waist, and one on the right side collar (inside)

and another set on the outside of the white shirt, right side seam, and one on the left side collar at the waist level as well.

if you have those, then they tie the shirt together securely and the collar won't run as wild.

edit: my teachers tell me that the top of my tabi shouldn't be showing, but the hakama shouldn't be dragging the floor, but the shinigami folks has their hakama way above their ankles... another reason I ordered a new hakama... the one I have is too long for this cosplay

Eleryth
11-16-2004, 01:04 AM
You could just handsew your collar to the inside layer of the black collar. I've done that with one of my dateeris to my kimono. It's much easier that way. Just use large stitches (1.5 inches or so). It doesn't ruin the fabric, either. Just make sure to only catch the inside layer of you collar, or else your stitches will show through.

Midnight-Nin
11-16-2004, 01:40 AM
Hmm... I understand a bit more BUT its the measurements itself Im having troubles with. Like the widths and the lengths of each fabric for each part of the outfit. How much fabric should I use in total and such. The way the measurements are laid out is looks screwy to me, if only I can understand japanese =___=...

arella
11-16-2004, 02:04 AM
i don't think you'll be able to get a pattern from that site, it is trying to sell you the whole outfit afterall... I guess you need to have a look at a real kimono to get an idea of how it goes...

Midnight-Nin
11-16-2004, 04:05 AM
o___o oh i see... well, i couldn't understand the site since its japanese XD no wonder I didn't understand it at all ^^''

Thnx for pointing it out though :thumbsup:

Eleryth
11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
There are lots of pattern suggestions in other threads. You can search for them, using the search button (above the page numbers, usually). Just enter "Kimono pattern" or something similar, and it will pull up all the threads with those words. Just make sure it says "search this forum" not "search this thread".

Try here, general costumes, newbies... They're all over the place.

Or google. There's a decent pattern up on Anne Liese's site (if you search her name, her site should come up).

There's also a few commercial patterns, released by simplicty, mccalls, or butterick.
You'd have to search for them. I think one is under costumes, and another more accurate type is under "robes" or something (usually a woman's on the cover).

www.simplicity.com
www.mccall.com (has butterick there too)

janmurphy
11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Its getting closer to that Kon! I mean con.. hehe. Today Im going to make Ichigo's school uniform top. Weve decided its a japanese style one. Even though the girls wear an british style. Yet, its a zipper... what's with this school...

chichiri97
11-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Mmm...I made a Kimono from MCCALL's pattern and I'm still trying to figure out how to put on the darn collar. It doesn't seem to fit normally in any way. o_O; Can someone draw a simple picture or how I'm supposed to fold it/bend it to fit into the kimono?
(this is for another cosplay, but I'll be needing it for Bleach shinigami cosplay as well)

I like all the cosplays you guys did of Shinigami, they are awesome.

Eleryth
11-21-2004, 10:38 PM
When I make my kimono, I don't use a pattern. So, I iron a piece of fabric, about 17 cm wide. I iron first about 1 cm under on each side, for the seam edges (I sew on one later), and then I fold it in half and iron that.

Once I have my ironed collar piece, I line it up with the middle back of the kimono, at the neck. I pin along one of the seam lines. That's the guide for sewing on the machine, and gives a nice edge. I pin around the edges until I run out of collar. I sew that down.

Then, I trim the seams if necessary, usually with pinking shears to reduce the unravelling. Then I fold the collar over, and pin the other seam down on the inside/underside of the kimono. This I handsew down with an invisible stitch. I close the ends using the same stitch.

And that's it. Don't know if that helps you any; I've never messed around with that pattern before.

OkiET-maru
11-21-2004, 10:41 PM
rikkumaru: wow...so many ppl r doing bleach costumes now..XD i want to do rukia's school uniform too!!! i LOVE the zipper!!! eeeee...zipppeerrr!!! XD i did a byakuya costume already too for last year's con and my friend was ichigo

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=192910

u guys inspire me to make that school uniform now.. ^__^

arella
11-22-2004, 03:48 AM
The Nagoya con was great fun, and I got lots of Bleach cosplayer pictures. I was smiling waaaay too much in pictures... kinda wrecked it, but here are some photos:

http://www.pbase.com/arella/clnov04

Midnight-Nin
11-22-2004, 03:59 AM
OMG! The little naruto kid is soo precious!!!! X3 I squealed when I saw him...

Anyways, great pics. Just looking at the shinigami outfits gives me a better idea of the outfit. Im still hoping that i can actually make one though >.<

kawaii_mon
11-22-2004, 04:50 AM
wah so many bleach cosplayers in those photos arella! it looks like bleach is gonna be the cosplay choice of next year.. most likely cause it looks so easy to do.

and the naruto kid is gorgeous! ^_^

Midnight-Nin
11-26-2004, 12:43 AM
Does anyone have any idea about Renji's sword that the white part (or grey...) of the sword is curved to a point, making the blade? Hopefully people understand what Im talking about... I need to know cuz Im making his sword out of wood.

If anyone has any pics showing the segments of the sword (when it separates) or just the sword in some sort of angle showing the edge/blade, please post it please!

Thank you in advance~!

janmurphy
11-26-2004, 12:49 AM
wah so many bleach cosplayers in those photos arella! it looks like bleach is gonna be the cosplay choice of next year.. most likely cause it looks so easy to do.

and the naruto kid is gorgeous! ^_^

Ohh I hope not. Cause looks are deciving there. Especially if done by those infamous ppl who never bother to iron their costumes. Hakama NEED ironing.

I finally have my gallery up, same Con as Arella. Hit the site (www.bakachan.com ) under Cosplay/photos/ 2nd Comic Live
My fave is the little white haired shinegami doing the hook mouth pose. Such a brat!

arella
11-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Who says hakama need ironing? >.> If you buy them in the first place, they're made of an easy to unwrinkle fabric~ :p If you made it from broad-cloth, then.... may the higher powers help you~ XD

Eleryth
11-28-2004, 09:27 AM
I just have to share my extreme dorkiness - having never actually SEEN the opening of Bleach (due to my impatient boyfriend!), seeing Rukia in a girls uniform was quite the shock! I thought it was a boy. I'm still thinking of Rukia as a boy who just happens to dress like a girl, 3 eps later.

It was totally the eyes, and that her voice actress sounds like she's trying to be a boy (like Kenshin's does). She doesn't have very feminine-ly animated eyes (and no boobs! And they don't make fun of her for it either, which is odd). I've only seen 4 eps, so if more happens later, please don't inform me!

Yes, I am an uber-dork. Now I understand why all my female friends who are short with dark hair want to be Rukia. >.<

And yes, I know that had very little to do with cosplay. But I want her uniform! It's so cute! (as are the ones in Mai-Hime... those are great, too! but that's really OT...)

kawaii_mon
11-28-2004, 09:04 PM
(as are the ones in Mai-Hime... those are great, too! but that's really OT...)

(i love mai's work uniform even more! but lets leave that for another forum :P)

i can understand why you thought that eleryth, they've definitely shown her as a tomboy and if you didn't know otherwise you would think that she was a guy if you only saw her in her shinigami outfit...

ansible
12-01-2004, 04:20 PM
mm, not sure if this thread is lost to time yet, but does anyone have a good idea of how to fasten the vice captain badge/plate thing? I went as Ise for AX 04, but what with the wide sleeves, I had a lot of problems holding it in place, cant tie it around the arm or the sleeve just looks dumb and bunches together, can't pin it since the band goes about the arm, so I've been trying to figure out a better way, suggestions anyone?

arella
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
Here's how http://dwarf.cosnet.to/ does it:
http://dwarf.cosnet.to/s/016/fukukan_obi.jpg

And they do really accurate work. If I wasn't so stingy, I'd be buying a Shinigami Academy uniform from them...

Anyone wants a Kon plushie?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5939549613

janmurphy
12-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Hmm , I dont think its the design thats the problem dude.
Its keeping it on. Maybe you should try tying it around your arm losely then pinning it in the front and back (maybe even side and side). Id sugest finding the right spot for it, then taking the costume off to pin it on.
If your gonna always do the same character you COULD glue it or sew it on, but I doubt you wanna do that.

ansible
12-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Yes! I was using a makeshift pinning before (which i definately need to try again), but i'm afraid it'll turn out looking far too loose. Mine looked somewhat like Mayuri(?) (http://www.pbase.com/arella/image/36636506) in the center there.

I constructed the costume top so I wouldn't really mind wrecking the left sleeve with glue cuts or stitches, but the band effect would be kind of thrown off i think? The overall impression i get is that it is wrapped around the upper arm. I might be becoming somewhat obsessive over detail, but perhaps if the sleeve were cut in some way, the first sketch is the actual sleeve, (see attachment) but then it would probably drape all wrong...

Thanks for the suggestions! I keep looking at http://dwarf.cosnet.to...erg. If i could only read Japanese, I'm almost positive they explain how the tie works, but the best i can get out of babelfish is
"Becoming like this, it increases the reverse side. In order for adjutant Akira not to slip, you devised. コス of tenth party assistant commander with コレ perfect v."
"...If the snap is removed, you can remove also the band simply."
and "...tying please stop the band"

Pikacello
12-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Dood! You all are so awesome.. T.T I feel like a great big amateur! <br>
Anyway, I ran into some problems pleating the hakama... I can't seem to find a good way to iron it after pleating it. Any suggestions? They just keep exploding when I put the darn thing on.<br>
You all are awesome! Again!

