PDA

View Full Version : how can a-kon be better

SIT BOY!
10-11-2004, 07:55 PM
i dont know if the a-kon staff will ever read this but if anyone wants to make a few suggestions about how to make a-kon better please repley

Anna
10-11-2004, 08:07 PM
The only complaint I had was the arcade, but that's already been talked to death in another topic.

Proz
10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Learn basic customer service 101. A-kon is the only con I've gone to where I'm treated like **** by security. I was purposely embarrassed by the registration desk when I lost my badge. I was treated like cattle when trying to go the concert.

And yet even glarringly obviously problems like overkill of signs are given a blind eye.

Sigh, I still plan to be there for 2005 just to give Akon another chance. I'm pondering if in the future I should just save my money to skip it for cons that were fun (Otakon) and cons that look like fun (AWA, ACen).

ZakuKitty
10-12-2004, 12:36 AM
The security was not that impressive.. It was not only me but also my friends who disliked the staff. Perhaps finding people who are more willing to help people and not get stressed out or something. I realize that people get frustrated but I have never had such a problem with them before. o_0

Rip_The_Hunter
10-12-2004, 03:14 AM
better well known voice actors. Last akon, the only voice actor i recognized was Scott McNeil. they need to get Johnny Yong Bosch(vash, loca tx boy ^^), Steven Blum(spike), Wendee Lee(Faye). Some Jap manga peoples wouldn't be a bad idea either, like Kohta Hirano(hellsing) or Rumiko Takahashi(inuyasha).

Wedge
10-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Elevators. 'Nuff said.

Yusuke Urameshi
10-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Heh, now that I think about it I do remember something...

The Security needs to brighten up a bit, and communication between them needs to be increased. When my friends and I were waiting in line to get into the Do As Infinity concert the line was really curvy. This wouldn't have been a problem but....They let the people at the beginning AND THE END of the line in first (misconmmunication/management)!!! needless to say we just walked in like we owned the place when the chaos of the line formed.(wasn't about to be screwed over because we were in the middle of the line)

Skyline Kyo
10-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Hmm, well they took a nice huge step with moving hotels from 03 to 04 so I'm happy with that. Personally though, I would LOVE to see A-kon being hosted at the Gaylord Texan Resort. That hotel is AMAZING!

Tia
10-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Wendee Lee was not an option this year. The only con she was doing was AFO and she couldn't even be there in person. It was supposed to be a tele-conference, but ended up being a cell phone call. ;_; So yeah, she couldn't have made it. I don't know about Johnny Yong Bosch. There are *plenty* of Austin crew from ADV to fill out a con, though.

Rip_The_Hunter
10-13-2004, 05:01 PM
i know Johnny Yong Bosh, Steven Blum and the dude who does the voice of Jet on Cowboy Bebop(sorry i can't remember his name exactly) were at AnimeFest this year. I love the location of Akon this year ^_^ it's several blocks away from my apartment ^o^!

but i wanna meet Jonathan Klein (one of four english producers of the Hellsing anime).

SIT BOY!
10-13-2004, 08:04 PM
i agree with wedge those elevators were way to crowded my friend had to wait almost an hour for one

Cat-Chans
11-11-2004, 02:20 AM
Elevators. 'Nuff said.
Truer words have never been spoken.
I just can't wait till they move out of the Adam's Mark...not that it isn't good and all, but seriously, 30 minute elevator backup. That should be illegal.

SIT BOY!
11-11-2004, 03:32 AM
i wonder what hotel theyll be in for A-kon 17 hopefully one with alot of elevators

it was great that the dealers room was so huge and i liked the fact that i could go across that bridge and get food whever i wanted but thats all i liked about the adams mark

Truer words have never been spoken.
I just can't wait till they move out of the Adam's Mark...not that it isn't good and all, but seriously, 30 minute elevator backup. That should be illegal.

Skyline Kyo
11-11-2004, 10:05 AM
I was one of the lucky ones who got a hotel at a different wing ^^; Anyways, I've seen those lines for elevators... that was ridiculous. It would have been better if the hotel maybe place everyone equally around the buildings?

