PDA

View Full Version : Anime Expo Memories

Adella
07-08-2002, 01:11 AM
What was your favorite memory about Anime Expo?

for me it had to be cosplaying my Aeris' Don Corneo Dress and getting interviewed on Tech TV. I'm going to beo n TV you guys! wee! I also got to hang out for al ittle bit with my ex boyfriends ex girlfriend/ex best friend who is now my good friend. Yeah yeah long story.. anyway she saw me being interviewed on TV and was like "wait. I know you!!" it was so fun!!!

Aeris

LiL QoH
07-08-2002, 02:11 AM
I was happy to meet a lot of new people this year! And I had so much fun cosplaying even tho my costume wasnt finished...people still recognized me ^_^_^_^!

Yggdrasil Pie
07-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Wai....funnest memory...? I got glomped in my Aeris costume when walking up the stairs near the Hyatt... ^^;;;;;
It was fun, I should of glomped back, lol... And Umi running around with Kiki and Kaoru was such a weird group. It seems like I atracted alot of weirdos!

Aeris!!! Now I know I saw you!!!!! You looked so pretty! ^_^

peacecraft
07-08-2002, 01:00 PM
For me it was just all the people I met. Also, it was my first time going to a con with multiple costumes and it was nice when people appreciated them. Made me feel like I hadn't wasted my time going to all the effort.

engrish
07-08-2002, 01:07 PM
Tech TV? Is that a US station? I passed up on Expo cause I needed to start saving money. Lets not forget that Cloud also got "dressed up" to go see Don Corneo! I wonder if anyone did that cosplay.....I have yet to see one. I saw the Fansview pics and WOW some of those exhibit booths was nothing like what I've seen before.

Tenshi
07-08-2002, 01:30 PM
The best thing at AX was definately the opening of the Masquerade by the Delano HS percussion ensemble. I'm such a band nerd (esp. when it comes to percussion) ^^;;. I walked into the theatre and freaked out when I saw all that stuff on the stage. I wish I could talk my band into doing something that cool ^_^. The string duo was also very cool -- I got all sniffly when they started playing Terra's Theme ;_;. Oh! And having my picture taken for a cosplay book. That was very very flattering #^_^#.

MyuMyu
07-08-2002, 03:02 PM
My friends and i doing a skit for the JRock masq......okay, it was actually 2 minutes of us skipping around on stage and doing fanservice 9_9 but apparently a few people LIKED it o_o that was fun.

We made complete fools of ourselves - and gackt was in the audience (dont worry we glomped him ;-) )<3<3

Third-child
07-08-2002, 04:51 PM
My fave thing.. being able to hang with a bunch of great friends and having a blast doing it!

Yuna
07-08-2002, 06:02 PM
OMG... for the first time I was glomped... and I was wearing my Kyo. Odd... what was odder was having Lisa glomp me going, "It's KYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOO! OMG... it's Nessa!!" Intersting...

Iori E
07-08-2002, 06:50 PM
Nessa was Kyo from KOF. I still say she was being Cosplayer Kyoko! I mean, they do dress exactly the same... :P

Probably my most vivid memory (although far from being my favorite) during AX 2002 was Friday night, when I was vomited on. Ewww. Stuff like that makes me question why alcohol is being served at the AX dance...
Oh yeah, and I survived ghetto Long Beach. That was cool.

Kuja
07-08-2002, 07:17 PM
I have to say my Helena costume getting major compliments from the 2 Japanese cosplayers dressed up as Mai.

tsukinohime
07-08-2002, 09:00 PM
That's a tough question . . . I guess my favorite was the kids' response to my costumes. They were sooooo cute! One girl wanted me to sign her cast 'cause "Sailor Moon is my hero!" I love it when my costumes make other people happy!!