Eleryth
12-02-2004, 12:09 AM
I don't quite understand the attached image... it should be similar to the middle one, if it's styled on a kimono. The armpits aren't sewn shut, so the part of the sleeve that's nearest your body is open. (That sounds mighty confusing, doesn't it?)

The shoulder seams are usually hanging far off the shoulder, so you could probably tie the band up high, and let it sit down... (goodness, this is hard to explain). Part of the band would be up near your armpit, I guess, and the other part would sit down the sleeve.

As for ironing hakama... I don't know. Sorry! I imagine starting on the innermost layer, then folding the pleats and ironing them one by one. You could also try some spray starch, to keep them stiffer and help hold the ironing. I assume by "explode" you mean the pleats don't lie flat. It might also be your material; some materials don't take pleats very well.

Midnight-Nin
12-02-2004, 01:47 AM
Okay I really feel dumb right now =____="

Can someone explain to me how the hakama works? I know that doesn't really makes sense but what I mean is how does the hakama is like pants? Is it any similar to normal pant's pattern? You know the part of the hakama wear is all crazy and zig-zagy(pardon my vocab) does the part below the crotch is sewn together like pants?

Unless the hakama is actually a skirt o____o"

Please enlighten me! God I bet I don't even make sense..... well, I tried =.=

Pikacello
12-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Midnight-Nin: nooo, dood, I had the same question before I tried this cosplay. Basically, they're HUGE pants. They even have pleats in the middle to allow for more room. They look like a dress normally, but they have a crotch square and a low crotch, which makes them even more roomy.

Elryth: Thanks so much for your input... I used a bottomweight, (which I'm assuming is a poly blend) and it was pretty stiff, so I thought they'd hold the pleats (and yeah, I meant that they kept expanding instead of falling straight). I wonder if one is supposed to take in the pleats so they fall properly? I thought they would be okay straight, considering that they are in front of the body as opposed to around the hips... but I might be terribly and utterly wrong! Thank you again.

Eleryth
12-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Unless the hakama is actually a skirt o____o"

Sometimes it is! ^^ For formal occasions, the hakama might be the skirt type (called andon, I think). Think tea ceremony and weddings and the like (those ones that are black and white striped). Also, women's hakama are usually the skirt type as well.

The other type with legs are for riding horses (hence the name umanori). The crotch is not where the crotch sits on Western style pants (not even close!). It's usually quite low, perhaps around the knees (or lower). Sometimes the crotch wasn't even sewn shut, to make going to the bathroom easier (remember, they had kimono underneath! It's not easy going to the bathroom in those).

ansible
12-02-2004, 03:37 AM
I don't quite understand the attached image... it should be similar to the middle one, if it's styled on a kimono. The armpits aren't sewn shut, so the part of the sleeve that's nearest your body is open. (That sounds mighty confusing, doesn't it?)

The shoulder seams are usually hanging far off the shoulder, so you could probably tie the band up high, and let it sit down... (goodness, this is hard to explain). Part of the band would be up near your armpit, I guess, and the other part would sit down the sleeve.

As for ironing hakama... I don't know. Sorry! I imagine starting on the innermost layer, then folding the pleats and ironing them one by one. You could also try some spray starch, to keep them stiffer and help hold the ironing. I assume by "explode" you mean the pleats don't lie flat. It might also be your material; some materials don't take pleats very well.

I cant quite remember which pattern i was styling it after (haori i think?), but it turned out more like the far left one, so there isn't a gap between the sleeve and the armpit. I'm afraid that if i do alter it so that it looks more like the middle one, the sleeve wont billow/drape. As it is, its a stiff wide sleeve that gapes open. This really is hard to explain ^^; Um... well basically i'm afraid that if i alter it, both sides of the sleeve will attract each other and it will limply hang straight down and close up at the opening/cuff part...

Will they? I seem to remember the elaborate kimono (of the heavy embroidery stuff) sleeves dont, but I cant seem to get my mind past this image of these single flap looking sleeves flapping in the wind...

Midnight-Nin
12-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Pikacello+Eleryth> Thank you for telling me more about hakama. Cuz right now Im still trying to figure out the hakama patterns for the shinigami outfit >__< [so hard!!!] About the crotch area being around the knee area, I guess its the same for the shinigami's hakama, rite o_o?

Once I know more how the hakama is sewn between the legs and all, I can understand more about the hakama's patterns and sewing it together >.< Damn I need serious help in this... Luckly I have at least about 9 more months before the con :P

wannabehokage
12-03-2004, 04:30 AM
ahhh...the joy of makeing ones own hakama. Oversized oragami project then actual sewing. I too have run into the problem of my pleats kinda comeing out after a few wearings too, then haveing to iron and starching them back in. As for ironing them in...I lay my hakama on the floor, then re-align all the pleats...front and back...mostly the front is your biggest priority since they are seen more then the back pleats. Then iron and starch them again after you have them set back into how they are supposed to sit when laid out flat. (iron on the floor..carpet prefreble) I hope this helps. I am sure this is not the actual way your supposed to do it but...hey use what works right? good luck! Yay more bleach cosplay!

isami
12-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Roar. Not much to say, I'll be joining the bleach crew for the summer 2005 season. XD
I'll be doing Rukia and/or Yoruichi (the cat lady, human-form of course XD)
The only thing is I don't know the color of her top since she hasn't been animated yet. I've seen it orange from the manga translations, however I'm not sure if that was just a fanCG or official coloring. X__x
I'll have to wait til she gets put into the story. XD

janmurphy
12-22-2004, 04:58 AM
Jan's Jump Festa 2005 report on Bleach....
DANCING RENJI!
There was a friggin Bleach recreation on the Bandai stage, were talking pro actors dressed as the Bleach crew, Ruika was the right blurdy height even! And synchronized dancing at the end, and Renji and Byakura joined. Daning Renji, I can die happy now.
I also highly recommend the Bleach PSP game, its really good. And the screen on the psp is to die for. Its better looking than my tv at home.
Will have galleries up later, I still need to get pics from Arella, shes got all the ones of the Bleach set where they had almost life sized replicas of Ichigos house, school and the shop. It was very cool.

isami
12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh man, i've heard so much about jump festa. I can't wait to see your pictures!

Midnight-Nin
12-22-2004, 10:48 PM
DANCING RENJI?!?!?! O[]o...

You DO have pictures of that do you? GIMME!!! *glomps*

arella
01-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Pictures are here:
http://www.pbase.com/arella/jfesta05

Sorry, but NO dancing Renji... Some stupid staff member noticed me taking pictures and made me put my camera away~ ;_;

And Chad dancing was quite cool too~ XD

Midnight-Nin
01-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Nuuuuuuu.... Renji!!!! I wanna glomp that cosplayer and I wanna steal that cardboard figure o__o I curse that staff person!!! I wanna see Renji Dance! And I bet everybody does!

Anyways, awesome pics!!!!!!! I envy you people who lives in Japan. Japan is where all awesome cosplayers are!!!! *sigh* And the best conventions... But meh, I'm happy where I live (for now) and stuff... Oneday, I'll visit every anime con in the WORLD!!!!! Hm... I wonder that should be some sort of goal...

o.o...

arella
01-04-2005, 07:26 PM
There'll be a Bleach only doujinshi/cosplay event in Nagoya in April. Wanna come? :D

yukitoLeonheart
01-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Is anyone going to make Ichigo's new new sword and outfit. I don't mean Zangetsu (the one seen on the art related calenders) I mean the one that just was shown a few chapters ago. I like it a lot because of the black blade and symbol of life (reverse nazi oriented symbol I shall not say). Don't look if you don't want minor spoilers, but I really like this sword. I do think it is cheesey how he already is stronger then the strongest of the captains and now has this legendary power only Shinigami's of top houses every few generations get. I still like it, though. I would so comission the sword.

yukitoLeonheart
01-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Also, has anyone seen decent Chad cosplayers with the right arm of the giant or any of Orehime and the 6 Ninjas like Tsubaki.

Midnight-Nin
01-04-2005, 09:52 PM
There'll be a Bleach only doujinshi/cosplay event in Nagoya in April. Wanna come? :D

O.O DO I?! Take me with you~!!!!!!!! XD

*Sigh* If only I lived in Japan ;__; and I was rich.... wait, if only I was rich... I can go to the cons in Japan!! Yosh!!!! But dammit I have to face reality... Ne ne, take some pictures will ya pleeaaaaaase!

So I can look at them and make me go: "OMG! THAT MUST BE THE HOTTEST COSPLAYER I EVER SEEN!!!" :heart:3:heart:

*cough* I mean << >>...

yukitoLeonheat- I've seen a Chad cosplayer with the arm but not in reality. Only pictures.

arella
01-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Also, has anyone seen decent Chad cosplayers with the right arm of the giant or any of Orehime and the 6 Ninjas like Tsubaki.

Yeah, actually, I have. Really really hot Chad
It's a Japanese cosplayer tho.
The last picture at the end of this page:
http://popup5.tok2.com/home/ombrage/04/0711/01.html

yukitoLeonheart
01-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Dude, that Chad has amazing hair and ridiculously cool pants.

isami
01-05-2005, 06:28 PM
lol, agreed.
Hey, Yukito, are you going to do a bleach costume?

yukitoLeonheart
01-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Oh yea, I mean I am going to commission it from a friend as I have no talent. I would love to do Chad and or Orehime. They are simple and cute. I would love to do Tsubaki and have like 5 other people do the 6 members of the Hibiscus and have an Orehime costumer. I doubt that would happen. I would love to do Chad, though. He makes me laugh. When he saw kon and started like sprinting after him because he likes cute things, too I was like that is amazing. Chizuru is amazing, too. THe way she said "I get an erection whenever Orehime says come over here" makes me laugh. I love her lesbian antics.

