PDA

View Full Version : Comic-Con 2005 hotels

Eurobeat King
01-12-2005, 04:36 PM
A few hours late to post this, but for those interested in reserving rooms for SDCC 2005, you can do so online now at:

www.comic-con.org

The hotels and con-rates went up starting this morning at 10am, and they are going FASSSTT!!! I went online at 10:05am, and already the Hilton Gaslamp (my first choice) was already sold out!! (Makes we wonder if there weren't too many rooms available or did that hotel get taken up by staff, volunteers, and GOH's??) I didn't see the Marriott hotel on the list, surprisingly since I saw it on the website in 2002-2004, but never booked it cos it was expensive.. $200 a night. Soooo, I went with the Manchester Grand Hyatt, where I stayed for SDCC2002, and I got 2 double-beds. :)

I checked just now (2pm) and already the majority of hotels are already SOLD OUT, and if you're trying to find a double-bed room close to the convention center, you may be out of luck.. :lost: Even one-bed rooms may not be available..

So good luck in getting a room, and I hope you are able to get what you're looking for (or 2nd or 3rd choice.) See you in the summer!!

JoeBoeing
01-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I know... I called at 10:15 p.m and the only hotel free was the Omni at 1 room (single bed) left which I took. I was really hoping for the Hilton but it was not to be.

So, not I need to find a roomie that doesn't mind the floor since I have a super bad back.

FRom,
Joe

kelldar
01-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I called like, too early, and they actually took my reservation. I called back to make a change and they told me they weren't taking reservations yet, wtf! Ha. I'm in the Omni again, because I *loved* it last year :)

ACXchan
01-13-2005, 01:22 AM
My head hurts over being really late on this hotel stuff... I'm at a loss for what to pick seeing as how I have very few choices now @D@

ZiggyB
01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Try to balance distance from the convention center and price. If you're planning to do a lot of costume changes or just lazy and don't want to walk. ;-) Get the closest hotel you can afford.

If you're only wearing one costume a day and don't mind a walk, taxi, bus ride, save some money and stay a little farther away.

As for me and my friends we're pretty close the the convention center as they have a lot of costume changes to do and I'm a lazy ass. ;-)

ACXchan
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
You make me jealous, Ziggy. I don't plan on changing costumes often but two of them have giant wings that I don't want to carry or wear walking seven blocks down to the convention center @D@ I have a car though so now it's more like balancing price + price of parking in two different places.

Eurobeat King
01-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Last year I booked my room like a few weeks after they put up the prices for the hotels, and I managed to get a one-bed room at the Horton Grand, which was the only CLOSE hotel that still had space.. THIS year, the attendees gobbled up the close-hotels within a few hours, first for those with 2 or more beds, and then even the single-bed rooms are gone.. :lost: I'm really surprised though, that the Marriott, the hotel right next to the CC wasn't even listed as a choice this year.. I wanted to stay there, and I wouldn't mind paying $200+ a night, cos it's so close and you don't have to cross any streets, but it wasn't available in the listing.. Not fair.. :untrust: But my bro and I are satisfied with the Hyatt. It'll bring back memories to our first SDCC back in 2002. :)

ACXchan
01-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I wonder why it wasn't available in the listing... And going from a few weeks after the release dates for booking to only a few hours is a huge change @D@ I better not be SOL... T__T

JoeBoeing
01-14-2005, 11:15 AM
How far away is the marriott? Is it closer than the omni? or are they both on the same block? The person on the phone said that the Marriott is right next to the onmi across the street from the convention center. Hoever the SDCC's site said the Omni is across the street and the Marriott is 2 blocks away.

Can someone clarify this delima for me?

From,
Joe

Keiichi-san
01-14-2005, 11:17 PM
My roommate and I just booked our room at the Wyndham at Emerald Plaza. We wanted either the Marriott Hotel & Marina or the Omni, but both look to be booked solid.

I can't believe how quickly those hotels filled up. We were only a few hours late getting to the reservation page and virtually all the hotels within 3 miles of the convention center were completely filled. As it is, we'll have to walk 10 blocks from the Wyndham to the SDCC, and even then we ended up having to share a one-bed room (king-size, thankfully) because doubles were virtually nonexistent.

By the way, has anyone here ever stayed at the Wyndham and what were your impressions of it? It looks like a ritzy joint, but looks can be deceiving.

-K1

BlueLady
01-15-2005, 01:21 AM
I got my usual room at the sheraton suites..go me XD

Look forward to seeing people at con!

kelldar
01-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Joe - I could be wrong, but I *think* the Marriott is directly across the street from the Omni. I remember them building something last year across the street from us (they were welding at 1AM one night...), and on one of the maps I look at this it looked like that's where it was.

