PDA

View Full Version : Howl's Moving Castle

Pages : [1] 2

Hanyaan
11-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Mwahaha...you all KNEW that Cosplay.com's resident Howl's Moving Castle fangirl would be starting a thread about this...

So yeah, who's planning on cosplaying from Howl's Moving Castle?

I"ll be updating this post, seeing as the info was WAY out of date.

Technoir
04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
This is an oooooooold thread, but I found it while searching for other Howl's Moving Castle cosplayers. :3

I'm actually going to be cosplaying Howl at A-kon this June, and a friend of mine shall be cosplaying Young Sophie with me! I'm also trying to see if one of my friends' little brothers will go as Michael. :3 I'll be the version of Howl from the beginning of the film, during the "walking on air" scene -- with blonde hair and the checkered coat.

I'm glad to have found someone else that did Howl cosplay. Your costumes are VERY IMPRESSIVE. *will never live up to you, lol*

jen_kat
04-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Haha, and since I see there's a recent post in this thread, I will also post. ^^

My friend and I are planning to cosplay from HMC for Fanime.
She'll be Howl (black-haired), and I'll be doing Young Sophie (white-haired).
We're also planning to incorporate some elements from the book, but that remains to be determined just how much. XD (If you've read the book, then you'll know about a few details...) And I also plan on making a plushie Calcifer.

I hope that I'll see more HMC cosplayers around! ^o^

Hanyaan
04-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Haha, and since I see there's a recent post in this thread, I will also post. ^^

My friend and I are planning to cosplay from HMC for Fanime.
She'll be Howl (black-haired), and I'll be doing Young Sophie (white-haired).
We're also planning to incorporate some elements from the book, but that remains to be determined just how much. XD (If you've read the book, then you'll know about a few details...) And I also plan on making a plushie Calcifer.

I hope that I'll see more HMC cosplayers around! ^o^

HMC cosplay = WIN. And yes, I've read the book. 54 times, in fact. (I have NO LIFE, I swear...)

Yay for Calcifer! ^_^ I bought an official Calcifer off eBay, and when I was at Wondercon I borrowed Hitori's official Calcifer, so you can see pics of that in my gallery. Clumpy fake fur actually worked really well...that's what the official ones are made of, anyway.

Duncan
05-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Sewing Howl's coat as I type this. ;3

Technoir
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
*cries* You're going as Howl? WOW, I can't wait to see photos! T____T;; You were the best Count (from Gankutsuou) ever! <3

youjik33
05-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I actually thought about how awesome it would be to cosplay as Howl the whole time I was watching the movie, but I'm afraid my hair could never be as pretty as his.

(P.S. The book is better ^_~)

Seed-chan
06-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I just saw the movie in theatres yesterday. ^_^ It was AWESOME. Howl is gorgeous.

My friends and I (Ochika and kels) want to cosplay different version of Howl. I wanna do either the green "King's" uniform (though I don't know if it's a pullover or an actually button up jacket in the front, there's no opening o.o;; ) or his younger self ("I eat stars for no reason!").

Gnome!Markl is awesome too XD;;

Eurobeat King
06-11-2005, 01:11 PM
HanyaanFairy: After seeing Howl's Moving Castle the other night (free preview of the dubbed-version which was actually quite good) NOW i realize who you were cosplaying back at AOD in March when you wore it. I hope I took pictures, but if not perhaps next time. :) And I like your costume and after seeing the movie I look forward to seeing your Howl costume and other HMC cosplayers this year. :)

Duncan: Ooooo.. Can't wait to see your version at AX (hopefully!)

Soooo many different versions of the characters are available to cosplay at cons: For Howl, you can do his casual attire with the coat or just the shirt, and you can have his hair either blonde, black, or even orange (hehe) Or you can cosplay him when he's pretending to be the King in his uniform, or the younger version of Howl we see in a flashback. For Sophie, you can do her younger version with black hair, or white hair with the pigtail or w/o when she has short hair. Cosplaying her when she's 90-years old might be a little difficult.. hehe :thumbsup: And as for Howl when he's in bird/demon form, wellll.. I know someone will eventually cosplay that.. it's just a matter of when.. ;)

Hanyaan
06-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Eurobeat King: Bird/demon Howl HAS been done already. Hitori and I did Howl cosplay at Wondercon in February, and I was younger Howl and triangle-coat Howl, but she did Bird Howl. (I worship her for that.)

I counted, and there are eight different outfits Howl goes through, and that's if you count blonde-haired bird and black-haired bird as the same costume.

Incidentally, I just wanted to point something out: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=236323 You already got pics of Howl's Moving Castle cosplay, back in 2004. But yeah, for a while at least I'll be having LOTS of Howl cosplay, so that's cool that you'll be able to recognize it! (Two down, six to go, and I'll definitely finish at least two more by the end of the summer!)

Eurobeat King
06-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Eurobeat King: Bird/demon Howl HAS been done already. Hitori and I did Howl cosplay at Wondercon in February, and I was younger Howl and triangle-coat Howl, but she did Bird Howl. (I worship her for that.)

I counted, and there are eight different outfits Howl goes through, and that's if you count blonde-haired bird and black-haired bird as the same costume.

Incidentally, I just wanted to point something out: http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=236323 You already got pics of Howl's Moving Castle cosplay, back in 2004. But yeah, for a while at least I'll be having LOTS of Howl cosplay, so that's cool that you'll be able to recognize it! (Two down, six to go, and I'll definitely finish at least two more by the end of the summer!)

HanyaanF: I remember taking that picture of you back at AnimeDestiny 2004, but I don't remember which character you were cosplaying as.. hehe (I guess it was still early in the morning for me after setting up my swap-meet table..) I didn't attend Wondercon 2005 cos I was at Katsucon that weekend, so I missed you girls and my other friends who went to WC2005. :( But I'll check out the pics to see what I missed. :)

Aer
06-11-2005, 01:49 PM
I saw the movie last night...it was wonderful <33

I'd really really love to do half transformation Howl someday...I've got too much to finish for Otakon already though >_>

I look forward to seeing all of your outfits though ^_^

Jaina Solo
06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
OMFG. I just saw Howl's Moving Castle last night!!! God, Miyazaki just makes one great movie after another. I'm TOTALLY going to do Howl (blond-haired) now, maybe for AniMagic! God, though, I would have a TON of respect for anyone who does the feathered version of him. Wow. So good.

Altara
06-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I saw it last night also. I am sooo in for the bird cosplay. ^^
Even though Howl is a bit of a crybaby, his heart is in the right place. Y'know...the dog may also be a future cosplay consideration.

Duncan
06-11-2005, 07:44 PM
You know, I just had an awful thought.

Since Disney is distributing Howl's Moving Castle, and technically AX is within Disneyland territory....is this going to be Kingdom Hearts all over again? Will I have to get a special badge?!

Sarcasm-hime
06-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Howl = TEH HOTNESS. He is so hot that I am actually tempted to crossplay. And I *never* crossplay because I am totally unconvincing as a guy. *lol*

I look forward to seeing people's costumes! The only one I'm kind of tempted by is the bird version, because it would be an interesting challenge, but I'll probably never get around to it. :P

Seed-chan
06-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Howl = TEH HOTNESS. AGREED~! XD (It's amusing because I have at least three people on MSN that mention Howl [and his hotness! or <3], and then four entries on my lj friends list that say how sexy/hot he is XD)

I got bored today so I started making a giant beard for old man Markl. Out of yarn. ^^;

I was wondering if anyone knows where to get good ref pics from the movie? I can't seem to find any (and it's kinda hard starting a costume without reference... ignoring that beard)

Ah, haven't been this excited about cosplaying a character in ages. (Yay for Howl and Markl~)

Sarcasm-hime
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
The only place I've seen decent screenshots is on the Howl LJ (moving_castle IIRC).

Eurobeat King
06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
You know, I just had an awful thought.

Since Disney is distributing Howl's Moving Castle, and technically AX is within Disneyland territory....is this going to be Kingdom Hearts all over again? Will I have to get a special badge?!

I know they made a commotion over that back at AX2003, but I'm not sure if there were any problems last year. I don't recall any problems with any KH cosplayers (or anyone cosplaying Chirio, Haku, or No-Face from "Spirited Away") last year. But you raise a good point about HMC cosplay this year at AX.. hmmm..

Duncan
06-11-2005, 10:04 PM
That's true, Al. Yet since it's especially close to the release date...I wouldn't put it past em.

Hitori
06-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm so happy to see so many people interested in Howl cosplay!
As of now, I have done the Howl bird form (can be seen in my gallery), 90 year old Sophie (has not been worn, prostetics take so long to put on -_-), and "Happy ending" Howl (also not worn yet)

Hanyaan
06-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey, guys, now that there's an OMGACTIVE THREAD FOR HOWL (I may just die, I'm so excited), does anybody have any hints or links on how to make quilting points line up properly? I have most of the quilting done for the front of the diamond coat but enough fabric and time to try again, and none of my points are perfectly lined up; they're all slightly off. Nobody I know well does quilting (except someone who I won't be able to see in time to finish the coat), and I just can't possibly have a bad Howl coat. That would just lose.

Hitori
06-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Hanyaan Faery - Aaah, I wish I knew how to put it into words~ I learned to sew by quilting. Maybe I can show you?

eta- Mmmkay, thinking how I can use words instead of showing.. my only hint I can think of is pin EVERYTHING thouroughly before sewing.

Eurobeat King
06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
That's true, Al. Yet since it's especially close to the release date...I wouldn't put it past em.

I checked with Lionel and he said there should be NO problem with people walking around & cosplaying characters from HMC. :) I wonder if there are other people who are (secretly) planning to do HMC cosplay this year at AX or Otakon.. :angel2:

Hitori: Your bird/demon Howl looks great! :D Again, I wish I was at Wondercon this year to take pics of you two. Perhaps you'll wear it again sometime (like at JTAF or AnimeDestiny) along with HYF. I forgot.. what does "Happy Ending" Howl wear at the end?

Has anyone seen any Sophie cosplayers yet? I'd like to see pics if there are.

Hitori
06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Hitori: Your bird/demon Howl looks great! :D Again, I wish I was at Wondercon this year to take pics of you two. Perhaps you'll wear it again sometime (like at JTAF or AnimeDestiny) along with HYF. I forgot.. what does "Happy Ending" Howl wear at the end?

Has anyone seen any Sophie cosplayers yet? I'd like to see pics if there are.

When is Anime Destiny? I need to wear Birdy Howl at a local con, because of the wings. And preferably a mostly outdoor con, because I'm allergic to the feathers!

The ending outfit is black hair, pinkish shirt, white pants and shoes, and a blue brooch. He wears it for.. maybe 5 seconds in that ending sequence. As the ending song comes on.

As for Sophie, I'm hoping to photo shoot my 90 yr. old Sophie soon~! I don't know that I'd want to wear the fat suit + prostetics at a con. It could be troublesome.
And there is a really cute Sophie cosplayer here on the galleries, if you do a search for Howl.

usagi_lee
06-13-2005, 09:14 PM
I know a lot of u are past it (i guess) but i cant waite to see it lol.

I am not going to cosplay Howl's moving castle but I am cosplaying chihiro from Spirted Away. :heart:

Eurobeat King
06-15-2005, 12:14 AM
When is Anime Destiny? I need to wear Birdy Howl at a local con, because of the wings. And preferably a mostly outdoor con, because I'm allergic to the feathers!

The ending outfit is black hair, pinkish shirt, white pants and shoes, and a blue brooch. He wears it for.. maybe 5 seconds in that ending sequence. As the ending song comes on.

As for Sophie, I'm hoping to photo shoot my 90 yr. old Sophie soon~! I don't know that I'd want to wear the fat suit + prostetics at a con. It could be troublesome.
And there is a really cute Sophie cosplayer here on the galleries, if you do a search for Howl.

Anime Destiny should be back at the UCBerkeley Campus again this year, and I think the con-chair told me they plan to have it on Saturday, November 5th. That's the date they're shooting for, so we'll wait until the summer ends before the Fall arrives. I saw HMC again and looked for Howl's ending outfit.. hehe pink looks cute, but I don't think you'll see too many people cosplaying THAT version of him, since his white-shirt attire is more recognizable. :)

Hitori
06-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Ne, I bought the fabric for my Howl Ingary uniform and was about to start on it when I thought, I could use my wings again! But I'm not sure, so then, opinion? Them black wings sprouting out of my Ingary jacket? Would that be too... spoiler? Or would it be pointless unless I do the claws ect as well?

Forgot- I got Anime Destiny confused w/ Tales of Anime, thus I have not been to it before, what sort of setup is that con? I'd love an excuse to wear Birdy Howl again, but I really need to be in open areas (preferably outside) in that outfit or I'll break out and get all red and well, that's not very Howl like now is it?

phantomthief
06-15-2005, 05:18 PM
Jumping on the bandwagon! Er... castle... Does that work?

And Hanyaan-san, quilting is a pain ;.; I'm working on the same coat for the wide release... WHY HOWL!? WHY!? Stupid diamonds XD
Ooo... 2 days to go... *runs off to work on it*

*runs back* Erm, what did you use for the jewelry??? (Pendant, earrings, and ring?)

~Ari-chan

phantomthief
06-17-2005, 01:33 PM
XD I was up all night, but Howl is 75% complete. This is SO getting remade... >.<

Picture in gallery...

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I know this might be a bit late, phantomthief...

My jewelry is half official and half...not. My necklace is official, and I managed to get an official red ring yesterday. My blue ring used to be my class ring, and now it's a random ring I found in a boutique for cheap that matched my old red ring exactly. My earrings are homemade from some teardrop pendants, sharpie and nailpolish to make them green, some wire, and some earring hooks. I need to get official ones or better earrings or something, though, because they fail so bad at looking good.

eugenides
06-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Woah!

Where do you get the official jewlery?

And does anyone have any good pics of the checkered jacket?

I just saw this movie like, six hours ago and loved it. I've been waiting for like, four years to finally see this movie.

"What's the point in living if I can't be beautiful?" ^_^

liddo-chan
06-18-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm thinking of cosplaying young-ish Sophie, post haircut. But this will have to wait until after AX, as it'll be the same wig I use for Feel the Magic cosplay, and will need a-snippin' and a-stylin!

Duncan: Looked at your gallery, and I can't wait to see your Howl. Is your brother the King of all Cosmos, by any chance going to be at AX? ;) I am still looking for a father to my prince.

Hanyaan Faery: ooh, I want an official ring!

Hanyaan
06-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Official jewelry is a bitch to locate. I managed to get the necklace MONTHS ago by ordering it from Japan, and I got the ring off ebay. Hooboy, that ring is weeeeeeird! It's double-ended. There's a gem both on the top and the bottom. ^^;; And annoyingly, I only have one ring...does anybody know how you can duplicate a ring? (Resin casting maybe?)

Eugenides: These are craptacular pics, I assure you, because the camera was dead, but here's some craptacular pictures of the diamond coat figurine.
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl3.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl4.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl5.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl6.jpg

Pictures of my necklace and ring coming tomorrow. And having just seen the movie in theaters with a note to finding small details, I must say that those earrings are flipping weird too (can Howl have anything NORMAL?!) and I'll be attempting to either find the official ones or get my hands on some gemstones and make my own non-ghetto earrings.

phantomthief
06-19-2005, 08:34 PM
It STILL hasn't come out where I live ;.; *DARN YOU GEORGIA!!!*

But the costume is basically finished... I just need the jewelry and a new shirt XD Oh... and a little sleeve work... More pictures Though ^.^

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=374737
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=374739
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=374738

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-19-2005, 08:49 PM
That looks good so far! ^_^ What kind of trim did you use? It looks so neat and nice...better than my triangle coat trim by FAR.

I'm going to be compiling a page on Howl's various costumes (similar to the FMA Military Uniform page that Eleryth made). Is there anything anybody would like to see?

Sarcasm-hime
06-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Yes, you can make a resin duplicate of a ring by making a rubber mold. It would be fiddly, though, and would require a fair bit of cleanup post-casting.

majokai
06-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Any idea where you can get the official jewellery now?

