PDA

View Full Version : Hiding long hair under a shorthaired wig

Yousei
12-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Last summer, I bought a shorthaired wig. I made a wig cap out of some old panties, but my hair always gathers at some place on my head. That makes me look rather silly. (O.o;) How can I distribute the hair evenly? Also there's alsways some hair sticking out under the wig. How do I have to paint this, without damaging it? Please help.

mandichan
12-21-2002, 10:10 AM
Ah~ I always have this same problem ~o~ Here's what I do..

First I put my hair in 2 braids. Then I wrap them over my head (so they cross in the back) and clip them on the top of my head (with those thick clips). It still puffs up the wig a little, but its the only way I've found to fit all my hair under a little wig @_@

Hope you understood that, lol ^_^ Um, I guess that wasn't explained well, here's a crappy drawing of how to do it.. ^_^;;;

Koumori
12-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Put your hair up in pin curls. Grab a section, twist it until it starts to curl back on itself, then pin the curl flat to your head with two bobby pins in an X for security. This will get your hair as flat to your head as possible.

mandichan
12-21-2002, 10:13 AM
Ahh the attachement didn't work ~o~ One second...

sailor-moon
12-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by mandichan
Ahh the attachement didn't work ~o~ One second...

^o^ thats what i do!! ^o^ kinda, i have hair down to my waist, its hard getting all that hair under a SM wig-.- good luck getting your hair under you wig!!!

Yousei
12-21-2002, 11:08 AM
Thank you all so much! I'm going to try both tips next time I'm in my room in Nijmegen (that's where the wig is). (^.-) By the way, the drawing for the braids tip is really kawaii!

Rosiel
12-21-2002, 12:28 PM
I used the two braids system for a while (in a more Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi look since My hair wraps more than once around my head X__X) and I noticed that it makes my head look big. X__X

So I now make one long braid and stuff it down the back of my clothes. But that only works with high-necked costumes. (that's how I hid my hair for my dragonslayer costume)

I will try Koumori's trick, though... sounds promising!

Kurenai
12-21-2002, 12:34 PM
I do the braids thingie too...but I usually make 6 of them (4 if I'm in a hurry) and I do the same thing mandichan does, except I start with the back 2 and pin them up near the front, then the middle 2 in the middle, then the front 2 in the back.

It works pretty well, though I recommend using the funny-shaped hair pins (the ones that look like a skinny 'U') because they hold much better than bobby pins ^^;
<dork> You -will- end up looking like a little milkmaid, and if I'm in con-mood I like to dance around and sing "the sound of music." Nobody heard that. </dork>

P.S. Koumori--never tried pincurls...approx how much hair should you put into one so that it works the best?

Schu
12-21-2002, 01:55 PM
I always had someone put two french-style braids down the back of my head, then tuck them under the the braid, because it makes a little slot if you do it neatly, then hairspray, bobby pin, and put on a wig cap.

Koumori
12-21-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Kurenai

P.S. Koumori--never tried pincurls...approx how much hair should you put into one so that it works the best?

Depends on how thick your hair is... mine's pretty thin, so I can grab a good-sized hunk. But the idea is to pin it down flat to your head, so I'd say experiment so that you know how much you can grab before it ends up making your head lumpy. :)

Kurenai
12-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Awesome! Thankie ^_^

katrinastrife
12-21-2002, 11:44 PM
I usually make a french braid until the nape of my neck, and then make 6 or so other little braids and crisscross them around my head, and pin it to heck and back with bobby pins. I get my mom's help, tho. She said it looks like a cross between a cute hairstyle for a formal, and the pinhead guy from hellraiser ^^;;

I didn't use a wig tho, I was trying to put it under my Tin Nyanko Hat...

videogirlc
12-22-2002, 02:02 AM
I just braid it and pin it to my hair. It's still hard to hide under the wigcap because it's so thick and long.

Rosieal
12-22-2002, 11:57 AM
If you are in a hurry, you may use a hair net, similar to those used in equestrian. You may also use a thin swimming cap, preferably flesh colored. My hair is long, thick and wavy and when I try my mother's wigs on (sshhhh...), I usually put my horseback-riding hair net first and then putting the short wig tightly after that. If you want to make it really flat though, something similar to a swimming cap might work. You know those things they use to make someone look bald?

Tamoko
12-22-2002, 01:45 PM
o.o; if i was going to wear wighs whenever i cosplayed.. i mean ALWAYS wear a wig, i would just get a short haircut that looks good on me.. o.o; but thats only if you cosplay enfough.. n_n; it'd be new, cute, and not a big hassel when cosplaying! whaha!

