PDA

View Full Version : SDCC 2005 and the latest Harry Potter Book

Dany
12-21-2004, 01:54 PM
So..the news is out. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is due to be released at midnight, July 16th!

This is right in the middle of ComicCon...

The temptation to bring out the Potterness on Saturday in celebration is really high.......

Akato
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM
So..the news is out. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is due to be released at midnight, July 16th!

This is right in the middle of ComicCon...

The temptation to bring out the Potterness on Saturday in celebration is really high.......
T.T Im so happy... to much time waiting..... T.T

Dany
12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, what I'm curious about is if I go to SDCC (it's still in the works presently, and with my impending trip to DragonCon this year, I'm not sure if I can really make it happen yet), whether there will be any contingents of people skipping out on the Eisners or something to go wait for their book..or to just go to the nearest bookstore and haunt them in costume.

...I'm worried though. My Lucius Malfoy costume takes an easy half-a-suitcase :(

Scarlett
12-24-2004, 07:15 AM
Oh, I'd much rather hang around a large bookstore for Harry Potter than go to ComicCon that day. I'm a huge Harry Potter freak.

Kokuu
12-24-2004, 02:25 PM
I'll probably start hanging around the bookstore around 8/9 o'clock pm -though that might be too late now. I waited around for book 4 starting at 9pm and I was first in line, though I'm sure it's a lot worse now. Anyone for a HP gathering at the nearest bookstore? I don't know if there's a bookstore being near the convention center, but there is a Borders and a B&N off of 8 at Mission Valley that if you don't have a car is accessable by the trolly. I'll have to do more driving downtown, since I'm not familiar with everything down there.

Update: There IS a B Dalton Booksellers less then a mile from the convention center. Anyone up for HP cosplay while waiting for book 6?

Dany
12-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Update: There IS a B Dalton Booksellers less then a mile from the convention center. Anyone up for HP cosplay while waiting for book 6?

If I go, I think this will be a resounding YES.

Unless for some crazy reason ComicCon makes it easy on us Potter-heads and gets some deal together for the book release so that you can get it at the convention itself. Afterall, I am lazy..especially in about six layers of clothes!

Bramblerose
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
This is slightly off-topic, but..

Last year, I just pre-ordered Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix from Amazon while all my friends stood outside a bookstore for hours. It arrives in the morning, on the release date.. You can pre-order it and and still go to Comic-Con!

I find it easier that way. XD

Scarlett
01-04-2005, 03:22 AM
That takes the fun out of it, though, Branblerose. :P

But, if I can get a Slytherin outfit ready in time, Kokuu, I'll be happy to join you. Though, during the day, I may be dressed as someone else.

Mandy Mitchell
01-11-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm bringing my Cho Chang costume to SDCC.

kelldar
01-12-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm bringing my Hermione! :)

Dany
01-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm bringing my Hermione! :)

Yay! :)

So far, my SDCC status is looking at "tentative". I'll likely not be arriving until Friday morning to reduce the amount of time I would need to miss at work...but I'd be in early enough to get into costume.

If the web fares on Southwest look as good as they have been, I don't see why I can't go..it's just hotel stuff that would need to be worked out (though there is an offer out there).

I'll know more as it gets closer to that time.

In the interim, I'm going to try to keep my eyes open on the bookstores to see if any events are going on. What would be REALLY neat is if a group of us could get together at the convention and then hit the bookstore en masse.

If I can't get there for some reason, I'll be happy to play Voldemort and work remotely ;)

Anna_Chan
01-27-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm getting my mommy to pre-order the newest Harry Potter for me online, 'cause I'll be in the Masquerade at about that time... ^.^ I hope everyone has fun hangin' around a bookstore!

Dany
01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I'm getting my mommy to pre-order the newest Harry Potter for me online, 'cause I'll be in the Masquerade at about that time... ^.^ I hope everyone has fun hangin' around a bookstore!

If you're going to be in the Masquerade, you shouldn't have to worry. The book is released at midnight on the 16th, which means all the "line party" stuff will happen on Friday evening of the 15th. That's the night of the Eisner awards, and unless you're really into those, you should have nothing to worry about.

But hey, the pre-order is not a bad thing. :)

..and Hooray for you being in the Masquerade! Someone is going to really REALLY have to twist my arm with something tempting for me to go up there this year. I'll be saving my energy for DragonCon this season.

ETA: For the Masquerade. Being at the Con itself is looking up, but I may only be there Friday-Sunday.