Hanyaan
06-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Occasionally some official jewelry will pop up on eBay; alternatively, you can use a shopping service to bid on Yahoo Japan auctions where pieces will occasionally pop up, or you can try and use a shopping service to order a new piece from Japan. My original non-shopping service source went out of stock in February, and I'm pretty sure that it's limited edition, since they haven't been able to stock more. ^^;; I'm working on figuring out how to recreate the official jewelry without having access to the originals; it'll probably involve resin, especially for the necklace, but I think it could be done.

phantomthief
06-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I used shiny gold bias tape XD Very shiny... :D

And I'd love to see a Howl tutorial page of prettiness!!! How to make that coat stick to your shoulders -.-; I may attempt to actually sew that thing onto my shirt ^.^;

If you figure something on the jewelry, be sure to let me know XD

~Ari-chan

Technoir
06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey guys. :D I FINALLY got pictures of my Howl cosplay uploaded to the gallery. Just to let you know, since I posted here about it quite some time ago.

http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=19116&userid=17980

But I'm still super MAD about wearing it to A-kon. Not a single soul recognised who I was! And now everyone is making Howl cosplays! ^^; Kinda disappointing, but oh well. I'm excited to see that the fandom is finally picking up! Any other Texas-area Howl Cosplayers?

And, aside from HanyaanFaery's adorable Michael costume, has anyone cosplayed anyone aside from Howl? :O Or plan to? I think my next project is to cosplay Sophie to even out all of the Howls!

Hanyaan
06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Far Cry - Oh my goodness, you look ridiculously Howly! That looks so awesome, and rest assured that had I been at A-Kon, I would have molested your costume and asked if I could give you a big hug for cosplaying Howl. ^_^ And be PROUD to be one of the early HMC cosplayers! We are the few, the proud, the rather crazy, and our pimping efforts for an awesome movie have hopefully inspired at least one person to say "Hey! I should go and see that!"

And for everybody, I went pattern-combing for patterns that could easily be modified for various Howl's Moving Castle outfits. Here's some of my results.

McCall's M4862 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4862.htm) - VERY easily modifyable for Howl's first shirt and Howl's end-of-movie outfit shirt.
McCall's M3669 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M3669.htm) - With some modification to the sleeve and back, this could be very good for Sophie.
McCall's M8701 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M8701.htm) - The Abraham Lincoln pattern included here would be perfect for Turniphead or Prince Justin.
McCall's M9423 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M9423.htm) - Another pattern that could be modified easily for Sophie.
McCall's M4745 (http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4745.htm) - With some modifications, could work for Ingary soldier uniforms, or Howl's King disguise costume.
Simplicity It's So Easy 4921 (http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4921) - This is one of my favorite cosplay base patterns for anything; with the darts removed and the sides made boxier and the collar modified, this could be very good for the diamond or triangle coats.
Simplicity 5456 (http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=5456) - This is an easy pattern that, with some modification, works very well for Markl's or Young Howl's vest.
Simplicity 9886 (http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=9886) - Pajama pants/shorts that would work very well for Markl.
Simplicity 4551 (http://www.simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4551) - Could be easily modified for Fanny (Sophie's mother).
Butterick B4418 (http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4418) - Top, could be modified for Lettie or any other Cesari's worker (spelled Chezary's in the movie).
Butterick B4091 (http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4091) - If made in all white, it could work for a blouse for Markl or Young Howl.

I'll go pattern-combing again for more character pieces later, I think. Incidentally, for anybody who also loves the Cesari's bakery outfits, I think you'd have better luck finding patterns in any of the volumes of Gosu Rori (aka Goth Loli), which is a Japanese pattern book for Gothic and Lolita with multiple volumes out. I found about five patterns in one of my Goth Lolis that could work for HMC, especially the Cesari's outfits. Sadly, the pattern sizes on there are kinda crazy small, but it could be helpful.

Incidentally, does anybody have any advice for trying to make a Heen plushie? I fail at plush toys.

Silvana_Girl
06-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Hey! Saw the movie yesterday! And I fell SO in love with it! I'm trying to decide, Sophie, Howl, young Howl... Maybe all three?

But for cosplay reference, where can I get REALLY good (or even half way decent would be okay) pictures, scans or screens? I've looked but can't find many!

Hanyaan
06-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Silvana_Girl - In about a month, Viz will have the artbook with character design scans released, IN ENGLISH. I can't wait for that. In the meantime, you have a few choices. You can go and search the unmemoried archives of the movingcastle LiveJournal community for screenshots (blargh), you can find somebody with a copy of the Japanese DVD (or some naughty naughty person who has a camcordered Japanese screening as an AVI) and have them take screencaps, you can go through trailers over and over again until you find something you like, you can buy random Japanese merchandise that would have reference (like the figurines, although I warn you the colors are off on the figurines and there's a few jewelry inconsistencies on the Howl figurines), you can order some Japanese books that would have pictures in them (artbooks and film comics), or you can go see the movie again and sneak in a sketchpad and pencil and take sketches and notes on all the costumes.

Silvana_Girl
06-21-2005, 10:17 PM
An artbook!? YAY! Thank god, I'll be needing it for all those little details... I think I'm leaning toward a Howl cosplay, with black hair maybe, and a Sophie, hers will be a lot easier. Now that I'm out of school I'll have a lot of cosplay time. I'm traveling to Japan in 16 days, do you think I'll be able to snatch up some Howl merch. there?

Maybe I'll get someone to take me to see it again, the nearest theater playing it is about 50 minutes to an hour away! ::sadness::

Technoir
06-22-2005, 12:55 AM
HanyaanFaery - Considering how long I've been pimping the BOOK -- years before the movie came out -- I'm kinda sad that I don't have to pimp so much anymore. XD; But oh, well! I'll continue doing it ANYWAY!

For screencaps, the user ugoku_shiro at LJ has taken something like 700 screencaps. Just go to her journal and she has links up for you to download them -- she updates them weekly. They're not the BEST, but they serve their purpose quite well.

phantomthief
06-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Yeah, I raided my local theatres... within 50 miles... None of them even have a CHANCE of playing it... ;.; The closest is about 5 hours away... I'm just going to have to wait until it comes out on DVD :waaaah:

MEANIES!!!

In the mean time, I'll just have to buy the jewelry, get a better shirt, wig, and put trim on the sleeves... But yes, MORE HOWL LOVE!!!

I'd like to say I'm within the first 10-15 or so US Howl'sMC cosplays??? (Hayaan's probably the first XD)

~Ari-chan

novaraven1
06-22-2005, 04:13 PM
I am currently working on a howel pink diamond coat. hand quilting satin is tough. But it's not turning out too bad since I'm making my own pattern for it. Getting the diamonds to register properly is the big challenge, especially the purple one at the top of the shoulder, seems to want to be more to one side than the middle. I'll post pics when I get it done! :)

If anyone wants the earrings I can make them with clip ons. I am currently searching for a better supplier for the blue teardrop pendant. The one I have is more diamond drop shape. Blue is a hard color to find in 1.5" crystal.

I had to fudge on the chain and do something thats only remotely close to the official one. Can't find that stuff anywhere here. My chain doesn't have the beads between the segments it has small links of chain, but it's pretty close. Not like you ever get to see what his actual necklace looks like in the movie. I've been searching screen caps for weeks!

Little help tho?The ring I'm just making outa fimo. Anyone got any good pics of the ring? I didn't know he had two stones in it, all the pics I can find seem to only have one at the top, but then they're top views.

thanx anyways!

phantomthief
06-22-2005, 06:00 PM
The quilting is horrible XD I was originally pinning each diamond together and then sewed the thing once it was all together, but after about an hour of pinning, I just said 'screw it' and sewed the together directly XD Oddly enough, it worked better that way... But NOT RECCOMENDED!!! I sewed one on in the wrong direction... That was pretty funny :D

As for earrings... I still need to get a pair T.T But my ears are pierced O.o

~Ari-chan

Jaina Solo
06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Omg, HanyaanFaery. You are my new best friend with all those links to possible pattern pieces!!! AUGH!

I can't wait to get started on my Howl costume, though I am a bit late in the race, so to speak (even though HMC has been out less than a month XD). Howl's are popping up EVERYWHERE! That's alright though, because I forsee my Howl costume being one of my favorites and would probably be happy to wear it for years (the comfort factor ALONE makes it wonderful). Too bad I can't start on it until after ComiCon. ;_; It'll definitely be an AniMagic (and YaoiCon XD) costume. I'm so happy there's a thread about HMC! Too bad I'm so late it joining it! XD

HanyaanFaery--when I read your post a couple of pages back regarding your troubles with getting the diamonds to line up, I laughed my ass off. How Howl is that to worry about whether the diamonds on your jacket are even? LOL.

Hanyaan
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Jaina - Hey, no prob with the pattern links. I'm still scrounging through smaller pattern companies to see if there's anything else good. I'm also working on a wig guide and a guide to all the Howl costumes that I can. Why? Because I am on summer vacation and have nothing to do with my time for a few days. And oh yeah, I love HMC soooooo much.

Regarding the worrying about my diamonds being even, that wasn't me trying to be Howly. I'm like that all the time. ^^;;

But anyway, yes, Howl is a VERY comfortable costume! (Well, the main three outfits anyway.) I looove the floofy white shirt. It is the most comfortable thing in the entire universe. The only thing that's annoying is keeping that coat on. That's not fun.

Phantomthief: You guessed it, I am the first HMC cosplayer in America. ^^;; I cosplayed Markl before the movie was released in Japan. And you can be assured that NOBODY recognized me, and thus I was saddened that I had willingly wore such awful colors and looked so unashamedly awful in public without people recognizing what I was doing. ^^;;

phantomthief
06-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Awww... As freakishly wrong as those colors look, your Markl is SO CUTE. >.<

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Phantomthief: It IS cute. I also look like a little shota boy in it, and that is somewhat disturbing, combined with the horrible colors. (I also made it on prerelease images so there are some serious inaccuracies...erk.)

Incidentally, in a few days, the preliminary versions of my Howl cosplay information page will be up at my spiffy new domain name. In the meantime, I present to you all...photographs of the official necklace and ring. Warning, these are rather huge file sizes, but I didn't want to scale the pics down or compress them very much, because then you wouldn't be able to see some of the details. Oh, and also, you get to see my hand up-close and personal. I couldn't figure out how to get some ring angles without me wearing the ring, sorry!

Necklace
The necklace, with a CD for size comparison (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010036.jpg)
Another shot of the necklace, that shows the 3-D shape some more (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010037.jpg)
The chain of doooom! It's really weird. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010038.jpg)

Ring
Ring, with CD for size comparison (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010039.jpg) (yeah, it's freakin' tiny.)
Top of ring (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010040.jpg)
Bottom of ring (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010041.jpg)
Ring from side (thumb side of hand) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010042.jpg)
Ring from side (facing fingers) (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/hanyaan/howljewelry/P1010043.jpg)

Silvana_Girl
06-22-2005, 07:18 PM
By any chance HanyaanFaery, are those the official jewlery pieces? I was wondering if those are something I could possibly find in Japan. (I'm using this student ambassador trip for all the anime benefits, forget education!)

Hitori
06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Silvina Girl ~ When I was in Japan in December, Howl stuff was EVERYWHERE. But things there are very "in the moment" whatever's hot RIGHT THEN will be around, and if it's not (even if it was hot as close as last month) it's really hard to find. But have heart, I notced Ghibli things had staying power.

Hanyaan
06-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Silvana - Yep, those are official jewelry pieces. However, I have no idea if you can get them in Japan. I got the necklace months ago off J-List (it was the last one they had in stock, and they haven't ever restocked it). I can say also that I have a discontinued version ring that I had to go hunting down on auction sites, and I'm so lucky it popped up on eBay for an affordable price.

I think that all the versions of jewelry were limited edition...however, I have seen the jewelry pop up a whole bunch on Yahoo! Japan, so if you know a shopping service, they might be able to get it for you. You can also haunt eBay until official jewelry appears. Of course, the ring sizing is always weird. The newer, pricier rings (not my version) come in a very small size and a very large size. Even the more "medium-sized" discontinued version is a US size 6. So if your fingers aren't around US ring size 5, 6, or 11, you may have to make your own ring.

Jaina Solo
06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Hmmm... What's the chances we'll find any of that stuff statesite (that ring is SO cool)? Maybe if I look around some Anime Stores, or Japan Town/Little Tokyo?

EDIT: HanyaanFaery just answered my question. XD

Seed-chan
06-22-2005, 10:56 PM
I cosplayed Markl before the movie was released in Japan. And you can be assured that NOBODY recognized me, and thus I was saddened that I had willingly wore such awful colors and looked so unashamedly awful in public without people recognizing what I was doing. ^^;;
I know they're terrible, but i love the obnoxiously bright lime green that he wears! (And I bought some when I went fabric shopping on Monday. It was on the table, I saw it, my eyes went wide, and I just couldn't help myself. Hanyaan-san, you are definitely inspiring.)

I wanna blind people at cons! *runs away*

Hanyaan
06-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Blinding people with the Clashy Color Scheme of Doom is really fun, Seed-chan! The only problem I had with it was that nobody recognized it. Enjoy the comfyness and blinding colors!

novaraven1
06-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Thank-you for the ring pics!! I can make that!! I really really can. But I remember it looking different in the movie somehow....like with a line across it to join to the small cross shape piece almost like it latched closed...I thought Sophies ring had the flower design and Howls was more of a cross shape? Anyways this is so much easier!

If only I had an extra 135$ lying around I could make that in sterling silver instead of fimo... I'd have to send my wax model away to have it cast because sadly I do not own my own forge. *pout* You'd think taking jewllery design would teach you something useful like how to build your own crucible pit... ah well... maybe thats what they teach us next year!

I can make the earrings with hypoalergenic gold fish hook clasps or kidney shaped locking clasps if anyone wants them. They're not as perfect as the official ones from Japan, but they're as close as I can make them without actually going out and buying those tiny claw settings, soddering them into place on the earring stud, fitting a crystal into them and charging you like 300$ a pair for all the work and materials.

My current version of the earrings is just an earring clasp with a red crystal bead dangling from it and a bright green teardrop bead hanging from that. If anyones interested I'll post pics.

If I find a better source for the blue teardrop pendant I will be able to supply necklaces too. I'm still looking for those myself and none of my usual wholesalers have anything like it.

Thanx again for all the help!

phantomthief
06-23-2005, 03:13 PM
After some not-so-gentle coaxing by Howl-rabid friends, The Pink coat of Death is being worn to Anime Weekend Atlanta XI. Bwaha. BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Waaaait... Now I need to get/make an accurate shirt... T.T XD

And now I have a strange urge to make his 'psycho chicken' version >.<

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Phantomthief - Don't worry about the accurate shirt! FLOOFY SHIRTS OF DOOOM ARE YOUR FRIEND! Just make sure to NOT get it dirty. Because, you know, that would suck. (And it's white, so it's harder than you'd think to keep it spotlessly shining.)

I, too, want to make the "psycho chicken," but that'll have to wait until a) I'm a bit thinner, b) I can afford it, and c) I can do it as well as Hitori. It would be a fun costume...like OMGFEATHERS. (Is it sad that I'm cosplaying something on my "upcoming list" just to get practice with making gigantic black-feather wings?)

Hitori
06-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I second not worrying about the floofy white shirt. When I made HanyaanFaery's I'd never dont anything with a yoke like that before. To get ideas I checked out old style nightgowns (and come to think of it, I should have bought that pattern. *perfect* for Sohpie's nightgown).

As for Chicken Howl, my own is in serious need of a remake -_-

phantomthief
06-23-2005, 06:10 PM
HITORI-SAN! You are my psycho chicken inspiration!!! Hanyaan, you are my "everything else Howl"-type inspiration!!! *glomps to all* XD

*runs off*

~Ari-chan

novaraven1
06-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Ok, I got pics of my jewellery up. Bear in mind that I am still looking for better more acurate stuff on the necklace (just need to get my lazy butt down to the city to the right suppliers) but I feel I have the earrings nailed and I will be trying my fimo ring this weekend. I'll let you all know the results! If anyone wants earrings, just message me and I'll work out a good price.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/novaraven/11618.html

Duncan
06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Speaking of earrings...
http://www.realitygauge.com/howlear.jpg

They're green. They just have a pearl cast to them so sometimes they reflect crazy colors here and there. ;3

Jaina Solo
06-23-2005, 11:52 PM
Holy crap, both of those earrings are awesome. I like the pearlecant coloring on yours, Duncan.

Chicken Howl? LMFAO.

Hanyaan
06-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm still having trouble with my own earrings, and my ring casting is slightly scaring me...apparently, this is one thing where if I kinda fudge a bit it WON'T work. Luckily I didn't ruin the ring, so that's good.