THe new Ichigo costume is really cool and i Like how the blade is black.

isami
01-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Yeah, the hakama was a pain in the ass to do. not so much hard as it is tedius. So i understand wanting to commission it. XD

i'm doing general shikigami gear, not 100% sure as WHO i want to be yet. I'm thinking either Momo (the girl with the bun) or Rukia. : /

That'd be fun, we should take pictures, of course! *hugs*

arella
01-06-2005, 01:19 AM
I understand that you can buy hakama from a kendo depo in the US for about $50. I've heard that the folds are really hard to do.

isami
01-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the folds are the worst part. It's important to get a fabric that holds them, too. I think the stuff I got may be a little to heavy. They're already in need of re-ironing. -_-;; oiiii

Remind me to post pictures later.

hikarilight
01-06-2005, 06:45 PM
I randomly decided, along with my Shinigami outfit for Hinamori, that I'll also do Rukia's school uniform probably for the summer XD Shocking, considering I'm mostly a crossplayer (preferring boys) but I can pull Rukia off with my own hair, after I make it shorter ^^ I just find the female school uniform prettier than the boys *_*

DiRTyBuNNy
01-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Can someone please explain to me what Ichigo's Shinigami outfit is comprised of? (and is someone out there willing to accept a commission for one?)

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-10-2005, 11:16 PM
I'm trying to find the time to work on Ishida's costume (episode... 12 I think.. or at the end of Volume 4 of the manga). It looks really cool and it would be nice to get it done. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by CNA05... If not I'll try to have it done for CNA06... I might end up putting something together like... A simple Shido (GetBackers) costume or something for CNA... I really want to do this Ishida cosplay though... >.< So much work...

arella
01-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Can someone please explain to me what Ichigo's Shinigami outfit is comprised of? (and is someone out there willing to accept a commission for one?)

A shinigami outfit is a kimono top and a hakama, basically. With a wide belt to go over the shoulder for the large sword. Hakama you can buy online for about $50, if you just commission someone to do the kimono top (with some white trimmings underneath) it'll be cheaper. You'll also need a long piece of any white material for a belt. It's rather simple.

For reference, lookie this: http://www.pbase.com/arella/image/36637425

unlock
01-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Me and my friends actually did a simple Bleach masquerade skit last year at Animagic. Nobody knew what Bleach was back then. X3

Our outfits are here tho~ I was the Ishida. :3
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=220284

The more Bleach cosplayers the better! <3

hikarilight
01-11-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm trying to find the time to work on Ishida's costume (episode... 12 I think.. or at the end of Volume 4 of the manga). It looks really cool and it would be nice to get it done. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by CNA05... If not I'll try to have it done for CNA06... I might end up putting something together like... A simple Shido (GetBackers) costume or something for CNA... I really want to do this Ishida cosplay though... >.< So much work...

Do Ishida with my Rukia for CN 2005~ I don't remember what Ishida appears with, the school uniform? If that's it, it's pretty simple to make ^^ We can have a mini cosplay group, with just the two of now but it will be bigger later :D

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Do Ishida with my Rukia for CN 2005~ I don't remember what Ishida appears with, the school uniform? If that's it, it's pretty simple to make ^^ We can have a mini cosplay group, with just the two of now but it will be bigger later :D

No... Not the school uniform... I don't know what it's called so I'll just call it his "Quincy" outfit.. <_<... But CNA05...? TT.TT I was planning to cosplay as Ayumu at that con... Eh... Ayumu won't really get recognized anyways... I'll do Shido for another con... I'll go all out on my Ishida costume for the Bleach cosplay then ^^

hikarilight
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Me and my friends actually did a simple Bleach masquerade skit last year at Animagic. Nobody knew what Bleach was back then. X3

You guys are just amazing *_*

hikarilight
01-11-2005, 05:45 PM
No... Not the school uniform... I don't know what it's called so I'll just call it his "Quincy" outfit.. <_<... But CNA05...? TT.TT I was planning to cosplay as Ayumu at that con... Eh... Ayumu won't really get recognized anyways... I'll do Shido for another con... I'll go all out on my Ishida costume for the Bleach cosplay then ^^

Quincy outfit? At the end of volume 4, the outfit he has is the summer uniform and the huge bow, I believe? *getting confused* He doesn't really get a 'Quincy' outfit until the most recent chapters. Show me a picture on MSN or something or the next event?

You can still wear Ayumu~ I would love to see more Spiral cosplayers~ *waves badly drawn Ayumu bookmark ><;;*

Wee~ I have an Ishida :D

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Quincy outfit? At the end of volume 4, the outfit he has is the summer uniform and the huge bow, I believe? *getting confused* He doesn't really get a 'Quincy' outfit until the most recent chapters. Show me a picture on MSN or something or the next event?

You can still wear Ayumu~ I would love to see more Spiral cosplayers~ *waves badly drawn Ayumu bookmark ><;;*

Wee~ I have an Ishida :D

o.O;;.. At the very end of Volume 4, when he has the huge bow, he's wearing like a very.. long white jacket and white pants with a design on the back.

hikarilight
01-11-2005, 06:06 PM
o.O;;.. At the very end of Volume 4, when he has the huge bow, he's wearing like a very.. long white jacket and white pants with a design on the back.

I really 0_0 *has bad memory* I'm re-reading all the Bleach volumes since I'm searching for reference pics for Rukia and is on this volume, so I'll check that before I talk anymore... ^^;;

yukitoLeonheart
01-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Actually, Ishidaa has like 3 outfits, one he has is t he one with the shoulder guard and the hand brace when he goes into soul society.

unlock
01-11-2005, 11:00 PM
You guys are just amazing *_*

Sankyuu~! :heart:

Nobody knew who the hell we were. XD;; But we had fun taking pics all the same. :3

But hopefully now that the anime is out and a whole bunch of people are talking about cosplaying it we can plan huge gatherings! :heart: Then take crack pics! >3

unlock
01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
Actually, Ishidaa has like 3 outfits, one he has is t he one with the shoulder guard and the hand brace when he goes into soul society.

That's the version with the big energy wing right? :3

And you can't forget the Shinigami outfit he and Orihime stole. X3 Should we count that as one of his? :D?

KaineMaxwell
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Awsome costumes!

HybridTwist
01-11-2005, 11:43 PM

If I was still there for the masquerade, I would have known it was bleah, lol.

Midnight-Nin
01-12-2005, 01:00 AM
I bet many or some of you know this site http://dwarf.cosnet.to/ and I'm asking for a friend of mine.

Do they take international orders?

yukitoLeonheart
01-12-2005, 01:09 AM
That is right, they beat those guys up and claimed they were from the one division and then that guy fought Ishida and he took off the wrist guard and all the energy came down and he was like you experimented on my Grandpa, I destroy you.

I still can't believe they voiced Sasuke as him, it is so fitting. The gorgeous rival with black hair that goes down in the front long. If you look at their similarities the voice fits so well. Also the past and wanting to get vengence for his family killed.

hikarilight
01-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Sankyuu~! :heart:

Nobody knew who the hell we were. XD;; But we had fun taking pics all the same. :3

But hopefully now that the anime is out and a whole bunch of people are talking about cosplaying it we can plan huge gatherings! :heart: Then take crack pics! >3

If I was there, I would be screaming my lungs off or something XD *waves Bleach manga flag*

Angelica
01-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Hey i'm new here as of today and I plan on making Rukia's Shinigami and school Uniform the last costume I made with my aunt the fabric was kind of off and far to light can some one help me with what types of fabric I should use for each outfit?

janmurphy
01-15-2005, 05:43 AM
The Kon is coming!
Has anyone else done a Kon cosplay? Tell me you have. I am having issues with the head. If I make it the way it will look best it will be hell to transport, but if I make it collapsable it might look funny. *sigh*
On a plus note I have the designs for the rest of the costume done. I still can't believe Im doing this, WHY an I doing this? No one will be able to see my face and I WANT to do it, but still its kinda embarassing, I dont know why...

Giant Alucard
01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
I will definitly be going as Chad with the arm of the Giant by otakon.

hikarilight
01-15-2005, 11:14 PM
I will definitly be going as Chad with the arm of the Giant by otakon.

I want to see pics after you wear Chad, he's majorly cool with that arm of his :3

Mesoian
01-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Hakama Question:

Are kendo Hakama's essentially the same as normal hakamas, or are they stiffer? I found a good sized Kendo Hakama for 50 dollars online and I think I'll end up getting that for the bottom half of the outfit. Also, where could I commition a top? I find the sewing machine to be a scary, foriegn device, and there's no way I could make my own.

Also, is anyone making their own shinigami? Since it's essentailly a school in the underworld, I thought rather than trying to copy any of the existing characters, I would simply dress myself up as if I were my own shinigami captain. I'll probably end up using a double hook and chain as my released soul cutter weapon, a good amount of face paint for decorative expression.

arella
01-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I love how versitile the shinigami uniform is... I did Rukia last time, and add an armband, fix the hair, wear my glasses and I'm going as Nanao Ise (still in the manga). At least this time everything won't be blurry...

