PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight for cosplay?

Yana_Neko
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Hopefully I posted this in the correct place ^^;

Anyway, let me explain myself. I used to way a healthy 120 pounds. I was 5'3" and though I was still quite squishy in some areas, since I never ate right or exercised, I was relatively thin and content with myself.

However, about 2 years ago I went on Depo Provera "the shot" as a form of birth control. Since then, I have blown up like a balloon and gained about 50-60 pounds. The women in my family have an exaggerated reaction to certain medications that may contain hormones or steroids. My mom took steroids for her muscles after knee surgery to keep her muscles from becoming weak = She gained a lot of weight. My sister had to take asthma medicine containing steriods as well = She went from being underweight to overweight in a year. So, in other words, I am an idiot and ignored these signs and went on ahead anyway. But now that I feel used up and disgusting after being dumped, I am getting off the birth control and I want my figure back.

Being a cosplayer who makes several new costumes per con, I feel a NEED to lose weight in order to be able to feel like the cosplayer I once was. My most favorite costumes either don't fit or don't look good. Being a crossplayer, I feel like I'd someday like to be the girl for once and look cute and feminine.

So, I need some weight loss advice. On Monday I start going to Curves, an exercise center. I have a gym card and will force myself to go at least 2-3 times a week. But, besides that, what else should I do? What diet works? What tips do you have? I want to lose it all by next year! I need to hussle! Help me ;_;

Jaina Solo
10-07-2004, 12:03 PM
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I use to weigh 129 lbs while I was perfoming in my local circus, and after I went on the birthcontrol pill, I've gained almost 20 lbs. It's quite disheartening, only because I feel all of the pictures taken of me make me look soooooo heavy... As for a diet that seems to work, I've had 2 friends who have had GREAT success using the South Beach diet. One of them was relatively thin in the first place, but the other--who was 170 lbs at her heaviest--is now down to nearly 140 in about 5 months. On top of that, she never felt restricted by what she could and couldn't eat, which I've heard a general consensus feels the same way. Likewise, if you're a motivated person, the diet is relatively easy to stay on and I've heard that once you've lost all the weight you want, it is highly recommended that you get off of the diet (until you need to lose weight again). There are several websites out there that go into great detail, so I bet if you do a google search on the South Beach diet you'll turn up some helpful results.

Eriol
10-07-2004, 12:08 PM
You should consult a doctor and a dietician and nutritionist. There is no one diet that works on all people.

I think you need a doctor to figure out *why* your family is susceptible to certain medications. What is it in the medication that causes the weight gain? Did it change body metabolism? Did it cause people to be more hungry?

Did you also change your eating habits and lifestyle after taking the medication?

There are a lot of factors involved in weight gain and loss.

The main characteristic of weight loss is that you are going to have to burn more calories than you consume.

Parasaurolophus
10-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Exercise is always a good start- try to add some weight training, because more muscle=more fat + calorie burning! (and no, you won't "bulk up"; weight lifting is good for you!)
As for diet changes, if you are careful, you don't have to go on a "diet"-- just become more aware about what you put in your mouth, and make some shifts in what you eat. Increasing the amount of nuts, fruits, veggies, whole grains and beans in your diet can do wonders.

When snacking, try to pair a protien with carbohydrate- say low fat yogurt with granola, or carrots with some peanut butter, or a handful of nuts. Instead of white bread, eat whole wheat, and switch it up with pita or multi grain.

EAT Breakfast! To prevent yourself from getting ravenously hungry, eat healthy snacks in between your meals. I've found that I eat much less junk food when i surround myself by yummy healthy stuff- and i often switch it up, so it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet. If you do it right, you won't be making a temporary change, but a lifestyle change!

Hopefully that didn't sound too preachy- pm or respond if you have specific questions about diet or exercise. I make no claim as a nutritionist, but I'm not often hungry, and feel pretty lean right now.

[edit] separated some of the paragraphs for legibility

Yana_Neko
10-07-2004, 12:15 PM
You should consult a doctor and a dietician and nutritionist. There is no one diet that works on all people.

I think you need a doctor to figure out *why* your family is susceptible to certain medications. What is it in the medication that causes the weight gain? Did it change body metabolism? Did it cause people to be more hungry?

Did you also change your eating habits and lifestyle after taking the medication?

There are a lot of factors involved in weight gain and loss.

That's a good point. I don't believe I eat anymore than I once did. I really see no reason besides the birth control as to why I gained so much weight so quickly. I mean, 50-60 pounds in two years isn't healthy or normal weight gain, in my opinion. And my sister is only 14 and is over 200 pounds, when she was a twig before getting asthma.

It seems like a very good idea to consult a doctor. Thank you ^_^

Scrapped Neko
10-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't recommend any diet that makes you cut out any food group. The problem with Atkins and the like, is that most people put back on the weight they've lost once they return to a normal diet.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is through exercise and diet modifications. I should know, I lost 85 pounds in two years and I've never counted a single carb in my entire life. I simply cut back on my calorie intake (I try to stay at about 1200 cals a day) and exercised my butt off (literally). Exercise is the most important part. Especially toning exercises, because without them you run the risk of having loose skin after all the weight is gone. Jogging/speed walking are the best as far as cardio goes. They work most of the major muscle groups, and get your heart pumping.
Also, be sure to take a multi-vitamin and drink more water than you thought was humanly possible.

Eriol
10-07-2004, 12:28 PM
That's a good point. I don't believe I eat anymore than I once did. I really see no reason besides the birth control as to why I gained so much weight so quickly. I mean, 50-60 pounds in two years isn't healthy or normal weight gain, in my opinion. And my sister is only 14 and is over 200 pounds, when she was a twig before getting asthma.

It seems like a very good idea to consult a doctor. Thank you ^_^

Seriously, if you can afford to see a doctor, please do so (some people can't afford it or refuse to go see a doctor). If it really is that birth control (and your family general reaction to steroidal medication and hormone injections), your family has got to stop using them AND report them to the doctor when the doctor tries to prescribe such things. You should ask the doctor if such medications have weight gain as side effects.

There are medications out there that do mess with the body's metabolism, so if weight gain is something you don't want, always seek medications that don't have that as a side effect.

One other general advice. This won't help you lose weight fast or anything, but it will keep your metabolism going. Do weight lifting. You don't need to get a bodybuilder's body, but having more muscle mass helps with the metabolism.
Muscle consume calories simply to maintain itself, so having more muscles will help the body burn more calories, even if you aren't exercising.

ladysubaru25
10-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Hey, I started a thread about this at the start of the cosplay season, (when I first tried South Beach) and it became uber-popular, and really took on a life of its own. It has been inactive for a few months though, and I am not about to bump it. But there are a buttload of posts about diet/exercise in it, and you should take a look if you want.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32551

Hinataheights
10-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Baked chicken is loaded with protein and good for boosting muscle mass.

Tip: It's ideal to workout in the morning as opposed to night. Your body has to slowly wind down. You essentially burn more fat ALL DAY if you work out first thing when you wake up. It's harder at night when you've worked all day and aren't motivated.

A cardio only routine will help trim fat and avoid buffing up (so to speak).

Swimming is an excellent source of cardio and especially for "under arm fat".

Stretching is important regardless of how boring it is. End of story.

SailorMoonStar
10-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Drink lots and lots of water. Fruit 2 O or different flavors of sparkling water works (the one with no calories or anything else for that matter).

Hime no Toki
10-07-2004, 01:09 PM
I agree with Eriol, it's probably a good idea to start out by seeing a dietician or your doctor. Since this seems to be linked to heredity, dieting and exercising might not be the right answer, at least not now. Best to get advice from someone who really knows what they are doing, and to diagnose what might be the problem and nip it in the bud. I personally have never gone on birth control, as I have no reason to...^^; But my sister is on it and has no problems, so I don't think it's in my own genes to have a reaction from it.

In the meantime, try to find a diet that works for you and do your research. I have heard good things about the South Beach diet, my dad was on Atkins and he lost about 30 lbs in two months. Of course, you have to stay very strict and keep on the diet, or else you risk gaining it all back later on. =/ I myself have never had to worry about weight problems, if anything I have a wicked fast matabolism and haven't gained or lost a pound in about 7 years. But everyone is different. Hopefully you can find what works for YOU, as an individual. But don't lose the weight for something like cosplay, do it for yourself. You shouldn't be concerned about how you look in a costume, after all, it's for fun! ^^

*~Hime no Toki~*

Flippy
10-07-2004, 01:24 PM
^Drink water yes! Most of the time that you think you are hungry you are actually just dehydraded. It's not like it's gonna hurt to carry a water bottle with you.

Also if you drink soda, cut back....so many of my friends are good eatters but they drink way to much soda and that's alot of wasted sugar. Many of them have lost weight just by consuming less. Try drinking the half size cans if I really want some thing to drink rather than grabing a diet soda which is also unhealthy for other reasons.

Just try to eat normal and don't put you self on a "diet"; it's an evil and misunderstood word. Most people that put themselves on exceivily anal diets end up not being able to handle it and gain their weight back again. So just cut out the little things or have them every once and a while....like soda. Also try infusing new things into your life......like water and doing a varity of execises.

By the way anime characters are normally so unbelievably out of proportion that don't expect to be their figure......make the costume......be happy... and don't try to be the characters body double or you'll just kill yourself......and if you die you can't cosplay...right? So don't kill your self over it.

Kaijugal
10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Depo Provera ah yes. What they don't tell you when they offer it to you is that the hormones are tricking your body into thinking it's already pregnant and so your body reacts on that information. Stockpiling fat is one of these side effects.

If you have a thrifty genotype you're bound to retain some of that weight without serious amounts of exercise. It's a pain. And it only gets harder as you get older.

Good Luck with your goals. :)

Miaka No Baka
10-07-2004, 01:39 PM
If it's the birthconrol affecting the weight gain definately speak to your doctor. There are lower dosage medicines out there that are just as affective but don't give you so much estrogen and what not so it might help stop you from putting a lot of weight on. Also keep an eye out on how much you exactly eat and keep an eye on what actually is considered 1 portion. A lot of times it's easy to eat 4+ portions worth of food without even realizing it. So check food labels and if it says 2 cookies is 1 serving then keep that in mind. Also when going food shopping it does pay to shop around. Don't just pick a certain brand cause it's your favorite if you look at different boxes you can find some can provide fewer calories and even give you more food per serving than other brands.

Also too non fat also means high sugar. So do check labels carefully too cause while u might be saving on not eating so much fat but you are adding tons of sugar which turns into fat anyways.... Also if you drink soda stop cause you are putting extra calories which you don't need to do. A lot of people don't realize they drink a huge portion of their daily calorie intake.

Miaka no Baka

Lengis
10-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Hmm, I know a way to get around this problem. How about....

Not having sex, or using condoms instead so you don't have to use birthcontrol?! \o/

I'm a genius!

Eriol
10-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Do not just lower fat content. You actually need a little grease/fat, because a chemical in fat signals to the stomach that you're full. Some people, however, don't properly get that signal, but that becomes a medical problem at that point.

Yana_Neko
10-07-2004, 02:18 PM

Not having sex, or using condoms instead so you don't have to use birthcontrol?! \o/

I'm a genius!

Well, if you had read my post correctly, you would have read this: "But now that I feel used up and disgusting after being dumped, I am getting off the birth control and I want my figure back."

Obviously, you aren't much of a genius if you can't read. And if you were as bright as you claim to be, you'd know that safe sex means being on birth control rather than simply using a condom. Condoms break.

And whether I had sex or not isn't really up to anyone but me, now is it? I am asking for weight loss tips, not some sex lecture.

Maryssa
10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
One option is actually either switching or going off the birth control... I tried dieting and exercising like crazy since i gained 20lbs from my pills and it did absolutely nothing. I immediately lost a little bit of weight when I went off them.

Yana_Neko
10-07-2004, 02:27 PM
One option is actually either switching or going off the birth control... I tried dieting and exercising like crazy since i gained 20lbs from my pills and it did absolutely nothing. I immediately lost a little bit of weight when I went off them.

Hopefully I'll lose some weight since I won't be receiving my shot this month or ever again, for that matter. Depo Provera may stay in one's system for up to 1 year, however. Which is utterly depressing. I hear that the side effects of the pill are much less extreme than that of the shot, so if I ever need to go on birth control again in the future, I'll probably look into the pill.

I saw you at AM, Maryssa, and you have a beautiful figure. Jealous! ^_^

Michi
10-07-2004, 02:31 PM
It's funny because.. I was really skinny before I went on BC, like.. icky bony.. just because of my metabolism. When I started taking it, with the weight gain my figure actually filled out and I look much better and more healthy now. XD Especially because I was exercising quite a bit around the time I started taking them, so that probably helped too. I can tell in pictures of me in costume from last year versus this year. I have pictures of me as Kasumi from Fanime 2003 where I just look kinda sickly and icky, and then pictures from Anime Expo 2004 where I actually have the curvy and mature look for the character. It's sooo nice.

