PDA

View Full Version : Tsubasa/xxxHOLIC Costume Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Mystic Blossom
01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Didn't see one, so I thought I'd start one, if that's ok with y'all.

Is anyone else planning or ever done Tsubasa/xxxHOLIC costumes? I'm doing Yuuko's kimono from the cover of volume one. Gonna have to make a fake obi, though ^^;;

I'd love to see what other cosplayers have done from the two series! Do share!

hikarilight
01-05-2005, 10:20 PM
*raises hand* I have! I have~ Tsubasa that is ^^ I've did Clow Syaoran and Koriyo Syaoran along with a lot more planned in the future.

Digital Blush
01-05-2005, 10:46 PM
i'm making princess sakura's casual princess dress ^^ for akon 16 weee

Amy the Yu
01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm doing insane version of Fai (Faye, Fye, whichever spelling you go with) for Otakon and CN Anime with Mokona plushie and staff and all. Gonna be super warm to wear in the summer, but I'll look good while I sweat half my weight. XD

My Ragnarok Online female monk cloak will be given sleeves and altered for pretty cosplay of Yukito.

Protodoll
01-05-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm doing insane version of Fai (Faye, Fye, whichever spelling you go with) for Otakon and CN Anime with Mokona plushie and staff and all. Gonna be super warm to wear in the summer, but I'll look good while I sweat half my weight. XD
Wow! Those are going to be cool. :D
Someday I wanna do Yuko's beaded dress form the front cover of vol. 3, but I've never actually worked with beads before, so I'm not sure that I can.

Lakari
01-05-2005, 11:23 PM
I've actually changed my mind about cosplaying as Dejiko and just going in Sakura's korean dress from that story arc =3. The color version and all that ^_^ if all goes well

Amy the Yu
01-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Someday I wanna do Yuko's beaded dress form the front cover of vol. 3, but I've never actually worked with beads before, so I'm not sure that I can.

That dress wouldn't be all that hard to make (just time consuming) since you can get beads already in strands, and that'll save tonnes of time on something like that.

The dress would probably end up heavy to wear though, but DANG, you'll definitely have some goood sense of presence amongst the crowds at a con. ^^

I keep getting told that if I MUST cosplay Tsubasa or XXXoholic, I should do Yuko since my bangs tend to vary from fluffy to straight cut and I have the long black hair deal. P-chan's also been talking about how cute I'd look with "CLAMP ear tails". And yet...of all the short banged, long black haired CLAMP characters, I end up deciding to cosplay 2 blondes. Even *I* don't see the logic in my choices.

Protodoll
01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
That dress wouldn't be all that hard to make (just time consuming) since you can get beads already in strands, and that'll save tonnes of time on something like that.

The dress would probably end up heavy to wear though, but DANG, you'll definitely have some goood sense of presence amongst the crowds at a con. ^^

I keep getting told that if I MUST cosplay Tsubasa or XXXoholic, I should do Yuko since my bangs tend to vary from fluffy to straight cut and I have the long black hair deal. P-chan's also been talking about how cute I'd look with "CLAMP ear tails". And yet...of all the short banged, long black haired CLAMP characters, I end up deciding to cosplay 2 blondes. Even *I* don't see the logic in my choices.

Oh yeah.... I completely forgot about pre-strung beads (not a word and I know it XD;; ) and had images of myself slaving away night and day threading beads on a string.
.. CLAMP "ear tails"?

Mystic Blossom
01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Found a pic of Yuuko's costume. I wish I had a bigger one, but I can't find it. Luckily, I have a big poster image of it that I found at Nekocon, so it's all good.

fubukicosplay
01-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I've made the male school uniform jacket for someone :) The same as the one Shaoran wore in Tsubasa. Here's the photo if anyone's interested.

http://tycho.cs.man.ac.uk/fubuki/catalog/male-jacket1.jpg

I have two reference photos of Yuuko's kimono, just uploaded them for you, hope this will help! :)

http://fubuki.852.net/temp/1071307815_0.jpg
http://fubuki.852.net/temp/0001.jpg

Her kimono is just a beautiful piece, especially the obi. It'd be great to see someone making it ^^ I'm really looking forward to it.

Mystic Blossom
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Ooo...big. Nice ^_^

Amy the Yu
01-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh yeah.... I completely forgot about pre-strung beads (not a word and I know it XD;; ) and had images of myself slaving away night and day threading beads on a string.
.. CLAMP "ear tails"?

You know how the long straight haired individuals will often have all their hair really long and straight cut bangs? And then they'd have these mid-chin length locks on either side of their face? (Yuko has them too) Originally a term I believe was for Aya's strange hairstyle from Weiss Kreuz, some people I know has been using it to describe the CLAMP bangs with mid-length locks.

SaiyenGirl
01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I made my friend her Tsubasa Sayoran cloak and helped her out with piecing together the outfit. Here's a pic of her.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=188246

She even cut the holes in the bottom of the cloak. ^______^ I'm so proud.

Chibi Ice Wolf
01-06-2005, 06:00 PM
.. CLAMP "ear tails"?

XD I just cut bangs and "ear tails" into my hair today - even though it's for my Puchiko cosplay - I feel so CLAMP-ish! Yay!

I was planning on doing Sakura's Clow princess dress but decided against it. It's going to be really popular next year, it changes just a little in every image, and it's just above my skilll level, period. I decided instead to redo my Cardcaptor Sakura manga costume. =p At least I won't run into other people in the same costume, and I like CCS better than TRC anyway. ^.^;;

I was thinking it would be fun to be Moro-dashi from xxxHolic, but Maru-dashi's costume is more difficult and I have no one to be her for me. T.T

hikarilight
01-06-2005, 06:38 PM
SaiyenGirl613: Lovely cloak~ <3~ I need to get to work on the more complicated Clow outfit for 2006 ^^;;

fubukicosplay: Lovely as well :D I'm going to work on that versions eventually ^^;;

DemonMiko
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm a 100% CLAMP fanatic! :bigtu: it's all good though. I wanted to do Yuko's and Clow's from this pic but since xxxHolic and Tsubasa will be skyrocketing in cosplays this year (i heard they were already gonna be animating xxxHolic in the sprin O.o? can anybody verify this?)

Here's the pic of what I wanna do but probably'll wait it out another year or two (or whenever I can find enough time :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/DemonMiko/holic014.jpg

Mystic Blossom
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I was thinking it would be fun to be Moro-dashi from xxxHolic, but Maru-dashi's costume is more difficult and I have no one to be her for me. T.T

If you lived anywhere near me, I would definitely try and make Maru-dashi for us to wear together. I love her outfit.

kiwi
01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
aw, yeah, Tsubasa cosplay ^^ I did Sakura's sort of Korean-y costume this past summer, and I'm going to be doing her princess one this spring. I should've reversed those because I have a feeling her main dress is going to be *everywhere* this con season, but oh well ^^;; It's a hard costume to do really well, so I'm trying my best to be one of the (presumably few >.<) people who get it right ^^; (We shall see how successful I am come March when it's done...)

Amy the Yu
01-06-2005, 10:00 PM
I figured that this year's going to get flooded by XXXoholic and Tsubasa cosplayers, so while doing a common character and costume, I'm going for an elaborate version to try to at least look a bit better and stand out of the crowds.

Tohma
01-07-2005, 12:29 AM
I'll actually be debuting my Fai costume at this years Katsucon ^_^ I finished the clothing aspect of it today and will begin work on the staff next week. I have pictures posted of pieces of the costume:

Inner coat clasps and belt:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=252429

Fai's shirt
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=253448

Outer coat
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=237390

I have various other shots of the outer coat in my gallery too ^^;;

I love this costume...I have yet to wear it in its entirity though. Probably wait for closer to Katsucon for that. I can't wait to though ^^ Hurray for Tsubasa cosplayers!

liddo-chan
01-07-2005, 03:30 AM
I really want to make Syaoran's first outfit in Tsubasa... I'm a little in love with him ;) Problem is, I just don't make a very good boy (I blame it on my cheekbones), and I'd want my Syaoran to be perfect! If I manage to find myself a fantastic Syaoran before Fanime, I'll be happy cosplaying Sakura instead. I think that'd be a little more convincing, but we'll see ^^

Amy the Yu
01-07-2005, 04:00 AM
I really want to make Syaoran's first outfit in Tsubasa... I'm a little in love with him ;) Problem is, I just don't make a very good boy (I blame it on my cheekbones), and I'd want my Syaoran to be perfect! If I manage to find myself a fantastic Syaoran before Fanime, I'll be happy cosplaying Sakura instead. I think that'd be a little more convincing, but we'll see ^^

That's alright. I make a horrific male, but still gonna give Fai and Yukito a shot this summer...even though I'm probably gonna look like a horrifying image of them and just end up telling people it's just a cool outfit and pray no one actually does a comparison. XD

Tohma
01-07-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure if I make a good looking boy or not o_o' I look so different in costume sometimes that its hard to tell. It doesn't really matter in my opinion though ^^ If you want to do a costume then just do it no matter how you look physically. All I have ever cosplayed are boys ^^;;

I'll see you at Otakon though, since I'll be going and bringing my Fai costume with me ^_^ Among a handful of other ones X_x...But I'll be walking around with a Kurogane so maybe we should have a little get-together ^_^

Now if only I could round up some Chiis .... >_>

Amy the Yu
01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure if I make a good looking boy or not o_o' I look so different in costume sometimes that its hard to tell. It doesn't really matter in my opinion though ^^ If you want to do a costume then just do it no matter how you look physically. All I have ever cosplayed are boys ^^;;

I'll see you at Otakon though, since I'll be going and bringing my Fai costume with me ^_^ Among a handful of other ones X_x...But I'll be walking around with a Kurogane so maybe we should have a little get-together ^_^

Now if only I could round up some Chiis .... >_>

I'll have staff and Mokona on hand...and if I can force my b/f into it (if he still has the right hair), he can do Sayoran with me if he doesn't think of something better. Would be useful if they made it into an anime that I can get him to watch, as getting him to read a manga's about as hard as getting him to read a textbook on off terms (while I'm the opposite and will devour any manga tossed my way...would explain the current 10 gigs of manga scanlations sitting in my harddrive).

We can start up a thread for Otakon later and see if everyone's guess is correct on a massive flood of Tsubasa and XXXoholic cosplayers. XD

I don't think the flood's gonna be as bad as say...Inu Yasha cosplayers in the last couple of years, but I would imagine that there would actually be more than 1 or 2 at each con now. ^^;;

I'm excited about seeing the cosplayers though. The outfits are so much more elaborate and cool looking than most other series.

hikarilight
01-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I doubt I make a good male but that hasn't stopped me from crossplaying XD

liddo-chan
01-07-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure if I make a good looking boy or not o_o' I look so different in costume sometimes that its hard to tell. It doesn't really matter in my opinion though ^^ If you want to do a costume then just do it no matter how you look physically.

Well, like I said earlier, I love Syaoran, and if I'm going to crossplay him, I'd want it to be really good. A lot of the joy I get out of cosplaying comes from my own appreciation of the end result. I want to be proud of each costume, and happy making and wearing each creation. In deciding which character to cosplay, I like to think about how I'd react if I saw myself dressed as ____ at a con--would *I* want to take a picture of/with me? If the answer is "yes," then I can start thinking about pattern and fabric, etc. ;)

Amy the Yu
01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Would it be a good idea for me to go for a wig that's a slightly darker blond for Faye? I don't think I can learn to master the art of make up (considering I've never attempted it before) by this summer, so I'd rather look nicer and not be so accurately pasty pale and super light blond.

SaiyenGirl
01-09-2005, 12:47 AM
Tohma: I'm excited to see your Fai costume up close at Katsucon. It was nice meeting you at Otakon 04 (my friends and I were the rabid group from the Jyuunishi challenge. I think our Ayame won.)

I kinda want to do a Tsubasa costume, but I haven't found a character that I look like yet. ::tear::

Mystic Blossom
01-10-2005, 03:38 PM
I just finished Yuuko's barrett yesterday! I'm so happy!

hikarilight
01-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Would it be a good idea for me to go for a wig that's a slightly darker blond for Faye? I don't think I can learn to master the art of make up (considering I've never attempted it before) by this summer, so I'd rather look nicer and not be so accurately pasty pale and super light blond.

I think that the wig should suit the person wearing it as well as try to be as accurate as possible. So if you think a darker blond would suit your face, then you should go for it ^^ Maybe try making highligts close to his hair in the manga? Just my two cents ^^

hikarilight
01-10-2005, 06:15 PM
I just finished Yuuko's barrett yesterday! I'm so happy!

The infamous butterfly~ I can't wait to see some pictures of it :D

Amy the Yu
01-10-2005, 08:40 PM
I think that the wig should suit the person wearing it as well as try to be as accurate as possible. So if you think a darker blond would suit your face, then you should go for it ^^ Maybe try making highligts close to his hair in the manga? Just my two cents ^^

I actually found a wig on Ebay that's absolutely perfect, even without any styling. It's going to be mine, I tell you, MINE!!!

hikarilight
01-10-2005, 09:09 PM
I actually found a wig on Ebay that's absolutely perfect, even without any styling. It's going to be mine, I tell you, MINE!!!

That's great to hear :D Can't wait to see it ^^

Poisonous Intent
01-10-2005, 09:18 PM
wow it's great to see so many Tsubasa cosplayers.. ^_^ I just finished my Sakura costume's last details..I hoping to premeire it a katsu or otakon so I can't say which version I did.

