PDA

View Full Version : Manga and Comic Cosplay Together

raevyn
01-13-2005, 09:22 PM
One of the things that have made me a bit wary of Comic-con is that there will also be cosplayers and fans of American comics. Is there any animosity between Manga and American comic cosplayers?

Sorry if this sounds really ignorant, but i was just wondering about the interactions at Comic-con.

Neo_Serenity
01-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Not that I've seen. A lot of people at ComicCon are not even in cosplay. Since manga is technically a Japanese comic, I think anything you pick from one would be pretty safe. Even if it's not, who cares, as long as it makes you happy.

And don't worry, you don't sound ignorant. It never hurts to ask! :)

Rogue Marvel
01-20-2005, 04:54 PM
I cosplayed anime, video game and american comic at Comic con and been fine.

This year I am adding a manga costume in the mix.

I have never had any proplems. I'm sure alot of the cosplayers you will see are typicaly anime cosplayers but you will also see many who only do sci-fi/american comic stuff. Generaly the only gap between the two types is age. Anime cosplayers tend to be younger while sci-fi cosplayers tend to be older. Of course there is no rule that says it has to be like that I have seen older anime cosplayers and younger sci-fi only cosplayers. It just tends to be the other way because of social trends. Kind of like how there are more older men then older women but often more younger girls then younger boys at anime cons.

Dany
01-20-2005, 05:23 PM
None that I've seen. San Diego is a nice happy blend of stuff as far as I can tell. While its basis is in comics, there has been more and more media, especially with all of the movies that are from comics and comics that come from movies, etc. Cross-pollenization runs rampant :) Also, there are many who are into both American and Japanese stuff, which is why you see both there.

I think you'll be just fine, and likely will find plenty anime types in costume, so you won't feel so alone.

Anna_Chan
01-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Most of the American comic/movie cosplayers just give us Japanese manga/Anime cosplayers a wide berth- since we are sometimes known to suddenly without warning start small skits in the middle of the Con floor or carry huge pieces of equipment.

BlueLady
01-27-2005, 12:08 PM
personally thats what makes comic con better then the anime cons for me. More diversity!. Everyone is pretty supportive of each other, and i rarely see the bitchiness of the " Im wearing that costume why's she??!" bullshit.

Dany
01-27-2005, 12:17 PM
personally thats what makes comic con better then the anime cons for me. More diversity!. Everyone is pretty supportive of each other, and i rarely see the bitchiness of the " Im wearing that costume why's she??!" bullshit.

I think it's simply too big for that to happen. You could have three of the same character and due to schedules and the sheer size of the convention alone, the chances that one will see the other two run very low.

I found out that there was another Mina at last year's SDCC, but I didn't even know she was there until I saw a picture of her, well after the convention was over. I would not be surprised if there were one or two others as well...and if I did see her? Well, I'd be kind of happy :)

Anna_Chan
01-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Wel, I had met about three different Links at CC2003 and all we did is talk about how well our costumes are made and how the other, detailed pieces were made. I didn't start anything with anyone, and I haven't heard of any fights breaking out between comic/movie Cosplayers manga/anime cosplayers.

Dany
01-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Wel, I had met about three different Links at CC2003 and all we did is talk about how well our costumes are made and how the other, detailed pieces were made. I didn't start anything with anyone, and I haven't heard of any fights breaking out between comic/movie Cosplayers manga/anime cosplayers.

The incentive to keep one's badge and attend the convention in its entirety, instead of being booted out on one's ear, is a big one indeed ;)

Anna_Chan
01-27-2005, 11:24 PM
........What?? Did anyone understand that...?

grandis
01-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Everyone is pretty supportive of each other...

I usually see that too.

Grandis