PDA

View Full Version : EGL / Japanese fashion?

Himemiya
12-31-2002, 01:06 AM
I guess this goes here, since it really isn't Jpop... ^_^;
When making/ putting together an EGL costume, do you think accesories (dolls, headpieces, lacy socks) can make the outfit, or the outfit is the star? ^.~

Chosuke
12-31-2002, 01:09 AM
I think that acessories help bring out the spirit of the outfit.
Sort of like drawing a spring field.. then adding a few flowers to give it that extra oomf.

Do I even make sense anymore?

Mink
12-31-2002, 01:29 AM
I dont know what that is...can someone explain?

Umi
12-31-2002, 01:54 AM
EGL is elegant gothic lolita (well at least if they're talking about what I think they're talking about) =D

Himemiya
12-31-2002, 02:03 AM
Yes! Elegant Gothic Lolita ^_^; Its a style... floofyness and curls and whee!

camuimana
12-31-2002, 07:46 PM
I think if a dress doesn't have the extra ribbons, bows, fluff, etc then it isn't EGL. It's just a normal pretty dress. *shrug* Just my opinion though ^^;

katrinastrife
12-31-2002, 08:38 PM
hmm... yes, the whole look is based around the lacey frillyness. And don't forget the petticoat! My EGL outfit looks silly if I don't wear the petticoat! ^_^;; It's itchy, tho...

Love Meeko
01-01-2003, 03:22 AM
If the style of the outfit is victorian, and is either a bit Loli-ish ((dollie/little girl)), or Gothic-ish... Then it's EGL. You don't really need the frills to make it a true EGL. There are infinite styles of EGL, as long as you use the cuts and fashions that were popular during the victorian age.

If you want a more modern EGL, use brighter colors ((which were not common during the early 1900's due to the lack of colors in dyes)).

Radical Urd
01-04-2003, 11:57 PM
No no you are mistaken, victorian style is EGA elegant goth aristocrat... it goes into another catagory really ^_^;;;;;;;; sorry to be so technical, but in Japan is really is its own style and another catagory...
god i'm a geek for knowing that...
But Lolita fashion is basically the style of Mana of the band MALICE MIZER, if you look in his earlier style...lately he has been wearing more of EGA... But anywho it consist of babydoll shirts, aprons, round poofy skirts and bonnets. Basically making baby clothes for big girls.
http://www.babyssb.co.jp/ This is Baby the Stars Shine Bright. one is the leading lolita stores in Japan.
*Breathes* Now, EGA Elegant Goth Aristocrat, is long skirts, victorian shirts and collars, Ruffles, and anything basically inspired by 1800's funeral garb, I don't know much of this because i think its ugly. ^_^

diqitaldreams
01-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I love the Gothic Lolita style...I've always wanted to cosplay as Mana...but I don't know... @_@ I can't see myself in a frilly dress...although!!! I don't mind wearing it! Anyone wanna use me a model?! XD

Daitenshi
01-07-2003, 05:34 PM
I _LOVE_ Baby the Stars shine Bright!!!
On the 2nd of this month I managed to find a really gorgeous blouse in their store in the Shinjuku 010NE building *_*

http://www.babyssb.co.jp/order/bl/126419.html
(it's the black version)
Now I need to make a skirt to go with it @_@

They're a wonderful esource, but go ahead and type "gothic lolita shops" or something like that into google or yahoo. You'll come up with tons of results ^_^

Himemiya
01-07-2003, 05:51 PM
I'm very jealous of the girl who can order from the japanese sites! ^.^; But i might start making my own versions of egl skirts from these sites soon...

bANgZ
01-15-2003, 03:16 AM
interesting interesting! i have a lot of magazines with very crazy japanese fashion
cool!! a mirielle cosplay i love noir

Merle-kun
01-16-2003, 12:40 PM
I was lucky enough to have a friend who made me a Gothic Lolita outfit! ^-^ I wore it at AKon last year, I'm not sure where else to wear it.. I always have too many costumes.. ^^;;

Here are some pics!
http://merlekun.kumagoro.net/Orig-GLRed.php

rheanna
01-20-2003, 02:45 AM
yay for EGL!! ::grin::

I think the outfit is the main part of what you're wearing, but having headpieces or nice tights can really add to it! For headpieces, it depends on what you're wearing and how your hair is done... If you do something with your hair (put it in ringlets, frizz it, ect) then you might not need a headpiece. I think if you're doing a classic lolita look that accessories (especially lacey socks!! ::giggle::) really go well with it. I'd say you don't need a doll, but that's a bit of a biased opinion since I'm just generally not fond of the look! ^^;;

HuongStar
01-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, I think with enough accessories and proper existing garments, you can put together an outfit with EGL flair. ^_^

Petticoats, ringlet curls, headpieces, Mary Janes, and decorated hosiery of some sort can give you the look.

lupineloli
02-03-2003, 02:35 AM
Mana did not invent the "egl" - he just made it popular (a good friend of his named Yukari (something) designed many of his clothes and a lot were EGL)
EGA is the Edwardian and Victorian/Gothic era of clothing but for men. It never consists of skirt - an artistocrat is a man of the upper class. It is also not "funeral garb" just because it does not require the frills of egl. You have to realize that fashion was quite restricted back in the 1800's and early 1900's and that code was severely enforced. Men and women both were expected to wear certain apparel at certain times of the day.