I know however my friend was having a bit of a problem with her Tomoyo hair ornamentation...does anyone know of a possible tutorial that would help etc?

Amy the Yu
01-10-2005, 09:22 PM
I know however my friend was having a bit of a problem with her Tomoyo hair ornamentation...does anyone know of a possible tutorial that would help etc?

Got a ref pic? If they're tryign to style it with their natural hair, I can probably figure out a method with my own hair since my hair's very similar. I also got tonnes of random hair accessories (including some really strange ones from China) and all that stuff from constantly cosplaying with my real hair and styling my own hair for formal events as opposed to hitting up a salon.

Poisonous Intent
01-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Got a ref pic? If they're tryign to style it with their natural hair, I can probably figure out a method with my own hair since my hair's very similar. I also got tonnes of random hair accessories (including some really strange ones from China) and all that stuff from constantly cosplaying with my real hair and styling my own hair for formal events as opposed to hitting up a salon.

She's using a wig though the wig is already styled to create the loops in tomoyo's hair. However this pic http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/tsubasa/tsubasa05a.jpg from the manga shows an excellent immage of the hair ornamentation.

Tohma
01-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Tohma: I'm excited to see your Fai costume up close at Katsucon. It was nice meeting you at Otakon 04 (my friends and I were the rabid group from the Jyuunishi challenge. I think our Ayame won.)

I kinda want to do a Tsubasa costume, but I haven't found a character that I look like yet. ::tear::

Can't wait to see you again! I remember you ^^ Definetly say hello when you see me! I'll be wearing Fai on Sunday.

Razzly
01-11-2005, 03:57 PM
hi^^
I wanna make a Mokona, but I have a little problem... I don't have any pattern to follow or customize... does anyone have one?

Amy the Yu
01-11-2005, 06:26 PM
hi^^
I wanna make a Mokona, but I have a little problem... I don't have any pattern to follow or customize... does anyone have one?

The Tsubasa Mokonas are available for sale, just at an insane price. If you don't mind the slightly larger in size-ness, you can get a Rayearth Mokona for quite cheap. I actually just got mines from the classified section for $15 (shipping included). Absolutely love him to bits, and even my anime friends think I'm nuts now cause I always carry around an apple for him. XD

Amy the Yu
01-13-2005, 01:34 AM
Well shit crap. I did a search out of boredom and found 2 really good cosplays of the version of Fai I was hoping to do for Otakon.

By my own personal cosplay preferences and stuff, after I see a costume done really well, I lose interest in doing the costume myself...so I'm dropping this Fai costume. I'm now in search of another cool looking Fai costume...maybe the more trench-coat like version of his outfit that he wears on the Tsubasa shitajiki of him and Chi, since everyone seems to cosplay the hooded version...probably cause that actually has more than 1 crappy ref pic.

Bah humbug...I feel kinda crappy for losing the costume, but the other two really were VERY well done, so there goes. Tsubasa picture galleries watch out cause here I come...

On the bright side, I'll be doing a Yuko cosplay for a V-day cosplay dance, and rewearing it the following week to Katsucon. Volume 1 chapter 3, the black strapless dress w/ all the fringe and the huge slit up one leg and the big seperate bell sleeves. Gonna need a heck of a lot of fringe for this one, but lucky for me, Fabricland's having a HUGE sale starting Monday, so I'll be taking advantages of all the low prices so I can afford this costume.

Anyone have an idea for the colour scheme? I'd rather go for something more toned down and elegant, not flashy like...bright red or something.

hikarilight
01-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Well shit crap. I did a search out of boredom and found 2 really good cosplays of the version of Fai I was hoping to do for Otakon.

By my own personal cosplay preferences and stuff, after I see a costume done really well, I lose interest in doing the costume myself...so I'm dropping this Fai costume. I'm now in search of another cool looking Fai costume...maybe the more trench-coat like version of his outfit that he wears on the Tsubasa shitajiki of him and Chi, since everyone seems to cosplay the hooded version...probably cause that actually has more than 1 crappy ref pic.

Bah humbug...I feel kinda crappy for losing the costume, but the other two really were VERY well done, so there goes. Tsubasa picture galleries watch out cause here I come...

On the bright side, I'll be doing a Yuko cosplay for a V-day cosplay dance, and rewearing it the following week to Katsucon. Volume 1 chapter 3, the black strapless dress w/ all the fringe and the huge slit up one leg and the big seperate bell sleeves. Gonna need a heck of a lot of fringe for this one, but lucky for me, Fabricland's having a HUGE sale starting Monday, so I'll be taking advantages of all the low prices so I can afford this costume.

Anyone have an idea for the colour scheme? I'd rather go for something more toned down and elegant, not flashy like...bright red or something.

Aww~ Too bad about Fye but I get like that at times, after I made it, I won't wear it again ^^;; But it's great to hear that Yuuko will be seen at the V dance :D As for the colour scheme, if you want elegant/toned down, I would say earth tones would do nicely ^^ If you're going to keep the black as black, maybe as nice beige would work?

Amy the Yu
01-13-2005, 05:49 PM
But it's great to hear that Yuuko will be seen at the V dance :D As for the colour scheme, if you want elegant/toned down, I would say earth tones would do nicely ^^ If you're going to keep the black as black, maybe as nice beige would work?

Yuko's coming around cause I decided right before leaving the house for cosplay bowling that my bangs are getting too long and annoying. I didn't have time to properly cut the fluffy bangs, so I just straight cut it all.

I was brushing my hair out 2 days ago and realized that if I cut two CLAMP eartails, I'd get to do a cosplay from one of the new series without a wig. YAY for no wig-ness...and a habit of cutting my own hair. XD

I'm gonna put myself to work reading as many volumes of XXXholic beyond the first 2 vols as possible in the next couple of days. Fabric shopping will be sometime next week, so I need to decide on a costume. Yuko will definitely be at the V Dance, but after looking around, I've found some other outfits that would be more appropriate for V-day. The only outfit I'm sure to NOT do is the space time witch dress...cause there are already many good versions of it out and about. I'm aiming for total obscurity...with only Mokona and the haircut to label me as a Yuko cosplayer and not some random girl in a big dress.

hikarilight
01-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Yuko's coming around cause I decided right before leaving the house for cosplay bowling that my bangs are getting too long and annoying. I didn't have time to properly cut the fluffy bangs, so I just straight cut it all.

I was brushing my hair out 2 days ago and realized that if I cut two CLAMP eartails, I'd get to do a cosplay from one of the new series without a wig. YAY for no wig-ness...and a habit of cutting my own hair. XD

I'm gonna put myself to work reading as many volumes of XXXholic beyond the first 2 vols as possible in the next couple of days. Fabric shopping will be sometime next week, so I need to decide on a costume. Yuko will definitely be at the V Dance, but after looking around, I've found some other outfits that would be more appropriate for V-day. The only outfit I'm sure to NOT do is the space time witch dress...cause there are already many good versions of it out and about. I'm aiming for total obscurity...with only Mokona and the haircut to label me as a Yuko cosplayer and not some random girl in a big dress.

No wigs are good, less hassle *nods* But you got to do what you got to do, right ^^

It would be nice to do one of the more rare dresses she has, no offense to the space time witch, that is nice too but it's getting overdone.

You don't need to worry, I'll know you're Yuuko ;)

Yunaura
01-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Does anyone have good reference pictures for the Sakura-Hime dress from the world where Princess Emeraude appears? I've seen one cosplayer make the dress somewhere, but I don't know how she got the pattern for the bodice, skirt or sleeves. She did a really good group cosplay with Syaoran, Tomoyo-Hime, and Yuuko in the Dimension Witch costume.

And yea, I also heard that there was going to be a realease of the anime series for Tsubasa in April and an OVA for XXXHolic somewhere around that time too. [TT_TT right before Fanime~~~...]

I'll look for those sites again....I have the pix but not the sites... -.-''''

Sarcasm-hime
01-15-2005, 02:49 AM

I know your pain. I feel the exact same way - if I see a costume done really well, I lose all interest in doing it. While frustrating, it does (slowly) reduce the number of costumes on my enormous to-do list.

As for the dress, you could go for something pale like greyish lavender or cream, or you could go mysterious and elegant like deep purple or burgundy, perhaps with a very subtle pattern. I think that would look awesome with the dangly black beads. ^_^

I'm tempted to do a Yuko costume myself, even though I know nothing about XXXholic or Tsubasa. I just like some of the designs. But I already have 5 million costumes on my to-do list so I don't know if it'll ever happen. :P Plus I'm not 10 feet tall (more like half that) like Yuko so the dresses would look very different on me...

What's also annoying is that I would feel dumb buying a really long black wig when I have hair the right length already....but it refuses to accept semipermanent dye (have tried to dye it black for costumes twice with no success). :P

Amy the Yu
01-16-2005, 01:32 AM
As for the dress, you could go for something pale like greyish lavender or cream, or you could go mysterious and elegant like deep purple or burgundy, perhaps with a very subtle pattern. I think that would look awesome with the dangly black beads. ^_^

I'm tempted to do a Yuko costume myself, even though I know nothing about XXXholic or Tsubasa. I just like some of the designs. But I already have 5 million costumes on my to-do list so I don't know if it'll ever happen. :P Plus I'm not 10 feet tall (more like half that) like Yuko so the dresses would look very different on me...

What's also annoying is that I would feel dumb buying a really long black wig when I have hair the right length already....but it refuses to accept semipermanent dye (have tried to dye it black for costumes twice with no success). :P

Deep purple sounds pretty...as does the subtle pattern part. Kinda like how Tsubasa colour pictures always have these super elaborate designs, but the outfits in the manga are pattern-less, so would be appropriate to take a manga outfit and add a pattern, too. XD

You look a lot taller in your pictures than you actually are. If you do Yuko, your pictures would probably look awesome, and she has so many outfits, I doubt more than a few people will actually recognise the character, so it'll be like...you in a really cool outfit. Wouldn't need to dye your hair or wear a wig either in that case (as it seems your hair is of the un-dyable varient).

Yunaura - Once my laptop isn't so fried anymore (and I get it back tomorrow evening), I can dig through my Tsubasa scanlations for the dress. There's actually a shitajiki of the colour art of Sakura in that dress. And as stated in above paragraph, colour has patterns, scanlation images don't, so would be nice if you can specify so I can ul only the necessary pictures and don't end up sitting and waiting for overly long to find out that you don't need half the pictures.

Mystic Blossom
01-16-2005, 04:19 PM
Sarcasm hime- I'm only five feet too. I have this nasty habit of cosplaying tall characters, even though I'm so short ^^;;

Sarcasm-hime
01-16-2005, 04:26 PM
LOL I think we all do it, because cosplay is about dressing up as something different from what you are normally. A lot of the tall cosplayers I know always want to cosplay as little kids, and the short ones like me want to cosplay as tall imposing characters. :P

Chibi Ice Wolf
01-16-2005, 04:33 PM
If you lived anywhere near me, I would definitely try and make Maru-dashi for us to wear together. I love her outfit.

That would be so awesome!! Yeah too bad T.T Everyone I talk to that would cosplay with me lives too far away!!

I can't wait to see all these cool xxxholic/Tsubasa cosplays at AX next year!! X3 I know there are going to be a lot, hopefully a broad range of characters and costumes will be represented.

liddo-chan
01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
LOL I think we all do it, because cosplay is about dressing up as something different from what you are normally. A lot of the tall cosplayers I know always want to cosplay as little kids, and the short ones like me want to cosplay as tall imposing characters. :P

Yeah, I'm 5'7" (though people tell me I "look taller"), and I'm always drawn to cute little characters, like Chiyo from Azumanga Daioh. I actually thought about making her penguin suit and walking around on my knees, but it sounded too tiring ;)

Tsubasa characters are actually a good height for me! ^^

Yunaura
01-16-2005, 09:26 PM
thnx Amy. well...i kinda mainly need ref pix the symbols on the dress because the lines seem to go every where....its the dress of when she's reaching out to Syaoran from a tree at night.

i only have this one pix as a reference... [view attachment]

Poisonous Intent
01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
thnx Amy. well...i kinda mainly need ref pix the symbols on the dress because the lines seem to go every where....its the dress of when she's reaching out to Syaoran from a tree at night.

ooh gourgeous choice, hopefully you'll upload many pics when the costume's done...however their isn't much more refrence pics than that, that are in color..unless you find b&w scans...however you can always as the cosplayer ,who posted pice up in c.com gallery, for permission to refrence the front and back versions pics of her gown... I found this pic http://www.vequinox.net/wallpaper/tsud1.jpg which is slightly more complete than the one you attached but I doubt that's going to help much...best option is to find really good b&w scans.

Amy the Yu
01-16-2005, 09:59 PM

The pictures with all the patterns are only on the colour pages that CLAMP did. Aside from that, the only other reference pictures are from the manga. Sometimes you can get lucky and they've done more than one image with the outfit (ie. Sakura's usual outfit), but with this one, you're out of luck. There's only one colour image of it (the one you have is a scan of the shitajiki w/ that image).

All the manga images of the dress are all just the bare plain dress, no patterns.

Chances are, the cosplayer that's done that dress with the patterns (I've seen it too), used some "artistic interpretations" with it and doodled up the rest of the patterns herself. Other than that, she might have used patterns from other sources in place of the parts that don't show.