Neo_Serenity
01-17-2005, 12:16 AM
I took a tip from BlueLady's post and also booked a suite at the Sheraton. Sheesh... parking is so expensive... they should validate for hotel guests.

Rooms are really going fast. We're sharing a king bed too, but its all good because it's one of my best friends. I could have gotten a double at a different hotel, but it was the same price, farther away, no fridge, etc. And at least we have the extra space of the suite. ^^

See you guys there!!

BlueLady
01-18-2005, 06:22 PM
its a nice hotel ( warning the parking structure is SCARY!! ) here are 2 sections of parking ( at least there were) The 15 or 20 dollar a day parking and the 12? dollar a day section for hotel guests. Hopefully they have the same deal.

The room after taxes was 169 a night. I believe there will be 4 people in out room but things change so we will see haha.

Neo_Serenity
01-19-2005, 12:07 AM
its a nice hotel ( warning the parking structure is SCARY!! ) here are 2 sections of parking ( at least there were) The 15 or 20 dollar a day parking and the 12? dollar a day section for hotel guests. Hopefully they have the same deal.

The room after taxes was 169 a night. I believe there will be 4 people in out room but things change so we will see haha.

That's good to know parking is a little less for hotel guests. We *might* let one or two other people stay with us to keep the room expenses down, but we have to see as it gets a little closer. ^^

Why is the parking structure scary? Too dark? Or just hard to navigate? Also, how did you feel the shuttle the hotel provides to the con center worked out?

Eurobeat King
01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
The Marriott hotel (the one that is NOT listed in the SDCC2005 hotels list) is located right next to the SDConventionCenter, right outside where HALL A is located. You exit the hall and make a left, and the first hotel you come to is the Marriott. That's THE closest hotel to the convention center w/o having to cross any streets (or trolley-tracks.) I have to bypass it everytime to/from the Hyatt.

aznaphrodite
01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Despite being sicker than a dog on 1/12, I set an alarm to wake up at 10 am and booked my 1st choice hotel, the Omni. I stayed at the Omni last year and I loved it. It's brand new, fancy, and right across from the con!

I've stayed at the Horton Grand before and I thought it was scary. The hotel advertises that it's haunted and it's just really old. We could hear the elevator run all night and it kept me up. =(

I've also stayed at the US Grant, which is a nice hotel, but too far away from the con for a cosplayer who has to wear high-heeled shoes. We were going to rely on the shuttles to get to the con but every shuttle that came by was full! I decided never to stay that far away again.

Ally D
01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
I got a decent room @ the Comfort Inn Gaslamp it's not on the list, but I still got a pretty good deal. $169 a night plus tax for 3 people. It's not the Omni, but so far this is the closest I've ever gotten. Usually I'm stuck over on Hotel Circle Dr. and have to either drive to the convention center or take the trolley. And doing that the last two year definitely sucked my wallet dry. Being that it's not on the list Comfort Inn may have a room or two left. I don't know, but I say it's worth a try for those who still don't have a room and wanna be closer.

Dany
01-20-2005, 12:33 PM
I got a room at the Holiday Inn by the Bay for 152/night, presently for two people. Not sure yet if I'll be keeping it, however...

It's a nice place, a bit distant, but it has a shuttle stop and an outdoor pool...plus if you get a room on the bay side, you can have a fantastic view. I stayed there in 2004 and was able to watch the fireworks for the USS Ronald Reagan from my porch, and woke up on Sunday morning with a cruise ship staring me in the face.

Also, the Star of India and the HMS Surprise (From Master & Commander) are within walking distance. The Surprise has costumes and stuff from the movie, and you can visit her and the Star for fairly cheep.

BlueLady
01-21-2005, 10:26 AM
neo~ The parking is on the 7th (8th?) floor. You have to drive up this scary sprial ramp of neverending turning ( and I was starting to get dizzy). I guess it is worse for me because i have no depth perception. So long as you dont drive an suv you should be fine, but fair warning XD

The trolly was pretty good. Its typical public transpertation (puke), but because its just for the comic con people at least there is good company. It's nice for me as well cause I could haul along my vast amounts of free stuff easily.

White Lotus
03-06-2005, 12:43 AM
I was going to try and see if I could get someone to go with me, but I don't think that is going to happen now and I am looking to share a room with anyone. I thought here was a different thread fot this, but I can't seem to find it. If anyone is intrested or if you know someone, let me know.

ACXchan
03-06-2005, 02:31 AM
I was looking to share a room closer to the convention center as well to avoid parking fees as well as public bathroom costume changes ^ ^;;