PDA

View Full Version : Anime LA! Who's going?

Pages : [1] 2

HowiePoof
10-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Anime LA is going to be happening Janurary 28-30, 2005 at the Van Nuys Airtel Plaza Hotel around Los Angeles. I'll definately be going for two reasons. First LA has been needing a con(AX is is a different county =P), and secondly it's a con on the other side of the year ^_^ Is anybody else going to be going? Also, if there is enough demand for one, is it possible that Anime LA will get it's own forum on c.c as it approaches?

Super No 1
10-14-2004, 11:36 PM
I'm going to this. After attending several cons and events this year, I've rediscovered just how fun they are--especially the smaller cons.

If you look at this board and all of the events that take place, it seems like Northern California is having all of the fun because they seem to have an event going on every other week or so. It would be great to have more events in Southern California, especially in the first half of the year.

I remember a few years ago when Anime Jungle used to host a few events every year. They died out because attendance gradually diminished. I made a lot of friends from those events and to this day, they are still some of my closest friends in the anime community.

We have a very large anime community in Los Angeles. We need more events and we need to get out and support them.

HowiePoof
10-15-2004, 11:07 AM
I completely agree with you. With a such a large anime community it's strange to not have as many events as our neighbors in the bay area. Small cons are always the best in my opinion ^_^ I've heard of smaller scale cosplay "picnic" type gatherings springing up in the next few months but I don't know much about them. From what I hear they sound quite promising though.

chaipnai
10-17-2004, 12:53 PM
Yes!!! I am going to Anime LA, too. I didn't think I would find another thread on Anime LA.... it doesn't seem that many people know about it yet. (I started one on possible cosplay gatherings/groups in the cosplay forum.) I am really looking foward to it since it's WAY closer to me : )

Maryssa
10-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I'll probably go at least for a day.

Yana_Neko
10-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes!!! I am going to Anime LA, too. I didn't think I would find another thread on Anime LA.... it doesn't seem that many people know about it yet. (I started one on possible cosplay gatherings/groups in the cosplay forum.) I am really looking foward to it since it's WAY closer to me : )

Yes, dear ^_^ We'll chill and hang out, ne? I was wondering, are you getting a hotel or do you live super close? My friends and I are getting a hotel so even if you don't, you guys can come to our room if you need to rest or change or whatever. We could have a mini-room party!

Does anyone know what part of LA this is in? No chance that it is near Little Tokyo? Because I have some friends who want to go to the con AND visit Little Tokyo on the same weekend and just kill two birds with one stone, you know?

chaipnai
10-18-2004, 09:57 PM
No, I live 15-25 minutes driving there by street or freeway. But thanks for letting me know. I will definately stop by : ). We will have fun!!!

Unfortunately, Little Tokyo is not walking distance, but if you wanted to go, it would be no more than 15-20 minutes by freeway, depending on traffic.

I was wondering, are you getting a hotel or do you live super close? My friends and I are getting a hotel so even if you don't, you guys can come to our room if you need to rest or change or whatever.

Does anyone know what part of LA this is in?

KorosuAkurei
10-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I'll be going ^^ I dunno how many days though. Most likely for the weekend...because school is EBIL and won't let us go for the weekdays XD

Anti
10-19-2004, 01:05 AM
I'll be there supportin' that crazy bastard Chaz. He's come a long way.

Fireshark
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Is there a site or info for this con? Can someone post a link? :)

Yana_Neko
10-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Is there a site or info for this con? Can someone post a link? :)

Sure, buddy ^_^

http://www.anime-la.org/

http://www.livejournal.com/community/animelosangeles/

chaipnai
10-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Yes, school sucks. Thank god I'm in college and that is my last weekend of vacation!!! Hopefully u get to go as many days possible!

I'll be going ^^ I dunno how many days though. Most likely for the weekend...because school is EBIL and won't let us go for the weekdays XD

Anele
10-19-2004, 10:15 PM
*raises her hand* I'm going as well. Van Nuys used to be my hometown, actually. It will be weird staying at a hotel there, XD.

Yana_Neko
10-20-2004, 12:49 AM
*raises her hand* I'm going as well. Van Nuys used to be my hometown, actually. It will be weird staying at a hotel there, XD.

Bringing the Sephiroth costume? If not, please do ^_^ I didn't get the chance to take your picture!

thenonthinker
10-20-2004, 05:47 PM
i'll be going. (hopefully if all goes well)

Anele
10-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Bringing the Sephiroth costume? If not, please do ^_^ I didn't get the chance to take your picture!

:thumbsup: Hi Yana! Sephiroth will be the only costume I am bringing to Anime L.A., and I will be wearing on the Saturday of the convention.

Speaking of Final Fantasy VII, I am once again organizing a Final Fantasy VII gathering to happen on the Saturday of Anime L.A. Anyone who is interested in attending this gathering (both cosplayers and photographers alike), please point your browsers to the following link:

Calling All Final Fantasy VII Cosplayers for Anime L.A. 2005! (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=867960)

The thread is located in the Seeking Cosplayers forum, since Anime L.A. does not have a convention forum of its own.

Yana_Neko
10-21-2004, 01:39 AM
The thread is located in the Seeking Cosplayers forum, since Anime L.A. does not have a convention forum of its own.

I inquired to Kyle about getting a forum for Anime LA and he said:

"If the open thread in the "Others" forum becomes large enough, then we'll consider adding it. There are currently a total of about 15 posts about the convention, which doesn't warrant a separate forum at this time."

So I guess we just need to lead more people onto this thread and hopefully the forum will be added. I personally think having a forum would be grand for organizational purposes ^_^;

Anele
10-21-2004, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I asked him about it, too, and that's the response I got as well. I could see the logic in that. But I do agree in that a forum would be a very helpful tool indeed. We just need to make it public that more people from cosplay.com are interested in attending. ^_^

SelphieTilmitt
10-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Awwww. I'd love to go. *needs a car super bad* Hrm. We'll see closer to the time, I suppose.

Anele
10-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Selphie! I hope you can go! ;_;

Suzushichan
10-23-2004, 12:13 PM
I'm goin'.

chaipnai
10-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Will you be cosplaying Rinoa anymore? I'd like to have an ff8 gathering going! JW!
I'm goin'.

Yana_Neko
10-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Will you be cosplaying Rinoa anymore? I'd like to have an ff8 gathering going! JW!

I am sure if you set up a gathering date and time, FF8 cosplayers will flock there in large groups. Every con has its fair share of FF-anything cosplayers, ne? ^_^

Anele
10-24-2004, 12:59 AM
*points to her sig* ^_^ If I had Irvine Kinneas: Version 2.0 ready, I'd flock to a FFVIII gathering too, but I do not, and will not have it completed by January, unfortunately. XD

Suzushichan! ^_^ What costumes are you bringing? Be our Chocobo? ^^;;

Yana_Neko
10-24-2004, 02:52 AM
*points to her sig* ^_^ If I had Irvine Kinneas: Version 2.0 ready, I'd flock to a FFVIII gathering too, but I do not, and will not have it completed by January, unfortunately. XD

Suzushichan! ^_^ What costumes are you bringing? Be our Chocobo? ^^;;

Ooo Maybe I should cosplay Irvine! He's hawt ^_~ I have yet to do a video game costume, maybe now is a good time to start?

chaipnai
10-24-2004, 12:41 PM
YES IT IS! GO FOR IT >_<!!!
Ooo Maybe I should cosplay Irvine! He's hawt ^_~ I have yet to do a video game costume, maybe now is a good time to start?

Solaria
10-25-2004, 10:02 PM
*Suzushichan! ^_^ What costumes are you bringing? Be our Chocobo? ^^;;

Yes yes I want a chocobo! Or a summon. That would be cool.

Anele
10-28-2004, 11:19 PM
I can't wait to see you guys at Anime L.A.!

And Yana as a fellow Irvine. Should be interesting. Would have been more interesting if I was going to be her Irvine twin, hehe. Oh well, only one Final Fantasy costume for Anime L.A. for me!

Youko_Kurama
11-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Hi there, I will be going as well.... oh and the same with Bsaphire, if I have anything to say about it. My mother so has to go. The 29th is my b-day and this is going to be my b-day con. *smiles* always wanted a con on my b-day. Therefore I know of a lot of cosplayers that are going because it is my b-day. Not sure if all of them are on cosplay or if they have found this thread, but I do know that they are going. I really can not wait to see the FF gatherings... and I hope that there can be a Yu Yu hakusho gathering as well.... oh and also a .hack one.

Equine
11-07-2004, 02:28 PM
hey, i didn't know there was a con in LA! and i even live here. >< yay, so now i have another con to add to my list, because i will definately be going! and who to cosplay?

swan20
11-07-2004, 09:20 PM
i be going since it's my birthday gift...so excited i even finished my costume for it already..yay!!.
x.

jetspectacular
11-07-2004, 10:17 PM
oooh Howie, I think I wanna sign up for this XD My brother live in LA, he owes me a favor I think I'll crash his house. Sound like fun for inthe meantime between the real con season. That and I'd like to take some pics in LA actually.

HowiePoof
11-10-2004, 07:17 PM
oooh Howie, I think I wanna sign up for this XD My brother live in LA, he owes me a favor I think I'll crash his house. Sound like fun for inthe meantime between the real con season. That and I'd like to take some pics in LA actually.

Sounds like a plan! I'm not sure how far it is, but I think it might be fun to have some sort of small photoshoot in Little Tokyo. Maybe misufuru ^_^ I've been getting more of my friends into it and they've been bitten by the cosplay bug ^_^ I'm not sure who we'd have until the con gets closer. Do you have any ideas of what else you'll be cosplaying at AnimeLA?

KorosuAkurei
11-12-2004, 02:57 AM
I wonder if there's going to be a Fruits Basket gathering. ^^ I'll most likely have my Yuki done by then too, now that I really think about it. haha.

Eurobeat King
11-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I might go, since the timing for this con is just right: It's 2 weeks after Ohayocon (Jan. 13-15) and 3 weeks before Katsucon (Feb. 18-20) so I might fly (or drive) down to L.A. for the weekend for ALA :D I'll keep you posted..

Yana_Neko
11-12-2004, 03:38 PM
I might go, since the timing for this con is just right: It's 2 weeks after Ohayocon (Jan. 13-15) and 3 weeks before Katsucon (Feb. 18-20) so I might fly (or drive) down to L.A. for the weekend for ALA :D I'll keep you posted..