Mystic Blossom
01-16-2005, 10:07 PM

Oh...wow...that's absolutely fantastic. If you make that, I will find a way to your house, ring your doorbell, glomp you, give you pocky, then run away.

Hanyaan
01-16-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm considering (aka: going to be) adding a Tsubasa cosplay to my 2005 lineup. I'm planning on Yukito, because OMFG TEH PRETTY, I love flowy robes, and staffs make me VERY happy.

Remind me again of how prettiful all the Tsubasa outfits are in a few months when I actually get started on the costume and the massive amounts of fabric make me want to cry.

Hitori
01-17-2005, 12:02 AM
*looks adoringly at Hanyaan Faery* You have made mi so happy <3
Touya is now officially on my lineup for 2005.
And I'll need the same encouragement @.@
Sometimes I envision CLAMP looking at their designs and laughing thinking of all us poor cosplayers.

DemonMiko
01-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Hitori - they probably make their outfits so intricate just for that purpose ^^ but you have to admit that they also give us cosplayers a good challenge ^^

BTW HanyaanFaery, do you (or anyone else) by any chance have Yukito's full or mostly full outfit in color? I have the manga images but no colored ones.

Hanyaan
01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Hitori sent me this, and I snatched it immediately.

Hitori
01-17-2005, 12:58 AM
I have a pencil board featuring Touya and Yukito from Tsubasa that I've not seen online (admittably, I haven't searched much), if you'd like that scanned DemonMiko.
It is, unfortunately, black and blue and not full colour though.

hikarilight
01-17-2005, 06:16 PM
HanyaanFaery: Yay~ A soon to be Yukito cosplayer~ I love the flowiness of his cloak as well :3

Hitori: A Touya cosplayer :D That would be so cool X3

Amy the Yu
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I have a pencil board featuring Touya and Yukito from Tsubasa that I've not seen online (admittably, I haven't searched much), if you'd like that scanned DemonMiko.
It is, unfortunately, black and blue and not full colour though.

Do you mean the one I attached?

It's one of a long line of Tsubasa shitajikis.

I got a sticker of the pretty image of Yukito about a year ago as a furoku with one of the anime mags I got on vacation. I took one look at it and burst out laughing. It looked so similar to the Ragnarok Online Female Monk costume that I'm working on. Just a few additions and even the wig gets to stay the same. XD

As Hikarilight already knows, once I'm done with my Female Monk costume at whatever con that finally gets worn to, that one's getting turned into Yukito's robe. I'm not taking the picture completely literally. Gonna do some "artistic interpretation" (I seem to be using that term a lot on this thread) and make giant bellowy sleves and all the other stuff detachable so I can wear it as either a costume, or as a cool ourfit.

DemonMiko
01-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Hitori, I would be forever indebted to you if you do scan it! =^^=

**hands you a box of pocky**

hikarilight
01-17-2005, 08:01 PM
As Hikarilight already knows, once I'm done with my Female Monk costume at whatever con that finally gets worn to, that one's getting turned into Yukito's robe. I'm not taking the picture completely literally. Gonna do some "artistic interpretation" (I seem to be using that term a lot on this thread) and make giant bellowy sleves and all the other stuff detachable so I can wear it as either a costume, or as a cool ourfit.

I can't wait to see the Yukito-ish robe~ Along with Female Monk~

Hitori
01-17-2005, 08:33 PM
Amy the Yu, yeah that's the pic. But here's a bigger one^_^

CCSakura
01-19-2005, 05:02 AM
hey
Me and my freinds are going to dress up as charecters from Tsubasa but there is a problem...we need to know how chii's dress looks like :S In the manga it's all black and white and we couldent find any pics on the web.. could you pleaseeeee help us?

--Lib

Amy the Yu
01-19-2005, 05:16 PM
hey
Me and my freinds are going to dress up as charecters from Tsubasa but there is a problem...we need to know how chii's dress looks like :S In the manga it's all black and white and we couldent find any pics on the web.. could you pleaseeeee help us?

--Lib

I said I'd give you pics and I'll deliver. There's also the shitajiki of Fye and Chi, but that's not actually colour, so I won't bother with it. (You can also easily find the image if you dig up the Tsubasa section on shitajiki.biz)

Pictures...actually the cover art for vol 7 of Tsubasa. Good ref pic of Chi's outfit in full colour, but I have to say...something's majorly off about her facial expression. -_-;;

First attachment is the actual cover. 2nd is the art for the cover.

CCSakura
01-20-2005, 01:22 AM
I said I'd give you pics and I'll deliver. There's also the shitajiki of Fye and Chi, but that's not actually colour, so I won't bother with it. (You can also easily find the image if you dig up the Tsubasa section on shitajiki.biz)

Pictures...actually the cover art for vol 7 of Tsubasa. Good ref pic of Chi's outfit in full colour, but I have to say...something's majorly off about her facial expression. -_-;;

First attachment is the actual cover. 2nd is the art for the cover.

O______O THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you helped us so much!!!!!! ^__________^ Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Er... Does anyone have an idea on how to make a gakuran for Watanuki from XXXHolic? ^^;;.. *is lost*... I've been meaning to make one...

hikarilight
01-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Er... Does anyone have an idea on how to make a gakuran for Watanuki from XXXHolic? ^^;;.. *is lost*... I've been meaning to make one...

It's basically a black button up shirt with a collar, as well as white bais tape. I think it's best if you either find a black shirt and modify it or look at similar shirts, buttons or not, and make your own pattern from that ^^

Amy the Yu
01-20-2005, 11:24 PM
It's basically a black button up shirt with a collar, as well as white bais tape. I think it's best if you either find a black shirt and modify it or look at similar shirts, buttons or not, and make your own pattern from that ^^

Watanuki's is actually different from that. You can't tell that they have 2 rows of buttons under the cleaning smock.

Acually, doing a bit of searching (mostly of posts made byEleryth, and she knows her stuff well) turns up that Gakurans are:

-made of a wool-polyester blend fabric w/ no texture (so don't try altering a shirt...it won't work and will look horrible. A suiting material would be much more appropriate)
-based on the British military, so Civil War uniform pattern was suggested for something similar to alter (I wouldn't know since I draft my own patterns)
-have 5 brass buttons up the front and close with 2 hooks and eyes (since we're going for traditional Gakuran...not Watanuki's school's edition)

And there's no white bias tape involved. Aside from the buttons, the jacket's all black. Any white you might have seen was probably from the lining of the collar showing.

Katsuyuki, I can probably help you with some aspects of it. If nothing else, I know these types of collars well. After two costumes w/ mandarin colars (and multiple attempts to get the first one right), I have them figured out pretty well for just about any shape and style.

For this, I don't think you need to go all out making it super accurate (with how lining goes in and stuff anyway) cause traditional gakurans aren't very good for summer weather. They're like suit jackets...too warm to wear once the weather's nice enough to go without.

I can help you with stuff whenever I'm around town if you want. If there's a source for a good poly/wool blend for this kind of thing, I might just buy some fabric and make one right along with you. ^^ I've always wanted a gakuran of my own. I love the way they look...but I love almost any nice looking semi-formal jackets.

hikarilight
01-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Watanuki's is actually different from that. You can't tell that they have 2 rows of buttons under the cleaning smock.

Acually, doing a bit of searching (mostly of posts made byEleryth, and she knows her stuff well) turns up that Gakurans are:

-made of a wool-polyester blend fabric w/ no texture (so don't try altering a shirt...it won't work and will look horrible. A suiting material would be much more appropriate)
-based on the British military, so Civil War uniform pattern was suggested for something similar to alter (I wouldn't know since I draft my own patterns)
-have 5 brass buttons up the front and close with 2 hooks and eyes (since we're going for traditional Gakuran...not Watanuki's school's edition)

And there's no white bias tape involved. Aside from the buttons, the jacket's all black. Any white you might have seen was probably from the lining of the collar showing.

It's true that altering a shirt would be bad, but doesn't it depend on which shirt they choose? But then again, either way it wouldn't work as well as it's suppose to, right?

Also, looking at volume 1 that I have, even though it's not techincally bias tape, there's white lining on the collar and the ends of the sleeves. I was thinking bias tape could be used for that, or trim or just plain fabric.

Just my two cents but gakurans are definitely harder than they look. The saying 'looks can be deceiving' is definitely true in this case ^^;;

archangeli
01-20-2005, 11:40 PM
A couple of weeks ago my bf talked me into cosplaying Yuko and Watanuki with him. We've chosen the inside cover art from vol. 1 of xxxHolic - the one where she's in the black and gold butterfly kimono. Since the artwork doesn't show too much of the finer details (obi, underlying layers) I'm taking a bit of artistic liberty and going all out in terms of fabric and little details.

Making the suit that Watanuki wears is going to be a nightmare for me.. I can sense that already.

However, I'm delighted to say that I found the perfect wig - it's a 22" jet black wig with bangs and it didn't cost me more than $50 (Cdn). I already have 2 packs of 3"long extensions that I am going to integrate into the wig to create her signature hairstyle.

Now what to do about footwear...

Katsuyuki_Shiro
01-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Katsuyuki, I can probably help you with some aspects of it. If nothing else, I know these types of collars well. After two costumes w/ mandarin colars (and multiple attempts to get the first one right), I have them figured out pretty well for just about any shape and style.

For this, I don't think you need to go all out making it super accurate (with how lining goes in and stuff anyway) cause traditional gakurans aren't very good for summer weather. They're like suit jackets...too warm to wear once the weather's nice enough to go without.

I can help you with stuff whenever I'm around town if you want. If there's a source for a good poly/wool blend for this kind of thing, I might just buy some fabric and make one right along with you. ^^ I've always wanted a gakuran of my own. I love the way they look...but I love almost any nice looking semi-formal jackets.

Sure ^^ That'll be a lot of help. We still have like... 3-4 more months until Anime North... I still have a few costumes to make but they should only take about 2 months to do to finish them all...

Can you give me a list of what kind of fabric I'd need for the gakuran? I might go to fabricland this Saturday just because apparantly I picked up the wrong kind of interfacing... =_=...

Amy the Yu
01-21-2005, 12:15 AM
A couple of weeks ago my bf talked me into cosplaying Yuko and Watanuki with him. We've chosen the inside cover art from vol. 1 of xxxHolic - the one where she's in the black and gold butterfly kimono. Since the artwork doesn't show too much of the finer details (obi, underlying layers) I'm taking a bit of artistic liberty and going all out in terms of fabric and little details.

Making the suit that Watanuki wears is going to be a nightmare for me.. I can sense that already.

However, I'm delighted to say that I found the perfect wig - it's a 22" jet black wig with bangs and it didn't cost me more than $50 (Cdn). I already have 2 packs of 3"long extensions that I am going to integrate into the wig to create her signature hairstyle.

Now what to do about footwear...

AH!! I know those outfits. I can't wait to see them...I've only seen it done once before...since everyone else seems to do the Space Time Witch dress and Watanuki just gets neglected. -_-;;

Hehe. ^^ We'll compare hair when the time comes. I'm doing it with my own hair...praying that my phone doesn't ring or my alarm clock doesn't accidentally go off when I get around to cutting my hair...otherwise, it's not just Yuuko hairstyle suffering...it's my own poor hair suffering as well (although my hair's free and it grows back if I screw it up).

Sarcasm-hime
01-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Sure ^^ That'll be a lot of help. We still have like... 3-4 more months until Anime North... I still have a few costumes to make but they should only take about 2 months to do to finish them all...

Can you give me a list of what kind of fabric I'd need for the gakuran? I might go to fabricland this Saturday just because apparantly I picked up the wrong kind of interfacing... =_=...

I'd recommend a gabardine or heavyish wool crepe. It needs to have some weight and body - like you'd have on a men's suit jacket. You can also beef up more lightweight fabrics by underlining (http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00010.asp). And pick up some small shoulderpads - most suit jackets have something in the shoulders to make them nice and square. It doesn't have to be huge like the 80's, but just something to keep the sleeves from sagging. ^_^

Amy the Yu
01-21-2005, 01:12 AM
SCORE!!! I have a Tsubasa cosplay bitch now. XD

My friend (Ravnos here on cosplay.com) who's sitting w/ me in Artist Alley at AN's agreed to do Kurogane for AN w/ my Fye and then do another one w/ another one of my planned Fye's for CN. ^^

I'm happy now...cosplay bitch, cosplay bitch. YAY!!!!

Straywind
01-21-2005, 01:20 AM
SCORE!!! I have a Tsubasa cosplay bitch now. XD

My friend (Ravnos here on cosplay.com) who's sitting w/ me in Artist Alley at AN's agreed to do Kurogane for AN w/ my Fye and then do another one w/ another one of my planned Fye's for CN. ^^

I'm happy now...cosplay bitch, cosplay bitch. YAY!!!!

It's good to hear about so many other Tsubasa/xxxHOLIC Cosplayers. I'm thrilled so many of them will be coming to AN since I'll be making a Koriyo Syaoran costume for that con and my friend is making Koriyo Sakura. Perhaps we can all get together for photos? We're planning on wearing our Tsubasa costumes on Saturday.

Amy the Yu
01-21-2005, 01:34 AM
It's good to hear about so many other Tsubasa/xxxHOLIC Cosplayers. I'm thrilled so many of them will be coming to AN since I'll be making a Koriyo Syaoran costume for that con and my friend is making Koriyo Sakura. Perhaps we can all get together for photos? We're planning on wearing our Tsubasa costumes on Saturday.