But as for losing weight, honestly.. exercise seems to work. When I was gaining the weight on birth control I seemed to even it out into a nice figure by exercising at the same time. I gained curves AND toned abs. All I was doing was a run around the block every day followed by situps/crunches, leg raises for lower abs, and then sometimes even some weights.. ^^; I did around 100-150 of everything aside from the weights.. It worked really well and I felt really good about myself, even though with my metabolism I probably didn't even need to work that hard. @_@

Best of luck to you. ^^;; I really enjoy your cosplay. ;.;

dagmarus
10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Right now I am on a diet of 2 Apples of Day and an 8 inch ham and roast beef sandwich with no condiments or anything from Jimmy John's. Couple that with walking 4 miles a day and it's doing pretty well. I haven't weighed myself, but when I look in the mirror, my gut has begun to go away. If I am hit with a really bad craving, I just grab an apple and I'm good to go.

Chukkie
10-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Do not just lower fat content. You actually need a little grease/fat, because a chemical in fat signals to the stomach that your're full. Some people, however, don't properly get that signal, but that becomes a medical problem at that point.
:confused: Serious? No wonder those fat free pretzels never filled me up.

My advice:The little things can mean big. Something that I like to do is drink fruit juice instead of soda or tea. When I drink the juice, I water it down to 1 part juice and 3 parts water. Still tastes good to me. I also walk anywhere thats less than 4 miles from where I'm located. Also, parking at the end of the lot is alot safer than the front anyways. Another thing, when your at the gym, don't use the tredmills. Instead use those jogging machines where your legs move in a circular motion. Jogging on a treadmill or a road puts strain on your leg joints and your back. Also when I jog on those machines I like to listen to a CD or anime soundtrack that pumps me up, it helps me keep going. My last piece of advice is get a support. Have a friend or family member who is active or wants to be active go to the gym with you to give you motivation to keep pushing yourself. My brother tricked his friend into going into martial arts with him and I go to the gym all the time with his friend. After two years he went from fat and squishy, to "If I was gay, I'd do him"

Senko-chan
10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't suggest doing alot of running, running actually messes up your spine. I suggest eating healthy meals 3 times a day. You're stomache only needs food the size of your fist to stay healthy ^_^. Walking/jogging and alittle bit of running. easy things such as crunches build up ab-muscles and gives you a flat stomache and stuff.Kick boxing is also awesome exersise VERY exausting, but very good for exersise. There is also this thing called the Water Diet. You dont just drink water and not eat, when you eat your meals you just only drink water and cut out other drinks, it's effective because water doesn't have calories to turn into fat. ^_^;; I'm very into martial arts and exersise... ^_^;;
If you have any questions feel free to pm or i.m. me ^_^

Tentacle_Guy
10-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Since there have already been some good ideas put forth, I'm just going to point to weight watchers as a very balanced and healty method of loosing weight. No fad diets of eating nothing but pensil erasers or anything, just a system for helping you control portions and eating healtier. Also, there is a lot of moral support avalable at the weekly classes.

Personally, I wish you the best in this. It's a tough road, made all that much harder by people who mean well, but don't understand what it's like to be overweight. When you make it down to your ideal weight though, you're going to realize it was all worth it.

+Belial+
10-07-2004, 03:34 PM
ehhhhh

thats not a huge pro
^.^
i think u should just drink lots ....lots of water each day~
and also eat less fat food and friuts too of course..>.<

u will get there >.<

work out too if itz ness.!
plz see doctor if pro occurs >.,

hope

_Mandy_
10-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Well, if you're REALLY into the weight loss thing, and stuff I'm recommending joing Weight Watchers. My mother, aunt, and grandmother all go, and all three have lost tons of weight. My mom's lost close to 40 lbs...not quite sure on my other family members. But the diet works REALLY well. All you have to do is keep track of the points you eat (and if something isn't listed in their book there's a little thing you can use to figure it out using the nutritional facts). You even have "Flex-Points" which means if you go past your point amount for the day, you can use however many Flex-Points you need to make up for it. But you only have a certain amount of those per week.

Lots of water helps too. And staying away from junk food and stuff is always a good thing.

Miaka No Baka
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
the reason why water is so impoartant when dieting is that it causes the body to metabolize faster to help boost your success rate at burning excess fat. I can tell on days when I don't drink enough i weigh a pound or two heavier but when i drink lots i'll notice i either stay at my lower weight or even lose a pound or two.

Miaka no Baka

Mew_Pudding
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Ok, I`ve personaly been having lots of problems with my weight, I was on and off with bulimia and I`m having anorexia problems as well. I currently see a dietician at the hospital, and here`s some advice:
First of all, make sure that what you do is healthy. My dietician says that your body needs at least 1500 calories to function. (Which I though sounded like alot too! ) But, are you sure you really need to loose weight? And why? Make sure it`s for yourself and not anyone else! Drink water and exercise! (DDR! ^_^) Pills can do that to you! They are ebil!
Good Luck!!

Eriol
10-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Do not just lower fat content. You actually need a little grease/fat, because a chemical in fat signals to the stomach that your're full. Some people, however, don't properly get that signal, but that becomes a medical problem at that point.
:confused: Serious? No wonder those fat free pretzels never filled me up.

Yes. You should be able to find general information online or in health/medical books. There is a chemical in fat that apparently does send a signal to the stomach and sebsequently your brain to you that you are full.

My advice:The little things can mean big. Something that I like to do is drink fruit juice instead of soda or tea. When I drink the juice, I water it down to 1 part juice and 3 parts water.

100% fruit juice is better than soda, but fruit juice still has a lot of calories per serving (i.e. natural sugars). Better than 100% fruit juice is freshly squeezed juice. Freshly squeezed juice isn't as concentrated in sugar/calories as the juices you buy from the store.

And as people have been saying, nothing beats water. Unflavored water has virtually no calories and helps with digestion and waste removal.

Running is a good cardiovascular exercise, but unless it is done properly, you end up not only hurting your spine, but you can wear out your knee joints. You have cartilage in your knees, and sustained impact to that area wears it out. You can't regrow cartilage, so by the time you're older, you will find your knees may be shot.

FDA numbers call for an average of 2000 calories per day maximum for an person of average build. Since this number is so general, you should talk to a nutrionist/dietician/doctor to develop a program. Weight watchers and other food meal programs work on the same priinciple of calorie counting.

By the way, the "calories" used in food measurements is actually kilocalories in physics. So, you are actually consuming a lot of energy that you need to use. (i.e. 2000 "calories" is 2000 kilocalories)

For those who exercise a lot, eat well, but have weight loss trouble, other things to consider.

1) Genetics: Your family may be predisposed to a certain weight range. It becomes much harder to maintain a weight that is not in the weight range of your family.

2) For women, it is ill-advised to go for a model-like body (i.e. the thin ones). That body type is apparently too skinny and unhealthy.

3) If you're doing everything right, but nothing works, ask your doctor about the thyroid. The thyroid also regulates your metabolism and if it is not functioning well, that also affects your weight. Thyroid problems are not very common supposedly, so don't assume that immediately, but it's an avenue to explore with your doctor.

4) High fructose corn syrup is bad. (it's not natural sugar)

5) If the first 2 ingredients in a food nutritional label is sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or something sugary, it is bad. The first ingredients listed are the most plentiful in that food product.

Disclaimer: Always seek professional medical or nutrional care. Information presented here should not be construed as solid medical advice. Everybody has unique dietary and athletic needs. Your mileage may vary.

wulfmune
10-07-2004, 04:52 PM
as i start to get older, my eating habits hadn't really changed since i was in school and now that i work at home everyday i had gained some weight over the course of 2 years.

i recently got disgusted with myself (feeling sluggish for the most part) and decided to cut out caffiene and any drinks but water, greentea and skim milk. i started to lose weight almost immediately. i walk a couple times a day, eat more slowly and drink alot. i find that i realize im full with smaller portions that i used to. its funny because, rather than deprieve myself, i feel i actually enjoy food more now, because i've slowed down to appreciate subtle flavors. i don't really get really hungry, and i don't get really full. my stomach is in constant comfort zone ^^;; i'm back to my lowest weight, and pretty much staying the same now.

i feel much more energetic now, i'm less prone to small sicknesses like colds and stuff. nothing in my routine has really changed and i don't find myself "craving" anything that i can't eat. everything in moderation i think.

Littlest Washuu
10-07-2004, 05:06 PM

I'm a genius!

:angry: A lot of people take birth control for other medical reasons than birth control, I should know I'm one of them. We don't all take birth control so we can run around like a bunch of hoochie mommas.

Anyways back to the topic at hand...

I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to lose 50 lbs by next con season (about 8 months from now) and the best suggestion I have is doing what most doctors will tell you... limit your caloric intake and increase the amount of calories you burn. I've just started walking on the treadmil for 30-45 min every morning before school/work and cut out all the sodas I used to drink and replaced them with water and I've lost 6 lbs in the last month. I know its not much, but I'm not really exercising a lot more than I was before.

Just remember 2 things :

1. Water is your friend! Drink at least 8 servings a day, instead of sodas/juice.

2. After loosing some weight your body will hit a stop point for a while and you won't loose any weight for a period of time. Don't give up and for heaven's sake don't starve yourself! Just keep exercising and you'll start to loose weight again.

Hope that helps :D
Feel free to PM me if you want a weight loss buddy.:)

Solaria
10-07-2004, 05:34 PM
:angry: A lot of people take birth control for other medical reasons than birth control, I should know I'm one of them. We don't all take birth control so we can run around like a bunch of hoochie mommas.

True, true. I used to be on a very low dose for skin problems, as have several of my friends.

But if you do want to get back on birth control, try the pills. I didn't have any noticeable weight gain aside from the fact that I was a teenager and still growing at the time.

HealerKou
10-07-2004, 06:00 PM

I'm a genius!

That's funny, since most women start on birth control to make sure their period is on a schedule, and to make the cramps more tolerable. That's why I started 4 years ago. When you have cramps that put you completely out of commission for 3 days every month, you'll try anything. And I was a virgin at the time, and for a decent amount of time afterwards. But I guess you didn't know that, since anyone on BC is apparently a SEX FIEND!

Rude, much?

ANYWAY, back on schedule here, I'm thinking that maybe the shot was not the method for you. There are pills now with very low hormones, and that might have been better. But since it's over and done with, you definitely just want to exercise (because that's good for you, anyway) and eat 3 balanced meals a day. The best thing to do is have a set time that you can eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then have the time afterwards to digest it. A lot of people snack here and there throughout the day and only eat 2 actual meals (guilty as charged), but that's probably the worst thing you can do. And don't eat dinner right before going to sleep.

Zephyrs
10-07-2004, 06:08 PM
I know for myself, if I can't get down to X weight by the end of the month on my own (no worries, it's not an unhealthy amount of weight to lose per week, I just hate mentioning numbers) I'm going to go to Weight Watchers. As someone who's been down the eating disorder road before, I really don't want to go back just so I can look "hot" in a costume. I've heard alot of good things about it, so I'm going for it.

Hideki-san
10-07-2004, 06:09 PM
k... I confirmed again that the many people are wildly excited to the diet. ^ 0^;
Good luck for your dieting, but don't do that too much.
The diet which is unreasonable is a possibility of decreasing a hindrance healthily.
And defending your weight for long time is importance, too.

Lorelei
10-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Just as a note, the South Beach diet is great =) My parents are on it... though my dad calls it the "South B*tch", he's lost 12 pounds in three weeks. My mom has lost 16 in the same time period. So... yeah.

*may go on it just for the heck of it* I'm feeling kinda... unfit at 138... I lost about 10 pounds a few weeks ago, but about 8 of them came back randomly for no reason. Blaaaaaaah.

Zephyrs
10-07-2004, 07:10 PM
I did South Beach for a while... lost 10 pounds, then got REALLY SICK from it... gradually gained the 10 back but now they're off again and I'm doing things the balanced way from now on.

procrastinator
10-07-2004, 07:45 PM
When I went on the pill I gained a ton of weight, because it was making me eat a ton more than usual, but I didn't notice that I was. Once I got off of it, my weight went down to normal. I think it's kind of normal to gain weight while on the pill, but I would reccommend eating the generic "healthy" diet with lots of salads and stuff until you get down to your desired weight. Also, I cut out desert from my diet and have found it effective. Not that i don't eat sweets, I just eat them less frequently.

kagehikari
10-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Consult a physician.

This cannot be stressed enough. If you don't have the money, put a cosplay project on hold and use that money. Your body and health are far more important than cosplay. Clinics are usually low-cost and have good doctors. I pay $40 per clinic visit, and that's because I don't have health insurance. It's worth it. Do it.

Secondly, don't try to lose weight because you feel it'll make you a better cosplayer, or because you feel like you NEED to to cosplay.

If you want to lose weight, really and truly, do it for YOU. You don't need an excuse to want to feel better about yourself. In fact, reasons why you NEED to lose weight often hamper you, psychologically, from actually losing said weight.

That said. Consult your physician. S/he will probably suggest a balanced diet with a healthy amount of excercise.

Don't be discouraged if you don't shed the pounds quickly. Just keep at it. Living heathly usually leads to slow weight loss, but keeping that lost weight off longer.

Also, you might want to aim your diet and excercise less toward losing weight, and more toward toning. That'll lose you some weight and lots of inches, and give you more strength.

