PDA

View Full Version : Weight and Cosplay

MrRebel
01-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Hello friends... Ok, so here is my problem... I am over weight (not obese.. but pretty damn husky) Anyway i am going to cosplay at animeNEXT in june...... I know exactly the shirt and pants i will be wearing as well (geting it from an online shop, which has thousands in stock) But i want to lose weight before the convention.......

Now here is the question... Should i buy the shirt and pants now, jsut so i can have them..... Or should i wait as late as possible untill i lose the weight, and then buy it right before the convention?

chibi_kitsune
01-01-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm also just alittle over weight, but not that much so I just need to lose alittle weight. Anyways if your trying to lose weight I say wait awhile before you buy the shirt and pants because if you do wieght they might be too big and not fit right. I hope that helps abit.

Tenjou
01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
It depends on how much you're going to try to lose...

but I remember my mom told me once when dealing with fabric, it's better to order/sew/buy fabric big or more than you think you'll need as opposed to getting smaller than you need.

I think though, if the store has thousands in stock, then you can wait a little while. But don't order at the last possible minute if you need to alter some things on the items... then you might be mad at yourself for waiting so long and having a poor-quality costume that you could've spent more time on.

if that made any sense o_x;

Kunoichi Gurl
01-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Exactly what chibi_kistune said. If u get them now and lose weight over the time, when u try them on, they'll be too big and u won't be able to wear them.

lithiumflower
01-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Agreed; I would wait. If they have thousands in stock, what's really the rush? Just be sure not to wait too long before getting it. Maybe buy it a month or so before the convention?

Best of luck with loosing the weight that you wish to loose.

zaldebaran
01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
I would wait until about a month before the con, since your guaranteed to get them in time. Of course, if your loosing the weight for the costume itself, remember this; no one, not even the most beautiful and in shape, can look exactly like a video game or anime or what have you character. You're probably beautiful the way you are. But if this is what you really want, goodness knows I'm doing the same thing, good luck to you.

MrRebel
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
yeah well i mean i am losing weight as a motive to atleast look slightly liek the char (you dont see a fat revolver ocelot :-P) but i mean also for me... to make me feel better and feel more healthy.....

thanks for the advice guys, i didnt wanna buy something to soon becouse if i did lose wieght it might not have fit you know?

archangeli
01-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Don't buy things intending to lose weight. 90% of the time people do this and the items just sit in their closet. Wear what fits you NOW - and not what you may or may not be in 4 months ;)

nebbie
01-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Wait to buy it. I mean, if it's something you can buy at the store, it'll probably still be there come convention-time. :)

niphrodel
01-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Sometimes what I do is buy a pair of pants that are the size I want to get down to and make it my goal to be able to fit them by a certain time... maybe you could get the costume in the size you think you can manage by June, and use that as motivation? I know that every time I look at those size 0 pants in my closet i get an urge to go out an exersize^^ might be to risky though, considering if you don't reach your goal (or go too far!) it won't fit XD

wulfmune
01-02-2005, 01:11 AM
you can only lose so much weight in a certain amount of time and be healthy about it so i pretty much agree with the suggestion of getting the costume in whatever size you end up being a month or so before the con. really i don't think buying sizes too small in hopes of forcing yourself to fit in them is a good idea. everyone's metabolism and natural body type is different so i think it would be kind of...like punishing yourself O_o;;. trying to be more healthy and active, can be fun and make you feel more energetic with a positive outlook. imo losing weight should just be a side benefit.

Amy the Yu
01-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I would say it depends on how you are at sticking with actually losing the weight.

Best bet would be to wait a bit cause most people will want to lose weight, but not end up doing exactly what they want. Not always the person's fault, but life's unpredictable.

I always make my costumes about a size smaller than I am, but my weight can fluxuate 5 lbs in either direction in a single day. It's really not hard for me to lose 10 lbs in just 1 week and it's not unhealthy weight loss either.

avskull
01-02-2005, 02:04 AM
there "thousands in stock" so its better to be safe and not waste money on something you cant wear.