I think we're doing the outfits for Fye and Kuro-pii from vol 4 or 5 of the manga...the one w/ the giant castle and the freaky sorcerer and the acid rain and stuff... -_-;;

I don't know which day we're doing it on, but I wanna go for Saturday cause this is by far my most amusing costume planned for AN. We'll both be in AA though, at the same table (selling together), so I don't think we can get away with both suddenly dissappearing at the same time to run off...unless the traffic flow's not that bad and I might be able to talk Elemental into taking over both our asses for a bit since she's gonna sit at the next table over.

It would be fun to do a full group photoshoot though. ^^

hikarilight
01-21-2005, 05:25 PM
I think we're doing the outfits for Fye and Kuro-pii from vol 4 or 5 of the manga...the one w/ the giant castle and the freaky sorcerer and the acid rain and stuff... -_-;;

If that's the one you guys planned, then that's the same one that Kagome_Osuwari is doing ^^ It's from the Koriyo arc, the ones like look sort of chinese/korean mix? That was my first Syaoran costume~ Wee~

I'll definitely want some group pics, if not, then separate ones~ ^^

scandia
01-21-2005, 07:51 PM
I just read XXXHolic and Tsubasa 4 today.

If you have read Tsubasa 4, you know who shows up that I like a lot:

EMERAUDE!!!!!

I was not expecting her to show up in her adult form. I did expect her to wear a beautiful dress. Just not as beautiful as it is.

I want to make it badly. Not sure for when, but I still want to do it. The problem is that it is still above my skill level unless I remove some of the flounces of the front and thus simplify the design. I would really love to do it from scratch. My other Emeraude dresses, the most recent one which I finished in Summer 2003, were all piece-mealed.

mitylene
01-21-2005, 07:55 PM
I was thinking about Tomoyo's Princess outfit :) I really wish I could find a color reference pic for that one :)

There was this awesome Faye cosplayer at OtakuCon/KuniCon and she won for best crossplay it was incredible :)
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2634.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2627.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2626.shtml

I use other cosplayer as my reference pics when I can't find any ;)

hikarilight
01-21-2005, 09:21 PM
I was thinking about Tomoyo's Princess outfit :) I really wish I could find a color reference pic for that one :)

There was this awesome Faye cosplayer at OtakuCon/KuniCon and she won for best crossplay it was incredible :)
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2634.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2627.shtml
http://www.risingsun.net/gallery/otakucon/costume/source/otakucon-2626.shtml

I use other cosplayer as my reference pics when I can't find any ;)

I remember seeing Tomoyo's Princess outfit on one of the special edition covers. Try looking for that and you'll get a colour fullbody reference ^^

That Fye crossplayer is damn good~ <3 <3

Amy the Yu
01-21-2005, 11:12 PM
I officially have Yuko hair now. XD *all happy she didn't screw up cutting her hair (since it ended up done w/ fabric sheers again)*

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=261391
They're so much fun, but they're mouth level, so all the moisture from my breath freeze on them and I end up with ice cubes on the end of my CLAMP eartails when I finally get to class in the morning through the -20 C weather. -_-;;

I remember seeing Tomoyo's Princess outfit on one of the special edition covers. Try looking for that and you'll get a colour fullbody reference ^^

That Fye crossplayer is damn good~ <3 <3

SE covers is smack on. Vol 5 to be specific. (Picture attached)

There are two really amazing ones on cosplay.com as well...I honestly have to say that one of the two here was better than the one Mitylene provided links to. I think it might be the styrofoam crystal that ruined it a bit for me. -_-;;

hikarilight
01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
I officially have Yuko hair now. XD *all happy she didn't screw up cutting her hair (since it ended up done w/ fabric sheers again)*

They're so much fun, but they're mouth level, so all the moisture from my breath freeze on them and I end up with ice cubes on the end of my CLAMP eartails when I finally get to class in the morning through the -20 C weather. -_-;;

There are two really amazing ones on cosplay.com as well...I honestly have to say that one of the two here was better than the one Mitylene provided links to. I think it might be the styrofoam crystal that ruined it a bit for me. -_-;;

You definitely have Yuuko hair :D It's so perfect despite the fact that it's done with fabric sheers X3

Man... where do you find all your images 0_0

The crystal was made of styrofoam? I didn't notice XD

Amy the Yu
01-21-2005, 11:31 PM
You definitely have Yuuko hair :D It's so perfect despite the fact that it's done with fabric sheers X3

Man... where do you find all your images 0_0

My hair looked kinda unusual in the picture...very much like a wig...so I guess either my hair's really crappy, or wigs have come a long way. -_-;;

I need to make sure that I either blow dry or condition my hair well or both before the cosplay (which I guess explains my previous comment about crappy hair). My hair's rather...urg..."volumous" normally when it's air dried.

As for the pictures, didn't you know? I'm a GOOGLE MASTER!!! :bigtu:

I've yet to come across anything that I could not find using google when I set my mind to it. Wrong series, but quoting Get Backers "Success rate is nearly 100%!" XD

hikarilight
01-21-2005, 11:54 PM
My hair looked kinda unusual in the picture...very much like a wig...so I guess either my hair's really crappy, or wigs have come a long way. -_-;;

I need to make sure that I either blow dry or condition my hair well or both before the cosplay (which I guess explains my previous comment about crappy hair). My hair's rather...urg..."volumous" normally when it's air dried.

As for the pictures, didn't you know? I'm a GOOGLE MASTER!!! :bigtu:

I've yet to come across anything that I could not find using google when I set my mind to it. Wrong series, but quoting Get Backers "Success rate is nearly 100%!" XD

It doesn't look crappy... I think it looks pretty good ^^ "Volumous" is a good thing? But I guess it's not really for Yuuko since hers is pretty flat XD

YAY GOOGLE MASTER~ *bows to master* Take me as your pupil *bows*

Yunaura
01-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Heres the site with the pictures of that cosplayer i was talking about.

http://www.layer-infinity.net/iplay/

and thnx for trying to help me. =] I'll see if I can contact that cosplayer for help...

Amy the Yu
01-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Heres the site with the pictures of that cosplayer i was talking about.

http://www.layer-infinity.net/iplay/

and thnx for trying to help me. =] I'll see if I can contact that cosplayer for help...

Yup yup...they actually got more pics around cosplay.com as well.

And I still don't get the random other person in the pics...anyone care to enlighten me?

Sarcasm-hime
01-22-2005, 02:12 AM

ENVY!!!! It's an exercise in frustration trying to get my hair to look like sleek Asian hair (like for Yuko)....because although it's naturally straight, it's fine and tangles and frizzes really easily so it never lays smooth and straight like that. :P

mitylene
01-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Yay!!! Thank you sooo much for the reference pic :D

Your Yuko hair looks perfect !

Yeah I never got the thick dark kinda of asian hair just got the super fine never does anythign I want kind ;) But tha'ts what wigs are for ;)

SE covers is smack on. Vol 5 to be specific. (Picture attached)

hikarilight
01-27-2005, 10:41 PM
I was going through chapter one yet again to find Syaoran's outfit for comparsion pics and I fell in love with Touya's outfit yet again XD I decided that I want to do his some day *_*

If anyone has photos, that would be great :D I have tons but more would be nice ^^

Hitori
01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Hikarilight~ Just backtrack a few posts, myself and... Amy the Yu I think, posted a Touya pic.
Keep mi posted on your progress! It'll be neat to see what others do with him. I'm hoping to start my own after Fanime (May).

hikarilight
01-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Hikarilight~ Just backtrack a few posts, myself and... Amy the Yu I think, posted a Touya pic.
Keep mi posted on your progress! It'll be neat to see what others do with him. I'm hoping to start my own after Fanime (May).

I completely forgot that you and Amy posted that ^^;; Keep me posted on your progress too~ Hopefully I can manage to make it next year as well as Syaoran *hopes*

Amy the Yu
01-27-2005, 11:07 PM
I completely forgot that you and Amy posted that ^^;; Keep me posted on your progress too~ Hopefully I can manage to make it next year as well as Syaoran *hopes*

There's lots of images from the manga too. If you get around to doing Touya, let me know and I'll get a move on Yukito (since Monk seems to be going nowhere, so I might just scrap that and go right to Yukito).

hikarilight
01-28-2005, 09:21 AM
There's lots of images from the manga too. If you get around to doing Touya, let me know and I'll get a move on Yukito (since Monk seems to be going nowhere, so I might just scrap that and go right to Yukito).

That's where I'm currently getting the images from the manga ^^;;

Hopefully, if you start Yukito, I might start working on Touya XD I could possibly do him this year, I don't know... *ish poor*

Hi-chan
02-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I might go as Sakura ^^ I found one picture that's useful for reference. ONE @_@

http://membres.lycos.fr/sakuranotsubasa/hpbimg/RC9.jpg

Does anyone know of any other good reference pics?

Amy the Yu
02-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I might go as Sakura ^^ I found one picture that's useful for reference. ONE @_@

http://membres.lycos.fr/sakuranotsubasa/hpbimg/RC9.jpg

Does anyone know of any other good reference pics?

Don't only look for full body shots. Artwork of only the head or parts of the outfit will be useful for those parts.

Here are some I found:
http://trc.silent-mist.com/gallery/8.jpg (nice pic showing the back designs)
http://kss.mysticalaura.com/info/tsubasa/trcanime.jpg (um...urg...from the anime)
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/trc12.jpg
Black and White:
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/09.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/19.jpg

I think that'll last for a bit.

The manga has tonnes of ref pics. This really isn't one of the "hard to find ref pics" costumes.

Hi-chan
02-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Don't only look for full body shots. Artwork of only the head or parts of the outfit will be useful for those parts.

Here are some I found:
http://trc.silent-mist.com/gallery/8.jpg (nice pic showing the back designs)
http://kss.mysticalaura.com/info/tsubasa/trcanime.jpg (um...urg...from the anime)
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/trc12.jpg
Black and White:
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/09.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/trchronicle/trc/19.jpg

I think that'll last for a bit.

The manga has tonnes of ref pics. This really isn't one of the "hard to find ref pics" costumes.

THANK YOU SO MUCH @_@
But I currently only have volume 3, and there aren't many pictures of Sakura. She's usually hidden by other characters.

purplevix
02-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Something to keep in mind, once you know the general color scheme of a costume that is only in manga form, if there's a color insert pic of it (between chaps or something) then you can use that for your colors, and then look in the manga itself for details.

I also want to wish y'all luck, some of those oufits look complicated.

Christine

ChibiToon
02-08-2005, 02:29 AM
I think I'm the only one crazy enough to try this costume for Otakon... :thumbsup:

CT

Hitori
02-08-2005, 02:30 AM
ChibiToon, that will look great!

Does anyone have any fabric suggestions for Touya? I'm torn between Casa satin and something a little more sensible, like a heavy cotton.

Amy the Yu
02-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I have issues and lacked internet for a couple of hours last night and this is what resulted:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=272475

I should have been working on my Yuuko costume for this Saturday, but instead, I went and made myself a black Mokona hat...at least it was an easy project to randomly do. -_-;;

Does anyone have any fabric suggestions for Touya? I'm torn between Casa satin and something a little more sensible, like a heavy cotton.

I somehow can't pictre satin (even casa satin) looking quite right on Touya...just strikes me as kinda...off (more for his character than how the costume would look)... O.o

Guess that means more along the lines of a heavy cotton. If you're feeling adventurous, can try hitting a random fabric store and shop for fabric w/o looking at the fabric type and go purely by touch and sight. I usually do that when shopping in Toronto's fabric district or Philly's Fabric Row since the stores are usually stacked so tightly that it's almost impossible to figure out what type of fabric it is unless you can do so on sight. Lotsa fun fabrics get found doing random fabric shopping. XD

hikarilight
02-08-2005, 06:58 PM
I think I'm the only one crazy enough to try this costume for Otakon... :thumbsup:

CT

You are definitely a crazy person *nods* But it will look damn great~ :D

DemonMiko
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Amy the Yu, I <3 your Mokona hat. Now me for example wants to make one but doesn't know how to start at it ~.~ clues...or a pattern?

ChibiToon I wish you luck, I bet it'll look great! But for some odd reason I feel that something like that would look good in silk... O.o is that just me? @.@ I may be loosing it. Don't pay attention to that last comment...

Amy the Yu
02-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Amy the Yu, I <3 your Mokona hat. Now me for example wants to make one but doesn't know how to start at it ~.~ clues...or a pattern?