Anna_Chan
01-28-2005, 08:31 AM
That's good, but yeah, I don't much like lines... Except when it's for an amusement park ride or something like that... But hey, Life is made up of lines, and I gotta deal with 'em!

BTW: Masquerade 2005: Ryo-Ohki!! (no more details)

grandis
01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I should have a new Slytherin suit with me, PoA version.

Catherine

Rogue_Granger
02-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Ok, I'm there....so does anyone know which bookstore we're going to? (guess this means I'll have to buy that time turner for my hermione costume ;)

Scarlett
02-06-2005, 02:54 PM
That's a great question. x_X Which bookstore are we going to? Oy, looks like I'm going to have to make a Slytherin costume. Bah.

ETA: I'll be making a Slytherin Quidditch Robe, with broom. ^^! w00t.

Yana_Neko
04-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey~ Reviving the topic!

My friends and I were going to search for the closest Barnes & Noble to the convention center, pre-order them from there, and stand in line.

For Order of the Phoenix, my friends and I pre-ordered our books at the nearest B&N to Fanime and we cosplayed and stood in line. I felt quite proud to have all the Fanime people come and caress my book when I came back with it in hand.

I am going to cosplay Draco and my friend will be Dean Thomas. I am sure we will have a couple more people involved - perhaps a Sirius Black, Hermione, Harry Potter, random Gryffindor student, and random Hufflepuff student. Combined, we'd all have a decent cosplayer turnout, I'm sure.

So shall we go based on proximity?

PikminLink
04-26-2005, 08:56 PM
ill be taking Harry Potter with me, both my 3rd year muggle, and my 1st/2nd year uniform.
Im not sure if i will be able to go to the bookstore though..its not that important for me to go buy the book right away..but it would be fun to hang out with some friends at the store ^^

Mandy: do you still want to wear Cho with me?

Dany
04-27-2005, 03:45 PM
My potental roomie for SDCC had an actual location for a store very close to the Con, but my memory is not serving well as to what flavor of bookstore it was.

I'm still in a sense of limbo about going right now...finances and such really dictate, and I want to go, but if it looks to interfere with DragonCon, I can't. However...I am more than happy to keep my ears to the ground until I'm sure it can't happen.

Mandy Mitchell
04-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Yes, I definitely want to cosplay as Cho with you. :bigtu: I'm going to be at SDCC at all four days this year! I'm thinking that Saturday afternoon might be a good time.

Akato
04-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Im going to comic con as Hermione!! see ya all there!!

PikminLink
04-30-2005, 01:47 AM
Yes, I definitely want to cosplay as Cho with you. :bigtu: I'm going to be at SDCC at all four days this year! I'm thinking that Saturday afternoon might be a good time.

wheeee *clings* ...which version do you have? I don have the new robe/outfit yet..but i might have time to make it for comic con ...im fine with whenever..i think im also there the whole time ...^_^

Mandy Mitchell
04-30-2005, 02:48 PM
I have the PoA version just so it can coincide with the release of the Goblet of Fire movie. It only took me five days to make the robe. But I had to make a second one because I forgot to match the color of the lining to the color of the tie. Doh! The pictures in my gallery are of the second robe. I'm not planning on bringing my sweater nor scarf to Comic Con. It'll get way too hot!

Dany
06-08-2005, 01:22 PM
OK, a slight update here..

Per a friend of mine, there is a Borders in the Gaslight that could be easily paraded to, as it were, for those who are interested in the idea.

How's the idea of an 8PM meet at the convention site and then migrating over for those interested? Obviously this is flexible, but I'm throwing it out there as a 'to think about' thing.

FaireGoddess
06-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Ah, good to see there's already a post for this.. Now I don't have to make a new one. XD

Sounds good, Dany, though I'd tend to make the time a bit earlier, just to account for those of us (*cough*) who tend to run late, no matter what. 7 or 7:30 perhaps? I'll be there in all my Madam Pomfrey glory. :D

Mandy Mitchell
06-09-2005, 12:39 AM
OK, a slight update here..

Per a friend of mine, there is a Borders in the Gaslight that could be easily paraded to, as it were, for those who are interested in the idea.

How's the idea of an 8PM meet at the convention site and then migrating over for those interested? Obviously this is flexible, but I'm throwing it out there as a 'to think about' thing.