Sciguy
02-08-2003, 08:34 PM
have any of you seen Lillyxandra's gallery on Cosplay.com? check out http://images.cosplay.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=96&thumb=1 to see 7 good examples of EGL modeled by the lovely Haruka. Also, Mara's cosplay website has a good rendition of Mana (Gardenia) http://www.inthestarlight.com/mana.html

Ina
02-08-2003, 09:23 PM
yeah i did ^_^ those are really good examples (hehe, i got her skirt, bought it at the same place ^^;;;)

Tamoko
02-09-2003, 05:35 AM
one word. FRUITS.

go to www.borders.com

type in FRUITS

its a book on Neo-Japan filled with like.. over 200 pages of COLOR japanese fashion. its really cool. it may take a while to find but its there. you have to order it though. i have it and its wonderful for ideads..

Ina
02-09-2003, 10:31 AM
borders has FRUiTS?!?!?! omg, i was looking everywhere for it @_@

DancingVampire
02-09-2003, 11:56 AM
points at the skirt I bought that skirt to ^_^ 50% off though I snagged it off the sales rack

Tamoko
02-09-2003, 01:36 PM
yeah they do! You have to pr-order it. its 30/39 dolla. there will be a new book soon.. :D :D

And in this book theres alot of scok ideas, skirts, shirts, acceories.. hairstlyes, makeup.. ect ect. (just listing) ~_~;

rheanna
02-09-2003, 04:07 PM
If you have a Japanese bookstore nearby, you can also buyFruits magazine (you can also get subscriptions from the Fruits homepage (http://www.fruits-mg.com/index.html) if you decide you like it!) Personally, I like the big books better though since sometimes fhasions aren't as great in an entire volume (I have a few magazines... some are super good, and some are blah... unfortunately, you can't flip through them at the bookstore I get them from, so you have no idea if you're getting a good one of a bad one till you buy it -_-;;)

Ina
02-09-2003, 04:08 PM
yeah, the reason why i wanna buy that FRUiTS book is to get some good ideas and stuff ^^ and yay! new book! styles in japan changes so quickly @_@

>points at the skirt I bought that skirt to ^_^ 50% off though I snagged it off the sales rack

muwhahaha, got mine for 70% off >D

Sailor Naboo
02-23-2003, 03:12 AM
A good place to find EGL stuff is searching the square dance stuff on eBay. A search that really works is:

Square Dress Danc*
Square Skirt Danc*

That way you get dancing and dance. The necklines are wrong on most of the dresses, but once in a while you find a jem.

sakura yuna
02-24-2003, 10:42 PM
I love EGL/Gothic Lolita stuff...it's soooo purdy....I especially like tops with bell sleeves and ruffle skirts...and those head band thingies are to die for!!! wow...I just love the fashion!!!!

Kirschwasser
03-15-2003, 11:38 AM
I love the Elegant Gothic Lolita style. I'm thinking of whether or not to wear a EGL style outfit at Anime Expo.
Do any of you know of Yuki Kaori's God Child? Would Merryweather's dresses be considered EGL? I would love to make one of her outfits for myself. ^_^

Grom_Hellscream
03-15-2003, 12:55 PM
Time is a factor though to you have to look at how long it will take to finish...

Materal cost and what it will look with...

Garuda_Aiacos
03-16-2003, 08:27 AM
I think I did EGA or EGL before for my Prom; it was my Black Gown (with the petticoat/can-can), Blond Curly Wig and Headdress. Hahahahaa, everyone was shock with my look that day but unfortunately, they said I'm Goldilock. :rolleyes: Really want to do another EGA or EGL dress some day. ;)

Hmm, just asking for everyone's opinion; do you think a Plus Size person is better off doing EGA or EG or EL? Knee Long dress or long ones? Curls or straign hair? Black/Blue & White or Pastel Colors? :p

I bought the Kera Magazine before and saw that is got some good ideas for EGL clothings too. Maybe someday I'll also get the Book (Gothic Lolita Bible?)

