PDA

View Full Version : Bleach shinigami costume

Chris F
11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
After seeing the Bleach anime series, I thought I'd like to do a shinigami costume. I recognize the pants as "hakama," although Ichigo's don't appear to have the pleats in them. I'm not sure what the top garment is, though.According to some messages on
this web forum (http://www.bleachforums.com/showthread.php?t=334) the white is a keiogi, and the black a haori. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

skyblackcat
11-09-2004, 03:19 PM
hmmm....I alway thought haori weren't tucked in. It's definitly a gi.

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=45741

This is the bleach thread already started. It's got the entire shinigami outfit worked out.

wait.....which type of shinigami are you doing? Urahara is wearing a happi over a white gi, rukia and ichigo are wearing black gi over white gi...

Eleryth
11-09-2004, 06:11 PM
I believe a happi is a festival coat, usually; a haori is a more formal jacket. Are the armpits split or sewn shut?

Men DO wear full length kimono under their hakama. It doesn't have to be a short one - that's usually used for martial arts, and I believe it's a more recent thing. It's probably easier to make, and uses less fabric. A gi and a kimono aren't the same thing.

And if it's just a white bit showing along the collar and lining the sleeves, like, for example, Kenshin's top, that's not a "white gi". That's a juban, an under-kimono. They're to protect the kimono from sweat and the like. They used to be made of silk, but recently they're being made of cotton and polyester.

skyblackcat
11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
juban. ^_^ I learned a new word today!

I really can't tell the difference between a happi and haori...which one is Urahara wearing?

http://www.colorwalk.net/bleach/img/ch13_01.png

arella
11-09-2004, 07:46 PM
haori's are longer... like what the captains wear... on yahoo jp, they sell 'haori's for the captains...

Urahara looks like he's wearing a happi, but really, I don't think it matters much... more or lest the same...

Eleryth
11-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I can't tell for sure unless I see the armpits, but I'd guess a haori based on how I see the sleeves and the length is also right. If it's ever shown tied "shut" across the chest leaving a gap about 4-6 inches, then it's a haori for sure.

A happi is sewn shut all the way, while a haori is open in the armpits like a kimono. Happi sleeves are usually just really big, not shaped like a men's kimono sleeve is. It's also usually worn only for festivals; it's not something you'd wear around every day.

Happi are also usually quite brightly colored, with contrasting collars and big logos on the back. Men's haori are usually more subdued and formal. It might be a happi, though, if it's a character thing, you know? Just something that he does that is weird and "non-normal".

But it's also an anime, and they often wear untraditional traditional-looking clothing (such as kimono with contrasting collars).

Chris F
11-09-2004, 08:46 PM
To answer your question, Skyblackcat, I'll be doing the black Ichigo-style costume.

Thank you for explaining about the juban, Eleryth. I was totally confused on that. Since you mentioned Kenshin, I compared his clothes with Ichigo's. They're virtually identical, except for colors. I can't tell if Kenshin's hakama is divided or not, but Ichigo's is the divided type.

So, it would seem the shinigami "uniform" consists of a hakama and a gi, with a juban underneath.

EDIT: Oops, not a gi, a kimono!

Eleryth
11-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I personally consider it a kimono, not a gi.

This (http://images.google.ca/images?q=kendo+keikogi&hl=en) google search (for "kendo keikogi") brings up many good images of a gi. Yes, it's kendo, but the gym teacher here said all martial arts gi are basically the same (kendo, karate, judo, kyudo [but we're not totally sure on that one]).

Look at the sleeves. They're wrong. After thinking a bit, and talking to the teachers here, the gi always are sewn shut in the armpits like happi coats are. The sleeves are way too small (they don't have that extra flap of fabric). That flap would come in the way of doing martial arts, so it's not on there. They also don't look long enough to cover your legs in the slits of the hakama (but I can't tell, since the pictures don't show where the gi ends or how big slits in the hakama are).

Therefore, I believe he's not wearing a gi at all. It's a black kimono (which I think would be more suitable and more formal for something like a shinigami, ne?).

Also of note, is that it looks like the man in my kimono kitsuke book isn't wearing his kimono any shorter, and that the crotch of the hakama just lift up the kimono. I'm going to confirm this tonight with my kitsuke sensei, just to make sure that's how it really goes. Intersting, if so, because women usually tie their kimono shorter.

Daikon
07-25-2006, 07:25 AM
umm.. does anyone have a patteren for the juban and the black kimono
plus what material should i use?

Nicepants
07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
The tops used in bleach are actually hakamashita.
It's a special modified kimono that's been altered to wear properly with modern hakamas (older, traditional hakama could actually be worn with your average kimono, no problem). There are a few scenes in bleach, however, when you see the tops untucked, and they are clearly not complete kimonos.

jubans can vary, and are definately a good term to use for the white undershirt.

Urahara wears a Happi coat, cause a happi coat is traditionally worn by merchants, and are shorter. Haori's are what the captains wear (though, some wear a special, sleeveless kind that has a different name which I forget at the moment)

For material, I suggest something a bit thick cotton for the black portions, and something thin for the white. I've made 2 sets of shinigami outfits, and the thicker, almost canvas-like (but softer) materail I used for the second one was infinitely better.

Daikon
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
sooo ^_^ umm do you have patterns or step by step directions?

Nicepants
07-26-2006, 12:47 AM
try this
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5187/kimono.html