Shinigami_Mimi
10-07-2004, 07:57 PM
Omg. XD I know how the person feels. I am trying to loss more weight know for most of my crossplays since Japanese guys are skinny, but like normal skinny. XD Lol. Anyways, basically in order to lose tons of weight yes it's excercise. ^^ If you take up a sport it majorly helps, especially in the summertime. Like I took tennis and it was fun and great for losing weight. XD Lol. Or you could always do workout videos. ^^ They help tons too. Just trying to keep up with them is the problem. XD

But from what I heard if you do consider working out rumors say you stop growing. O.o;; I don't know if it's true or not.

Chibi Plush Toy
10-07-2004, 08:58 PM
eee...i eat meal replacement bars (not necessarily slim fast), do 100 situps on a pilates ball, and go to the gym (not killing myself...some obstacle course program) that's how i'd handle it..
Cut back on the carbs and soda pop.

Malicious
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Just as a note, the South Beach diet is great =) My parents are on it... though my dad calls it the "South B*tch"
LMAO!!!!AHAHAHAHAHHAHA.......that's so funny....south b*tch......

well...alot of people say playng DDR helps u lose weight U_U;
i've been playing since january...all it did for me was trim my thighs. but it keeps ur stamina up. so with that....do whatever u want

Eriol
10-07-2004, 09:55 PM
well...alot of people say playng DDR helps u lose weight U_U;
i've been playing since january...all it did for me was trim my thighs. but it keeps ur stamina up. so with that....do whatever u want

DDR really only helps your legs. It'll burn calories, but it's not the most efficient way to do so. Also, because there is a lot of jumping, you're more likely to wear out your knees. You may be better off on a bicycle or elliptical machine for 30 minutes and burn just as many calories.

HealerKou
10-07-2004, 10:12 PM
You guys are making me feel like the laziest and most disgusting bum on earth right now :P Ya'll have diets and workouts and crap...and I just ate a "Pizza Melt" from Domino's. *sigh* Guess I should get with the program, too.

Eriol
10-08-2004, 12:02 AM
You guys are making me feel like the laziest and most disgusting bum on earth right now :P Ya'll have diets and workouts and crap...and I just ate a "Pizza Melt" from Domino's. *sigh* Guess I should get with the program, too.

I think some people here would love to have your metabolism. You look great!

Some people are blessed with an incredibly high metabolism, so they don't need to exercise a lot or restrict their dietary intake.

procrastinator
10-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Well, I don't work out, so don't feel lazy! I mean, I know I should, but I don't. I guess my body is OK unless I'm gonna cosplay some spandex-clad character who needs to be toned everywhere.
I try to eat healthy and so far it's been working for me. I'd eat a Pizza Melt and not feel bad; just try to eat a salad or something at another meal to balance it out.
The main thing is, just get off the pill and you'll go down. It might take a few months, but I'm back where I started (110) after getting off the pill... when I was on it I was 130-140ish. The hormones mess with ya.

☆Skull Rabbit☆
10-08-2004, 12:46 AM
aha I wish I had high metabolism :( I like food so much :D today I ate chicken fingers, pizza, cake, pepsi, candies, etc. Its so yummy :( I never want to give it up but I also dont want to end up like my little sister, she weights 185 or so and she is maybe 5'3-4?? :O

but really I don't know whats wrong with my weight :D everyone always thinks maybe I am 120-130 when I really am maybe 145-150 and 155 cm tall lol~~ and I do excercise, walk to and from school 30-40 min each way, work 5 hours a day usually on the days I work (standing, walking, cleaning, etc) and I dance Para Para and do DDR so I must have extremely slow metab XD

Lengis
10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
>>>>>>>there is a reason why the bread group is the largest on the food pyramid.

It's not anymore. There's a new pyramid out there, science gets revised you know, it's not like religion. I'm not saying carbs just be cut out entirely, I'm saying they should be reduced. There's a difference.

Luna Hoshino
10-08-2004, 11:49 AM
As a college student, I know I don't get anywhere near the amount of exercise that I should, but I manage to stay pretty slender anyway... a large part of that is probably due to the fact that I've dropped soda from my diet almost entirely. Oh sure, I'll have one once in a while if I'm really craving it, but most of the time I drink water. It's a lot better for you anyway.

Food-wise, if you cut down on portion size and start eating healthier foods, you'll actually find that it takes less food to fill you up. It's ridiculous how blown out of proportion portion sizes have become these days. x_x

But by the same token, it's okay to splurge once in a while. If you're really craving a piece of cake, go for it. Just don't do it too often. You'll find that if you satisfy a craving for a specific food, you'll be less likely to snack on other things in its place. Everything in moderation is my rule.

I'm also fairly fidgety, which I suspect helps burn more calories than even I realize. ^^;;

I'm about 5'3" and 115 lbs last I checked, which... was this afternoon, actually. ^^;

Eriol
10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Doctors, trainers, and nutritionists also seem to be advising people to eat more often. Instead of 3 meals, it is suggested people try to eat very small meals 5 to 7 times a day.

This is to keep the metabolism running constantly, rather than having the body build up to eat large meals.

AnimegirlParnaz
10-08-2004, 01:19 PM
When I was a kid I was boned skinny, and underweight because I was really short. Well ever since I started going to college, I had an issue with my weight. I've have starved myself for a few days to lose the weight. While I was working out to wear my Talim costume for AX04, I starved myself, and I admit once in a while I still do it. The main reason is that being petite I'm feel like I'm fat and not attractive, epecially when I'm cosplaying at a con. I have lately watched what I eat,drink a lot of water, and I'm starting to exercise again(afterAX04 I just got lazy lol). :p

HealerKou
10-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Also, I want to point out that there's a HUGE difference between being thin and being HEALTHY. For example, I'm naturally thin (and very short, but that's a different complaint) but that doesn't mean I couldn't have high cholesterol, heart problems, etc. Also, being "skinny" doesn't mean the same thing as being "toned." And if heart disease or high cholesterol or high blood pressure run in your family, you DEFINITELY have to be more careful about what you eat.

Yay to being healthy! Boo to being sick and yucky! ;___;

Michi
10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Also, I want to point out that there's a HUGE difference between being thin and being HEALTHY. For example, I'm naturally thin (and very short, but that's a different complaint) but that doesn't mean I couldn't have high cholesterol, heart problems, etc. Also, being "skinny" doesn't mean the same thing as being "toned." And if heart disease or high cholesterol or high blood pressure run in your family, you DEFINITELY have to be more careful about what you eat.

Yay to being healthy! Boo to being sick and yucky! ;___;

Yeah, exactly. I stayed thin for the longest time just because of my metabolism, but like I said I was just bony and not very healthy. I once got so thin my mom noticed my face looked really sickly. X_x Birth control helped me gain a bit of weight to fill myself out, but I was also exercising to keep healthy and have some tone to my body. Okay, I already said that, but I'm emphasizing the exercise part now. It also makes you feel really good and energetic when you exercise enough. ^_^ I love it. I'm much happier with my body now than I was when I was just skinny. *pets abs* n.n It wasn't that hard to work for, either. I'm proud. Yay. :X

Zephyrs
10-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Also, the opposite happens too, the metabolism kicks in out of nowhere. I had a horrible metabolism thanks to I'm not sure what, I was 40 pounds overweight for a crazy long time and dieting simply didn't do ANYTHING. Even not eating at all didn't help (and yes, I know that was dumb and yes, I was young) Last spring, out of nowhere my metabolism suddenly turned on and I've gradually lost 30 pounds by not really changing anything, since I was already dieting since the beginning and exercising.

Go figure.

Serria
10-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I know something that really helps most people I've talked to is cutting soda. My brother cut it and lost ten pounds in two weeks. I wish I could cut soda... but I never drank it in the first place. XD Soda is FULL of sugar, carbs, calories, you name it. I don't know if this is true, but I've also heard that diet pop isn't good for you, either. Something about lowering your metabolism... I'm not sure if that's true, so don't quote me.

I know that DDR isn't the best excercise machine around, but I recammend it because it's, well, fun. It keeps your interest, which is good. I recammend ANY excercise that keeps your interest, because then you're more likely to do it. Or do a martial art or something. ^_^

I tend to be really paranoid about my weight, like most girls my age. But to say something as a general note - starving yourself isn't the answer. If you don't eat for a few days, you'll loose a good ten pounds right away, but then the weight will go off more slowly, because your metabolism is slowing. Then when you start eating again, you'll gain it all back and more.

But I'm far from an expert on weight... hope this helped, anyway.

Enola
10-08-2004, 04:41 PM
I can't give you any tips on a diet, as the only thing I care about is fitting in my clothes. If they get too tight, I either take some herbal pills to speed up my metabolism (which is ridiculously slow), or I cut back on eating sweets, depending on what I think caused it.

But I do have something about anticonception you might find intresting; I used to take the pills and had alot of trouble with the side effects (gained some weigth, suddenly got huge amount of acne, low bloodpressure got even lower, crap like that). My doctor didn't want me to change to heavier pills or the shots variants, because the light kind was already throwing me off so easily, so she gave me some tips about alternatives. I currently use something commonly called vaginal rings; it's some plastic ring (duh) you insert like a tampon. It stays there for 3 weeks, then a ringfree week, then a new one.
Same price as the pills, but alot handier (I often forgot to take a pill x_x), and I've yet to experience unpleasant side effects.
The best thing about it is that I can practically time my period to the minute (and be properly prepared for it if I can't be home at that moment), and it always begins and ends in the ringfree week.
I'll stop blabbering now; I'm sorry I couldn't help you much.

Eriol
10-08-2004, 04:53 PM
My doctor didn't want me to change to heavier pills or the shots variants, because the light kind was already throwing me off so easily, so she gave me some tips about alternatives. I currently use something commonly called vaginal rings; it's some plastic ring (duh) you insert like a tampon. It stays there for 3 weeks, then a ringfree week, then a new one.
Same price as the pills, but alot handier (I often forgot to take a pill x_x), and I've yet to experience unpleasant side effects.

You missed some earlier posts, but that's ok heh. For some people, this topic wasn't about using birth control pills as contraceptives. Some were using the pills to correct a hormonal imbalance in their bodies. The ring is one of many contraceptives if a female is trying to avoid pregnancy, but it won't help with pre-existing hormonal imbalances.

Claireon
10-08-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but Yana_Neko, you said you go to Curves to work out. You should just be aware that the Curves fitness chain financially supports anti-abortion groups. Here are a couple links about it:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/9818187.htm?1c
http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/curves.asp

If it's not something that's against your beliefs or bothers you, then whatever, but people who go there should be aware of it in any case.

As for weight loss . . . I don't have much to say except that it's a demonstrated fact that your enjoyment of a food drops drastically after the first few bites. So that's something to keep in mind to pry yourself off of something bad. :p

Hideki-san
10-08-2004, 10:36 PM
All of fastfoods are least 200kcal, include the high Fat.

Big Mac, McDonald's - 229.0kcal

Cheeseburger, Burger King - 269.0kcal

Chicken Drumsticks, Extra Crispy, Kentucky Fried Chicken - 235.0kcal

Hamburger, McDonald's - 235.0kcal

Pizza, Deluxe, 9.5", Domino's Pizza - 259.0kcal

Pizza, Margherita, Pizza Express - 195.0kcal

Potato Wedges, Kentucky Fried Chicken - 207.0kcal

And all of fruits are contains a lot of water, helpful to the diet.

12 Strawberries - 50kcal

Tomato - 50kcal

15 balls of a Grape - 50kcal

One piece of Pine apple - 50kcal

Apple - 100kcal

Orange - 100kcal

When economizes least 200 calories per day, good effect appears once.

Calculate your personal daily calories at here (http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/l/blcalcalc.htm).

http://arenagate.hihome.com/hideki.gif

Michi
10-08-2004, 10:58 PM
I know something that really helps most people I've talked to is cutting soda. My brother cut it and lost ten pounds in two weeks. I wish I could cut soda... but I never drank it in the first place. XD Soda is FULL of sugar, carbs, calories, you name it.

When I got mono back in November '02, I was drinking lots of water everday because I needed to because of the sickness. When I was better, I kept drinking only water and tea. Before then, I was always drinking tons of soda all the time. Ever since then I've felt so much better when I only have one soda every few months or so. It's not just good for weight loss, but it's good to make you just feel healthier. At least for me, anyway. ^^;

Yunalesca
10-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I have the oppostie problema nd I was wondering if anyone had any tips (I'm medically underweight and I'd like to fit into a size 0-2 dress without having to take it to the tailor's).

I tried makign another thread already and the mods closed it.
If you think I'm kidding, go check for yourself.

Darkside Blues
10-09-2004, 09:51 AM
When I got mono back in November '02, I was drinking lots of water everday because I needed to because of the sickness. When I was better, I kept drinking only water and tea. Before then, I was always drinking tons of soda all the time. Ever since then I've felt so much better when I only have one soda every few months or so. It's not just good for weight loss, but it's good to make you just feel healthier. At least for me, anyway. ^^;

That happened to me too . . . while I didn't have mono, I was sick for a while, and the only thing I could tolerare was either water or tea. My taste buds seemed to have altered to the point where I don't even like soda anymore (except for the occasional bottle of Ramune, hehe.)

Just cutting out stuff that you really don't need makes a difference. It may be hard at first, but after a while you don't even miss it!

