PDA

View Full Version : Why is Soul Calibur cosplay so much more popular than Tekken?

jojobiz
10-16-2004, 11:44 PM
is it cuz all the SC characters have weapons and props? or that SC's costumes r far more complex? or just that tekkentag or tekken4 have been dead for a while... :lost:

NeRDBReD
10-16-2004, 11:48 PM

*~Antagonist~*
10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
I think its cause SC is a more popular fighting game, especially over tekken. I guess alot of cosplayers would want to cosplay a character from a game they liked.

Hideki-san
10-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Because swords are more looking powerful than fists. And SC chars outfits are very detailed and fantasy inspired. http://arenagate.hihome.com/smile4.gif

NeRDBReD
10-17-2004, 12:10 AM

jojobiz
10-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Because swords are more looking powerful than fists. And SC chars outfits are very detailed and fantasy inspired. http://arenagate.hihome.com/smile4.gif

that's what i figured as well....although i have to argue that popularity wise tekken was just as big as SC...at least in the fighting game community. but yeah...tekken's outfits r quite boring compared to SC's. i was so super into tekken3 and tag back in the days though, too bad tekken cosplayers r so scarce... :rolleyes:

Saiyan Princess
10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
I'm not sure. I personally perfer Tekken. I grew up with it and have mostly all the games from Tekken 2 to Tekken 4 and can't wait for Tekken 5. I really wanna cosplay as Anna Williams soon.

Solaria
10-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Plus, SC II has only been out for a little while. There is a variety of weapons and the outfits are awesome. That's why my group did it anyway. ^-^

jojobiz
10-17-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm a devoted fan of SC and SC 2... but I'm forever to partial to the Tekken series... I've been playing Tekken since 4th grade, for the love of cheese! Tekken Tag Tournament is my favorite fighting game of all time, and fists will always yield more power greater than that of swords. o(-.-)o

damn..4th grade? was tekken out already? i still remember the 10hit combos that dominated tekken1..haha no skillz required if u knew how to pull of the 10hit. then tekken2 came out with lei and all that crap strategy went out the window. tekken3 and tag is the best of the series hands down. i must've devoted 2-3 yrs to those 2 games...going to local tournaments and driving to LA for the regionals and stuff....then the damn koreans invented electric godfists and wavedashs and crazylegs and i just knew no matter how much i practiced i couldn't compete on that level and eventually quit tekken completely....sigh. tekken4 was a huge disappointment since it was supposed to be the prequal to tekken vs. virtual fighter. :drink:

DigitalCactus
10-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Soul Calibur is more fantasy inspired, as Hideki-San stated. In my opinion, cosplaying something not usualy found in our everyday world (ie: Cervantes de León) versus cosplaying a bunch of regular schmoe's in street gear, that beat each other bare-handed instead of awesome weapons wins out in that poll. If I wanted to do that, I'd go back in time to my high school days. XD HUZZAH!!

EDIT>>> Shouldnt this be in Videogame cosplay chat? Seems fitting to me...

NeRDBReD
10-17-2004, 12:51 AM

jojobiz
10-17-2004, 01:14 AM
speaking of virtual fighter, i have not seen a single cosplay from that series yet...some of jackie's or sarah's outfits r quite nice.

Karisu-sama
10-17-2004, 02:09 AM
We don't even have Soul Calibur yet, though it's been recommended to us. But my whole family loves Tekken Tag and cosplays from it (Lee Chaolan, Lei Wulong, Jun Kazama and Ling Xiaoyu.) My youngest has 2 different Xiaoyu costumes, and we're making another set of alternate costumes for the characters as well (except since I'm already have my favorite Lee costume and I don't want to wear the tux or the shirtless one :p, I'm making a Kunimitsu costume instead.)

Quantum9
10-17-2004, 02:15 AM
If anything, it's probably due to two facts

1. Better costumes. No offense to the Tekken fans out there, but the SC costume design is just that much more well done - I realize Tekken is supposed to be a more modern game, but SC's ancient, historically-infused designs are much more appealing.