Everyone needs to see pictures of the Gaylord Texan Resort! Here's some pictures I took of it during Quakecon: http://www.geocities.com/darkkyo2000/quakecon/

Can you just IMAGINE A-kon being held there??? O___O

SIT BOY!
11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
what a nice hotel where is it i dont know if a-kon could ever be held there it would cost everyone an arm and a leg

I was one of the lucky ones who got a hotel at a different wing ^^; Anyways, I've seen those lines for elevators... that was ridiculous. It would have been better if the hotel maybe place everyone equally around the buildings?

Everyone needs to see pictures of the Gaylord Texan Resort! Here's some pictures I took of it during Quakecon: http://www.geocities.com/darkkyo2000/quakecon/

Cat-Chans
11-13-2004, 02:53 AM

I heard from someone that 17 is supposed to be held there, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. Gaylord is a wonderful place for a con, the place is huge, and there are plenty of resturants at the mills within a 5 minute drive.

Gaylord is in Grapevine by the way, its near DFW airport.

SIT BOY!
11-13-2004, 05:58 AM
um are there any restarants next to the hotel

I heard from someone that 17 is supposed to be held there, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. Gaylord is a wonderful place for a con, the place is huge, and there are plenty of resturants at the mills within a 5 minute drive.

Gaylord is in Grapevine by the way, its near DFW airport.

Kagz
11-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Well I didn't have a problem with the elevator.... heh... I just took the stairs... cause im an impacient person... and lost about 6 or 7 pounds in 3 days because we were in one of the upper floors. lol. So yeah... I like were Akon is because of the little Mall food court skate rink thing! IM so bringing my Ice skates next year for that. And I hope they keep it at the same location also because I think they will do a better job now that they know what there working with... not to mention that the elevator problem is the hotels bust... I agree that they should have spread everyone around equally. I think they should work on setting up the cosplay stuff up better... that was disscussed in another thing though so I wont ramble on about that again. Hmmm.... And they should make maps of where stuff is... they may have but I didn't see any.

SIT BOY!
11-14-2004, 12:49 PM
i hope A-kon 17 is at that gaylor hotel that looks like a pretty nice hotel

Well I didn't have a problem with the elevator.... heh... I just took the stairs... cause im an impacient person... and lost about 6 or 7 pounds in 3 days because we were in one of the upper floors. lol. So yeah... I like were Akon is because of the little Mall food court skate rink thing! IM so bringing my Ice skates next year for that. And I hope they keep it at the same location also because I think they will do a better job now that they know what there working with... not to mention that the elevator problem is the hotels bust... I agree that they should have spread everyone around equally. I think they should work on setting up the cosplay stuff up better... that was disscussed in another thing though so I wont ramble on about that again. Hmmm.... And they should make maps of where stuff is... they may have but I didn't see any.

Rip_The_Hunter
11-15-2004, 05:47 PM
if you explore downtown Dallas, there are tons of resturants. On Mon-Fri business hours only, the underground tunnel is jam packed with resturants and shoe replair stores.

I hope they keep A-Kon at the Adams Mark Hotel. Currently, A-kon is held in downtown Dallas's largest hotel, it's very easy to get to, and very convenant. Personally i liked the Adams Mark better than Hyatt at DFW International, cause the Hyatt was small, difficult location, and hard to find. Plus, one doesn't need to stay at the Adams Mark inorder to go to akon, there are several hotels located in downtown Dallas. Like Hyatt Regency which lies at the foot of Reunion tower (tower with ball on top), Le Meridien Dallas(Pearl & Bryan), The Magnolia Hotel (Akard & Main), Adolphus Hotel(Akard & Commerce), and Wyndam Anatole Dallas (Main & Harwood).

I wonder if A-Kon will do more advertizements? Like newspaper adds, commercials for local TV and radio channels.

if you have any more questions afout downtown dallas please let me know **lives 2-3 blocks from Adams Mark**.

SIT BOY!
11-15-2004, 08:44 PM
uh sure id like to know were the gaylor hotel is just in case A-kon 17 is there

Rip_The_Hunter
11-16-2004, 04:49 AM
O_O i think it's close to fort worth, in grapevine actually. I have no clue on how to get to the gaylord texan, but it's to out of the way for me and if akon is held there, i definately will not go.

Gaylord Texan (http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan/)

Skyline Kyo
11-16-2004, 10:28 AM
Just from my experiences, it's a real pain to get there lol. The place is still fairly new so some people don't know its exact location. But trust me, its an AMAZING hotel.