I can draw you up a pattern if you want. I always draft my own patterns cause I don't know how to use store bought ones. -_-;;

For this, I didn't even bother with drafting a pattern, I just took a look at the fabric...measured my head and then started sewing. My Mokona plushie provided the proper shape for the ears and I sewed it as such, but to the scale of my head...not my Mokona's size (cause I'd end up with tiny ears then). XD

I went to pick up posters for CTRL-A (my uni's anime club) to go stick up around the science faculty buildings. I went to the turnkey desk (where the club office key is kept) and they looked at my hat and said "you're here for office 10 for the anime club aren't you?" It was great. XD

DemonMiko
02-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Really??? You could draft a pattern for the Mokona hat? O.O That'd be the coolest thing ever! :love:

Amy the Yu
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Really??? You could draft a pattern for the Mokona hat? O.O That'd be the coolest thing ever! :love:

I'll do it this weekend...expect it maybe...Sunday evening (got anime club tonight and J-pop dance tomorrow, so no time til Sunday to play on my laptop). I suck with drawing, so this is going to be another one of my chicken scratch costume patterns using MS Paint, which I swear by cause I don't have artistic skills enough to use anything more advanced. >_>

DemonMiko
02-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Thank you sooo much ^^ some friends of mine and me are huge Mokona fans and their birthdays were coming up. The hat's perfect :D I don't know how to thank you.

archangeli
02-13-2005, 01:52 AM
My boyfriend and I wore our Yűko and Watanuki cosplays to a Valentines Day dance tonight. The reception was awesome ^__^

A few pics are in my gallery, but also in my photobucket -
http://photobucket.com/albums/v249/archangeli/JCCC%20Valentines%20Day%20Dance%202005/

Mystic Blossom
02-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Meep! That is absolutely adorable! Yay for couples cosplay!

Amy the Yu
02-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Yay for procrastination.

One super ghetto Mokona hat pattern sketch (that only shows how to cut the pieces of whatever it's made out of) attached. I've finally come to terms with the fact that I can only do so much with MS Paint before my head explodes from annoyance.

And my hair apparently looks like a wig according to everyone at Katsucon. Since it can't be helped, I at least hope it looks like an expensive wig. -_-;;
http://dave.oc7.org/images/2005.katsucon/pages/DSC00934.html

ChibiToon
02-22-2005, 04:13 PM
O.O Those costumes are amazing! And you're great for a Yuuko cosplayer! Your hair is perfect for it! (And it doesn't look like a wig... :p )

CT

LadyAnimeEyes
02-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the tip on "eartails", everyone :P I just cut my hair to be like Sango's from Inuyasha, and already cosplay possibilities are just opening up... ^_~

I really adore Tsubasa, but everything looks somewhat complicated for my skill level (um...beginner? :P) I definitely want to cosplay from it in the future. Maybe after I've mastered one of Sakura's insane costumes from CCS.

Niku-Sama
02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I bought over 100$ in fabric a while ago (really nice stuff!!) for Yuukos butterfly Kimono.. but now for some reason I am unsure if I should do it. i dont know why arg..

Clueless Case
02-22-2005, 08:34 PM
I was looking at Yuuko's vol 5 cover dress. I am debating whether her jacket is a corset or not, or if I should add some boning in it. I am planning to make it out of velvet. And where can i get a top hat..cuz I looked and theyre kinda pricey.

The pic i have is HUGE!
Yuuko Top HAt Dress of DOOM!!!!! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/idlechan/Wheeker/d07966e2.jpg)

liddo-chan
02-27-2005, 05:21 PM
I finally started on my Syaoran costume today, with less than a week to go before Anime OD ^^;; The top is nearly finished and looks pretty good! I'm just waiting for the iron to heat up so I can add the garter-type straps. Luckily, I am small-chested, so the fit is good and boyish, though it will need some binding.

Next up is the cloak!

Niku-Sama
02-27-2005, 06:57 PM
finally I started my kimono ugh halfheartedly grr arg >_<
Clueless Case, I would suggest ebay I know top hats are soo pricey! Velvet would look so nice!

Clueless Case
02-27-2005, 08:59 PM
yeah..I looked on Ebay. I think the Top hat will the most expensive part more than the 10 yards of velvet I bought...I started on the jacket and I got this nice golden satin to line it.

Mystic Blossom
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Oh, God, I really need to get organized. I couldn't find Yuuko's sleeves yesterday. I searched EVERYWHERE for them, only to discover that they were right in front of me the whole time (I hadn't labeled them with chalk like I usually do, so I assumed it was just extra fabric). Lucky we had a snow day today, cause I've spent much of it plugging away on my kimono. I want the costume done in time for Purim.

Mystic Blossom
03-01-2005, 06:35 PM
yeah..I looked on Ebay. I think the Top hat will the most expensive part more than the 10 yards of velvet I bought...I started on the jacket and I got this nice golden satin to line it.

Where are you gonna find a bird like that? :woah: Tis amazing...the kind of thing you have to search your grandmother's attic for.

Clueless Case
03-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I have the prefect bird for it in white. I am using copic markers to color it.

Mystic Blossom
03-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Oooh, cool. Yeah, I really can't wait to see that costume once your done with it. It looks hard, but completely awesome!

Sarcasm-hime
03-02-2005, 03:30 PM
I was looking at Yuuko's vol 5 cover dress. I am debating whether her jacket is a corset or not, or if I should add some boning in it. I am planning to make it out of velvet. And where can i get a top hat..cuz I looked and theyre kinda pricey.

The pic i have is HUGE!
Yuuko Top HAt Dress of DOOM!!!!! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/idlechan/Wheeker/d07966e2.jpg)

I would use boning, yeah. A jacket like that would have been worn over a boned corset, so you could do that, or you could just put boning in the jacket to make it lie smoothly.

Clueless Case
03-02-2005, 07:01 PM
You know I realized when I was getting the ribbons cut out to be painted. I know for sure two are connected to the hat. Where should the other two be placed? I am deabting putting them on the hat.I finally got a top hat (yay for weddings) and I attached the wretched fowl and the two ribbons. I feel very offbalance with it on my head since its already sitting cockeyed on the head to begin with. I also feel ridiculous for some reason making it in real life is just silly. I am likeWHY!?! My real question is moving around in the sucker. HAs anyone had to deal with a ridiculous huge costume or awkward headwear? I figured With the wig and hat I have my work cut out for me waliking around without straining my neck. Add to that I have this HUGE hoopskirt and petticoast shoved underneath there. I am going to have problems moving around.

Mystic Blossom
03-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes, the other two definitely look like they're attached to the other side of the top hat. What con are you making this for?

Clueless Case
03-02-2005, 08:16 PM
I am planning to debut it at Anime Expo. I am thinking of enetering it in the masquerade for craftmanship since this thing is eating my soul. @_@

Mystic Blossom
03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
I will not tolerate no pictures. All soul-eating costumes must be displayed to the public.

Amy the Yu
03-02-2005, 08:21 PM
You know I realized when I was getting the ribbons cut out to be painted. I know for sure two are connected to the hat. Where should the other two be placed? I am deabting putting them on the hat.I finally got a top hat (yay for weddings) and I attached the wretched fowl and the two ribbons. I feel very offbalance with it on my head since its already sitting cockeyed on the head to begin with. I also feel ridiculous for some reason making it in real life is just silly. I am likeWHY!?! My real question is moving around in the sucker. HAs anyone had to deal with a ridiculous huge costume or awkward headwear? I figured With the wig and hat I have my work cut out for me waliking around without straining my neck. Add to that I have this HUGE hoopskirt and petticoast shoved underneath there. I am going to have problems moving around.

If you do your hair in cornbraid sort of things before you put the wig on, you can just bobbypin everything to your head like nuts and it won't budge a bit.

You might want to try for a bustle more than a hoopskirt cause that's what it looks like to me. It would be less weighty with a bustle too.

The dress looks a lot like a twist on the Victorian bustle fashions:
http://www.fashion-era.com/images/Crinsbustles/marbbluebrownsbustle40.jpg

Mystic Blossom
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it's like CLAMP drew the basics of the outift and then said, "LET'S GO NUTS!"

Clueless Case
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I am still gonna have the bustle but the dress looks like it poofs out more like ur basic 18th century gown and Clamp decied to stick a bustle on the back.

archangeli
03-03-2005, 09:39 AM

I have a suggestion that might help with the tophat. Sew a couple of elastics/ ribbons into the inside of the hat in an "X" shape and pin them to your head. It won't make it any lighter, but at least it will stabelize the hat on your head a bit.

Shana-chan
03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
You know how the long straight haired individuals will often have all their hair really long and straight cut bangs? And then they'd have these mid-chin length locks on either side of their face? (Yuko has them too) Originally a term I believe was for Aya's strange hairstyle from Weiss Kreuz, some people I know has been using it to describe the CLAMP bangs with mid-length locks.

The Japanese call that the 'Hime' style, or princess style. It's probably a style that only the royals could get way-back-when, since they were the only ones who had the tools needed to have a nice haircut. A LOT of Japanese artists draw hair this way, and a lot of Japanese girls wear their hair this way, especially those who like the whole Gothic Lolita style. ^_^

Dunno if anyone had noted this or not, but.. yea.. :3

Mystic Blossom
03-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Yay! I finally have a picture of the barrette up! Everyone must go see and tell me what you think!

Clueless Case
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Mystic Blossom: the Clip looks great. Though in the pic it looks more orange toned.

Here's a quick aka BAD sketch of how I think the dress works.

hikarilight
03-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Yay! I finally have a picture of the barrette up! Everyone must go see and tell me what you think!

That barrette is freakin' awesome~ <3 <3

Tohma
03-04-2005, 12:24 AM
I posted pictures of my Fai costume in my gallery if anyone wants to see it ^_^

I actually ended up not wearing the inner coat and the belt even though I took them with me. I figured it would look nicer with the shirt showing through. I worked hard on the shirt so I might as well show it ^_^

I wore the outfit at Katsucon this year and was actually surprised by how many people actually knew who I was. I even met a Syoaran and Sakura that I got a picture with ^_^

Anyway, pictures: http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=13428&userid=12037

Clueless Case
03-04-2005, 12:35 AM
Tohma: I really love the staff.

Mystic Blossom
03-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Yay! I'm almost done with the trim on the kimono! I'll post pictures when it's done!

hikarilight
03-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I posted pictures of my Fai costume in my gallery if anyone wants to see it ^_^

I actually ended up not wearing the inner coat and the belt even though I took them with me. I figured it would look nicer with the shirt showing through. I worked hard on the shirt so I might as well show it ^_^

I wore the outfit at Katsucon this year and was actually surprised by how many people actually knew who I was. I even met a Syoaran and Sakura that I got a picture with ^_^

Anyway, pictures: http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=13428&userid=12037

Love your Fye~ The stuff is killer *3*

Mystic Blossom
03-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Kimono time! Ta da!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=290764

Hitori
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Wow, that's quite pretty!

Mystic Blossom
03-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Heehee! Thank you!

hikarilight
03-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Kimono time! Ta da!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=290764

It's so pretty~ <3 <3

Mystic Blossom
03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I just finished making the ties, so now I don't have to worry about it falling off! Yay for Kairi G's mommy for telling me I should make them!

PhoenixStarr44
03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
^^;; so I've been cosplaying (or attempting to cosplay) Syaoran from Tsu:RC for two cons - Nekocon 2003 and Katsucon 2005. I'm planning on attending Anime Central 2005 in my koriyo costume and possibly making the Spirit Arc outfit - do you think I'll be recognizable enough without Sakura-chan (she can't attend)? Will anyone else be there? <3

and Amy-chan, you were an AWESOME Yuuko. <3

http://images.cosplay.com/searchgallery.php?si=&what=allfields&name=phoenixstarr44&when=&whenterm=

liddo-chan
03-14-2005, 05:02 PM
I've posted my favorite Syaoran photos in my gallery, and there are more pics in Admin's private photoshoot section. Thanks to those who left comments ^^ I'm happy with the way the costume turned out, and trying to look like a boy wasn't as difficult as I'd expected... (lots of powder to get rid of those high cheekbones and pinkness)

I want to pose a question to some of you Tsubasa fans who are picky about details (because I am too)... I thought the wig was too light for Syaoran's hair color, but I didn't have time to do anything about it before Anime OD. Before AX this July, I was planning on dying it a couple shades darker, but I don't have any experience with this, plus it would mean re-styling the wig afterward. Also, the current color, though not perfect, matches my skin tone. Can I get a honest opinion on whether it should be a darker color? If you saw the cosplay in person, would you think the hair was inaccurate? Feel free to be blunt, and thanks in advance for constructive criticism.

Hitori
03-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Liddo, I love the styling, but I do think it's entirely too light. I wouldn't worry too much about restyling it before colouring though, I coloured a styled wig once, actually turning it from a hunny brown to a dark brown, I used a black sharpie, and because I didn't rinse the gell and stuff out first, I obviously wasn't able to get full coverage, but that was what I wanted because it looks very natural, with the highlights in it.
Anyway, I digress.
A darker shade would look fine on you, and more accurate.

Amy the Yu
03-14-2005, 08:34 PM
^^;; so I've been cosplaying (or attempting to cosplay) Syaoran from Tsu:RC for two cons - Nekocon 2003 and Katsucon 2005. I'm planning on attending Anime Central 2005 in my koriyo costume and possibly making the Spirit Arc outfit - do you think I'll be recognizable enough without Sakura-chan (she can't attend)? Will anyone else be there? <3

and Amy-chan, you were an AWESOME Yuuko. <3

http://images.cosplay.com/searchgallery.php?si=&what=allfields&name=phoenixstarr44&when=&whenterm=

AAAHHHH!!!!! *tackle* ^^

If you do any Tsubasa cosplay for Otakon, we need to meet up for a photoshoot or something. I've finalized my plans for making a Tsubasa Yukito costume for Otakon. XD It'll be fun to learn how to apply make up to make myself look...not so Asian. -_-;;

hikarilight
03-14-2005, 10:12 PM
I want to pose a question to some of you Tsubasa fans who are picky about details (because I am too)... I thought the wig was too light for Syaoran's hair color, but I didn't have time to do anything about it before Anime OD. Before AX this July, I was planning on dying it a couple shades darker, but I don't have any experience with this, plus it would mean re-styling the wig afterward. Also, the current color, though not perfect, matches my skin tone. Can I get a honest opinion on whether it should be a darker color? If you saw the cosplay in person, would you think the hair was inaccurate? Feel free to be blunt, and thanks in advance for constructive criticism.

