PDA

View Full Version : I need some help for my kikyo cosplay!

chibi chii
01-01-2003, 12:57 AM
HIYA EVERYONE!!! I'm cosplaying kikyo and I need a few suggestions. first of i'm a little confused with her pants. I was thinking about buying a hakama but they don't have the right color. and also they don't look quite as accurate. I am up to the challenge of making a hakama and i wonder that if i do that i'll be able to customize it. but, if that won't work i wondering if i should just make a large pattern for pants and make it look like kikyo's costume. i'm not going to have a problem with the kimono styled shirt. but with the pants , i am at a lost with them. can someone please . HHHHHHEELP MMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

thankies to everyone who reads this and replies!! :thumbsup: :crylaugh:

Himemiya
01-01-2003, 01:39 AM
kikyo from what? x.x
Can you post a picture?

Sachiko
01-01-2003, 10:14 AM
I'll assume it's Kikyo of Inuyasha ^_^

Koumori
01-01-2003, 10:21 AM
They are hakama, I believe - that's what Shinto shrine maidens typically wear (cf Sailor Mars). It's difficult to find red ones in this country, but if you get a cotton one from a martial arts supply store, you should be able to dye it.

chibi chii
01-01-2003, 12:17 PM
yup it's kikyo alright!=3 he he i live in massachussetts so I'm not sure where to get one and i'm a little worried about it's length. kikyos hakama practicly covers her feet but if you could tell me where a store like that is i'll try it! thankies !

ChelseyBelsey
01-01-2003, 12:50 PM
You could probably find a store online that sells that sort of thing. That is if you're allowed/willing to buy things off the internet.

http://www.4martialartssupplies.com/kendopants.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/enjutsukai/hakamapants.html

:) There's more than that (searched on google) but I wanted you to find them ;)

Koumori
01-01-2003, 02:15 PM
If you do buy some and plan to dye them, make sure they're cotton or a cotton blend - it's difficult to dye polyester at home, and seems to be a crapshoot at best. Just measure yourself carefully and look at the store's measuring guidelines to choose the correct length for you.

Cassyndra
01-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Same here! I was going to see if I could find a wig first, and if I couldn't, i'd find someone else.

MonoyashaJLA
01-27-2003, 02:31 PM
It might be easier to do it yourself unless you already purchased a hakama. You could sew in an elastic so the waist wouldn't be a problem, then purchase a pattern/design packet form a fabric shop on karate costumes so you know how the pants are put together. You need to figure out the width of the pant legs before to do any cutting. So, use a lot of pins, make the legs like triangles then adjust length by curling the tip of the triangle legs down to slip on. When you find the right shape, use the pattern/design packet to finish the waist part of the pants. I'm going to Katsucon in Feb 03 as Inuyasha, it would be great if you could come. See Yah ;)

Cocoa
01-27-2003, 03:14 PM
There's a pattern online here:
http://sarcasm.fanfic.org/hakamapattern.html
You can also buy patterns from Folkwear and Round Earth Publishing, although the Folkwear one is currently down for redesign:
www.folkwear.com
www.round-earth.com

I've never used any of these (yet, of course ^^), but they're what's been pointed out elsewhere. And BTW, you shouldn't have to worry about the waist if the pair is in your size. It's my understanding that there are gaps at the waist on the sides, and it ties, so it should be adjustable.
-Cocoa

Koumori
01-27-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Cocoa
There's a pattern online here:
I've never used any of these (yet, of course ^^), but they're what's been pointed out elsewhere. And BTW, you shouldn't have to worry about the waist if the pair is in your size. It's my understanding that there are gaps at the waist on the sides, and it ties, so it should be adjustable.

Yes and no. Hakama were originally designed for the male figure. As such, they fall straight down, and people with a significant waist/hip difference will often find that they hang strangely over the hips, because there really isn't quite enough fabric there to make the pleats fall as they're meant to. The Round Earth pattern, which I've used and can't recommend highly enough, includes a sheet on ways to fix this problem.

Cocoa
01-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for pointing it- out, Koumori. See? I learn something new every day. And I've seen the Round Earth pattern highly recommended else where as well. I think I'm going to end up using that for an outfit I'm doing for Shoujocon, once I convince myself that the pattern is worth the money...the all patterns for a dollar sales at Jo-Ann's and having both my mother's and my grandmother's collection to go through has kind of spoiled me ^^
-Cocoa

Mink
01-27-2003, 06:22 PM
Wow that tutorial was major big help for me! Thank you muchly!

chibi chii
01-31-2003, 04:08 PM
thanks all of you! this helps alot!

Arisa
01-31-2003, 08:23 PM
I wanna make a Kikyo costume myself... seeing as I intend to actually become a Shinto miko when I'm an adult, I'd like to be able to wear the outfit that miko wear. ^_^ Am I weird? oo; ...Did that even make sense? o.-

Kabuki
02-01-2003, 12:44 AM
www.kimono-nishijin.com sells shrine maiden's kimono and hakama sets but their site seems to be down right now >_< its based in japan...but its an english site geared towards foreigners..::koffUSkoff:: LOL

there are hakama for women but they tie differently and are worn much higher up than on a man. they lack the koshiita (trapazoid shaped piece in the back) and are worn w/o a makkura (pad to make the butt look bigger and help the hakama fall straight down the back of the legs) women wore hakama alot before WWII but its pretty much a dead fashion now.

Babbit_Chan
02-01-2003, 01:33 AM
A question on dying : If you bought black hakama, couldn't you dye them white then red? (given enough time between the two)

Koumori
02-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Babbit_Chan
A question on dying : If you bought black hakama, couldn't you dye them white then red? (given enough time between the two)

You could *try*. Again, this is going to depend on the fiber content. Most of the black ones I see for sale in this country are either polyester, which is difficult to bleach at all, or a blend, which would be hit and miss. I really think you'd be better off getting white ones and dyeing them - there's just less room for error.

kitty_neko
02-01-2003, 09:36 AM
right now theres a hakama like kikyos on ebay... its under love hina cosplay, but its still the same outfit... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3204522104&category=13665

^_^

Babbit_Chan
02-01-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Koumori
You could *try*. Again, this is going to depend on the fiber content. Most of the black ones I see for sale in this country are either polyester, which is difficult to bleach at all, or a blend, which would be hit and miss. I really think you'd be better off getting white ones and dyeing them - there's just less room for error.

I'll probably get white cotton hakama in the end =D On the offchance that I do find cotton hakama, that would work, right?

Koumori
02-01-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Babbit_Chan
I'll probably get white cotton hakama in the end =D On the offchance that I do find cotton hakama, that would work, right?

Yep. Cotton is the easiest/most reliable fabric for dye. You can get white ones at http://www.e-bogu.com which is where I used to get mine for kendo, but they aren't cheap.

Xx Lulu xX
02-01-2003, 06:41 PM
:thumbsup: Great tutorial...ahah..now if only I had known of that tutorial last year, i could have made a real Hakama.......-.-; oi....think i'm gonna re-do my Miko Style Rei over again......