SIT BOY!
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
that hotel sounds great i wonder if A-kon will ever be held there

Just from my experiences, it's a real pain to get there lol. The place is still fairly new so some people don't know its exact location. But trust me, its an AMAZING hotel.

Skyline Kyo
11-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Woo, found a video of me in the elevator going up.
It's a SPECTACULAR view of the hotels main center:

http://www.geocities.com/darkkyo2000/quakecon/gaylordtexan.mpg

Rip_The_Hunter
11-16-2004, 09:34 PM
linky no good

Cat-Chans
11-17-2004, 01:33 AM
um are there any restarants next to the hotel
Sadly, not within walking distance. The hotel dose have a resturant...it's pretty good, I've eaten there.

It is within a 5 minute drive of Grapevine Mills, and they have a huge food court, fast food as well as a chilis and corner bakery...there's also a Steak N shake and some other resturants around the mall.

There are also a couple of hotels around the area too, an Embasy and a homewood suites...so you wouldn't have to get a room in the gaylord.

I personaly hope they move it to Gaylord, It's a nicer hotel...and its 15 minutes from my house ^^; I got lost trying to get to the Adam's Mark D:

SIT BOY!
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
lol my friend got a bit lost trying to find the adams mark too

oh does the gaylor have any resturants in the hotel

Skyline Kyo
11-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Right click and chose save as for the link to view it.

As for restarurants, yeah there were a few in the hotel but VERY expensive. If you go down the street a bit though, theres TONS of places to eat. Then there's the odd drive-through beer store... lol.

Asmaria
11-17-2004, 09:46 PM
There's an awesome italian place if you follow the rail. It's walking distance but we took the rail cause we're lazy XD I don't remember the name, but if you went out the end that the elevators were on, and continued down that way, you'll get to it. Unfortunately they weren't open on Sunday though. :/

SIT BOY!
11-18-2004, 08:42 AM
my friend doesnt like to take the car out of the parking lot after we find a place to park cause she might not be able to find another spot to park

anyway if the resturants in the gaylor are expensive i dont know if A-kon should be there

oh how much are the rooms at the gaylor if thier gonna be more expensive then the adams mark then the a-kon staff might not be able to get the gaylor to give a discount to the a-koners

Cynthia
11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Oh, along with the many that have already mentioned it...Security needs VAST improvement.

I also lost my badge at the convention. Thank gawd some nice person returned it thought. I mainly went to security to report it because it was an "Exhibitor's Badge" and that meant that someone could get into the Exhibitor's space during non-exhibitor's hours. I was told not to worry because "they knew all the exhibitors" and therefore no one would be allowed in--they didn't even bother to take my name down. Yet, I'd been there 8am that morning sitting behind an exhibitor's booth, nobody came and asked me who I was, and I'd CERTAINLY never met any of the security before so I KNOW they didn't know me.

I've seen how other conventions have handled situations like this. And it was a bad move on their part.

Staff wise (can't answer for voice actors here) there wasn't that many ADV people there. I've met most of them before and I only recognized one person at this past con. It looked like everyone else was just random people.

The Gaylor looks like it'd be a great place to do photoshoots at. There's some nice stuff at the Adam's Mark and around it, but it isn't AMAZING. This place is nice enough that going outside for shoots might not be neccesary.

Cat-Chans
11-19-2004, 03:16 AM
XD
First off, its GaylorD

Yes, it probably woud be pricier than the Adams Mark...but look at what you're paying for...besides, as I said before, there are 2 other hotels that I remember within 5 minutes tops driving...and they arn't shabby either.

I didn't have a huge gripe about the Adam's Mark, but it just seemed a little cramped.

SIT BOY!
11-19-2004, 09:48 AM
i liked the adams mark it was huge compared to that other place i cant remember the name i guess theyll go for bigger and bigger hotels as the A-kon family grows im hoping for A-kon to be at the gaylord it looks like a really nice hotel um does anyone know how many rooms the gaylor has

oh about the adams mark i agree that the bridge should be kept clear so people can walk through there cause it was really crowded with people sitting on the sides of the bridge and on the floor

i wish the elwevators went to every floor cause that was part of the reason why the elevators weere so full i think they went to everyother floor or something i think

Rip_The_Hunter
11-19-2004, 10:53 AM
it's been a while since akon has actually been at the adams mark hotell and there were bound to be several mistakes and misscommunitcations. Hopefully akon16 will be better organized than the year before.