2. Popularity. Right now, Soul Calibur is probably second only to Mortal Kombat in fighting games in America. It helps that so many great characters were in the last one, such as the inclusion of Link in the GameCube version (which, by the way, propelled sales of the Cube version FAR over those of the PS2 and XBox).

loner
10-17-2004, 02:43 AM
i plan on cosplaying as bryan fury or hworang one day. i have been a fan since tekken 1 in fact it was my 1st ps1 game i bought before i even had a ps1. well i want to cosplay as jin from tekken 4 with the hoody but they look like a challenge to make. well i plan on doing it by fanime at least.

ACXchan
10-17-2004, 02:51 AM
I cosplay Soul Calibur because according to a char quiz "You are Raphael. Suave, arrogant, and very French." XD And seriously I do enjoy the look of SC better than the look of Tekken. It doesn't make Tekken a bad game, it's just more fun for me to run around in a Soul Calibur design. I bet Tekken cosplayers would be able to pull off staged fights better than SC cosplayers, as cool looking as weapon props may be they do make it a little hard when it comes to combat poses as opposed to barehands.

Ruri
10-17-2004, 03:02 AM
I like Tekken more than SC. But I guess it's because I grew up with tekken.
I think CS has more armours and weapons with their clothes, while Tekken more is more casual and uses fist and charge up

kazamaCEO
10-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Yeah, SC costumes are much more interesting than Tekken; I think most of the costumes in Tekken are too bland and unrecognizable. ;p And I'm a huge Tekken fan, so...

NeRDBReD
10-17-2004, 11:14 AM

Stefan
10-17-2004, 11:49 AM
I hesitate to randomly blurt this out but IMHO the Tekken franchise seemingly "jumped the shark" when Namco resurrected Kazuya Mishima in T4... Or was it when the designers thought it appropiate for Heihachi M. to start wearing a diaper as opposed to a karate gi?

Believe it or not there was a time when folks on the con cosplay circuit couldn't have cared less about SOUL EDGE-inspired outfits in general...

AnimegirlParnaz
10-17-2004, 12:44 PM
I cosplayed as 3p Talim from Soul Calibur 2, I think the reason why a lot poeple cosplay as Soul Calibur chars. is that the game is still new, plus it has nice costume designs.

Michi
10-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Soul Calibur as a game just is more popular and stands out more. I've heard tons about SC and when SC2 came out, but I barely hear big news or raving over Tekken. ^^;

Also, as has been said, the costumes are much more elaborate and appealing. Tekken doesn't have much that stands out. I dunno though, because I've seen other games that are supposed to be modern day and they have a lot more interesting designs. ^^;; No offense to Tekken. I actually have some cosplay plans in the back of my mind for it, because I was a huge Tekken 3 fan when I was about 11 or 12. X3 Played it before Soul Calibur, but the SC costumes I've wanted to do will probably happen much sooner. ^^;

Gothic_Catboy
10-17-2004, 02:14 PM
There are some costumes in the Tekken Series that are quite detailed and amazing. However, as a whole, the Soul Caliber series involves a much richer plot, more diversity in weapon use and style and more intricate costumes. Granted, one can look at the different fighting styles in Tekken and argue that each character is individual in how they attack, but to the casual onlooker, they'll see that the character is just fighting with their fists. On the other hand, looking at a character from SC, they'll draw their conclusions from the type of weapon the character has as well as their outfit.

I think that's why a majority of people consider SC to be a better game to cosplay... more recognition and more respect for their costume.

Michi
10-17-2004, 02:21 PM
I think that's why a majority of people consider SC to be a better game to cosplay... more recognition and more respect for their costume.

