PDA

View Full Version : Doing a Link costume for halloween/company function

crcurtis85
10-13-2004, 08:52 PM
I posted in the zelda cosplayers thread the other day, and it seems like it's abandoned now..

Anyway, my situation is. My father's lumber company is having our third annual 'Haunted Hardwood Sale' to promote our lines of exotic hardwoods in stock for halloween, wear a costume, get an additional 5% off the purchase.

I'm dead set on doing Link this year. I have untill the 28th to do it. So far my plan is to figure out how to make the tunic and the hat. I can buy a turtleneck bodysuit, fingerless gloves, ears, and boots online. I don't want to get intricate with it cuz of the time constraints, so I'm not going all out with details. I also figured I'd bleach my hair instead of fussing with a wig.

Is there any places to get appropriate ears? I don't want to look like a Vulcan running around doing a rushed attempt at an anime character. I would also like to know how do to the tuinc and hat, I'm having a hard time with that.

Anyway, that's all, I gtg watch the debate now.. Thanks, Chris.
(go bush!)

FreeKnight
10-13-2004, 10:52 PM
I posted in the zelda cosplayers thread the other day, and it seems like it's abandoned now..

Anyway, my situation is. My father's lumber company is having our third annual 'Haunted Hardwood Sale' to promote our lines of exotic hardwoods in stock for halloween, wear a costume, get an additional 5% off the purchase.

I'm dead set on doing Link this year. I have untill the 28th to do it. So far my plan is to figure out how to make the tunic and the hat. I can buy a turtleneck bodysuit, fingerless gloves, ears, and boots online. I don't want to get intricate with it cuz of the time constraints, so I'm not going all out with details. I also figured I'd bleach my hair instead of fussing with a wig.

Is there any places to get appropriate ears? I don't want to look like a Vulcan running around doing a rushed attempt at an anime character. I would also like to know how do to the tuinc and hat, I'm having a hard time with that.

Anyway, that's all, I gtg watch the debate now.. Thanks, Chris.
(go bush!)

hey where did you get the boots online? As far as the tunic your easiest bet is a white flared-collared polo or a white t-shirt and just dye it green, or you can get a t-shirt/tunic patter from a fabric store and modify

crcurtis85
10-13-2004, 10:56 PM
They're the Minnetonka ones, I've always liked them. Now I have a reason to get them ^.^ lol You can get them on their site or search for them. Apparently the Vermont Moccasin Shop which is somewhere between the townships of Pawlett, Manchester, Dorset, and Bennington has them, if I wanted to, god forbid me for ever visiting my Granville or Hoosick Falls, NY locations I could stop by, but I'm never over that way....

Again, I haven't the time for replicas, just the basics..

k.i.s.s., which is what i'm doing for now

The-Real-Link
10-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Hi Crcurtis85! I didn't see your post yet as I had not checked the Zelda thread yet tonight. It's probabl just a little dormant, but nowhere near dead! People just tend to post once new cosplay / Zelda news is out and sadly it seems like there isn't much posting at the moment.

With regards to your ear question, I'd love to say good custom ears are doable in two weeks but I think that'd be pushing it. If you're looking for custom ears, usually you start with negative casts and use plaster and latex to build from - which require drying time or else the molds will not work right. If you're very good at sculpting clay, I'm thinking there is a slight chance you can have them by Halloween, but you might be better off buying some.

Unfortunatly, I don't have any links to offer at the moment, but if you do a search through Cosplay.com, there are a few good links that give some site names and construction tips.

crcurtis85
10-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, ok. I don't think I'm that good in custom molds, nor do I have the time. (Friday nights, Sat/Sun nights if the weekend is decent for flying, and this coming week tues and wed off for catch up in home work and homework)

Quick question: For the tunic, is this the kind of look I shoot for? Should I make the tunic with this type of collar, minus the overlap for the buttons, and affix or leave loose?

Hat, suggestions on hat?

EDIT--- eh, crap. the logo had to come with. nm the logo.