Incidentally, to be on topic, has anybody thought of silly photos to be taken in HMC costumes? I swear, I've been going random places and thinking "It'd be funny to have a photo with _____ here!!" and I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

novaraven1
06-25-2005, 12:13 AM
I think a castle would be nice for a photoshoot. I know of one I can go to but they don't like people taking pics much.

Hey, what about the zoo? Somehow I can't get the image of Howl doing his wide eyed excited look and dragging Sophie around going "Sophie look at this!" Every five seconds like a little kid.

Hanyaan
06-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Gah, I'd love to have photos taken at a castle! Sadly, I'm in California, which isn't the place for castles. *cry* And I doubt I'll be taking another trip like the one I took five years ago anytime soon. (That was when my parents took me all over England and Wales to look at castles and ruins and historical stuff. OMG, I almost died from the awesome.) And even if I did end up going to Europe again, I doubt I'd be crazy enough to cosplay at a castle as a tourist... that would, I think, outdo my aunt who took a shopping trip to Venice.

I think the best I can do for "appropriate settings" is taking a drive up to the forest in the Sierras, or waiting until spring again for rolling green hills with extra special tall grass action. Well, that or sneaking down to Rite Aid to take photos in the hair dye section.

Erm, has anybody else thought that, with 4th of July coming up, IF it's legal in your area, there could be some serious opportunities to score fireworks? Because I can think of so many uses for fireworks for HMC cosplay. (If only I could get my hands on a few sparklers and sneak up to the Open Space area half a mile away at nighttime in my Young Howl outfit...)

Hilary
06-25-2005, 12:26 AM
Okay.
Ashitaka was hot.
Haku was hotter (even though he's a boy X_X)
Howl is sex on wheels.

I finally saw Howl's Moving Castle tonight with my mom XD. I hope she didn't notice that I was drooling all over myself most of the time. Miyazaki always makes his characters very sensual- he emphasizes every gesture until it's beautiful, be it cracking an egg or sweeping back feathers. He really went all out in this one and I swear that he had fanservice in mind, since everything I've ever wanted a Miyazaki character to do happened. I mean there was a >kiss<!
In other words, this has gone to the top of my cosplay list. I just have to decide what to do. Is anyone planning a group yet?

phantomthief
06-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Ashitaka was hot.
Haku was hotter (even though he's a boy X_X)
Howl is sex on wheels.

O.O Erm...

Is anyone planning a group yet?

Anime Weekend Atlanta ^.^ I'm Howl, we have a Sophie, Mr. Scarecrow XD, and possibly a Markl (Who's 6 years old :heart: )

As for good photo shoots, next time I dye my hair a weird color, I'll stick on the Howl for a few pics :D Or since my hair is bright orange right now, I could do a "Red-haired bath-towel Howl" photoshoot. XD I've got the staircase and everything...

But next time I go to the beach, I'll try to get some pics by the lighthouses :) That's one of the only things that's good about living in Coastal Georgia... Pretty lighthouses and big beaches :p

~Ari-chan

Silvana_Girl
06-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Hmmm, I'll see what I can dig up while I'm in Japan, I leave in 2 weeks and am praying that Howl is still 'on the in' with those damn Japanese... HA! Well, anyway, I am bringing an extra suitcase for all my souveniers. But let's quote my mom:

'Lindsay, Don't you DARE bring back all anime S***!'

OMIGEE! She doesn't dare... But her + Calcifer = Love, I'm sure if I find a few Calcifer plushies she'll be just fine... Miyazaki is just about all the anime she can handle...

Technoir
06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Incidentally, to be on topic, has anybody thought of silly photos to be taken in HMC costumes? I swear, I've been going random places and thinking "It'd be funny to have a photo with _____ here!!" and I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

You're definitely not the only one. e.e; I have a handful of fun Howl photos I'm dying to take, if I can convince my mother to play photographer for just a bit, when she's not busy. Namely a certain towel scene, pre-slime, since I'm not that brave nor crafty. XD;

(PS, for other Howl cosplayers who want to try the towel scene, there's a fun crossplay technique the gives you a male chest -- if you haven't already seen it. Useful for open-shirted characters and etc. http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709 )

Hanyaan
06-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Far Cry - I'm going to do the slime!!!! Once it gets hot enough, the outdoor kitchen mockup is assembled, and I have enough money to buy my slimeity stuff, I'll be sliming it up, and maybe even sulking in bed afterwards. (My room works oddly well for that, actually, since my decorating scheme has always been OMGSTUFF with a side of omgflowers.) I just need to do what I said, and oh yeah, I need to work up the courage to actually cover myself in slimey gross stuff!!! Gah, I hate being goopy. I hate it with a passion, oh yes I do. (At least I'll look appropriately miserable...)

I'm also sad that I'm not nearly skinny enough to be doing this without blinding people. But ah well, what's cosplay except making yourself look like a fucking idiot? YEY COSPLAY!!111one!1

I'm so glad that HMC cosplay has taken off.

Oh, and incidentally, for once I'm going to do a stupid bragging thing. I went to a thrift store that was going out of business so everything was $1, and I found slightly heeled brown loafers with silver buckles, in my size. And for a dollar. Bwahahaha.

Technoir
06-26-2005, 01:09 AM
*dies* Omg slime, lol!! How exactly are you going to make the slime? o_O I wouldn't mind doing it myself, I just don't know how to make anything without sending the kitchen up in flames. Perhaps you could make "HMC Cosplay Help Part 3: Ooey Gooey"? XD; I'd fangirl even more.

I had thought about doing a pitiful bedroom scene also. XD; Mostly to finally take advantage of my bigass antique wooden bed.

And pff, I really wouldn't worry about being skinny enough. *points at the Chopper picture, omgwtfbbq?*

EDIT: I keep forgetting to ask. What state does everyone live in? I'd love to do a Howl group, but I can't go to any out-of-state conventions, so I'm wondering if anyone is nearby. (I'm in Texas, yeehawz0rs.)

Hanyaan
06-26-2005, 01:19 AM
I was thinking about cooking up slime, and then I realized I was going about that the PROPER way. So then I realized that there were plenty of products in the bathroom that can be used for slime, provided you get them in great enough quantities. Hair gel, ointment, aloe...all of those things, if green, would be slimetastic.

I think, however, that I'll post the sliming info after I do the shoot. I want to make sure it works. And I want to figure out whether spray on hair dye will be dissolved with slime, requiring either the sliming of a wig or actual dying of hair. But, since Slime is the ULTIMATE VERSION OF TOTAL AWESOME, I'd totally share the info once I got it to work.

Hee, Howl's room is so cool, I think. I totally love it! And really, the decorations in there...it's so much more likely that a girl would have that, because seriously, flowers everywhere, lots of stuff on the walls, and tassels? (Then again, it also belongs to the guy who has roses painted on his toilet seat.) I think I may have to raid the library and my bookshelves and the books in the garage, though, if I try and use my own room for a sulking-in-bed shoot. It just wouldn't look right without lots of old books scattered on the bookcases, and apart from the shelf full of antique perfume bottles, the bookcase you'd see near my bed is full of stuff that wouldn't look nearly right, like my Diana Wynne Jones paperback collection. Argh.

Jaina Solo
06-26-2005, 02:01 PM
OMG Slimeness... That's AWESOME! Totally can't wait to take pictures!!! Though, I bet that wouldn't exactly be functional at a Con. XD I can see it now--cosplayers left and right slipping around in ooze you left behind you. How are you going to put the ooze into your wig? O.o He has black hair at that point, and I would be fearful of touching my wig with anything but wg detangler...

I never thought I'd actually say this, but I wish AX would hurry up and be over so I can get to work on my Howl costume! XD

phantomthief
06-26-2005, 02:34 PM
OMG Sliiiiiime XD Gotta see that once it's done :D I'd pay to see a slimed up Howl >.< That's going to be nasty...

Far Cry: Georgia over here ^.^;

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-26-2005, 02:52 PM
OMG Sliiiiiime XD Gotta see that once it's done :D I'd pay to see a slimed up Howl >.< That's going to be nasty...

Of course it's going to be nasty! ^_^ That's why I'm telling everybody that I'm going to do it; that way I won't back out~ :bigtu:

Later today I'm going to have to buy more fabric for my diamond coat, because while working on another costume, I didn't notice that one of my quilted panels had gotten in between the cutting board and my scissors until I had accidentally cut it in half. @_@ So now that it's been thouroughly Sophied, I need to find different fabric, especially since one of the fabrics I used is out of stock at every local fabric store. Oh noes! :waaaah: So, advice, since I have a few hours until I'll be able to leave my house. Is it worth it to use silk?

EDIT: And I live in sunny California, which isn't always that sunny if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area like me. It's one of the only places I've ever been where you get 90 degree afternoons, and fog in the mornings, in the summer. It does, however, have a nice supply of rolling green hills in the spring, and other nice places to photoshoot.

phantomthief
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Silk O.O It does seem Howl esq. XD

If you can get a decent price, go for it! :D If it's more than $25 a yard... Look for coupons! :D

~Ari-chan

Jaina Solo
06-26-2005, 04:17 PM
I didn't notice that one of my quilted panels had gotten in between the cutting board and my scissors until I had accidentally cut it in half.
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. -.-;;

phantomthief
06-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me. -.-;;

I did that to about 3 of my diamonds XD I about cried.

~Ari-chan

Silvana_Girl
06-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I should start on my jacket too. Silk seems like a good way to go, light weight, depending on the kind. after I return from my trip, its time to ship my sewing machine out to montana, I can work on it while I stay with my dad! ah, nice mountain scenery and sewing, how good can it get?

eugenides
06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Eugenides: These are craptacular pics, I assure you, because the camera was dead, but here's some craptacular pictures of the diamond coat figurine.
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl3.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl4.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl5.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/hanyaan/howlmodels/howl6.jpg

OMGod thank you; I'd just spent all afternoon looking. *hugs*

I made the earring, and it looks awesome ^_^ But I only made one since, as he only had one in the book, I only got one pierced. So...*shrug*

Edit: I'm loving the slime idea.

Has anyone else done the original from-the-book blue suit with silver stars? :D
http://geocities.com/fabricalchemy , under "howl tunic".

Tess
06-27-2005, 01:05 AM
I've yet to see the movie, but I just finished re-reading the book this morning [I'm a huge DWJ fan and had read it years ago, but sadly couldn't recall much about it] and now I'm absolutely dying to see the film. ^^; Unfortunately, a roadtrip to the nearest cinema playing it would require a sufficient amount of money, and I'd rather put that money into my Otakon wig fun. So who knows when I'll actually get to see it... *sniffle*

But anyway, I've really enjoyed looking through everyone's gorgeous costumes! ^__^ I'll probably attempt a Howl at some point in the future, just for kicks, but [like Eugenides mentioned] I'd really rather design my own outfit based on the book -- I'd probably do the scarlet/grey suit -- as I'm, er, less than fond of the designs from the movie. Howl's finery is so much more elaborate in the book, I find it a shame that it was dumbed down somewhat. [He's still gorgeous, though. o^__^o]

Anyway, um, yus. That was me rambling. *sweatdrop*

@-->--- Tess

Hanyaan
06-27-2005, 01:34 AM
Tess - I don't know about the other thread people (I suspect they feel the same), but I don't mind hearing from book fans, not at all! The book is what made me happy about the movie! And yeah, I'm sad too that Howl's outfits aren't crazier. Miyazaki put all the crazy into the jewelry, and didn't give us cosplayers NEARLY enough opportunities to break out Ye Olde Embroidery Floss! (And what a pity, too, because I've been looking for years for a costume I would love enough to do full embroidery on, and Howl's my fave character of all time!) I do think that you'd be really good as Miyazaki's fantabulously dorktastic Howl, though; from what I see in your gallery, the hairstyle would look really good with your face shape.

Sarcasm-hime
06-27-2005, 03:22 AM
I just finished reading the book, and was amused to find that Howl didn't come across nearly as OMGHOT as in the movie, as in the book we're seeing him from Sophie's perspective and she's really not impressed by his swanning around. *lol* Whereas in the movie you just see him show up and DAMN he's pretty. hehe.

I wish Sophie had more interesting outfits, as I'm short and girly and have long brown hair. :P

Shinigami_Mimi
06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
I just watched the movie last night and fell in love with it. X3 It's truly a great movie, and now I'm like obsessed with it. XD Lol. I also plan on doing a Howl Cosplay hopefully with someone else who's doing Howl to that I know this yr. XD Lol. Thing is everyone does his wizard outfit in the beginning though. O.o; Mostly a ton of cosplayers in Japan only did that outfit, I noticed. No one even cares to do this ending outfit? Or the normal wear? Or even the disguise one? x.x Well, either way everyone good luckies on your Howl outfits! XD Lol.

Technoir
06-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Sarcasm-Hime - I agree with you on that. In the book, they just tell you that he's supposed to be handsome, but after that they focus more on his annoying personality than on his looks. XD; That's one of the things that bothered me about the movie -- he was a lot, A LOT nicer in the movie because you didn't see as much of him bothering girls and just generally being a 'tard. But he was sure pretty! XD;

Shinigami_Mimi - I've already started working on his Ingary (sp?) uniform, if that's the disguise outfit you're referring to! And I hope to make a costume of Kabu/TurnipHead the scarecrow sometime before OniCon and Halloween. I know I'm not the only one that plans to make various other cosplays from the movie either! :D I think most people make the quilted outfit from the first time he appears just because it's very dynamic looking, definitely one of his more striking outfits from the movie.

Shinigami_Mimi
06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Far Cry: Yayies! ^-^ Good to hear and I wish you luckies on it! Yeah, I think that is the outfit I was talking about. XD Lol. The green military looking one of the King's. ^^; Turniphead! XD Lol. How cute. X3 Because I wanted to see the other outfits done, since I was getting bored of seeing the same one over and over. ^^;;;; Lol. But you do have a point. It's a certain thing that draws ppl to that outfit. XD Lol.

Seed-chan
06-27-2005, 10:22 PM
I'll be making the green uniform sometime... eventually... coz I have this thing with green costumes XD;; (sometime next year?)

First i need to find those tight things for my Markl costume o.o;;

Hanyaan
06-28-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't know why more people don't do other costumes. Yeah, I did one blonde version and am working on another, but I actually made Markl months before the blonde Howl, and I finished my Child Howl before my Triangle Coat. I think, though, that the reason I'm most inclined to wear the blonde outfits is that hey, I don't need a wig! Sweet!

I like Howl in the book more, I must say, because he's just so much more believable. He almost seems perfect in the anime, and that's not at all the reason that I love Howl so much. I love the character because he's flawed and has lots of problems. That's one of the reasons I first became a major fan of the author (which lead me to Howl), actually; because Diana Wynne Jones always creates protagonists who are flawed in some way.

Tess
06-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Tess - I don't know about the other thread people (I suspect they feel the same), but I don't mind hearing from book fans, not at all! The book is what made me happy about the movie! And yeah, I'm sad too that Howl's outfits aren't crazier. Miyazaki put all the crazy into the jewelry, and didn't give us cosplayers NEARLY enough opportunities to break out Ye Olde Embroidery Floss! (And what a pity, too, because I've been looking for years for a costume I would love enough to do full embroidery on, and Howl's my fave character of all time!) I do think that you'd be really good as Miyazaki's fantabulously dorktastic Howl, though; from what I see in your gallery, the hairstyle would look really good with your face shape.
Awww, thanks! ^__^ Your Markl just about kills me everytime -- the CUTENESS! *higgle* I've decided to shell out the money and take a roadtrip to see Howl on Thursday, and couldn't be more excited! Have this distinct feeling that I'll be melting in my seat the entire time, LOL.

I was just looking through doujinshi scans and found one particular variation on Howl that I'd LOVE to tackle. It's more like how I imagined his grey/blue robes [in the book] -- very classical, sweeping, flouncy, and fitted. I'm going to attach it, just for the heck of it. ^__^ It's such a lovely design for him. [I'd also love to do a black version of the outfit, with the black hair, for the funeral. I just love Howl with black hair.]

@-->--- Tess

Hanyaan
06-28-2005, 04:16 AM
oh, my, GOD. That is the most gorgeous doujin Howl I've ever seen. (Somehow the only Howl doujinshi I've managed to get my hands on involve Markl x Howl, Pervy Sophie, Catboy Howl in furry undies, and/or naughty things involving the Witch of the Waste's blob people. I'm not sure whether I'm very lucky or very unlucky.)