I found a japanese shop that sells RED hakama so I begged Jan to do the Shinigami Academy kimono top for me *_* I could be flashback Rukia (still in manga)

animeandska
01-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Uryu Ishida here- (i dislike the anime but love the manga). Otakon 2005. Yeah I could do that. See you there.

hikarilight
01-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Uryu Ishida here- (i dislike the anime but love the manga). Otakon 2005. Yeah I could do that. See you there.

ISHIDA~ He definitely needs more lovin' *nods* <3 <3

janmurphy
01-18-2005, 02:31 AM
I love how versitile the shinigami uniform is... I did Rukia last time, and add an armband, fix the hair, wear my glasses and I'm going as Nanao Ise (still in the manga). At least this time everything won't be blurry...

I found a japanese shop that sells RED hakama so I begged Jan to do the Shinigami Academy kimono top for me *_* I could be flashback Rukia (still in manga)

Which for some unknown reason I AM doing for her. It looks so shrine maideny though.

LihtningEmperor
01-31-2005, 01:28 AM
My friend made some extensive research concerning the kimono of the shinigamis. is there a way you an post pics?

LihtningEmperor
01-31-2005, 01:30 AM
here's another one

LihtningEmperor
01-31-2005, 02:29 AM
one more thing, i noticed that Byakuya has a hand guard. Can anyone give me advice on how to make them? And also some advice on how to make the Kenseikan (head dress)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/lightningemperor/manga-rainbleach-ch116-36.png

Eleryth
01-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Arella, is the store online or a local one? I want red hakama too! I have purple ones coming, but they're female skirt type for graduation.

Lihtning Emperor, I'm not really sure about your pictures... did you want to point those out? All authentic kimono have the arm-hole slits (it's how your arrange the front properly)., but many people overlook it when making costume kimono. It's not too necessary to have unless you're really paying attention to accuracy.

I can't give too much help on the headdress, but the armthings aren't too bad. My instructions might not make too much sense, though...but here goes!

Measure your wrist and around your arm where you want it to end. Add 2 inches for overlap and seams. Traw a trapezoid (I think that's the right shape) on your fabric so it looks like this...
.........__________
......./.................\
...../.....................\
.../.........................\
..---------------------

(ignore the dots, they have to be there or the spaces between the lines disappears)

Then hem all the seams. Sew on the hand-cover part, usually a long oval-like piece. This one should be sewn like a pocket out of two pieces, then turned inside out and ironed. Pin this to the spot you want it on your trapezoid, and sew it down. Then, after hemming all the edges, sew velcro to the angled edges. It feels better if you put the hard scratcy one so it points out, and the softer curly one facing toward your skin. Punch itty bitty holes and thread thru some small round elastic to be your finger loop thing.

And finished. ^^

I've fallen so behind with bleach.... gotta catch up!

Eleryth
01-31-2005, 04:58 AM
Hakama Question:

Are kendo Hakama's essentially the same as normal hakamas, or are they stiffer? I found a good sized Kendo Hakama for 50 dollars online and I think I'll end up getting that for the bottom half of the outfit. Also, where could I commition a top? I find the sewing machine to be a scary, foriegn device, and there's no way I could make my own.

I haven't taken kendo, but did the site say what they were made of? I'm guessing a cotton or cotton/poly blend. Based on that, I'd actually assume they're a bit "softer" than formal hakama (which have a different feel which is really hard to explain - they're quite stiff). They're for doing things in, and not looking nice at formal events. ^^ I think you'd be fine with the kendo hakama. Do they come in black? They're usually blue or white, if I remember correctly.

If you have access to a sewing machine, kimono-like tops aren't that hard to make. The pieces are mostly long rectangles and the seams are all straight. Hell, if shipping from Japan weren't so crazy, I'd make it. I like making them. It's an easy enough commission that wouldn't require a lot of real measuring or fitting, so you should be able to find someone. Cost would probably depend if you want a full-length kimono or something more like the length of a haori (jacket), as well as the white underkimono or just faking the white bits.

If you'd like help working your way thru making one, just ask. I'd be happy to help.

Mesoian
01-31-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I found a black kendo hakama for 50 bucks. It's on it's way right now, so...yay. It's cotton/poly blend, so I should be able to move around in it pretty well. Considering that most of the outfits in Bleach are pretty frayed and cut up from the get go, it might actually look better to have a more functional hakama that's made to adsorb a lot of abuse than a formal one. I found pretty much everything in the base of the costume except hte top, which I haven't really shopped for. As soon as I get paid, I'll buy my tall Geta's and tabi socks as well as my weapons. I found a really nice pair of foam Kamas that I'm going to link together with plastic chain. I'm going for a released soul cutter form, since I assume a lot of katana's will be in use.

I wanna keep the actually kimono top as simple as possible. I want the fake white trim, since it'll probably be loose on me anyway. My only real worry is that I start working on something and have the black of the top not match the black of hte pants, so I'll wait until the hakama gets here to start on the top. But It's not like I have access to a sewing machine in the first place. Methinks I'm gonna end up using Froogle.com quite a bit, which is fine, because I've found some really great deals concerning this costume on there. Tabi socks + 12 inch Geta's = 36 dollars including shipping. Very choice.

Edit: finding a black keikogi is like pulling teeth. Question though, does a keikogi have the propper sleeve length? In bleach they look really long, almost kimono like, and in the keikogi pictures I've been looking at they all seem almost normal sleeve size.

This is what I'm thinking about it, this or something like it (http://www.e-bogu.com/photos/TAK-KEN-KEI-1LAYER-SHOAI-00S-2.jpg)

Eleryth
01-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Edit: finding a black keikogi is like pulling teeth. Question though, does a keikogi have the propper sleeve length? In bleach they look really long, almost kimono like, and in the keikogi pictures I've been looking at they all seem almost normal sleeve size.

This is what I'm thinking about it, this or something like it (http://www.e-bogu.com/photos/TAK-KEN-KEI-1LAYER-SHOAI-00S-2.jpg)

Good eye! A keikogi is for martial arts practice, where the long sleeves would get in the way (I don't remember the kanji, but I think it's actually got kanji that mean "practice" in it). The shinigami are wearing actual kimono garments, which do have longer sleeves. A black keikogi might get you close enough to the look for your liking, but it wouldn't be accurate.

Searching online, you might be able to find a kurotomesode, and cut off the designs and hem it (if it has designs). Then all you'd have to do is paint over the crests to make them black. I think these are normally worn by women, but a kimono is fairly unisex (it's the designs and way it's worn that change what it is).

EDIT: I did a quick ebay search, and there's several black haori, if you wanted to go that route. Finding the right size might be more difficult. If you're a bigger person, just get the biggest one you can find. They're not that expensive, either, it seems. Hardest part might be finding a plain black one (some have small designs or something). I searched "kimono black". There's also a few kurotomesode, but seeing how old they were, I'd feel terrible if you cut it up. :( After cutting, they would be the same length as a haori anyway.

EDIT2: There's also some mourning kimono up that are all back with just the mon (crests). The ones I saw were from ro gauze, which is a bit lighter, but if you wore a white underkimono, it'd probably look alright.

Mesoian
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Good eye! A keikogi is for martial arts practice, where the long sleeves would get in the way (I don't remember the kanji, but I think it's actually got kanji that mean "practice" in it). The shinigami are wearing actual kimono garments, which do have longer sleeves. A black keikogi might get you close enough to the look for your liking, but it wouldn't be accurate.

Searching online, you might be able to find a kurotomesode, and cut off the designs and hem it (if it has designs). Then all you'd have to do is paint over the crests to make them black. I think these are normally worn by women, but a kimono is fairly unisex (it's the designs and way it's worn that change what it is).

EDIT: I did a quick ebay search, and there's several black haori, if you wanted to go that route. Finding the right size might be more difficult. If you're a bigger person, just get the biggest one you can find. They're not that expensive, either, it seems. Hardest part might be finding a plain black one (some have small designs or something). I searched "kimono black". There's also a few kurotomesode, but seeing how old they were, I'd feel terrible if you cut it up. :( After cutting, they would be the same length as a haori anyway.

EDIT2: There's also some mourning kimono up that are all back with just the mon (crests). The ones I saw were from ro gauze, which is a bit lighter, but if you wore a white underkimono, it'd probably look alright.

I found this: Black Kimono (http://www.japanesegifts.com/images/kimonoblack.jpg) It's a little expensive, but it looks good and I can afford it overtime.

It looks like it would work, but would the actual size of the kimono interfere with the Hakama, or vice versa? I wouldn't mind the under kimono, but that might be a little too much.

Eleryth
01-31-2005, 06:53 PM
Not if worn properly, it won't interfere. It might take some getting used to, though, just like wearing kimono. You always have to watch your sleeves, not take big steps, and many people have to get used to wearing the obi (for women, anyway). Once you wear it all around the house for a few hours, you'll be fine.

I think I posted how-to-wear mens kimono pics earlier. Since your hakama are umanori (horseriding style, split leg), you'll have to tuck the back of the kimono up under the obi, and that's it that's different about it. If you don't understand, I can put on my kimono and take pictures of what I mean for you. I don't have a mens obi, so you'll have to imagine that whatever sash I use is an obi, but that's it.