Well, I guess if it's at night, I'll bring my sweater and scarf anyways. I just probably won't be wearing them during the day. Yeah, the Borders thing sounds like a great idea. I think I would also like to inform cosplayers at the LJ hp_costuming forums about this event.

Dany
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
FaireGoddess: That sounds like it might work, especially since with enough people in full costume gathered at one spot, it could cause what I call 'rock star delay' :) . So we say...7-7:30 for gathering and an 8ish departure then?

Mandy: That could definitely work. I'm signed on to that LJ, but you'll likely beat me to the punch :)

As for a meeting point...there's a Starbucks in the convention hall, perhaps we could meet near that? Or is there a better, more obvious landmark?

Rogue Marvel
06-09-2005, 12:00 PM
I would love to go but I don't have an HP costume and will have the problem of having to get up very early the next day to start moving masqurade stuff to the con center early (our group has alot of stuff)

Hope you guys have fun

Dany
06-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Rogue: I say costuming is optional, personally, but I see you on the Masquerade and totally understand. I've got makeup and stuff I have to do before it and it's gonna be a pain in the bootie, to say the least (I'm a stinkin' perfectionist!)

Rogue Marvel
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
oh yeah..i have tons of make up too. lucky I know someone who has tons of this water based stuff and she asures me it will take me less then an hour to do full body make up with it! I'll test it before hand to make sure but she said she had done it before

And I know I woldn't need an HP costume to join in the fun...I would just feel out of place with out one.

oh well I don't need to get the book during SDCCI I'll be too busy to read it anyway

Mandy Mitchell
06-09-2005, 06:15 PM
FaireGoddess: That sounds like it might work, especially since with enough people in full costume gathered at one spot, it could cause what I call 'rock star delay' :) . So we say...7-7:30 for gathering and an 8ish departure then?

Mandy: That could definitely work. I'm signed on to that LJ, but you'll likely beat me to the punch :)

As for a meeting point...there's a Starbucks in the convention hall, perhaps we could meet near that? Or is there a better, more obvious landmark?

I haven't gone to SDCC for four years so I don't remember all the landmarks. All I know is just the front of the convention center. :o Starbucks sounds like a good, visible landmark. Plus I love their coffee too.

kelldar
06-09-2005, 08:08 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! I'll have to see if I can make my friend pull out her old wizard costume so we can join you!

Scruffy Rebel
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Quick question, are most of you going to wear your costumes Friday all day and then stay up and go to the midnight party....or will you dress out for the party and then just wear it through all of Saturday?

I'll be in costume as Hermione....just not in San Diego ^^' I'm a new employee at the Barnes & Noble in Orange, and it's required for us to work the Midnight Party. And I'm helping them out by coming as Hermione for the kids ^^ So I get to take a train from SD to OC, party with the kids, then take a train back up to SD.......that's going to be interesting, urgh.

Anyway, I really want the chance to hang out with you other HP cosplayers, if even for a few moments, so I just wanted to see what day was the better chance of finding you all in costume.

~Oracle

Dany
06-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Quick question, are most of you going to wear your costumes Friday all day and then stay up and go to the midnight party....or will you dress out for the party and then just wear it through all of Saturday?
~Oracle

Actually, it's very possible that I will be in my Lotor costume for the earlier part of the day, then will switch to Narcissa in the later afternoon after dinner. Once the book is released, and I've had a little while to enjoy it, I'll go back to my hotel and get some amount of sleep before hopping up to be Jem on Saturday.

It's turning into an 80's toon weekend...

Hitori
06-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Ya~y, I now know for sure I will be there!
To clarify, because I am easily confused, meeting at 7.00? At an as yet undecided locale at the con?
As of now I have 4 HP costumes to choose from~ Snape, Voldemort, Draco, and Sirius. I shall have to think on who to bring *think*

Dany
06-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Ya~y, I now know for sure I will be there!
To clarify, because I am easily confused, meeting at 7.00? At an as yet undecided locale at the con?
As of now I have 4 HP costumes to choose from~ Snape, Voldemort, Draco, and Sirius. I shall have to think on who to bring *think*

Presently I'm thinking 7 PM at the Starbucks in the Convention Center. I'm trying to think roughly what hall it's by. If it's easier, it might be better to say Hall D or something like that.

Hee. Hall D for Dany. That could be kind of funny ;D

Besides, it won't be too hard to find a bunch of Hogwarts looking types.