I'm sorry, this post here is pointless. I've just been reduced to OMGshock over gorgeous clothes. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous clothes. Heeeeeeeee.....

phantomthief
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I finally found the book to purchase last night XD Top shelf of the back of the storage room... Horrible treatment I say!!! Incidentally, I also managed to finish the book the same night :D

Yes, it was awesome... XD The slime had me rolling on the floor, as did much of the rest of the book XD I love it >.< Though, I am kinda sad to hear they took out the Drunk Howl ^.^;

I swear I AM eventually going to do all of Howl's costumes... ^.^ Bwaha. BWAHAHAHA!!!

~Ari-chan

novaraven1
06-28-2005, 04:32 PM
For anyone who wants to see I finally got my ring done. Unfortunately the camera I have is not good with close ups. But I think you get the idea.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/novaraven/

Anyone else trying to make this thing? I'm definitely going to go out and look for a copy of the book now. Must see the drunk Howl! :)

Hitori
06-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Your ring looks awesome, that's clay?

phantomthief
06-28-2005, 06:05 PM
"He walked into the wall several times more, in several different places, before he discovered his bedroom door and crashed through it. Sophie could hear him falling about, saying that his bed was dodging."

XD It one of my favorite parts :D

And your ring looks awesome O.O Though I prefer the smoother stone, the fauceted one looks great! How did you get the flowers like that?

~Ari-chan

novaraven1
06-28-2005, 07:46 PM
LOL, I am going to run out and order that book right now!! Howl reminds me more and more of Pegasus from Yugi-oh... (no you don't wanna know why I like that character)

And the ring was made with metallic silver fimo. I just hand sculpted the flowers with dental tools (and a kitchen knife my mom doesn't know I stole) then I stuck them on the ring band, wrapped it around a tube made of tinfoil the same diameter as my finger so it wouldn't warp when I baked it, and that was it. I glued the stones in after I baked the ring. The hardest part of the ring was making that tiny rope boarder for the gems. it took me nearly four tries before I got one thin enough and twistey enough and I am really dissapointed I can't show better deatil in my pics.

phantomthief
06-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Whoa... Friggin' awesome >.< Fimo even.

Another thing... Blue and silver are my favorite colors, and it just so happens that Howl's first costume in the book is a blue and silver "triangle" coat with really long sleeves...

fantastical blue-and-silver costume. ... sleeves trailed longer than anyone else in the square, all scalloped edges and silver insets

But having no pictures... I need to come up with something from scratch. I thought I'd style it similar to Howl's movie costumes just for a slight chance of recognition XD I need some help with designing it...

1. I thought I'd make it like the red/black diamond movie suit except cutting the diamonds in half and making them blue and silver XD Any other suggestions?
2. The sleeves are blue with scalloped edges and... something... embroidered in silver along the edge. What should the embroidery be? What SHAPE should the sleeves be? Kikyo sleeves???
3. Light blue or dark blue? -.-;
4. Red satin lining or another color?
5. Gold trim??? Or not?
6. What flower scent? Rose? Lily? Sunflower? (^.^; Yup... trying to smell in character)
7. Guitar or no? :D
8. Any other suggestions?

Need... Input!! T.T

~Ari-chan
~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-29-2005, 02:58 PM

Another thing... Blue and silver are my favorite colors, and it just so happens that Howl's first costume in the book is a blue and silver "triangle" coat with really long sleeves...

But having no pictures... I need to come up with something from scratch. I thought I'd style it similar to Howl's movie costumes just for a slight chance of recognition XD I need some help with designing it...

1. I thought I'd make it like the red/black diamond movie suit except cutting the diamonds in half and making them blue and silver XD Any other suggestions?
2. The sleeves are blue with scalloped edges and... something... embroidered in silver along the edge. What should the embroidery be? What SHAPE should the sleeves be? Kikyo sleeves???
3. Light blue or dark blue? -.-;
4. Red satin lining or another color?
5. Gold trim??? Or not?
6. What flower scent? Rose? Lily? Sunflower? (^.^; Yup... trying to smell in character)
7. Guitar or no? :D
8. Any other suggestions?

Need... Input!! T.T

~Ari-chan
~Ari-chan
Blue and silver LOVE. I've been thinking about doing that too...

1. Feel free to make this thing as crazy as you want. It's HOWL. You can be beyond crazy.
2. Pick up an embroidery book and see what shapes look about right and aren't that difficult to embroider. Embroidery DOES take practice, but it's not impossible. As for sleeve patterns, I would stay away from "Kikyo sleeves," since those are more an Asian thing, in favor of a European trailing sleeve of the sort more common on medieval court clothes (there are actually records of sleeves being so long on court clothing that they had to be tied into knots to avoid dragging on the floor!). So rather than making kimono sleeves, look at some of the medieval patterns for inspiration. It's also easy to turn any sleeve into a gigantic trailing sleeve if you're modifying a pattern; if you need help with that, just ask. (I had to do that for my boyfriend's Eriol costume with its gigantic sleeves of doom (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=372135).)
3. Since the book never says what shade of blue it is, find a shade of blue that suits you. Based on your avatar, I'd say a dark but not navy blue would be about right for you, but I'm not totally trained at stuff like that.
4. Red satin lining would be good, but I'd wait until you know more about what the thing is going to look like and have chosen the other fabrics to choose a lining fabric that totally looks zomgAMAZING with the other stuff. ^^;;
5. I'd stay away from gold trim, just because silver and gold fabrics don't look quite right together.
6. Heee, perfume! I do that all the time for my movie costumes. I use undiluted essential oil of tea rose, but that's because rose is one of my best floral scents. Thing about florals is that even the exact same perfume will smell different on everybody. I'd recommend finding a scent that reacts well with your own skin chemistry and has as few chemicals as possible (to minimize allergy risk). New Age or Wiccan supply stores tend to have gorgeous essential oils, as do some health food stores.
7. GUITAR. :heart: :heart: :heart: You may want to consider making a prop guitar and going crazy painting it and stuff; it's not like you'll actually have to be able to play it, after all. (The worse it sounds, the better!) There are multiple editions of the book that have illustrations showing Howl with a guitar, and the general consensus is that it's electric. It also seems to be shown as bright blue, sometimes. Feel free to make it tacky if you make one; the point is to LOOK COOL.
8. I was looking through the book to see what DWJ's original Howl wore fabric-wise in hopes that it would help me with my movie Howls, and apparently he likes expensive satin and velvet. And lace. I'll keep a few other comments regarding the annoyingness of trailing sleeves alllll to myself. :thumbsup:

Rose of Malice
06-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I would love to cosplay as Howl (from the beginning of the movie with long blond hair and diamond patterned jacket. Short blond hair and black hair aren't the best) for Anime North 2007, but I don't know how that will turn out.

phantomthief
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
BWAHA! RoM! SPREAD THE HOWL WUV!
Howl: Wuv? Surely you mean 'love'.
Me: No, It's "Wuv" with an earth "W"

For the trailing sleeves... How long should I make em... *evil grin of doom*
I'm making it out of the most expensive looking satin I can find XD (Hurrah for 60% off coupons! ^.^; ) I think I've got a pretty good hold on the color scheme and I think the lining would be best red or... possibly a red/pink? I'll post some swatches once I buy said fabric =^.^=

I love scent shopping!!! :D I'm going to raid a couple stores ;)

Currently, I have a black electric guitar at the ready... But I think making a uber-tacky version sounds fun :D I saw the cover with the guitar XD Craziest thing EVAR. *looks for that Mana guitar tutorial*

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
06-29-2005, 06:22 PM
YEY. Uber-tacky AAAAND Uber-Expensive is win.

For the sleeves...well, don't make them long enough that they drag on the floor, otherwise you'll go crazy trying to not let yourself get dirty. (I had a Halloween costume once that had trailing sleeves almost as long as I was tall, and it wasn't very fun at all!) Other than that, the longer the better; they should be long enough that if you kneel down, you could tie them in a knot behind your neck and still be able to move around. (That description also makes me inclined to think that they're totally belled, rather than belled only from the elbow down.)

Oddly enough, I actually HAVE a copy of that edition; it's just the current British paperback. It also has small illustrations for each chapter, and the cover is shiny and vaguely sparkly in places.

EDIT: If you find a Mana guitar tutorial, could you link me to it? I'm thinking I may need that URL to link to for my site, and I'd like to ask the owner of the tutorial for linkage.

phantomthief
06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Oooooh... SHINY COVER!!! :love:

I shall have to test the tie-ableness!!! And as a passing note... I LOVE ginormous sleeves :heart: This is going to be too much fun :p

Here's Mana linkage! It's not a true tutorial, you have to piece together what she did, but hers turned out awesome :D

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=37389&highlight=Mana+fiberglass+guitar

~Ari-chan

damagedgarden
06-30-2005, 11:05 AM
For anyone who wants to see I finally got my ring done. Unfortunately the camera I have is not good with close ups. But I think you get the idea.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/novaraven/

Anyone else trying to make this thing? I'm definitely going to go out and look for a copy of the book now. Must see the drunk Howl! :)

WOW! Your ring came out looking so good! Did you paint that Fimo or is that the actual color of the clay? And I can't believe you made those tiny flowers so detailed. I am racking my brain at the moment trying to figure out how to make the flowers look like that. Can you give me any pointers?

novaraven1
06-30-2005, 06:10 PM
WOW! Your ring came out looking so good! Did you paint that Fimo or is that the actual color of the clay? And I can't believe you made those tiny flowers so detailed. I am racking my brain at the moment trying to figure out how to make the flowers look like that. Can you give me any pointers?

That is the actual color of the clay but it was something I bought through my art school in the fabrication department. You might not be able to find it in regular stores. Silver aluminum spray paint will give you the same if not a better finish. To make the fimo flowers first I took the gem I was using, rolled a little ball of fimo the same size at the gem, and then squished the ball flat. that is how i make sure it's going to be the right size. Then I cut an X in it from each corner with a knife but left the very middle still attached. Thats how I got even petals. I then rounded the petals a little more with the knife. I took one of my dental tools (you can use the end of a pen lid instead) and made indents in each petal, deeper towards the center, so that the edges of the petals look raised. Then to finish the flower I added the tiny round little ball in the middle and stuck it on my ring band.

I hope that helps you. Working with fimo can be difficult because it will stretch and get messed up if you smush it around too much. You need to learn to use a very gentle touch and apply pressure with thin tools in places you need things to stick.

phantomthief
06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
O.O Hmmm... Now I have to find a way to make the crosses on Howl's ring >.<

~Ari-chan

adakie
07-01-2005, 02:41 AM
I spotted this thread and didn't see a post from Evenstar1 on it, so I'll just say it for both of us. We have a (pretty much) complete Howl's cosplay group. We were at a theater in Atlanta promo-ing the movie a while back. I made a Heen plushie for it that has squeaky toys inside so it squeak/wheezes when you hug it. ^^ I've been considering making more of these to sell over the net, do you guys think I should or not? (fairly small market and all)

kiwi
07-02-2005, 12:54 AM
(nevermind ^^; )

novaraven1
07-04-2005, 02:47 PM
well my howl and sophie costumes are kinda done now. (some pics up )We took them out this weekend for a picnic.

I need to wire howls collar better and get his pendant right. And harispray his wig cause there was a lot more breeze that day than I thought there was and he looke dlike a very messy wizard most of the day.

My sophie wig bugged me, had to put it on in the train station. I swear it'll look better if I put it on at home next time!

But anyways, I got them almost done! Yay! Only a few minor things still bug me, including the fact that I can't find a copy of the novel anywhere around! urgh. but I'm not giving up yet!

phantomthief
07-04-2005, 04:34 PM
AH!!! I love it :D So SHINY O.O I think the Howl wig looked just fine ^.^ It's more natural if it blows around a bit I think

~Ari-chan

Tess
07-05-2005, 01:46 AM
novaraven1, they look beautiful! ^__^ I really like the scenery you chose, too. It's a very, very lovely set of photos! *glomps your Howl*

I've almost decided to do a book!Howl cosplay for Anime USA. Almost. I really shouldn't, because I'll have all of my Otakon costumes to re-wear, but I really, really want an excuse to make Howl, hee.

@-->--- Tess

Technoir
07-05-2005, 05:09 AM
Hey guys. :3 I thought I'd drop by the topic for some more cosplaying stuff, this time a bit of Cosplay On A Shoestring. Not everyone has the time or the funding to make the most ornate accessories, or to buy the official ones. So, poking around at stores nearby, I found some fun alternatives or starting points for you folks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/nekozukii/necklace.jpg

Found this at Walmart for $5 and put it on a chain I had laying around! Now, granted, the pendant does have a silver setting. But I'm fairly sure that you can get a silver paint marker of some kind and paint over it with no problem. Or even get some gold clay and sculpt over it! Add a little red jewel and this would make a decent substitute for Howl's necklace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/nekozukii/earrings.jpg

And these I found at Target for about $4! The paint is wearing off from being packed around but, once again, paint markers for the win. Switch out that tiny blue bead for a red one, and voila, Howl's earrings!

Haven't found anything in the way of a ring yet, but hey. :3 The stuff above may not win any AWARDS, but it will at least look very nice in photos, which is what counts, ne?

phantomthief
07-05-2005, 07:10 PM
O.o I LOVE the pendant!!! >.<

I have to run off to WalMart now!!! I'm in a slight bind for the pendant right now, but I think that's about as perfect as pre-made unofficial stuff gets!!! :D I have some extra gold leafing lying around here somewhere...

~Ari-chan

Jaina Solo
07-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow, those are great finds! I'm totally going to make a run to Wal Mart and Target now. I'm impressed you could find those at those kind of stores, because you can barely find anything of that sort at crafts stores like Michael's!

Hanyaan
07-06-2005, 02:59 PM
You found those earrings at Target?! I want a pair! (My earrings are so shameful...they're not really green. They're colored with lime green sharpie and sealed with clear nail polish!)

Does anybody know who the Bird Howl in the AX Masquerade was? It was so frikkin awesome!!!!!

Technoir
07-06-2005, 05:55 PM
Isn't it amazing how you can find cosplay stuff at the most unexpected places? XDD I know I kept raiding Michaels to try and make the necklace and earrings, very unsuccessfully. I'd pretty much resigned to that fact that I'd have to make the stuff out of clay before I found the earrings and pendant. :3

HanyaanFaery - The earrings were green, but the paint scraped off very quickly with wear. You could probably seal them with fingernail polish when you buy them, though! :D

Also, I thought I'd share a brief funny thing. Last Saturday, I went to see HMC at the theatre and dressed up (of course). After the movie, a bunch of cosplayers came over and one asked if he could try on my wig. So I pulled off the blonde wig, revealing black hair underneath, and he declared, "OH MY GOD. YOU ARE HOWL." XD;

phantomthief
07-06-2005, 06:00 PM
Does anybody know who the Bird Howl in the AX Masquerade was? It was so frikkin awesome!!!!!

I didn't go so I've only seen pics but... IT'S SO PRETTY!!! >.< In a... psycho-chicken kinda way ^.^;

~Ari-chan

Jaina Solo
07-06-2005, 06:06 PM
You found those earrings at Target?! I want a pair! (My earrings are so shameful...they're not really green. They're colored with lime green sharpie and sealed with clear nail polish!)

#1, yer earrings frikkin' ROCKED.

#2, yes, that was a freaking badass chicken Howl, and you know what? S/he was just a NOVICE! Bah! That's disgusting! People with that much talent need to SHARE. XD

crazymiko
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
:love: That is an awe-inspiring amount of feathers. I'm at a loss as to how they do the body. Can you glue them straight to the fabric like on wings? *baffles* I have no such faith in glue. How many pounds of feathers is that anyway? *calculating like crazy* (Hee, I want a birdy Howl costume)

Joining in on the Howl madness. Fell in love when it finally made it to Knoxvegas last friday (late much?). Currently have the diamond coat "in production" and finishing up a floofy shirt. I'm also in the middle of acquiring materials for the necklace and earrings. ^^ I'll be sure to post pictures once things come together.

A nod to the wonderful HanyaanFaery whose cosplay suggestions are making this process so much faster. I'm wig color impaired so the color suggestion was most welcomed.

LousyItachi
07-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Any advice for someone who just needs the jacket, but has absolutely ZERO sewing ability? :(

Edit: Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm looking to do either the diamond pattern jacket or the triangle jacket. The real issue is making/finding the right shaped jacket to sew the patterns onto.