Anna
10-09-2004, 10:34 AM
When you're trying to lose weight it's best to also keep porpotion size in mind, not just calories. As well as the kind of nutrients you receive from what you eat. Because most things like fast food are what would be qualified as "emty calories", jammed full of fat with little nutrience. And then with porpotion size, you know those muffins they sell at gas stations? they have about 200 calories in them right? Ther's three servings in that muffin! That's 600 calories in something that won't even fill you up! Subway sandwiches are okay in both catorgorys. Becuase you can load them up with veggies and, they'll fill you up.

Yana_Neko
10-09-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but Yana_Neko, you said you go to Curves to work out. You should just be aware that the Curves fitness chain financially supports anti-abortion groups. Here are a couple links about it:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/9818187.htm?1c
http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/curves.asp

If it's not something that's against your beliefs or bothers you, then whatever, but people who go there should be aware of it in any case.

As for weight loss . . . I don't have much to say except that it's a demonstrated fact that your enjoyment of a food drops drastically after the first few bites. So that's something to keep in mind to pry yourself off of something bad. :p

I had no idea! I am heavily pro-choice and knowing that they are anti-abortion does bother me a bit . . .

When I go in next time I am going to ask them about it. But then again, I live in a very ignorant town, they probably wouldn't know much about it . . .

But thanks for the heads up!

Yana_Neko
10-09-2004, 01:38 PM
I heard drinking a lot of coffee makes your metabolism speed up, is this true? I heard the same of smoking, but I am not about to go that far ^^;

BTW, thanks to everyone for the VERY helpful tips. You are all awesome!

Psychojustice
10-09-2004, 09:00 PM
I have the oppostie problema nd I was wondering if anyone had any tips (I'm medically underweight and I'd like to fit into a size 0-2 dress without having to take it to the tailor's).

My suggestion would be to first go to a doctor or a nutritionist. If you don't want to or can't afford it, my suggestion would be to drinks those shakes that are designed to help people gain weight. If your going to drink those, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to work out a little as well to make sure that its not just pure fat that your putting on.

Chukkie
10-09-2004, 09:03 PM
My suggestion would be to first go to a doctor or a nutritionist. If you don't want to or can't afford it, my suggestion would be to drinks those shakes that are designed to help people gain weight. If your going to drink those, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to work out a little as well to make sure that its not just pure fat that your putting on.

Yarr!! I posted again while signed in as psycojustice. Darn shared computer :untrust:

GenyaArikado
10-09-2004, 09:28 PM
I heard drinking a lot of coffee makes your metabolism speed up, is this true? I heard the same of smoking, but I am not about to go that far ^^;

BTW, thanks to everyone for the VERY helpful tips. You are all awesome!

The fact that coffee may speed up the metabolism is only due to the natural chemicals that are found in the coffee beans themselves, caffeine. The same elevated heart rate that you may get from coffee is the same that you would get from any caffeinated beverage, such as soda. I would not recommend drinking more coffee to get a higher metabolism, as you don't only get that, but you get a higher tension throughout your body, as the caffeine does not allow your heart rate to relax, and its additional calories, even more so if you add sugar and cream. the energy that your body creates when you intake caffeine is what actually causes the metabolism to rise. once the body starts moving and working, that naturally causes the metabolism rate to go up anyways.
The information that you received about the smoking causing your metabolism to go up, is a two edged sword, so to speak. Most people that smoke do have a higher heart rate, but that is due to the extra work that their heart is laboring over trying to get more blood to the lungs, for oxygen to supply the body. it also damages the lungs and countless other body parts. I am not sure if it specifically raises the metabolism, but several people that I know that smoke are thinner and relate that to their smoking habit, but this isn't so much because they smoke, it is more because they smoke instead of eating meals. As far as I know, smoking does not raise the metabolism levels, only causes the body to work harder to function as one would without smoking. (besides... smokings bad for you, or at least the surgeon general says so!) I know you said that you weren't going to risk that anyways, i just added this bit to perhaps.. clarify the relation between smoking and the metabolism rates.
Hope this helps! If anyone wants any more information, feel free to PM me!
(and no, i am not a doctor, but i have done research on this topic)

MemoriesofYuna
10-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Personally i just lost 20 pounds on grounds of both free will and just plain wanting to look more liek yuna and NOT BE FAT! i got down from 130... and im 14 and 5 feet flat. poysonally i thought it was pretty hard and took me about 4 months but it takes dedication. i agree with anna as well that proportion is huge, my weight was all in my stomach. target areas that you need to work on. i wouldn't recomend trying to speed your motabolisym because im not entirely sure that's safe. sometimes it can get dangerously high to the point of makeing you eat every few hours to satisfy it before it starts to do horible things to you. if your willing ot chance it then by all means go for it. i had to do it the HARD way. if you truely want it then nothing will get in your way. excercize, stay warm, eat healthy, do what you have got to do. the yunascences are more keen now! YAY FOR WEIGHT LOSS! -Aseret Yuna

Ciarathallya
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Please consult a physician or dietician. Both even. I just saw mine today. I'm struggling with my weight because I have sinutitus. It's draining leaving me listliss , therefore I have no get up and go. Plus the steroids I'm on don't help. Currently, I weight 194 at 5'7". yeah pretty bad. But hey life sucks. I will keep working at losing the weight. I don't like the idea of my my mid-driff bearing exposed in a costume. But my main goal is not for cosplay (it's a bonus), I want to return to my normal body weight and be at a healthy weight.

Eat balanced meals or whatever your health care provider advises. In my case I was advised to eat 4-6 smaller meals to help my metabolism jump start. If your current health state does permits, 45 minutes of exercise at a minimum. Remember to drink water to stay hydrated. Also remember to stretch and let your body rest as necessary. :jjacks:

Maryssa
10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Way to find great reasons to bash the mods.
Your topic was closed beacuse you should have just posted in the original weight-related thread that existed. Don't make us look like the bad guys for trying to keep the board organized.

This thread also seems to be a repeat of the one that already existed... perhaps I should just merge the 2.

Sorahana
10-18-2004, 07:36 PM
I lost 10 lbs this summer just by eating less. That was mainly because my mom wasn't buying food I liked so yea (I'm picky lol). And playing DDR works wonders as well ^_^.

newmyu
10-18-2004, 08:47 PM

I'm a genius!

This irks me too.. . I took birth control pills for two years because I was/did get married. . So I don't think that 'not having sex, or using condoms instead so you don't have to use birthcontrol?!' is a good idea for most...

Depo Provera is the WORST form of birth control for weight gain. I've tried pills, the patch, and now the ring, and quite honestly, I've liked the ring the best, AND it's out of your system in 24 hours!

I've had weight gain from them though too, nearly 30 pounds, when I already wanted to lose around 10 pounds... so now I need to lose about 40. I've learned to not change how MUCH I eat, but rather WHAT I eat (fruit instead of fruity candy, wheat bread instead of white usually, ect.) and cut out sodas and most juices (though I do drink carbonated flavored water, which usually doesn't have any calories or anything! :D )

Really, the best way I've found (for me, at least) to lose weight, is to change my diet piece by piece (it took me FOREVER to get rid of all the sugary stuff around..!) and bring in healthier alternatives. I still, on occasion, have my cakes and such though... I'm just more careful about how much I eat and how often. :)

I also play a lot of DDR, and while some people do say it can be harmful (which I don't doubt) it IS a good workout, and I've noticed some muscular weight gain, which is good weight gain.. :) I've also noticed a lot of allover body slimming, because I play it on nonstop mode at home, which is GREAT cardio (cardio burns more fat than anerobic exercise!). I also watch para para paradise videos and play along with them (since I don't have the game) for the upper body (you can download them at http://www.paraparaonline.com/media/video/ ) and basically, just try to be careful not to push myself too hard.

Oh, and beware losing weight too quickly. It can have serious effects on your health, including gallstones and loose skin.

Eriol
10-18-2004, 09:04 PM
I am not sure if it specifically raises the metabolism, but several people that I know that smoke are thinner and relate that to their smoking habit, but this isn't so much because they smoke, it is more because they smoke instead of eating meals.

Smoking supresses the body's appetite. Its chemicals probably interfere with signals to tell you that you are hungry.

ladysubaru25
10-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Smoking supresses the body's appetite. Its chemicals probably interfere with signals to tell you that you are hungry.

Augghh! And I thought I was doing myself a favor by being a NON-smoker for all these years!! :rofl:

Hmmm... what a tradeoff.
Lose weight vs. fry my lungs.

Sometimes life just ain't fair...

Chibi Plush Toy
10-18-2004, 09:25 PM
The thing is, you COULD lose weight, but if you're working out, that weight is gonna be easily gained back the more you work out. Freaky? Well here me out, the more you work out, the more your fat is burned but then your MUSCLES are going to be tightened...causing more weight to be in your body rather than your fat because muscles have more mass...

Malicious
10-18-2004, 09:27 PM
omfg...parapara looks REALLY HARD!!!! is it like those senser machines u see at arcades?!? hmm...i'd like to try it out XD must be hard to memorize so many moves O_O

Eriol
10-18-2004, 09:30 PM
The thing is, you COULD lose weight, but if you're working out, that weight is gonna be easily gained back the more you work out. Freaky? Well here me out, the more you work out, the more your fat is burned but then your MUSCLES are going to be tightened...causing more weight to be in your body rather than your fat because muscles have more mass...

But unless you are weight training to be a body builder, your weight will stabilize. You will actually be somewhat thinner and leaner by shrinking the fat cells and increasing muscles.

In addition, having more muscle mass increases your metabolism since muscles require energy to maintain themselves.

Chibi Plush Toy
10-18-2004, 09:34 PM
But unless you are weight training to be a body builder, your weight will stabilize. You will actually be somewhat thinner and leaner by shrinking the fat cells and increasing muscles.

In addition, having more muscle mass increases your metabolism since muscles require energy to maintain themselves.

Dang, really?? I have no idea how I'd be that "somewhat thinner" but I'm willing to figure it out. Kinda happy about the metabolism though, I've been groggy so much as it is! Thanks, Eriol!

newmyu
10-18-2004, 09:37 PM

As I (think) I said in my post, I've gained 10 pounds since I started all the DDRing, but visibly I've lost a lot of fat-weight... my doctor told me that it was just muscle mass, and that gaining muscle WILL increase your weight, but it will also increase your metabolism.

omfg...parapara looks REALLY HARD!!!! is it like those senser machines u see at arcades?!? hmm...i'd like to try it out XD must be hard to memorize so many moves O_O

Actually, if you watch the people dancing in the videos and mimic them, it's really not that hard at all... I haven't gotten to play to the actual game yet though, so I can't say that definitively though.. ^^; I do play DDR, and it certainly doesn't look as difficult to master as DDR has been.. ^^ (Well, it wasn't DIFFICULT, just took awhile to get the foot-eye coordination down.. ^^;; )

EDIT: I forgot to mention, smoking for weight loss is a REALLY bad idea.. >.<; It not only decreases your appetite, it also _slows_ your metabolism, and after quitting smoking, it doesn't speed back up, AND you crave something to replace the cigarette (which ususally ends up being food of some sort) so you lose twice, not counting all the health risks that go along with it.

EDIT II: I also forgot! ^^;;; (So out of it tonight..!) Definitely go to your doctor if you can, and get a full vitamin/minerals panel and a thyroid test, to make sure there's absolutely no medical reason you might have gained the weight, or might have trouble losing weight. I had trouble at first, and it was because of a severe vitamin deficiency in one particular complex of vitamins 'cause I didn't like/eat enough of a particular type of foods. (I think it was organ meats or something). It also kept me from exercising because I was always EXTREMELY tired.. ^^; Thyroid problems can also come up unannounced, and can wreak havoc on your body, so they're a good thing to check up on too.. :)

Eriol
10-18-2004, 09:48 PM
Dang, really?? I have no idea how I'd be that "somewhat thinner" but I'm willing to figure it out. Kinda happy about the metabolism though, I've been groggy so much as it is! Thanks, Eriol!

I work out at the gym about 2 to 3 times a week, but I don't body build. My weight has actually dropped slightly. I do look and feel thinner, but I definitely feel my muscles. It won't make you look like a stick, or light as air if that's what you were thinking. Looking much skinnier requires more supervised training. You need to work with a trainer and set up a nutritional regiment. In addition, it's impossible to become lighter after a certain point, because as newmyu said, your muscle mass is heavier.

Like you said, it's a change of fat cells to muscles, but it does change your body type a little if you do it casually.

If you exercise regularly, you will have more energy.

When you start to exercise regularly, the first thing you lose is excess water.
It's important to drink a lot of water even though you are losing it at first, since your body will require it while you are exercising.

Definitely go to your doctor if you can, and get a full vitamin/minerals panel and a thyroid test, to make sure there's absolutely no medical reason you might have gained the weight, or might have trouble losing weight.

I mentioned the thyroid problem earlier in the thread. If the usual exercise and proper eating isn't doing much for several months (you have to stick to your regiment or it doesn't count!), there may be a medical problem.

Parasaurolophus
10-19-2004, 05:44 PM

<Weight training rant>
Weight training is not evil!! A lot of people (many women) think that it is only for those crazy bodybuilders you see in fitness magazines. Resistance training forces your muscles to grow outwards, which is why you gain some weight. But in the meantime, you are toning your body, and sucking in the fat, which generates an overall slimming appearance.

