PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Policy

Katamari
01-18-2005, 02:45 AM
I've searched through the Anime L.A. website as well as the forums for a weapons policy, but found nothing concrete. Other than general rules such as no live steel, what other restrictions are there? I'd like to know where and when to get my gunblade peace-bonded if required.

Hazel Chaz
01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. The use of a weapon during the Masquerade or during a programming event must be approved by the Masquerade Director or the Programming Coordinator respectively. No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.

Anime Los Angeles defines a weapon as any object designed to cause damage, or any replica of such an object, or any object that the Committee determines to pose a risk to the safety of others or to personal or hotel property. The Committee reserves the right to alter or amend this definition and the right to impound weapons for the duration of Anime Los Angeles. Failure to surrender a weapon for impounding is grounds for immediate revocation of membership without refund and expulsion from the convention.

Dealers who sell weapons must securely wrap each item at the point of sale and provide each customer with a printed copy of these rules.

We at Anime Los Angeles know that most people who would like to carry weapons are sensible and careful individuals. However, we must keep in mind liability, legal issues and our relationship with the hotel. The safety of you, the members, must outweigh any other consideration and it is with this in mind that these policies have been formed.

Jinyo
01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.
Does this mean sheathed, peacebonded weapons will be permitted? Will there be a weapons check-in, inspection, or peacebonding station?

Hazel Chaz
01-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Does this mean sheathed, peacebonded weapons will be permitted? Will there be a weapons check-in, inspection, or peacebonding station?

If you stop by the Office (ask at Registration) we can get you set up. If you already have something to peacebond it with, you get bonus points.

starlet_flower
01-18-2005, 02:39 PM
oh, that's good to know, since my weapon definately needs to be peace-bonded.

PikminLink
01-18-2005, 03:01 PM
my weapon needs peacebonding then.

What about props that arent swords or in any type of weapon form? Like a Staff or something? do those need to be checked too?

Gainax Boy
01-18-2005, 04:43 PM
My Shinai would probably have to be Peacebonded as well then.

Tokyo Kitty
01-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the info. My weapon needs peacebonding as well then.

Hazel Chaz
01-18-2005, 07:38 PM
my weapon needs peacebonding then.

What about props that arent swords or in any type of weapon form? Like a Staff or something? do those need to be checked too?

If you use it like a walking stick and don't wave it around, we won't have a problem. If you're going to use it like a weapon, we're going to object.

Jaina Solo
01-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Okay... Going back a few quotes here...

I want to hear this straight from the horse's mouth: Are we talking no real swords, like a katana or a sakabatou? Or those are allowed as long as they're peace-bonded and unable to be drawn? I'm assuming no live steel, but this seems to never been totally clear. And how about a bokken? Probably same as a shinai--would have to be peace-bound? I'll check in at the office just to be safe.

Hazel Chaz
01-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I want to hear this straight from the horse's mouth: Are we talking no real swords, like a katana or a sakabatou? Or those are allowed as long as they're peace-bonded and unable to be drawn? I'm assuming no live steel, but this seems to never been totally clear. And how about a bokken? Probably same as a shinai--would have to be peace-bound? I'll check in at the office just to be safe.

Peace-binding is what we're after here. We don't want you to draw your weapon; we don't want anyone else to be able to come up and draw your weapon.

If it's a sheathed weapon that can't be drawn, it doesn't matter if it's real or not -- it's not coming out. That's where we're coming from, we don't want anyone drawing a weapon.

If by "live steel" you mean visible blades that you can touch -- or a live steel mock combat demonstration -- we don't want that. No, no, no. If you want to have a sword that stays peacebound in its scabbard, though, we can handle that.

Sana-chan
01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
So not even an obviously plastic toy sword replica is allowed?

PikminLink
01-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Peace-binding is what we're after here. We don't want you to draw your weapon; we don't want anyone else to be able to come up and draw your weapon.