Kirschwasser
03-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Okay, I guess Merryweather's outfits (from God Child) would be considered EGL. They look just like the ones that are on Baby, The Stars Shine Bright or Metamorphose. *Merry laugh* I know which dress I'm going to base mine off of! (Whenever I have the time, that it).
Aaaaaah, The_Serifita, I love your avatar! The Two Towers! *Dances* (Yes, I'm a rabid LOTR fan. It's the best!) Those Eastling Soldiers (I think that's what they are called) are soooo cool. I want to cosplay as one of those guys. (I wish...making something like that would take $10000000.) :p

Garuda_Aiacos
03-17-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Kirschwasser
Aaaaaah, The_Serifita, I love your avatar! The Two Towers! *Dances* (Yes, I'm a rabid LOTR fan. It's the best!) Those Eastling Soldiers (I think that's what they are called) are soooo cool. I want to cosplay as one of those guys. (I wish...making something like that would take $10000000.) :p

Heheheheee, thanks! :p I couldn't resist it cause I fall in love with their Armor the first time I saw them onscreen last Dec 19th (TTT was officially released here on Dec 19th). :D But don't worry, it wouldn't cost that much; I predicted that I'll end up spending around USD100++++ if I make all the parts myself; paper marche, scrap leather & on luck, (which unfortunately, I can't even attempt to start thinking currently as I vowed to complete all my and my friends LOTR costumes first by Dec :( )

Kirschwasser
03-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Heh...when I first saw the soldier in T.T.T., I was like, "Woooooooow! That is so cool! I like those guys!" I even mentioned to my brother, "I want armour like that." He said he did too. Oh yeah, and I love the elven armour too.
*Fu fu* Wow, look at me, talking about T.T.T. and armour in a EGL thread. Way of subject, am I not? *Dances away*
*Ahem* Back to EGL...*sweatdrop* the dress I want to make looks like it's going to be pretty expensive. Especially with all the lace. Perhaps I won't have time to make it, considering I still have to buy materials for my Kirschwassser outfit. *Sob*

Garuda_Aiacos
03-19-2003, 12:11 AM
*Back to EGL discussions too* :D

For cheap laces, why not try to ask those Bridal Dress Shops whether they got extra/scrape Laces they're willing to sell to you cheaply instead of just throwing them away?

Look out too for sales at your local fabric stores; they could give the best bargain when you least expert it! ;)

Kirschwasser
03-19-2003, 10:39 AM
*Sob* But The_Serifita, I live in a small town where there is no such thing as a Bridal Dress Shop or a fabric store. *Darn smalltown!* The nearest fabric store (I think) would be 100 miles or more from where I live.
Yes, I live out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains, the population being only more than 20,000 people.
*Yes, Kirschwasser lives in a village* ;) :p

HuongStar
03-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Sailor Naboo
A good place to find EGL stuff is searching the square dance stuff on eBay. A search that really works is:

Square Dress Danc*
Square Skirt Danc*

That way you get dancing and dance. The necklines are wrong on most of the dresses, but once in a while you find a jem. *nods* That's right; many of those dresses require a few alterations that can be easily accomplished by any skill level. A new collar, extra lace, shorten the hem, add a different petticoat and voila! You've got a great lolita outfit that took minimal effort. Accesories like hosiery and headpieces can really change the whole look. :D

Kirschwasser
03-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Heh heh...heh. I didn't realize how HARD it is going to be trying to make a EGL dress. Looks like I won't have it for AX this year...maybe next year. *sweatdrop*

HuongStar
03-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah, there is quite a bit of pin-tucking, gathering, ruffling, et cetera involved.... O_o

Kirschwasser
03-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Yep, that's a bit too much for a beginner like me, but by next year, I'll know I'll get better. *innocently smiles*

Mako-san
04-06-2003, 10:44 AM
very cool info guys!!
I will be making my EGA and EGL outfits for AnimeBoston and Animazement 03!! I think this type of cosplaying is very cool cause the amout of creativity is endless!!
I guess for people who might need more info, ebay has tons of stuff, I just wish alot of the japanese site would include US interests, like make it available to us and international! I would go broke buying mad EGA/EGL stuff!!

I also agree, the main outfit is key but hay accessories always make it a 100% better!!! and its super fun!

Yumeko
04-06-2003, 12:28 PM
I might make some ready to wear EGL/ EGA accessories and maybe dresses since i still don't have a summer job yet, but it takes patiences.

lupineloli
04-15-2003, 01:48 AM
d00d - In Living Color rocks!

:contributes something on topic:

I don't have the skillz to do more than fancy alterations to my pre-existing clothes - but luckily, EGL/EGA is one of those genres of fashion where if you add lots of cute crap to it, it passes XD
(only if you do it well, yes, yes, my EGL Elitest)

Yumeko
04-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Well for the moment, I am only making like hair accessories and stuff like that. Dresses are custom order...I'll have the details on my personal webspace

ambitiousmiyavi
04-20-2003, 04:11 AM
If you guys dont have it, please get Gothic and Lolita bible. You can get some major ideas. I hear these things sell out all the time in japan, but most of the japanese book stores around my area have them. I bet you guys know whats inside, but just telling you that some places charge this book insanely. Unless you are buying it from the internet, you should not be paying more that $20-$25. I would go check other places, cause i know you can get them for like $17. If anyone lives near Los Angeles, just go to Little tokyo to the Asahiya bookstore.