Hanyaan
07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Itachi - OMGHOHOPAPA. ^^;;

Apart from that, I think you could actually get away with piecemealing the triangle jacket out of some other jackets and some purple appliqué and some bias tape trim. I've seen it done really really well.

At any case, even with the lining, the triangle coat is relatively easy, and is one of the few cosplay pieces that I'd recommend as a good first sewing piece. And sewing is fun!

EDIT
Crazymiko - Yay! I'm so glad my stuff has been helping. I can't wait to see how your costume turns out! Spread the Howl LOVE, yo!

HowlnoNyanko
07-07-2005, 11:28 AM
Hello! Yesh, I'm new...nice to meet y'all :)

I have a cheap ring! <-should I be happy about that? Hmm...but I really like it (though it's a bit too big :( ) It's one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67727&item=5011399491&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo

Granted, it doesn't look exactly like Howl's ...the flowers are missing, but then again in some scenes in the movie, the flowers aren't drawn anyway? And you have to admit it's WAY cheap :)

Edit: It looks better IRL, btw. It's more of a shiney pretty silver (not a grey silver like in the picture, and the cabochon garnet glows really pretty when it hits the light).

LousyItachi
07-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Itachi - OMGHOHOPAPA. ^^;;

Um... thank you? :confused:

Apart from that, I think you could actually get away with piecemealing the triangle jacket out of some other jackets and some purple appliqué and some bias tape trim. I've seen it done really really well.

At any case, even with the lining, the triangle coat is relatively easy, and is one of the few cosplay pieces that I'd recommend as a good first sewing piece. And sewing is fun!

Hmm, sounds interesting. But I mean, I raaaally have no sewing skills. Like, not even a sewing machine.

My mother used to be somewhat of a seamstress, but she'd laugh in my face if I asked her to make a cosplay item for me. Parents! What are they good for?! :(

By the way, how long do you think it would take to finish the coat? Any way I could have it done before Otakon?

Dr.Emmett Brown
07-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Ok so I've gotten most of my howl costume together but I really have no idea where to get a wig that looks like howl's hair. All the others I see are way off.....any advice? :o
- Doc Brown

Hanyaan
07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Itachi - Heh. The OMGHOHOPAPA was a comment that you'll be cosplaying Hohenheim, one of my favorite characters from FMA. And regarding the jacket...well, Hitori and I did my coat in a day, but it required lots of 3AM nodoz crazed sewing, and I doubt I'd try that again. ^^;;

Doc Brown - http://store.cosplay.com/product.php?productid=16302&cat=299&page=1 this wig in 24B for blonde or 1B for black. Or, if you want to style it completely from scratch, http://store.cosplay.com/product.php?productid=16284&cat=300&page=1 this wig straightened and cut, in LG26 for blonde or 1B for black. I use the first wig in 1B for my Child Howl, and while mine isn't restyled to look like Howl's hair as much as it is restyled to look like my hair (which is cut like Howl's) but black, it's still a good idea of what it looks like.

Dr.Emmett Brown
07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
HanyaanFaery - Thanks for the advice. I actually had looked at the cosplay.com wig store before, but I didnt take enough time to notice that you could order the wigs in different colors as well as I didnt think of trimming them...stupid me. Oh well, thanks for the help.
- Doc Brown

damagedgarden
07-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Hello everyone. I just have a few things I'd like to address. First, thank you so much to novaraven for your suggestions on making the ring. It came out very well thanks to your advice.

Also, I have a question. I am going to be cosplaying young Sophie with long white hair for Otakon this year. Although I am having a bit of trouble deciding on a wig. I have been looking at the ones sold at the cosplay.com wig shop but don't know which style would be best. The one I really like does not come in white. Can anyone help me decide? Also, I am having not sure what pattern to use. I am somewhat new to sewing and am concerned with having to alter a pattern too much. I was thinking about using Simplicity pattern 5041. What pattern have any of you used, and is this a good choice?

Sorry to be a pain. Thank you!

HowlnoNyanko
07-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Good morning, DamagedGarden,

I'm a beginning sewer. Until now, I just did those "sewn-shut-rectangles-with-elastic-gathering" type costumes. I was able to finish Butterick Pattern B3836 (I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet? At least I couldn't find that number in a search.). The link for it is:
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B3836=x&TI=10013&page=6

What you can't see from the link is that the shirt is a curved yoke exactly like Sophie's. It also has the mandarin collar. You need to make a notch in it, or just turn it around. That's the only modification. The shirt took me only 2 nights (and I SUCK at sewing). Then I made a "rectangle-gathered-dress" for the skirt.

Here is a picture of what it came out like...sorry it's so bad, I didn't know that my camera was broken at the time, and I don't know how to Photoshop it better. Erm...I don't know how to attach a picture. I'll figure out how to upload it to my gallery in a sec. Sorry.

There was a Sophie Wig post under Wigs and here is a link to another wig idea post (it's the same one that's in this thread somewhere...):

http://www.livejournal.com/community/howl_fans/7763.html#cutid1

I hope that helps :)

Hanyaan
07-09-2005, 04:09 PM
HowlnoNyanko - OMG. That's really useful. Mind if I take your recommendations for my web site? (I"m working on a Howl's Moving Castle cosplay reference site, and your review of that pattern would be really useful.)

And to those people with the spiffy Target earrings: My Target is like...stupid beyond belief or something. It has NOTHING like those earrings. Are they online or anything? ^^;;

Technoir
07-09-2005, 05:27 PM
As far as I know, they don't have an online store, and I wish I could remember the brand they were. >_o I'll head out and raid the two Targets near me and see if they still have the earrings. If they do, I can just ship them to you (for free, since they're so cheap anyway), or at least tell you the brand and style so you can search online.

Dia
07-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Quick question! Does anyone have any screencaps of the little blonde page boys from the palace scenes? I want to make the outfit, but I can't find any good reference material!

Bah, I wish I could make a Howl costume, but I am SO not suited for it. Oh well, I cut Duncan's wig, so I guess that's kind of like cosplaying Howl...? *laughs*

Hitori
07-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Dia ~ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/praedestinatio/Howl/scan0049.jpg
Scanned from the artbook, don't mind the wonky colours^.^;;

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Dia - ANYBODY can cosplay Howl, I think. As long as you can pull off the Attitude™, nobody will notice if you're vastly unsuited. (I'm a rather girly girl and I'm only 5'2" and nobody's stopped me yet!) And your stuff is so gorgeous, it'd be really awesome to see you try. If you felt like it. But OMG PAGEBOY. If you're at a con I'm at, I so want to see a pageboy!!!!! They just win.

Technoir
07-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Back with ANOTHER jewelry post! This time someone mentioned at the Moving Castle community that Cosfest in Singapore is selling official Howl's Moving Castle jewelry for ultra cheap. (If it's not official, it damn sure looks like it!)

http://www.sgcosplayclub.org/CosfestCosplayShop.htm

Currency Coversion, since the prices are in Singapore dollars~
Necklace: $24
Earrings: $15
Ring: $12

So for about $50 plus shipping, you've got a high quality set of all of Howl's jewelry. XD; It was so awesome, I couldn't help but share it with you guys! I just e-mailed to see if they ship overseas, but I'm sure they do. If all else fails, I have a ton of friends in Singapore that I can abu-- politely ask to grab them for us.

Dia - I have to agree with HanyaanFaery. You really don't have to fit any character you're cosplaying, so long as you simply ACT like you fit! :3 It really is all about the 'tude. I say go for it no matter what!

LousyItachi
07-10-2005, 02:58 AM
Are those earrings clip-on or normal?

Me no wantie pierced ears. >_<

novaraven1
07-10-2005, 12:34 PM
OK, I put pics of the original Howl jewlery up at my photobucket.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b51/novaraven2/?sc=1

Password is still raven. No I do not remember the site I got the pics from. It was japanese and none of the font would work on my computer so I was clicking randomly.

Those SIngapore ones are definitely recreations and not the originals. I can tell you just from looking at the pics. And the earrings they have are clip ons. They are also using very small faceted green crystal drops instead of the larger smooth almost translucent jade that Howel seems to wear. His earrings are actually 2/3 the length of his pendant.

The rings from singapore seem really wonkey and definitely made of something very much like the fimo I used.

But I might go for the necklace just to get the chain since it does not exist here in NA and I can not even seem to find the right spacer bars at my suppliers to make it by hand.

The crystal for the pendant they are using is faceted, the original official pendant is not. Basically they're doing the same thing I am: buying colored glass swarvoski crystal drops from a chandelier or lighting fixture supply store for 1.50$ each and wiring them onto the necklace with a red spacer crystal bead. The official necklace actually has the crystal in a tiny gold claw setting that is attached to the top of the blue glass pendant. It is not supposed to be a bead but that is the easiest alternative for cosplayers who have to fake it like those nice people in Singapore. I don't need their Howl stuff but those chii ears have me very interested.

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 01:30 PM
I have to agree with Novaraven. Those are not official jewelry. I have the necklace and one of the other version official rings, and even if it was the discontinued ring version like mine, the rings aren't official. And yeah, there's no faceting on the blue gem. It doesn't attach with a claw, though. The blue gem on the necklace is cast out of glass, and there's a tiny little thing drilled and glued into the top.

Thing is, their earrings (the Singapore ones) are slightly more accurate, with the way they fasten. ^^;;

Technoir
07-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's why I posted the link. They at least look good, even if they aren't absolutely flawlessly perfect. I'm sure getting them, even if you guys don't like them, because I'm not about to shell out $150 just for the official necklace, and I don't like fighting on YahooJapan for things -- being a BJD collector, I'm already well aware of how vicious Japanese bidders are on there.

I just thought I'd post the link anyway for you guys, but I'm sorry it didn't meet the judges approval. Lol. XD

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Oh, gods, that's not what I meant! I just was saying that those aren't official but they're still GOOD. I would KILL for earrings like that (I like the Singapore ones better than the Japanese official, as I said)...and yeah, bjds = EAT YOUR WALLET.

phantomthief
07-10-2005, 04:59 PM
The Ltd Edition Isao Nanjo dollfie O.o I looked at it and it about killed me T.T Too cute!!! Also about $1,200 XD

I really like their earrings O.O Though the ring DOES look a little funky ^.^;

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Hey guys! Major scoreage on the earrings front!

I managed to find some really nice non-faceted green dangly earrings of approximately the right size at The Icing this afternoon. THey're way longer than most people seem to use, but for me that's perfect. (My hair is so thiiiick that I need crazy obvious earrings to even have a hope of showing up!) I also have an extra pair that I bought because it was buy one get another half off.

Anyway, those crazy earring hook thingies. You know, the ones that the Singapore earrings had...that looks vaguely like a bent staple or something. What are those called? I can't find them online!

phantomthief
07-10-2005, 10:26 PM
They're just screw-in backs (Another kind of clip on) I'm not sure if it has a certain name O.o; If you really can't find the right kind I could send you pair of earrings with the right posts and you can... try to detach the earring? If that makes sense?

(My aunt owns a souvenier jewelry shop in Hawaii and sent me some weird stuff that I never used ^.^; )

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Ah. Not really pierced then? Because I have pierced ears and as such non-pierced earrings are suckage.

Looks like it may be gold balls with the red stone and green teardrop for me.

HowlnoNyanko
07-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Hello! If we are talking earrings...

Here are mine :)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7649/1221/1600/IMGP13541.jpg
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7649/1221/1600/IMGP1357.jpg

These are the ones I lost at AX :( (before I figured out that a velvet scarf makes a nice backdrop...)
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7649/1221/1600/Earrings.jpg

I made a few more with gold plated brass...but I haven't taken any pictures. They are so easy to make! I got the beads from a bead store, and the findings from JoAnn's and the red beads from Ebay :) It wasn't expensive if you break down the price, either :)

>Hanyaan Faery: By all means :) I'm honored you think my ideas are worth mention :)

Hanyaan
07-10-2005, 10:32 PM
HowlnoNyanko - Hey, no prob. And this is a spammity post to say that omg, I have that doujinshi too. @_@

Technoir
07-11-2005, 01:42 AM
HanyaanFaery - Try using a French Clip backing? It's not really clip-on, but it has the appearance of it. Here's some pictures so you know what I'm talking about.

One. (http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/210000/211400/211467/products/7880656.jpg)
Two. (http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/79/72/12_1_b.JPG)
Three. (http://i11.ebayimg.com/02/i/04/73/e1/4a_1_b.JPG)

And here's a different kind of french clip (http://www.jewelry-consultants.com/.64twleverergal.jpg), though it's not the best picture. It's not really a common backing, and I don't know how exactly it'd work with Howl's earrings, but it's an idea. :D

Hanyaan
07-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Far Cry - OMFG, that last "different kind" is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Wow, that's so awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Technoir
07-11-2005, 01:51 AM
HanyaanFaery - Glad to help! <3 Here's the rest of the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86062&item=5010053750&rd=1), if you want to see other pictures of them to get an idea.

Edit: Wow, eleven pages already. XD And there's not even all that many people posting in here! We pwn.

crazymiko
07-11-2005, 01:28 PM
That helped alot. *sigh* It'll be awhile before I finish my jewelry. I had to order those too. -.- It's amazing how much the beading stores don't stock around here. The ones I ordered look really good in the picture though. I'll be sure to post pics once everything comes in and gets made. So not making Ikasucon with more accurate jewelry.

I did do my ring this weekend though. They're a little bad since it's the first time I've used scupltey and I'm not that good with my hands. Still need to paint them more silver and actually glue the gems in.
Photo 1 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/howlring.jpg)
2 (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/howlrings.jpg)

Hanyaan
07-11-2005, 01:33 PM
HanyaanFaery - Glad to help! <3 Here's the rest of the auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86062&item=5010053750&rd=1), if you want to see other pictures of them to get an idea.

Edit: Wow, eleven pages already. XD And there's not even all that many people posting in here! We pwn.

WE SO PWN SO VERY MUCH!!!! :heart:

I did do my ring this weekend though. They're a little bad since it's the first time I've used scupltey and I'm not that good with my hands. Still need to paint them more silver and actually glue the gems in.

Hey, those are really pretty! I'm sure when they're all painted up they'll be truly truly gorgeous! ^___^ They match so very well, too!~

phantomthief
07-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Good lord... 11 pages... :D There's just so much to discuss ^.^

I've started research on the Howl birdy... I want the feathers on the body to lie more flat rather than ruffled... His body looks sleek like a bird's breast rather than fluffy... That means... curved feathers???

~Ari-chan

HowlnoNyanko
07-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Good lord... 11 pages... :D There's just so much to discuss ^.^

I've started research on the Howl birdy... I want the feathers on the body to lie more flat rather than ruffled... His body looks sleek like a bird's breast rather than fluffy... That means... curved feathers???

~Ari-chan
Hello :)

I don't know much about costuming with feathers, but I have a bird :)

The softer the feathers are, the more they will lie flat to the body. Most of the feathers for sale are tail or wing feathers. My bird's softest feathers lie flat and his hard wing and tail feathers don't.

So...thinking about it...you'd want to use the feathers they use in pillows...the ones that still look like feathers, but have a bit of down at the bottom...not the all down feathers :) Those feathers look like the ones on my bird's chest. I hope this helps...

Dia
07-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Hitori - yay, thanks! That will definitely help. I'm hoping to get a pageboy outfit done fairly soon, since it doesn't look to be too hard.

HanyaanFaery - I really don't Howl is too much of an option, but the more I think about it, the more I'm considering a Sophie costume. Hmm.....

crazymiko
07-12-2005, 11:56 PM
It's about time I started pulling my weight when it comes to filling up this thread.

Sewing Front:
Putting those damnable diamonds together. (Look! Alliteration!) It's promising to look interesting. Cutting all those out was mindnumbing though. Still need to fiddle with the floofy shirt but the coat has priority since it needs to be ready by...friday. *hangs head*

Jewelry Front:
Doused my rings with some silver spray paint as seen in the pictures below. Still not happy with them. Am considering letting the top ring with a blue stone go to anyone with fingers tiny enough for it (approx 4.5). The bottom one is already spoken for. Got some quick earrings for Ikasu as well. Will most likely be selling them afterwards since I have leverback clips currently on order.