I absolutely loved your Syaoran~ The wig definitely is worth praising *praises* Though the wig is a little light, I thought it was perfect for it ^^ If you dyed it darker or not, it wouldn't make a difference in my opinion of your cosplay~

liddo-chan
03-15-2005, 02:05 AM
narr! I'm still waffling, but I guess I still have a couple months to decide. I just have a creeping suspicion that I'll ruin the wig if I go the Sharpie route. I tried black and red sharpie on some bits of wig after the initial "haircut," and after washing, the black one still looked black and the red one red. I guess I'll give it a shot if I come across a wide brown sharpie, otherwise, I'll think about getting Katie Bair's wig spray in charcoal grey. Thanks for the input, Hitori and Hikarilight.

Hitori
03-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Liddo, they do make a few brown sharpies, I just recommended black because that's what I used. My wig was your colour, and now is a dark chocolate.

Amy the Yu
03-15-2005, 02:22 AM
narr! I'm still waffling, but I guess I still have a couple months to decide. I just have a creeping suspicion that I'll ruin the wig if I go the Sharpie route. I tried black and red sharpie on some bits of wig after the initial "haircut," and after washing, the black one still looked black and the red one red. I guess I'll give it a shot if I come across a wide brown sharpie, otherwise, I'll think about getting Katie Bair's wig spray in charcoal grey. Thanks for the input, Hitori and Hikarilight.

I've read on some threads that people can use Prismacolor markers too. Those come in much more colours, but I have no experience dying wigs, so it's just what I've read (I usually avoid wigs altogether and cut and style my real hair).

You have an amazing Syaoran costume though, and I think the wig is great even as it is now. Being a few shades off from the colour in the mangas isn't a big deal. That stuff's 2D, we're not. XD

If you're worried about ruining the wig, then might as well get the actual wig spray since your wig wouldn't eat up bottles and bottles of the stuff and the extra few bucks would be worth it even if it's just for peace of mind knowing you're not risking ruining your wig. ^^

liddo-chan
03-15-2005, 02:25 AM
hmm, well I'm shooting for a light brown/auburn mix (see attached img), and the black sharpie really took over on the bits I colored, especially on the blonde streaks in the wig. I don't know. I give up thinking for the night :)

hikarilight
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Sharpies come in a wide range of colours, if you didn't know. You can probably find the shade of brown you want at some type of art store? And you're welcome ^^

Mystic Blossom
03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Obi's done cept for the cord!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=294998

hikarilight
03-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Obi's done cept for the cord!

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=294998

I can't say it enough but everything is fantastic ^^

peihui
03-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Anyone doing book 3 version of Sakura ?

liddo-chan
03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
I've read on some threads that people can use Prismacolor markers too. Those come in much more colours, but I have no experience dying wigs, so it's just what I've read (I usually avoid wigs altogether and cut and style my real hair).

You have an amazing Syaoran costume though, and I think the wig is great even as it is now. Being a few shades off from the colour in the mangas isn't a big deal. That stuff's 2D, we're not. XD

If you're worried about ruining the wig, then might as well get the actual wig spray since your wig wouldn't eat up bottles and bottles of the stuff and the extra few bucks would be worth it even if it's just for peace of mind knowing you're not risking ruining your wig. ^^

I prefer using my own hair too, being cheaper and more comfortable, but wigs are fun. Thanks for the comments--I do keep reminding myself of the 2D --> 3D thing. ;)

I have a pack of the new rainbow-range of Sharpies, but they're all ultra-fine point. I'm just checking out the Sharpie website right now, and it seems that they don't make brown in the wider tips. I'll look into Prismacolor too.

Mystic Blossom
03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
I am so reaching for feedback. This part isn't even remotely done...

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=295295

hikarilight
03-16-2005, 05:00 PM

You mean her Koriyo version right? Some people have done that already (I'm not one of them) ^^;;

Amy the Yu
03-16-2005, 06:26 PM

I've seen a couple of Koriyo Sakura. Someone's making it for Anime North in May as well...but I forgot who it was exactly.

Pic of Rugawagf's Vol 3 Sakura (you can't see the petals well enough cause we forgot to spread it out before the shoot):
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=285638

And Kiwi has done it too:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=170717

I am so reaching for feedback. This part isn't even remotely done...

I have no idea how well sculpty sands, but I would say sand/file it down so it's nice and even (or well shaped) along the entire length.

I was lazy and just bought a real one off eBay for about $10. There are a couple floating around there at all times, but it takes a bit of digging through other types of the stuff to find it. They make for nice refs if you're making one.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=284862
Picture reference of a real opium pipe...it needs a polishing, but I'm too lazy to do it now. >_>

Mystic Blossom
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Amy! I think that for the obi, I should paint a design on the front of the band so that it'll had a more interesting feel to the front of the costume, which is very boring in comparison to the back. What does everyone else think of this idea of creative liscence?

liddo-chan
03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Amy! I think that for the obi, I should paint a design on the front of the band so that it'll had a more interesting feel to the front of the costume, which is very boring in comparison to the back. What does everyone else think of this idea of creative liscence?

I am a big fan of accurate costuming. A simple costume can be very impressive if it's done well.

Mystic Blossom
03-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Well, the front of her obi isn't shown in the picture, which is why I feel safe to be creative with it.

peihui
03-20-2005, 12:10 PM
hm..i dun think its that one. Its something like a sports wear where they wore those caps~

liddo-chan
03-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Mystic Blossom: sorry, I forgot you were doing the butterfly Yuko. Hmm... I just think the focus of the costume should be the butterflies, and everything else should be simple to highlight the centerpieces. But if you're asking for opinions, I think a design is fine as long as it fits in with the rest of the outift. So much Tsubasa/xxxHolic artwork is just one big integrated pattern flowing through the page(s).

PeiHui: You meant the cover of Tsubasa vol. 3, I'm pretty sure.

I'm flipping through my calendar right now, and I love Yuko's French Maid outfit, especially with Mokona in the goblet. But I have too many costumes lined up for this year already. meh.

Mystic Blossom
03-20-2005, 02:58 PM
I get what you're saying, liddo-chan. The plan I have is to paint a small butterfly in caligraphy-style, with maybe a few swirls around it to accent it. Nothing like random shapes that have nothing to do with the rest of the costume.

hikarilight
03-20-2005, 10:50 PM
hm..i dun think its that one. Its something like a sports wear where they wore those caps~

Oohhh... you mean volume three's cover.... ^^;; I don't think anyone did it yet, so you'll be the first XD

Mystic Blossom
03-21-2005, 03:58 PM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=298462

and...

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=298463

kiwi
03-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Oohhh... you mean volume three's cover.... ^^;; I don't think anyone did it yet, so you'll be the first XD

Those outfits are cute :) I've seen a couple people cosplay them. I'll probably do Sakura's this summer since everything else I'm making this year will be sweltering for August ^^;

hikarilight
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Those outfits are cute :) I've seen a couple people cosplay them. I'll probably do Sakura's this summer since everything else I'm making this year will be sweltering for August ^^;

I agree on the cuteness factor :3

Really now? I can't wait to see more then or at least a few now since I haven't seen any as of yet~ I wish you luck with it and the fact you'll be warm during August 0_0

Mystic Blossom
03-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Story time!

I wore Yuuko to Pruim tonight (was hoping to bring the wig, but it didn't arrive until after I got back >_<), and I brought my pipe, just to feel more complete. This girl, like 13 years old, took my pipe, and started to bang it on the table. ARG!!!! The end came off, but luckily the dowel sticks into it. I would have killed her if she snapped it.

CCSakura
03-25-2005, 01:03 PM
^_^ well... here is a pic of me and my best friend in a cosplay in Israel! I'm Sakura, and 2 more of my friends dressed up as Syaoran and Chii! (I'll post later if you like..)

It was soo fuuunnnnnn!!! I love Sakura!! :heart:

Hitori
03-25-2005, 01:17 PM
^_^ well... here is a pic of me and my best friend in a cosplay in Israel! I'm Sakura, and 2 more of my friends dressed up as Syaoran and Chii! (I'll post later if you like..)

I love your Sakura, it's very kyoot <3

Mystic Blossom
03-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Absolutely adorable! Was this for Purim?

Also, does anyone have a clear picture of the front of Yuuko's hair, so I know just how to cut her hair tails? I have two volumes of the manga, and yet all of the pictures of her seem to involve her moving in such a way that her hair is everywhere.

CCSakura
03-25-2005, 03:02 PM

Also, does anyone have a clear picture of the front of Yuuko's hair, so I know just how to cut her hair tails? I have two volumes of the manga, and yet all of the pictures of her seem to involve her moving in such a way that her hair is everywhere.

Yeah it was for Purim! :)

Mystic Blossom
03-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Yay for Purim! My friend's dad dressed as a rapper and called himself, "Grape Jewz."

Amy the Yu
03-25-2005, 03:23 PM

I attached a couple of pics of her. She has hair tails x2 on each side...not very hard to do, but I was cutting my own hair, not a wig.

The 2nd one gives a good close up of the mouth level tails. I used that pic as the ref when I cut my own hair. Just watch out when you're walking in the wind...they're just long enough to randomly go into your mouth and if it's cold enough out, the water vapour on your breathe will freeze the tips of those completely solid. -_-;; (<-- had it happen way too many times)

Mystic Blossom
03-25-2005, 03:28 PM
Haha, I hope it'll be nice out so that won't happen. Thanks a lot, Amy. Her hair's very confusing. In some pics, it looks like she has a third set of tails that are just a few inches shorter than the rest of her hair, but I could be wrong.

hikarilight
03-25-2005, 06:27 PM

OMG~ You make such an adorable Sakura~ <3 <3

CCSakura
03-26-2005, 06:37 AM
OMG~ You make such an adorable Sakura~ <3 <3

~blush~ thanks ^^"

.:Hope:.
03-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Sugoi...you guys are so good! ^_^ Do you know where I can get reference piccies for Sakura's outfits?

Amy the Yu
03-27-2005, 02:16 AM
Sugoi...you guys are so good! ^_^ Do you know where I can get reference piccies for Sakura's outfits?

This is Tsubasa we're talking about...she has like...50 million outfits and various versions of each. >_>

If you had specific ones in mind, I can probably help you, or someone else could.

CCSakura
03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
hehe here we all are in Purim! :D

03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Haha, yes, I'm talking about her Tsubasa outfits. She has a million CCS ones! o.o Hmm, well, I'm not sure if I've seen all of them...she has a pink one and this white one, ne? ^^v

Amy the Yu
03-27-2005, 02:33 PM
hehe here we all are in Purim! :D

That looks so awesome. I wish I could make cool looking props like that. T_T

CCSakura
03-29-2005, 04:41 AM
That looks so awesome. I wish I could make cool looking props like that. T_T

it's no biggy actually ^_^"" I could tell ya how to do those things.. (I did with all my othe r cosplay friends muahaha)

liddo-chan
03-29-2005, 04:57 PM
The amazing Lionel has finished making my Syaoran staff.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=305489

AX is going to rock! ^____^ I will try my hardest to be the best Syaoran I can be! heh.

Mystic Blossom
03-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow, that's awesome. Wish I could see it in person.

hikarilight
03-29-2005, 06:09 PM

AX is going to rock! ^____^ I will try my hardest to be the best Syaoran I can be! heh.

Wow.. that looks amazing *_* That's just amazing talent right there, good for Lionel *thumbs up*

isamu85
03-29-2005, 06:30 PM
I made a casual Syaoran cosplay from the opening page of Tsubasa Volume 2.(The oragne, black and white one) You can see it at http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=302723

Hitori
03-30-2005, 01:08 AM

Only AX? No possibility of Fanime?

liddo-chan
03-31-2005, 01:56 AM
Only AX? No possibility of Fanime?

Fanime is still a possibility. It depends on space in my bags and in the car...

Yunaura
04-02-2005, 03:30 AM
The promo for the anime has been released via Bit Torrent and mIRC for the anime by Kancho.
The anime is supposedly spanning 26 episodes. XXXHolic will be an OVA.
Anime will be airing April ninth.
http://trc.silent-mist.com/
Very happy~~!

Mystic Blossom
04-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Ooo, I have to download that. Can't wait!

firequill_memo
04-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm trying to decide between two costumes from Tsubasa of Sakura. Sakura's fire kimono, and her black and red mafia-like outfit(if you don't know what I'm talking about, which I don't blame you for seeing as they've not shown up in the series yet, I've included pictures). I really want to make both, but on the fire kimono, I can't find a picture showing enough of the outfit to get all of the detail right. Not to mention, it would take a long time to complete the both of them....grawr...I really want to have the two costumes for ColossalCon 4.
Any help is appreciated ^______^

Mystic Blossom
04-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Well, since they're artbook images, those are likely the only views of the costumes that exist, which may work in your favor, because it means that you can make things up when you need to, and no one can bug you about that. I did the same thing with Yuuko. Since the picture of her doesn't include a view of the front of the kimono, I just made something up for the front of the obi.

tsumikuroi
04-10-2005, 10:34 PM
I love Tsubasa and xxxholic to death. x.x;; The costumes are AMAZING...