All I got was what looked like a paint program picture for the kimono. But if it looks like that, it will work. You can leave the mon on it if you want to (it's very formal) or you can paint over them with a little bit of fabric paint. The mon usually aren't that noticable, so if you left them, it might be an interesting little touch. But that's entirely up to you.

As for the under kimono, that's actually what the white at the collar and sleeves is. However, you should be able to fake that fairly easily with a little bit of handsewing (making a fake collar and little lining bits for the sleeves). It's actually not too bad - I currently wear 3 layers with my kimono (along with all sorts of stupid padding that men don't have to wear), and soon (YAY!) I'm going to be adding hakama to that. It's a little warm, but I don't mind. [If you can't tell already, I love wearing kimono.] And a side note - silks are lighter and cooler than polyester blends (I have one of each, and the poly is much warmer to wear).

thoradin
02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Me and a huge group are planning to be a multitude of Bleach people for the coming Otakon... Most of us are going to be shinigamis, which means for the most part, our main costumes are all the same.

I have a pretty good idea what the costume consists of, but I was wondering if there was anyone around that would have helpful hints (especially with the kimono-esque top that's pretty common). I know extremely few people have cosplayed Bleach thusfar.. so this is a far shot. But any helpful suggestions would be welcome and considered :) !

I'll be going to Katsucon this year as Uryuu Ishida, here's a pre-con preview pic. It's not 100% finished as I still have to put the red tag on the left arm of my shirt. :) The hardest part was making the cross but I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. Sorry about the bad lighting but let me know what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/9599475f.jpg

My friend Dan will be going as Chad. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/8e900f25.jpg

Sorry, we were compelled to do a little "Drop In". Bwahahahaha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/cce0b89b.jpg :bigtu:

I should have my white coat ready by AMA so you'll see me in that there. ^_^

hikarilight
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I'll be going to Katsucon this year as Uryuu Ishida, here's a pre-con preview pic. It's not 100% finished as I still have to put the red tag on the left arm of my shirt. :) The hardest part was making the cross but I'm pretty satisfied with the end result. Sorry about the bad lighting but let me know what you think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/9599475f.jpg

My friend Dan will be going as Chad. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/8e900f25.jpg

Sorry, we were compelled to do a little "Drop In". Bwahahahaha!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/thoradin/Bleach/cce0b89b.jpg :bigtu:

I should have my white coat ready by AMA so you'll see me in that there. ^_^

Ishida and Chad <3 <3 You two do such lovely jobs as these characters and you never have his bracelet correct *_*

Can't wait for more pics :D

thoradin
02-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Ishida and Chad <3 <3 You two do such lovely jobs as these characters and you never have his bracelet correct *_*

Can't wait for more pics :D

Thanks so much, I'll be sure to post them here after Katsucon. :)

janmurphy
02-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Kon has begun! Man that picture of it is sooo small you probably cant even see the wire frame. Sorry, took that with my phone.
I decided that Kon's head shouldnt be a perfect circle. Honestly Im basing that on fan art. Not even fan art, fan GIFs, the gifs on the index page of my site to be precise. I just thought it looked better that way.
That thing is about 65cm high. :eek:

PS has anyone seen this week's Bleach chapter in Jump? You know Ichigo? yeah, Im doin that. Wanna say more but cant spoil! argh!

Mesoian
02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Heh, I just read up through Chapter 162. I'm now allowed to be way more liberal with my outfit if I want to

janmurphy
02-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Tell me if you die of excitement when you hit 165. I hope this year is a good one for Bleach cosplays. Theres just so many ways to be cool in the same clothes! Kutos to Kubo!

thoradin
02-03-2005, 03:58 AM
Kon has begun! Man that picture of it is sooo small you probably cant even see the wire frame. Sorry, took that with my phone.
I decided that Kon's head shouldnt be a perfect circle. Honestly Im basing that on fan art. Not even fan art, fan GIFs, the gifs on the index page of my site to be precise. I just thought it looked better that way.

PS has anyone seen this week's Bleach chapter in Jump? You know Ichigo? yeah, Im doin that. Wanna say more but cant spoil! argh!

I just sent you a PM with a good bit of Kon reference pics, hope that helps you out some. :D

Mesoian
02-03-2005, 04:22 PM
My hakama finally showed up. I have no idea how to wear this. I didn't want to pop the fold seems so I just slipped into it and felt each one pop as I moved it up my body.

I decided to go with a Kaori top, and I think I'll just wear a false undershirt beneith it.

Eleryth
02-03-2005, 05:06 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=884332&postcount=81

This post might help. It's photos (Japanese directions, though) on how to put on mens kimono and hakama. I'll see if I can find more links for you later. Gotta run off to work now.

Jingster
02-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Wow! thanks for the instructions Eleryth. I have one question though, what is the flap behind the hakama that we see in the academy uniform ? =O

Eleryth
02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
The flap behind the hakama? I can't really find a picture... but it's sorta rectangular, and sticks up a bit along the back? I haven't kept up with Bleach... (bad girl!) so could you post a picture?

Here's more links for hakama related stuff...
http://www.aikidocentrum-utrecht.aikikai.nl/images/hakama-omknopen.JPG (wearing)
http://jujitsuannex.tripod.com/hakama.gif (how to fold when not wearing)

Mesoian
02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
My flap has a handle on it. I don't know why.

I just folded up my hakama for the first time. I did a really bad job. But it won't get wrinkled, and if it does, I can iron it.

ACXchan
02-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I've been working on my Ishida bow. I want to make a resin cap for it but I've been thinking of trying to drill holes along the exterior so I can plant some LED lights in it to make the bow light up ^ ^ Thankfully I have two bows to work with if I break one @D@

Mesoian
02-06-2005, 12:18 PM
A suggestion.

You can get one long LED light tube fit for lining the internal casing of computers to slide down the middle if it's clear.

Something like this. (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=00-888-040&DEPA=9)

Or better yet... (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=00-888-038&depa=9)

Avatrix
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Which chapter is that? I've decided I'm going to attempt the Ichigo costume that shows up in 162 (around there, anyway). It's not kimonos anymore, so it took me a little while to work out, but I think I've got it now. The big swing is for the new version of Zangetsu, which I'm psyched to make. However, it may be dependant on whether I think I can actually carry it around at AB05--they aren't quite clear on whether it would be acceptable. It'd be wood (and wooden boken aren't allowed), but it would be much longer, and ornamentally painted. And, I'll be trying to make the you-know-what prop that shows up. Ah, hopefully I haven't given anything away.

janmurphy
02-07-2005, 04:32 PM
I was looking at 165, I think were thinking of the same prop, I have already started the process for mine. How are you planning on doing the bandages though? Putting them on AT the con isnt really an option for me so Im going to try to make a shirt. Im not even trying to make the sword though. Maybe Ill cobble somethng together if we ever do any outdoor shots, but theres a one meter prop restriction at most conventions here. Knowing me though, Id probably either make it inflatable or plush.... or both. hehe I DO have an inflatable lightsaber type thing that is FUSHIA, maybe ill bring that, hehehe.
Anyway back to the other prop, pm me if you wanna talk construction notes. Some scupting is involved though.

ACXchan
02-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Mesoian, thanks for the link! I love the tube that pulses with the electric current XD Unfortunately I don't think I can install a straight light into my bow. My bow is about 60" when strung so the curve wouldn't be able to accomodate a straight light. That's why I've been thinking of planting smaller LEDs within the wood, that way I can work with the curve. By the way, I love your ABA avatar XD

HybridTwist
02-08-2005, 01:43 PM
Which chapter is that? I've decided I'm going to attempt the Ichigo costume that shows up in 162 (around there, anyway). It's not kimonos anymore, so it took me a little while to work out, but I think I've got it now. The big swing is for the new version of Zangetsu, which I'm psyched to make. However, it may be dependant on whether I think I can actually carry it around at AB05--they aren't quite clear on whether it would be acceptable. It'd be wood (and wooden boken aren't allowed), but it would be much longer, and ornamentally painted. And, I'll be trying to make the you-know-what prop that shows up. Ah, hopefully I haven't given anything away.

Are you talking about the Zangetsu's second form? And do you have a pic of his new costume?

Mesoian
02-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Are you talking about the Zangetsu's second form? And do you have a pic of his new costume?

he's talking about Ichigo's bankai. Let's see if I can't get a picture of it up here.

There we go. It almost looks like he's wearing a fuku with white trim. It's the first tight sleaved shinigami outfit we've seen thus far.

Mesoian, thanks for the link! I love the tube that pulses with the electric current XD Unfortunately I don't think I can install a straight light into my bow. My bow is about 60" when strung so the curve wouldn't be able to accomodate a straight light. That's why I've been thinking of planting smaller LEDs within the wood, that way I can work with the curve. By the way, I love your ABA avatar XD

You are welcome, and thank you. But you might wanna check these out, they may bend. I'm not totally sure. If they don't, check out newegg.com or thinkgeek.com for their cathode lights. I know there are a bunch that do bend. Also if your bow is transparent plastic or plexiglass, that light is going to reflect all the way through, so ine static light should illuminate the whole thing.

But, suggestion suggestion.

qjke
02-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I was planning on going to A-Kon as Kitsuki (The embodyment of Zangetsu) But finding sunglasses similar to his is a pain... making the whole tatterd robe it gonna be easy =P

Eleryth
02-08-2005, 10:35 PM
Ooh, that new outfit looks really interesting.... especially since it seems to be mixing styles from East and West (still has the hakama-like pants). Nice stuff.