It'd be awesome if you went! Then we would not only be graced with your presence, but we would have lovely pictures too ^_____^

Eurobeat King
11-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Yana: Thanks for the compliment! :)

Well, I requested that Friday off, and reserved a rental car for that weekend, so that's 2-outta-3 for me to go to ALA! :D So now I need to work out the hotel and I'm all set.. I don't think I'll be cosplaying for the con, but there's still time to plan. Sounds good, so hopefully it'll be a good turn-out! :bigtu:

Yana_Neko
11-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Yana: Thanks for the compliment! :)

Well, I requested that Friday off, and reserved a rental car for that weekend, so that's 2-outta-3 for me to go to ALA! :D So now I need to work out the hotel and I'm all set.. I don't think I'll be cosplaying for the con, but there's still time to plan. Sounds good, so hopefully it'll be a good turn-out! :bigtu:

You should bring your Trowa costume ^_^ I'll be cosplaying clown Trowa!

Eurobeat King
11-13-2004, 01:16 AM
YanaNeko: I'll besure to take pics of your costume! :D I've retired my normal-Trowa (turtleneck) costume and the Endless Waltz Mariemaya one I only wear to Yaoicon. If I did cosplay at ALA I could bring Shinji, maybe Saitou (his return in 2005!), and since I am driving perhaps I could bring the FC3S (last seen in So.CA at AX) but it's all tentative right now. I'll decide by the new year.. :)

jetspectacular
11-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Sounds like a plan! I'm not sure how far it is, but I think it might be fun to have some sort of small photoshoot in Little Tokyo. Maybe misufuru ^_^ I've been getting more of my friends into it and they've been bitten by the cosplay bug ^_^ I'm not sure who we'd have until the con gets closer. Do you have any ideas of what else you'll be cosplaying at AnimeLA?

I know I'll do for sure two outfits. One from I'll/CKBC with my boyfriend, and another Killua outfit from HunterxHunter. Wanna do MisuFuru? I dunno about photoshoot in little tokyo except inside the supermarket or something, it's mainly a business/shopping area, not much different besides having japanese signs and stuff. My outfits are "street" kind anyway so i like LA as the setting, need a good brickwall and curb, yo.

yay Al~ yah come to ALA, and bring the FC3S maybe you can take pics in the street too, hahahaha XD

HowiePoof
11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I know I'll do for sure two outfits. One from I'll/CKBC with my boyfriend, and another Killua outfit from HunterxHunter. Wanna do MisuFuru? I dunno about photoshoot in little tokyo except inside the supermarket or something, it's mainly a business/shopping area, not much different besides having japanese signs and stuff. My outfits are "street" kind anyway so i like LA as the setting, need a good brickwall and curb, yo.

That sounds cool ^_^ I don't know which costumes I'm going to be doing for AnimeLA just yet. I think I might want to unveil my Pop'n Music costume for this con but I'm not sure if it'll be ready in time. I might also do a Champloo costume but that depends on the cons weapons policy. I don't want to have to carry around a cheap little plastic katana =P

Eurobeat King
11-21-2004, 08:28 PM
I reserved a room today at the hotel, so it looks like everything's taken care of for AnimeLA! :bigtu: The drive down there will seem like AX, SDCC, and Animagic (2000-2003) but different cos it's still WINTER when I head down there.. hehe Has anyone been to the Airtel Plaza Hotel before? I'm curious to see what it's like in terms of size and how many attendees it'll hold. Should still be fun to kick-off the new year in So.CA ;)

Winter Divinity
11-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Hey Al, I hope to see you there! By the way, is there a masquerade or anything to sign up for? I want to try to put a skit together ^_^

Fireshark
11-22-2004, 01:08 AM
I hope to go too; I'm glad to see at least a bunch of people are going to show up as well! My costume choice isn't completely chosen, yet... working on a few friends, on what they want to do as a group.

jetspectacular
11-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Hey Al, I hope to see you there! By the way, is there a masquerade or anything to sign up for? I want to try to put a skit together ^_^

yah, i wanna know if there's going to be a masq or some other event (hopes for music or karaoke, ehehe) i'll probably keep checking the site.

anyone thinking of putting together groups? I want meet with HxH or Peacemaker Kurogane cosplayers.. but maybe not the ordinary outfits, ehehe ^.^''

Howie, you know I'm in if you've got other Juunishi or MisuFuru players. if you're going with friends and need someone to fill in ina group, i'm up for anything else too.

HowiePoof
11-22-2004, 07:27 AM
Howie, you know I'm in if you've got other Juunishi or MisuFuru players. if you're going with friends and need someone to fill in ina group, i'm up for anything else too.

Awesome ^_^ The exact costumes I'm bringing aren't set in stone yet but I just added a costume from Casshern to my list of the costumes that I'll for sure bring. Other than that it looks like I'll be bringing Yoshio from Pop'n Music and Saruno from MisuFuru. If I have the time I think I'm going to try and make a 'friend' costume from 20th Century Boys. I need to get in at least one obscure costume for this con ^_^

AngieRikku
11-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Wahhh!!! I wanna go. ^_^ But as some other cosplayers asked above - Will there be a masquerade-type thing?

Yana_Neko
11-23-2004, 08:41 PM
Of course! Here's an updated flyer, it mentions masqerade ^_^

http://www.anime-la.org/anime-la/flyer/animela-flyer3.pdf

I am helping with the scavenger hunt, so please come to that too! ^_^

Quisty_Quest
11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
hehe Has anyone been to the Airtel Plaza Hotel before? I'm curious to see what it's like in terms of size and how many attendees it'll hold. Should still be fun to kick-off the new year in So.CA ;)

Its a Nice place Al. My opionion better than the Hyatt. and better amenities.

I will be there with her closes friends and her friends from school. not sure what to cosplay. I know the area pretty well so if any of you guys question about food or anything feel free to IM me. Yana you left you glove in my car.

Yana_Neko
11-23-2004, 11:19 PM
Quisty! If I don't see you sooner, can you please bring my glove to Anime LA? Maybe I'll wear it there :P If not, for sure at the Star Wars premiere so I don't need it any time soon ^_^

We should party at Anime LA! Any cool restaurants? Is there a Denny's? Jamba Juice?

thenonthinker
11-23-2004, 11:24 PM
ooh i wanna party in jamba juice. :invites self:

Yana_Neko
11-24-2004, 12:49 AM
ooh i wanna party in jamba juice. :invites self:

Of course, love! The more the merrier! We should invade in large masses!

Hazel Chaz
11-25-2004, 06:18 AM
i be going since it's my birthday gift...so excited i even finished my costume for it already..yay!!.
x.

Is your birthday on the Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of the convention? So far we've got two people celebrating birthdays during the convention -- we're making chocolate cake for one of them and cookies (snickerdoodles, I think) for the others. If you're a member celebrating a birthday during Anime Los Angeles, let me know (e-mail: chair at anime-la.org) and tell me what kind of cake or cookies you'd like...

Chaz

Hazel Chaz
11-25-2004, 06:22 AM
I'll be there supportin' that crazy bastard Chaz. He's come a long way.

I've been called a lot of things, but "Crazy Bastard" is a new one on me. Thank you, I think...

Chaz

Hazel Chaz
11-25-2004, 06:26 AM
I reserved a room today at the hotel, so it looks like everything's taken care of for AnimeLA! :bigtu: The drive down there will seem like AX, SDCC, and Animagic (2000-2003) but different cos it's still WINTER when I head down there.. hehe Has anyone been to the Airtel Plaza Hotel before? I'm curious to see what it's like in terms of size and how many attendees it'll hold. Should still be fun to kick-off the new year in So.CA ;)

We're using the small end of the hotel's function space. There's room for us to expand next year (which I want, because I'd like to add a gaming room for starters). The hotel has hosted a Dr. Who convention ("Gallifrey One") for 8 years running, and that gets just shy of a thousand people.

If we grow much past 1000 people in the next few years, we have a couple of properties under consideration in the Valley.

Chaz

Hazel Chaz
11-25-2004, 06:30 AM

Yes, there will be a masquerade (cosplay), that's our main event Saturday night. To be followed by a dance "Club Adrenochrome South" run by Dj :Lynx: (he runs "Club Adrenochrome" every Wednesday night in the SF Bay Area, I think the place is called King of Clubs).

Other cosplay-related info: (1) we will have hall costume awards, (2) we're hoping to put together a workshop, probably on staffs (staves?), (3) we have a special room called the Costume Repair Station, just next to the Convention Hospitality Suite (Con Suite) where if you have a cosplay malfunction and need a little time with needle, thread, super glue, duct tape, safety pin, stapler, electric fan, bottled water, mirror, make-up assistance, etc....you can take care of your costume situation and get back on the floor.

Hazel Chaz
11-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Quisty! If I don't see you sooner, can you please bring my glove to Anime LA? Maybe I'll wear it there :P If not, for sure at the Star Wars premiere so I don't need it any time soon ^_^

We should party at Anime LA! Any cool restaurants? Is there a Denny's? Jamba Juice?

The closest restaurant is half a block away, it's "Beeps" a 50's-style hamburger stand. It's usually the default hang-out during conventions at this hotel.

chaipnai
11-25-2004, 08:11 PM
ack! no jamba... it'll be cold >.< some coffee OR BOBA PLACE... lol but denny's is ok (tho i feel poor whenever i eat there)

chaipnai
11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
OHHHH that'll be fun! Let's go there ppL! :P
The closest restaurant is half a block away, it's "Beeps" a 50's-style hamburger stand. It's usually the default hang-out during conventions at this hotel.

Eurobeat King
11-25-2004, 11:54 PM
If possible, please just edit your one reply-post rather than create double (or more) replies to other members. Thanks!

QuistyQ: Thanks for the info! Perhaps after the New Year (or sooner) everyone who's going might want to form cosplay gatherings, and we could also have a cosplay.com BIG-GROUP photoshoot as well. :D I'll talk to Admin to see if he & Aeris are planning on attending, and post here with more info soon enough!

Oooo.. the hotel has complimentary hi-speed internet access.. Since I'm driving down to ALA, I might bring my computer with me and u/l pictures of Friday & Saturday at the con like I did for AX & SDCC 2004! :skidude2: schweet!

Anele
11-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Hey Al, I'm glad to see that you're going. It'll be nice to see you again.

I don't actually recall if I stayed in the Airtel before (I probably walked around inside of it once), but I grew up in Van Nuys, so I know the area pretty darn well. ^^

Unfortunately, I do not recall a Jamba Juice being nearby. Did one pop up? *EDIT* Okay, Chaz kinda gave the answer to that one. I guess nothing really has changed since I left Van Nuys, neh? *shrugs* I do not even remember a Jamba Juice in Van Nuys, actually. XD Did one pop up there or something?