Karisu-sama
12-25-2002, 01:35 AM
If your hair is really fine, (speaking from experience here) one braid works great, just looped into a flat coil on the back of the head and pinned down. The very slight extra thickness at the back doesn't really show like braids on the side of the head do. (Then wig cap.)

Ain't cutting my nice long hair fer nothin'... ;) And I have plenty of boy-short wigs.

Shi
12-26-2002, 09:38 PM
Usually, I pull it into a loose ponytail at the nape of my neck. Then I pull it to the front, letting the hair dangle towards my nose, and place the wig cap over my head. Finally, I split the dangling hair in two sections and tuck each to one side of my head towards my ears. This gived\s me a nice even surface and keeps the wig from being bumpy. It also reduces tangles and itching afterwards.

Hope that helps a bit.

Medellia
12-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Kurenai
It works pretty well, though I recommend using the funny-shaped hair pins (the ones that look like a skinny 'U') because they hold much better than bobby pins ^^;
[/B]

I have a package of those, but I can't figure out how they work 0_o I'm dumb, I know ^^; Can you explain?

Kurenai
12-28-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Medellia
I have a package of those, but I can't figure out how they work 0_o I'm dumb, I know ^^; Can you explain?

Hmm...if I'm pinning a piece of hair or securing it, I'll make sure I get some of the hair I'm securing along with some of the scalp hair in the pin, then I twist it up or down (depending on which direction it'll go) and it should stay put. It's okay if it bends, in fact I think it should to hold better (they're easy to twist back into shape after you're done) I'm not sure if that's the actual use, but it seems to work really well. I hope that helps ^^

peaseblossom
12-31-2002, 09:05 AM
When my hair was long, I'd kind of "corn row" it and then either tuck the braids at the nape of my neck or bring them back along th corn rows and pin. It works pretty well....but it's hard to corn row your own hair.

Galaxia
12-31-2002, 01:52 PM
I had my mom braid my hair, and I tucked the braid underneath and it worked out well.

Lita chan
05-25-2004, 04:43 AM
Yeah i have the long hair problem too. and in theatre we baid of pin the hair down and use panty hose midthigh part notted at the end for a wig cap. I want to cross play yuki but i bought a wig that'll doesn't have bangs acck and i need to make it gray, can anyone help me on this?

Lita chan

xie-chan
05-25-2004, 01:04 PM
There's a thread on dying wigs... It's kind of hard if it can be done.. it might be easier to just buy another wig in the right color.. As to giving it bangs, you could do that yourself or you could take it to a salon and see if they'll do it for you. Someone no doubtedly will.

I've heard that you can airbrush wigs, and it turns out REALLY well, but you can only do it in small segments at a time, let those dry, then do the next round of inch thick segments. I've also heard it's not worth the trouble. If it's a human hair wig, you should be able to dye it normally if you can find the right color I think.

But anyway, to the topic at hand.

Pin curls are really good, plus you get the added bonus of having fun curly hair when you take them down. I wouldn't use a lot of hair in a pin curl, otherwise they get pretty big. but maybe like width of a finger? Problem is, you will need help putting those up, and if you want to wear your hair down after you're done with your wig, it will take a while to get down. I wouldn't do this style if you were going to do another cosplay without a wig, or wanted to only cosplay a portion of the day.

However, if you have multiple costumes with multiple wigs, you could get away with wearing the pin curls all weekend (if you didn't mind not washing your hair for 2 days--just think of the end curlage)

I went to a panel at a con on hair and what they suggested (I asked ^_^x) was that you divide your hair into two braids (as suggested before) but as opposed to taking it to the top of your head and using big clips, they suggested slowly snaking it around your head and using bobby pins (in an X) to secure it in place every inch or so. This way, you can keep it closer to your head.

They also suggested starting on the outside and working symmetrically inward as if you start closer to the middle it gives you kind of a funny conical head. I suppose this one's also easier to put up and take down than pin curls to :)

I tried to make a drawing, but it's one of my 5 minute MSPaint jobs, so use a lot of imagination

Miyabi-
05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
The braid coiled around your head works even better if you wet it beforehand, comb some gel through and then braid it...no flyaways and you have pretty curly hair afterwards! :-)

Sarcasm-hime
05-25-2004, 08:43 PM
I usually french-braid and coil the braids flat on my skull and pin them there (my hair is knee-length). I used to do pin-curls but my hair is so long that I'd have to do at least two pin-curls for each chunk of hair.

