PDA

View Full Version : Question about cons / real fire with FMA costume?

.:M:.
12-01-2004, 11:07 PM
I'm planning to add real flames to my Roy Mustang
costume as that is all he can do.

My question is: is that ok in a con cosplay contest?

daguru
12-01-2004, 11:24 PM
3475960 out of 3475961 conventions would say no. I believe that hell would freeze over the day a hotel lets a bunch of crazy otaku burn down their building. They don't even allow proffesional pyrotechnics in. In, fact, I think it's kind of illegal unless if their is a fire marshal and an emergency fire curtain on the stage. Only really big drama theaters even have those.

Regency hotels were really only built to accomadate large business meetings and mergers. Off-hand, I don't know of any business conventions that included corporate exective juggling fire, or jumping through a hoop of fire, or just firing up the place. The only "fire" they use is when they FIRE people!

*crickets*
okay, im not funny

Zephyrs
12-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Like fire-fire?

If that's the case, that's definitely not going to be allowed.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
12-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Uh... I'm not sure.... It depends on which con you go to. I know that at Anime North and at the Canadian National Anime Expo they don't allow that...

.:M:.
12-01-2004, 11:32 PM
ok, then i have to forget about the real file... ^^U

avskull
12-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Fire encased in glass, just kidding ^_^

Karisu-sama
12-02-2004, 10:10 AM
No real fire. Just don't do it. You could get in a buttload of trouble.

But fake flames - go ahead. ^^

Dany
12-02-2004, 04:22 PM
I'd be echoing everyone else on the real flame bit. A big resounding "no way in Hades" due to a variety of reasons..safety, insurance, etc. Too many risks, too much expense to counter those risks, as none of us would like to see a re-occurance of anything similiar to the Great White concert a while back...

There are ways, however, that flame can be made to look "realish" but not be real. I keep thinking of those lamps I see at Spencer's and the like with the little light and fan on the orangey-gold fabric. Not sure if this will help much, but it's an idea of a "flame" that is actually safe and looks cool. A little more research and I could possibly come up with more.