Yana, I didn't know you were on staff! XD

As for gatherings, *points at signature image* I'm organizing a FFVII gathering, so if anyone is interested, just hop on over. ^^

Yana_Neko
11-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I am not technically on staff, I am just helping out chaipnai (Sabrina) who is on staff ^_^

Although, maybe I WILL join! I'll contact Chaz. I've never staffed for a con before so I need more details :P

MPsy
11-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Seems like I'll be dragging myself to AnimeLA to celebrate four birthdays...at least it'll be easy to pick out a present. Oh I'll be cosplaying as the Kingdom Hearts Cid.

Kira_Yamato
11-28-2004, 01:15 AM
I hope I'll be able to make this con. It's likely, however, that I'll be unable to go for car related reasons, either due to spending all my money on my car or due to having my car apart for whatever work I'll be doing.

Jopko
11-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Well I plan on going...hopefully I can. But I dunno what to cosplay now cause I just dyed my hair red...so its blondish-red. I'll probably just bring my Rikku costume and she'll just end up having reddish hair.

The Ancient
11-28-2004, 02:42 PM
So ther is one in LA hmm. Nice now if only I could get a cosplay costume going. I'd liek to go as Ryo of Inferno or Tekkaman Blade but don't know where to get the materials as this would be my first time. Any suggestions?

Anti
11-29-2004, 06:21 PM
You will all go! Or you will suffer the consequences!

btw, My first cosplay ever will be at this con. You must all go, and take ridiculous amounts of pic of ME.

*freaks outs* OMG OMG OMG OMG

lol I'm so psyched.

Quisty_Quest
11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Anti your going crazy I should get you daddy on you! or mommy...and Yana I'll be at SNA so I'll give you your glove. and there is a Jamba Juice there it just a lilttle bit of a walk.

MPsy
12-01-2004, 01:57 AM
*Wonders if he'll end up as Anti's photo bi*ch again...*

Gainax Boy
12-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I will definitely be there.. so Rejoice!! as your con experience will once again resonate with the Sounds of Gainax!!!!

*happy dance*

Winter Divinity
12-03-2004, 11:51 AM
I think after the con, we should all go to eat at Yoshinoya nearby. Who's up for it?

Kokuu
12-03-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm going! Still don't know what I'll be cosplaying (I suppose whatever I finish while I have my 5 weeks off of school XP) Definetly looking foward to it!

Winter Divinity
12-04-2004, 02:53 AM
There's a Yoshinoya in Van Nuys, I'm not sure how close it is to the con itself. But we should totally go there. Seriously. Go. Now.

Devi Dark Wolf
12-05-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm so glad someone else posted about this con! Found out about it at a small sci-fi con in LA.

Yeah, I agree, LA was in desperate need of an Anime con, as we do have some others. AX is so not an LA con. It's so faaaar. ;_;

I'm planning on getting Iruka sensei costume from Naruto done in time, but you never know, what with my procrastination. Eh.

The best thing of all is the hospitality/con suite, something wholly unavailable in huge cons like Comic-con and Anime Expo! Free food for the starving cosplayers! :P

Will there be photoshooot gatherings?

Devi

Anele
12-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Anti! I missed you at GenCon, bud! I was there on Friday, and saw MPsy who told me you were going to be there on Saturday.

Yeah, I remember the Yoshinoya in Van Nuys, though it is a ways away from the Airtel. How about all of us taking a ride to the Northridge Fashion Center? XD Like that's totally possible. Oh well. If I remember correctly, there's a restaurant called "The Landing" nearby (it's in the vicinity of the Van Nuys airport), and if my memory also serves me correctly, the food was quite good... though I went a while ago. *shrugs* Just giving a heads-up on one restaurant nearby.

Sana-chan
12-08-2004, 09:40 AM
I'm pretty sure Richii and I will be going to this ^_^

Still not sure what costumes will be brought.

PikminLink
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
we'll be going too ^-^

Sana-chan
12-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Mwahhaha Ri-Sa-Pi strikes again XD

is there a masquerade for this con? it doesn't say on the site... or maybe it does and I suck lol.

Quisty_Quest
12-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Yes sana there is a Masq at the Con.

Anele
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
*nods*

And Pikmin, you told me you guys weren't going (?). Change of mind? What costumes are you going to bring to this con?

PikminLink
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
*nods*

And Pikmin, you told me you guys weren't going (?). Change of mind? What costumes are you going to bring to this con?
yeah we changed our mind...we looked at the cons site and made our decision...

i have no idea what im bringing yet...maybe something new^_^

Eurobeat King
12-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm probably going to bring a couple of costumes to kick off 2005.. I'm thinking of cosplaying as: Shinji, Inui, Hibiki, and Saitou.. :skidude2:

Hildechan: I may need to borrow your Seigaku shirt for Inui that weekend.. I'll be sure to bring his Golden-Power-Super-Deluxe-Remix-Special-Juice also.. :devil:

MPsy
12-12-2004, 12:34 AM
Oooooo...I'll be there! Mosty to celebrate my friends birthdays though. But I hope to see you all around the con! The cosplays I'm bringing for sure are Cid Highwind (Kingdom Hearts version) and Tuxedo Melvin.

Eveil
12-12-2004, 01:45 AM
Hildechan: I may need to borrow your Seigaku shirt for Inui that weekend.. I'll be sure to bring his Golden-Power-Super-Deluxe-Remix-Special-Juice also.. :devil:

OMGAI JUICE XD
but that yaoi-con juice was pretty good actually. LOL
wow, that sounds really wrong...

but anyways! yay! and things and YAY my children are coming~ <3
Sana: you will bring poncho, you will bring poncho, you will bring poncho~ xD

lol oh yeah, you can borrow my shirt ^^ though I'll also be getting the jackets in sometime early next week :D!
So I can do Kaidoh and/or Renji. or go with a photoshoot and do a whole bunch of other PoT peoples xD

and I'm really really really really hoping my sentai costume can be done by then so I can force Jei to do it too. lol and sacrifice gainax things

Richii
12-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Yup I think I'll be going with da Sana! I'm excited for more Ri-Sa-Pi madness!! Not sure what I'm bringing...at least something of the Naruto nature and Prince of Tennis too...Atobe or Fuji's western wear depending of if it gets done.

ACXchan
12-12-2004, 03:20 AM
Geeze I didn't find out about this con until today even though I think Al and Jet might have mentioned it to me before @D@ Since it's in Van Nuys count me in, being an LA local and all X3 Don't know about which costumes I'll bring yet, I might have enough time between now and then to finish one of my new ones or do a revision of an older one.

Clueless Case
12-12-2004, 03:34 AM
How far away is van nuys from like the pasadena area?

ShinjiEva01
12-12-2004, 05:01 AM
I'll be there i am only about 20 min from van nuys. So it would be pointless for me not to go there heh. Hope to see you there!

Admin
12-12-2004, 06:01 AM
I'll probably drive out for Saturday.

Quisty_Quest
12-12-2004, 09:54 AM
clueless its about 1/2 hour - 45 mins away.

Anele
12-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Are we going to organize a Cosplay.com gathering for this convention?

PikminLink
12-12-2004, 10:31 AM
wow..everyone suddenly posts ..

well anyway..ill be going for the whole weekend..and like always..photoshoots are available.

A c.c gathering would be cool..
*saves up for the dealers room..bwhahah*

RI-SA-PI strikes again!

Sana-chan
12-12-2004, 11:18 AM
As of right now I'm juss bringing Narutoes and Ed... maybe something else, I dunno we'll see.

Eurobeat King
12-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Admin: Would you have time to do a cosplay.com gathering? I'll help you organize it on that Saturday if you're up for it.. :) Also, will you be doing your private photoshoots at the con?

HildeC: Thanks for letting me borrow the shirt for the gathering. *hug* Now that I've finally seen the eps. where Inui faces off against Renji, we'll take more pics together.. ;)

ACXC: I remember telling you about the con sometime in November, but as long as you didn't find about it say, in January, you're fine. hehe Hopefully JetS will also be able to attend.

Richii: Yay for us teaming up for POT! haha Our 2nd pairing up since Asuka & Shinji at A-cen2004. Ooo.. maybe we could pair up for EVA pics at ALA if you have time and can bring your yellow sun-dress Asuka!

Clueless Case
12-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Quisty Quest: Ok, thanx. That's not that bad of a drive then.

Admin
12-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Admin: Would you have time to do a cosplay.com gathering? I'll help you organize it on that Saturday if you're up for it.. :) Also, will you be doing your private photoshoots at the con?

I'd do a few shoots, yeah. Not sure about a gathering though.

ACXchan
12-12-2004, 05:58 PM
I think so too, Al, and Jet might be able to come since she's got family out there!

Admin, if you do the photoshoots will it be like the photoroom at AniMagic or will these be the $25 kind?

Admin
12-12-2004, 06:16 PM
The $25 kind. $30 kind now actually. I'd do a few early and then run around the rest of the day for everyone else.

Sana-chan
12-12-2004, 06:35 PM
When will private photoshoots be available to purchase for this? (is interested again) hehe

Admin
12-12-2004, 06:52 PM
About a week. :)

PikminLink
12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
does anyone know of a direct email address I can contact the registration area at? they have this message place set up there, but i havent gotten any replies, and its been more than a week, and i sent them about 3 messages already. I dont think they check those messages often, or is there a faster way I can get in contact?

*EDIT* Never mind

katchoo
12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Yup I think I'll be going with da Sana! I'm excited for more Ri-Sa-Pi madness!! Not sure what I'm bringing...at least something of the Naruto nature and Prince of Tennis too...Atobe or Fuji's western wear depending of if it gets done.

oooo I'll be bringing Prince of Tennis too! I'll have to find you for pics. ^_^

jetspectacular
12-13-2004, 04:10 PM
I think so too, Al, and Jet might be able to come since she's got family out there!

mmhm~! THough I still have to get off my ass and figure out how far it is fro my brother's house (he lives on whatever side of LA the USC campus us on? dunno how far that is fro mthe Van Nuys airport, i'll find out) But I'm pretty sure I'm going to this one bons XD to hang out and stuff~!

ooh.. photo room?? x.x I hope i take good enough pictures to buy this time around..!

Admin
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
ooh.. photo room??

GAH no photo room. :eeek:

It was fun but I was so sore I think I slept for 12 hours that night. Next time I do a photo room it will have the option of buying prints on-site so I can get paid *while* doing it. :)

Jaina Solo
12-15-2004, 07:22 PM
LoL. Good idea.

Woot! I'm going! Maybe I'll even get a shoot! I was wondering if I'd ever get some good Kenshin pictures...

Eurobeat King
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
OK.. decided on a costume-list for ALA, and it's about 85% definite. Going to bring: Shinji w/Pen-Pen, Saitou, and maybe Ryosuke w/FC3S (still not sure yet.) I figured I'd cosplay at this con to begin 2005 (no cosplay for me when I fly to Ohayocon & Katsucon) So it should be fun and a good turn-out of cosplayers! :skidude2: See you all in 6 weeks!