Edit: I almost forgot -- those tech channel or whatever it was were going to interview me too, but them they were like "it's going to be a while, we won't waste your time" They said that they'd send me a copy of the ep instead though

Yuna
07-09-2002, 01:34 AM
ack! NO NO NO! I accually wore 2 Kyo's at AX now that I come ot think about it ^^()

http://www.afansview.com/2002/animeexpo/img1453.jpg
<-- this was the Kyo I was glomped in

The other Kyo was for fun.. I didn't really care what was going on in that XD

Adella
07-09-2002, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by WaterEmperess

Aeris!!! Now I know I saw you!!!!! You looked so pretty! ^_^

Thank you so much!!! Every Aeris I saw was pretty so I'm sure you were! :D :D :D

Tech TV? Is that a US station?

Yes it's on digital cable. I'll be on friday at 9PM eastern time during extended play

Cloud also got "dressed up" to go see Don Corneo! I wonder if anyone did that cosplay.....

I was going to tote my friend Brian along as Cloud in his dress byt Brian couldn't make it. I was also going to have Kitty in her Tifa dress but we ran out of time.

The best thing at AX was definately the opening of the Masquerade by the Delano HS percussion ensemble. I'm such a band nerd (esp. when it comes to percussion) ^^;;

Heck yes! I loved that too! They started playing Aeris' song and i stood up and screamed really loud. lol!!!

liked being SAitou...and I liked being in the masquerade...also....WAtsuki owns our radish now...

I was gonna cosplay as Saitou too. lol!!! in Al's Saitou costume and adorn cleavage doing it. It woulda been funny

OMG... for the first time I was glomped... and I was wearing my Kyo. Odd
I remember being glomped upon Arriving at Anime Expo by a rather good looking Kyo.. oh ! THAT WAS YOU!! ~_^

I almost forgot -- those tech channel or whatever it was were going to interview me too

OOOOH YOU SHOULDA DONE IT!!!!

I have to say my Helena costume getting major compliments from the 2 Japanese cosplayers dressed up as Mai.

it was fun getting you into that Mai costume too.

(inside joke: YOU AR ETHE REAL HELENA!! OH MY GOD! ::stare::)

tsukinohime
07-09-2002, 08:22 PM
I wanted to do it . . . But they said that "We won't waste your time" like "nevermind" so I thought that even if I did say "I'll wait all day!" like I wanted to it wouldn't have helped much. Ah, well, another time.

smileymonstah
07-10-2002, 12:29 AM
UMmm who sings that song that won for the best anime music video...it was announced at night during the maquerade and i really liked it "killing always comes between us" or something..email me por favor...

jen_kat
07-10-2002, 12:49 AM
The name of the song for the winning action MV was called "Chemicals Between Us" by Bush. It's from their album "The Science of Things", I think. The guy who made that MV was Daniel Araujo.

I really liked that MV. I wanna see it again.

Does anyone remember the song of the Drama MV of CCS?

jen_kat
07-10-2002, 01:20 AM
Memories

Fave: the Angel Sanctuary group. I was completely in bliss when I went to take their picture. Plus I had wanted to take a picture with Setsuna, only thing was that I forgot...so I asked him on Sun but he was wearing his dark Vash costume. Still got the pic tho.
Um....... would anyone happen to know who he is?? :love: :angel2:

Scariest: The freakin' possessed Hyatt ELEVATOR!! My friend and I got on it from the 7th floor, hoping to get down to the Lobby, and the arrow even said "DOWN"... but no, it went straight up to the top floor without stopping and a split second later, it dropped all the way to the ground floor. The moment I realized the "thing" was evil, I dropped to the floor in a crouch with my arms over my head.

Worst: Some guy was weirding me out at the dances, almost stalking but not quite...:mad:

Funnest: I learned how to do some basic glowstick things at the dance.

Most tiring: Going back to my friend's to crash at 1:30 am then having to wake up supposedly at 3 to get to LB at 4:30, but oversleeping 1 hour, rushing and waiting in line for Masquarade tickets.

Best: Taking PICTURES. I can't wait to get my film developed. I love taking pictures.