It is really hard to bulk up- bodybuilders must eat a ton of protien to generate that much muscle. So unless you're taking illegal steriods or downing protien shakes and whey protien left and right, while lifting weights for 20 hours a week, you won't "bulk up!" Testosterone is also a big factor in growing huge muscles, so regular women won't put on tons of muscle immediately. But it does mean that you'll be stronger, and have a nice, toned appearance. Imagine having shaply curved arms, thighs and a tight stomach for that Yuna costume? Bicep, tricep curls, weighted squats and crunches can work wonders. Cardio can't do it alone.

On the other hand, you shouldn't start a super intense weight training regime without good supervision, b/c you can screw up your back pretty easily. If you can, talk to your doctor about starting something, and see if there's a physical trainer at a gym (or a w/t partner!) Once you get the hang of it, there are lots of exercises you can do without a spotter.

Again, weight training can be fun, and it really can get results- its not evil!!!
</rant> :thumbsup:

Eriol
10-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I should correct my earlier post. Fat cells and muscles don't "go away." They are in your body and start at a certain size. They can grow or shrink depending on your lifestyle and eating habits. If you store calories, the fat cells get larger. If you weight train, the muscles get bigger.

6suzieq9
10-19-2004, 09:38 PM
I have lost 5 pounds in one week! Which is very hard for me. I can hardley excersise because of my asthma, but it was all about what I've been eating.
I have a desk job, which means I have a lot of munchie foods at my desk.
Well they have changed, now I bring celery to work, (with peanut butter of course)
Started drinking diet soda, I have a big addiction to Mountain Dew, which has about 200 calories! Now I'm down to diet dew that has 0 calories! That was a big factor there!
I go for walks during lunch.
that's honestly about it.
Good Luck!

newmyu
10-19-2004, 09:52 PM
I have lost 5 pounds in one week! Which is very hard for me. I can hardley excersise because of my asthma, but it was all about what I've been eating.
I have a desk job, which means I have a lot of munchie foods at my desk.
Well they have changed, now I bring celery to work, (with peanut butter of course)
Started drinking diet soda, I have a big addiction to Mountain Dew, which has about 200 calories! Now I'm down to diet dew that has 0 calories! That was a big factor there!
I go for walks during lunch.
that's honestly about it.
Good Luck!

Exactly! :D Cutting high-calorie foods down (or replacing them with lower-calorie alternatives) can make a HUGE impact on weight. My husband's on a diet now and had to switch from two sandwiches at lunch, to a sandwich and several pieces of fruit. Much better for him, and lower calorie, AND it fills him up better! He's also starting to learn to snack healthier at home, and cut out the sodas.

My dad's been informed by his doctor to find something other than diet soda because of his high blood pressure, and the regular sodas caused him to gain weight, so he just asked me what good alternatives were.. ^^; He didn't realize that tea (with honey and lemon), milk, juice (in moderation!), carbonated flavored waters (if you read the nutrition facts labels, most are calorie and carb free!), and more were just as good as plain water, and didn't taste as boring to him.

I also wrote a biiiig ol' post about the differences and importances of weight-training and cardio exercise, but it didn't make it, apparently.. >.<; I'll put the gist of it here..

Cardio- works the heart, raises endurance and stamina, good for cardiorespiratory system. Defined by any exercise that causes you to break a sweat and sustain a sweat for an extended period of time. DDR on nonstop mode (workout mode) is a good example of this. Cardio burns fat from all over.

Weight-training- works the muscles in specific groups or patterns, good for musculoskeletal (sp?) system, increases bone mass/strength, muscle strength. Defined by any type of weight-bearing/resistance training where a set of repetitions is performed with weight/resistance against the working muscle(s). Lifting weights/using a bowflex-type machine are good examples of this. Weight training tends to burn less fat, but tones the muscles underneath. Occasionally, when doing situps (which is also a weight-training exercise) fat can get trapped beneath new muscle.

It's recommended that if you're going to weight train, that you combine it with cardio.

An important note that I learned from my doctor the other day... sore muscles are a sign that the muscles are rebuilding themselves. When you work muscles, they tear slightly, to allow for growth during the rebuilding process. They regrow stronger and sometimes larger than they were initially. The soreness, if mild, should be taken as a sign that you got a good workout, and you should continue your workout routine. If it's moderate to severe, you should likely rest for the day, and continue the next, or work a different section of the body.

kagome_japan
10-20-2004, 06:21 AM
I am trying to lose weight for Halloween. I know: I'm crazy. But, just a tad. So, I am eating salads, drinking water and baked chips. So, unlike me. But, cosplaying is a hard hobby, but the best!

EDIT: Screw the diet. I just ate the worst salad in the world. The chickien was moldy and the lettuce was limp. I am the perfect weight for cosplaying. ^_^ So, let's forget what I posted before up there ^ Now, I eat bagels, water and baked chips! ^_^

Vespaa
10-21-2004, 09:17 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but Green Tea is great for you. And it can supposedly help your metabolism speed up, somewhat. Try having a cup of Green Tea every morning. ^^ (I have one when I can tolerate the interesting taste :x)

wulfmune
10-21-2004, 09:33 AM
a few things about greentea-

there's alot of health benefits associated with greentea, including reducing risk of certain types of cancer, controlling cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels ect.
main thing about it, is the same antioxidants that give you these health benefits also can give you that strange aftertaste that many people don't care for. some studies report that in order to recieve all these benefits you should be drinking as much as 4-6 cups a day.

few things to keep to try for those who want to try the greentea route:

i don't drink alot of hot greentea, i brew some very concentrated greentea and then add it to cold water. i keep it in a sports bottle and drink it in place of water with all my meals. (drinking alot of it with meals can make it more tolerable to people who don't like the taste) sometimes i add 1 teabag of greentea ginger lemon/lime/mandarin ect to add variety of flavor.

also there are greentea supplements out there (not sure how well they work, seeing that i like greentea ^^;;)

keep in mind also when brewing greentea, its very sensitive to brewing time, (leaving it in too long will definately give you that funny aftertaste D:) you might also prefer trying leaf or teaball.

my roomates didn't care for greentea much, but now they have aquired a taste for it and drink my icedtea version alot. ^^;; *makes a gallon of greentea daily*

BlueLady
10-21-2004, 09:34 AM
probably been brought up already but here goes.

If you are losing weight to make you happy, fine. If you are losing weight so you feel you look socialy acceptable in some silly costume you have a problem. No one looks like an anime charcter..no one..period.

I've been around this board for two years and this thread and its cousin " am I pretty enough to cosplay this" keep coming up time and time again. Im happy to see this one is generally helpful in leiu of the usual bashfest/pity party they turn into.

Besides if you are confident, you are beautiful!

mojiko
10-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Hey, someone else who went through the same thing as me!

I went off of Depo over 2 years ago and I STILL haven't lost the 50 pounds that I gained from it ;_; I haven't actually ever cosplayed yet (I've been more of a picture taker...but that's gonna change soon!), but I know that I want to lose weight not only to look good in whatever costumes I wear, but also for my health ^_^

DDR really helped me with maintaining my weight (since I used to eat the most unhealthiest stuff ever, like pizza and chips and candy every day), so I'm sure that if I was watching what I ate, I could have lost weight. A good place to check out more info on DDR weight loss is http://getupmove.com. It's probably not the greatest thing for your body (it might weaken your knees), but my philosophy has always been that you only live once, so if you're gonna do stuff like work out, at least make it something fun =D And contrary to popular belief, it works out more than just your legs. Because it's a cardio work out, it has the same effect as vigorous walking to light running, both of which burn fat all over =)

Other than that, I would look up what your target heart rate is for your age and lifestyle and check that while you're working out. Also, like everyone else has mentioned, go see the doctor and possibly a nutritionist to get more info. You're probably not gonna be losing a huge amount of weight in a small period of time without doing damage to your body, so try to take it slow. Anything more than 2 1/2 pounds a week is bad for your body, and you'll be more likely to put that weight back on.

Anyhoo, good luck with your weight loss ventures, and be sure to keep us posted on whatever you decide to do :bigtu:

newmyu
10-22-2004, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=wulfmune]a few things about greentea-

there's alot of health benefits associated with greentea, including reducing risk of certain types of cancer, controlling cholesterol, blood pressure and sugar levels ect.
main thing about it, is the same antioxidants that give you these health benefits also can give you that strange aftertaste that many people don't care for. some studies report that in order to recieve all these benefits you should be drinking as much as 4-6 cups a day.
<snipped>QUOTE]

A few more things about Green Tea:

Some of the antioxidents that give the health benefits can be cancelled out by other ingredients that are often added to green tea, particularly the kind you buy that's already brewed. Ecinacia (sp? I know that isn't right.) is supposed to boost the immune system, but when taken regularly, or in large doses, it does the opposite.

Herbal treatments are often times a double edged sword, and you have to be PARTICULARLY cautious if you're a woman of child-bearing age on birth control... LOTS of herbal remedies can cancel the effects of birth control, rendering them ineffective... (in other words, take something like, say, St. John's Wort for depression, and you're probably going to end up with a kid on accident when you thought you were protected.)

Like they always tell you, _talk_to_a_doctor_ before adding anything into your health routine.

Hideki-san
10-22-2004, 02:26 AM
And, chewing the gum assists digesting. Saliva has a digesting element. I suggest chew the sugarless gum at after eating.

mojiko
10-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Gum is actually a really good dieting secret. Buying sugarless gum in zillions of different flavors ensures that you have something at the ready when you're craving something sweet, and since it's sugarless and you're chewing on it for a while, it preoccupies your mouth without having to worry about accumulating calories ^_^ I personally like the Care Free Koolerz (http://www.koolerz.com/) gum in all of the fruity flavors because I like fruity stuff and they don't really taste sugar free to me :bigtu:

treasure_chan
10-23-2004, 12:09 AM
I lost about 15 lbs and dropped a pants size last summer.

I was taking a weight training class, and it did help me to lose weight, actually. I lifted weights for about 1/2 an hour to an hour every weekday for a month and a half.

I also was careful about how much I ate. What I ended up doing was just counting calories. (I should probably start doing that again.) I almost always ate breakfast as well. It's VERY important to eat breakfast every day... it sets your body's metabolism for the rest of the day.

Diet and exercise are a very powerful combination.

newmyu
10-23-2004, 03:32 AM
I've always wondered something about the whole eating breakfast thing though...

Do you have to eat breakfast like, eat in the morning, or just shortly after awakening? If I'm left to my own, I'll sleep until 1 or 2pm, regardless of what time I go to bed... o.O; And if I do what my body wants, I'll stay up until 3 or 4am (as you can see!). If I get up before 10am, I'm oftentimes nauseous at the thought of eating right away.. ^^; So I usually don't. But when I get up later, it's not a problem at all.. :)

Anyone have any answers to that?

Sugabear
10-23-2004, 04:53 AM
You know it is kind of funny......People (Men And Women) are always trying to lose weight. There are many different "Diets"/"Meals" to help people with loosing weight. Many studies have shown that most people DoNot Have to change their lives drastically. (Especially in most of our age demographic) The key to loosing weight is staying active.(Phisically) i.e. taking walks,playing frisbee, etc..... It is not the kind of work out as much as the REGULARITY of it.In a world of conveinences we are now being trained to be INACTIAVE instead of being active.(Huge problem in the USA) So the real suggestion from me is to go outside. Have a walk enjoy nature. I personally like to check out parks and lakes. It can be fun.

Disturbed
10-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I have a weight issue to because of some medication I have to take. So now I'm working out again lifting weights... I don't actually lose weight much but I look much better.

Yuffie2004
10-23-2004, 11:46 AM
This topic motivated me to loose 30 lbs and start drinking water! thankies! *runs to play ddr*

oh---um and if the water thing starts working for me then ill tell you what else i did and i hope that helps too! God bless! *throws sephy plushee at you*

Chibi Plush Toy
10-23-2004, 01:34 PM
*steals Sephiroth plushie* MINE!

then again DDR just helps with your thighs as said earlier in this topic (i think)...so if you wanna lose 30 lbs...you might wanna do more than that. Water IS a good thing you know the usual 8 cups a day and its also supposed to be killing your craving for hunger. If your stomach is growling it's probably THIRSTY instead of HUNGRY...forgot where I heard that from but it's pretty important.

treasure_chan
10-24-2004, 09:58 AM
When I was weight training, I wouldn't actually eat breakfast until after I was done working out. I don't like eating breakfast right away in the morning... It makes me feel sick. So I don't think it really matters all that much exactly WHEN you eat it as long as you actually do eat breakfast.

Yuffie2004
10-24-2004, 10:02 AM
*steals Sephiroth plushie* MINE!

then again DDR just helps with your thighs as said earlier in this topic (i think)...so if you wanna lose 30 lbs...you might wanna do more than that. Water IS a good thing you know the usual 8 cups a day and its also supposed to be killing your craving for hunger. If your stomach is growling it's probably THIRSTY instead of HUNGRY...forgot where I heard that from but it's pretty important.

*throws Aeris plushee at you*

no wonder i have great legs and a bad tummy >_<U
the thing is...I CANT STAND WATER!!!! I rarely drink it, and i know thats bad....but im trying....im gonna keep drinking water. thanks!

