PDA

View Full Version : costumes for large girls

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 01:23 PM
what costumes would be good for someone who is.. not to be mean in anyway but..'large'..or 'fat'? Like.. its so hard and if it covers the skin, it usually is like.. tight or somehting o___o;

any suggestions?

KuroBara
12-18-2002, 01:27 PM
You can't go wrong with something long and flowy, like some of the .hack//SIGN costumes (Tsukasa, BT). There are always modifications you can make to make any costume more flattering such as changing hemlines.

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 01:28 PM
o_o but what if youve never made a costume before..or you dont have much exp. with doing things like that (xD i want that game!!)

KuroBara
12-18-2002, 01:31 PM
I want that game too. Buy a pattern! Figure out which costume you want to do, then bring a few pictures with you to the fabric store. Browse through the books until you find a pattern similar to the character design. You can usually find one close enough to modify. Or, enlist the help of a relative / friend who sews.

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 01:34 PM
xD oh.. i see. now i get where your going. i did that with a kimono once.. ~_~; it was annoying though.. Mm thanks!x3 im glad i got newtype and animage in NYC.. they have alot of stuff on .//hack... and what-not.

Mink
12-18-2002, 01:55 PM
Yeah the latest newtype rocked my socks....I love that mag....I just wish it were cheaper...

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 02:05 PM
-__- ahh i think its worth it.. i mean..the quality of it.. the paper they use.. the color.. and the stuff in it. I mean it IS worth it.. now to convince my mom to subscribe me to it xD thats another story.. but i think she might.. (im so convincing xD)

Koumori
12-18-2002, 02:11 PM
If we let the fact that we don't look like cartoons stop us from cosplaying, then there would be no cosplayers. There's no reason you can't make any costume that you like, if you're willing to make a few modifications to make it flatter you; I'm a size 10, and I avoid costumes that expose a lot of skin, and costumes that are primarily Lycra, but other than that, I don't think that's a major consideration for me; I just try to find costumes that are flattering to ME. So in my case, I'm generally attracted to costumes with longer skirts, possibly costumes that show off my shoulders, and costumes that don't show tons of leg. Just use a discriminating eye and think "how would that look on me?" Don't be unrealistic, but don't let the fact that you're not a leggy size zero stop you from doing what you'd like to do, either.

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 02:15 PM
`_` your words made me feel better.. thank you! that helps me alot now.. what you just said.. >_<; thanks! now i realize the truth about cosplaying *_* serisouly! yay!

michanchan
12-18-2002, 05:29 PM
just make something that you would feel comfortible wearing. it is just something fun and expressive. ^_^

KuroBara
12-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Sorry if I was discouraging at all, it's not what I meant at all. Koumori was very right, none of us are shaped like anime characters. Good luck with whatever costume you choose.

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 06:36 PM
No one was discouraging. its just with how she put it! -^_^-

elfinder
12-18-2002, 06:59 PM
I think really it depends on the person, I myself stay away from bikini and costumes that show the stomach. But if I wanna do a costume that has a short skirt, bah I just lengthen the skirt a bit!

Tenjou
12-18-2002, 07:06 PM
I guess I'm not what you would call large, but I'm still concious about my weight and body proportions, so I don't think I'll ever do a bikini, but school-girl type costumes and shirt/pant combos are good, since I usually wear t-shirts and pants and the school-girl thing isn't too feminine for me. ^^; Playing dress-up in gowns and dresses is nice once in awhile, but the cuts they have nowadays don't really flatter my figure.

Tamoko
12-18-2002, 07:58 PM
I figure something from like.. whats his name. He did touch but he usually draws the school uniforms..the skirts long. He never does short skirts.

Koumori
12-18-2002, 10:21 PM
If you want to go the school uniform route, there are plenty of school uniforms with long skirts. Naturally I can't think of any off the top of my head, but Uo-chan and Hana-chan from "Fruits Basket" both wear longer skirts (Uo-chan's is almost to her ankles). Since it sounds like you don't have much sewing experience, though, my advice is always to start with something not too complicated (and pleated skirts are harder than they look, if you want a really good fit) - flowing robes always work well and aren't too challenging for a first project.

Tamoko
12-19-2002, 05:44 AM
i have sewn.. just not much but i do know how and my mom is like master at it.. xD she used to make me halloween costumes.. Once i was arial the mermaid! o_o; it was good..

Anyway, i can just do some practice things to master it! xD all i need to do now i learn how to make things..

Hikaruchan
12-19-2002, 12:17 PM
Well, I am definitely a large sized cosplayer - so might take a look in my gallery to see what costumes look good on a person with some meat on them. Costumes I started out with were looser ones til I got my confidence up - so might consider Fushigi Yuugi costumes as alot are just robes with belt to fit it in one place. Also did Karla the Grey Witch which was long dress fitted underbust with cloak. Usually try to avoid short skirts, but will do them if lengthen them a little. If a big girl I would also advise against bare upper arm costumes, as they can look bad also. If the character wears gloves I will probably still do it, it is only when the whole arm is bare that there seems to be a problem - at least on me.

Koumori
12-19-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
Well, I am definitely a large sized cosplayer - so might take a look in my gallery to see what costumes look good on a person with some meat on them. Costumes I started out with were looser ones til I got my confidence up - so might consider Fushigi Yuugi costumes as alot are just robes with belt to fit it in one place. Also did Karla the Grey Witch which was long dress fitted underbust with cloak. Usually try to avoid short skirts, but will do them if lengthen them a little. If a big girl I would also advise against bare upper arm costumes, as they can look bad also. If the character wears gloves I will probably still do it, it is only when the whole arm is bare that there seems to be a problem - at least on me.

Yup yup on all counts. I find the straight-yet-flowing lines of my Nuriko outfit do a lot to make me look slimmer, even though really it's just piling on tons of fabric. *And* it's a very luxurious, gorgeous costume, so it's a big confidence booster. I have the same problem with arms, though as a drummer I have the double issue of my arms being both muscular *and* nicely padded. I have a curvy figure so I tend to try to throw emphasis onto my shoulders or waist.

Rethul
12-19-2002, 10:39 PM
*Maybe Rainoa can exert enough oh-so-troublesome willpower to lift his finger off of the capslock key*

Anyway, I say do what you want but try and be reasonable. Anything long looks good on near anybody.

Hikaruchan
12-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Yep, they can dress as anything they want, just like I do and don't give a flip what trolls say. I just have more sense then to think I could get away with dressing like Puni Puni Poemi or Faye Valentine.

Hikaruchan
12-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Well, its nice that troll Rainoa comments got deleted - Rethul and I at least saw comments before they were taken out of thread

Koumori
12-20-2002, 09:10 AM
I saw them too. Classic troll garbage. Glad Tamoko missed them.

Ashe
12-24-2002, 07:58 PM
I agree a lot with what's been said here - there are ways to make most stuff work. Also, long flowing robes tend to work better- I made myself an Asuka of Fahren costume from Magic Knights Rayearth, and I love it, because no matter how much weight I gain it still covers me and it still looks good.
But I think you're also attacking this from the wrong persepective- what you should figure out first is who you WANT to cosplay. Theres nothing more unexciting than cosplaying someone you don't enjoy, even if "the costume is perfect for you." So I would say first make a list of who you'd like to cosplay as, and then try and figure out which costumes might work best, or how you could modify a costume to work better.

peaseblossom
12-27-2002, 11:50 AM
Tomoko: Tailored costumes can be very flattering on a larger woman. Especially in darker colours. Tailoring helps accentuate your favorite things about your body!

Tamoko
12-27-2002, 02:02 PM
o.o; Ohh this must be someone of an issue with some people at times! n_n everyone helps out soo much.. And Trool Rinoa? What she say? o_O; something like big people shouldnt cosplay or something?

Koumori
12-28-2002, 09:26 AM
It was troll garbage, don't worry about it. And yes, this is an issue with *everybody* - we all like to look our best, and everybody needs to spend a few minutes figuring out what is right for them, no matter how big or small.

Kendo_Bunny
12-28-2002, 12:52 PM
I deal with the weight issue by dressing as guys ^^; It generally comes out pretty well... there are always plenty of broad shouldered anime guys, and they usually have broad chests, which means less binding. Costumes that fit that are guys like Folken (Escaflowne), just about any male from Bastard!, Ilapalazzo (Excel Saga), and Shikadiou (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne). Most of them wear long capes, and long pants, or robes. I don't know if this is helpful, but cross-play can be pretty fun.

Tamoko
12-28-2002, 03:11 PM
:B Excel saga!! YAYH! ^_^ and if i did see that troll garbage.. i may have gotten andry and said a few things.. n___n If i could be a guy ide wanna do Mitsukake in drag.. :B

Kendo_Bunny
12-28-2002, 07:57 PM
^_^ I loved Mitsukake in drag! That was my favorite part of the whole series.
I'm trying to work on an Ilapalazzo costume, but I've already been booked to do a Tomoe and a Rin first. I'm also considering such nice options as Access Time (full-size), Sesshou-maru, Raiel, and maybe, eventually, Arc the Lad. If anyone recognizes me I get glomped ^_^

AnimeParty
12-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Sometimes it depends on how big you are. I'd love to wear many outfits, but its hard to fit into anything these days. I'm really big and it hasen't stoped me yet. I have recently wanted to do a Kaolla Su cosplay but her shirt comes up a bit too far, so I asked it to be longer (this one I didn't make >_<) Baggy outfits are better to wear. Stay away from the tight, short and reveiling ones. I find that male outfits are better to wear, because of my size.

Miaka No Baka
12-29-2002, 11:48 AM
I guess I'd be considered one of the larger cosplayers myself. But it all depends on your body shape on what will look best on you. I've got the hourglass figure so I do something fitted on top and have it flare out as it gets to the waist and hips and it looks good. I still wear something short like a tennis skirt, but I wear a pair of bike shorts underneath for the sense of comfort. ^_^; But it all depends on what you feel comfortable wearing. I wouldn't go out and cosplay naga, although I've got the chest for it, my stomach and thighs just have to say no. ^_^; There's always modifying it to fit you how u see fit. No one is gonna go "gosh they ruined that character by making her skirt down to her knees instead of barely covering her ass" no, in fact they'll respect you more cause you know what looks good on you. I'd rather see an "inaccurate" (using this loosely meaning you modified it so it covers more of u) costume on a larger person than an accurate skimpy one on a larger person.

You can take a look at my webage and see if there's anything that interests you on there.

http://blake.prohosting.com/cactuar/cosplay/

Miaka no Baka

Scrapps
12-29-2002, 02:27 PM
Most importantly: wear something that you are comfortable in. I would never wear a costume that showed off my stomach....(I don't want to blind people). If you don't like your arms..find a costume that covers your arms.

Personally I try to accentuate my curves....or lack thereof..I love costumes with an obi...or something like Suzuka from Angelic Layer wears.

btw...Miaka. I was looking at your costumes (very nice) and I was wondering how you did the pink on the sleeves of Yuna? I need to do something similar for my Sumomo costume.

Zephyrs
12-29-2002, 03:02 PM
I'm very self-concious, so I would rather go way over my "safety line" that undershoot it... for Otakon I am definatly doing one crossplay that only shows face and elbows down, and possibly a long sleeved dress that reaches to the ankles. again, it's all what you are most comfortable it, I haven't worn a pair of shorts or sleeveless shirts in years so there's not way I'd do it for a costume...

Miaka No Baka
12-30-2002, 11:12 AM
For my yuna sleeves I did a method of the following:

I purchased rit dye in the rose color I believe. I also got a rectangle bucket from walmart they said it was made for mops or something. Why I got that was so the fabric wouldn't have to be folded when I put it into the bucket. I followed the directions on the back of the box, Im not sure if I used 1 or 2 boxes of dye, but the darker/brighter/vivid the color use 2. I used a cabinate door to put the sleeve over so just the bottom part was in the water then with a Tbs measuring spoon I dragged the water up higher on the sleeve until it was colored how I liked. I think I waited maybe 15 or 30 mins but i did that the whole time with dragging the water up the sleeve. Then I rinsed in the sink as directions said.

For dying you're best off using natural fabrics like cotton. Polyester won't take dye and most man-made fabrics wont either.

Miaka no Baka

Scrapps
12-30-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks! I'm definitly going to have to practice on something first though...I've been messing everything up lately....

thatrelenagirl
01-11-2003, 10:29 PM
I'd say cover your upper arms, stomach, and upper legs, and you'd be good (at least that's what I do). But do what you think looks appropriate, and in your comfort level.

MikigamiTokiya
01-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I agree w/ koumiri that your size shouldn't mean anything because as long as the costume is accurate you're gonna look col and people will take pica and that's all that really matters ne? It's my personal opinon larger people make great moogle type things and chibis because they're just so huggable *_* one of my friends' mom is pretty big yet she has a ton of fun w/ it and is one of the people I know and she just goes w/ it and does the jello jiggler dance lol ^^;; it's so funny and she has a good time, she'd make a great chibi too .... a reaaly tall one but she has thoes squishy chibi like baby cheeks ^^

Kellie
01-12-2003, 11:46 AM
^_^ I agree with everyone on this. At first I was a bit eh about cosplaying because of my weight, but when I did it, I had so much fun. I guess when you cosplay, you're doing it because you want to. Don't let things like how you long constrict you on having fun.

