PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom Hearts 2 "Unknown" Trenchcoat

Legato2471
10-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Otakon is a short 10 months away, and I want to make a Hooded trenchcoat like the ones worn by the Unknowns in Kingdom Hearts 2. They sell them on www.abbyshot.com but being 15, I don't have that kind of money. The hardest part seems to be the hood which is "deep" to hide the face but doesn;t slump down. I need to know a way to get my hood from slumping over and any suggestions for fabric to use or a pattern I could modify into this would be of great help.

Some links to pictures of these coats are...

http://kh-2.net/?x=images/premiere (The top 4)

http://www.kingdomhearts2.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=299

http://www.kingdomhearts2.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=182 (good side view)

Thanks for helping. IM me at Legato2471

Stahr*chan
10-05-2004, 01:34 AM
well, first off ... study the abbyshots coat and draw up all the seems, how its constructed, all that jazz :3 i can help you with this all, and my mom should know how to make patterns, or what kind of pattern to edit n_n
( i REALLY hope you make this, im gonna be going to Otakon to ... can anyone say stalker? xD )

Legato2471
10-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Cool. If you go as a Kingdom Hearts character you could meet up with my group and cosplay with us. So far we have a Sora, Axel and I am being a DWU. My mom's friend is making "sora" and I keyblades for our costumes after I draw and cut out cardboard stencils for him to follow. I've been studying the pictures and printing like crazy. My IM is Legato2471. So feel free to IM me anytime.

TwiliteSea
10-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I'm gonna either save up some money to buy AbbyShot's coat or ask for it as a Christmas present since I wanna cosplay as Vixen or Lakinsu someday.
Buying the coat rather than making it because A. I wanna support AbbyShot B.if I made the coat, it would look like crap ><

Legato2471
10-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I will be starting to draw up designs for my trenchcoat soon and need to know where I can buy black pleather with no designs or anything like that on it. With Halloween coming up, fabric stores are putting out more stuff but I can't find any.

Ryuu Tenshi
10-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm wondering a couple things:

First, what are your opinions on using a non-shiny material for the trench? For my bro's costume (Axel, the red haired guy), I have been considering using a hoodie-type sweater material, since 1. it's cheap, and easy to work with and 2. In-game, the coats don't look as shiny.
How expensive is pleather anyway, and how easy is it to work with on a normal sewing machine? I don't want to make this costume cost too much money, as my bro's growing REAL fast (he's 14, so that should tell you something :rolleyes: )

Second, where can I get some of the beads? I was considering emailing Abbyshot to ask them where they get theirs.

Third, is it even possible to use enough hair gel/wax to spike one's hair up like Axel's and get it to last through the rigours of a day at a con?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/ryuutenshi/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/ryuutenshi/axelwheels.jpg
^ that is the character

EDIT: Also, for those of you looking for patterns... the particular one I will be using as a base was actually a sorcerer's robe I made a few years back for a Harry Potter type costume. I am needing a new pattern as my brother is a much bigger person than I, but essentially the cut was the same, a flared bottom and a very deep hood with inner lining. The only things I'll need to do are to put on the extra seam-work, get ties for the hood and the beads, a zipper, and to make the sleeves smaller. I suggest looking for these types of patterns at your local fabric store, just search around the Halloween costume section in the Fantasy type catalouges. Some of them are remarkably close and require a minimal amount of modification to get that lovely Unknown look.

Legato2471
10-19-2004, 08:48 PM
I found a shiny material at Walmart. It's called sateen. It's about 2.50 a yard I think. The material itself is pretty thin so it's easy to sew with. It has no water resistence at all though. Pleather is pretty expensive, about 5 to 6 dollars a yard, and since your brother is growing it is better to go for a cheap substitute until he stops growing or the money and effort put into making it will be in vain. I'd look for beads at Joann Fabrics probably. The hardest thing on the costume is the zipper. Since its inverted and there are 2 of them I think.

For the hair. I would suggest buying a wig of some sort. Long hair. Then glue or gel it into place and cut what you dont need.

Ryuu Tenshi
10-23-2004, 10:57 AM
There's only one zipper and it's a double zipper (that is, it has two... runner... things... whatever that part's called)
I'm going to be using a hoodie material. ^_^
I worked out the hair thing, and it seems we can use my bro's natural hair (o.O) as his hair is the right colour.
what I really need to do is figure out how to get the beads/chains for cheap.