Cynthia
11-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Nope, the elevators went to every floor except for like the top 10 or something which had their own set of elevators. The problem was that the majority of the people at the convention were on THOSE FLOORS. Then one elevator was broken most of the weekend and some of the others would act wonky too. They should've serviced the elevators before we got there--which I'm pretty certain they didn't. Then you had problems with people taking the elevator from the 2nd floor lobby to their rooms, or just down the 1st floor lobby--thus making it impossible for people on the 1st floor to get on the elevator.

Ryo-sama
11-20-2004, 02:33 PM
i say that they need to work out the parking... i think parking is waaaaaaaaay overpriced! there should be an akon parking discount too!! i mean, most of us are coming outta town... driving... and cosplayers need their cars for storage!! and carrying props/costumes... >.<!

SIT BOY!
11-20-2004, 05:17 PM
yeah i agree free parking for conies

i say that they need to work out the parking... i think parking is waaaaaaaaay overpriced! there should be an akon parking discount too!! i mean, most of us are coming outta town... driving... and cosplayers need their cars for storage!! and carrying props/costumes... >.<!

Skyline Kyo
11-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, I agree there with the parking too. It's expensive enough for most of us to even get there!

SIT BOY!
11-21-2004, 11:56 AM
i wonder who decided to make people pay for parking at the hotel it should be free for everyone

Yeah, I agree there with the parking too. It's expensive enough for most of us to even get there!

SIT BOY!
11-29-2004, 06:17 PM
i think they need to turn on the lights in the game room it was so dark in there it made it hard to take good pictures

Rip_The_Hunter
11-29-2004, 06:36 PM
on weekends, the parking meters on the street are off(free parking).

Malicious
11-29-2004, 11:39 PM
on weekends, the parking meters on the street are off(free parking).
yeah that's true...we only had to pay for friday, weekend all free >:) and it was also free to park in the lot with the art mural(children faces) and was also front of that church. haha..sunday morning....church people looking at us all funny X3

SIT BOY!
11-30-2004, 01:33 AM
um vwere excactly is this free parking

yeah that's true...we only had to pay for friday, weekend all free >:) and it was also free to park in the lot with the art mural(children faces) and was also front of that church. haha..sunday morning....church people looking at us all funny X3

Rip_The_Hunter
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM

LMAO! you parked in the First Baptist Dallas parking lot???? OMG! I would have loved to be there on sunday. XD

there's a parking lot right behind the adams mark at pacific ave and st.paul.

the meters by the curbs that one would normally would have pay to park are free on the weekends, but you can't park there all night on the weekends( i think). the D.P.D. probably doesn't like all night parkers at the meters.

Malicious
12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
haha!! oops.....didn't know ;_; poor religious people......oh well XD it wasn't even that full anyways, i'm sure they didn't mind O_o

SIT BOY!
12-05-2004, 02:17 PM
how about a new way to set up the dealers room i got lost in there at least 3 times and i couldnt find my way out lol maybe they could have as many tables as possible in front of the wall around the room and then fix the rest in a square in the middle of the room with a open spot so they wouldnt be stuck in there lol that would probly make a lot more room for the con goers to shop and move around

Rip_The_Hunter
12-05-2004, 03:43 PM
if all else fails, Akon could be moved to the dallas convention center and have everyone else fend for them selves for a hotel room.

SIT BOY!
12-13-2004, 10:07 AM
more voice actors like wayne grayson (joeys voice from yugioh)

if all else fails, Akon could be moved to the dallas convention center and have everyone else fend for them selves for a hotel room.

SIT BOY!
01-11-2005, 09:51 AM
going up

we already have to pay for prereg and the room and food and gas to get there and now parking havnt we suffered enough lol

AoKoneko
02-13-2005, 11:36 AM
I wanted to throw in my ideas- YES more voice actors. ^_^.IS there going to be a band this year? I would REALLY like to see Akino Arai.
If A-kon is not going to have a band this year I could ask a friend of mine in Japan whom has a Jrock style band.
AOAI

SIT BOY!
02-20-2005, 04:04 PM
i heard thier gonna keep people from bringing bags into the game room so now were gonna have to run our bags up to our rooms and run back down to play games in the game room

this is a good thing cause we get excorsise

Digital Blush
02-20-2005, 04:30 PM
well they've always never let us bring bags into the game or art rooms.. we have to leave them outside the room.. thats something thats never changed since i've gone to a-kon.