Planning Front:
Have gotten the father involved in the mechanics of wing construction. If what he's saying is doable, they will be some bitching wings. He has a lot of mechanical experience to there is talk of making them in two pieces for storage as well as being able to switch between folded and spread fairly easily. He lost me though with talk of hinges and tools I don't know the function of. Crossing fingers that it will all work out well. We're going to study a couple different designs then come up with a plan.

And now, some pictures.
Painted Rings (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/paintedrings.jpg)

Earring (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/earring.jpg)

And just for fun, it's three days before a con, what does your sewing room look like?
Pure (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/room.jpg) Chaos (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/cmiko/chaos.jpg)

Hanyaan
07-13-2005, 12:13 AM
Crazymiko - OMG. I wish I had a picture of my own sewing room...but you made me laugh so hard because it's SO TRUE! SO TRUE I TELL YOU!!! (Actually I think my bathroom was worse before my last con. I had the bright idea to do all my wig dying and cloth dying in my bathroom. Needless to say, my bathroom was cosplaying from Howl's Moving Castle.)

BTW, your jewelry is so the win. I really like your earring!

HowlnoNyanko
07-15-2005, 03:16 PM
CrazyMiko> Where did you get the beads for your earrings? I love them! I couldn't find one that wasn't like super teeny with the hole drilled horizontally like that! I love the way you attached the red bead, too! I'm not so good at twisting wire that I can do that presentably yet, but I'm trying. It's really hard to figure out what length to cut the wire to make everything even. Yours looks perfect! The wings sound so cool! Please post pictures when they are done! The rings are gorgeous :) It makes me want to try (but I've not much experience with clay...and it is safe to cook clay if you have birds, you think?)

I notice everyone's earrings are green...and the official ones, too. No matter how many times I look them in the movie, they look turquoise to me. I must be colorblind or something. I'm going to have to make green ones, too :)

Hehe, our house is too small for me to have a sewing room...the only place with enough space is our living room...so that's about what our living room looks the week before a con *blush*

phantomthief
07-17-2005, 04:32 PM
Teh amazing color changing earrings!? Or maybe not... XD But the book mentioned that they were blue somewhere... T.T I'll make a seperate set of jewelry for Book-Howl ^.^;

I'm still looking into feather suppliers... Thanks for the info Nyanko-san! Anybody have a rough estimate of how many pounds of feathers it would take? (Standard 4-8 inch feathers)

~Ari-chan

crazymiko
07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm back from Ikasu and Howl's debut as my first finished costume. Somehow or another I managed to take home Best Individual Novice Craftsmanship with it. Lucky I guess, I'm not too happy with it. I rather belatedly realized the bias tape should not go all the way around. I forgot about that since I did marathon sewing Thursday night and Friday. Anyway, you can see pictures in my gallery. The wig hates me, I didn't have time I fool with it that much before the con since it came in Wednesday and spent most of it's time wet in an attempt to straighten it. Mprh, need to do v. 2 to fix some little things.

HowlnoNyanko - I found the beads on ebay of all places. I have a lot of time on my hands at work to sift through beading sites and auctions. They're a little flat for my tastes but they look great.

phantomthief - I have heard nothing but good about http://www.rainbowfeatherco.com. No idea on the rough estimate though. I have been told that about pound of marabou will do you for the body. It also depends on exactly how big you plan to make your wings. *sniff* Mine will be so expensive.

Hanyaan
07-17-2005, 11:19 PM
crazymiko - You look awesome! With a bit of straightening, that wig would be lovely too; I love the color! And your pants. That's such a perfect leg silhouette!

phantomthief
07-17-2005, 11:41 PM
XD YES! The diamond coats are always rushed!!! :D But I like yours!

And thanks for the feather idea ^.^

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
07-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Phantomthief - I'd second Rainbow Feather. I know people who've ordered from there and loved it.

Oh, and LOVE TO THE RUSH SEWING COATS. <333 There's nothing like 3AM sewing, is there? Except maybe 3AM caffeinated sewing, which is BETTER.

phantomthief
07-17-2005, 11:47 PM
My dad bought me a quilting rotary cutter and mat a few days after I finished the coat T.T Ah well... I guess I'll have it to use for the blue/silver one. >.< It would have saved quite a bit of time! O.o And... I reccomend rotary cutters to EVERYONE!!! *hugs mine*

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
07-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Hey, I've just run into a problem.

How the hell do you edge terrycloth? Is it even possible to make your own towel? Because I was messing with all the towels in my house and the only ones I found that were small enough height-wise were washcloths. And they might still have been long!

phantomthief
07-18-2005, 01:53 AM
... Towels... *brain click* :love:

Erm... Yeah! But edgin terrycloth... you usually need to use some sort of binding or trim?

~Ari-chan

crazymiko
07-18-2005, 01:52 PM
crazymiko - You look awesome! With a bit of straightening, that wig would be lovely too; I love the color! And your pants. That's such a perfect leg silhouette!

*laughing* Those my friend, are my standard black pants for semi-formal and cosplay occassions (also found in blue and khaki). I am in love with my Dickies as they are used for a nice chunk of my costumes. </advertisment> I considered making slightly more accurate pants but I can see the storebought ones work nicely.

I think I sewed from 8pm Thursday to 11pm Friday with some food breaks and catnaps in between. I would have finished a lot faster but I lost the sewing machine for the shirt and was forced to handsew on top of altering the fit. Would not have been such an issue if I hadn't left all my extra material at home. I had to be really careful before cutting anything.

I'm out on terrycloth but I'll consult the resident seamstress (aka my grandma) on the issue.

edit
To answer the question about how the jacket stays on. 99% of the time it just hung out on my shoulders but I pinned it to the shirt for the contest. Luckily they held during my walkon though I did have slippage issues when one worked itself loose when I bowed. I'm going to sew snaps or something similar onto the jacket and shirt later.

crazymiko
07-19-2005, 01:37 PM
^^ Even more posting. Anyway, I've been working on a way to provide relatively accurate jewelry domestically at a reasonable cost. I already have most of the materials from my own jewelry. The greatest expense lies in the chain and pendant. I really need a better supplier for the pendant and the chain is just an interest issue since it makes the most sense for me to buy in 15ft increments which would yield almost 8 necklaces. I would probably charge around $35 for necklace/earring set, it will depend on the final material cost. I might do few rings but I don't feel really confident about them and they would be restricted to smaller sizes.

Does this seem like a fair price? I've put a lot of time into finding all of the materials. I'll be sure to post more pictures as the rest of my stuff comes in. This is pretty much a one time deal too. I'll make a few sets and once my pendants/chain run out that's it. Do you guys think there are 7-8 Howl fans willing to buy something like this? I can either buy enough chain to redo my necklace or for this.

I'm still finidng out a little more about this chain. What do you think of it? So far it's the best I can do.

HowlnoNyanko
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Phantomthief> Oh! I forgot about that! Maybe that’s why the earrings seemed turquoise instead of green to me! My subconscious thought they had to be blue!

I read the book a long time ago when I found out that they were making a Howl movie. I couldn’t wait for the movie, so I got the book  I read it twice, fell in love, decided my friends had to read it…and haven’t got it back since  That was back in 2004…so it’s been a year since I’ve last read it  I did get my hands on the Japanese translation of the book! I haven’t read it yet, though.

Oh, please post piccies of your Bird-Howl when you are done! I bet it’d look so cool! (My birds feather’s overlap by ½ on his chest…but that would make for a LOT of feathers, huh? I don’t even know how to calculate that!)

Crazymiko> That chain looks really neat! Do you know what it’s made of? I get rashes often. I think $35 is a bit much for the necklace/earring set. I would definitely buy the set for $25…I would think about it for $30.

How much would just the earrings be? (Thanks for telling me where you got them…but if you’re going to sell them, then….*grin*)
What does the pendant look like? I couldn’t find a picture of one you’d made?
What did the bias tape go all around? (Sorry, I’m not a good sewer, so I didn’t get it)

I think your Howl looks really good (finally got the pictures to load)! I love how you choose a wavy wig  *slightly tousled hair Howl look = SQUEE*

HanyaanFaery> Some of my “anime” towels are edged in a…I think it’s called “overlock” stick? The stitches are really close together like satin stitch embroidery.

crazymiko
07-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Crazymiko> That chain looks really neat! Do you know what it’s made of? I get rashes often. I think $35 is a bit much for the necklace/earring set. I would definitely buy the set for $25…I would think about it for $30.

How much would just the earrings be? (Thanks for telling me where you got them…but if you’re going to sell them, then….*grin*)
What does the pendant look like? I couldn’t find a picture of one you’d made?
What did the bias tape go all around? (Sorry, I’m not a good sewer, so I didn’t get it)

I think your Howl looks really good (finally got the pictures to load)! I love how you choose a wavy wig  *slightly tousled hair Howl look = SQUEE*

I'm working on prying some more info out of my potential supplier about it. The original description was rather vague about size and content. I know what you mean on the rashes, most of my family is very sensitive to metal. (I'm not, thank god) I'm still working on getting the cost down. The pendant/chain are difficult for me to get ahold of cheaply. However, if an idea I have works then it should cut the material cost down. It is also involves a lot of extra work for me because it means linking beads together to make a more accurate chain.

I'm still figuring the earrings, I just got some leverbacks in that I'll have to post a picture of. They'll probably go around $6 for now. No good pictures of my necklace yet since my camera currently lives in my friend's car. ^^;; I can't believe I forgot it.

If you look at the pictures, the gold only goes around his collar and the front instead of all the way around the jacket. I didn't notice that until after I got judged.

Pictures to come if I ever get my camera back. ;.; The curse of having very different work hours.

phantomthief
07-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Oh, please post piccies of your Bird-Howl when you are done! I bet it’d look so cool! (My birds feather’s overlap by ½ on his chest…but that would make for a LOT of feathers, huh? I don’t even know how to calculate that!)

It's my next big project after AWA so I'll be sure to update on that frequently... ^.^ This is one of the first times that I'm truely thankful for being pretty short...

I'm aiming for a tech masterpiece so the 1/2 inch overlap is something we're looking into. From the diagrams my dad made, we're trying to make the entire thing with the main physics OF a bird in mind... While still looking like Howl and being able to walk properly XD

We were testing with the wing skeleton last weekend ^.^

~Ari-chan

Seed-chan
07-20-2005, 06:04 PM
*shuffles in* I have a question! Does anyone have any good reference pictures of Markl front and back? I've checked a lot of screencaps, but they don't show the bottom of his vest clearly, and that's what I'm stuck on @_@; (Damn you dial up, I wish i could get a copy of the movie).

crazymiko - I'd be interested in a set of the jewellery ^^

Hanyaan
07-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Seed-chan - I remember saying I'd help once but then my compy died horribly. ^^;; So my apologies. Here are some screencaps. Sorry for the crap quality. (I need the DVD and badly, but it doesn't exist yet!)

Hanyaan
07-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I couldn't fit these on the last post, so here's more Markl reference; this time it's (blurry) photographs of my figurine.

Vicky
07-21-2005, 01:32 PM
if you have an icon of a flower on your camera, please turn it on when taking photos of things up close ~_~

Hanyaan
07-21-2005, 01:34 PM
That was my old crappy camera. It broke. I should have mentioned the crap, and I was planning on retaking them with the same camera I used to take the pics of jewelry.

HuongStar
07-21-2005, 02:14 PM
*shuffles in* I have a question! Does anyone have any good reference pictures of Markl front and back? I've checked a lot of screencaps, but they don't show the bottom of his vest clearly, and that's what I'm stuck on @_@;
Ooooh! I can't wait to see your Markl costume. I wish I could make one but I'm a bit too old to cosplay him. :(

Seed-chan
07-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Hanyaan-san - Thanks so much~ *worships* Those are perfect, since I only needed to check out how the bottom of his vest was ^^

HuongStar - Aw, thanks ^^; Theorectically, no one's too old to cosplay anyone, either that or it's very hard to look young enough to be him, but I'm a dork, and already bought uber bright green fabric for him (might be the wrong shade by a bit, but... aharhar, it's still obnoxiously bright XD;; and you gotta love that) and I have the almost perfect wig (with his incredibly ugly and short bangs!)

crazymiko
07-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I finally got my camera back *hugs it* With that, I bring a few pictures.

Here's roughly what the new earrings look like. They're a little off since I threw them together without the aide of the right pliers so it got wonky at the top. That will be fixed later.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419451
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419450

My necklace comeplete with gratutious picture of the chain that cost way too much
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419467
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419449

The wig, now straighter and more cooperative since the con's over. -.- No love to it. Still need to tweak the ends and fix the bangs.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419452

There's a new photo of the whole thing taken by Animeisha.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=419468

State of the Howl:
Started preliminary design of demon Howl. Whee, articulation. Looking at sizing them down for the sake of weight which means there won't be the full outstretched effect but they'll still be able to move. -.- Of course this means tweaking the body to allow the new harness shape and the handles of pull for movement. This thing is going to beggar me until next payday since I bought too much stuff this week and didn't expect to order feathers.

Haven't done anything to the diamond coat yet. Will probably start recalculating the diamonds tomorrow. I made them a little too small. I have to wait another week on the fabric though so *shrug*

Pondering the triangle coat, going through the outfits at the moment. I have an idea I've been wanting to try and this might be an opportunity. No fabric until next week though when there's a nice 50% off sale.

And that's all from me tonight.

Hanyaan
07-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Wow, I posted pic replies and forgot to comment. That all looks awesome, and I just love how your wig seems to be turning out. It's such a nice color!

phantomthief
07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
*looks at spraypainted ring* DRY DARN YOU!!! *pokes it* *Leaves fingerprint*

*dies* Yeah... I made the ring too... THICK. T.T Time for version 2! >.<

Just finished "Castle in the Air" XD (Sequal to HMC) Wonderful book... I really enjoyed it! I was finally starting to think that it'd have nothing to do with Howl, but... well... He's Howl. He has his ways <.< >.> I'm glad how everything turned out. ^.^
Now go read it!!! :D

~Ari-chan

HowlnoNyanko
07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Crazymiko> Ooh! I would buy the earrings for $6! ...but we're going on vacation starting Friday...if there is a way they can be guaranteed to get here by them, I can get them now...would you take Paypal? Otherwise I can't get them until the end of August when I get back...

I think it looks nice to have the gold all the way around the bottom :) If Howl thought of it, he might do it! It's fancier that way!

I love the new earrings!

Phantomthief> WHOA! That sounds really cool! A whole "wing skeleton"?! Amazing! I'd love to do birdy-Howl, but :P I don't think my sewing skills could pull it off! I want to see pictures even more now!

Tee hee! I got Castle in the Air but I didn't read it because the summary on the flap and the reviews on Amazon made it seem like it was totally about some other character (I just wanted more Howl)...then I read some doujinshi based on the books this weekend and found that Howl must appear! I will go read it :)

Seed-chan> Good luck with your Markl! He's so cute!

HuongStar> I don't think anyone is too old to cosplay anyone either. It's all fun because you like the character, right? Besides...I looked at your gallery! You don't look old at all!

crazymiko
07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
*looks at spraypainted ring* DRY DARN YOU!!! *pokes it* *Leaves fingerprint*

*dies* Yeah... I made the ring too... THICK. T.T Time for version 2! >.<

Just finished "Castle in the Air" XD (Sequal to HMC) Wonderful book... I really enjoyed it! I was finally starting to think that it'd have nothing to do with Howl, but... well... He's Howl. He has his ways <.< >.> I'm glad how everything turned out. ^.^
Now go read it!!! :D

~Ari-chan

Put some sort of sealant over the spraypaint. Turns out it's sort of important, I thought I might be able to get away without one since I didn't have time. *had a silver finger during Ikasucon and needs to repaint ring ><*

phantomthief
07-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Oi... Time for coat #2 >.> *stares at spraypaint* SCOURGE OF THE DEVIL!!!

I think it's curse... may have to perform an exorcism...

~Ari-chan

crazymiko
07-28-2005, 10:53 PM
*poke* It's gotten a little quiet over here.

Still piddling with my necklace, I should have something interesting to show everyone soon. We'll see how this "do it yourself" chain thing goes.

Oh! Earrings are now available in the classifieds (http://classifieds.cosplay.com/showproduct.php?product=4398&sort=1&cat=5&page=1). *sigh* So many beads left to use.

Diamonds and math continue to hate me. I haven't quite hit on the right size yet so they line up exactly like in the reference photos. I guess that's all from me right now, Hotohori currently owns the sewing table and I can't buy the triangle coat fabric until Saturday.