Ones that kept running through my mind: gotta cosplay next year at AX2003 in Anaheim and gotta try and get a booth at the artist alley for doing a "Free Jam". There was this one booth that belonged to a Antony, who just let anyone draw at that table if they wanted to cuz he wasn't there. That was fun. Me and my friends used it a few times.:rockon:

khamryn
07-10-2002, 01:49 AM
Jen-cat- Um....... would anyone happen to know who he is??

::Waves hand, coughs.:: I do.. my friend Kimiko hung out with him. ^_^

Kimiko
07-10-2002, 01:56 AM
Hung out with him>?? Kham... you know I hung *Allllll* Over him!!!! ::laughs:: Yeah, I know him. ::grins:: wasn't he a hottie? ^.^;
and it sucked when I had to be in the friggin Masq meeting instead of in the AS group with him as my Setsuna.... grrr on the masq. Never.. ever again... never!!!!

Kimiko

Nadeshiko
07-10-2002, 02:41 AM
..The Good
Meeting new people
Being very genki and hyper!
Layne is forever my bodygaurd. *^^*
Getting to meet Maria Kawamura
Being offered tickets to the guest of honor reception on Friday
Using the most rolls I've ever used in one week! (7)
The masquerade was very nice this year.
My 18th birthday celebration. *^^*
Cosplaying to my namesake
Growing closer to many of my friends

..The Bad
A certain person's comments and actions towards a friend
On the 4th of July fireworks, a black lady not from the con called me a "smartass" just because I wore an 18th century costume during the celebration
Certain miscommunication and misinterpretation

..The Interesting
At Meet the Guests, Maria asked me who I was cosplaying as...
Me: Kyoko from Rival Schools
Maria: Oh, Evangelion?!
Me: No, it's a video game. ^^;;
Maria: I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I'm sorry!
Me: It's okay...*pats Maria on the back*

Ohmi
07-10-2002, 05:37 AM
First of all,

Wahoo! It was great having Adella as a new member of our Zelda group! Many thanks Adella! :)

2= relaxing 5 days off of work ^^
3= getting to see many people I haven't been able to see/be around for a long time
4= all the amazing cosplayers! go go go!
5= the first real use of my new digital camera ^o^;
6= sleep

^o^

Yuna
07-10-2002, 06:05 AM
YEAH! She was such a pretty Malon *o*

RealizeDOP
07-10-2002, 08:37 AM
*.* Wai!!!! My best memories.....Being AT AX for the first time O.O Thanks to everybody that was so nice -.-* It made my experience great even though i was only their for two days!!!! *.* Also.....I've never been at a con where their was sooooo many good looking people walking around *.* BOY was I happy! : )

Kenshin Ken
07-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Memories......

The good----
1) Finally being in my own room....for 10 minutes.
2) getting off the Greyhound ^^;;
3) meetin up with some familiar faces and new ones.
4) Dealer's room yay!
5) meting up with kitty once more ^^.
6) for the first time ever in my con history... I've actually atteded a room party! ^^;;

the bad====
1) roommies brought people in withou t permission.
2) costume troubles..many many costume troubles.
3) TMD ^^;;
4) Hotel food...exxpppeeennssiiivveee.
5) feeling much dumber after finding out there were stores OUTSIDE the convention center..
6) going on a mad rampage at night, flattening one knuckle and scared a load of people with aroar at about 3 am on the 4th of july.
7) TMD ^^;;
8) "friends" ditched me at the masqurade towards the end.....
9) Can't find friends for the life of me.... ( they don't got any cell phones ^^;; )

Oddest----
1) getting "asked" to be glomped while in my Ranma costume.
2) on the morning before the con started.. I was wearing my ranma costume throught my trip to the greyhound.
3) exhurting so much energy into running.. I was surprised I didn't pass out.
4) mysterious roommate #?.....

I never got to meet everyone I wanted to for very long.. or at all.. ;-;....... but.. I did at least get to do something at the con....