If it's a sheathed weapon that can't be drawn, it doesn't matter if it's real or not -- it's not coming out. That's where we're coming from, we don't want anyone drawing a weapon.

aww this sucks much! i always walk around with my wooden sword prop at all cons and i never caused or had any problems, and i never hand them over to people i dont personally know. this feels like punishment to the people who actually care alot about their props. its not like im gonna go swing it around attacking people, and thats why no one should let anyone else hold their prop if they dont know the person personally. Some of those uncaring people would want to act all mighty and have fun with swords and stuff.......but not with mine thats for sure. (sorry but it gets me upset when us caring people have to hide our stuff, my outfit is incomplete without my sword-_-) and my props mean alot to me (an im sure alot of others feel the same about theirs)

starlet_flower
01-19-2005, 02:13 PM
eh, definately really sucks. i mean, my weapon isn't steel. it's not sharp, and i have a sheath for it, but it's still metal. i probably won't be able to bring it in then...which'll make my costume pretty pointless without it.

Hazel Chaz
01-19-2005, 02:44 PM
aww this sucks much! i always walk around with my wooden sword prop at all cons and i never caused or had any problems, and i never hand them over to people i dont personally know. this feels like punishment to the people who actually care alot about their props. its not like im gonna go swing it around attacking people, and thats why no one should let anyone else hold their prop if they dont know the person personally. Some of those uncaring people would want to act all mighty and have fun with swords and stuff.......but not with mine thats for sure. (sorry but it gets me upset when us caring people have to hide our stuff, my outfit is incomplete without my sword-_-) and my props mean alot to me (an im sure alot of others feel the same about theirs)

I'm asking you to have your weapon peace-bound. That is, stop by the office, and make sure that it's tied securely in place (wherever you're carrying it; typically this means tied to a sheath, or scabbard, or your belt or something). While you're at the convention, don't untie it and wave it around. And while it's tied down, nobody else can run up and grab it from you either.

We're not asking you to ruin the whole costume for us. We're just asking you to refrain from drawing your weapon, and to help us ensure that nobody else can draw it either.

Hazel Chaz
01-19-2005, 02:45 PM
eh, definately really sucks. i mean, my weapon isn't steel. it's not sharp, and i have a sheath for it, but it's still metal. i probably won't be able to bring it in then...which'll make my costume pretty pointless without it.

If you keep it tied down so it can't be pulled out of the sheath, you're okay. That's what "peace-binding" is all about...

PikminLink
01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
yeah, but sheath it, so we cant hold it in our hands, and pose with them to take pictures and stuff. What if one of our weapons has no sheath to be put into?

DivineSage
01-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry if I'm reinventing the wheel here, but props made of unharmful material, such as foamboard are ok, right? Will I have to check it? Because I'm not Riku without my keyblade!

Beat Takeshi
01-21-2005, 06:49 PM
I wish to bring plastic squirt guns spray painted black for the possible Battle Royale Gathering. I also have a plastic toy shank, with spring loaded blade for the fake stabbing effect. Will I need to get these items peace-bonded?

thenonthinker
01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
What if one of our weapons has no sheath to be put into?

exactly. my two keyblades (made of just plain wood) don't really have a sheath to put into...and they can't really be tied around my waist, unless you really want to cripple me from walking. i mean these things are big, but perfectly harmless. what danger does a big key-looking-thing put anyone in?

should i just not bring them at all, then?

and what about those overly crappy plastic swords that you get from like junk stores? those can't be pulled out either for just pictures?

Anele
01-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Urm... I just won't mention that I'll be carrying around my character-needed masamune... o_O (no sheath for THAT, lol). Then again, I've carried that thing around with no problems at all. What's going to happen with that?

Hazel Chaz
01-22-2005, 12:31 AM
I wish to bring plastic squirt guns spray painted black for the possible Battle Royale Gathering. I also have a plastic toy shank, with spring loaded blade for the fake stabbing effect. Will I need to get these items peace-bonded?

Please leave the black-painted replica guns home. (See the very first sentence of the weapons policy.) And the blade should be peace-bonded, plastic or not.

Anele
01-22-2005, 12:38 AM
My masamune will get peace-bonded, believe me. Another question: are the peace-binders/binders/ties going to be somewhat hard to see on weapons, solely for photo purposes (i.e. neon pink on black XD)?

Hazel Chaz
01-22-2005, 02:28 AM
My masamune will get peace-bonded, believe me. Another question: are the peace-binders/binders/ties going to be somewhat hard to see on weapons, solely for photo purposes (i.e. neon pink on black XD)?

