PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak problem

Evil Bishounen
01-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Not sure if anyone here had made plans to get to Anime LA via Amtrak or not...

Unfortunately, their Pacific Surfliner service north of Los Angeles is out until February, due to track repairs. (The Pacific Surfliner is the only route that runs through Van Nuys.)

After checking the site, there seems to be ONE train that goes through every day (at least, checking northbound from LA to Van Nuys, not sure about southbound), and hopefully that's not a glitch on their website... But, it doesn't roll into town until 9:45 at night - meaning that you'll either miss the first day of the con, or you'll get there the night before and need to find a place to stay.

Talk about a last-minute bummer @.@ I figured a warning would be good, just in case anyone might get affected by this... I definitely would have been, if someone hadn't offered my friend and I a ride a few days ago...

Eveil
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Would that apply to Metrolink as well? x_x since they do share some track with amtrak. ah, might as well call tomorrow.

Anele
01-26-2005, 12:11 AM
I just checked the Metrolink website. It seems that some of the closures were fixed. O_o Which is weird, since they do share lines with Amtrak... I would still call to make sure. It would be wise to call Amtrak as well, since they had a glitch in their reservation protocol a few weeks ago (not saying this is a glitch [hopefully it is, for the traveler's sake], but better safe than sorry).

animeBecky21
01-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Might try the Amtrak forum at www.railroad.net and see if anyone there has some inside information on how to get connections if you need to go. Usually when they have to cancel a train for a wreck or some other thing, they substitute busses between the two destinations.

Evil Bishounen
01-26-2005, 12:18 AM
*checks the website* Metrolink seems to be still running their Ventura line... North of Moorpark there's a modified schedule, but south of there (which includes Van Nuys) it seems to be ok...

Eveil
01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
okies, good. I'm going from Norwalk to LA to Van Nuys.

Mikei
01-26-2005, 03:44 AM
As for the metro Van Nuys Metro stop, it stops over by the plant which still is pretty far away. Are you walking from the train station to con? Its a pretty far walk. I would suggest the Northridge stop its only like 5 miles away and you can take a bus to Balboa and Roscoe. PM me if you need further details. I live only 5miles away from con so I know the city really well.

Hazel Chaz
01-26-2005, 06:51 AM
As for the metro Van Nuys Metro stop, it stops over by the plant which still is pretty far away. Are you walking from the train station to con? Its a pretty far walk. I would suggest the Northridge stop its only like 5 miles away and you can take a bus to Balboa and Roscoe. PM me if you need further details. I live only 5miles away from con so I know the city really well.

If you get off at the Van Nuys stop, you can call the hotel and ask them to send the shuttle van over to pick you up. 818-997-7676. If you have a cell phone, I'd suggest calling when you pass the stop before Van Nuys. (Same goes if you make it to the Van Nuys Flyaway Terminal, which might be how some people are coming from LAX.)

Don't know if they'd pick you up at Northridge...

Chaz

Gainax Boy
01-26-2005, 05:20 PM
What about the train accident that happened around the Glendale area today? I hope that doesn't cause too many mishaps for people travelling this weekend.

Hazel Chaz
01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
What about the train accident that happened around the Glendale area today? I hope that doesn't cause too many mishaps for people travelling this weekend.

Oh heavens, what a mess. And the rains won't make it easier to clean up.

Fortunately it looks like there shouldn't be a lengthy investigation -- they know what caused it. Mostly it's a matter of getting the busted equipment hauled away, and the working equipment back on its wheels.

I expect it'll throw off Thursday's schedules, and maybe Friday, but I'll be astonished if they're not back in service Saturday. (And they should have bus filler service going... anyone know where to find that info? It's been years since I was in the loop on these things.)

Eveil
01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Not walking, hotel shuttle can pick me up no charge...I just have to let them know 30mins ahead of time.

Metrolink does NOT work on weekends. I called them and they're unsure about the schedules in that area, but said to call tomorrow in the afternoon to check.

Mikei
01-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh well, I wasn't aware of that there is a shuttle. I was just trying to convince the people who have to hoof it to con from train. It sucks I know. Hehe.

Anele
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Metrolink only works the San Bernadino lines on weekends (Sundays, I think). So yeah... gotta "love" trains. @_@

Eveil
01-27-2005, 04:38 PM
huhuhuhu

Called Metrolink and Metro this morning. Norwalk to Union Station is running, but from Union Station to Van Nuys requires a bus from Metro.
They gave me this list of instructions of how to get to the con:

At Union Station take Metro Red Line West out of L.A. to North Hollywood Station. Then from Hollywood Station, take Metro Bus 156 South and it will stop at Van Nuys Station.
Or ask someone who works there ;F

hooorayy!