LiL QoH
07-10-2002, 03:49 PM
Im Soooooo taping that techtv shiooot! YES! wuahahhaa XD So I can say this is Sarah! I know her! wuahaha j/k but Im still taping it :B

Daitenshi
07-10-2002, 04:33 PM
I had such a wonderful time at AX! I have so many great memories:
-meeting a ton of new people
-winning honorable mention group costruction at the masquerade *_*
-talking with the director of Noir at the meet the guests reception... then taking a few silly pictures later in the hallway
-seeing Nobuhiro Watsuki!
-etc etc etc =D

Best Wishes,
Jenny
~Kenshin no Miko~
~Daitenshi~
http://www.daitenshi.com/

Adella
07-10-2002, 06:24 PM
I never got to see him.. it sucked! :(

Jinx
07-11-2002, 05:54 AM
TENSHI! Ack! I'm a band nerd toooo!! BUt I'm on guard.. my bf is a HUGE drumnut. He was sectionleader. =B It was such a shock to see them perform. When they brought out those suspended drums I thought it was going to be some silly prop and they they busted out with the snares and chimes and all. o.o My bf almost missed it!

I brought up the idea of a marching FF show to my bf beginning our senior year, and then he brought it up to his drum instructor a few weeks ago. They're really picking it up, but it seems I don't get to help any. I just get credit for the idea. I'm just a flaggie. >_<

Anyway, that was so offtopic, sorry.. o.o

My fave memory was just simply the attention and the pictures. I love having my pic taken.. I guess that sounds a little narcissistic. ^-^;; But it was also great seeing my first-time cosplay friends having a lot of fun too.

--Jinx

Rosiel
07-11-2002, 09:24 AM
I think my favorite AX memory was being dared to climb a tree in the park behind the Hyatt while wearing my Ramirez costume... and actually doing it. ^___^

(Note: to anyone who has not seen Ramirez from Skies of Arcadia, we're talking metal-plated shoes and thigh-high boots.)

My friend took pics of myself cracking up in the tree and waving my sword around. It was hilarious. Coming down was even harder than going up though.

(I also had to sneak through a chain link fence in that costume. O_O And the awkwardness has been documented on film. LOL)

Kimiko
07-11-2002, 02:51 PM
The Good:
Meeting Rosiel
Being in the Angel Sanctuary group.. being in the masq (even though it wasn't all that fun.)
Seeing Layne again.
Cosplaying
Getting pictures taken
Meeting a Vash that "rocks my world" ^.^;;
Actually going to AX

The Bad:
being in the masq.. that damn meeting
having to leave AX

I think that's it. ^.^

Ax report is up... Pics comming soon! ^.^

AngelJibrille
07-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Could you tell us why you hated the Masquerade so much? We tried really hard this year to help the cosplayers as much as possible. The rehearsal didn't really go off due to VTech issues (they wanted to spend too much time with each group and did not realize that people needed to go change).

If you could send us some suggestions, we would really appreciate it. We can't fix it unless we know what is broken.

Thanks!
Marisa
AX Masquerade Coordinator
costume@anime-expo.org

Rosiel
07-11-2002, 04:49 PM
> If you could send us some suggestions, we would really appreciate it.

From the POV of someone who was asked to register by masq staff but ended up giving the form back to the people at the desk without filling it in...

Asking for contestants to come at 2pm and stay until the masq then joking "well you can go out for bathroom breaks" is the not way to get contestants in and make people happy. Saturday is the best day of the con, can't people come in 1 or 2 hours before the masq like at other cons? Run-throughs could be done on Friday which is a lot quieter, instead of using up the whole of the best day of the con.

Maybe then there will be happier contestants.
And maybe then people like me would register. ^___^

AngelJibrille
07-11-2002, 06:02 PM
@_@

Who said the comment about bathroom breaks? I can't imagine one of my staffers would have said that. Perhaps a security, volunteer, or VTech staffer was confused and gave you the wrong information. If you can remember the name/description of that person I can take care of it offline.

Aside from that, at this point I'm really confused too...

We had a mandatory meeting at 2:00 pm, that lasted about a half an hour (it started late due to the event booked ahead of us running overtime due to the AMV awards deal -_-# ). We then asked that at least one person from each group stay to be shown how to get around backstage. After said person and/or group was shown around you were welcome to leave and not come back until 6:30 pm.