Anele
12-18-2004, 11:41 PM
For any of you interested, or not familiar with Van Nuys, here's a map of where the Airtel Plaza is located: http://www.airtelplaza.com/images/map-lg.gif

And, here is a listing of nearby restaurants:

Landings Restaurant
a.k.a. The Airtel's restaurant
7277 Valjean Ave, Van Nuys, CA (0.01 miles away)
818-997-7676

Beeps Fast Food
16063 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.18 miles away)
818-781-0830

2 For 1 Pizza Co
16045 Sherman Way # F, Van Nuys, CA (0.20 miles away)
818-782-7311

Subway Sandwiches & Salads
16045 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.20 miles away)
818-782-5595

Church's Chicken
16500 Sherman Way # A20, Van Nuys, CA (0.38 miles away)
818-908-1600

La Mina Mexican Restaurant
16060 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA (0.43 miles away)
818-782-3020

Denny's
16575 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.48 miles away)
818-994-0952

Seasons Cafe
16605 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.51 miles away)
818-902-1077

Valley Ranch Barbeque Restaurant
16623 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.54 miles away)
818-989-1300

Win 's Thai Cuisine
16449 Vanowen St, Van Nuys, CA (0.67 miles away)
818-787-6083

Taco Bell
15651 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.69 miles away)
818-780-8492

Coco's Family Restaurant
16835 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA (0.80 miles away)
818-782-5085

PikminLink
12-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Al: do you think you can bring Trowa with you? Im thinking to taking Duo, and maybe we can get some pics together^__^

Eurobeat King
12-19-2004, 09:37 PM
PML: I'll let you know if I choose to bring Trowa or not. Wasn't planning on it, since the turtleneck version (I'm assuming that's the one you want me to bring rather than the Mariemaya uniform, right?) I would only wear to Yaoicon.. But I'll keep you posted before the con comes.

Kokuu
12-20-2004, 01:32 AM
Are we talking about doing some kind of gathering at a resturant? I think it would be pretty fun invading a resturant with a bunch of cosplayers. XD

PikminLink
12-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Al: okie, well let me know whenever^___^

Kokuu:hehe that would be fun

evanae
12-20-2004, 01:15 PM
wtf!? there's a con in l.a. county!? too bad i won't be able to make it, i'll be outta the country around that time. =( oh well...maybe next time. u guys have fun, ya hear? ^__^

Jaina Solo
12-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Going to bring: Shinji w/Pen-Pen, Saitou, and maybe Ryosuke w/FC3S (still not sure yet.)

Okay, I feel a little silly for asking this (forgive me, I'm still a newbie, LoL), but... is that, Saitou Hajime? From Rurouni Kenshin?

And if so... Can I go a little nuts?

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=244912

By the way... Will I look like a fool for wearing the same costume all weekend?

Yana_Neko
12-20-2004, 09:56 PM
I have no idea what is going on, but I received a comment on my LiveJournal that is basically saying that the people behind Anime LA are Furries, which is about the strangest thing I have ever heard. Because even if they were, what the hell does this have to do with Anime LA?

http://www.livejournal.com/users/yana_neko/122965.html?view=321365#t321365t321365

I would really like to know if I was the only one to receive information like this. If so, it is a concentrated incident and I can try to figure out who wrote it.

This is completely ridiculous.

Eurobeat King
12-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Yana_Neko: That LJ post doesn't make any sense.. it's probably some ALA-hater or dislikes directed towards some of the staff, and is just trying to cause some bad hype about the con..

Jaina-Solo: Yesh, when I say Saitou, I do mean Saitou Hajime from Kenshin. ;) I haven't cosplayed him in a few years (AX 2003?) but do want to cosplay him again sometime in 2005, and figure why not at ALA to start the new year? :skidude2: Here's a picture of me cosplaying him:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=3487

Also, if you have one costume, there's nothing wrong with wearing it all weekend. Plus Kenshin's popular so you'll have fans who'll get to see it all weekend long. :)

Sana-chan
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm trying to decide if it's worth it bringing more costumes to wear throughout each day since I'll be commuting. Anyone know what the bathrooms are like there? lol I mean if they're big enough it might not be too troublesome.

PikminLink
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
sana, we are staying at a hotel if you want to change^_^ (i changed at your place during gen con, and its np if you change at ours)

MPsy
12-23-2004, 01:28 AM
My list of cosplays now are...

Death (Family Guy)
Tuxedo Melvin
Cid (Kingdom Hearts)
El Ardilla Listada (basicly me running around in my luchadore mask)

ACXchan
12-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Onos Evanae I was hoping we could do Sophia and Alex again! But I guess visiting out of country is cooler than Anime LA X3 My list is still up in the air but depending on who's going...

Alex or Vincent (Last Exile)
Kakashi or Orochimaru (Naruto)
Axl or Succubus (Guilty Gear)
and anyone else Jet wants me to cosplay XD?

Sorry to hear the photoroom took so much out of you Admin ^ ^;;;

Jaina Solo
12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
My costume list:

Kenshin
Kenshin
Kenshin

I seriously need some more costumes... *sigh*

Anele
12-23-2004, 02:26 PM
El Ardilla Listada (basicly me running around in my luchadore mask)

The infamous Luchadore (is that even spelt right?) XD Hehe. Hope to see you all at Anime L.A.! A little bit more than a month now!

KorosuAkurei
12-23-2004, 03:55 PM
My costume list:
Sasuke (Naruto)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

YamiMegumi
12-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Tenten- Naruto
Kairi- Kingdom Hearts

MPsy
12-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Yep! Beware the Flying Elbow of the Chipmunk Luchadore!

*has his theme song playing in the background (which sounds kinda like the theme to Rawhide)*

HowiePoof
12-26-2004, 12:04 AM
This may be a bit premature but is there any possibility of Anime LA getting it's own forum on c.c? It would definately make planning cosplay gatherings much easier ^_^

Anele
12-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I think the best way to go with that is to ask Admin. I believe there was a prerequisite before Anime L.A. could get its own forum. Then again, the Convention Planner isn't updated for 2005 yet, so maybe there would be a better chance after the first of the year? I am sure he is busy with year-end things, but I don't think it would hurt to ask. ^^

Has anyone taken the helm of the official gathering list? The convention chairman has asked me to take on the job, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't intruding on anyone's already-planned-out territory first. ^^

PikminLink
12-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Has anyone taken the helm of the official gathering list? The convention chairman has asked me to take on the job, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't intruding on anyone's already-planned-out territory first. ^^

i say go for it^___^
im not sure what costumes to bring yet..so ill just wait to see the list to get some ideas.

Anele
12-26-2004, 07:56 PM
How many gatherings are in planning for this convention as of now? I mean, I know there aren't specific threads for each gathering (I have one for FFVII in the "Seeking Cosplayers" forum, but I don't know if there are any others [Anime L.A. gathering threads] there as well). I know there was some talk of other gatherings on the Anime L.A. message boards, but I just wanted to do a rough head count.

chaipnai
12-26-2004, 09:23 PM
I haven't tried to start an official gathering, but I'm planning to go as:
Hitomi
Hermione (Harry Potter)

and maybe
Yuna Songstress
Rinoa

I doubt anyone else will do Escaflowne, but what about a gathering for all FF cosplayers? Harry Potter might do well, too. Yana, you'll be dressing as well, right?

Eurobeat King
12-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Since HowiePoof started this thread about AnimeLA, he can edit his first post of the thread and create the cosplay gatherings' list for that weekend if he wants to. Else, only a mod like myself can edit his post and add the lists. But that's only if he wants me to..

PikminLink
12-26-2004, 11:24 PM
I haven't tried to start an official gathering, but I'm planning to go as:
Hitomi
Hermione (Harry Potter)

and maybe
Yuna Songstress
Rinoa

I doubt anyone else will do Escaflowne, but what about a gathering for all FF cosplayers? Harry Potter might do well, too. Yana, you'll be dressing as well, right?

well if your taking hermione, ill take Harry with me...which version? Im doing the uniform from the first and second movie.

Since HowiePoof started this thread about AnimeLA, he can edit his first post of the thread and create the cosplay gatherings' list for that weekend if he wants to. Else, only a mod like myself can edit his post and add the lists. But that's only if he wants me to..

well i think we should make a gathering list somehow, even if its not in his post, instead cant we just make a separate one?...im sure many of us are interested as in what gatherings will be going on so we will get a better idea of what costumes to take and stuff. ^^;; just a thought..

Anele
12-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I would be more than willing to start a fresh thread specifically for the Anime L.A. Cosplay Gathering List, so all posts in that thread can be geared towards making gatherings (times, days, etc.) and won't get messed up with this generic one. ^_^

Eveil
12-27-2004, 01:15 AM
I don't see there being too many gatherings, as this is a small sort of event. Just this thread is fine. It's better to just find everything in one place.

Jaina Solo
12-27-2004, 03:13 AM
Woo-hoo! This thread really got a shot in the arm! I agree in that there probably won't be a lot of gatherings... But I already know 3 peeps going as characters from Rurouni Kenshin!

Eurobeat King
12-27-2004, 10:37 AM
Jaina: I'm not 100% about Saitou for ALA.. :thumbsup: I'll bring the costume and sword, but it'll depend on how busy I am come the con, so I'll cosplay him if it's not that busy. The costume has no pockets, and it's tough to take pics while holding a sword & camera. I'll keep you posted as the con gets closer.. ;)

chaipnai
12-27-2004, 11:49 PM
well if your taking hermione, ill take Harry with me...which version? Im doing the uniform from the first and second movie.

I'll prob bring all... 1st/2nd, no robe tho... -_-;

Jaina Solo
12-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Jaina: I'm not 100% about Saitou for ALA.. :thumbsup: I'll bring the costume and sword, but it'll depend on how busy I am come the con, so I'll cosplay him if it's not that busy. The costume has no pockets, and it's tough to take pics while holding a sword & camera. I'll keep you posted as the con gets closer.. ;)

Tis understandable... Many anime costumes were obviously not designed for con-going, camera-carrying, picture-taking cosplayers in mind... ;)

PikminLink
12-28-2004, 03:14 AM
[QUOTE=PikminLink]well if your taking hermione, ill take Harry with me...which version? Im doing the uniform from the first and second movie.
QUOTE]

I'll prob bring all... 1st/2nd, no robe tho... -_-;

aww no robe, well she doesnt wear it much in the 2nd movie^^. Ill bring Harry then^_^ ..i really dont know what else to wear to this con -_-...oh well.

Sana-chan
12-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Aside from Ed and Naruto I really don't know what else to bring. I don't want to bring anything too complicated, but I feel so boring right now. I dunno @_@.