Mesoian
02-08-2005, 10:44 PM
I just read up through 165.

Ichigo is just full of suprises. That boy alone is a cosplayers dream. So many different forms.

Eleryth
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Sorry, gotta ask this...

Is Bleach the 'new' Naruto? Or at the very least, the 'Naruto' for older people?

I generally mean costume wise, not show/storyline/plot wise.

Milai Sapphire
02-09-2005, 02:28 AM
It seems as if we might have a new "Naruto" in our hands...although it might take a while for this wave of "Bleach love" to kick in. Even though it seems the numbers are increasing...

janmurphy
02-09-2005, 03:13 AM
It does seem rather popular eh, but the Bleach anime is only somewhere on episode 20 but theyve gone through A LOT of the manga. So the word is that they're only be one season. So who knows.

Avatrix
02-09-2005, 07:01 AM
As Mesoian said, yes, it's the Bankai that I'm planning on doing. I got an OK on my planned design for the Tensa Zangetsu from the AB05 Security guy--mostly because I will be doing it in a fashion to make it delicate, so they know it won't stand up to hurting someone with it. If I'm around, I'll definitely take it to Otakon as well (but I might be in Japan, I'm not sure yet).

As for the costume, after extensive examinations and having friends look at it, I'm using more of a long coat pattern with some alterations. I'm going to do the two layers of it still... since it'll flow more freely, the under layer will be more visible. Still debating about the bandages. My first inclination is to use actual bandages, and use medical tape to keep them in place. But I'm afraid they'll get loose as I walk around, and they won't be very fixable. So I may use a tight t-shirt and sew bandages to it for the right look, then use actual bandages for the neck.

As for being the "new Naruto", there are similarities that lend itself to popular cosplay. There are a lot of different characters with excellent costumes. Also, the characters are split between adults and teenagers, rather than largely young teens--so it's easier for those of us who aren't so young anymore to cosplay (at 25, I find myself a minority "elder" at many conventions, even though it's not so old--but I have disposable income for cons and cosplay). Personally, I haven't been as excited about cosplaying anything before Bleach since Naruto... I did my first Zabuza a year and a half ago--this past season I didn't put in nearly the effort. Anyway, I'd be disappointed if the Bleach anime ends in one season. I'm not caught up, but I would think there's enough for a second season in there.

Tomasu-Sensei
02-09-2005, 07:39 AM
I hope there are more than 1 seasons, its a well made story.

Mesoian
02-09-2005, 11:39 AM
With the sheer insane length of soul society, I don't think we have to worry about one season. While it may be one season, It looks right now that it's gonna be a 52 episode season. They're gonna put a lot of emphesis on these fights and they're not gonna be able to pass it off from panel to panel like they could with some of the eariler hollow fights. If the show is still popular after society, I'm sure they'll continue on whatever plotline follows, which probably deals with the "evil" shinigami we saw for a split second just before soul society started.

The only issue I could see with this right now is them running into the manga and there for, creating filler, or creating a gaiden ending, which wouldn't please me very much.

Akira-Kun
02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
If anyone is interested, many of the characters in Bleach wear Waraji for their footwear, not sandals or slippers. If you're aiming for hardcore authentic and accurate Shinigami outfits, a pair of Waraji is what you need.

They are basically a kind of poor-person's sandals, made out of straw rope, that common folk in Japan used to wear like a generation or two ago (you made them by hand 'cause you were too poor to afford shoes or sandals). They are usually very hard to come by in the United States but I managed to find some at a Japanese hardware store in my area. They went for about $20.00 and of course came in different sizes. The guy who owned the place wondered what I wanted them for as he says most people these days use them for decorations (hang them around) but I didn't mention cosplay :razz:

Also, for even more hard-core authenticity, one would need a pair of Tabi Socks to complete the footwear. Tabi Socks, at least in my local area, are a little more common and easier to come by, though I think you can get both Waraji and Tabi Socks online. Waraji aren't exactly the most comfortable thing in the world to wear, but one must suffer for cosplay :)

I have some super hi-res pics of Wararji here (http://www.gitadora.com/bwah/waraji1.jpg) and here (http://www.gitadora.com/bwah/waraji2.jpg) for your viewing pleasure. I have a PS2 pad next to it for size reference.

janmurphy
02-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Ohh, those have cloth woven into them! Thats classy. They sell those at the morning market here. I keep meaning to pick up a pair. But, the ones they sell dont have that neat cloth weave. Would be nice, Arella says they can get quite uncomfortable.
Just a note, but the shinegami ones have an extra strap going over the top of the foot. Twine seems to work fine to make that, cause they just dont seem to sell them with it there already.
I wonder why the shinegami with the nice kimonos have poor peoples shoes? Although I think they're seen as a kinda travellers shoe too, but not sure on that one at all.

OH and I finally got around to making the hollow shirt graphic! (*ponders* did I even mention I was doing that?) I did 4 or 5 variations, I forget right now.

Im putting up a tshirt section later too. Muchos Bleach influence there. Looks to be fun. PM me if youve anything youd like to contribute, I always give full credit yo!

Mesoian
02-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Ah, Ebay is so nice. I just bought a black Haori which will be perfect for my shinigami. I also bid on a nice black Kimono that I'd be happy to take if no one else bids upon it. If I win that one, I found another Haori which would be absolutely perfect for a captain's garb. My shinigami is slowly coming to form!

LihtningEmperor
02-11-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm going as Byakuya for this year's fanime. I need some help on making the kenseikan(hair piece) that he has.

Also, anyone have any idea what color his tekko(hand guard) is?

janmurphy
02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmm, Ive seen people do trianlges of paper or thin foam. It didnt look too hard. Braided the hair on the side and bobby pinned them in. His hand guards are white.

HybridTwist
02-11-2005, 10:16 PM
Thank you Wah Mei!!!!! That shoe thing has been bugging the hell out of me.

mythology
02-12-2005, 06:31 AM
hi obviously i'm new here XD
i'm planning on cosplaying renji, any suggestions on the sword? i was planning on making a retractable sword but its really hard!! and honestly i don't think i can carry cosplaying renji >__<

:waaaah:

Mesoian
02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
You might just wanna go with a peacebonded katana and make the outfit and body first. Save the sword for last and work on bringing the rest of the outfit together first. 10-1, you'd need to commition it anyway.

MizuSenjutsu
02-12-2005, 02:16 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=884332&postcount=81

This post might help. It's photos (Japanese directions, though) on how to put on mens kimono and hakama. I'll see if I can find more links for you later. Gotta run off to work now.

Thanks for the post eleryth on the proper way to put on a hakama. I just have only 1 question though. How do I make a proper looking knot in the front x_x?

HybridTwist
02-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Hey I got a question for the people that know the traditional japanese clothing. I know that Ichigo wears a type of Hakama, but it's a western style that he wears. Does anyone know the name of that style Hakama. Here's a pic:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/state_alchemist/edfgdfg.jpg

Or am I wrong and he wears a normal one?

Eleryth
02-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the post eleryth on the proper way to put on a hakama. I just have only 1 question though. How do I make a proper looking knot in the front x_x?

I'll check my books to see what I can find. If you can find Yamanaka Norio's "The Book of Kimono", I believe it tells how to tie it for men. If there is nothing, worst comes to worst, I can take pics of me tying mine the men's way (though mine are womens). I think the only specific tie is for formal hakama wearing; other than that, I think you can just tie it. But I'll still look, I'm curious.

State Alchemist
Ichigo's wearing hakama known as "umanori" (horse-riding style), AKA "split-leg" hakama. The other type is "andon" (skirt). As far as I know, there is no such thing as "Western Hakama", since it's an Asian article of clothing. Both styles are normal, although andon type are usually more formal than umanori. :)

Mesoian
02-13-2005, 11:46 PM
I have a question.

IS there anything that I need to know about Happis? And can they be worn with Kaori's? Because if so, I think I just found a really nice Happi that will go well with my outfit and my Tengu shoes.

MizuSenjutsu
02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I'll try looking for the book on my way to work tomorrow. I was trying to remember how to tie a belt like I did in martial arts (6 years of neglect and can't remember a single thing). When I attempted to do it, the knot looked funky.

Eleryth
02-14-2005, 02:43 AM
It's not tied the same way as a belt used for a gi, if that's what you were trying to do. The fifth pic has a more casual way to tie the knot (if you blow up the pic you can see it better). Otherwise, seeing as the women's is just a bow, and that's what I've seen for martial arts (IIRC), as long as you wrap them and put them on correctly, I think you could tie it however you want (I say this cuz I just saw a guy on tv and he had his tied really strangely, so I guess you can do whatever looks good).

Mesoian
02-15-2005, 09:27 PM
::Fustration:: I still need that long white belt and an underkimono. No one sells underkimonos, no one at all.

And I'm sure another Haori isn't going to work. I'm already using one as the kimono top itself, a sleeveless body length haori is impossible to find outside of commitions.

::Huff:: This is annoying. It seems like I go two steps foreward and three steps back on this all the time. The plastic chain I got to be part of the weapon was entirely too short and I can't return it. So I have a 3 foot plastic chain that's totally useless. Maybe I can find somewhere domestic to get it.

Eleryth
02-15-2005, 10:25 PM
This page has a silk juban for $30... http://www.kimonoexport.com/Mens.htm Which, if it's silk, is a good price, even if it's used. Silk items are usually crazy expensive.

http://www.asahi-jc.com/kimonoac.htm It's for women, I know, but you could get away with the same thing easily, since Japanese garments are fairly unisex in design (it's the color and styles of wearing that makes the difference, usually). The undershirt only (hadajuban) should work just fine.