Hanyaan
07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
crazymiko, I totally get the diamond math problem! Ugh. The Gankutsuou costume I'm almost finished with (Beppo, incidentally) has been easier than the diamonds! They are evil, and evil to calculate.

A random note, though, for those who want to smell like Howl as well as look like him. I finally got in my order of samples from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com), and they're absolutely wonderful. Some of my order was scents I thought would be good for Howl, and I've ordered full-size bottles of Pride and Hanging Gardens for use both everyday and for Howl. Especially Pride. It smells (at least on me) horrendously expensive, and in too much quantity is like being kicked in the nose by roses and lilacs, and Hanging Gardens smells like what I always imagined Howl's bathroom after a shower would. In the best of ways. Then again, I'm very fond of florals.

Opinion time, guys. I'm short. Howl is not short. I've been using wedge-heel platforms hidden by long pants for my regular outfit to make me look taller, but I'm debating what to do for the King uniform. I have a pair of boots in the right shape, except they have one-inch platforms on front and three inch total of chunk heel. They make me look taller, but would they detract too much from any costume I make?

crazymiko
07-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Opinion time, guys. I'm short. Howl is not short. I've been using wedge-heel platforms hidden by long pants for my regular outfit to make me look taller, but I'm debating what to do for the King uniform. I have a pair of boots in the right shape, except they have one-inch platforms on front and three inch total of chunk heel. They make me look taller, but would they detract too much from any costume I make?

Generally I don't like the look of tall shoes when you can see them. I think they're very distracting. Of course, it might work alright. It would depend on how it all looked together but I think go with just a small heel. I'm just going to be short in mine, I have the perfect boots but they're pretty flat.

phantomthief
07-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Generally I don't like the look of tall shoes when you can see them. I think they're very distracting. Of course, it might work alright. It would depend on how it all looked together but I think go with just a small heel. I'm just going to be short in mine, I have the perfect boots but they're pretty flat.

Same here ^.^ It turns out a pair of boots I bought about a year ago would be perfect for the "king Howl" costume... But, low heel. And, I'm 5'2 >.<

Ph33r my chibi-Howl-ness!!! XD

BTW, Hanyaan, Thanks for the link :D I want to get a few samples now... Have you tried the Mad Tea Party "Two, Five & Seven"? All that rose... It sounds kinda strong, but very intriguing... "Queen of Hearts" as well ^.^

~Ari-chan

Technoir
07-31-2005, 01:25 AM
HanyaanFaery - I agree that super huge platforms can be very distracting. I, personally, wouldn't worry too much about height -- in cosplay, it really does not matter at all if you're not as tall as the character. Honestly, no one pays attention to height. Especially since you're dressing as Howl. XD People will be too busy going, "OMG HOWL EEEEE!!!" to notice how tall or short you are. e.e

By the way, guys, I was given The Art of Howl's Moving Castle for my birthday. There's a rather large page with illustrations of Howl's ring in particular that I shall scan tomorrow and post for you guys. Is there anything else you guys are looking for that you'd like me to scan? High-quality images of particular characters, etcetc?

damagedgarden
07-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Then again, I'm very fond of florals.

Awww...I am actually jealous of all the Howl cosplayers because they get to smell wonderful! It might be a little strange (obsessive) but I like to match my perfume to the match the character of each costume I do. <3

I say go with the taller boots. If your pants are long enough to cover at least some of the sole, then I don't see a problem at all. I imagine that it might help you get more into character which is always wonderful. I personally am very tall for a girl. (5ft 8 1/2in) and even though I love wearing heels and platforms, I usually go with flats when cosplaying since most of the characters I do are shorties. If I don't do this, then I feel very awkward over the fact I am usually taller than a lot of the guys. Besides, your Howl is so wonderful no one will notice a bit of a height to your boot. ^_~

damagedgarden
07-31-2005, 06:40 PM
crazymiko - What kind of sealant do you reccomend for a spray painted ring? I made my own ring and painted it, then used a clear top coat, but that only dulled the "silver" of the paint! So I screwed it up. Another blast of paint and it was fixed, but now the paint looks thick. (wonders if she should just make another ring)

Far Cry - I would love it if you scanned and posted pics of the ring from the artbook!

Technoir
07-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Here it is! (http://www.freepgs.com/tengu/HowlScans/093.JPG) It's a big big, so I hope that's okay. :3 Enjoy!

I'll have the whole book scanned and uploaded to the HMC LJ community later on tonight, so keep an eye out. :D

Hanyaan
08-02-2005, 02:13 AM
Far Cry - OMG that is so useful of you to scan that! ^^;; I wish I had a scanner too...

Damagedgarden - Wow. I'm not the only person who matches perfume to characters then!!!

Phantomthief - I tried Two Five and Seven and it turned out making me smell like a candy factory or something...it went all sugar sugar sugar on my skin. ^^;; And OMG, i didn't realize you're another 5'2 Howl!

OK, and now for another update. AN artbook I don't have access to has proved that Young Howl has both knee breeches and pants. (Knee breeches in the first part of the scene, and pants after! WHEE!) My Young Howl pants got eaten by the red bathrobe in the washing machine. Which would look better?

crazymiko
08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
crazymiko - What kind of sealant do you reccomend for a spray painted ring? I made my own ring and painted it, then used a clear top coat, but that only dulled the "silver" of the paint! So I screwed it up. Another blast of paint and it was fixed, but now the paint looks thick. (wonders if she should just make another ring)

Far Cry - I would love it if you scanned and posted pics of the ring from the artbook!

I haven't gotten around to sealing mine (I've been a busy Miko between work and getting yelled at about packing for college) but the stuff I generally use is just a clear varish. I can tell you what it is exactly when I get home and test it to make sure it's spraypaint friendly.

crazymiko
08-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Alright, I got home and slapped some varnish onto one of my scrap rings and it seems to work nicely. Specifically I used some Liquitex Satin Varnish leftover from another project but it seems to work pretty well. It hasn't had a field test yet but the ring no long feels sticky. It hasn't dulled the paint but as a word of caution it will appear cloudy if not brushed on evenly and lightly. Better stuff exists I'm sure, but it's what I had on hand. I still haven't tried out this gloss spray I have.

Soratakun
08-02-2005, 11:41 PM
The plot was good, the characters were good, and the scenery was breathtaking. So was the music. <3

The translation and dubbing, however, absolute blew and just made me want to puke myself again over Disney. >O

Hanyaan
08-03-2005, 12:58 AM
As a book fan, I actually prefer the English version. Christian Bale's Howl has a bit more of the feel of the original Howell Jenkins, in my opinion, although by no means do I think he was the perfect Howl. Older Sophie in the English version, though, is exactly what I always imagined hearing when I read the book. Of course the translation isn't 100%; the English version translated with occasional aid from the original book. I personally think it was very well-done, and while I may have wanted something different, I'm completely pleased with the outcome.

Back to discussion about Howl's Moving Castle cosplay, though, I found some amazonite teardrop pendants about an inch long for three dollars each in a local jewelry store. They only had two, though. ;_;

Firestar
08-03-2005, 01:08 AM
hmm. there was some character from this movie that i was looking into cosplaying just because of its look (i dont remember the name of it, someone could possibly help me out with its name and maybe so info about it if i could find a picture somewhere) but yeah.
i would usually know... but i never got to see the movie, even though i wanted to.
went to the movies to find out that it wasnt offered at my theater...
my friends seemed happy that they didnt have to sit through it though. hahah.
okay yeah... little ramble over.
<3

Hanyaan
08-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Can you describe at all what the character looked like? I think I could help if you did. If it's a main character it'd probably be Sophie (in the blue dress) or Howl (who is hawtness). If it's a minor character, if you can remember remotely what the hairstyle was and/or what colors the outfit was I could probably figure it out for you.

Firestar
08-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Can you describe at all what the character looked like? I think I could help if you did. If it's a main character it'd probably be Sophie (in the blue dress) or Howl (who is hawtness). If it's a minor character, if you can remember remotely what the hairstyle was and/or what colors the outfit was I could probably figure it out for you.

it was probably the main character.
i only got a glimps of it from a preview
but it seemed to be covered in blue hair or something.
which was my reason for wanting to dress as it.
it'd be fun to be a huge fuzzy thing all day. haha.

Hanyaan
08-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Most likely Bird Howl. That is, if it had lots and lots of feathers, and wings. The only all-blue thing I can think of is when Calcifer goes all accurately blue while Howl is moving house. I could get a screencap of that...

Firestar
08-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Most likely Bird Howl. That is, if it had lots and lots of feathers, and wings. The only all-blue thing I can think of is when Calcifer goes all accurately blue while Howl is moving house. I could get a screencap of that...

yeah, from how it looked, they coulda been feathers too.
so your probably right.
i dont know if i'd ever end up doing that costume though.
just because theres so many other ones i would want to do before that.
and i usually only make one costume a year just because im not like... obsessive over this stuff. haha.

damagedgarden
08-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Alright, I got home and slapped some varnish onto one of my scrap rings and it seems to work nicely. Specifically I used some Liquitex Satin Varnish leftover from another project but it seems to work pretty well. It hasn't had a field test yet but the ring no long feels sticky. It hasn't dulled the paint but as a word of caution it will appear cloudy if not brushed on evenly and lightly. Better stuff exists I'm sure, but it's what I had on hand. I still haven't tried out this gloss spray I have.

Um, varnish as in wood varnish? ^^;;; Sorry, just making sure. I will have to try that out. I want my ring to stay "silvery" but not sticky. Thanks!

crazymiko
08-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Oh sorry, forgot to specify. Not wood varnish, it's actually for acrylic paint and can be found in the painting supplies of pretty much any craft store. They have a lot of diferent varities of it depending on the finish you want.

crazymiko
08-07-2005, 01:50 AM
I need an opinion guys. I sat my butt down and worked on the triangle coat to take a break from Hotohori. I'm just about finished now, so I need to decide what bias tape to put on. I've been on a shiny kick lately and it's made out of the same casa satin as my other Howl coat. However, I'm not sure if the gold would look right. What do you all think? Shiny gold or a yellow?

Hanyaan
08-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Bright metallic gold? Not expensive-looking enough, IMO. Most pre-made metallic trim doesn't have that OMG I SPENT FIVE MONTHS SALARY ON A SINGLE JACKET WHEE! look that I personally like for Howl. I used silk essence bias tape on mine, but it was rather a disaster and required 3am delirious sewing to properly apply. So I'd suggest getting something with some texture in a dark golden color that isn't bright yellow but isn't all metallic either. Like gold moleskin or something.

phantomthief
08-10-2005, 05:13 PM
My brain a-splode! I used the uber-shiny stuff for the first Howl, and It's a little annoying to work with... My suggestion is the gold satin blanket binding that's usually next to the bias tape. One thing though, if you cut it, serge/pink/burn the edges. It frays to bloody hell.

V-san want to wear my Howl coat to AWA so... All the more reason to make another Howl :D

~Ari-chan

damagedgarden
08-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Thank you crazymiko for clearing that up! I was about to head to the hardware store for wood varnish!

Anyway I believe I already gave my opinion about on the subject of Howl's boots, and I know these are not platforms, but these are damn hot. (The boots that is)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Huuga/haul_01.jpg

Anyway, enough about Howl's boots, I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for Sophie's boots? My budget is kind of limited at the moment and I haven't seen anything simillar to her boots in stores.

Shinigami_Mimi
08-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you crazymiko for clearing that up! I was about to head to the hardware store for wood varnish!

Anyway I believe I already gave my opinion about on the subject of Howl's boots, and I know these are not platforms, but these are damn hot. (The boots that is)

Anyway, enough about Howl's boots, I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for Sophie's boots? My budget is kind of limited at the moment and I haven't seen anything simillar to her boots in stores.

Those are awesome cosplayers. *.* Well, for boots you could buy similar boots that are a different color and put covers on top of them. A lot of ppl use fabric covers, and I know one girl used leather, but that's if you want the boots to be bigger in size. ^^ Also whenever you wanna save money for boots, it's always good to just about go to every store and check the shoe section because boots in the summer time are EXTREMELY cheap. I got good knee high black boots for $6. XD

I also need help I guess. Finally after reading the book I came to the conclusion of picking Howl's blue outfit too. Since the velvet grey and red one would be too hot during summer time. x.x Gah. So I re-read the book and looked for clues on how it'd look. Do I need anything else other than this?

When a young man in a fantastical blue and silver costume-elaborated blonde hair. His sleeves trailed longer than any in the square all scalloped edges and silver insets. He wore perfume, the smell of hyacinths. Glass green eyes-trailing sleeve-blue jewel hanging from Howl's ear-embroidery on his suit

I also guessed for the sleeve length it'd be up to my ankles, since dragging on the floor seems a lil too much and would ruin the edges on the sleeves. x.x

Hanyaan
08-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Mimi - You got most of the main parts of the outfits, although there's a few points that I've caught that might be worth mentioning.

-According to Castle in the Air (the sequel), Howl's normal clothes are made of some kind of silk satin. Expensive expensive expensive. >_>
-The sleeves on the blue and silver outfit don't drag on the ground while you're standing, but (according to one scene describing Howl working on spells kneeling) you should be able to tie the ends of the sleeves in a knot behind your neck while kneeling and being able to work on stuff on the ground. (That's going to be some loooong sleeves, incidentally. I can just barely do that with my Eriol robe that has three-foot trailing sleeves, and I'm only 5'2"!)
-Other perfumes that are appropriate for Howl are gardenia, rose, and lilac. Or anything that smells in-your-face floral and uses a combination of those flowers. (Which are, incidentally, VERY expensive to get actual oil from. Howl and his mad spending again.)
-Howl's hair is long enough in the front that he can brush it back out of his eyes with his fingers. So not overly short, yeah.

basiik
08-14-2005, 07:13 PM

That photo! Do you know who or where it came from? I'd like to track down the makers for a commission for my BF... or me, if he refuses, as usual. They're so gorgeous!! *explodes* Thanks in advance!

Shinigami_Mimi
08-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Mimi - You got most of the main parts of the outfits, although there's a few points that I've caught that might be worth mentioning.

-According to Castle in the Air (the sequel), Howl's normal clothes are made of some kind of silk satin. Expensive expensive expensive. >_>
-The sleeves on the blue and silver outfit don't drag on the ground while you're standing, but (according to one scene describing Howl working on spells kneeling) you should be able to tie the ends of the sleeves in a knot behind your neck while kneeling and being able to work on stuff on the ground. (That's going to be some loooong sleeves, incidentally. I can just barely do that with my Eriol robe that has three-foot trailing sleeves, and I'm only 5'2"!)
-Other perfumes that are appropriate for Howl are gardenia, rose, and lilac. Or anything that smells in-your-face floral and uses a combination of those flowers. (Which are, incidentally, VERY expensive to get actual oil from. Howl and his mad spending again.)
-Howl's hair is long enough in the front that he can brush it back out of his eyes with his fingers. So not overly short, yeah.

Omfg. XD And I thought I was gonna pay a lot for the jems I'm adding to the outfit. Silk satin...hm. O.o I'll ask for that at the fabric shop seeing that fabric warehouses are cheaper than most stores. So hopefully they carry it. XD

You're not alone! XD I'm just one inch taller than you. So I'm gonna have to wear a good set of high heels. x.x

I always found flower oils cheaper than normal perfume. O.o; Bath and Body Works has a section devoted to oil and incests, while there's this store called Native Art that sells a lot of old fashion items that seem good around his time.

I'm gonna be blind again walking around as him. XD Oh, he doesn't seem to wear a necklace in the book version like in the movie, ne? I was planning on just adding it, since it seems so important to him in the movie. o.o

damagedgarden
08-14-2005, 11:15 PM
That photo! Do you know who or where it came from? I'd like to track down the makers for a commission for my BF... or me, if he refuses, as usual. They're so gorgeous!! *explodes* Thanks in advance!

Sorry basiik, I found that picture on someone's website that featured Japanese cosplay. It was not the website of the cosplayers themselves. I would love to find their website though. :O

Hanyaan
08-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Omfg. XD And I thought I was gonna pay a lot for the jems I'm adding to the outfit. Silk satin...hm. O.o I'll ask for that at the fabric shop seeing that fabric warehouses are cheaper than most stores. So hopefully they carry it. XD

You're not alone! XD I'm just one inch taller than you. So I'm gonna have to wear a good set of high heels. x.x

I always found flower oils cheaper than normal perfume. O.o; Bath and Body Works has a section devoted to oil and incests, while there's this store called Native Art that sells a lot of old fashion items that seem good around his time.