We've got a committee meeting in 12 hours. In 24 hours, I'll have some answers, to (hopefully) find a balance between the demands of safety, prudence, and photo opportunities. So stay tuned -- I'll be back.

Anele
01-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks much, Chaz. Good luck with everything.

Hazel Chaz
01-22-2005, 03:56 PM
You can pose for pictures with your props (swords, staffs, keyblades, etc.), at the three gathering places. Just bind them up afterwards, and don't horse around with them.

Big foam keyblades are obviously not realistic weapons; they are props.

Seig Warheit
01-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Ok... so this is my costume.... and I will have THAT sword right there....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Seig_Warheit/Costume%20pics/clegionart002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Seig_Warheit/Costume%20pics/clegionart027.jpg

Sooo.... Here's my question: There is no sheath, and the sword is made out of foam only it won't look like foam, but it will when you pick it up and whatnot. The thing is, it will indeed look fairly realistic, only it will be far from being so. I would be carrying it in my right hand just as the character does ALL the time. How do you peacebond it like that? At AX I had my Buster Sword peace bonded, which was made out of fiberglass and foam, just as this will be...

ACXchan
01-23-2005, 01:47 AM
You can pose for pictures with your props (swords, staffs, keyblades, etc.), at the three gathering places. Just bind them up afterwards, and don't horse around with them.

Big foam keyblades are obviously not realistic weapons; they are props.
I'm going to assume this applies to non-battle ready weapons only. I have a sword I want to bring, it's made of steel and would be considered battle-ready if I were to sharpen it, however I keep it with a very blunt edge for these kinds of cosplay opportunities. I'm guessing that I can bring it but am allowed to take it out of its sheath ONLY for pictures in which there's a sufficient amount of space for me to take it out in the first place (ie. outdoors @D@). Any weapon/prop with an unsafe edge or point and any gun (caps or no caps) without an incredibly obvious orange tip are *completely* prohibited?

Karisu-sama
01-23-2005, 01:50 AM
It doesn't "suck" if you're only expected to peacebond when you are outside the designated gathering places - 99.99% of photos will be taken THERE, and having peacebonding elsewhere makes the hotel and people attending the concurrent other even at the hotel breathe a sigh of relief. We don't want to come across as a "social menace".

I'm assuming from what Chaz mentioned that the peacebonding will be something that can be temporarily removed for photoshoots in the gathering areas, since he SAID there are 3 places they can be unbound for photoshoots.

I am also assuming that the ImageCraft Photoshoot Room would be an acceptable place to have weapons out for posing... :)

Hazel Chaz
01-23-2005, 02:11 AM
Ok... so this is my costume.... and I will have THAT sword right there....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Seig_Warheit/Costume%20pics/clegionart002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Seig_Warheit/Costume%20pics/clegionart027.jpg

Sooo.... Here's my question: There is no sheath, and the sword is made out of foam only it won't look like foam, but it will when you pick it up and whatnot. The thing is, it will indeed look fairly realistic, only it will be far from being so. I would be carrying it in my right hand just as the character does ALL the time. How do you peacebond it like that? At AX I had my Buster Sword peace bonded, which was made out of fiberglass and foam, just as this will be...

You're fine. We have decreed that a big foam sword-shaped prop is not a weapon. (Unless you hit someone with it, then it's a weapon. But you'll be careful because you don't want to break the darned thing...)

People who are carrying plastic or foam sword props, and who behave themselves, are not going to get hassled. (Where possible, we want things peace-bonded, especially if you've got something that could do damage if pulled out of the sheath. But we're not going to be unreasonable.) We have a couple of people lined up to generally keep an eye on things in the photo areas (you'll know them by their "Adult Supervision" tags), and to watch out for inappropriate horseplay; but based on the behavior I've seen of cosplayers posing for photos at AX, I'm not that worried that any of you are going to be problems. (And if people get out of hand, they'll get a warning before we go to any extreme lengths; we want people to enjoy themselves, not to be pissed off because they were thrown out of the con.)

Our primary concern is that the fans who are into detective stories and police stories and so forth leave their plastic guns at home. Remind me to tell you about the idiot in the bunny suit with the toy rifle...

