PDA

View Full Version : Spirited Away Cosplay Help Needed

zekitty
01-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Heya everyone! ^-^

I feel kind of weird asking this question, mainly because I can't really make up my mind about the practicality (I think that's the right word XD) of it...

My fiance and I really want to cosplay as these little fellers, but any ideas as to how have totally eluded us. I really want to go through with it, but a complete lack of ideas is causing me to think twice. I was considering dropping the whole idea completely, but I don't like the feeling of giving up and decided to just break the question to all you masterses out there :3

How would I cosplay these litte cuties? *oi oi oi!*

http://www.echoing.org/error/images/Oi_Heads.jpg

Midnight-Nin
01-02-2005, 12:38 AM
AH those guys!!! XD

Um, when you said you're gonna cosplay as them, do you mean like making a mask for your head? Or actually making a huge version of those 'heads' as a costume to cover your entire body? or something like these?

Waaah! Spirited Away RULES!! Haku :heart: :3

Appleseed42
01-02-2005, 01:04 AM
whoa...I can see where you'd be lost...if it were me I'd paint a face on an olive shirt and wear it with olive pants...

zekitty
01-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I like the shirt idea...! I know a few places that can print a picture of one of these guys on a shirt.

Midnight-Nin: I'm not exactly sure as to how I'm going to cosplay one of these guys, that's why I posted this thread! XD

Keep the ideas coming!

Sarcasm-hime
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
When we did a Spirited Away group, we were thinking of having these guys as puppets, manipulated by somebody in black. So if you're only doing them as a head, I'd make the head oversized and then wear something long and black and body-disguising underneath.

You could also make a costume that's basically all three heads in a column, that runs up your entire body. Like a totem pole ^_^ So one head would be on your head, the other 'head' would be around your middle, and the third would be around your feet. You wouldn't be able to walk very fast though.

nekomi-chan
01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Do you know anything about foam sculpture? I'm not talking about craft foam (though you could use that for the details), but polyurethane foam (carpet padding). Professional costumers and puppeteers use this material to make very large, soft creatures for theatre and sometimes cinema. I believe that some of the Jim Hensen creatures in Fraggle Rock and the old Muppets movies were made this way.

I was thinking you could use the foam to make a full-body "mascot-style" costume. You'd probably need to make an inner armature or wire frame to hold it to yourself, but all in all, the foamwork shouldn't be too difficult. Polyurethane foam puppets are a common elementary school project, so the stuff isn't hard to work with. ^__^;; BUT it would be time-consuming and perhaps complicated to design.

I have an article and some pictures on using this method, and it really turns out some fantastic results. I'll try to look for that info for you when I get home and have access to my laptop. ^^;;