I'm gonna be blind again walking around as him. XD Oh, he doesn't seem to wear a necklace in the book version like in the movie, ne? I was planning on just adding it, since it seems so important to him in the movie. o.o
Oh gods, you better have a good budget if you use silk satin! *cry* I decided that I simply had to use dupioni silk satin for my diamond coat in progress. It was $12 a yard...ON SALE. Jo-ann's does carry it, though.

Yay for short cosplayers! :bigtu: Still, try not to get totally obvious platforms. It can look odd in photos.

Flower oils do tend to be cheaper than blended perfume; however, every one of the flower oils that Howl wears is extremely expensive in essential oil form. (No, I didn't go hunting down all of the perfumes before deciding on rose and lilac because I could afford them...eh heh heh.)

I don't seem to remember Howl wearing a necklace in the book, but it certainly wouldn't be amiss. Howl's so extravagant, isn't he? ^^;; And regarding hair...take it from someone whose bangs are almost always down to her eyes, it IS tolerable. The key is to use thinning and layering near the ends, so you don't have as much hair in your eyes as you do near the top of your forehead.

Shinigami_Mimi
08-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Oh gods, you better have a good budget if you use silk satin! *cry* I decided that I simply had to use dupioni silk satin for my diamond coat in progress. It was $12 a yard...ON SALE. Jo-ann's does carry it, though.

Yay for short cosplayers! :bigtu: Still, try not to get totally obvious platforms. It can look odd in photos.

Flower oils do tend to be cheaper than blended perfume; however, every one of the flower oils that Howl wears is extremely expensive in essential oil form. (No, I didn't go hunting down all of the perfumes before deciding on rose and lilac because I could afford them...eh heh heh.)

I don't seem to remember Howl wearing a necklace in the book, but it certainly wouldn't be amiss. Howl's so extravagant, isn't he? ^^;; And regarding hair...take it from someone whose bangs are almost always down to her eyes, it IS tolerable. The key is to use thinning and layering near the ends, so you don't have as much hair in your eyes as you do near the top of your forehead.

Wootness! XD Thankies for all your help. Well there is a bright side. Good thing Howl doesn't have any weird colored eyes like Sasuke from Naruto. o.o Or else there would be more money to spend on that. XD Lol.

phantomthief
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I grew out my bangs ^.^; So I had to bursh them off to the sides. I'd say they're a tiny bit past my mouth...

Oh yeah! I'm buying the fabric for Blue/Silver Howl tomorrow... This is going to be scaaaaary. Oh well ^.^ I'll post a few sketches later on and you guys help me pick the one you think fits best... I like them all O.o;

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
08-21-2005, 10:17 PM
For those of you who want nice happy references:

My local Borders just got in the first volume of the HMC film comic in English! The colors are a bit over-saturated but it's FULL of nice happy stills!

It also proves that Howl's shoes are a biznitch to find anything remotely near. *braces self for another 5 hours of shoe-hunting*

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much of the movie has stills form it in the film comics. It covers up until Howl finds the curse the Witch planted on sophie. the "That can't be good for the table!" scene. It also includes 360? references for the Chezary's uniforms, among other things.

phantomthief
08-24-2005, 06:29 PM
I saw that at my local Barnes&Noble...

Me: Sailor Moon... GetBackers... Hellsing... Howl's Moving--- Hey WHAT!? *grabs* *runs off to nearest chair* I had fun with that ^.^ I just wish they didn't charge $10 for such a small book >.<

~Ari-chan

Hanyaan
08-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Does anybody still read this? ^^;; hee.

Anyway, I'm going to be playing with resin in an attempt to make a replica of my necklace that I don't have to constantly worry about. @_@ If I can successfully duplicate the pendant part, would anybody be interested in buying a light blue nonfaceted teardrop cast off my necklace? ^^;;

Shinigami_Mimi
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
I still read it. XD I was just on vacation. Finally found a wig for Howl. XD Woo! It's hard finding a messy uneven wig. o.o But found one. x.x

HanyaanFaery: Yeah, Book 1 came out but recently Book 2 also came out too. ^-^ Woot. XD Guess they're trying to buy time till Spring when the movie comes on dvd. T.T

phantomthief: Yayies! XD Sketches are fun. X3 I'm also doing a few, because that outfit is all dealt with imagination and creativity of how you see it. XD

I don't know. O.o My version of it makes Howl look like he's from Renaissance time. x.x For some odd reason, with the puffy shoulder puffs and the long tailed coat. So far it's just a sketch. ^^;; Kinda like Yuuta from Ultra Maniac, if I can find a piccie. >> I'll take a screenshot when my friend gives me back the dvd. XD

SIDE-NOTE: Also my friend just found this. XD For those who like the movie music here's a linkie to it. X3

http://www.livejournal.com/community/ghibli/108082.html#cutid1

HowlnoNyanko
08-31-2005, 12:45 PM
~Ari-chan
~Ari-chan

Hello! My late input...when I read the book (before I saw any pics for the movie) I thought Howl was wearing a Houppelande:
http://www.noelcostumier.com/Castle.htm

The sleeves are really long and they are dagged so it makes it fancier...and somewhere else in the book (when they go to whales) they make it sound like Michael and Howl were wearing "robe-like" things, so this made me think of medeival Europe even more :)

Adakie> Is this the one you made? http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=374726
Oooh! It looks REALLY good! How much were you thinking of charging for one? I would really love to have a wheezing Heen! That would be so cute! (Yeah, this is like a WAY late reply, sorry).

Oh, and I did buy a pair of earrings from Crazy Miko and they were really cute :) I wore them on my vacation in SF and .au :)

DamagedGarden> I found a cool pair of brown Sophie books in Australia! They are from the brand "Dantes". They lace up just like Sophie's and are about 1/2 inch short of the perfect length. I don't have my cable to transfer the pix from my camera to the computer, though. I really like that picture of the Japanese Howl Cosplayers, though...it's so cool! I so want to do a cosplay group! It took me years to find just a new friend to do cosplay with (most of my anime friends are guys and don't cosplay. Pooh).

Oh, and I don't know about you guys, but it helps me when I sew if I see other people's costumes...so I can figure out what pattern looks like it'd work, etc...and so here is a link to a store that sells Howl cosplay. Maybe the pics will help someone? I just like drooling over them. (I think it's neat how the URL has "Diana" in it)
http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/~grifon/main/

Here is the HMC page:
http://www.diana.dti.ne.jp/~grifon/main/hawl.htm

I've seen the King's Green suits and a lot of Sophie dresses on Yahoo Japan, too. I've only seen one white-purple outfit and one pink shirt Howl outfit, though.

novaraven1
09-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Oh for the love of pink! Now they tell us where to buy this junk! But I did make my howl jacket out of shiny satin so it looks much nicer.

I went to India town in the city to find it. Indian people look at you funny for asking for things in plain colours that are not going to be used for lining. They thought we were crazy for making a jacket with only pink and that beautiful silvery mauve we found. The lady kept trying to convince us to get something with a print or a boarder on it. And we only ended up paying 5$ a meter. The red satin lining was the same price as the heavier stuff. Go find an Indian fabric shop. Their stuff smells like inscence, but it's so worth it! Such beautiful fabrics!

kiwi
09-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Has anybody managed to find Sophie-esque boots for a reasonable price? (>$50) The only pair I've found was $150 and I wasn't willing to shell out because I don't think I'd wear them except for cosplay.

Hanyaan
09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Kiwi: First off, you make SUCH an adorable Sophie! As do all the Sophies posted here, just want to huggle them all for being Sophie... ^^;;

Check the Goodwills and every single vintage store you can find. All. The. Frikkin. Time. Howl's Moving Castle-style shoes were apparently decently popular in the 60's. So far I've found a pair of Sophie-esque boots twice, and once I found what I think were EXACTLY Howl's shoes but they were three sizes too small for me. The larger the store, the more likely you'll be able to find something.

If you aren't completely anal, any pair of round-point-toe lace-up ankle boots with a rather low heel in tan ought to work. To be really accurate, they need a toe seam.

It's the toe seam that makes shoes hard to find.

kiwi
09-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Kiwi: First off, you make SUCH an adorable Sophie! As do all the Sophies posted here, just want to huggle them all for being Sophie... ^^;;

Check the Goodwills and every single vintage store you can find. All. The. Frikkin. Time. Howl's Moving Castle-style shoes were apparently decently popular in the 60's. So far I've found a pair of Sophie-esque boots twice, and once I found what I think were EXACTLY Howl's shoes but they were three sizes too small for me. The larger the store, the more likely you'll be able to find something.

If you aren't completely anal, any pair of round-point-toe lace-up ankle boots with a rather low heel in tan ought to work. To be really accurate, they need a toe seam.

It's the toe seam that makes shoes hard to find.

*L* Thanks ^^ I look kinda silly (and hairless -- I *do* have almost-waistlength hair ~_~) in all the pics I managed to get, which just means I need to wear it again and get some proper pics taken :)

I have terrible luck with Goodwill (the one closest to me is an outlet, so they end up with the total dregs which they sell for $1.29/lb) and Salvation Army wants a ridiculous amount of money for their stuff. A fair bit of it is priced more expensive than new @_@

...But then I remembered my old cosplay shoes standby -- ebay! duh! I found two pairs in my size, perfect style, on the first search. Both have the toe seam and look period appropriate. That was easy enough; should've thought of that before AE ^^

P.S. Love all your Howls :D

Adrienne
12-01-2005, 02:05 PM
*blows dust off thread* YAES!!!

Mmmh. Even though, with my look and body type, I am totally totally unsuited to cosplay Howl, I am going to anyways; because I have no pride. And because I am completely in love with Howl. *L* I have his attitude if that counts for anything. :P

But I have some things on my mind. I've looked through almost this entire thread, but I have to stop cuz my eyes are starting to burn. So sorry if these kinds of questions have already been asked...

I am thinking of making either his diamond or triangle coat... or both. :X What materials should I use? I have a tendency to want to make everything out of suede. XD I'm thinking the lining should be satin, but I'm not sure what to use for the rest of it... And what about the shirt/pants? Suggestions?

Hanyaan
12-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Hey there Lolichan! Welcome to the club of those who probably shouldn't cosplay Howl but do it anyway! You'll fit right in with me, kissu~

Materials...well, it completely depends. I'm a book-centric fan so I like to use book materials, which is mostly silk and other ridiculously expensive things. Ahaha. Faux suede could work really well, although quilting if you do the diamond coat with suede would be relatively infuriating. And while satin looks gorgeous for the lining, it'll fall off your shoulders. This is why little gold safety pins will be your friend. You definitely need something with weight to it, though. The way it flows implies that there's some serious stiffness at points.

As for pants, you have to decide. Do you want them as tight as Howl wears them, or not? If you want them tight, please, don't be an idiot like I was a month ago and make them out of something overly lightweight (unless you like frayed bursting seams, of course).

I've attached a reference picture that should help a bit with the shirt. Yay artbooks, yay functional scanner. It should defnitely be some cotton with body though. Broadcloth would be too wrinkly and prone to failing at life.

Adrienne
12-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Thank you!!! Aah!!! *saves pic* Yeah, I figured I'd probably have to pin the coat to my shoulders. XD LOL, anime physics

Hyrules_Heir
12-02-2005, 02:40 PM
The yellow dress and hat that sophie wears at the happy ever after ending. Does anyone have a few good reference photos of that or scans that they can share? :whimper: ;_; Pwease?

Hanyaan
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
The yellow dress and hat that sophie wears at the happy ever after ending. Does anyone have a few good reference photos of that or scans that they can share? :whimper: ;_; Pwease?
Here you go, screencaps fresh off my DVD. Also, I couldn't manage to get a pic of it, but when her dress flutters, she has a white petticoat with a white ruffle on underneath.

phantomthief
12-02-2005, 04:37 PM
I am just realizing that I have a wig that would work perfectly for white-hair Sophie XD Short wig with a tinge of grey >.> Must take pics :D

~Ari-chan

Hyrules_Heir
12-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Here you go, screencaps fresh off my DVD. Also, I couldn't manage to get a pic of it, but when her dress flutters, she has a white petticoat with a white ruffle on underneath.
<333333 thank you!!! :clings to leg:

Hanyaan
12-03-2005, 01:08 AM
No prob. :D

I got the Japanese DVD quite recently, so if anybody else wants screencaps that don't come from cam copies and have guesstimated adjusted color, just ask here and I'll get it.

Hyrules_Heir
12-03-2005, 01:29 AM
No prob. :D

I got the Japanese DVD quite recently, so if anybody else wants screencaps that don't come from cam copies and have guesstimated adjusted color, just ask here and I'll get it.
I got mine off of ebay as well from a seller in new york who got his copies from japan! Great cover art even though my japanese is a bit rusty and can't really read the back too well. I looooove the movie and have read the book so many times. XD The two pictures you got me were very good and even showed her boots to detail. ^.^ Just wish victorian style boots were easier to find these days. :pout:

ll blackat ll
12-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Yay! More HMC cosplay! I was going to do my Howl costume for Anime South this year, but finances kept me from attending this year. ::sniffles:: But I do want to try and have my Howl (Blonde Version) costume done early next year sometime....so maybe I could wear it to Numa Rei-No Con, when and if it gets rescheduled, the first day. <3

Hyrules_Heir
12-07-2005, 03:25 AM
:Chants: Howl's Howl's give me more howl's XD

PikminLink
03-13-2006, 01:28 AM
*pours potion and awakens the thread*

i just made a Howl (diamond coat of hell) hes not finished...still needs work. but so far i like it^^. except the wig seems too thick.
i have a pic in my gallery ^_^

Beverly
03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Go PikminLink, bump that thread! =D

I've done my Sophie already ( See here! http://members.cosplay.com/costume/44360/ ), too, will be taking her to AO this weekend... further along will be at Anime Central and Anime Expo.

Hitori
03-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Beverly ~ Your Sophie is beyond cute, I'm loving it.

Pikmin ~ It looks pretty finished to mi! What's left?

I've made the Happy Ending Howl for the American movie release but I never wore it so now I am 90% done w/ the Sophie, and the both of them will see con time at Fanime ^_^

Hanyaan
03-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm remaking my Child Howl now, and finally doing the diamond coat version. A year of searching and I haven't found any silk that had the right color and weight and drape, even after my disasters with dying it myself, so I'm going to have to just console myself with making a book version at some point. I also accidentally picked up perfect fabric for the military version shirt. D: Why do I keep doing this to myself? I have enough costumes to sew!

But hot damn, there's been some seriously wonderful HMC stuff lately! *looks in PikminLink and Beverly and Hitori's general directions, as well as Lolichan and everybody else!*

Keep it up everybody!

PikminLink
03-15-2006, 12:34 PM
Beverly: yay for HMC at AO!

Hitori: well i have to fix up the lining...for some reason i ran into a problem on it and didnt have time to fix it. I also got a new wig for him yesterday...one thats not so thick....the pants still need to be taken down, you can still kinda tell they were duo's pilot pants.

Rosieal
06-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Reviving an old thread. Any ideas on the diamond detail on his pink coat? Would hemming it on the fabrc (I am using suede) be better than sewing it on?

reuelreuel
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I know this thread is old... but I was wondering if anyone had good pics of the military version of Howl. I'm currently starting it up and I need some reference pics :]

Any help will be greatly appreciated~

laamberry
07-18-2007, 12:15 AM
gahh! where did this thread go?! *bump for great GREAT justice!*

i'm planning on making the checkered outfit from the begining of the film, keeping accurate as a can except for onnnnneee thing; i'm switching the colors to Blue and Silver. a nod to the book, you know? i figure it'll still be recognizable and also a little extra for those who have read the book...is it too much?

reuelreuel
08-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, I made my Howl costume for Comic-Con 2007. View my gallery if you wanna see it~

ShadowGalactica
08-07-2007, 10:25 PM
If anyone knows, where can I find a pattern for sophie's first dress?

Crystalike
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
Can I reference pictures for normal Howl? (blue hair, white shirt, black pants). I have a wig I must cut, the earrings, pants, shoes, contacts, and need to make the shirt but I need pics! ^_^

TifaLockhart87
11-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Can anybody suggest a good pattern for Sophie's blue dress and apron?? I want to cosplay her.

ShadowGalactica
11-13-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm still looking for one :-(