The only people that were asked to stay from 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm were those who wanted a rehearsal. The rehearsal was not mandatory.

So, I guess I'm really confused. We were basically asking for about a 30 minute meeting, and then for you to be there for an hour and a half prior to the Masquerade itself. No one expected you to stay there from 2:00 pm - end of Masquerade. That was all listed on the Masquerade Timeline that we gave out to everyone who registered. In fact I did it that way specifically so that people had plenty of time to get ready.

I also announced that everyone was free to go until 6:30 pm at the 2:00pm mandatory meeting itself.

If you would like to review the timeline that we passed out, it's still available on the AX site:
http://www.anime-expo.org/masq_timeline.html

I apologize if someone verbally told you incorrect information. In the future please be sure to read our timeline as that has the exact information as given by me. Also, if you are worried/concerned/confused or upset, please come up and let me know. I can't solve an issue if I am not aware of it.

Please don't assume that we are out to get you ^_^; We really did our best to try to accomodate everyone this year, and we really want feedback --- even during the event itself. If I hadn't happened upon this thread I might never have known that you had encountered this problem and I wouldn't be able to address it in the future.

You can always contact me at costume@anime-expo.org

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience and we will do our best to make sure that everyone is clear of the expectations in the future.

Marisa Price
AX Masquerade Coordinator

Rosiel
07-11-2002, 06:31 PM
> I apologize if someone verbally told you incorrect information.

Oh, don't worry, it's not a big deal, I wasn't planning on being in the Masq, it's just a staffer who talked me into it. ^___^ The only reason I was going to enter was to see the Masq, since I had to commute in and my costume made it impossible for me to wait in line outside for tickets. So no harm done.

As for who told me I don't remember. >__< I was jetlagged and going on very little sleep. It was someone at the table though.

> Please don't assume that we are out to get you ^_^;

I don't. ^__^ I just thought that this setup was very discouraging for more 'casual' cosplayers like me who like to make extravagant costumes but do not enjoy competition & performance. I guess I lack dedication, but the thought of waiting so long in a room starving just killed my enthusiasm. =)

AngelJibrille
07-11-2002, 06:45 PM

Next year I am going to try to have a dedicated cosplay room (where everyone can meet) near the lobby (I'm trying on this one... watch me beg the people setting up rooms ^_^;;; ). This room will have a stage a la the Fashion Show room again (though that room was in the middle of BFE, I hope to get it closer to the hotel lobby). My dream is to have a place for cosplayers to meet, and it will be Fashion Show all day long because people can get on the stage and pose, no stress, no hassle. We will try to have one competitive event (the Mini-Masquerade) with prizes and mini-trophies, and the JRock event (though we may need to move that to a bigger venue this year). Some of the participation prizes for the Mini-Masquerade and the JRock events could possibly be Masquerade tickets :D So maybe that would be a better venue for you (no waiting ^_^) and you can still win nifty stuff.

My husband (I think he was the one that tried to draft you into coming) really liked your costumes and raved about you all. As you can see from my nick, I love Angel Sanctuary ^_^. We were really sorry to see you not participate :( (I'd seen you in the lobby and I was impressed too). Hopefully next year we can work it out so that you and your group will attend if not the big Masq, at least the mini-Masq.

Take care and good luck with your cosplay efforts ^_^

~marisa~

MugenH
07-11-2002, 07:19 PM
There were too many good things. I feel like this is the first year that I've really appriciated the AX *community*; there are so many incredible cosplayers at the con, and they're all very friendly with one another. I've heard rumors of bickering and sniping and such, and as a result have kept far away from the cosplay world (outside of making my own costume) ~ but this year's experience convinced me that I want to meet all of you! Everything was so postive.

<glow!>

While I'm at it, Rosiel, your costumes were all amazing! Next time, I'd love to see that Dragonslayer you mentioned. ^_-

The Bad:
Hmm. The line for the Dealer Room is an impossiblity when you're wearing head to toe PVC. I wish there had been an alternate line going through the building, or a ticket system: "You can enter the Dealer room from 2 - 2:15 today" like a theme park.