For others, the same page sells dark kimono for men... there's currently one on the bargain page for $30. http://www.kimonoexport.com/Bargains.htm

As for the white sash, I'd say just visit a fabric store, buy about 40 cm of white cotton, cut it in half (so it's two pieces 20 and 20), then sew those end to end so it's a really long pieces, iron the seam, then sew it into a tube (seams on the outside), leaving one end open. Iron seams, turn inside out, iron again. Blind stitch it shut. And there you go.

Mesoian
02-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Ugh, Eleryth, you are my goddess and savior! Thank you so much!

My Geta's game. They're slightly too small, but I don't think it'll be an issue. With the Tabi Socks, I should have enough padding for the heal. Walking on them feels weird with the two teeth..but..hey.

Hopefully the "Haori" I got will work out. I bought like...4 of them on ebay. Luckily, I got one of them for free in a mutual deal. I dunno, I might just dump the happi since the one I wanna use probably isn't gonna work at all. But I'm out of money for the month, so any more purchases will need to wait until march.

Eleryth
02-15-2005, 11:43 PM
No worries!

Regarding geta, they should, in fact, be a tad too small. For example, my feet are about 25.5 cm, and my zori and geta are at 25 cm. And the tabi should fit snugly, just like real socks do. As for walking, just practice. You shouldn't be heel-toe-ing at much as you do with runners or shoes that are flat soled...it's hard to explain, but it's easy to do once you get the hang of it. Breaking them in is the biggest thing - you're going to wear them all day. They'd better be comfortable. (I personally find my proper-sized Japanese shoes very comfy, but that's me.)

jen_kat
02-16-2005, 12:37 PM
A lot of people in my school's anime club plan to do the shinigami uniforms. A trip to buy fabric is in order, but could someone suggest what would be the best type of fabric to purchase for the different parts of the uniforms? Thanks. ^^

(I'm kind of scared to see how it's going to turn out, just in the anime club alone, not to mention any cons coming up... O_O)

janmurphy
02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Eleryth - arghh its that green bobble-movy-head creature thing! ugh. Those are too popular in Nagoya, whole stand of them, heads swaying... its creeeepy.

Right then, the POINT of the post. hehe. My contacts came in. And now I have advice for people ordering their first pair of contacts for cosplay. Dont get scelara lenses unless you have been putting contact in for a while. OMG Scelara are the type that cover the whole eye. They are HUGE. I have had contacts for 8 years, and I was frightened of these things when I saw them. I was really hard to get them in. With practice I think it will be ok. These arent what you get if you cant touch your eyes though.
On with the show! I know what you all really want. Pictures! Well, theyre there. Like my Ichigo smile? My chapter 165 Ichigo is coming together. sweeet.

Eleryth
02-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Eeee, that's so creepy, Jan! Why aren't your pupils black, though? Oh, maybe cuz of the way you're holding the camera/light and stuff... who knows. The irises look blue, though, to me. Could be the lighting.

Yeah, I love the Hidamari no Tami's! (the head bobber guys) I collect them. I wish I could find more up here! Aomori has nothing! I'm looking specifically for and orange fishing one from possibly 1.5 years ago, and the "omiyage" ones, from Honshu, Okinawa, and Hokkaido... I've contemplated making a hidamari costume, but the proportions are too wacky for someone to actually make it work.

To above regarding fabric choice...

Depends how authentic you want to make your costumes, as that would affect how much material you buy. Go for thicker cottons or cotton/poly blends, I guess. Wool/poly blend would probably work, too, as would a sports fabric (some slightly stretchy black - they're really dark, and feel nice). White of the same material. Steer away from broadcloth, it's too thin. For the hakama, I'd go with a wool or wool blend, if you can find one. Check out the suiting material (that's what it's called; I believe it's often a wool blend).

For the hakama, you want something that will hold pleats nicely. Polyesters won't really do that unless they're of a certain weave (but I don't know what it is... I say this because I believe my new hakama are a poly or poly blend).

You could go really authentic and get certain types of silk for the kimonos, but that might be a bit too expensive. ^^

Hope that helps somewhat.

jen_kat
02-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks, Eleryth. I'll keep those in mind when we go shopping. There's gonna be a lot of yardage to be bought. @_@

Jan.. I am scared. Looks good. XD;; *shivers*

UchihaGirl
02-21-2005, 03:09 PM
I used a cotton fabric, for both the hakama and the hitatori. The pattern....eek. I got it a looooong time ago from online and now I can't find it and I would scan mine if I had a scanner. And it's one of the best ones I've seen because it comes out so authentic (better than those who end up with skirts).

The closest thing I've seen was here:

http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japmakemenshakama.htm

Milai Sapphire
02-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Eleryth - arghh its that green bobble-movy-head creature thing! ugh. Those are too popular in Nagoya, whole stand of them, heads swaying... its creeeepy.

Right then, the POINT of the post. hehe. My contacts came in. And now I have advice for people ordering their first pair of contacts for cosplay. Dont get scelara lenses unless you have been putting contact in for a while. OMG Scelara are the type that cover the whole eye. They are HUGE. I have had contacts for 8 years, and I was frightened of these things when I saw them. I was really hard to get them in. With practice I think it will be ok. These arent what you get if you cant touch your eyes though.
On with the show! I know what you all really want. Pictures! Well, theyre there. Like my Ichigo smile? My chapter 165 Ichigo is coming together. sweeet.

Coolness. XD Kind of freaked me out at first glance though...accidentally closed my browser... :thumbsup:

Mesoian
02-21-2005, 06:39 PM

Ah, coolies. You're going as Ivory Ichigo. Those contacts are perfect for it.

Eleryth
02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
Uchiha girl, may I ask what a "hitatori" is? I can't find the word in my dictionary, so I'm curious.

Also, some hakama are "skirts", so perhaps you were looking at a pattern for those? When split-leg hakama are worn and the person is standing straight, the pleats should overlap so you can hardly tell, if all, that the hakama are actually split-leg. At least, this is how I see them worn, and I always have to look closely to find out which style of hakama one is wearing, as sometimes the crotch seam is really low (like with sumou referees).

Avatrix
02-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Hot diggity! I'm going to have to grab some of those myself. Thankfully, I've been wearing contacts for 10 years or so, and have poked my eyes enough not to be afraid. Besides, I've always wanted contacts that would freak people out. Last year on the subway in Boston, in costume, was a lot of fun. This year... oh my! Anyway, the contacts look like they have blue irises... you mentioned to me they were the "negative" lenses from 9mm... which look white on their site. Which way is it?

And for your Ichigo smile, you need to furrow your brow more! ~_^

HybridTwist
02-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Jan, those contacts look great!! How much did they cost you?

MizuSenjutsu
02-22-2005, 12:18 AM
hakama is ready, Haori is in the process of being made. Most of my bleach cosplay is set. My only problem is trying to figure out who to cosplay as. I had planned on going as Renji, but my hair wont grow in time for AX, that and the fact had to fight to even get long bangs in the front. So that means the hair in the the back gets cut ><. I have now decided to go as Hitsugaya Toushirou. I just would like to know what kind of gel i should use. I need something strong and can turn my hair white. (Don't want to bleach it). Thanks for the help in advance.

janmurphy
02-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Ohh, lets not go into what those contacts cost, Ill faint again. They ARE te negitive ones, but I requested that they make the iris look more natural, which in turn DID make them look kinda blue I think. But also my eyes are blue so I think they may show thru and add to it a bit. Not that this slackens my joy in them the least little bit. They definatly fit the bill I ordered them for.
Ive never heard the term Ivory Ichigo, sounds like soap. Pink soap. But I guess thats what Im doing to the Bleach Con in April, sorry but the Kon outfit got cancelled till im in Canada, theres just no foam here. I will also be doing Rukia's vice-captain, but sadly I cant remember his name (edit: its Kaien!). Yes, Im just doing him cause of the eyes. Plus Arella does a wicked Rukia (MECHA RUKIA!) and Id finally be 'in her timeline'.

Id also like to add that Ichigo should carry a &$"$#ing butter knife. Stupid sword. So far has only cost 4$ though. But if anyone knows how to paint to stick to plastic Id appreciate the help.

Avatrix, I AM furrowing! Ahh, its so tense... Im just no good in a situation like this...

Avatrix
02-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Ohh, lets not go into what those contacts cost, Ill faint again. They ARE te negitive ones, but I requested that they make the iris look more natural, which in turn DID make them look kinda blue I think. But also my eyes are blue so I think they may show thru and add to it a bit. Not that this slackens my joy in them the least little bit. They definatly fit the bill I ordered them for.
Ive never heard the term Ivory Ichigo, sounds like soap. Pink soap. But I guess thats what Im doing to the Bleach Con in April, sorry but the Kon outfit got cancelled till im in Canada, theres just no foam here. I will also be doing Rukia's vice-captain, but sadly I cant remember his name (edit: its Kaien!). Yes, Im just doing him cause of the eyes. Plus Arella does a wicked Rukia (MECHA RUKIA!) and Id finally be 'in her timeline'.

Id also like to add that Ichigo should carry a &$"$#ing butter knife. Stupid sword. So far has only cost 4$ though. But if anyone knows how to paint to stick to plastic Id appreciate the help.