*this is really making me wonder if I shouldn't bring Lucius...*

Hitori
06-14-2005, 12:49 PM
*this is really making me wonder if I shouldn't bring Lucius...*

Yes please k thanks.
No really, you know I loves your Lucius <3

Yana_Neko
06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Is this the Borders we will be going to?

Yahoo! Listing for Borders (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=11441027&ck=1051486879&tab=B2C&tcat=8292493&city=San+Diego&state=CA&zip=92101-7822&uzip=92101&country=us&msa=7320&cs=9&ed=2ZqBi6160SxNDcHVIrHtF1mf5wuFoatHscA1Pn84ul8N0V4 n3IcXXhzzxqGX.xB.diUkRBXGOg--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:20:fbT:0)

It seems to be the closest to the con center.

Dany
06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Is this the Borders we will be going to?

Yahoo! Listing for Borders (http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt=Typ&tuid=11441027&ck=1051486879&tab=B2C&tcat=8292493&city=San+Diego&state=CA&zip=92101-7822&uzip=92101&country=us&msa=7320&cs=9&ed=2ZqBi6160SxNDcHVIrHtF1mf5wuFoatHscA1Pn84ul8N0V4 n3IcXXhzzxqGX.xB.diUkRBXGOg--&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:20:fbT:0)

It seems to be the closest to the con center.

Chances are, yes. Whichever one is the one that's in close walking distance. :dance:

Yana_Neko
06-17-2005, 05:05 PM
They ARE taking pre-orders, so it would be wise to give them a call to secure your copy.

raevyn
06-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm honestly a bit sad that HP 6 is coming out in the middle of comic-con. I hope all the HP cosplayers aren't too overwhelming XD It should definitely be interesting to see what people come up with though :3

As for my time at Comic-con, it shall be dedicated to Comic-con, no HP line-waiting for me :D

Dany
06-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Actually, I don't plan on buying the book there. I'm just heading up the charge to raid the bookstore in costume. :)

But that's me, and I'm a geek that way..

Dany
07-07-2005, 01:11 PM
OK, Kids, here's the scoop!

Borders' Potter Party starts around 9PM. Here's the details on the location:

http://www.bordersstores.com/stores/store_pg.jsp?storeID=362

Realizing this, 7 PM might be a bit early to be meeting up together, so I'm suggesting we try for a little later...perhaps 8-8:30?

That should give everyone time to enjoy the convention (in another costume, even!), eat dinner, change if necessary, and come back to the site in time to party :).

As for location.... For the time being (because I can't find a link to a stinkin' MAP!!!) I am going to suggest the area around Hall D (for Dumbledore). This will likely be one of several entrances to the dealer's room (hehe, D for dealers!). If someone has a better idea, let me know, but for now, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Note: Borders is about a half-mile walk from the Con. Even at 8ish at night, it will possible be quite warm, so we will likely go at a slower pace to keep from overheating (and because Mrs. Malfoy strolls...she does not speed walk!). Feel free to bring a bottle of water and wear comfortable shoes...or if you are not up for walking, you are more than welcome to meet up with us when we arrive.

Now, next magic question: How will we find you?

I'll be dressed as a very Victorian Narcissa Malfoy, with green and white feathers in my hat (if I can make them stay). I'll try to arrive about 7:45 or so, give or take.

CHANGE!: During the day, I'll be dressed as Jem. Short description: Shiny and Pink!

Pictures of both costumes are in my gallery :)

OK, enough of this missive. Any questions, feel free to PM me. Due to preparations, I'm not checking the site as regularly, but PMs ping my email, which I am currently far more on top of.

SCLNeptune
07-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Is there a borders book or a barns and noble close to San Deigo Comic Con at all? Or are they going to be selling the book int he SDCC dealers hall?

AnimeGamer
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Is there a borders book or a barns and noble close to San Deigo Comic Con at all? Or are they going to be selling the book int he SDCC dealers hall?

I always pass by the Borders in Downtown. It's on 6th I believe, a few blocks from the Convention Center and the Ballpark. (I believe the southern end of the convention center should be *barely* visible.)

*EDIT* 6th and G Street. About five blocks from the convention center.

Dany
07-13-2005, 01:32 PM
The one I posted the link to is the closest Borders. There may be other stores, but I'm not sure what they are off hand or if they are doing any special events. We're invading a place that there is a known and schedule set of stuff :)

Dany
07-13-2005, 01:34 PM
FYI, my info post has changed a bit. I'll be wearing Jem in the daytime instead of Lotor!