Scrapped Neko
10-24-2004, 03:37 PM
the thing is...I CANT STAND WATER!!!! I rarely drink it, and i know thats bad....but im trying....im gonna keep drinking water. thanks!
I know how you feel. There are times when I just can't make myself drink enough water, even though I know I should. You should try some of that fruit flavored sports water. It's so yummy and easy to drink. It's more like drinking fruit juice, but you're still getting the benefits of water. I love those. Peach and watermelon are the best flavors.

Chibi Plush Toy
10-24-2004, 03:54 PM
I still suggest we should workout 30 minutes a day...

Yuffie2004
10-24-2004, 08:55 PM
so if i combine both i should see some results....*tries*

MemoriesofYuna
10-24-2004, 09:17 PM
DDR is a good thing. one thing that is pretty much misconcepted is the way your body gets rig of wegiht. you sweat it off. so the more you sweat the more weight you lose. stay warm! i wear hoodies all the time it is good to sweat. also my problem.... coke a cola. did you know that if you drink a coke a day every day for a year you gain 10 pounds per year? im going to take myself off all carbinated beverages for a while and see my results. *is still not a perfect yuna figure* i think most of america is so lazy and obease that we haev grown to accept obeasity more. and also why hour glasses are more apriciated. i can see it from both sides now. i feel alot better being somewhat thin than being really fat. i found a picture of myself when i was fat the other day and flipped. (will post eventuaully) if you want to lose weight then work ^^ excercize, run swim... well not swim now unless your down south but in that case swim! dance! DDR! i think if i just practiced ddr everyday for half an hour a day i would both lose 10 pounds and begin to kick patootey at ddr! things that you should stay away from:
coke a cola
pepsi
MCDONNALDS
tv dinners
fried chips (baked have SO much less fat)

things that your body will thank you for:
water
carrots
Special K (i lost 6 pounds on the diet)
most all fruits and vegies.

hollywood diets are a no no. most totally rip you off. and most diet pills just make you sleepy and nausieated. *did alot of research* also work out adn do stomach excercizes. get a 6 pack as ya go ^^ -Aseret Yuna the STAIR MASTER!

Hideki-san
10-24-2004, 11:27 PM
But I am scared for that - maybe should changed to thick legs. It is the reason which the schoolgirls of the high school are dislike going to far away school. We need to excercise the all parts of the body, properly. But that's a good method one, of course. Whatever, I wish that everyone have successful result at final. http://arenagate.hihome.com/smile5.gif
(P.S. This place looks like a diet information site. Great!)
(P.S. II. But many folks are looks don't needs but do the diet. Sensitive like me-_-)

http://arenagate.hihome.com/hideki.gif

Parasaurolophus
10-25-2004, 08:41 AM
DDR is a good thing. one thing that is pretty much misconcepted is the way your body gets rig of wegiht. you sweat it off. so the more you sweat the more weight you lose. stay warm! i wear hoodies all the time it is good to sweat.
things that you should stay away from:
coke a cola
pepsi
MCDONNALDS
tv dinners
fried chips (baked have SO much less fat)

things that your body will thank you for:
water
carrots
Special K (i lost 6 pounds on the diet)
most all fruits and vegies.

Sweat is the body's mechanism for losing heat, not weight. The reason why you sweat while working out is due to increasing muscle cell activity. Mammal's cells are programmed to "leak" energy as heat, instead of utilizing it complety- thats why on cold days, you put a dog in a sweater, but not your iguana (it must get its heat from an external source). When you work out, your muscle cells increase their energy expenditure, which raises the heat output- you must cool down, so you sweat. Sweating gets rid of water in your body, so any weight you lose is purely water weight, and has no lasting consequences. Wrestlers will run around in sweatsuits right before a meet to lose those last few pounds for a weight class, but they aren't permenantly losing weight.

Sweating is a effect of increased cell energy consumption, which is good if you are trying to lose weight (with calorie control, etc), but you aren't going to lose weight by sitting on your butt in a sauna.
[/biology lesson] :)
And with a few dietary changes, it is possible to bring down the calories without depriving yourself. When eating healthily, it doesn't mean you never can have a regular soda, or fries or cake ever again. But its about portion control. You can have some halloween candy, but eat 1-2 pieces in a sitting, rather than a whole bag. Cut yourself down to a soda every other day, then every 3 days, then once a week. Most lifestyle "diets" encourage at least one meal a week where you can eat more liberally- that way you don't feel deprived, and are less likeky to revert old habits. :jjacks:

Eriol
10-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Sweat is the body's mechanism for losing heat, not weight.

You lose water this way too. What weight loss people experience early in an exercise regiment is water.

As much as some people hate water as a beverage, water is a zero-calorie liquid and is useful to keep the body hydrated.

Hideki-san
10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
The water makes the digestive fluid watery. We should not drink water immediately when after eating. It changes into the weight if the digestion is insufficient.

Eriol
10-25-2004, 10:20 AM
The water makes the digestive fluid watery. We should not drink water immediately when after eating. It changes into the weight if the digestion is insufficient.

That does not sound right. Water is known to help dissolve vitamins, fats, etc., and that helps with digestion. Yes, you will feel heavier because you just took in water, but water eventually leaves your body.

reannaremick
10-25-2004, 11:03 AM
I know what that's like - my first 5 years of doing Cons I was a twig, I didn't even break 100 lbs til I was 14. Then I ballooned and it's taken me a long time to get to a normal weight for my height. I personally when I was overweight tried tons and tons of different things, I'd lift weights, run on the treadmill, burned thousands of calories a day, but for some reason my weight never really diminished significantly. It wasn't until I got braces the summer I turned 19 that I dropped weight dramatically. The main thing I had was slim fast drinks because I could barely chew for ages - I have extremely sensitive teeth - but even now that I can eat normally, I'm the same weight. So I would recommend the Slim Fast drinks, though the bars are a waste of time. You'd want about 5 to feel full and they're just ridiculous. However I found the drinks really really filling and tasty, so that's what I'd recommend. Between those and just not being able to have solid food for quite some time I went from a GREAT deal over 200 to a stable 140 atm. Which for 5'11" is pretty good, heh. Anyway, best of luck to you!

GrigoriArella
10-25-2004, 11:18 AM
There are so many factors that come into play when talking about overweight/weight loss issues that no one answer any of us can give you will be completely accurate. You must see a doctor, preferably a nutritionist, in order to begin your lifestyle change. And yeah, what you need is a lifestyle change. "Diets" are a crock, and won't help you live your best. But I can't tell you what that change will have to be.
Any number of things may be happening that are causing you to be overweight. From poor nutrition to poor exercise habits, to an endrocrine problem stemming from the thyroid or pancreas, even your hormones could be working against you. Some people are simply built big, and may never be a size 4. Some are suffering from a disease that changes your body as you grow older, such as Hypothyroidism, PCOS, or even insulin problems that may lead to Diabetes.
So basically, the only way any one of any of the people who consider themselves overweight is going to effect change is to work with a doctor to figure out 1) Why they are not their "ideal" weight; 2)What habits support this weight; 3)What they must change in their lives to maintian a healty lifestyle.

And for some people, a healthy lifestyle includes being over a size 4. Some bodies are built to be a 12 or a 16, and if those people live healthy and are aware of how all the puzzle pieces of a healthy life fit together for them, they should be happy as they are.

So sift through diet advice with a grain of salt, and work with someone who can help you understand your body and why it does what it does, and then you can try to change.

Keiichi-san
10-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I've taken up "dieting" (if you can call it that) for Comic-Con next year. Really, all I've done is sworn off fast food and taken up jogging around my block about twice a week (which is about 1-1.5 miles each run).

In about a week and a half, I've already lost 8 lbs.

-K1

Kuro Yue
10-25-2004, 06:20 PM
I know of a diet. . .It's very, very healthy, and I should really get my fat @$$ back on it. . .

The Sacred Heart Diet. All you eat is veggies, fruits, meat, and a special soup which you make yourself, and you lose 17 pounds in ONE WEEK. *nod nod*

newmyu
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Diets that cause you to lose more than a pound or two a week (and if I remember correctly, even that is pushing it) can be very harmful to your health. Not to mention the problems that are usually left by loose skin (which is unable to shrink normally when weight is lost that quickly) and gallstones, which can appear after a large, quick weight loss.

That's why a lot of people who use Atkins have had problems.. LOTS of them have developed gallstones and if they were very overweight, many developed a lot of loose skin, most commonly on the upper arms, upper legs and stomach areas.

17 pounds a week is extremely excessive.

Zephyrs
10-25-2004, 06:51 PM
That's not a diet, it's starvation because you will NOT get enough calories to keep your body going, period (I've seen my share of the pro-anorexia stuff and that Sacred Heart thing pops up enough)

newmyu
10-25-2004, 07:11 PM
That's not a diet, it's starvation because you will NOT get enough calories to keep your body going, period (I've seen my share of the pro-anorexia stuff and that Sacred Heart thing pops up enough)

I'm with you there silent duelist. I have a friend who was aneroxic through most of high school, and she ended up in the hospital a few times before she finally overcame it...she also broke her foot a couple of times and has lasting bone problems from the nutritional deficit during a critical stage in her body's development.

Aneroxia actually does the opposite of a healthy lifestyle change for weightloss. Aneroxia actually slows your metabolism by forcing your body into starvation mode, and causes you to pack on pounds whether you eat or not. The only way to safely lose any amount of weight is to do it by eating healthy foods (so many servings of lean meats, lots of fruits and veggies, proper servings of grains (preferably whole grains) and even including fats and sweets sparingly into your diet).

I also had a cousin who was an exercise aneroxic... she'd keep track of ALL the calories she ate during the day, feel guilty and then exercise until she couldn't anymore. She stayed thin, but damaged her body greatly.

The best bet is to aim for the proper weight for your BMI. For example, I'm 4'11" and should be about 120ish to be considered normal weight. I think even up to about 127 or so is still okay.

I think another key to losing weight is learning to be happy with the body you have, regardless of weight. I've learned that the happier I become with myself, the easier it is to do the things that will help me lose weight... (In other words, I'm not miserable, so I'm not comforting myself with food...)

mojiko
10-25-2004, 11:56 PM
That Sacred Heart diet sounds scary O_O I know I wouldn't want to lose 17 pounds in one day, only because it's a false measurement. The only way to healthily lose weight is to burn fat, which this diet does not do. Exercise, however, does :bigtu:

avskull
10-26-2004, 06:51 AM
Angus Diet... ^_^

Nancyboynoire
10-26-2004, 05:12 PM

I'm a genius!

Not everyone is taking birth control for just having sex. I used to take the pill because I would get really bad cramps ( I'm talking about hunched over the bath tub ready to heave hurt.) That's just one example, there are also other reasons other than just sex.

As for loosing weight, you and I are in the same boat honey. I used to be a competitive syncronized swimmer for crying out loud!!! until I broke my leg and royally screwed up my knee, lazy-ness quickly followed. *sighs* I miss syncro so much but the idea of seeing myself in a bathing suite infront of a panel of judges is nothing short of terrifying.

Try taking baby steps first before you go all out on this excercise diet thing. You know, cutting out some sweets drinks almost all water, I am not joking. Just drink water, you'll be amazed how much sugar and stuff comes from things like juice! and walking to more places, soon you'll realize it's not so hard and you'll realize " HEY! I can do this ! it's no problem" and you'll feel bolder, maybe try a short jog twice a week and such.

I remember I lost five pounds with just these little baby steps, then I summed up the courage ( and the moulah) to join a gym. n_n;

mojiko
10-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Angus Diet... ^_^

ROFL! I've been on that diet way too long :bigtu:

avskull
10-26-2004, 06:41 PM
ROFL! I've been on that diet way too long :bigtu:

they let people download the book, its on the official web site. Its 139 pages.

Dai_Katana
10-26-2004, 06:57 PM
as for the birth control thing i have a great idea ...... use rubbers... lol sorry if that seemd mean but w/e. I know the best way to lose weight is LOTS o excercise..... and if u excercise enough u can eat what u want (eating healthy usually cuts down the time tho ^_^ )

mojiko
10-27-2004, 12:16 AM
they let people download the book, its on the official web site. Its 139 pages.

You've got to be kidding me! A 139-page book about a completely fake diet? I'm almost tempted to DL it just so I can see what the hell they talk about for all 139 of those pages...

newmyu
10-27-2004, 02:07 AM
as for the birth control thing i have a great idea ...... use rubbers... lol sorry if that seemd mean but w/e. I know the best way to lose weight is LOTS o excercise..... and if u excercise enough u can eat what u want (eating healthy usually cuts down the time tho ^_^ )

No offense to anyone intended but, I'm not a kid in high school.. >.<; Sorry if I don't feel like being irresponsible enough to actually believe that I'd use condoms consistently and often enough for it to be a good form of birth control. Don't get me wrong, they're great for people who have _serious_ problems with hormones (such as blood clots and things of that nature) and preventing STDs, but in a married relationship, they're just not really realistic.

I also get the feeling that you've not been in this particular situation before (using hormonal birth control, and gaining weight as a side effect...for that matter, using hormonal birth control at all...) and I just want to say that considering the fact that it's the most reliable (short of sterilization, and I want kids someday...) way to prevent having children. Sorry, it just isn't realistic nor would it be responsible of me to go off of my choice birth control to lose a few pounds, only to quite likely gain it and quite a bit more because I screwed up (or a condom broke!) and ended up pregnant.

