PDA

View Full Version : Workshops

Hazel Chaz
01-17-2005, 10:04 PM
I got a sewing machine for my birthday, what do I now? Bring your sewing machine and the manual on Saturday and we'll help you get started with your new toy. (Sign-ups limited depending on how many experienced people we get to help out the new folks -- want to help us on this one?)

Kimonothon. Sunday morning we're making kimonos. Want to make one? Want to help others with them? Bring: six yards of cheap fabric, thread, scissors, measuring tape, pins, i.e. a basic sewing kit. The fabric doesn't need to be prewashed, since we want people to be able to show up on Sunday morning if they decide to. The nearest JoAnn's is Tampa and Vanowen, about 15 minutes from the hotel. Sewing machine optional, but if you can bring yours to help those who don't have a machine, so much the better.

Staff meeting. Simple prop construction, starting with a length of closet rod. There's a Home Depot behind the airport, so you can buy a big wooden dowel, and we'll have stuff to decorate it with, and advice on what to do next.

Kokuu
01-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Oooo... these workshops sound like a lot of fun. I'll probably bring my sewing machine along since I'm not very good at working with others. When's the staff workshop going to be?

Hazel Chaz
01-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Oooo... these workshops sound like a lot of fun. I'll probably bring my sewing machine along since I'm not very good at working with others. When's the staff workshop going to be?

End of the day on Saturday. Probably 4pm or 5pm.

Incidentally, it's not too early to suggest workshop ideas for Anime Los Angeles 2.

inu-chan00
01-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Hello, I have questions reguarding the kimono workshop on saturday. But first of all let me say that me and my friend are overjoyed by this. Shes been wanting to get a yukina cosplay done, but neither has the time nor skills. So these commisioned kimonos are a good help to her: Ok here are the questions:
1)We didnt have enough $$$ buy 5-6 yards of frabic,so we checked a pattern,and only bought the material needed for her shape and sive. Which comes to about 3 1/2 -4 yards.Will this be ok?
2) The material we bought. Will it be used for our kimono or someone elses and we just pick up a random kimono sunday? Do we put our names down for it?
3) Are measurments needed at all?
4) along with the kimono, will an obi be made with it?
Ok thats all I have for that, if my questions could be answered a.s.a.p that would be great, thanks for your time
Ja ne

Evil Bishounen
01-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I think the point is to learn to make your own kimono, not have someone else make it entirely for you... O.o

And logistically speaking as far as construction goes, 3 1/2 - 4 yards should be ok. However, this is assuming the fabric is a 60" width; you'd need 5-6 yards if the fabric is a 45" width.

Hazel Chaz
01-25-2005, 02:35 AM
Hello, I have questions reguarding the kimono workshop on saturday. But first of all let me say that me and my friend are overjoyed by this. Shes been wanting to get a yukina cosplay done, but neither has the time nor skills. So these commisioned kimonos are a good help to her: Ok here are the questions:
1)We didnt have enough $$$ buy 5-6 yards of frabic,so we checked a pattern,and only bought the material needed for her shape and sive. Which comes to about 3 1/2 -4 yards.Will this be ok? If you're bringing the pattern, then that should be fine. Do you have a sewing machine too?

2) The material we bought. Will it be used for our kimono or someone elses and we just pick up a random kimono sunday? Do we put our names down for it? The idea is that you bring the fabric (and please don't get the cheapo thread, btw; it shreds inside the machines) and together you learn how to make a kimono out of it. If you don't have a sewing machine, someone else will be driving, but you'll be involved in the whole thing. (By the way, we've left the noon timeslot open, in case the workshop runs over, and to give us time to pack up all our sewing machines.)

3) Are measurments needed at all? Yes, that's why we ask you to bring a measuring tape.

4) along with the kimono, will an obi be made with it? Not likely; this is mostly all about kimonos, with a little talk about all the different (including non-Japanese) costumes that can be built around one.

We're going to do costume workshops next year, too; it's not too early to start talking about ideas for what to do next year. (Someone want to start a thread?)

inu-chan00
01-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh im sorry, I thought it was a "give and go ,then pick up after " kinda thing, Im sure she'll be theyre sunday trying to make her kimono. Thank you for the answeres to my questions. And yes, she has a sewing machine ^__^

Hazel Chaz
01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was a "give and go, then pick up after" kinda thing, I'm sure she'll be theyre sunday trying to make her kimono. Thank you for the answers to my questions. And yes, she has a sewing machine ^__^

Good that you asked the question, then; I'll want to make that abundantly clear in the program book. Yes, we want people to learn to do this themselves -- that's why we have the basic sewing class on Saturday, to try to get more people involved with the actual sewing.