I dunno. When I do see Tekken cosplay and it's good, I'm pretty darn impressed. There was a great Jin cosplayer at Anime Expo a couple of years back. Now Soul Calibur is kinda one of those things tons of people are doing. >_> But I've wanted to do the costumes I'm planning for over a year for one and quite a few years for others. :X So I'm still gonna do them. XD

Hideki-san
10-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Ah, Tekken TT is my best Tekken series ever! I like play as a panda(Genma)! And yeah,
Lei Wulong and Ling Xiaoyu is my favorite too \(*0*)/ (Their costume remind me...yeah, y'know, in my eyes v(+_+)z )

kazamaCEO
10-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah, I think the SC team puts more effort into the art part of the game, while Tekken is technically superior (ie, the fighting engine and all that happy stuff). Namco has a nice little balance going on there. ;p

jojobiz
10-17-2004, 07:00 PM
i'd love to cosplay tekken5 hworang one day, check out all those straps on his legs...it'd be so fun. :bigtu:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekken5/viewer.php?gid=t5arc&pid=129

the vest is gonna be a monstrous challenge, even for a professional tailor. u can't tell from this poor screencap but it's got the old satanic goat pic on the back AND a dragon type insignia on the front!

those orange cowboy boots with spurs r not gonna be easy either...or one could just cover a normal pair of western boots with some kind of orange armor... :razz:

NeRDBReD
10-17-2004, 09:14 PM

ACXchan
10-18-2004, 01:29 AM
Believe it or not there was a time when folks on the con cosplay circuit couldn't have cared less about SOUL EDGE outfits in general...

You are SO right on this one. I'm quite partial to Siegfried's design more so than I am of Nightmare's, though I admit it's all about Siegfried with long hair than short hair @D@ 3P Nightmare on SC2 made me happy.

I used to be a Tekken player before converting to the dark side of Namco. Ling and Lee~<3 n.n

Sari
10-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much what everyone else has said, SC is just much more visually appealing. I love Tekken, and I've cosplayed as Nina Williams and Kunimitsu, and NOBODY knew who I was ;_; I think that's partially because fans are getting younger and don't remember those games. I say that because because even though SC is popular, I also cosplayed as Soul Blade Sophitia recently and only a few older fans seemed to recognize my costume.

Eriol
10-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Believe it or not there was a time when folks on the con cosplay circuit couldn't have cared less about SOUL EDGE outfits in general...

When you look at character designs from the PSOne era, designs from both series were limited. The in-game graphics couldn't offer much insight into the design, because of graphical limitation.

Now you look at the DC/PS2/GC/Xbox era, the in-game graphics match much more closely to the designs. The designs can be nearly fully realized in the game. So now, if a design is missing something, you can look in the game itself for more design information.

I think the increased in-game detail helped cosplayers make costumes.

Tekken has a more mature fighting engine than Soul Caliur/Soul Edge since it debuted earlier. As many have stated, the Tekken character designs don't draw from historical or fantasy references, so they do not offer a lot of distinctiveness with the exception of a few characters like Jin Kazama. In addition, Tekken has a darker color palette overall and darker mood, and that may take some energy out of the cosplaying.

Soul Edge/Soul Calibur does draw from historical and fantasy references, which seems to have resulted in Namco producing more complex and elaborate designs. In addition, the color scheme is brighter overall and the game series has an adventurous mood, and that also helps to inspire people.

jojobiz
10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
tekken 5's color palette is the most vibrant of the series and they've got some pretty distinct outfits this time(the new blade-looking black ninja dude and hworang's new getup). i hope i can start seeing more t5 cosplayers once SC2's trend fades.

Eriol
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
tekken 5's color palette is the most vibrant of the series and they've got some pretty distinct outfits this time(the new blade-looking black ninja dude and hworang's new getup). i hope i can start seeing more t5 cosplayers once SC2's trend fades.

Namco tends to alternate between Tekken and Soul Calibur. So, once Tekken 5 is full-swing, Namco will surely be working on Soul Calibur.

Namco is probably learning from the relative popularity that Soul Calibur attracts (even if its fighting engine isn't the most renowned), and are revamping the Tekken outfits.

jojobiz
10-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Namco tends to alternate between Tekken and Soul Calibur. So, once Tekken 5 is full-swing, Namco will surely be working on Soul Calibur.

Namco is probably learning from the relative popularity that Soul Calibur attracts (even if its fighting engine isn't the most renowned), and are revamping the Tekken outfits.

very true, lots of bright oranges and reds and pinks this time in the outfits. though they said tekken5's engine hasn't really changed that much from 4 or ttt, maybe they only added the new characters and revamped the outfits...haha :eeek: