PDA

View Full Version : Kagura (inuyasha) costume... Any Ideas???

Hikari Kiara
01-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Hihi!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a Kagura costume? Um... I guess the real problem is, can anyone help me with where to get the fabrics??? Thanks Much!!

purplevix
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Hihi!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a Kagura costume? Um... I guess the real problem is, can anyone help me with where to get the fabrics??? Thanks Much!!

A friend of mine did one, and wat she did was make it out of a more heavyweight cotton, and then painted the red stripes on. She deosn't have any pics of it in her gallery, but she just drew the stripes on with red colored pencil, then painted it with acrylics. There are those that would recommend other painting methods, but that's what she used, and it looks pretty good.

Which kimono are you making? She goes through three in the series as she gets random holes punctured through her. So if you're noticing as you gather pictures that they're all a bit different, that's because they are.

Christine

Wind Archer
01-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Hmm, well, I think the print Kagura has on her striped kimono is going to be hard to find, so I think you'd have better luck with buying white, and burgundy/pink fabric separately, and sewing the stripes on the white fabric.

Hikari Kiara
01-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the ideas!!! Um, I'm going to make the basic magenta/burgyndy-ish stripes on white, with the blue second layer kimono, and I'll do an illusion like collar for the green one... Oh, yea, I forgot to ask, Any pattern recomendations?? :square:

purplevix
01-17-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas!!! Um, I'm going to make the basic magenta/burgyndy-ish stripes on white, with the blue second layer kimono, and I'll do an illusion like collar for the green one... Oh, yea, I forgot to ask, Any pattern recomendations?? :square:

Simplicity makes a good kimono pattern, it's in the coats and jackets section of the books. Once you've made it, lay it out in a long space and sketch out your design with a marking pencil. Then do your painting. Put newspaper or cardboard between the two layers of fabric so it doesn't bleed.

Oh, and about that Kimono pattern, don't leave out the lining because it won't come out right. The lining is crucial to the construction process of it all. It doesn't have to be contrast, but you can simply add that amount of fabric to the amount that the main part of it calls for.

Good luck!

Christine

Hikari Kiara
01-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Wow! Ok, thanks sooo much for the advice! My last thought is: Does anyone have any ideas on how to do the silvery design on the navy blue kimono?? (worn under the red and white one)?? I was just thinking that some fabric paints wouldn't show up properly...
Thanks again!

:angel:

evil_dramaqueen
01-22-2005, 08:40 PM
you could purchase silver metalic thread and embroider it in, but I dont know what the kimono looks like...O_O so that might be to much work lol.

Hikari Kiara
01-24-2005, 06:52 PM
Yea... Here's a picture, but it's not very good in ways of the second kimono...
Kagura's Kimono (http://kikouyous.web.free.fr/Inuyasha/Kagura.jpg)
any other ideas based on this?? (I think Embroidery would look great, but I know for a fact that metalic embroidery floss is a pain...) Thanks again for the continuous help!

R1KKu
01-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Yea... Here's a picture, but it's not very good in ways of the second kimono...
Kagura's Kimono (http://kikouyous.web.free.fr/Inuyasha/Kagura.jpg)
any other ideas based on this?? (I think Embroidery would look great, but I know for a fact that metalic embroidery floss is a pain...) Thanks again for the continuous help!

Im sure that several layers of fabric paint (even acrylic paint has worked for me on a costume) would show up better. You could also try appliques (ironing Heat N Bond onto fabric, then cut out the fabric in the squigly shapes and then ironing them onto the kimono, a bit time-consuming, but Ive seen some good results with this) I want to say fabric markers too, but I dont think a light colored marker would show up on the darker fabric color (Ive only used the markers once)