PikminLink
12-28-2004, 12:34 PM
bring yuna ^_~ ...do you also have your songtress still? *hint hint*

Anele
12-28-2004, 01:59 PM
One month until Anime L.A. today! ^_^

Jaina Solo
12-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Is Admin still coming to ALA? I was interested in a private photoshoot...

chaipnai
12-28-2004, 03:56 PM
aww no robe, well she doesnt wear it much in the 2nd movie^^. Ill bring Harry then^_^ ..i really dont know what else to wear to this con -_-...oh well.

I just noticed I don't have the skirt from the first two movies... AH! I prob might not even wear the robe from the last movie b/c I like the uniform itself, tho it looks like any normal uniform. I also have Hermy's pink hoodie that I got as a present. :D So if anyone is going in muggle wear, that works too. It's going to be magical when ALA hits...!

Eurobeat King
12-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Jaina: I believe Admin is still planning on going to ALA (the con is listed in his profile for upcoming cons he plans to attend) but I'm not sure if he's going for the whole weekend or just for one day.. You can PM him or wait for his reply here regarding private photoshoots.

PikminLink
12-29-2004, 02:34 AM
I just noticed I don't have the skirt from the first two movies... AH! I prob might not even wear the robe from the last movie b/c I like the uniform itself, tho it looks like any normal uniform. I also have Hermy's pink hoodie that I got as a present. :D So if anyone is going in muggle wear, that works too. It's going to be magical when ALA hits...!

muggle wear...hrmm..i think i might be able to make that in time^^..that would be interesting^^..but yeah bring the uniform too..ill let you know if i can bring the normal clothes..hehe i just noticed my shoes that i normally wear look almost the same to harry's...so yeah im giving this a shot^^

liddo-chan
12-29-2004, 03:53 AM
gosh, I'm itching to cosplay again, but it's kind of a long drive, so I don't know. It'd be easier to decide if I knew what the turnout would be like... I can't get my head around a 3-day "little convention" ;) I might try to talk my friend Neo Dave into taking a roadtrip... If so, we could debut our leaf green/fire red Team Rocket!

Evil Bishounen
12-29-2004, 04:23 AM
*finally posts here* I'll be going to Anime LA. I'm not 100% sure on what I'm cosplaying there, but it'll likely be Pip Bernadette from the Hellsing manga, and a robed clone from FFVII (since my friends have been begging me to do something FFVII with them :razz: ). I may or may not bring a third costume, depending on how transportation and time constraints work out.

Looking forward to invading Coco's and hangin' with my homies! XD

Anele
12-29-2004, 11:18 AM
--and a robed clone from FFVII (since my friends have been begging me to do something FFVII with them :razz: ).

Sizer made me do it, darn it! :razz: You can rant at her at the con! XD

...besides, it's not a BAD thing, anyways. ^_~ And we can't forget your Coco's!

Hazel Chaz
12-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Our room block closes on the 15th of January! Book your room right away! $79/night plus tax single/double, $89 triple, $99 quad; the hotel is filling up with another group, so you may not be able to get a room AT ALL after 15 January if you don't get your act together. (And yes, Anele, we'll negotiate a rate for some suites next year.)

And, our pre-registration cut-off for memberships is the same day, 15 January. (Although we're inclined to be flexible if you send it in by mail if it's postmarked by then.) If you're angling for the student discount rate of $25, you can use paypal to join and then e-mail us a scan of your student id or report card or class schedule. Otherwise it's a flat $30 for those of us grown-ups who aren't in school anymore (K-12 or college; even trade schools like DeVry count as school to us).

(P.S.: If we decided at the last minute to have some Karaoke, is there anyone who could help us with the materials like the music and CDs? Just wondering... we found someone who's got a K. machine.)

Oh, and that loon who posted the nonsense about Furries and LASFS running both ConFurence and Anime Los Angeles, on several LJ's and elsewhere? Utter tripe. Just delete it. I'm the chair of Anime Los Angeles, and I rule with an iron whim, and I didn't run ConFurence. And LASFS didn't run ConFurence, and LASFS isn't in charge of Anime Los Angeles either. And Fred Patten, our fan guest of honor, hasn't chaired a convention in 17 years, and usually doesn't work on them either. And MTV is not a reliable source of information, especially when they're trying to make anyone look bad.

Hazel Chaz
12-31-2004, 12:36 AM
And by the way, if you want to get ahold of me for any Anime Los Angeles business, the most direct route is to look for me on AIM as "Hazel Chaz", write to chair (at) anime-la.org, or pick up the phone and call my cell at 714-20-MANGY.

(I'm on AIM all day at the office -- if it takes me a while to reply, it's because I'm busy doing real work which sometimes gets in the way of my fun.)

KorosuAkurei
01-01-2005, 12:30 AM
P.S.: If we decided at the last minute to have some Karaoke, is there anyone who could help us with the materials like the music and CDs? Just wondering... we found someone who's got a K. machine.

My friends and I would be able to help with some CDs....but if we lent them to you for karaoke we would get the cds back right? haha.

Hazel Chaz
01-01-2005, 02:55 AM
My friends and I would be able to help with some CDs....but if we lent them to you for karaoke we would get the cds back right? haha.

Yes, of course; to speed things along after the con, it would be a good idea to put your names on the cd cases. Thanks for the offer!

chaipnai
01-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Any one day rates for people? I have some friends who want to go or only can make it one day. I didn't notice this on the site, so if it's there, I apologize for the redundancy of the question.

chaipnai
01-01-2005, 03:25 PM
muggle wear...hrmm..i think i might be able to make that in time^^..that would be interesting^^..but yeah bring the uniform too..ill let you know if i can bring the normal clothes..hehe i just noticed my shoes that i normally wear look almost the same to harry's...so yeah im giving this a shot^^

I wonder who will notice us in such normal attire? *coughshpfanscoughs* But I think we'll still have fun. It's easy cause we can use what we already have! Such a moneysaver. booya!

Ura-Kou
01-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Cool, just heard about this con today. I'll definitely attend seeing as I don't live very far from it. See you all there =)

Anele
01-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Finished my Black Materia for this convention! I'm thinking of adding a light inside it (white or black light). Sephiroth's ready to roll again. ^_^

Is anyone doing the gathering list? I have a post on the first page (#13) that I can convert into a gathering list.

Hazel Chaz
01-02-2005, 02:44 AM
Any one day rates for people? I have some friends who want to go or only can make it one day. I didn't notice this on the site, so if it's there, I apologize for the redundancy of the question.

We have plans for day rates, but it won't be any cheaper than the student rate for the whole weekend. (Well, Sunday might be. But Friday and Saturday one-day passes would be the same price as the student pre-reg rate.)

We haven't announced them formally, because we're not pre-registering for day passes, and we'd like to encourage people to sign up for the whole thing. (You might find that you can stop by for a few hours on Friday for the dance, and want to come back for the full day on Saturday. Or you show up on Saturday and stop by Sunday for a quick run into the dealer's room. Or...)

By the way I went by the hotel, and determined that there are two logical places for group photos. One of them is a sort of almost-stage thing, a big brick patio that's two small stair-steps up from the rest of the pavement. The other is a lawn, with a waterful-rocky-brook thing next to it -- you could gather on the lawn, or you could gather on one side of the water and let people take pictures from the other side of the water. (For that matter, two groups could be out there at the same time.) Photos will be posted real soon now, as soon as I can get to the office where my memory card reader is.

There's also an open area around the hot tubs, and some trees out in the parking lot, but they're not as nice as these places.

We're going to be in the hotel's "Plaza Tower" by the way -- you should request Plaza Tower rooms when you book your room. There are lots of rooms with two beds in the Plaza Tower, and there are some connecting rooms where a double connects to a single. (If you're looking for two connecting doubles, you'll have to be in the main building instead of the Plaza Tower; send e-mail to hotel (at) anime-la.org to have us make sure you get a good location.)

Hazel Chaz
01-02-2005, 02:46 AM
At today's meeting we confirmed two costuming workshops for Anime Los Angeles.

Workshop #1 (Prop): make a staff. We're a mile from a hardware/lumber store; go buy five or six feet worth of towel rod, and on Saturday afternoon we'll have a workshop to show you how to take it from there.

Workshop #2 (Costume): make a kimono, which is the basis for many, many costumes. There's a fabric store not too far away, if you decide at the last minute to participate. Bring five or six yards of something, and the thread to go with it, and if you can drive a sewing machine PLEASE bring it along. We'll see how many kimonos we can put together Sunday morning.

Eveil
01-02-2005, 03:25 AM
Anele - your reservation for the two connecting doubles has been confirmed, and they've moved you to the ground floor to the rooms that are closest to the doors leading out to the photo area (see my previous post) which are on opposite sides of the patio in front of the Plaza Tower.

Chaz

I find that better to be a private email instead since it's not really relating to her previous post nor really to this topic. o.o

Anele
01-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Even though that news is great to hear, Chaz, I think you should have emailed/AIMed/PMed me the announcement instead of posting it here for the world to see, so-to-speak. ^^;;; Thank you muchly though.

And relating to your first post, did you acquire any actual photos of the places described?

And gathering list? ^^ I'm still up for running it if you still want me to.

Eveil
01-02-2005, 08:14 PM
And gathering list? ^^ I'm still up for running it if you still want me to.

If you want it so bad, go ahead and go for it. It's already coming close, sooner the better. @__@

Anele
01-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Photos will be posted real soon now, as soon as I can get to the office where my memory card reader is.

Disregard the correlating portion of my previous post. Sorry about that. I must have not caught onto this (I read this announcement on the Anime L.A. boards, and found out there; man, I must be really out of it today :thumbsup: ). As for my "want" of the gathering list, I just thought I would lend a hand and help out, considering that there are more than several people who have been asking for one. *sighs* Any-which-way, I look forward to the convention, happening in just 26 days. :bigtu:

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Our Masquerade/Cosplay will be run by Jess Miller, on Saturday night. Sign-ups will be on Friday and Saturday at the convention. Workmanship judging will be available for those who choose to participate.

We expect to have the house lights up throughout -- no darkened steps to climb up, no spotlights in your eyes. If you have pre-recorded voice-over or music, bring it. We'll have a wide-angle mic (or whatever they're called) so you don't have to pass the microphone back and forth: just raise your voice a little and speak clearly if you have speaking parts to your presentation.

We have access to the hotel's access corridor behind the ballroom, so if your costume is a surprise the audience won't know you're coming; after your presentation there will be rows of seats set aside for you to sit down in.

While the judges are deliberating, we'll count the votes from the audience for the audience's choice.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 01:11 AM
One-day memberships will be available. $25 for Friday, $25 for Saturday, or $20 for Sunday. Evening memberships (sold after dealer's room closes and daytime program ends) will be $15 for Friday or Saturday. One-day memberships will only be available at the door.