Also lace...lace, ribbon and a curling iron (sometimes) is a must for lolita fashion . If you want to you can get some fake nails and create your own lolita/gothic design.

Kirschwasser
04-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Yep, Little Tokyo (Los Angeles) is my favourite place to spend all my money. *Fu fu* I've never been to Asahiya before. I always go to Kinokuniya. They have the Gothic & Lolita Bible's there. When I'm in CA this summer, I'll be sure to buy all the G&L issues that I don't have. ^_^

Sailor Naboo
04-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Oh, just a note:

www.jlist.com now does magazine subscriptions. You can subscribe through them and they'll send you the latest Gothic and Lolita magazine the day it hits the newstand in Japan.

I get a magazine through J-List called Cosmo. It only comes out a few times a year, but it has tons of color pictures of Japanese cosplayers including a close up of a detail about each costume. Issue 2 (the first one I got) comes with a pattern for Gunner Yuna from X-2.

Misa-chan
07-03-2003, 08:56 AM
I love egl!! I'm new to it, but I'm working on my own ting now. My friend found this, and we both just adore it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2841552888&category=3016

Pricey huh? But I also want to make this

http://www.skysalt.com/ebay/gothiclolita.jpg

Soooo pretty *.*

makonurikoryoko
07-03-2003, 01:49 PM
0ooo I really like the wedding type outfit in teh secon link! ^_^ soo pretty!! Im hopeing after Otakon to be able to whip up an EGL or two for ebay. I just made one and i love it!!! ::huggles dress:: pics are in my gallery. I got many stares when i wore it in boston but it was fun!
I just wish the fashion would become popular here! ::imagine tromping around EVERYWHERE in pretty frilly dresses and cute lil bonnets and things::

Misa-chan
07-03-2003, 03:54 PM
Yeah, everything after Otakon for me too! (Most of my expenses are money saved for food & dealers room. :\) I wore a dress that my friend made in downtown Philly and I just said I was one of the colonial re-enacters (because it really looked like one!) and most people bought it! Here's what I'm working on now; In a way it sort of reminds me of Dejiko. :)

makonurikoryoko
07-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Thats a really cute outfit! :3 Can't wait to see it all done ^_^

Mako-san
07-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Hay has anyone actually tried to use the pattern that come in the GLB's.?. I want too but ahh without some instruction it might be difficult and I don't want to mess up a good pattern.

Kurthy133
07-15-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by The_Serifita
I bought the Kera Magazine before and saw that is got some good ideas for EGL clothings too.

i couldnt agree more! i love EGL and FRUiTS and if any of you guys ever have the chance to purchase this mag - i totally recomend it! it shows you exactly how to make all kinds of clothes! even goes into revamping shoes and purses!

it can be very inspiring!

<3

LadyXenie
07-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Misa-chan!!
I'm doing a variation of that costume! I should be done in a matter of days. If I see you Otakon we have to take a pic. together ^_^

Misa-chan
07-18-2003, 05:34 PM
A twin! XD Hopefully I'll get to wear it @ Otakon, if the wig and petticoat ever come in time......>_< I'll probably still be in hotel room working on it Friday morning. :)

Kaede
07-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Wow...can't believe I missed this thread. I love EGL/FRUiTS fashion. Whenever I'm not in costume at Otakon I'll definately always be in a getup of one or the other. And friday morning there's the EGL/EGA teaparty and photoshoot...remember to come if you can make it ^^ I just purchased some backordered Kera and I'm tired of waiting for it to arrive, I've only read Shoxx and Fool's Mate before.

Moogle Hiromi
07-19-2003, 03:04 AM
I am starting to make my own stuff. But I like that no one else wears it. It is kind afun for people to look at you strangely.

But I always manage to look scary no matter how pretty the things are I wear. I enjoy going for long walks at night time, and scaring old people.

Garuda_Aiacos
07-20-2003, 02:44 AM
Hmm, u all mentioned about buying FRUITS. Does it contain that much GL stuffs compared to KERA? KERA is a lot harder to get here than FRUITS. :(

Hehehehee, think some of my cosplay friends gonna kill me cause to them GL is a way of life instead of just cosplaying. But I like GL fashions and too broke to turn it into part of my "outside" clothings.

Kaede
07-20-2003, 08:42 AM
FRUiTS is a street magazine, they showcase pictures of the people who come to Harajuka and other places to show off their new styles and creations. This can be the "decora" style, which is the heavily decorated, bright and fluffy stuff, the GL or anything.