PDA

View Full Version : So what was the deal with those dolls???

Sakana_Janai
01-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Ok, I think I missed something. Maybe it was mostly a J-pop thing, but what was the deal with those freaky dolls that a lot of people were carrying around? I saw the one dressed up as Takto and Naruto (maybe it was the same one, I dunno) and thought they were cool, but since when do dollies cosplay too??

I just don't get it. Is this a new cosplay thing that I've missed out on, or what?

Ameria
01-19-2005, 12:56 PM
They're called Super Dollfies, and they're very detailed (and expensive) dolls from Japan. They've become a sort of collector's item, and a lot of people like to show off theirs in pretty outfits or even as a cosplay accessory (like Naruto and Takuto). Sometimes there are Dollfie panels at cons.

KnuxieChan
01-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I think they're freaky o__o;

YokanShinya
01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
o-o.
Freaky?

They're not all called Super Dollfies. I didn't see one Super Dollfie. They are ball jointed dolls (BJD) and most of them, besides Volks, are from Korea.
They're not just a "cosplay thing". They range in price from around $350 UDS to over $2,000 USD. And "freaky" is a little bit offensive...

http://www.pbase.com/yokan_shinya

There's tons of pics of them in my Ohayocon gallery here.

chibi_kitsune
01-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Man those dolls are exspenive, even with a job now I don't think I can buy one of those but some of them are cute though.

Killmesarah
01-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I actually think they are creepy too. Cool- but most definatly give me the chills.
It would be cool to have one to dress up, carry around and such... but I think I would be afraid of it.
Too many flashbacks of that movie Dolls O_O

-S

ArsenalFierce13
01-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I like the idea of Dollfies, making mini-costumes and dressing them up and all, but I think the Dollfies themselves are kind of creepy looking.

Jayyne
01-19-2005, 05:12 PM
I've been coveting the Super Dollfies or similar dolls...what is the least expensive doll in that size (what is it, like 24"?). I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a Super Dollfie. Are there knockoffs? The dolls I've researched are all around the same price as the large Volks dolls.

mikcy
01-19-2005, 05:17 PM
They're not all called Super Dollfies. I didn't see one Super Dollfie.

Was Minako's Dai not a SD? Well, FCS one. XD

I've been coveting the Super Dollfies or similar dolls...what is the least expensive doll in that size (what is it, like 24"?). I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford a Super Dollfie. Are there knockoffs? The dolls I've researched are all around the same price as the large Volks dolls.

Actually, it can range from 35 dollars to almost 2000-3000. 35 dollars are known as "dollfie plus" and they're nothing compared to the bigger dolls. They have the same idea, but it's still not the same thing. The 43cm dolls can be between $200US and up. While they're not as big as the 60cm dolls, they're still worth it and cost less. I currently own two 43cm dolls, but now I'm saving up for a 60cm doll.

YokanShinya
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh Jeezus, I didn't even think of Dai as a SD. >.< Slap me when you see fit XD

Robo Jing
01-19-2005, 07:13 PM
I really want a dolphie doll @.@ sooo pretty

Bobbi
01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I'd like one... but they're so snucking expensive! x_x So therefore I'm never getting one. =P

Robo Jing
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
i still want one! T.T *pokes bobbi*

KnuxieChan
01-19-2005, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on them. I was never big on dolls anyway.

Miyabi-
01-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I wasn't either Shippo but I love how these look. You can make them look like almost anything and can customize things like their eye color and you can buy differant wigs for them and pretty costumes and....*squeal* I WANT ONE!

I've been looking at them on e-bay and I see lots of the blank templates where you add the eyes, hair etc. yourself and I was wondering what's a good site for researching on how to go about customizing one? Is it easy to do yourself or best to order one to your specifications?
(I'd wanted to make one to look like my elven Dungeons and Dragons character and I'd be picky on representing her right. ^_^ *is such a dork*)

KnuxieChan
01-19-2005, 08:47 PM
They're too creepy to me. Too many horror movies for Shippo. XD I perfer plushies, you can cuddle with them!

Bahzi
01-19-2005, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on them. I was never big on dolls anyway.

My thoughts exactly...I didn't like to play with dolls as a kid, why would want one now?..and those things are just creepy...like Child's Play creepy. I'd have to put it in box at night or I wouldn't be able to sleep. XD The only doll I have is my Rainbow brite doll, and I thought she cost too much at $40. $2000 for a doll? I don't care if it does the macarena..that's insane!

lemoned
01-19-2005, 09:41 PM
WOW.

How rude can you guys get? While I wasn't at the con, I do own a BJD and have several friends who own one or more.