Not happening. Sorry. Please, quit being unrealistic.

As I said in the beginning, no offense intended, but this particular subject just blows my mind with some of the comments that I've seen regarding it before.. >.<;;

mojiko
10-27-2004, 03:35 AM
Yeah seriously, why do people feel the need to say something like "well, you shouldn't be having sex in the first place" or "if you are, you should use condoms". These people act like A) we are all religious, underaged people who can stay celibate even in a fully committed relationship or B) we didn't research different methods of birth control beforehand. I personally know that on the website of the company that makes Depo-Provera, they say that the average weight gain while taking Depo is 5 pounds. Gee, I gained 5 pounds...in the first month! And I kept gaining. No one ever mentioned THAT on the website -_-;; How are people supposed to know anything other than what is presented to them in a skewed manner?

Zephyrs
10-27-2004, 10:57 AM
By average they are referring to the mean, not the mode - for example, I recall from an school assembly that the "average" weight gain among ALL college freshman is around 5-7 pounds when you factor in the people who maintain or even lose weight, but it might be the fabled 15 pounds among people who DO gain, you know? You would find a more comprehesive set of statistics in the fine print drug information of any birth control, which everyone should read before starting any hormonal birth control (I sure did)

And even then, I didn't gain weight when I started on the patch in July. I just made sure to keep watching what I was eating and get SOME exercise, and now I'm slowly losing weight. Depo-Provera tends to be either hit or miss... you either gain nothing or barely anything or a whole lot :/

Eriol
10-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Sometimes, the "quick fixes" end up being more trouble than its worth...

Also, any treatment to rebalance the body's hormonal make-up is not without consequence. It may be a rebalance in terms of chemistry mathematics, but the body may react totally differently than the "normal" or "expected" response.

For example, if you need the hormonal rebalance to correct a serious deficiency, the body may respond by weight gain, because that would have been the natural consequence your body would have chosen if your hormonal levels were normal to begin with.

Some people are naturally predisposed to be heavyset, and to overcome that predisposition requires a tremendous and potenetially unstable regiment of diet and exercise. The regiment is considered unstable, because as soon as you stop the regiment, the body will probably revert to the predisposed bodily state very quickly.

Losing weight by chemical methods is not the magic solution. Diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes still are significant in weight loss. Be very careful with chemicals.

newmyu
10-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah seriously, why do people feel the need to say something like "well, you shouldn't be having sex in the first place" or "if you are, you should use condoms". These people act like A) we are all religious, underaged people who can stay celibate even in a fully committed relationship or B) we didn't research different methods of birth control beforehand. I personally know that on the website of the company that makes Depo-Provera, they say that the average weight gain while taking Depo is 5 pounds. Gee, I gained 5 pounds...in the first month! And I kept gaining. No one ever mentioned THAT on the website -_-;; How are people supposed to know anything other than what is presented to them in a skewed manner?

Thank you! ^^ We aren't all freshmen in high school who don't know what relationships are about.. ^^;;

Sex wasn't even in my vocabulary (well, not _literally_) until after I was _engaged_ and then there was a SERIOUS discussion about birth control options and much much much research done.

There is a site (I don't remember where though) with a LOT of people on it and testimonies dealing with Depo Provera, and I believe they're trying to get more of the 'realistic' side effects listed, including serious weight gain, constant bleeding, ect. My brother's fiancee was on DP for a short time, and she still hasn't lost the weight...and that was literally YEARS ago. She also just found she's got a thyroid problem from it though, too.

I'm all for condoms though, in an uncommitted relationship... they're great for preventing STDs (though not perfect..!) and okay for preventing pregnancy, but were it me... I sure as heck wouldn't use them alone.. ^^; Tooooo much risk of mechanical failure, y'know? At least with my hormonal birth control I know that it's got a good track record (for me personally) and is working...

Mind you, with that said, I know someone who was concieved despite hormonal birth control AND condoms, so nothing's failproof... not even abstinance... (I know someone who was concieved without actual sex happening either... long story not appropriate for cosplay.com...)

Kuro Yue
10-29-2004, 05:15 AM
That's not a diet, it's starvation because you will NOT get enough calories to keep your body going, period (I've seen my share of the pro-anorexia stuff and that Sacred Heart thing pops up enough

I'm part of the pro-anorexia community, and the only reason that the Sacred Heart diet continuously comes up in conversation is not because of how much you're eating (and if you even LOOKED at that diet, you'd see that the people who go on it are supposed to shove their faces), it's because it WORKS. You LOSE the weight, and you are on a perfectly HEALTHY diet that has you eating this way for seven days:

Day one: ALL FRUIT
Day two: ALL VEGGIES
Day three: ALL FRUIT AND VEGGIES
Day four: BANANAS AND SKIM MILK (because your body needs the pottassium and calcium, not to mention the CALORIES)
Day five: TOMATOES AND STEAK (protein)
Day six: AS MUCH MEAT AND VEGGIES AS YOU WANT
Day seven: BROWN RICE AND VEGGIES

And all through this diet, you are eating a soup that will make you lose 10-17 pounds IN ONE WEEK. And it WORKS. I know people who have lost so much weight from it.

And the people who wrote this encourage you to eat, eat, eat. All you're doing is eating, as long as you eat what they tell you to eat. It's really not starving yourself.

Zephyrs
10-29-2004, 10:04 AM
Eating alot of food != eating enough calories to keep your body out of starvation mode. If it was that solid of a diet, there would be medical research from a doctor backing it up, and I'm not seeing any in a Google search other than personal websites posting up the EXACT SAME information. Not to mention it only comes up as an interest in livejournal for... pro-anorexics.

From http://www.dietitian.com (and I trust a licensed nutritionist over websites that post up in essence chain letters):

"Q:A friend gave my husband a copy of a diet from Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital (location??) that is supposedly used in their cardiac care unit for overweight heart patients to lose weight prior to having surgery. It's a 7-day fat-burning diet consisting of vegetable soup, fruit, vegetables, skimmed milk, lean beef or skinless chicken breast and brown rice--all of the above eaten on specific days of the seven, the soup being eaten everyday. In addition, lots of water, black coffee or tea, unsweetened fruit juice and skimmed milk are recommended daily. Have you ever heard of this?

Supposedly, you achieve a weight loss of 10-17 lb. In seven days will occur. If you have heard of it, could you give me more specifics if there are any? Thanks.

A: There is not such thing as a "fat burning diet". You "burn" fat by either eating less food than your body needs or doing aerobic exercise. What you have seems to be a variation of the cabbage soup diet. I seriously doubt that a hospital would recommend a 7-day diet for overweight heart patients, especially in a cardiac care unit. I also doubt that lots of black coffee with caffeine would be recommended since caffeine is a cardiac stimulant.

The maximum amount of weight (fat or muscle) a person can lose in a day is 1/2 pound. Any additional weight lost is water. Since the body is about 60% water and 1 gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, a person can see weight losses greater than 1/2 pound on a scale simply by losing body water. However, when your body replaces the water lost, weight gain will re-occur. So you are right back to where you started at an unhealthy weight.

Research has proven that quick weight loss is quickly regained. Studies have shown that gradual weight loss, a lower calorie / fat diet, exercise and analyzing everything you eat is more likely to result in permanent weight loss. Weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is slow enough. A goal of losing 10% of your current weight has been shown to improve your health risk and may be a more reasonable, attainable goal. So figure 10% of your weight as a weight loss goal, then divide by 1 or 2 to determine how many weeks it will take you assuming you follow this advice."

If this diet was really the silver bullet to weight loss, I'd find it in other places than the "fad diet" or "extreme diet" webpages.

Miaka No Baka
10-29-2004, 10:06 AM
NEVER do the vegitable soup diet. I felt nothing but deprived, constantly hungry and it didn't even work. I'm sorry but limiting yourself to certain foods only on certain days is not healthy. Besides you SOO easily get tired of that soup, and you get tired of whatever day's food you can only eat.

Miaka no Baka

Eriol
10-29-2004, 11:01 AM
When you deprive yourself of ALL fat in foods, your body will rarely ever feel satiated.

You won't be able to rid yourself of every fat cell. Even the best body builders have a small amount of fat.

There is no such thing as rapid weight loss over a short period of time.

Parasaurolophus
10-29-2004, 12:52 PM
When you deprive yourself of ALL fat in foods, your body will rarely ever feel satiated.

You won't be able to rid yourself of every fat cell. Even the best body builders have a small amount of fat.

There is no such thing as rapid weight loss over a short period of time.

In addition to what has been previously stated,
You also NEED some fat in order to live! Nerves are important cells- they relay sensory information, and make up your brain. Nerves send information by faint electrical current, so you can think of them essentially as wires. Would you touch an exposed wire that is plugged into a socket? I wouldn't. Fat, combined with protein insulates the cells from each other and from other tissues. Without these protective barriers, the nerves don't work, and you'd be dead. Fat molecules are also used in cell wall generation, and the list goes on. No single nutrient type should be completely demonized.

The problem with obesity is that generally people consume too many calories (from fat and otherwise) for the body to utilize, and we are natually attuned to energy storage. Fat happens to be the best way to do so. And so, although not all fat is bad, just fat in huge quantities, just as eating Vitamin C in large quanitites (as in lbs) can be bad for you too. There are so many vitamins and health benefits from all sorts of different foods that eating a variety of them really is the way to go. A diet that focuses on eating one particular type of food (angus, cabbage, candy) can't supply all of the nutrients your body needs.

Edit: I also forgot- some vitamins (A, D, E, K) are Fat-Soluble, meaning that they can only be stored in your body as fat. So fat in small amounts isn't evil- everyone needs at least some in their bodies.

newmyu
10-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm part of the pro-anorexia community, and the only reason that the Sacred Heart diet continuously comes up in conversation is not because of how much you're eating (and if you even LOOKED at that diet, you'd see that the people who go on it are supposed to shove their faces), it's because it WORKS. You LOSE the weight, and you are on a perfectly HEALTHY diet that has you eating this way for seven days:

Day one: ALL FRUIT
Day two: ALL VEGGIES
Day three: ALL FRUIT AND VEGGIES
Day four: BANANAS AND SKIM MILK (because your body needs the pottassium and calcium, not to mention the CALORIES)
Day five: TOMATOES AND STEAK (protein)
Day six: AS MUCH MEAT AND VEGGIES AS YOU WANT
Day seven: BROWN RICE AND VEGGIES

Okay, firstly, I'm not even going to START on how bad anorexia is for you, though I should, considering I watched a friend battle with it all through high school, and she STILL deals with a skewed image today, with her weight at about 105 pounds. (She's probably 5'4 or so..) For those that don't know BMI charts or remember theirs, I'm 4'11" and a healthy weight for me would be about 115 or so. Granted, I'm nowhere near that right now, but I'm using _healthy_ diet and exercise to change that, rather than a fad diet.

Now, as for this Sacred Hearts diet thing... >.<; Just looking at that weekly plan... okay, you could get the same results just eating healthily for awhile. Cutting calories down to about 1500-2000/day and changing what you eat. Instead of McD's, eat a Subway sub, regardless of what it is. Instead of a candy bar, eat a piece or two of fruit. Healthier foods generally have a higher serving size than junk food (for 250 calores of a candy bar, you could've had 4 or 5 pieces of fruit generally) and they've proven now that drinking 24 ounces of milk (2% or less milkfat) can cause you to lose weight more easily too.

It saddens me to hear that there even IS a pro-anorexia community, but since hearing about it, I HAVE heard that most search engines have banned their websites, which is good for such a destructive, self-abusive, dangerous thing. From a Psychology major's point of view, I hate to think of what it will be like when I get my degree and go into counciling. Particularly if that movement keeps going. The thing that scares me the most about it though, is the fact that there must be thousands of girls following this now, who are malnourished because of it, and are walking zombies because they aren't getting the proper vitamins. Some may even be incurring serious neural damage because of it. I eat normally and STILL had a B-vitamin deficiency. I was so tired that after 12 hours of sleep nightly, I was still ready to sleep some more, and after being put on supplements for a few months it helped a lot.

If you absolutely MUST go with the anorexia ordeal, at the very least take a couple of good multivitamins daily and a calcium supplement too. Your body will surffer less in the long run.

mojiko
10-29-2004, 03:29 PM
I don't know much about anorexia, so I may be wrong about this, but isn't it a condition where people try not to eat to lose weight? I'm not sure how that Sacred Heart diet would fit into an anorexic's regimen, seeing as how it's telling people to eat and all. Forgive my ignorance on the subject matter, but I am slightly confused :lost:

Also, I think it's kind of silly that these anorexic girls would rather listen to unfounded rumors on websites or determine what they should (or shouldn't, really) eat themselves to lose weight instead of listening to the advice of a trained, professional doctor or nutritionist. Not everyone is going to look like a supermodel, and not every supermodel is a twig.

Zephyrs
10-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Anorexics quickly realize that they cannot get away with simply not eating every day, either by getting caught or their bodies simply cannot function without any source of fuel. So they devise these "healthy, safe diets" which are far from it to trick others (and possibly themselves) that they are eating enough even though said diets have a ridiculously low daily calorie quota . Bananas and all the skim milk you want? Sorry, that's not even CLOSE to proper daily nutrition.

It's classified as starvation when you're eating under I believe it's 1000 calories a day every day. Keep on one of those anorexic-approved diets, and that's where you'll be. And that's when the health problems kick in.

Why am I bothering to keep replying even though it has nothing to do with cosplay? I've been down the eating disorder road, hell 4 years later I still haven't totally beaten it. I don't want anyone else to go through that, and given this whole site is centered around photographs, and the risk of triggering an eating disorder to "look as good as the thin girls" is ever-present. As I said, I still battle those feelings.

Scrapped Neko
10-29-2004, 04:13 PM
It saddens me to hear that there even IS a pro-anorexia community, but since hearing about it, I HAVE heard that most search engines have banned their websites, which is good for such a destructive, self-abusive, dangerous thing. From a Psychology major's point of view, I hate to think of what it will be like when I get my degree and go into counciling. Particularly if that movement keeps going. The thing that scares me the most about it though, is the fact that there must be thousands of girls following this now, who are malnourished because of it, and are walking zombies because they aren't getting the proper vitamins.
Pro-anorexia isn't the huge propaganda campaign people seem to think it is. It mostly stands for people that are inflicted with eating disorders and want to connect with others who are suffering in the same way. They don't recommend eating disorders to non sufferers, nor do they advocate them as a way to achieve weight loss. In fact, most true anorexics are insulted when people who aren't inflicted treat an eating disorder as an easy way to lose a few pounds. No one chooses to have an eating disorder.
Also, I think it's kind of silly that these anorexic girls would rather listen to unfounded rumors on websites or determine what they should (or shouldn't, really) eat themselves to lose weight instead of listening to the advice of a trained, professional doctor or nutritionist. Not everyone is going to look like a supermodel, and not every supermodel is a twig.
It's not about the perfect body or looking like a super model. Outwardly the disease seems to revolve around weight, but that's really only the tip of the ice burg. Weight control is basically a coping mechanism to deal with poor self image and feelings of emptiness.

mojiko
10-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry this is kind of straying off topic -_-;; To get back on topic (kind of), I think a lot of anime girls have large hips and boobs anyways, so trying to lose weight for cosplay might be to some folk's disadvantage! LOL

Zephyrs
10-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Scrapped Neko's right about alot of things, namely that it's not about the weight (though most of the time that's what triggers it, to control the weight) but she reminded me of a point that most people who haven't actually been there don't know.

There is a difference between having an eating disorder and being pro-eating disorders. A huge difference. Unfortunatly, many people have to go through the latter first.

reannaremick
10-29-2004, 04:39 PM
No one chooses to have an eating disorder.

Actually, that's quite wrong, I hate to break it to you. True most eating disorders are because of self esteem etc etc, but I know way too many people who've gone "okay I'm just gonna stop eating full stop because I want to be skinny" just like decided what shirt to wear, okay boom, no more food. I am not ashamed to admit I did it myself for 9 months when I was very young and very very self conscious. I knew it wasn't right, I knew what I was doing, I just wanted to be smaller so I chose to stop eating.

Now I'm healthy and happy and I've lost weight just fine without stupid fad diets.

Scrapped Neko
10-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Actually, that's quite wrong, I hate to break it to you. True most eating disorders are because of self esteem etc etc, but I know way too many people who've gone "okay I'm just gonna stop eating full stop because I want to be skinny" just like decided what shirt to wear, okay boom, no more food. I am not ashamed to admit I did it myself for 9 months when I was very young and very very self conscious. I knew it wasn't right, I knew what I was doing, I just wanted to be smaller so I chose to stop eating.

Now I'm healthy and happy and I've lost weight just fine without stupid fad diets.
I think that's where the line blurs. True, some can choose to adopt destructive behaviors. However, there's a difference between having a disorder and making a choice. Just as there's a difference between an alcoholic and someone who constantly binge drinks for recreational purposes. For most people who suffer from eating disorders, recovery is a long, hard process involving years of intensive therapy. And even then they still struggle with the disease. As a side note, I'm not just talking out of my ass here. I too have suffered from anorexia. So believe me, I'm well informed on the subject (much more than I'd like to be). I'm glad you were able to recover on your own. I'm still trying to over come it.

newmyu
10-30-2004, 01:29 AM
Pro-anorexia isn't the huge propaganda campaign people seem to think it is. It mostly stands for people that are inflicted with eating disorders and want to connect with others who are suffering in the same way. They don't recommend eating disorders to non sufferers, nor do they advocate them as a way to achieve weight loss. In fact, most true anorexics are insulted when people who aren't inflicted treat an eating disorder as an easy way to lose a few pounds. No one chooses to have an eating disorder.

The fact that there's a 'pro-anorexic' community is still disturbing to me. A support group is fine, but the name 'pro-anorexia' simply makes me think that it's a group of anorexic people sharing tips on how to go about doing it better, almost like a parenting community or a cosplay community.

I understand all too well that anorexia usually stems from a lack of self-esteem and self-worth, and that it often starts because the person feels that that is the only aspect of their life they can truly control: whether or not they eat.

As for the people that willingly stop eating I don't see the point. I know people that develop anorexia out of control or self-esteem have a reason, but...I've seen livejournals where they post how disgusted they are on this day or that 'cause they ate this candy or that, and... substituting good food for that stuff would make all the difference in the world. >.<; I myself am trying to lose weight (for my health, mind you, not for looks) and changing my diet hasn't been all that difficult, and has been really good for me.

I'm not saying that I've been there or know all about it (though give me a year or two, and I'm sure I'll be one of the ones counciling about it at a clinic or something somewhere...) but after seeing someone almost die a couple of times from it, (hers started as a self-esteem problem) it just doesn't comprehend why someone would _willingly_ do this to themselves without having other serious image problems...

Zephyrs
10-30-2004, 08:32 AM
the name 'pro-anorexia' simply makes me think that it's a group of anorexic people sharing tips on how to go about doing it better, almost like a parenting community or a cosplay community.

And that is EXACTLY what it is, which is why I posted earlier that there is a world of difference between having an eating disorder and being pro-eating disorders. It really is as scary as it sounds, and I spent the first third of my high school career into that.

Anorexia is attractive as a "quick fix" because, well, most of the girls who are such are underweight and "prettier." However, more problems quickly follow. And even to this day, sometime I wonder if getting into a hobby where the beautiful ones and those in skimpy costumes get the most attention, page hits and praise is a good choice for me, simply because I *know* I have the potential of getting triggered back into that not-healthy eating pattern because I can never look like that. But by doing all this costuming, I started to like how I looked, which goes a long way in rebuilding self-image.

mikazuki
10-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I haven't gone through all the posts in this thread but thought I'd share my opinions and tips.

First of all the majority of diets such as Atkins, South Beach, etc are crap. The best diet a person can do is to eat healthy, fresh foods as often as possible. Eating fast food or drinking softdrinks all the time is not only unhealthy due to the high amounts of sugars and salts but those items are also fattening in calories.

When I was "dieting" I cut out drinking Pepsi and switched to drinking mainly water (no less then 32 ounces a day). I ended up losing over 20 pounds in three months simply by cutting out the majority of Pepsi. I am and was a Pepsiholic and could drink a cube every other day if not faster.

I don't exercise by going to the gym, never have, but I do go for walks around my neighborhood and I walk my children to school since it's a half of a block from my house. You don't need to do heavy exercising - walking around the block, jumping with a jump rope, stretching - are all simple that practically anyone can do it. You don't need to spend so much money on equipment or fancy club memberships to gyms.

You also need to eat healthy. Eating McDonalds or Burger King or Taco Bell isn't healthy regardless if you eat off their so-called "healthy menus." The food at those places are still processed for the most part. Healthy is eating as much raw (fruits and veggies) food as you can and eat small portions of meats (chicken, beef, pork) and fish.

Did you know that dishes today are larger then dishes used in the 1940s or 1950s? Compare a dinner plate from today to one from the middle of the 20th century and you'll see that our dinner plates are the same sizes as serving dishes from the past. Our so-called dessert plates are the same size as the dinner plates from the past as well. So instead of eating off a dinner plate use a "dessert" plate so you eat less portions of food. When going out you don't have to eat everything because most places serve extra portions of food.

Nothing is wrong with eating junk food or candy or ice cream but what is wrong is eating too much or eating it too often. A piece of candy is a treat not a meal and you shouldn't eat the whole bag (or handful) in one sitting. A bag of candy should last you longer then the trip ride home from the store.

If you want to lose weight monitor what you eat and learn how many calories, fats, sugars, salt and nutritional value is in what you're eating. Look to see how many servings that item you're eating is supposed to be (like a pint of ice cream typically is four servings) and learn exactly how much you're eating when you eat.

Susumari
10-30-2004, 05:02 PM
i relized with my last cosplay, i wouldn't need to loose wait. just try the best i could do

newmyu
10-31-2004, 01:13 AM
I haven't gone through all the posts in this thread but thought I'd share my opinions and tips.

First of all the majority of diets such as Atkins, South Beach, etc are crap. The best diet a person can do is to eat healthy, fresh foods as often as possible. Eating fast food or drinking softdrinks all the time is not only unhealthy due to the high amounts of sugars and salts but those items are also fattening in calories.

When I was "dieting" I cut out drinking Pepsi and switched to drinking mainly water (no less then 32 ounces a day). I ended up losing over 20 pounds in three months simply by cutting out the majority of Pepsi. I am and was a Pepsiholic and could drink a cube every other day if not faster.

<snipped>

Actually, a friend of mine whose parents forced her onto Atkins (kept nothing in the house that wasn't Atkins-friendly, and she didn't have her license until just a couple of weeks ago... they started this a few months ago) and while yes, she did lose weight, she did it mostly from the large amounts of DDR she started doing. While on the Atkins, she started noticing that she wasn't able to do as much exercise as she had once been (she was up to about 1.5 hours/every other day) and finally asked me to help her get some more stable things in her meal plan after she started having near-fainting spells.

She's now looking into South Beach (she bought one of their books) and says that it's actually more of a healthy-eating plan, and portion control...just what most of us are advocating here. It also emphasizes whole grains instead of processed wheat flour, which is healthier anyway. So I think it might not be so much of a 'fad' diet than some of the others.

I totally agree with the soda intake though. ^_^ It can make ALL the difference. The funny thing is, it always surprises people when they buy a 20 oz bottle, and say, "Oh, it's only got 100 calories." and I tell them that it's actually 250, because the serving is 2.5. These are the same people that drink two or three 20 oz bottles/day, or more! *!!* Think about it. 4 of those bottles equals 1000 calories. You could've eaten an ENTIRE McDonald's value meal for that, and then some. >.<; You also could have, instead, eaten a *very large* meal with a core of fruits and veggies, some lean meat, and probably even some bread or pasta that you made yourself, and been overfull.

Vegetto's Girl
11-13-2004, 06:15 PM
I know there is probably a question probably like this some where in the forum but i need help, i need to lose whieght, but i barley get any soda, i am usually don't get much candy, i can't excersize in the morning cause school starts too earlly or it is too cold out, in the afternoons now it is too dark by the time i get my homework done, i don't own a excersizing machine, and the only ways i really get excersize is from gym and karate, what should i do? please help! :waaaah:

newmyu
11-13-2004, 10:01 PM
I know there is probably a question probably like this some where in the forum but i need help, i need to lose whieght, but i barley get any soda, i am usually don't get much candy, i can't excersize in the morning cause school starts too earlly or it is too cold out, in the afternoons now it is too dark by the time i get my homework done, i don't own a excersizing machine, and the only ways i really get excersize is from gym and karate, what should i do? please help! :waaaah:

Really, the only thing would be to change WHAT you eat and how much of it you eat... look at portion sizes and eat the recommended amounts in the food pyramid guide, and eat fruits or veggies as snacks if you're still hungry.

Ideally, you'd also be getting 8-10 8 oz glasses of water/day too, which also helps with weight loss. Essentially, you're looking for a healthy diet with few processed or fast foods and more healthy homemade stuff.

Exercise options are much wider than a gym or karate though. You could go to your library and get a book(s) on yoga, pilates, judo, tae kwan do, aerobics, ballet, ect and use them to develop your own exercise program, something that would be fun and interesting for you to do. There are also games, like Dance Dance Revolution, which are played by dancing on a pad on the floor. There's a million-and-one things you can do at home, in your own room, even, to keep yourself fit beyond jumping jacks and crunches.. :)

Whatever anyone tells you however, it isn't healthy to cut your eating back beyond 1500 calories/day. Your body needs at least 1200-1300 just to function properly, and any less and you'll likely go into starvation mode after a few days, and end up gaining weight more easily, even if you AREN'T eating anything. It'll also stay like that, quite possibly permanantly.

Anyhow, I personally used to take ballet classes (I wish I never got out of it honestly!) and I can vouch that it's an EXCELLENT workout. Mind you, I'm not talking pointe ballet (which requires toeshoes) but regular ballet, which requires a pair of ballet shoes that you can get at Payless for $16 or so. ^_^ It can be a lot of fun, it helps with muscle tone and flexibility, and is a great workout. :)