Natchan
01-02-2005, 05:07 AM
I think you should wait, just to be safe... thats what I'm doing.

kyandi-chan
01-02-2005, 05:21 AM
yaaah im having the same problem. i wanna get fit and into shape, so i cant start the costume that i have to have done by march. in fact, there are two of them! its very critical that i have lost the wait, otherwise, i'll end up wasting my time on such intricate cosplays...

and that would make me sad. waiting is good! or do something that you can easily alter without going insane from redoing it

MrRebel
01-02-2005, 09:24 AM
yeah see my major problem with my weight is that i have an incredibly slow matabalism... My sister can eat A massive meal at mc donalds and never gain a pound... If i have a big mac, before i know it, thats another 5 pounds for me....... I just really want to lose the weight, learn how to eat correctly and i think that cosplay will get me to that point, (not to mention it will be better for my acting if i become atleast a avrage size (so i can get a role or 2))

But eitherway,thank you all so much :)

AoKoneko
01-02-2005, 09:29 AM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=48570 check out this thread

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-02-2005, 12:57 PM
A fun way to lose weight is DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) ^^ It's a lot of fun and you also work up a sweat.

niphrodel
01-02-2005, 01:35 PM
lol katsuyuki that's so true! i should look into that XDD

dustbunny
01-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Wait. I made a costume awhilea ago and never wore it and when i did months later it didn't fit?

Serenity-chan
01-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Actually, I'm in the same spot. I was all the way up to a size 18 and I've never been that heavy in my life. Well, I've worked on it so that I'm down to a size 8/10 right now (you know, depending on the style of the clothes).

Well, I have to wait a bit longer before I do anything for my costumes too. I'm still loosing weight and am not sure when I'm going to level out. Once I figure out when that is, I might be able to do something. ^_^

<3's Just keep working on it.

TsukinoUsagi
01-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I wish you the best of luck!!! ^.^

NiGHTmaren
01-02-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm on the opposite end of things...I hate how THIN I am and how skinny I look in most pictures. >.< Been trying to gain weight but having had much success with that...=_= I do work out though to build more muscle mass, it's sort of working but not really...my body just refuses to put on or lose weight for some reason. I haven't gained or lost a pound in 6 years.

*~Hime no Toki~*

Neen
01-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, pretty much going with what some of the others have said. Its probably better to wait just a little while longer. Of course, you could order them now and then alter them of needed, but, I don't think it would be any problem to wait! :)

evil_pengin_uba
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Another fun way to exercise is Parapara. It may look really dumb, but it's really fun and you can keep at it for a while to work up your heartrate. You can find some Parapara at kirakira.com. I think. My friend burt me a disk with it on it, so I'm not totally sure... You could probably do a search, too. But have fun if you do try!

Another trick that I learned from my sister is to eat just a couple slices of cheese with a glass of milk to cure hunger when you don't want to eat a meal. It really helps with late-night hunger. That's when a lot of eating problems occur because all the food just sits there while you sleep. Cheese is good. Good luck and don't push yourself too hard! :3

chibi_kitsune
01-04-2005, 12:49 AM
About Parapara- that sounds really fun and interesting, I want to know more about it. Is it a game? Where can you buy it at?

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-04-2005, 12:56 AM
About Parapara- that sounds really fun and interesting, I want to know more about it. Is it a game? Where can you buy it at?
It's more of an Arcade game not really something you can buy and take home. Basically there are five arrows (Left, Top Left, Top, Top Right, and Right). You just swing your arms around and try to hit the incoming arrows at the right time. It's an actual dance that you can probably learn at Para Para workshops. I know that at Anime North we have them. Probably they'll have it at other conventions.

chibi_kitsune
01-04-2005, 12:58 AM
oh o.k. sounds cool.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-04-2005, 01:35 AM
oh o.k. sounds cool.
I personally like DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). It's a lot of fun and you work up a good sweat. There's a lot of feet-eye co-ordinating... but it's still a lot of fun. You can also play it at home if you have a PS2.

Amy the Yu
01-04-2005, 01:51 AM
It's more of an Arcade game not really something you can buy and take home. Basically there are five arrows (Left, Top Left, Top, Top Right, and Right). You just swing your arms around and try to hit the incoming arrows at the right time. It's an actual dance that you can probably learn at Para Para workshops. I know that at Anime North we have them. Probably they'll have it at other conventions.