Stahr*chan
10-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Ryuu: Thanks SO much on that pattern detail, i was looking through the selection yesterday, but since i have to go back for a waistband interfacing ( sisters petticoat ) i'll check through them again
by any chance happen to have the brand name and pattern number?
and your local fabric store should have metal beads that come pretty close, and for cording, eeerm ,, cant get a good look at that, but if you could probibly look around a hardware store for thin black nylon cording, or just use whatever seems right

Lucifer
10-28-2004, 05:02 AM
1. I wouldn't go with any material except a pleather/vinyl base or possible a heavy nylon. The video clearly shows that water beads off the coat, indicating it is waterproof.

2. Double zippers are avalible at most large joann stores, or you can just sew two zippers in back to back. Either work the same.

3. Check the bead section of your joanns or a michaels, there are silver beads that are sold that look very simular to that of the Unknown.

4. Suave mega hold hair spray does amazing things to real hair as well as most synthetic wigs. Axel's hair would be of no issue with that stuff.

5. I wouldn't recommend buying for abbyshot. Their Unknown jacket is not correct to any particular unknown (stated on the website btw). Plus, you could easily make such a coat for a quarter if not less then what they charge.

Ryuu Tenshi
10-28-2004, 07:15 PM
@ Stahr chan - Simplicity costumes, 0647. Girls and boy's wizard costume. The sizes may be too small though, they're kind of meant as children's costumes. Dunno.

@ Lucifer - I know the coat's waterproof. I don't have a sewing machine that can work with pleather, and I really, really don't want to try working with it. I know how to work with the material I'll be using, and care nothing for the waterproofness. Besides which, Axel's coat isn't reflective in any way, even in the FMV version of him (yes, one exists). I'm gonna stick with what I'm doing, my brother wants it that way anyway, and it's HIS costume
thanks for the hairspray info ^__^ that's very helpful. We'll probably end up using gel and wax, but I think I'll try that hairspray, as it'll probably be less messy in the end.

as to Abbyshot... I'll be buying one of their coats for myself later, not for my brother. The deal is, they are not meant to be costumes at all (really!), they're meant to be actual coats that you like, might actually wear every day, thus they are made to last longer, and hence with more expensive materials. There are really, really good types of pleather, including $90 a yard pleather that's almost exactly like real leather (that isn't what they use: they use a near leather kind that's very sturdy but not quite THAT realistic, more meant to be waterproof. Regardless, it's high quality stuff) Hence the icky price tag. I'm not dumb, I will not be purchasing that coat as a costume, but as something I'm going to wear almost every single freakin day. ^__^

TwiliteSea
10-29-2004, 03:17 PM
The deal is, they are not meant to be costumes at all (really!), they're meant to be actual coats that you like, might actually wear every day, thus they are made to last longer, and hence with more expensive materials.

Exactly! That's AbbyShot's main goal- to sell coats seen in movies, games, etc. that can actually be everyday wear.
So if you want to wear an Unknown coat (or any other coat for that matter) for more than cosplay purposes, I reccomend the AS's Enigma. (Or their "coming soon" Kingdom Hoodie)

Ryuu Tenshi
10-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Exactly! That's AbbyShot's main goal- to sell coats seen in movies, games, etc. that can actually be everyday wear.
So if you want to wear an Unknown coat (or any other coat for that matter) for more than cosplay purposes, I reccomend the AS's Enigma. (Or their "coming soon" Kingdom Hoodie)

Yay! Someone actually agrees with me! ^__^

As to the hoodie... that's definetly more "Everyday wear" than even the actual Enigma. personally, I think that the Enigma is a better investment, as the Kingdom Hoodie is just a run of the mill hoodie with awsome beads, but if you're strapped for cash but still want that oh-so-sexy unknown look, the K Hoodie is definetly the way to go. Ya!

Stahr*chan
11-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Ryuu: Brilliant, thanks, and that dosent matter, as long as i can get the basic shape of the pattern, and how its constructed, i can probibly have my mom help me enlarge the patterns to fit <33

whee, so it looks like im now going to do an unknown coat for Otakon to ~

Ryuu Tenshi
11-05-2004, 02:54 PM
Ryuu: Brilliant, thanks, and that dosent matter, as long as i can get the basic shape of the pattern, and how its constructed, i can probibly have my mom help me enlarge the patterns to fit <33

whee, so it looks like im now going to do an unknown coat for Otakon to ~

We should proly do some sort of get together pose thingy ish. If my bro and I can get our acts together, of course.

Blight
11-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I'll be at Otakon '05 hopefully w/ BM and Fs... we migt work something out. ^_-