*sighs* I hope I can make AX or Animagic... Probably not. If so on the other hand... on top of my Integra, Hisoka, and Fenris Fenrir costumes, I could probably do Yuuko. I have her pipe! *courtesy of an obliging parent after a visit from Korea* It's my favorite prop now.

FiFi
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
CLAMP!!!!!!!!!!! Love them to death!!!
Love the costumes in Tsubasa!!! Fai-san is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!! o>.<O!!!
Really want to cosplay Tsubasa......-v-...I can't sew...can someone teach me????????
I know ...I know....I want to cosplay..but can't sew T-T and is broke ...

Really like the costume of Fai..the magician coat is soooooooo preetttttty

Muralasa
04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
[...]

liddo-chan
04-11-2005, 03:17 AM
I usually avoid cosplay gatherings but a TRC/xxxHolic gathering I would definitely consider. ^__^

~k.

I would really like to have a Tsubasa/xxxHolic gathering at AX. The All Clamp one will be fun, but I think there should be enough of us to merit a separate gathering as well. If there's enough interest, I'll start a Gathering thread in the AX area.

Ringo
04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
I would really like to have a Tsubasa/xxxHolic gathering at AX. The All Clamp one will be fun, but I think there should be enough of us to merit a separate gathering as well. If there's enough interest, I'll start a Gathering thread in the AX area.

That would be so great! My friends and I are making new costumes and will have Yuuko (myself), Sakura (Makoto) and Li (Nick). It would be great to get some photos with other cosplayers. ^_^

Digital Blush
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
That would be so great! My friends and I are making new costumes and will have Yuuko (myself), Sakura (Makoto) and Li (Nick). It would be great to get some photos with other cosplayers. ^_^

i cant wait to see your new costumes Ringo, i loved your other ones ^^ i'm working on my Princess Sakura dress lately. i'll post pictures up soon. it's anime version :B

Hitori
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM

I wish I were going! I would so love a Tsubasa/xxxHolic gathering

Ringo
04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
i cant wait to see your new costumes Ringo, i loved your other ones ^^ i'm working on my Princess Sakura dress lately. i'll post pictures up soon. it's anime version :B

Aw shucks~, I can't wait to see pictures or you costume! I know you been working on this one for quite a while. ^_^
I'm sad I'm not going to A-kon this year to see it in person. T_T Maybe at Ushi next year. =D

04-11-2005, 11:08 PM
So no one has any Tsubasa Sakura piccies? ^^v Everyone's costumes looks so nice!

Mystic Blossom
05-01-2005, 07:40 PM
I just got back from Anime Boston, and I wore Yuuko today and Friday. I'll post pics soon.

Digital Blush
05-01-2005, 07:45 PM
my sakura costume is almost done :D! yay! i have a Yuuko, Syaoran, Kurogane, and Faye in my group ^^. Kell is my Yuuko yay! i can't wait :D i shall post pictures of the costume done.

purplevix
05-01-2005, 11:41 PM
okay, so now I'm obsessing over the anime for this *drools over opening sequence of the first episode* soooo beautiful.....

I love the fact that Touya's actually not a jerk in this, I'm considering him for my next costume set after Acen... he's really cool.

The anime is a thing of beauty... Bee Train and Clamp make wonderful anime together... then they go get Yuki Kajira for the music! Gah... I am spent

Christine

Mystic Blossom
05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=328219

YUUKO!!!

DivineSage
05-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone. Ummm... I know this has probably been asked a million times in this thread, and I apologize profusely for asking again, but I don't have the time or patience to read through fourteen pages, so... What kind of fabric would you suggest for Fai (Fye, Faye)'s coat? Thanks.

And yes, the anime's beautiful. When I finished the first episode, I downloaded the theme song and put it on my mp3 player.

Sieneko
09-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Ooh wow, forgive me from raising this topic from the dead, but it didn't seem appropriate to start a totally NEW thread either.

I'm looking for some references for Fai and Chii's costumes. Specifically the buckles for Fai's white shirt, and the small adornment on the chest part of Chii's dress. I know they showed these in the manga, but I'm having a hard time getting reference pictures for these anywhere. I plan to do these out of wood with a scroll saw if I can't get a smooth look out of clay. XD

Thanks in advance!

Pehra Frost
09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I found this rather nice pic of Fye from the front, with his underclothes on. That's what I'm going to be making, so I'm not sweltering under that ridiculous fur coat. Besides, he doesn't wear the coat anymore, he's usually in these clothes when he had the chance.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e22/Ferok_Angelwing/5Bmedium5D5BAnimePaper5Dscans_Tsuba.jpg

I have only one problem, where might I go about getting materials to make the staff? Or is there someplace that I can buy a premade? Heck, even a Mokona plushie would be nice to carry around, I resemble Fye in every way except the blonde hair, since mine's red.

Vicksta
09-30-2006, 02:02 PM
Hello everyone! Getting on the wagon aswell heh. I'm currently going to do Souma from Tsubasa, the chick in volume..13 I believe. Heres the ref. Photo (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/958/animepaperscanstsubasaresevoirchroniclemaisa49628i q2.jpg). Pretty designs eh? XD

I'm getting a bit stressed out with that huge design on her cape, as well the ends of it look like metal to me? She has various moon's through out the outfit and I'm wondering what would you suggest me to make them out of. Especially the one in her hand.

Kumi-chan
10-01-2006, 02:46 AM
Hello everyone! Getting on the wagon aswell heh. I'm currently going to do Souma from Tsubasa, the chick in volume..13 I believe. Heres the ref. Photo (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/958/animepaperscanstsubasaresevoirchroniclemaisa49628i q2.jpg). Pretty designs eh? XD

I'm getting a bit stressed out with that huge design on her cape, as well the ends of it look like metal to me? She has various moon's through out the outfit and I'm wondering what would you suggest me to make them out of. Especially the one in her hand.

Ohhh, pretty! I haven't seen this image yet, it's awesome! I'd suggest tracing the design on the cloak fabric and then using soft fabric paint and some really slim brushes to color it. Or you could look into getting computer-printout transfers for black t-shirts...likely you'd want to sketch and color the design, scan it into your computer, and then use the transfers to print it out. You can buy the transfer paper at most craft and office supply stores, and they're really easy; you print them out like regular computer paper, then just iron the design on. With a design that large, though, you'd probably have to print out the design in sections or just go with painting it.

I'd say the gold parts on the cloak and the other costume pieces would best be done with gold fabric paint; trust me, done right it looks awesome. For the crescent moon pieces, I'd say use foamies (thin craft foam sheets, about the thickness of cardboard, available at most craft stores), cut into the shape you want with an X-Acto knife and painted gold. They're not totally stiff, but they should look fine for photos, and the edges aren't as damageable as, say, cardboard. You might want to make the patterns for the foam pieces out of cardboard, though.

Actually, I'm starting work on a Tomoyo-hime costume soon, and I had a couple of questions. Does anyone have any suggestions for her hair ornament and mirror pendant?

I'm doing a slightly more detailed version of her costume then in the anime or regular manga images. Color scheme is from the first image: plum outer kimono; white second (bell-sleeve) and inner kimono, obi, and "goddess" shawl; lavender/orchid hair wraps, middle kimono, and fan; gold hair ornament and beads; white and lavender/orchid crescent moon designs. References:

I'm making the mirror-pendant in the first (color) image, with the long dangling strands of beads, as well as her fan from the color image. I'm using the outer-kimono design from the second (black and white) image, with the more detailed cloud-and-crescent design on the half sleeves. There's a similar crescent design in the center of the back. I'm using the hair-wraps from the color image as well.

I'd like to do the dark, dangling panels on the sides of the kimono in the second image, with the complicated knot on the end. Does anyone know where I can find info on how to do this kind of knot? Would white or lavender look better for the knot and border?

I'm not sure which hair ornament I like better, the first or the second. The black and white version looks like it would be easier to get through doors and such, and probably be easier to wear, plus the circlet on her forehead is really pretty. Would the dangling beads (lotus-shaped, hanging from the "branches" of the hair ornament) conflict with the similarly-shaped beads on the mirror-pendant in the color image, or would they look okay together? Should I just go with the simpler, larger design in the color image? And what would you suggest I make the branches and beads out of? The ornament will likely be attached/sewn into the wig, but I don't want to make it too heavy.

Angathol
10-02-2006, 07:36 PM
I have a Fai cosplay planned... but since the cons I go to are in late spring and late summer, I'm not sure if I should use accurate fabrics for the multi-layer version. ^^;

AlphaNinn
10-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I've jumped on the bandwagon as well, when I did my Sakura rose gown. Granted, almost no one knew what it was because I didn't have a wig at the time, and it was an outfit seen only in the season 2 opening credits... (Still have a lot of work to do on it, too, for the next wearing)

Still, there's more from it that I'd like to do.

Sandwichzombie
10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
So I figured I'd join this thread. I caved, so I'm gonna crank out my Syaoran cosplay in a month, to go with my friend's Sakura.

First things first, I gotta find a wig! :/ Does anyone have suggestions?

feytaline
10-02-2006, 10:41 PM
My friend Terranell (she's on here under that name) did my Sakura wig and did a FABULOUSLY AMAZING job on it. I'm commissioning her to do my Dan's Syaoran as well, so I recommend her for wigs! She's not very expensive, either, and can find great eBay deals so your wig itself is cheap as well as the styling. She needs commissions very badly now, so if you're interested please contact her.

/random Terranell wig fangirling

Currently I'm working on five tsubasa/holic costumes (not all for me!) Am I obsessed...? They are: Himawari for Kristina, Watanuki for Dan, Syaoran for Dan (Spirit town!) maid Yuko for me, and Ame Warashi for Erin (though she is doing most of that herself. We're going to have a huge holic group for Tekko 1/2 this year (and by huge I mean what, five people?) I'm excited!

Inque
10-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Im looking into doing Souma :) I initially found out about Souma in RG Veda and was suppose to do her costume then to compliment my sisters Ashura but never got the material for it :(, and then when I saw her pop up in Tsubasa/Holic I was initially drawn in, so I have plans to work on her...

kkoganei1328
10-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Questions!

Actually, I'm starting work on a Tomoyo-hime costume soon, and I had a couple of questions. Does anyone have any suggestions for her hair ornament and mirror pendant?

I'm doing a slightly more detailed version of her costume then in the anime or regular manga images. Color scheme is from the first image: plum outer kimono; white second (bell-sleeve) and inner kimono, obi, and "goddess" shawl; lavender/orchid hair wraps, middle kimono, and fan; gold hair ornament and beads; white and lavender/orchid crescent moon designs. References:

I'm making the mirror-pendant in the first (color) image, with the long dangling strands of beads, as well as her fan from the color image. I'm using the outer-kimono design from the second (black and white) image, with the more detailed cloud-and-crescent design on the half sleeves. There's a similar crescent design in the center of the back. I'm using the hair-wraps from the color image as well.

I'd like to do the dark, dangling panels on the sides of the kimono in the second image, with the complicated knot on the end. Does anyone know where I can find info on how to do this kind of knot? Would white or lavender look better for the knot and border?

I'm not sure which hair ornament I like better, the first or the second. The black and white version looks like it would be easier to get through doors and such, and probably be easier to wear, plus the circlet on her forehead is really pretty. Would the dangling beads (lotus-shaped, hanging from the "branches" of the hair ornament) conflict with the similarly-shaped beads on the mirror-pendant in the color image, or would they look okay together? Should I just go with the simpler, larger design in the color image? And what would you suggest I make the branches and beads out of? The ornament will likely be attached/sewn into the wig, but I don't want to make it too heavy.

you should make the more detailed headpiece. not very many have attempted that one. i've made the harder one, and i loved it ^_^ too bad it broke T_T. i would highly recommend putting a bit of weight onto the piece that hangs in front of her head, and then add another piece on the back to balance out the head piece. i didnt have time to do it, (finished the entire costume in 10 hours before the con) and had a love hate relationship with the head piece. i to use a piece of ribbon to tie around my head so the head piece would stay up. worked great, but it wasnt what i had in mind.

Kumi-chan
10-05-2006, 12:36 AM
you should make the more detailed headpiece. not very many have attempted that one. i've made the harder one, and i loved it ^_^ too bad it broke T_T. i would highly recommend putting a bit of weight onto the piece that hangs in front of her head, and then add another piece on the back to balance out the head piece. i didnt have time to do it, (finished the entire costume in 10 hours before the con) and had a love hate relationship with the head piece. i to use a piece of ribbon to tie around my head so the head piece would stay up. worked great, but it wasnt what i had in mind.

I'm probably going to go with the more complicated one, if only for the little circlet on her forehead; I'll probably make it a full circle and have it look the same in the back of the ornament, to help balance it. Actually, a friend of mine from one of my classes was telling me how I could make both the pendant and the hair ornament out of real metal. I'd do a combination of etching and welding for the pendant, and then do the hair ornament with etching and cast metal. I've never worked with metal before, but he sounds willing to help me. A bit heavy, but with the wigs I wear, I'm used to heavy stuff on my head. And it would look so cool!

I'd definitely have to anchor the piece to the wig, though. Luckily I have until April, it'll definitely take time to get the materials and a space to work with them.