One-day or one-night memberships expire when Registration opens the following morning. Whatever you paid for it counts as credit towards upgrading to a full weekend membership, which is $40. So if you pay for a night membership Friday for $15, the $25 you'd be paying for Saturday completes your payment for a full membership and therefore you'd get a full weekend badge good on Sunday too at that point.

Registration will be open starting at 10am every morning. When daytime program ends and the dealer's room closes, Registration will start selling evening memberships; at some point this service will migrate from the fixed table location to someone standing around wearing an apron that says "Registration."

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 01:13 AM
The Costume Repair Station will also serve as a quick-change room. If you're commuting to the convention and your costumes are out in your car, you can bring them in and change in the Costume Repair Station. We'll have two changing booths in the back. We'll have minimal snackage in the Costume Repair Station, but you will be able to get a bottle of water with a bendy straw, and if you've got some kind of mask you can probably get someone to feed you baby carrot sticks and M&M's for a quick nosh. Hours for the Costume Repair Station are tentatively scheduled for 11am to 1am Friday/Sat, 11am to sometime in the afternoon on Sunday (same hours as Convention Hospitality Suite where you'll find the chocolate and the hard-boiled eggs and the peanut butter and jelly and the Mountain Dew/Pepsi/Diet Coke/whatever your poison is).

xfallenangelx
01-03-2005, 01:23 AM
I hope I can make it!
~Anji

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 01:24 AM
We're looking for people who know the Final Fantasy songs. We're really looking for someone personable, friendly, knowledgeable, and a likely candidate to lead a Final Fantasy Sing-a-long program item. If you'd be interested, please consider writing to prog (at) anime-la.org.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 01:29 AM

I've answered your question in a previous post, but I wanted to add something else here. If you're looking for something particular on the main website, after you've checked the regular pages look on the forums on the website - see http://www.anime-la.org/anime-la/bbs/ . If you don't see your answer there, post the question there, and I'll post a response. From time to time I fold in my forum info back into the main website, but it's been lagging behind a bit lately...

I intend to catch up the website tonight, though, so that the questions that I've been answering on the forums will have "official" answers on the website as well.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Here's the brick stage, where wedding photos are usually snapped. I'm facing east from the patio in front of the Plaza Tower. I would consider this Location #1. All my photos from the Airtel can be found at http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Pix/2005/pix2805.htm .

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 02:11 AM
The only way I can figure out how to post images here is to put one in my signature, and it'll be the same on every message. So I'll just tell you that there's a fountain at the end of a lawn, immediately west of the patio, and I would suggest calling that gathering place #2; and there's a rocky brook thing, where you could stand on one side of it and have the water reflecting in front of you, and I'd call that gathering place #3.

See http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Pix/2005/pix2805.htm for all the photos.

Jaina Solo
01-03-2005, 02:19 AM
Moot. All of Hazel Chaz's posts are getting me excited! Any word on a head count so far?

PikminLink
01-03-2005, 02:38 AM
I wonder who will notice us in such normal attire? *coughshpfanscoughs* But I think we'll still have fun. It's easy cause we can use what we already have! Such a moneysaver. booya!

hehe yeah, but cool, im still up for it, im almost done with the edits on mine.

Kokuu
01-03-2005, 02:40 AM
We're looking for people who know the Final Fantasy songs. We're really looking for someone personable, friendly, knowledgeable, and a likely candidate to lead a Final Fantasy Sing-a-long program item. If you'd be interested, please consider writing to prog (at) anime-la.org.

I'd be interested in leading the Final Fantasy sing-along! I just sent an e-mail inquiring what that entails. Iíve studied voice for over 6 years, and am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy music, though I would have to brush up on the words to the songs, especially Suteki da ne, since I donít know Japanese. XD

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Moot. All of Hazel Chaz's posts are getting me excited! Any word on a head count so far?

We're still on track for an expected 300 members at the door. We're getting memberships by mail at the po box at the rate of about one a day, and the paypal ones are coming in a little faster than that, so based on that and based on other start-up anime conventions we think we'll hit our 300 target. Ask me again after pre-reg closes on the 15th...

If we get many more than that, we'll go out and buy more food for the Convention Hospitality Suite, and tell the hotel we need more space for next year. (Actually, we're already planning to ask for more space next year...)

Anele
01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the photos, Chaz. I never realized the Airtel had a brook on its grounds.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the photos, Chaz. I never realized the Airtel had a brook on its grounds.

Actually, it might be more of a pond than a brook. A rocky pond.

Anele
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Brook, pond, *shrugs* I just didn't know/remember that the Airtel had that kind of 'backyard'.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Brook, pond, *shrugs* I just didn't know/remember that the Airtel had that kind of 'backyard'.

It's not obvious, because you have to leave the main building to go to the Plaza Tower (out the north side of the main building). It's just a little landscaped area between the buildings. If you've been there and just poked around a little bit (like the main pool area, the restaurant & bar, the big ballrooms, the gift shop) you'd never find it. You're probably a lot more familiar with the south and west side of the property than you are with the north. (They usually put the flight crews that stay over in that tower, away from the madding crowds.)

Maryssa
01-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I've looked all over the website for this convention and I cannot find any times for registration, the masquerade, judging, etc. Can someone point me in a direction to find this information?

Sana-chan
01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Another question here lol about the karaoke-ness mentioned page... is it just open karaoke or is there a contest?

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 06:16 PM
I've looked all over the website for this convention and I cannot find any times for registration, the masquerade, judging, etc. Can someone point me in a direction to find this information?

Times are still being finalized. I can tell you that Registration will open at 10:00 am every day. Masquerade sign-ups will be on Friday and Saturday. Craftsmanship judging will be before the Masquerade, if you choose to participate. The event itself is scheduled for 7:30 pm. Counting the votes for audience's favorite, and the judges' deliberations, will take as long as it takes. After it's all over, we clear the chairs out of the way and DJ :Lynx: starts "Adrenochrome South", which is basically the L.A. edition of his weekly Club Adrenochrome in San Francisco that he's been running for several years.

Also the Costume Workshops will be Saturday afternoon (bring a curtain rod, take home a staff) and Sunday morning (bring 5 or 6 yards of fabric, the right thread for the fabric, and a sewing machine if you can help sew, and take home a kimono).

Finally, the Costume Repair Station hours are 11:00 am to 1:00 am (same as the convention hospitality suite). And I went and updated the website to put this info there too.

Hazel Chaz
01-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Another question here lol about the karaoke-ness mentioned page... is it just open karaoke or is there a contest?

We're going to try an hour of open karaoke, and we'll see what response we get to that when we decide what to do next year.

Marychan
01-03-2005, 08:41 PM
YAY I can go, I can go. Its the weaken after winter formal, good, and its right after finals, which is perfect cuz I can reward myself by buying all kind of anime stuff for my hard studying.

I wonder what everyone is cosplaying as, maybe I should start a thread.
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=50848

Jaina Solo
01-04-2005, 01:26 AM
Will there be Hall Awards for cosplays?

Wow. I can't get over how excited I am. I guess I ought to register pretty soon here... -.-*

Hazel Chaz
01-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Will there be Hall Awards for cosplays?

Wow. I can't get over how excited I am. I guess I ought to register pretty soon here... -.-*

Yes, we'll have hall costume awards.

(Can you tell we're trying to make this a cosplay-friendly convention?)

Eveil
01-04-2005, 02:06 AM
As for my "want" of the gathering list, I just thought I would lend a hand and help out, considering that there are more than several people who have been asking for one. *sighs*

Well, you keep asking for it, so it's a "want" @_@
Pleeeease, go right ahead and do it~
I'm making this as nice as typing words will let me, I do suggest PM others who are interested to do some collaboration.
Again, the sooner the better. Sometimes you just gotta take it into your own hands.
If not, it's ok. If so, that's fine too.

Hazel Chaz
01-04-2005, 02:12 AM
Well, you keep asking for it, so it's a "want" @_@
Pleeeease, go right ahead and do it~
I'm making this as nice as typing words will let me, I do suggest PM others who are interested to do some collaboration.
Again, the sooner the better. Sometimes you just gotta take it into your own hands.
If not, it's ok. If so, that's fine too.

Hildechan, I only recently stumbled in here to cosplay.com. I noticed at one or two other large conventions I'd been to that they had a cosplay gathering schedule -- Final Fantasy 17 at 11:00 am, Guilty Gundam at noon, Oh! My Gumption at 1 pm, and so forth. Is this the "gathering lists" you guys are talking about? Are these schedules usually drawn up by people on cosplay.com? Does the convention usually have someone do it on an official basis? Is it a hybrid of those approaches?

If it's usually official, I'd better hustle to appoint someone...

Eveil
01-04-2005, 03:10 AM
Hildechan, I only recently stumbled in here to cosplay.com. I noticed at one or two other large conventions I'd been to that they had a cosplay gathering schedule -- Final Fantasy 17 at 11:00 am, Guilty Gundam at noon, Oh! My Gumption at 1 pm, and so forth. Is this the "gathering lists" you guys are talking about? Are these schedules usually drawn up by people on cosplay.com? Does the convention usually have someone do it on an official basis? Is it a hybrid of those approaches?

If it's usually official, I'd better hustle to appoint someone...

eh, it's usually a schedule list people like to volunteer for to try and organize gatherings. It isn't official, nor it isn't all that needed but it helps for meeting up with people and doing some photoshoots.
A lot of people plan by them which does make a convention experience easier. Though there shouldn't be too much trouble with meeting/photos at a smaller con.
:dance:

Yana_Neko
01-04-2005, 10:27 AM
For all you HP people (chaipnai and PikminLink), I am doing Slytherin cosplay for ALA, I just can't decide whether I should be Draco or Pansy. And should I still bring my Harry Potter costume? Since PikminLink will be bringing hers, I was thinking of lending my robe out to my friend so he could cosplay Dean Thomas. Whether he will or not is a mystery ^_^;

Also, whether I cosplay Draco or Pansy, my friend Yatsu will be the one I decide to not cosplay. So either way, we'll have both. I just need help deciding who to be, personally. For photo reference, check out the gallery - there's piccies of us - me in Harry and Yatsu as a random Slytherin student.

I can also be sure to bring a Ron in the "R" sweater!

PikminLink
01-04-2005, 01:13 PM
For all you HP people (chaipnai and PikminLink), I am doing Slytherin cosplay for ALA, I just can't decide whether I should be Draco or Pansy. And should I still bring my Harry Potter costume? Since PikminLink will be bringing hers, I was thinking of lending my robe out to my friend so he could cosplay Dean Thomas. Whether he will or not is a mystery ^_^;

Also, whether I cosplay Draco or Pansy, my friend Yatsu will be the one I decide to not cosplay. So either way, we'll have both. I just need help deciding who to be, personally. For photo reference, check out the gallery - there's piccies of us - me in Harry and Yatsu as a random Slytherin student.