Actually, they do have a home version. Like how DDR has the soft pads that are sold all over, Para Para have small sensors that you set up yourself. I have to say that for that game, I would think the home version would be better than the arcade version since you can set up the sensors whatever distance away from you that you please, so arm length doesn't become an issue and even kids can play.

Amy the Yu
01-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Another trick that I learned from my sister is to eat just a couple slices of cheese with a glass of milk to cure hunger when you don't want to eat a meal. It really helps with late-night hunger. That's when a lot of eating problems occur because all the food just sits there while you sleep. Cheese is good. Good luck and don't push yourself too hard! :3

Cheese is gooood. *120% cheese lover*

But isn't cheese really fattening? I would say eat some low fat yogurt or something.

Actually, if you really want to chow down and lose weight, eat plain celery. It's a fact that it's the only that takes more energy to digest than energy you get from digesting it.

I read about a year's worth of Science Times (from the New York Times) over the summer and there were tonnes and tonnes of articles about obesity and diets and stuff, all from the scientific perspective (even the thing about celery was in some articles).

I read so many of those articles that I actually started to count calories for fun. I lost weight reall fast counting calories cause if I over ate, eating something like 100 calories of food (half a pop tart) makes you feel like a pig just cause the numbers are so big.

It also made me subconsciously portion my food better, so I was eating like 200 cal for breakfast (a croissant), 500 cal for lunch (plate of pasta, even with fattening sauce), 500 cal for dinner and 200-300 for snacks (fruits or yogurt or the occasional ice cream bar).

I lost weight at approximately 2 lbs a week w/o noticing it at all. It was only cause I was about 200 cal less than my max. cal intake per day and getting minimal exercise walking around to save money on bus fare. Also, banging your head against a wall used 150 cal/hr. Good excercise for all those hours stuck in class or at work I say.

It takes 3500 cal to gain or lose 1 lb. To roughly figure out how much your daily cal intake would be to neither gain nor lose weight, take your weight in kg and multiply by 30.

Reading nutrition facts on food also helps you realize what things are healthier and less fattening, and you'd be surprised. I found out that eating a handful of veggie with ranch dip is actually MORE fattening than eating a serving of frozen spagetti.

NekoZero
01-04-2005, 02:13 AM
I lost some weight with DDR however I lent it to a friend, who conveniently moved after having it since May '04 and STILL Hasnt returned it T_T I have a slow metabolism as well, and since I'm diabetic it's even harder to lose weight @_@

I'm going to try that South Beach thing, though...my grandfather is a diabetic, and he went on it, it worked very well for him. about 7 lbs a week :O

chibi_kitsune
01-04-2005, 02:46 AM
I lost some weight with DDR however I lent it to a friend, who conveniently moved after having it since May '04 and STILL Hasnt returned it T_T I have a slow metabolism as well, and since I'm diabetic it's even harder to lose weight @_@

I'm going to try that South Beach thing, though...my grandfather is a diabetic, and he went on it, it worked very well for him. about 7 lbs a week :O

My dad is/was on the South Beach diet and it worked for him, I wouldn't do it cause i'm too picky when it comes to food and I wouldn't really find anything in there that I would like to eat. My Grandpa is also a diabetic I don't know what he does/eat but he seems pretty healthy. I have a very slow metabolism and i'm very active ( i'm abit lazy at times but i'm working on it) but it's this illness I have that made me abit heavier I think it had to do with stress and stuff but i'm starting to get better and I did lose a few pounds :) .

Eriol
01-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Determine how much weight you want to lose, and then determine if it is possible to lose that weight in the time given. You may need to see a doctor/nutritionist/personal trainer to see if such goals are a possible. Though, from reading articles and anecdotes, it seems that trying to lose more than 10% of your current weight is very hard.