YunalescaSummon
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I think you're going for a slightly more open V-neck. The collar is right (is how I did a Link before, anyway, and it matched the pictures). Leave it open, is my suggestion. As far as the ears go, someone in the C.com classifieds is selling Pointy Ears. moonrabbit, I believe it is. For the hat....

It's time for Yunalesca's Link Hat Tutorial! (Press 0 to skip)

Take a 2.5' triangle of fabric (the bottom should be slightly larger than your head at the angle Link wears it--behind the ears slanted forward at the top). Make it a LONG triangle, not a 2.5' equilateral one....

Sew in a 3/4" casing at the bottom of the triangle.

Measure 3/4" elastic so it fits snug, but not tight, allowing 2" for overlap (when you put the ends together, you have a 1" section where both pieces of elastic are together)

Thread elastic through casing, sew elastic together at overlap. Sew shut the space where you threaded the elastic through.

Congratulations! You have a Link hat!

Hope this helped. Please hit X to exit.

~Yunalesca.

crcurtis85
10-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Thanks.
I just got back from flying a quick traffic pattern and going to mobmart supercenter, and I found a nice Forest green color cotton, but it's a bit heavier than the holly green broadcloth. I'm not making a Chambray shirt, so I went with the darker/heavier fabric. I did also get a button down shirt pattern that my mother can help me modify yesterday, so I'm all set with that

Now for everything else. No time for custom gauntlets or boots, so it's still the black moccasin boots and dark brown gauntlet gloves. And a turtleneck bodysuit, since it appears as tho people have success with a fullsuit instead of separates. Nylon/lycra should be opaque enough, right?

newmyu
10-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Just a quick FYI, the nylon/lycra bodysuit will be shiny, whereas a cotton/lycra one would have a matte finish.. ^^; Didn't know if this would make a difference to you! :)

crcurtis85
10-18-2004, 05:45 AM
If I can find one in cotton that's quite opaque, it would help.

newmyu
10-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Since you're going to be covered by a tunic, could you wear a pair of white bike shorts underneath? Or maybe I'm missing something.. ^^;;

crcurtis85
10-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Ok just a couple more days! I'll get some pics up when everything is completed and of the hardwood sale. I got everything I needed ordered, I scratched the gloves idea, since I can prolly just get a way with something like leather bike gloves (fingerless). And, of course as always, my mother ended up taking over the sewing project :rolleyes: since she didn't want me to start, and her try to figure out where I left off.

summoner_eilidh
10-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I got my ears from here: http://www.hightowercrafts.com/page33.html there's a piccie in my gallery of them. Really good ^_^

I'm no help with anything else ^^;

crcurtis85
10-23-2004, 08:05 PM
I got my ears from here: http://www.hightowercrafts.com/page33.html there's a piccie in my gallery of them. Really good ^_^ as for everything else, I have to go just now but I'll tell you how I did them another time.

Yes I like them, but I couldn't find anywhere on the site to order them, and I was not gonna call a +44 number, so I got anime ears from Dream Weaver Productions. Good price for a combo pack with ears and spirit gum. And they're only in Pittsburg, which is a plus for me since it's only a 3/4 day trip there from here. I should see them Monday, and everything else Tuesday. Hmm, reminiscent of ordering computer parts.......... I got tights and a belt pouch from renaissance store, and the boots from minnetonka-by-mail.

summoner_eilidh
10-24-2004, 05:04 AM
*points to "Scribe's Chamber" link* AAAAAH well if you've already got them ^^; I tried advertising and failed XP See I can't find tights big enough for my brother or even leggings.

crcurtis85
10-24-2004, 08:10 AM
See I can't find tights big enough for my brother or even leggings.

renstore.com has them up to 3x

summoner_eilidh
10-24-2004, 04:14 PM
My new favourite site ^_^ thanks!

crcurtis85
10-24-2004, 07:08 PM
My new favourite site ^_^ thanks!
doing my god given duty to help everyone else out :D