Any weapon/prop with an unsafe edge or point and any gun (caps or no caps) without an incredibly obvious orange tip are *completely* prohibited?

These are two questions. Let me answer them separately.

Weapon/prop with an unsafe edge or point -- peace-bind it; you can temporarily remove it for photos in the photo areas, then tie it back up again. We'll have people to help with that.

Guns: Leave them home. I'm quite serious. Leave the toy guns home. We have a prohibition against projectile weapons and replicas thereof. Please take this seriously. Everybody clear on that?

I am also assuming that the ImageCraft Photoshoot Room would be an acceptable place to have weapons out for posing...

Yes. Tie 'em up before you leave the room, that's what we're asking for.

ACXchan
01-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Weapon/prop with an unsafe edge or point -- peace-bind it; you can temporarily remove it for photos in the photo areas, then tie it back up again. We'll have people to help with that.
Thank you, that clears up a lot for me ^ ^ Temporary peace-bonding is the way you guys are going then, nothing like airport style zip-ties unless the supervisors plan to have scissors on them 24/7 lol.

Sorry to go OT but... Karisu, you're gonna have a photoroom?? When do we get to find out more about this XD?

Katamari
01-23-2005, 02:37 AM
Since plastic and foam props are allowed, will a wood based prop also be acceptable? I don't exactly have a sheath to place my gunblade in...

Hazel Chaz
01-23-2005, 03:39 AM
Since plastic and foam props are allowed, will a wood based prop also be acceptable? I don't exactly have a sheath to place my gunblade in...

Just don't whack anyone with it. Your big gunblade prop is a prop, and doesn't look like an actual gun.

Just remember that anything you use to hit someone is automatically considered a weapon... until then, your wooden prop is a prop, not a weapon.

Karisu-sama
01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Sorry to go OT but... Karisu, you're gonna have a photoroom?? When do we get to find out more about this XD?
Knowing Chaz, it'll probably be in the program book. :)

ACXchan
01-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Okay cool, and also good to know that we can brandish weapons there for photos though I don't think I'll be bringing my rapier along to this XD

Hazel Chaz
01-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Knowing Chaz, it'll probably be in the program book. :)

Funny you should mention that, I just finished writing the first draft of the program book (see http://www.anime-la.org/anime-la/bbs/ to take a sneak peak) and I completely forgot about listing our dealers. I'll have to do that when I get back to work in the afternoon.

Anime Palace
Cartoon Passion
Drunken Master
Eanime
EarthDaughter Arts
The Hornsmythe
ImageCraft Photostudio

List subject to change in the event of a cancellation.

and the restaurant/local stuff guide needs to go in too.

Arin
01-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Sounds good to me! I'm bringing my set of bow and arrows. The arrows have removeable rubber tips, so their shouldn't be any problem.

Kokuu
01-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but the weapons policy states: It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. I have these spiffy cool Yuna guns (check my gallery for pictures) that aren't all that realistic(it's REALLY obvious that they are wood), but I'd like to have them for a photo shoot (I wanna check out Karisu's photo-room). I understand not carrying them during the con, but would it be possible that I check them in, retrieve them for the photo shoot, and then check them back in? Or could I possibly carry them in a bag or something like that?

Hazel Chaz
01-27-2005, 01:08 AM
Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but the weapons policy states: It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. I have these spiffy cool Yuna guns (check my gallery for pictures) that aren't all that realistic(it's REALLY obvious that they are wood), but I'd like to have them for a photo shoot (I wanna check out Karisu's photo-room). I understand not carrying them during the con, but would it be possible that I check them in, retrieve them for the photo shoot, and then check them back in? Or could I possibly carry them in a bag or something like that?

Without seeing them, I can't say for sure, but based on what you've told me it sounds like there probably won't be any problems. If you want, check with us at the Office when you arrive... (What's the URL for your gallery?)

Kokuu
01-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Here's the link:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=255754

I just wanted to double check to make sure it was ok, before I brought them. I can completly understand why the no-gun policy is in place. A giant over-sized sword obviously looks fake, but even with a fantasy style gun such as mine, it still is gun-shaped, and cops shoot first and ask questions later. Heck cops have shot little kids because they were holding a piece of plastic pipe with a bend in it.