JennyBunny
05-26-2004, 01:39 AM
i have hair to the small of my back, and waht i usually do that i find works better thant he 2 braid method is 4 buns around my head. first divide your hair in a aprt, like you would for pigtales...then part each of those horizontally so you have 4 sections..then take each section and coil it in a flat bun. this distributes the hair evenly, without adding too much size to my head, or makign the wig look bumpy. it's waht i did for my miss deep wig (posted to my gallery) and that was a chin length wig....

Kurenai
05-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I have found that after cutting my hair from waist-length to shoulder-length, it has actually been harder to get it all under a wig because of the volume.. braids are thicker (keeping them flat is not as effective; pins don't stay in as well as they did before). Pantyhose wig-cap doesn't do much to flatten it out, but does create a nice headache ^^ Any suggestions?

xie-chan
05-26-2004, 02:03 PM
I'd buy a wig cap at a beauty supply store, they're not that expensive really. Also, keep it on the foam head or whatever you use to keep your wig on. That helps stretch it out.. It's like if you don't stretch the wig first.

It should fit better and be more comfy that way ^-^x

The four bun thing might work well. However, does that stay in place as well as something braided would?

Videl-chan
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
How do you keep the little baby hairs that stick out from the wig that are near your ears or neck?

xie-chan
06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
vaseline or something similiar to keep them slicked up should work.

I think that's what I've been told. Or if you hair's not drastically different from or complement to the wig, it should be fine as is.

Sarcasm-hime
06-07-2004, 02:54 PM

Bobbypins hold things in place by opening and then closing completely--that's why if a bobbypin is stretched so it doesn't close anymore, it's useless.

Hairpins, on the other hand, work by using opposing forces. To use them, you insert them into the edge of the thing you're trying to hold in place (like a braid or bun), then THROUGH that into the hair below (the hair on your scalp), then BACK up into the braid or bun. The braid or bun is pulling one way, while the scalp hair is pulling another way -- these opposing forces are what holds the hairpin in place. You have to make sure you catch both layers of hair (the braid/bun and scalp hair) or the hairpin won't work.

Videl-chan
06-07-2004, 08:24 PM
vaseline or something similiar to keep them slicked up should work.

I think that's what I've been told. Or if you hair's not drastically different from or complement to the wig, it should be fine as is.

well i have pitch black hair and my wig is blond... =(

xie-chan
06-08-2004, 12:55 PM
Then try the vaseline thing. or use hairspray or something to keep them up while you put on the wig.

Also, using a wig cap should help.

Videl-chan
06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Then try the vaseline thing. or use hairspray or something to keep them up while you put on the wig.

Also, using a wig cap should help.

Un! Arigato!

Lil_Squishy
10-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi Hi

I have semi thick hair down to mid back. What i have been suggested to do *havent tried yet* is just braid your hair into multiple little braids so when you pin them to your scalp/and other hair it doesnt give a bunched or bumpy look under a wig cap (which you can get at sally's beauty supply store). The secure the wig cap on and then place the wig over that using a few bobby pins through the wigs scalp (this should not harm your wig as long as yorue careful) and then you can run aorund, shake your head and everythgin should stay in place and looking good.

Lily-chan
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
The way I learned was to get your hair wet, and make a ponytail at the bottom, and make as flat a bun as possible. (I have tons of flat bun experience thanks to ROTC.) If I ever get a chance, I'll make a doodle, but I doubt that will happen.

ayareinami*YAY*
11-25-2004, 12:00 PM
im doin a rei ayanami cos an whenever i do the braids thing my wig flares up in the back!!!! i saw some other methods while lookin through this forum that ill try, but if any one has a "wig flarey uppy in the back" proof method... thatd be great!!!
@(*.*)@ <=minky!!!!!!

Saiyan Princess
12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
wow this is such great advise. I'll have to try these techniques because I also have long hair and was worried it'd be almost impossible to hide all of it under a wig. Good to know it can be done ^_^

Artemis495
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
I had this same problem when I did my Susan Death costume, because my hair is waist/hip length and I had to get it under a wig that was styled back in a bun. I also knew I wouldn't have the time or the patience to do pin-curls. Fortunately, my hair is straight and very fine, so what I did was part it in the middle, dividing it into two large sections, like I was going to make pigtails. I wrapped them in opposite directions around my head (pulled the right section to the left around the back of my head, and vice versa) so they crossed above my forehead, and secured them with a bunch of hairpins (I suggest getting a fresh pack of them) around my hairline, adding pins wherever I saw a loose piece hanging down or stucking out and distributing the hair in back so I didn't have a sausage bulge at the base of my skull. Once everything was secure and fairly flat, I covered the whole operation with a wigcap. This may not work for you if you have thick or curly hair, but I found it was a quick and dirty way to hide one's hair if you're in a time crunch.