While buying the clothing early may be a motivator for some people, it may turn out to be a waster of money for others. It is better to exercise for your own benefit. Anything else, such as being able to fit in the clothing you desire, is a bonus.

scandia
01-04-2005, 11:30 AM
How I lost my extra 5 pounds:

- Exercise! At least 20 minutes a day. Walking at the mall counts. Same for walking a lot at your job. DDR is fantastic.
- For restaurants, I prefer Subway and Sweet Tomatoes. At home I usually make myself a veggie burger for lunch. I have cereal with skim milk and a glass of juice for breakfast, as well as crackers with salsa for dinner.
- EAT BREAKFAST. EVERY DAY.
- Do NOT lie down after eating. No matter how sleepy you may feel. Always walk off large meals.
- Drink juice, skim milk, and tea rather than soda. I rarely ever drink alcohol, except for the occassional glass of wine.
- I like to jump around and fidget. It burns off its share of calories. I may have a slow metabolism, but it does help me stay trim.

Bobbi
01-04-2005, 11:58 AM
My goal is to loose 20 lbs by summer. I think I can do it. =) My goal weight loss is about 30-35 lbs by fall or the end of the year. I think it's pretty reasonable. That would put me at the weight I should be at. I'm working on loosing about 2-3 dress sizes too. Sofar I've lost 4 inches off my waist since the beginning of the year. Hurray!

Right now I just design my costumes for how I am at the moment. I can take them in, or just sell them if I can't take them in at all. *shrug* I just try to do the best I can with what I have at the moment.

AnimegirlParnaz
01-04-2005, 12:00 PM
My goal is to lose 5-10 lbs so I actually started running(which I hate) to stay fit. I also do 100 crunches everyday for my abs, since doing situps hurts my back and makes me dizzy. My diet I try not to eat fast food everday. I also cut back on eating rice(being persian, we eat rice all the time). I drink juice, water, and gatorade instead of soda. That's all I can think of right now.

666 to 777
01-04-2005, 08:32 PM
I must be the only one who wants to keep weight to be able to cosplat the Major from Hellsing. xD

Amy the Yu
01-04-2005, 08:39 PM
I must be the only one who wants to keep weight to be able to cosplat the Major from Hellsing. xD

I'm sure that there are a lot of people who are trying to put on weight and muscle to cosplay the big tougher characters.

Most cosplayers who are doing female characters are trying to fit into the super thin image to portray their character better.

There's also a huge number of people in general who are overweight, so the same problem would exist amongst many cosplayers.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
How I lost my extra 5 pounds:

- Exercise! At least 20 minutes a day. Walking at the mall counts. Same for walking a lot at your job. DDR is fantastic.
- For restaurants, I prefer Subway and Sweet Tomatoes. At home I usually make myself a veggie burger for lunch. I have cereal with skim milk and a glass of juice for breakfast, as well as crackers with salsa for dinner.
- EAT BREAKFAST. EVERY DAY.
- Do NOT lie down after eating. No matter how sleepy you may feel. Always walk off large meals.
- Drink juice, skim milk, and tea rather than soda. I rarely ever drink alcohol, except for the occassional glass of wine.
- I like to jump around and fidget. It burns off its share of calories. I may have a slow metabolism, but it does help me stay trim.

I love playing DDR and what's even better about it is that the more you play it, the better you get at it!... <.<... I usually go out for noodles or something... I don't really care where I eat. I just don't want to go by myself. ^^;;.. I also always skip breakfast... <.< I almost never eat breakfast because whenever I eat breakfast, especially cereal and milk, I always get a stomach ache. My stomach just can't handle eating breakfast. <.<.. It turns out that for me, losing weight can give you a feeling of accomplisment and sometimes a feeling of worry.

Amy the Yu
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I love playing DDR and what's even better about it is that the more you play it, the better you get at it!... <.<... I usually go out for noodles or something... I don't really care where I eat. I just don't want to go by myself. ^^;;.. I also always skip breakfast... <.< I almost never eat breakfast because whenever I eat breakfast, especially cereal and milk, I always get a stomach ache. My stomach just can't handle eating breakfast. <.<.. It turns out that for me, losing weight can give you a feeling of accomplisment and sometimes a feeling of worry.