I can also be sure to bring a Ron in the "R" sweater!

well so far it looks like chaipnai and me are doing the muggle outfits from PoA, but im also taking my uniform from the 1st&2nd movie. Actually we need a muggle outfit Ron ^_~ *hint hint R sweater*

As for draco or pansy, wear the one you like best, but i think draco would be cool^__^. Let me know when you want to wear it, and Ill join you with mine.

chaipnai
01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
well so far it looks like chaipnai and me are doing the muggle outfits from PoA, but im also taking my uniform from the 1st&2nd movie. Actually we need a muggle outfit Ron ^_~ *hint hint R sweater*

As for draco or pansy, wear the one you like best, but i think draco would be cool^__^. Let me know when you want to wear it, and Ill join you with mine.

Bring the Ron when we do muggles. :D
As for Draco/Pansy, I think Draco would be cool. But whatever you want. If you and PikminLink do Slytherins, I'll have a partial of it (no sweater/robe), but it still works, right?

Perhaps we can do multiple changes? haha... I know I'm going to want to wear the regular uniform (1st/2nd and 3rd, Gryffindor), too.

Hazel Chaz
01-05-2005, 12:30 AM
Anyone going on Sunday and is Anaheim on the way? <<; I need a ride ._.;

If you don't get a ride, you might consider taking the train... :) Seriously, the train stops at Anaheim Stadium and in Van Nuys, and the hotel van will come around and get you from the Amtrak stop for free.

Anele
01-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Just to let anyone know who is considering taking the hotel shuttle services, they only do it if it is available at the time you call for assistance. When I made hotel reservations, and asked about the Amtrak station and the shuttle pick-up, this is what they told me. If you are, by chance, taking the Amtrak from further South, I suggest calling the hotel when your train is nearing or at the Burbank station, because, if I remember correctly, Burbank is the last stop before Van Nuys coming up from the South line. Also, I do not know if the Airtel will provide free services to those not staying at the hotel (non-paying customers). Best thing to do is check it out. ^_^

Tokyo Kitty
01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I'll be coming with my Beatrix costume, and probably Schala as well ^_^ I'm hoping to just stay at the hotel and go all three days, but we'll see how money holds up ;_;

And to those who posted above, thank you for the Masquerade information. I couldn't find anything on the site.

Anele
01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Tokyo Kitty, I hope I run into you again! Had a great time hanging out with you at Ani-Magic. ^_^

Tokyo Kitty
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
*blush* Thanks! Let's plan to meet up

Jaina Solo
01-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Hazel Chaz--I just bought 2 student pre-regs via paypal. Is there an e-mail address I can e-mail you the pics of both student IDs (one is mine, and one is my boyfriend's--you can PM me the address if you'd like). Also, using PayPal, there was no place to list the name for the tag; I bought both of these memberships, but one is not for me; I just don't want both memberships to have my name on it, LoL. I listed the names in the message box, and the names will be on the student IDs... Anywho, thanks for your help! See you at ALA!

mysticalchali
01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, I'll be going :D woot woot!

PikminLink
01-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Bring the Ron when we do muggles. :D
As for Draco/Pansy, I think Draco would be cool. But whatever you want. If you and PikminLink do Slytherins, I'll have a partial of it (no sweater/robe), but it still works, right?

Perhaps we can do multiple changes? haha... I know I'm going to want to wear the regular uniform (1st/2nd and 3rd, Gryffindor), too.

ill be doing gryffindor, since thats the only class i have..i doubt ill make the others though^^;;

I dont have the 3rd uniform yet. so what i will be bringing will be my gryffindor 1st/2nd year, and my 3rd year HP muggle.

Sana-chan
01-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Times are still being finalized. I can tell you that Registration will open at 10:00 am every day. Masquerade sign-ups will be on Friday and Saturday. Craftsmanship judging will be before the Masquerade, if you choose to participate. The event itself is scheduled for 7:30 pm. Counting the votes for audience's favorite, and the judges' deliberations, will take as long as it takes.

Wait the audience is voting for the winners? or is that just for one award? *confused* lol

Maryssa
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Hmm if I can get to the fabric store and make a skirt I can join in on the hogwarts stuff... I've had everything else ready just not a skirt >.<

Jaina Solo
01-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Yargh... Does anyone know Hazel-Chaz's e-mail address? If so, please PM it to me! Thanks!

Hazel Chaz
01-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Hazel Chaz--I just bought 2 student pre-regs via paypal. Is there an e-mail address I can e-mail you the pics of both student IDs (one is mine, and one is my boyfriend's--you can PM me the address if you'd like). Also, using PayPal, there was no place to list the name for the tag; I bought both of these memberships, but one is not for me; I just don't want both memberships to have my name on it, LoL. I listed the names in the message box, and the names will be on the student IDs... Anywho, thanks for your help! See you at ALA!

When you send in the student ID scans to reg@anime-la.org -- which presumably you'll do from the same e-mail address you used with paypal? -- mention that the paypal account is in the name of Gundam Solo, but you want the two memberships to be in the names of Jaina Solo and Mal Solo. (Or whatever.)

Hazel Chaz
01-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Wait the audience is voting for the winners? or is that just for one award? *confused* lol

We have some judges for the cosplay, including a workmanship judge I think you'll recognize, and judging for the presentations, like you'd ordinarily expect to have.

But we'll ALSO have an audience-voted prize, for audience's favorite.

Chaz

Hazel Chaz
01-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Yargh... Does anyone know Hazel-Chaz's e-mail address? If so, please PM it to me! Thanks!

I can be reached at chair@anime-la.org. Or you can find me on AIM ("Hazel Chaz") most of the day, because I use it in my office.

And if you get totally frustrated with trying to find me online, you can call me at 714-20-MANGY.

liddo-chan
01-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I just went through the pre-reg and booked the hotel room, so I'm set to go!

I might join the HP group as well, if you guys don't mind. I have the 3rd year tie or 1st year scarf, both Gryffindor. Or I can borrow my friend's Ravenclaw scarf and come up with a muggle Cho Chang ;) but only if PL promises to blush whenever I talk to her! heehee.

I'm also bringing Chii's bakery uniform and Team Rocket (Leaf Green/Fire Red).

Gainax Boy
01-06-2005, 04:56 PM
Hotel room set... Registration being sent ^_^

I'm totally stoked about this convention. I'll more than likely be Bringing:

Gainax Boy (It's not a convention without Gainax Boy) - I'll probably enter this costume for Masquerade as well, maybe do a funny walk-on or something ^^;;. Anyone interested in helping me out on stage?

Hige - I only wore it once at AX and it needs more wear time

Tuxedo Mask Pajama-style - at the request of Brilliant moon cosplay

and maybe.. since plenty of people are bringing their HP costumes, I might bring my Sirius Black and join in on the party :)

PikminLink
01-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Hmm if I can get to the fabric store and make a skirt I can join in on the hogwarts stuff... I've had everything else ready just not a skirt >.<

That be cool which house are you cosplaying from?

liddo-chan: hehe ^__^. bring Cho Chang!

Hazel Chaz
01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
I was asked if you have a nickname or alias on your badge, do we put your real name on there too? The answer to that is, we do if you tell us to. We can put two lines on the badge, no problem, we do it all the time.

I've been kicking around an idea for "cosplay badges", though, and I wanted to bounce the idea off of you guys. It would be a double-sided badge, with your regular name (or your regular fan name if that's what you ask for), and the other side would have your character's name for when you're dressed as that character. Either side would be a regular badge - we'd just put two of them in there when we laminate it.

I've seen that a lot of people bring different costumes for different days (or for different hours of the day), so would this be of any interest at all?

Jaina Solo
01-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all your help, Hazel Chaz!

Regarding the character name on the badge, like you said, a lot of people bring more than one costume, so it might be in vain to have a character name on the other side of the badge if your name doesn't match up with your costume. However, lots of people have nicknames that they use that would be nice to put on one side of the badge! If I've already sent in my registration and name and everything, is it too late to request a nickname to put on the second line of the badge (or the other side)? Thanks!

liddo-chan
01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Also the Costume Workshops will be Saturday afternoon (bring a curtain rod, take home a staff) and Sunday morning (bring 5 or 6 yards of fabric, the right thread for the fabric, and a sewing machine if you can help sew, and take home a kimono).

A friend of mine is registering mostly to do the costume workshops, so I just wanted to make sure they'll be happening. Is it the same workshop Sat. and Sun., and will there be sign ups in advance? Also, if you could post what time they'll be taking place (whenever the schedule is finalized) that'd be great too. Thanks!

Neo_Serenity
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
For some reason I thought I already posted here, but I guess not! ^^ I will definitely be attending.

Hazel Chaz or Anele, have either of you decided to put together a gathering list? I think it would be excellent. If so, my group would like to host a Sailor Moon gathering (officially- The Sailor Moon Pajama Party) sometime on Saturday that doesn't conflict with the Final Fantasy gathering (as some of Brilliant Moon is participating). We would like to be added to the schedule. Thanks!! :bigtu:

Anele
01-07-2005, 01:48 AM
I guess I could head it up, sure. Would you guys like a new thread for the list, or shall I convert my #13 post on the first page of this thread to the gathering list?

Evil Bishounen
01-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I guess I could head it up, sure. Would you guys like a new thread for the list, or shall I convert my #13 post on the first page of this thread to the gathering list?
It'd be a lot easier to see/find/respond to if it were in a separate thread, I think.

On the topic of cosplay badges, I like the idea of having a cosplayer's chosen pseudonym (whatever that may be) on the badge. Those people only bringing one costume can have that character's name, those with multiple costumes can just use their cosplay nickname instead, etc.

And random - Anime LA got its own subforum! Awesome!!

Hazel Chaz
01-07-2005, 04:53 AM
A friend of mine is registering mostly to do the costume workshops, so I just wanted to make sure they'll be happening. Is it the same workshop Sat. and Sun., and will there be sign ups in advance? Also, if you could post what time they'll be taking place (whenever the schedule is finalized) that'd be great too. Thanks!

The one Saturday afternoon - probably 4 or 5 pm - is the prop workshop, where we make a staff.

(We might have an off-site run immediately after the prop workshop to go to a fabric store to shop for the morning workshop... maybe stop by a laundromat too to wash our newly-purchased fabric, then iron it back at the hotel.)

The one on Sunday morning -- probably 10 am -- is the costume workshop, where we make a kimono. We'll need as many sewing machines & sewing machine operators as we can round up -- we'll check with our tech people to determine how many we can safely operate in the program room, and that'll influence the limit to how many people can sign up for the workshops. The signup sheet will be at Registration, so ask about it when you pick up your badge.