Skyline Kyo
02-20-2005, 08:13 PM
A ball dance / formal dance!

Something similar to the Final Fantasy Ball Metrocon does would be so much fun for A-kon!

Anna
02-20-2005, 08:19 PM
A ball dance / formal dance!

Something similar to the Final Fantasy Ball Metrocon does would be so much fun for A-kon!
Now THAT would be awesome!

SIT BOY!
02-21-2005, 04:24 PM
getting the sceduals out a bit sooner would really help

kirineko
02-24-2005, 10:03 PM
1)Elevators. :D Yes, we are aware of the issue, and we're working to find some kind of solution before the convention. A lot of different options have been discussed.

2)Security. Sadly, security was SEVERELY understaffed last year. They ran the entire con on a third of what they NEEDED. A lot of people just did not show up. Again, this is an issue that is being addressed, and hopefully, it won't happen again next year.

3)Parking. :/ Sadly, the parking lot at the hotel is owned by an outside company, and not the hotel itself, which is why we couldn't get free/discounted parking last year. We probably won't be able to this year either. However, there are a multitude of cheap parking lots in the area, within a few blocks of walking from the hotel. (cheap being like...5 dollars a day, vs. 13). Also, as stated, on Sunday at least, the metered parking is free. I know last year they provided a map of parking around the hotel, and I am hoping they will do this again this year.

And about the GayLord. Yes, it's a nice hotel. However, it does not have the ROOM space to accomadate A-kon. The Adams Mark is the largest hotel in Dallas, when it comes to actual rooms. They are apparently planning on building an addtion to the hotel, but at this time, we are staying at the Adams Mark, as far as I know.

Also, the Dallas Convention center is a no-go. There are NO hotels in the area. They are building a hotel, but it will be nowhere big enough to host even a percentage of the A-kon attendees. The Adams Mark really is, at this point in time, the only hotel that can hold A-kon.

The Jpop room will be hosting a masquerade ball this year. It'll be short, 2-3 hours, but I hope to have a good turn out. :D Fancy dress/Cosplay is encouraged.

kirineko
02-24-2005, 10:04 PM
getting the sceduals out a bit sooner would really help

working on it. ^.^ Hopefully, it won't be an issue next year. I know last year they had some unforeseen difficulties regarding the schedules. >.>

SIT BOY!
02-25-2005, 06:56 PM
im curious how long is a-kon gonna be at the adams mark

kirineko
02-25-2005, 11:04 PM
im curious how long is a-kon gonna be at the adams mark

I can't say officially, but probably until there's another big enough space in Dallas to hold the convention at. At this point in time, there really isn't, as I stated above.

Digital Blush
02-25-2005, 11:29 PM
i think the hotel is fine, its just the problem with elevators is it that everyone attending the con had that area of rooms or what.. the hotel should split it up with all three different elevators if thats the case. anyway i feel like such a idiot and found out a month ago that there are bathrooms besides the hotel rooms in the hotel..:FEELS DUMB: eh.....anyway lol i think the hotel is fine. ^^ i like it a little better then the hyatt because stairs are the evil for people with high heels. T_T

Anna
02-26-2005, 07:37 PM
I personally hope A-kon doesn't go to Gaylord. My only mode of transportation to get to cons now is by train.

Cherry
03-02-2005, 12:31 AM
I personally hope A-kon doesn't go to Gaylord. My only mode of transportation to get to cons now is by train.

@_@; I think moving it to the Gaylord would be worth aranging some car pools, you know? That hotel . . . oh my goodness.

http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylordtexan/tour/images/Texan_Atrium_Aerial_large.jpg

^ Beautiful hotel.

However, it doesn't have the room to support A-Kon as said. Darn shame. XD A-Kon's just getting too big!

Skyline Kyo
03-02-2005, 01:01 AM
The Gaylord would be just so perfect for photoshoots... *sigh* It is indeed a wonderful hotel. I just sat around for hours admiring the place sitting around watching the water flow around me.

SIT BOY!
03-03-2005, 12:00 PM
oh wow that place looks huge

ya know sooner or later i bet they take a-kon to a hotel in ft worth or somewere cause its getting pretty big now i think they had 10 thousand people last year

TigerofThewind
03-07-2005, 12:56 PM
yes the staff could be a bit brighter thats for sure i remember one lady who was very rude