Dude, you're like a stick. I don't think you'd really need to worry about something that would help you lose weight. Not unless you suddenly gain 50 lbs of fat...

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Dude, you're like a stick. I don't think you'd really need to worry about something that would help you lose weight. Not unless you suddenly gain 50 lbs of fat...

^^;; It's not gaining weight that I'm worried about... I'm worried about becoming underweight... <.<... Do I really look that thin... o.O?

Amy the Yu
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
^^;; It's not gaining weight that I'm worried about... I'm worried about becoming underweight... <.<... Do I really look that thin... o.O?

You do. I'll feed you fattening stuff this weekend. I'm good at feeding people. Practice to try to at least be true to my Asian instincts of feeding people as much as I can force down their throats even if the rest of me and my measley brain is whitewashed.

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
You do. I'll feed you fattening stuff this weekend. I'm good at feeding people. Practice to try to at least be true to my Asian instincts of feeding people as much as I can force down their throats even if the rest of me and my measley brain is whitewashed.

^^;;.. Although I may skip breakfast and sometimes eat a late lunch, I do eat a lot. <_<... I eat something whenever I feel like I want to eat something. I eat dinner late and sometimes I eat a snack or something in the middle of the night, especially over vacations or breaks. >.>... Sometimes I think I eat too much just to satisfy my stomach... TT.TT

scandia
01-05-2005, 10:06 AM
What's with people getting sick or sleepy if they eat breakfast? I don't even think I can exit through the front door if I don't- unless I'm headed to the doctor and have to fast. I have had students that were starved- I would tell them to eat something, they would say it made them sick. Doesn't have to be breakfast foods or even all that healthy. A donut is better than an empty stomach.

I love eating out so much, I don't mind doing it alone. Of course, it is more fun to have someone to eat with.

Another one of my weight loss tips, one that I am extremely proud of. Nix the meat! The dairy I could never ditch. And don't give up all meats suddenly. Just stopping eating mammals helped me ditch my extra pounds. All vegans I know are malnourished, so I do not recommend that at all.

Rick Tacular
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Whatever you all do, please don't go on a crash diet of any kind, or a "diet" of any kind. It has to be a change in life style. So start slowly and throttle back little by little, and not all at once so you don't psych yourself out to think that you're depriving yourself. Also, exercise, even if it means just getting out and walking for 10 minutes a day, get out there and just move around!

I've lost 70 lbs the past year doing this. It has to be slow to be permanent, at least in my opinion & experiences. Good luck! :)

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-05-2005, 11:16 AM
<.< I've skipped breakfast for years and I guess it's become a habit and my stomach's just not used to eating in the mornings anymore... I don't know... All I know is that I just can't eat breakfast.

chibi_kitsune
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
What's with people getting sick or sleepy if they eat breakfast? I don't even think I can exit through the front door if I don't- unless I'm headed to the doctor and have to fast. I have had students that were starved- I would tell them to eat something, they would say it made them sick. Doesn't have to be breakfast foods or even all that healthy. A donut is better than an empty stomach.

I love eating out so much, I don't mind doing it alone. Of course, it is more fun to have someone to eat with.

Another one of my weight loss tips, one that I am extremely proud of. Nix the meat! The dairy I could never ditch. And don't give up all meats suddenly. Just stopping eating mammals helped me ditch my extra pounds. All vegans I know are malnourished, so I do not recommend that at all.

I can't eat too much at all breakfast or not or I feel sick, my doctor told me to eat little thoughout the day instead of meals like six or more little healthy snacks but do eat something cause I also feel when I don't eat anything. I don't know why my body like that, it's been like that for awhile now cause I think the doctor told me alot of my health problem where do to stress.

Norelle
02-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Last year, I became anorexic and dropped around 40 pounds in a short period of maybe 3 or so months. Never ever let something like that happen to you because take it from someone who HAS had an eating disorder, it sucks. As long as you're dieting for health reasons alone, you should be fine. I recomend three-square meals per day which consist of about 350 calories each with a healthy snack or two inbetween when you're really hungry. Eat what you like, when you're hungry- and stop when you're full. Being on a diet is definatly one of the hardest things I've ever done, but it's well worth it in the end.