PDA

View Full Version : Naruto and ALL it's glory!....oh, and I need some help...

Prince_Bejita
10-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Okay, it is 7:05 am, I havn't been to bed yet, but I need to post this darn question because it's been bugging me. I am currently (always?) working on a Naruto costume. I don't have any specific character in mind right now and because of this, I am working on generic props many characters can use. In other words, the forehead protector (I can remember jutsu names, but not the equipment! X . X). I've been told by everyone and their mother (and literally my mother) to just use some sheet aluminum. It would be cheap and easy to bend and drill holes in or whatever. But my dilema is this: I want to be able to make the headband as realistic as possible, w/o making it look like complete poop. If you look here (http://images.cosplay.com/list.php?exhibition=88&pass=public&lang=eng) you'll see TyJilDown cosplayed as Kin. Her headband is what I've been wanting mine to look like. Not painted on, not filled in, not drawn on, not tin foil, etc. I know people have done any or all of the above, and they've come out pretty darn good. But I want it to look like hers. Now, it just dawned on me that I could message her and ask her what she did, but I don't want to do what she did (not on purpose anyway). I want to see what other people think, other people who have cosplayed more than the people I've been talking to about it have (which is, for the most part, NONE). I'm assuming she took some decently thick sheet metal, dremeled the music note in, and perhaps rivited it to the cloth. If not rivited, then attached it some other way and added the rivets as extra aesthetics afterwards. Polished it up, blah blah blah. This seems to be the most obvious way, yes? But all of the sheet aluminum I have seen looks like........junk....so I was thinking, oh, some thin steel would be LOVELY. But it's hard as hell to drill through (don't have an accessible drill press on campus) never mind dremmel. And I'm still not sure as to what kind of rivits I could use to attach it to the cloth. I've already picked out some cloth from JoAnne Fabric that is very hearty, but not too rough on the skin, so that aspect is not a problem. So in a nut shell, this is it:
1) What kind of sheet metal would you suggest, what thickness, and where would you think I could get it?
2) How would you affix it to the cloth? Where (if involved) would I find the nessesary clips/rivets/buttons?
3) Why am I awake at 7:15 in the morning? (Hint: GTA: San Andreas)
4) Any random jibberishing about Naruto cosplay paraphanelia?

P.s. I also need help w/ the armored fingerless gloves, sandals, and will be working on a Jounin vest over my upcoming Thanksgiving break. Any suggestions on those topics would also be hugely appreciated.

Thank you everyone for having the patience for reading this huge post X . X

Digital Blush
10-31-2004, 10:36 PM
i made mine using sheet metal. i didnt want to use aluminum, just go to your local craft store and ask for craft sheet metal. it comes in a big piece. dont forget to buy some metal cutting scissors for it. i think you can like use a pencil and draw in the village symbol and carve it in if you want. i just used a permentant marker for mine. as for the 'rivets' i didnt use those. XD i just used hot glue. i put a dot of hot glue and modeled it with my finger before it dried. i'm weird.. i've burnt my finger so many times with a hot glue gun glue.. that i'm used to it. i suggest put a dot of how much you want and wait abit and then model it while its cool. thats a suggestion though i know you probably wont go for that. but if you hot glue the sheet metal for you fabric it looks nice to me. i think drilling a hole and uses rivets might evenually tear the fabric little by little. mine have lasted along while and still are looking good. :D

falcon226
11-07-2004, 03:14 PM
1. I used weird shiny cardboard that looked like metal that I found in a bobblehead box
2. Affixed it with lots of tape. Doesn't work well, trust me. Use silver brads somehow...
3. You're stressed(?)
4. ?

the only vash
11-07-2004, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't even bother making anything like that, it's too hard for me. What I would do is try looking on Ebay. I have seen a few on there that look just like that. Well thats just a thought.

Uchiha Hiro
11-07-2004, 03:43 PM
I've never seen a home-made forehead protector turn out too well, so my advice is to search around e-bay, or several online stores. ALOT of places are carrying multiple villages nowadays.

HighOnMako
11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
But be careful where you order them from. Some dealerships have those CRAPPY head protectors where they take a permanent marker and draw the symbol on it. Horrible. My friend made hers out of soda cans...and it turned out fine.

Erocku
11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
1. METAL - When I made mine I used sheet metal (some real good sheet metal at that) and polished it. I would reccommend aluminum though. When I polished the sheet metal with NEVRDULL (better than mother's IMO) after a few days it got a dirt-like film on parts of the metal (it would polish back out again though). I made a paper template, so that I could hold the template up to my head to make sure it was the right size. I traced the template onto the metal and cut it with some straight tin snips. I then ran the dremel over the edges to take off all of the burrs.

2. SYMBOL - I used a craftsman etching tool to etch the konoha leaf into the metal. However you cannot see the symbol really well unless its in the correct light. I outlined the symbol with a black tdk marker (sharpies looked kind of blue on the metal).

3. BAND - The head band I made out of some blue cloth. I folded the cloth to where the seam would be centered and left an opening in the middle to stuff some thin foam inside so that the rivets wont dig into my head. I cut the foam to be only as long as the metal protector. Taper the ends of the headband off like the following ASCII diagram: <==================>

4. RIVETS - I poked some small holes through the cloth. I drilled the holes in the metal and riveted the metal to the cloth (the rivets had holes through the center, I heard they have studding kits at hobby stores though). After the metal is riveted to the cloth, i inserted the foam into the opening. I had to sew the opening up by hand.

If I still had the headband I'd take some pictures, but like I said, sheet metal sucks, use aluminum. If you take your time and do it right, They end up looking real good, however they now sell them on ebay really cheap and are etched in with a laser or something. Just dont get the one's that have a sticker logo (I believe the "official" naruto ones have the sticker instead of being etched).

As for the sandals, I know there is a template and guide somewhere in these forums. I hope this helps you.

Prince_Bejita
11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
w00t. Thank you all for your advice....BUT.....my roommate won the raffle at our anime club (which I've been told is the biggest college anime club in the country) and guess what he got? The head protector! For me!!!!!!!!!!! I gotta tell you people, I have 2 of the greatest roommates in the world...........well......the one that gave me the headband is.....the other one.........I don't know......I think he looks at 4chan.org too much..... - . -;;

Digital Blush
11-11-2004, 09:00 PM
whats your college? :P i'm glad you won the head protector by the way :D

Prince_Bejita
11-11-2004, 11:10 PM
I go to Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)......it's in upstate NY.