Leon
01-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Hmm.....I'm pretty much with everyone that says to cosplay as whoever you want to. Personally, I'm pretty chubby myself (And I know a few cosplayers with ampler proportions), so I wouldn't dare do anything that didn't give much torso coverage, nor would I wear anything that was completely of spandex, so I couldn't do, say, one of the Hurricangers. But most of the costumes I've wanted to do could be modified to fit me (I was thinking of going as M. Bison from SFII, just wearing a girdle for a bit of a slimming effect) or don't need many modifications (Also thought of going as Mario!!)

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 05:41 AM
Hm.
A size 10 isn't all that big you know. I just kind of poked my head in to see what people would say about the larger cosplayers.
Anyway, I myself have a large bust, and I can't stand showing it off. I also have large thighs..At least I think so.
I believe that you should wear what you want to wear, but make sure to have enough pride to know what you should and should not do, other wise people will talk about you behind your back, I've heard that several times about the larger cosplayers. It's very sad, but it does happen.
I've been crossplaying so far. I dislike dressing like a female for cosplay, because I am a female everyday.
I have a DD cup, so I use a back brace that I bought at CVS and pull that over my breasts, over a T-shirt and bra. I basically have nothing by the time I'm done. ^__^
You could probably use a backbrace as well for something like your stomach, to give you a nice flat area. Although I highly recommend wearing a undershirt under the backbrace; otherwise you might be in for a load of pain.

Hikaruchan
01-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Vialoi,

My sister is around same cup size as you and has large hips also. She just normally wears fairly loose female costumes, there are a couple she did that were not loose and don't think she plans on wearing most of them again as she wasn't happy with how it looked. Her profile with pics I took is at http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/complete.asp?memberid=2842

I think I was a size 10 maybe in middle school, but I am large framed. But depending on the body frame, a person that size might have issues especially if small framed.

Vialoi Ketsueke
01-14-2003, 02:56 PM
That's true. It does depend on the frame, and height. I sometimes forget my height. lol

marsie
09-18-2003, 09:40 PM
Some people have forgotten that big is BEAUTIFUL!

I am now a size 12 and if anyone has a problem with my cosplaying they can not look.

Hun, do a costume you LIKE, now if you feel uncomfortable in super skimpy then like everyone else said make it longer.

I cosplay as the characters I like, I could care less if someone doesn't like to look at my fat rolls.
I had some nasty comments at shoujocon when I wore my "hot springs" Kitsune. I just got right in their skinny little face and explained to them how easy it would be to break them in two. ^_^

To make a long story short, people are cruel and those who would make you feel uncomfortable in what you are wearing would do so to anyone. Wear what YOU like, don't not make a costume just because you don't fit into "society's" standards.

Himemiya
09-18-2003, 10:08 PM
The key to large-girl cosplaying is not limiting your cosplay characters, but your costumes! F'rinstance, if I really really liked Lum, and wanted to cosplayer her.... I would not do the fur bikini. XD I would do a school uniform!

Eriol
09-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Robes, cloaks, capes, puffy gloves (Digi Carat), long dresses, and looser clothing make hiding imperfections easier.

As everybody has said, if you are not comfortable showing parts of your body, you can always modify the costume to make it work for you.

Hikaruchan definitely knows how to make costumes work for her.

Koumori
09-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Robes, cloaks, capes, puffy gloves (Digi Carat), long dresses, and looser clothing make hiding imperfections easier.

Yes and no. Shrouding yourself in yards and yards of fabric often just makes you look bigger. I find it's most flattering to wear things that are fitted to my upper body and then fuller over my hips and thighs - wearing voluminous gowns just makes me look enormous; giving some definition to my shape is MUCH more flattering for me.

Tiirz
09-19-2003, 03:42 PM
Yeah, yards and yards can make you look bigger! I've costumed a few of my larger friends, and it isn't always flattering. Avoid wide belts unless you're long waisted.

And it does matter how tall you are and your frame size. I'm 5'10", and when I dropped below a size 10, my hipbones started jutting out, and some of my friends called me 'willowy'. Remember that designer size 4 is actually a size 8. I've worked in the industry, I know. An article in one of the health magazines was showing some top runway models of 5'10" and taller, and they weighed 135 pounds to 165 pounds, and this is at model thinness!

If you like Hellsing and want a schoolgirl outfit with a longer skirt, in the flashback sequence, the 13 year old Integra has a long pleated skirt and a long sleeve shirt.