Or a special pass for cosplayers! Hey! We're what makes the con cool! ^_-

Toodle-pip
MugenH.

UrashimaKei
07-11-2002, 11:56 PM
hello i'm the newbe here... Well my favorite memory was being in Tech TV I was at the Tokyopop booth outside the convention ^_^

Kimiko
07-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Marisa,

Wow.. I didn't mean for my lil' posting thing to sound so bad... I'm not used to big masq stuffs... ^.^;; So it took me by surprise and I didn't get to meet up with a few people the time I should have been there. I know now.. and it was a good experience in all...
Sorry that post before sounded all mean... >.<;;

Kimiko

Rosiel
07-13-2002, 09:19 AM
Marisa:

> Some of the participation prizes for the Mini-Masquerade and the JRock events could possibly be Masquerade tickets

That is a GREAT idea. I'd definitely enter then. =)
Anything for a chance to see the Masq without waiting in line!

> We were really sorry to see you not participate (I'd seen you in the lobby and I was impressed too).

Thank you for the compliment. *_____* Especially since I didn't think that costume was complex enough to have Masq potencial anyway.

> Hopefully next year we can work it out so that you and your group will attend if not the big Masq, at least the mini-Masq.

That would be fun! We're already thinking of resurrecting our big AS group next year, so I'll make sure at least some of us show up. I already have a new Rosiel costume planned. =)

------------
MugenH:

> Next time, I'd love to see that Dragonslayer you mentioned. ^_-

Are you the Dilandau? I hate wearing Miguel but I would definitely repair/finish him and wear him to AX if you're bringing yours again!

My Miguel (baaaad Fansview picture alert) http://www.cosplay.com/mod.php?set_albumName=album21&id=aab&mod=gallery&include=view_photo.php

MugenH
07-13-2002, 03:47 PM
>Are you the Dilandau? I hate wearing Miguel but I would definitely repair/finish him and wear him to AX if you're bringing yours again!

>My Miguel (baaaad Fansview picture alert) http://www.cosplay.com/mod.php?set_...=view_photo.php

Wow! Very very nice! I don't know what Con I'm going to next, but Dilly will definitely be in the suitcase. So finish that costume!

Err ... not that I know what needs to be finished ...

Toodle-pip
MugenH.

Ayaka
07-14-2002, 12:51 AM
Ah . . . lol I'm gonna look weird four pages in posting entirely on topic.

Favorite stuff - being at AX for the first time!
Picture with Nobuhiro Watsuki! XD
Otaku Generation's strip routine at the karaoke contest, lmao
doing karaoke at 5 AM in the masq tix line
talking with all kinds of people!

Not favorite stuff - my signed poster being stolen . . . T-T
Had too many costumes and no one to help me with changing (MANY pin injuries), too much franticness and not enough enjoyment
Being cold (that one threw me)

Rosiel
07-14-2002, 10:21 AM
> Err ... not that I know what needs to be finished ...

The shoes! My shoes are not blue! And the blue on the fingers...
I'm just not very inspired by working with that awful blue vinyl again. >__<

Sadly Miguel is rather shoddily done, because I sewed him all by hand a year ago. >__< But I'll repair him as well as I can.

Celine
07-15-2002, 01:27 PM
I thought AX was great~! I saw tons of people I knew (though, never for long enough!!) and met lots of new faces! Yay! I managed to find all my groups for our designated photo shoots. Everything went well.

But definitely the highlight was the masquerade for me! Despite the fact that I ended up in the theatre almost all day, I got to hang out with so many super talented people who were all awesome! I was afraid they might be snobby or something, but they weren't at all. Yay for cosplayers being a good group. I'd never been in anything like the AX masquerade and it was a great experience. It was SO exciting!! I got to go on stage!!! XD

AngelJibrille
07-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Kimiko---

Whew. Okay, I was just really worried ^_^ ! I'm glad you had fun.

Marisa :)