So your friend will probably want to come both days.

Chaz

Hazel Chaz
01-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Thanks for all your help, Hazel Chaz!

Regarding the character name on the badge, like you said, a lot of people bring more than one costume, so it might be in vain to have a character name on the other side of the badge if your name doesn't match up with your costume. However, lots of people have nicknames that they use that would be nice to put on one side of the badge! If I've already sent in my registration and name and everything, is it too late to request a nickname to put on the second line of the badge (or the other side)? Thanks!

No, it's not too late. It's just a matter of updating our database. Tell Elayne (our reg database person) you want your nickname on the second line of your badge. If we go with the double-sided badge approach, we'll deal with at the reg desk on-site.

Hazel Chaz
01-07-2005, 04:56 AM

Anele, thanks for volunteering. You're officially in charge of the gathering list.

I assume you saw the post on the Naruto thread? (Saturday 3pm)

Chaz

redclover
01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Ahh I really want to go! It all just depends on if my boyfriend gets a car, or if someone else could drive me and let me stay with them, seeing as how I'm only 15 minutes away @_@;

If I do come, I'll bring my Rinoa from A-M 04 (and maybe redo the duster/armwarmers in time), and if I'm lucky, I'll bring my Phantom of the Opera cosplay of Christine in her "Think of Me" dress lol

Anele
01-07-2005, 02:36 PM
No problem, Chaz (and my sympathies for your recent loss). And yes, I did see the post in the Naruto thread (will go to check if they had a gathering spot picked out or not). *comes back* Thanks, Naruto gatherers, for having it all in the first post. :bigtu: Cosplay gathering list now up!

I know there's talk of a Harry Potter gathering, and also of a Sailor Moon pajama gathering, so just remember you can now submit your gathering's time and date to the gathering list :) (also for the other gatherings I might have missed [sorry!]). As of right now, there's no specific date and time for an all-encompassing Final Fantasy gathering.

PikminLink
01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
for all you HP people, do you want to set up a HP gathering time and place? ^^

Kokuu
01-07-2005, 03:10 PM
I have a registration question- I'm a college student, but unfortunately at the moment I don't have a student ID. I'll be getting one at the end of the month, but that will be after pre-reg is done. Can I register for the student rate and show my ID when I pick up my badge?

Maryssa
01-07-2005, 04:08 PM
That be cool which house are you cosplaying from?

Slytherin ;D

liddo-chan
01-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Saturday would be good, maybe earlier in the day?

hmm, I wish they'd release some photos of Cho from the fourth movie... I don't know what her taste in "normal clothes" would be! ;)

chaipnai
01-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Saturday would be good, maybe earlier in the day?

I like Saturday, too. Maybe 12. or is that too early?

The thing is Yana and I are suppose to head the Scavenger Hunt that's going to go down in ALA, and I'd hope we can get people to join in, but we would want it to be at a time before masquerade, but not when there are too many major cosplay gatherings going on. I noticed some afternoon timeslots are being filled for major cosplay gatherings (FF7, Naruto), and I was hoping to schedule the Scav Hunt around 2-3. Any suggestions to when a good time would be? For now, we are shooting for 1PM for the Scavenger Hunt.

Would Sunday be a problem to try to gather for HP? I would say Friday, but right now Yana might not be able to make it. :(

chaipnai
01-07-2005, 09:11 PM

gathering place 3 or 2 works. Any other is fine, really.

Would 12 at Saturday work? If not, maybe Sunday (after)noon? I'm looking for a good time so the scavenger hunt and major cosplay gatherings don't clash. If no HP cosplayers are gathering/taking pics for naruto or ff7, overlapping them would be fine (if we don't use the same gathering location, too.)

PikminLink
01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
ok, i also like noon on sat. is that fine with everyone then?

Hazel Chaz
01-07-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a registration question- I'm a college student, but unfortunately at the moment I don't have a student ID. I'll be getting one at the end of the month, but that will be after pre-reg is done. Can I register for the student rate and show my ID when I pick up my badge?

What about your class schedule? Or something from the school? A receipt for your tuition? I'm inclined to be flexible, but we really don't want to have to deal with it on-site...

Yana_Neko
01-08-2005, 12:03 AM
ok, i also like noon on sat. is that fine with everyone then?

Noon is perfect! ^_^

PikminLink
01-08-2005, 12:20 AM
where should it be held?
( http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=51125 ) locations in that thread.

chaipnai
01-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Noon is perfect! ^_^

Noooooooon!

I guess Yana and I will need to bum rush ourselves to the Scavenger Hunt if it's set at the 1PM frame. @.@

Double checking, but I will be in Hermy's muggle (3rd movie) for the gathering, correct?.... (*relieved to get to wear jeans*)

liddo-chan
01-08-2005, 12:30 AM
noon Sat. is good for me too. ^^ None of those gathering spots look v. English, but maybe the first one with the hedges would be best?

PikminLink
01-08-2005, 12:34 AM
chaipnai: ill be in my muggle potter then. Im thinking of wearing the 1st year before the gathering, then change into muggle wear.

liddo-chan: yeah i also like the first one.

chaipnai
01-08-2005, 12:41 AM
chaipnai: ill be in my muggle potter then. Im thinking of wearing the 1st year before the gathering, then change into muggle wear.

Were you planning to be in uniform? I wasn't sure, but I had thought we were gathering as muggles (to give variety to the gathering). I actually wanted to be in uniform, too. Maybe we can do that as well? I'll probably be in it earlier that day, too.

(will probably be in 3-5 different things that day, ahhhh!)

Yana_Neko
01-08-2005, 12:44 AM
I'll go with whatever location you guys prefer. The 1st location may be best for photos, however. Especially if we have a larger group. I want a big group ^__^

PikminLink
01-08-2005, 12:45 AM
well i thought you wanted to wear the muggle for the gathering at noon..or im mixed up..but I am wearing my muggle for the gathering.

im gonna wear the uniform before the gathering then go change into muggle for the gathering.. We can do us both a uniform gathering before like around 11 if you want..whenever..just let me know.

chaipnai
01-08-2005, 12:52 AM
PikminLink: Yea, the muggle works for the gathering. Uniform gathering sounds good, too. I can work with 11! : )

thankies!

PikminLink
01-08-2005, 01:10 AM
so the uniform is just yours and my little gathering and who ever wants to join at 11 right? but the MAIN HP gathering is at noon.

chaipnai
01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
pikminlink: yea! I'm sure Yana will come, :P

http://www.boston-baden.com/hazel/Pix/p.cgi?2005+2805-4+hotel013.jpg
I like this one (gathering place 2, looking east) or gathering place 3 for our uniform gathering if we use 1 for the main gathering. I know it's not "engish" like, but it's pretty!

so, reminding ourselves again...
main gathering @ 12: gathering place 1
uniform gathering @ 11: gathering place 2 east or 3?

PikminLink
01-08-2005, 01:32 PM
yeah..should i make a new thread for the hp gathering so we dont crowd this one?

Daitenshi
01-08-2005, 03:28 PM
It turns out that I'll be in Idaho for the weekend, but I will return early on sunday morning, so if I have enough energy I'll do what I can to make it over and say hi~

Anele
01-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Just to let everyone know, the gathering list for all of the cosplay goodness will be finalized two weeks from today. That way, I can give the final list to Chaz so he can print it out for con attendees or whatever he would like to do with it. So be sure to get your prospective gatherings together and head over to the list thread. ^^

According to weather.com, the forecast for the week and a half or so ahead of the Anime L.A. weekend is looking out to be free of rain. Hopefully it stays that way! ^_^

Mandy Mitchell
01-11-2005, 09:29 PM
I have a 50% chance on going depending on how my situation will turn out. I really want to go, and I'll try my best. I'll probably just show up on Saturday.

Super No 1
01-13-2005, 12:23 AM
I reserved a hotel room for myself earlier this week. When I get a hotel room for a convention, I tend to be more like a hermit. If I can drag myself out of my room or the hotel's fitness center, I might actually take a photo or two. :p

Velvy
01-17-2005, 11:04 PM
I'll be there all three days (and then some).

Christophe
01-18-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm going to try to make it there. ^__^! However I'm in Northern California and have been crazy busy and haven't been able to arrange for a ride/flight or accomodations yet. x__x

Is there anyone else who is going to Anime LA who is also from Northern California that I might be able to ride down with and/or share the cost of a room? I don't drive myself yet, but I'd be happy to chip in for gas!

I plan on staying in the area a few days after to visit friends, so I only need a ride down there and will most likely take a Grayhound bus back. XD Usually my whole family takes con trips down to SoCal but this time they can't go. It will be quite the adventure but I really want to go!

If I manage to make it, I will probably bring simple/small costumes:

- Zechs in Formal Wear
- Touga Movie Version
- Ky Kiske

I hope to see you all there!

- Christophe

Hazel Chaz
01-20-2005, 12:41 AM
Lisa Gochnauer wrote to our program department about the F.F. sing-a-long, on January 3 and the 16th. Our program dept. tried to reply on the 3rd and the 17th; it looks like our e-mail msgs didn't get through.

So, Lisa, if you're out there, would please send me a PM, or call me at 714-20-MANGY? Or look me up on AIM, as "Hazel Chaz"?

And for the rest of you: What do we need to make a Final Fantasy sing-a-long a success? We're thinking we need lyric sheets -- or does everyone have the songs all memorized? Should we have a cd player or tape deck -- and does someone have the FF music that we can play for everyone to sing along to? Or should we just do the whole thing a capella?

jetspectacular
01-20-2005, 01:14 AM
lyric sheets and background music, even just the original tracks from OSTs are a must.. you wouldnt even need too many copies, just make up a story that encourages people to share if quanitity is a hangup..?

Hazel Chaz
01-20-2005, 03:26 AM
lyric sheets and background music, even just the original tracks from OSTs are a must.. you wouldnt even need too many copies, just make up a story that encourages people to share if quanitity is a hangup..?

Thanks for the response. Very helpful to know what would work well (and what people are expecting).

[I don't suppose you have any of these that you can loan us, please? If you do, can you please write to prog (at) anime-la.org and tell them?]

chaipnai
01-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the response. Very helpful to know what would work well (and what people are expecting).

[I don't suppose you have any of these that you can loan us, please? If you do, can you please write to prog (at) anime-la.org and tell them?]

chaz,
I sent an email to programming and yourself with some links of the lyrics for some of the main songs we can sing along to. Let me know if this was recieved. If not, I can bring it in to the meeting, which I can most likely attend.

I have some of the FF OST CDs and music, so I can provide some of the songs. I'll have to double check if I have any background only music.

Cicatrice
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
x3 I'm going!!