PDA

View Full Version : Kimono panel at AZ 05?

michiko-chan
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
I know that some anime fans are also interested in wearing kimono, for cosplay or just because they want to. However, I've noticed that some people might have a kimono or yukata but don't quite know how to wear it.

So, how many people would be interested in attending a kimono panel?

Right now, my plan is to talk briefly about history of kimono and different types of kimono and obi (age appropriateness, situations to wear them, fabrics, patterns, etc.). I also plan to demonstrate how to wear a yukata by dressing myself and will probably take volunteers from the audience to dress them in something more elaborate, like a furisode. (and I want to make a flyer with useful books, websites, etc. that people can use to learn more on their own)
At this point, I don't know if I'll be able to cover men's kimono as well, because I'm a woman and don't know much about men's kimono nor do I own any. (unless some nice kimono-wearing guy wants to volunteer to help me :p )

*EDIT* The kimono panel is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Kilayi
10-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I would be interested in going, it sounds to be a good idea :3

Asjova
10-11-2004, 01:13 PM
So, how many people would be interested in attending a kimono panel?

i second the motion

Chuuie
10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
i think a kimono panel is a great idea! if they could get a pro to come in and put a kimono on someone (not just a crummy little yukata, I mean a nice one, impress the audience)

though, i feel like i may be a bit blasphemous to say this, but i dont really like people wearing kimono at cons. i sort of feel that kimono are more ethnic garb than costume... you dont see too many white people running around in kente cloth, you know what i mean? its no so much as a disrespect for the kimono... but when i see people wearing kimono at cons, it just makes me think they are pretending to be japanese. its sort of like using japanese words in conversation... if you arent japanese, you arent entirely entitled to some stuff, you know? bah ^^ (I still want a kimono though lol. Id just wear it at home when i dont think anyones around- like buisnessmen and high heel shoes lol)

michiko-chan
11-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Sure, kimono aren't exactly costumes (though some costumes are kimono like Botan, Kikyo, Kaede, etc.) but that doesn't mean people can't wear them at cons.
People who wear kimono aren't trying to be Japanese, they're just showing an appreciation for another culture's traditional garment. I don't see clothing as being confined to a particular nation or culture. Just because one doesn't see many white people in kimono (or kente cloth, saris, qi pao, hanbok, etc.) doesn't mean they shouldn't wear those things. It might look a little strange or silly but there's nothing really wrong with that. (heck, sometimes I feel a little weird wearing a kimono)

its sort of like using japanese words in conversation... if you arent japanese, you arent entirely entitled to some stuff, you know?
I don't understand what you're trying to say. That Japanese people have a "right" or entitlement to speak Japanese and wear kimono but other people do not? That sounds rather elitist.

Finding Beauty
11-05-2004, 11:32 PM
Hm. Not to start an argument on this board or anything, but I AM making a costume (Oriya) that consists of two kimonos. So, a kimono can be used as a costume, Chuuie. In fact, there are lots of costumes that have them.

Anyhow. Michiko -- I think it sounds like a good idea. I'm actually working on a man's kimono at the moment (two, actually -- as mentioned above) ... but I don't know if it would be of adequate quality to really show on a panel.

EnigmaticAngst
11-05-2004, 11:35 PM
i think a kimono panel is a great idea! if they could get a pro to come in and put a kimono on someone (not just a crummy little yukata, I mean a nice one, impress the audience)

though, i feel like i may be a bit blasphemous to say this, but i dont really like people wearing kimono at cons. i sort of feel that kimono are more ethnic garb than costume... you dont see too many white people running around in kente cloth, you know what i mean? its no so much as a disrespect for the kimono... but when i see people wearing kimono at cons, it just makes me think they are pretending to be japanese. its sort of like using japanese words in conversation... if you arent japanese, you arent entirely entitled to some stuff, you know? bah ^^ (I still want a kimono though lol. Id just wear it at home when i dont think anyones around- like buisnessmen and high heel shoes lol)

Hmm ... you're not Japanese ... I don't see why you really should have much say in the matter. While I dislike otaku, I am yet to meet a Japanese person who is offended by cosplay or otaku, et cetera.

Sh!bby
11-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Hmm ... you're not Japanese ... I don't see why you really should have much say in the matter. While I dislike otaku, I am yet to meet a Japanese person who is offended by cosplay or otaku, et cetera.
completely agreed there, Anna.

It shouldn't make a difference whether or not you're Japanese.

EnigmaticAngst
11-07-2004, 12:09 AM
completely agreed there, Anna.

It shouldn't make a difference whether or not you're Japanese.

It's like ... I'm Irish. I don't get offended when people wear Claddaghs even though traditionally they were Gaelic wedding bands.

trim no max
05-23-2005, 01:06 PM
so, is there a kimono panel this year?

GreatSG
05-23-2005, 11:29 PM
. While I dislike otaku, I am yet to meet a Japanese person who is offended by cosplay or otaku, et cetera.

I've met plenty of people both Asian and not who are completely fed up with otaku speaking 'Japanglish'

Saying things like "ZOMG! Hai! Pocky is the most kawaii food ever desu-chan! Wai!" is beyond idiotic.

But I do say people are allowed to wear what they want at a convention, barring that what they wear isn't going to offend anyone or make most people go :mfg:

Anyway, to the original poster, it's a little late to be asking if a panel would be cool, I sent my e-mail in for a panel three months ago and I only just got it confirmed TODAY! It would be a neat panel that's for sure and there have been plenty of culture panels at AZ before, so here's hoping you get your panel and all that, although the con is in three days.

michiko-chan
05-25-2005, 07:55 PM
so, is there a kimono panel this year?
Yes! It's on Saturday at 10 a.m. I don't know which room yet, but look for it in the schedule.

Anyway, to the original poster, it's a little late to be asking if a panel would be cool, I sent my e-mail in for a panel three months ago and I only just got it confirmed TODAY! It would be a neat panel that's for sure and there have been plenty of culture panels at AZ before, so here's hoping you get your panel and all that, although the con is in three days.
You should have checked the post date, I started this thread in October 2004. That's also when I first emailed Animazement about doing a kimono panel and I didn't get a response until late April.