Runi-Chan
11-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Alright, I searched the thread and found no answer, so I really hope that I'm not repeating a question but...

does anyone have the artwork for the cover of Volume 5? I've got the front and back covers of my copy, but its distorted by being wrapped around the spine and the logo is HUGE and I can't see all of the skirt.

If anyone has it, I would be so thankful. I've looked everywhere and can't locate it.

And apologies if I'm raising this from the dead--I searched the whole forum and this was the most recent xxxholic thread.

tsuoi_kaze
11-17-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm in the planning stages of a Yuko costume. Also known as the "plan out every last detail and how I'm going to do it because I don't actually have the money to start on it yet". I do have a bit of a problem though.

What kind of fabric would be good for a kimono, but would take well to fabric paint? Also, what brand/kind of fabric paint works best? Last time I used paint it ended up being a disaster, so better paint would be nice.

Again @ Rurouni: I PM'ed you but you were offline by the time I sent it. I found it on a website in a language that I don't even speak XD

Runi-Chan
11-18-2007, 11:30 AM
tsoi- I got it, and OHMYGOD THANK YOU. SO MUCH.

I've heard everything from twill to cotton to (Ack) even silk for the kimonos, but I'd stick with twill. Holds paint better and drapes wonderfully.

Paintwise; look for the stuff that actually says its NOT puffy paint. Most people go and pick up puff paint when they hit the fabric paint section. Other than that...I can't think of a particular brand. Fabric paint is better to use than other paints because it'll still move with the fabric.

tsuoi_kaze
11-18-2007, 06:33 PM
Ahhh..See, I never would have thought of twill for a Kimono, but I have heard that it takes well to paint.

I think the paint I had last time might have been puffy paint because it was very stiff and difficult to work with. I might have to shop around for paint instead of just grabbing whatever is at joannes.

AlphaNinn
11-18-2007, 06:45 PM
I've painted twill a few times, and yes, I've always been happy with how the paint took to it. I tend to stick to mid price range soft feel fabric paints. Tulip makes a decent one, so does Folk Art.

There are better ones out there, I'm sure. I've heard good things about Jacquard, but haven't used it yet. And it's easily available in most craft stores. I was going to use that brand on rufflebutt, but I wimped out and appliqued it instead.

FaeandMerfolk
11-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I can't believe I just now found this thread. I must go back and read now.. YAY.

<<<Tsubasa Cosplayer>>>

eeeeehhhhhh nevermind that. Waaaaay too much reading. lol

Okay, so my best friend and I debuted our Tsubasa costumes at Izumicon's first year. While we were not the only clamp characters there, we were the only Syaoran and Sakura there. We had a Kuro in our group and another Kuro and Fai joined us too. Our Tsubasa shoot that we scheduled went really well.

Here's a Group Shot, one with Fai, one without. lol
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1318151
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1318159

And here are my Hime and I together.....
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1318290

Fae

Korinchan
11-19-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm planning on making my first Tsubasa cosplay. It's pretty intimidating, because Clamp has such wonderful costumes.
One of the problems that I'm encountering though, is deciding on what fabric to use. I'm making Sakura's cherry blossom dress, and I just don't know...any suggestions?

Here's a picture of the dress:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/pervyelf123/cherryblossomdress.jpg

silver_wolf
11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
I'm also planning on making a Sakura outfit from one of the artbooks tho which outfit is still being decided upon. I'm also in the process of making Fai's manga cover coat...tho the pattern has been nuthing less then a pain to figure out ><

@Temari_of_Suna: Like sumone else here has said, twill fabric takes well to fabric paint so if ur planning to paint on the design this would be a good fabric choice. Twill is also a heavier fabric so u could get the ruffly effect of Sakura's dress as well as the puffy sleeves.

Korinchan
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Thank you so much!
This may be a stupid question, but do you know if it will take to being dyed very well?

silver_wolf
11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Dyed? I do not knw...but it should because of the fabric material and also because dyes should work with most fabric. Tho I would suggest trying it on a scrap fabric of the same material or asking a person working in the fabric store before purchasing the fabric.

Atashi
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Fabric made of natural fibers (cotton) will take dye very well, while synthetic fibers (polyester, rayon, acrylic) resist dye jobs. I got chocolate, berry juice, blood, and paint into separate cotton garments in different instances, and none of them ever fully washed out. I spilled a bottle of deep purple ink on a polyester shirt once, and it washed out just fine. :)

AlphaNinn
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Cotton twill dyes wonderfully.

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1031967 Not a Tsubasa costume, but a good example of dyed twill. The coat started out as white, and was dyed in less than ideal conditions water tempreature wise. (A big tub of not very warm water in a COLD basement)

And it's a relatively easy fabric to work with.

Atashi
11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know or have the official height of any of the Tsubasa characters? I'm trying to figure who I am the closest to in height. Thanks.

FaeandMerfolk
11-19-2007, 08:06 PM
I haven't been able to find any real character statistics. I even have the character guide, but it doesn't go over physical stats like that...

Good question..

I figured, since I was only 5'3" I could pull off Syaoran since he's short. lol

tsuoi_kaze
11-19-2007, 09:44 PM
I've painted twill a few times, and yes, I've always been happy with how the paint took to it. I tend to stick to mid price range soft feel fabric paints. Tulip makes a decent one, so does Folk Art.

There are better ones out there, I'm sure. I've heard good things about Jacquard, but haven't used it yet. And it's easily available in most craft stores. I was going to use that brand on rufflebutt, but I wimped out and appliqued it instead.

I'm starting to really (REALLY) lean towards twill for the Kimono now.

And thanks for the paint brand suggestions! I'll make a note to look around at a few different craft stores next time I'm out. ^_^

I've also heard of twill being used as lining for a corset, does that really work? I was thinking of using the wrong side of satin (yay for not shiny) for the outside of the corset but I don't want to use the same fabric on the inside as well since I'm not a big fan of satin.

(if I'm being confusing, this is the version of Yuko that I'm doing (http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q92/tsuoi_kaze/holic_keyvisual.jpg))

Jonetsu
11-19-2007, 11:25 PM
I've also heard of twill being used as lining for a corset, does that really work? I was thinking of using the wrong side of satin (yay for not shiny) for the outside of the corset but I don't want to use the same fabric on the inside as well since I'm not a big fan of satin.

(if I'm being confusing, this is the version of Yuko that I'm doing)

I stumbled on here with perfect timing! I actually do a ton of custom corsets.

How heavy is the corset going to be? Will it provide more than a 2 inch waist reduction? If so, you're going to want 3 layers of fabric, your top layer, and then two layers of a heavy duty material (a heavy twill works quite well, but canvas is the best) and steel boning.

If it doesn't have to cinch up too much, then you can go lighter with the materials-a good medium to heavy twill will work just fine for the underlayers. Make sure that if it's going to be quite tight, that you put some sort of boning in it-4-8 sticks of plastic should work ok. And it definitely, definitely will need boning where it closes, to keep it from bunching in that spot. ^^ if you have any other questions on it, please feel free to ask ^^

FaeandMerfolk
11-20-2007, 12:11 PM
eewww. Steel boning, yuck. I use the normal plastic boning in all of my corsets, that way I can still breath some. The plastic is still flexible enough to formfit itself to the body and you can still doing the total cinching up of the waist with the corset.

Renfair nut that I am (not a Rennie. I'm a performer and costumer for the fairs though) I like to do corsets and such, but I also try to go for a little bit of comfort. Only corsets and bodices that call for metal boning are the flat fronted victorian styled ones.

Just my $.02 worth,
Fae

tsuoi_kaze
11-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I stumbled on here with perfect timing! I actually do a ton of custom corsets.

How heavy is the corset going to be? Will it provide more than a 2 inch waist reduction? If so, you're going to want 3 layers of fabric, your top layer, and then two layers of a heavy duty material (a heavy twill works quite well, but canvas is the best) and steel boning.

If it doesn't have to cinch up too much, then you can go lighter with the materials-a good medium to heavy twill will work just fine for the underlayers. Make sure that if it's going to be quite tight, that you put some sort of boning in it-4-8 sticks of plastic should work ok. And it definitely, definitely will need boning where it closes, to keep it from bunching in that spot. ^^ if you have any other questions on it, please feel free to ask ^^

Well, it's more for show then anyting but I do want it to be functional so I would probably go with the lighter materials.
About boning......It seems that plastic would be more comfortable, then.
So I'll need 4-8 sticks of plastic all around the corset and (sorry, I know almost nothing about corset making) I should make sure that it's strongly reinforced where it closes?

I have yet to order the pattern so I'm not too sure about all of the details. Your post definately helped out alot. Thanks!

Jonetsu
11-27-2007, 08:11 PM
no prob. And actually, steel is just as comfortable-the only real difference is that it won't permanetly bend, which plastic definitely will. The only reason steel is though of as far less comfortable, is because it's almost exclusively used in corsets that really cinch. I've been working at CRF (colorado renaissance festival) for about 5 years now, and been making custom corsets for just as long, so I know my bonings-actually, in my older ones I used plasic, and they were actually LESS comfortable, because the after sitting down, the boning would be permanently bunched and poke funny. ^^;;

feytaline
11-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Whee! I'm gonna jump in this thread.

I'm working on a few 'holic costumes at the moment. Last night I began painting on my Zashiki-warashi kimono (http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=164960). And I almost fell asleep on it, good times. I wouldn't have been particularly happy to wake up with pink vines all over my face. I'm also not particularly happy with my fat cat who has gotten pink paint on her paws, though THANKFULLY not on the obi itself.

For Ohayocon, I'm also doing what I have dubbed Butt-cleavage Yuuko (http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=171744). Fear not. My butt will be covered.

And when I whip it out again for Katsucon, I will have my cute bell-boy Watanuki to wait on me hand and foot (since I'm sure the awesome platforms I have to make myself taller than him are going to be KILLING me soon enough.

As for Tsubasa, to cut myself a break from the fancy costumes of death (aka every holic costume ever drawn...) my boyfriend has requested that we do the cafe Syaoran and Sakura. XD I'm not sure when we'll be doing those, but hopefully soon because they look actually comfortable. Now maybe just to be mean I should surprise him and let him know he's going to be Sakura and I'll be Syaoran...

tsuoi_kaze
11-28-2007, 10:46 PM
no prob. And actually, steel is just as comfortable-the only real difference is that it won't permanetly bend, which plastic definitely will. The only reason steel is though of as far less comfortable, is because it's almost exclusively used in corsets that really cinch. I've been working at CRF (colorado renaissance festival) for about 5 years now, and been making custom corsets for just as long, so I know my bonings-actually, in my older ones I used plasic, and they were actually LESS comfortable, because the after sitting down, the boning would be permanently bunched and poke funny. ^^;;

Ah. I'll really have to think about that, then. I didn't want to use steel on my first corset but at the same time I'll probably thank myself later if I make it as comfortable as possible ^^...Well, the corset won't cinch too much, so I guess I'll stick with plastic this time. I'll probably try steel on future corsets, though.

In other news; yay for the Thanksgiving sale! I bought my Yuko wig.

Korinchan
11-28-2007, 11:30 PM
So, I've been working along on my Sakura cosplay, and finished the headpiece for her cherry blossom...outfit...thing.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1337913

So...what do you guys think? It's not too terrible, is it? :3

london2191
11-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Yuuko's head. Is freaking crazy.

http://www.tsubasaholic.com/img.php?image=http://tsubasaholic.doumeki.net/gallery/holic/manga_colored/016.jpg&pagetitle=xxxHOLiC%20Colored%20Manga%20Scans%20Gal lery&description=

She has two little hair things crossing eachother in the back of her head with two gigantic pieces. >_< Help?

FaeandMerfolk
11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Temari, Great job on that headpiece. It looks awesome. I cannot wait to see the rest of the outfit and all of it together.

London, gosh, they look like a ribcage and like nerves. lol.

Cheesey but effective rought would be pipe cleaners. They wouldn't weigh your head down, you can shape them to how you want and attach them to the wig.

Or for that matter, any type of thin wire would work, then you can cover or paint however you wanted.

Good Luck, both of you!
Fae

wyldbratling
11-29-2007, 01:21 PM

I recently had a bunch of advice on making some Victorian style corsets and had the use of cane recommended to me. Reconstructing History sells it in a long spool. I have not tried it myself but according to my re-enactor friends it functions very similar to the whale bone that was used in period corsets, its a little more flexible then steel and weights less, is almost as strong if used properly and doesn’t have the problems of permanently bending out of shape like plastic does.

london2191
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
FaeandMerfolk: For the head pieces or attaching the wig?

I researched last night and I want to use Amphigory's Enchantment. I wanna make a cross like design out of wonderflex and drill a circle of holes in the middle and wrap it in 2 packs of kanekalon extensions and then thread wire through the holes and attach it to the wig. (head is going to explode) Sound okay? Or any suggestions?

FaeandMerfolk
11-30-2007, 10:32 AM
I would use them for the big things sticking out of the wig. lol It might be kinda cheesy but its effective. You can coat them with plastic if you don't want them to be just pipe cleaners. Go to Home Depot or Wallyworld and get plastidip if you want them coated.

That's just my suggestion

london2191
12-01-2007, 12:11 AM
I actually might do that. =) Thanks! *I'm thinking those with model magic around it*

I wish there were more Watanuki cosplayers around. x|