If it isn't your cup of tea, FINE. You don't have to make us feel like we WASTED OUR MONEY on them. I've never liked dolls either (and actually, I'm scared shitless of mannequins) but I fell in love with these little guys and I believe that they're worth every penny.

And as for calling them 'freaky,' just look at yourselves. o_o; We all dress up as people that we're not. That's not 'freaky'? How do you guys like it when someone comes up to you and tells you that you waste your hard earned cash and time on cosplaying? Something that you put your heart and soul into?

So, please stop putting the dolls (and consequently the owners) down.

Isis Ishtar
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
I wasn't too into BJDs at first either (I still don't have one and probably won't for a while because of the price), but they've really grown on me, and I respect them now. I totally agree with what lemoned posted. Some of those posts were just a bit rude.

Miyabi-
01-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Woah..chill everyone. Everyone's just expressing their opinion and I don't think anyone's trying to make anyone feel bad.
I think a few years ago I'd have been scared of BJD's (I was scared of all dolls when I was a kid. and like lemoned I find mannequins scary too! ) but my tastes have changed and now I'm bugging people for one. ^_^
I love the customization possibilities of BJD's. Where has everyone gotten theirs?

Killmesarah
01-19-2005, 09:57 PM
WOW.

How rude can you guys get?

No one said anything bad about the owners. Yes it's a lot of loot to blow on a doll, some of us would buy one, some wouldn't.
My main reason not to is
1. Creepy (Childs PLay/Dolls)
2. Too expensive

Besides that, my husband would NEVER let me spend that an a toy, after we just bought a house.
Those are my reasons. Simply viewing them at cons is enough for me.
:::shrugs:::
I don't see what the big deal is, either way
-Sarah

tasu
01-19-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree completely with lemoned. :x Though nothing anyone says will make me regret spending money on a MSD. While I am still scared of most dolls I really do like BJDs. Bratz dolls are so much scarier anyways. Just go wander around your local toy store if you want to see some real scary dolls. :x

When it comes to the price. Well...it was expensive and the money just didn't appear over night. @_@ I saved up for a long time. Anyone can get a Super Dollfie just save up and go buy one. Well there may be some web surfing involved but nothing too complicated. I don't think it's all hard as some people make it out to be. XD;; Well unless you are crazy and want a limited...*coughs*

Bahzi
01-19-2005, 10:03 PM
If someone can say "OMG so cute I want one" I can say "I don't, it creeps me out and would make me bankrupt". Yes, cosplay is freaky, and yes, I probably am wasting my money on it, I hear that everyday, and it doesn't bother me, I just smile and nod, they're probably right. And Shippo didn't say it would be wasting money for anyone else, just her, and it would be wasting money if you weren't really interested and just let it sit in a box and didn't have the time/dedication to make cute outfits/wigs for it, like most of us would. I think they're cute, but something with eyes 3 times too big for it's head is bound to look creepy, in fact, even a lot of people who like them think they look creepy.

tasu
01-19-2005, 10:35 PM
If someone can say "OMG so cute I want one" I can say "I don't, it creeps me out and would make me bankrupt". Yes, cosplay is freaky, and yes, I probably am wasting my money on it, I hear that everyday, and it doesn't bother me, I just smile and nod, they're probably right. And Shippo didn't say it would be wasting money for anyone else, just her, and it would be wasting money if you weren't really interested and just let it sit in a box and didn't have the time/dedication to make cute outfits/wigs for it, like most of us would. I think they're cute, but something with eyes 3 times too big for it's head is bound to look creepy, in fact, even a lot of people who like them think they look creepy.

You would really walk up to someone out of the blue and insult the doll that they put their hard earned cash and lots of effort into? Now that is extremely rude. @_@ Just because another person likes dollfies doesn't mean you have to. It's their opinion to like them and to be repectful of another person's interests wouldn't be too much to ask for. >_> Calling someone's doll creepy isn't exactly the nicest way to say that you don't like dollfies.

And in regards to you calling something with eyes three times the size of it's head creepy. Um...hello...anime has that too. And a lot of Super Dollfies and like dolls don't have crazy huge eyes. XD;;

Eurobeat King
01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
I hate to do this, but I'm going to close this thread since it's getting out of hand. I have nothing against Dollfies, even though sometimes they DO freak me out with their eyes, but I don't mind taking pictures of cosplayers who carry them around at cons. Everyone is entitled to bring their own type of anime/j-rock/video-game mascot be it in the form of plushie, prop, dollfie, or car for fun. Still, the debate here has gotten ugly and it has to stop..

If the other mods wish to re-open this thread, I'll let them do that..