Avatrix, I AM furrowing! Ahh, its so tense... Im just no good in a situation like this...
For painting, it depends what type of paint you use. On most plastics, I would suggest an enamel paint. Avoid acrylic paints. Model paints would probably give the best results, since they're designed for the purpose, but are expensive--if the sword isn't too big, it might be reasonable though. Also, you could try oil based paints--they should work okay.

As for the contacts, I too am wide-eyed at the price. I am so happy I have a good job and some disposable income. And silly me is thinking of taking a massive pay cut, so I can teach English in Japan...

UchihaGirl
02-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Uchiha girl, may I ask what a "hitatori" is? I can't find the word in my dictionary, so I'm curious.

Also, some hakama are "skirts", so perhaps you were looking at a pattern for those? When split-leg hakama are worn and the person is standing straight, the pleats should overlap so you can hardly tell, if all, that the hakama are actually split-leg. At least, this is how I see them worn, and I always have to look closely to find out which style of hakama one is wearing, as sometimes the crotch seam is really low (like with sumou referees).

I might have spelt it wrong since I am lazy and half-awake...which I did. It's hitatare (>_<; like I said, half-awake). But it's the shirt portion of the outfit. Hakamas aren't skirts...they are pants. They are always pants, or at least, I've always seen them as pants throughout various anime and real-life photos. Sorry it took a while to reply.

Avatrix
02-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Just a note for those of you looking for Waraji sandals. I found a store selling rope sandals that, while not perfectly authentic, are supposedly much more comfortable, and also add the top straps. They brand is called "Gurkees" (I won't post a link, because I'm not sure if it's allowed by forum rules). They're under $25--for the sake of comfort, I may go with that option.

janmurphy
02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
For painting, it depends what type of paint you use. On most plastics, I would suggest an enamel paint. Avoid acrylic paints. Model paints would probably give the best results, since they're designed for the purpose, but are expensive--if the sword isn't too big, it might be reasonable though. Also, you could try oil based paints--they should work okay.

As for the contacts, I too am wide-eyed at the price. I am so happy I have a good job and some disposable income. And silly me is thinking of taking a massive pay cut, so I can teach English in Japan...

Pay cut? wow, you must make much more than I. I might sugust the yellow and black if you get scelera contacts. THe white really does look blue ne? If you do get a pair be sure to tell me your first reaction to the 'I have to get THAT in my eye' problem, heheee.

Im gonna go to the DIY store today and just show them a piece of plastic and mime that I want the paint to stay on. My japanese isnt that bad, but it doesnt extend to hardware stores. Id prolly end up saying that I dont want the plastic to take off its clothes. U_U

Eleryth
02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Uchihagirl
Wow, I really had better catch up on my Bleach. Which character are you making? I've done a search for "hitatare" and come up with a historical garment that seems to be from the Heian era that is worn over a kimono, sort of like a cross between a haori and a kimono in wearing style. I haven't seen any costumes from Bleach that go that far back style wise, but since I haven't seen the whole thing so far, I can't say for sure.

And some hakama are "skirts". There are two styles of hakama. Usually in anime they are drawn as split-leg since that's by far the most common. Women's hakama are "skirt" style (exept possibly for martial arts). My sensei also told me that the most formal men's hakama are also "skirt" style, like those for weddings and tea ceremonies (usually those black and white striped ones). "Skirt" style is called "andonbakama" while "split-leg" is called "umanoribakama" (horse-riding, since that's mostly what they needed the separate legs for). It might be a more recent thing, though. I'll double check with my sensei tonight since I will see her for class.

Everyone who is wondering how to wear a kimono with hakama
Usually a kimono is worn with hakama. You're probably wondering (along with everyone else) how it's done since there's a crotch seam and the kimono can't hang all the way down. Apparently, the kimono was put on, then the back seam of the kimono was lifted and tucked under the obi. This raised it up above the crotch seam while still allowing the kimono to fill the side openings of the hakama. I assume you wouldn't see the kimono bits sticking out from the obi because that gets covered with the hakama. I have been meaning to try this on my own and see how it works; when I do, I'll take pictures, for sure.

Many "cheat" and make what they're calling "hakama-shita", a shortened (about to the knees) kimono with a slit in the back seam. I have only been able to find reference of this piece on one website, but it sells Japanese costume goods. This might also be a modern thing; I am also going to ask my teacher about it tonight since I found a picture. When I asked her about a "hakama-shita" a few weeks ago, she looked at me like I was crazy. When I search it in Japanese, I get pants historically worn under hakama or the half-obi used for women (which is tied under the hakama).

Avatrix
I think you're allowed to post the link because you're not spam-promoting your own site or linking to a place that sells what the cosplay.com store sells. I'm curious! I'd love to add another bookmark to my selection.

UchihaGirl
02-22-2005, 07:07 PM
Uchihagirl
Wow, I really had better catch up on my Bleach. Which character are you making? I've done a search for "hitatare" and come up with a historical garment that seems to be from the Heian era that is worn over a kimono, sort of like a cross between a haori and a kimono in wearing style. I haven't seen any costumes from Bleach that go that far back style wise, but since I haven't seen the whole thing so far, I can't say for sure.

And some hakama are "skirts". There are two styles of hakama. Usually in anime they are drawn as split-leg since that's by far the most common. Women's hakama are "skirt" style (exept possibly for martial arts). My sensei also told me that the most formal men's hakama are also "skirt" style, like those for weddings and tea ceremonies (usually those black and white striped ones). "Skirt" style is called "andonbakama" while "split-leg" is called "umanoribakama" (horse-riding, since that's mostly what they needed the separate legs for). It might be a more recent thing, though. I'll double check with my sensei tonight since I will see her for class.

Yeah, it's the over shirt to the haori. I went based on the images I saw of Ichigo that my friend gave me. It seems like it was the hitatare over the white haori/kimono. The character I made was Ichigo but I am planning Rukia and a few other shinigami for the near future.

I guess there are some skirts but like I've said, almost every picture I've seen includes the pant version. I know there are more formal versions for weddings and such, like the yukata and stuff. I don't have a sensei or any other tutor to learn from so it's all from basic self-research so I could have found some information that is incorrect.

Eleryth
02-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the reply!

For historical clothing (heian era, usually), the Sengokudaimyo site (http://www.sengokudaimyo.com) is really handy. For normal kimono, there's some good books and websites. I think some are:
www.japanesekimono.com
http://www.moto-ya.com/articles/article001.htm
http://kimono.fraise.net/
The Book of Kimono by Norio Yamanaka (good overview, basic kitsuke/wearing)

There are tonnes of pages on the internet - just use the handy google search if you're interested.

Here's a quick basic rundown on kimono-related clothing (my own definitions, so they may or may not make sense and are relatively simplified)...

kimono - a long, usually lined garment of varying styles (eg. furisode - long sleeves for young women, kurotomesode- black with crests for formal events, etc). Style and color is what usually differentiates a men's kimono from women's.

haori - the open jacket worn over a kimono (e.g. think of those blue/white things the shinsengumi wear). This is not tucked into or worn under the hakama.

hakama - Japanese style pleated 'pants'. Usually they are split leg (far more common). Only the formal and ladies hakama seem to be skirt-style. This is worn over a kimono. On women, it's worn higher than it is for men. They should not hang to the ground.

juban/nagajuban - the underwear for a kimono. It's like a kimono, but in white. It's what makes the white collar when you see a person in kimono. It's often the white lining in the sleeves, too. It's basically the same size as a kimono.

yukata - a summer "kimono" that used to be worn for the bath and only in the house. It's now worn out to festivals. It's only worn in the summer. No long sleeves. Usually brightly patterned for women. Worn with a half-width obi.

half-width obi - usually about 10-15 cm wide, it's as long as a normal obi (about 4 meters/13 feet). Usually worn with yukata, it's also worn underneath the hakama for women to give the hakama ties some support.

obi - usually 30 cm wide, but worn folded in half (which is why it looks the same width as a half-obi). Worn by women, but not with hakama. Many varieties. The usual length is about 4 m long. Obi is usually worn fairly high on women; the younger the girl, the higher the obi, usually (right up under the bust).

mens obi - same length as womens, I believe, but it's much thinner, only about 5-7 cm. It's worn low on males (if they have a belly, it's under the belly). I don't know much about this, since I'm not a guy and I don't have men's obi or kimono.

The hitatare mentioned in a previous post is a mostly Heian era garment. It differs from the kimono in that it's shorter, is worn on top of the kimono with special matching hakama, sometimes has longer sleeves, and has a ribbon at the sleeve ends that can make the ends bunch up (similar to Sai from Hikaru no go, but different piece of clothing).

It's only because I take lessons and am really interested in it that I'm more of a stickler for proper terminology, that's all (and even then I'm not so hardcore to know all the Japanese names for all the parts on a kimono or anything, just the basic names of the pieces). I don't mean to come across like a b*tch or anything. ^^; If you know the proper terms, you can inform others when they ask about your costume. I do admire those who do do research for their costumes; I think it's essential. I just want to help you (and everyone else) along.

The basic Shinigami uniform is a white juban (underkimono), a black kimono and black andonbakama (split-leg hakama). You would need 1 sash for the juban and a men's obi for the kimono. For how to tie it, search this thread, as I have attached images on how to wear men's kimono and hakama. The white tie on top is extra detail to hold the sword. And then tabi and all your other accessories, of course. ^^