PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Shoujo con so close to the BAAF this year?

AnimeParty
01-01-2003, 10:44 AM
It stinks. $$$ is an issue now, I don't know if I can make both...

Ranma Saotome
01-02-2003, 02:59 AM
It was when they were able to get the hotel.

TheAnarCHris
01-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Yeah I heard they pushed it back b/c of Otakon...which ironically is 2 weeks b4 shoujo...screwy aint it?

Eriol
01-07-2003, 07:29 PM
It is inevitable that there are now too many conventions close to each other.
It is now a matter of business. If a con cannot earn enough money from visitors, it will eventually shut down.

I hope that SJC will provide a good venue to earn your dollars.

hikura
01-28-2003, 04:07 PM
Animeparty.I'm going to this con too so if you need a friend contact me.Plus i'm going BAAf also.We can help each other.

Tamoko
02-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Maybe its best to go to cons you like? I mean sure you wanna exp. stuff but go to the con you wish to go to the most.. and if you're in it for the cosplay, then stay overnight (as always) and change your costume every 12 hours >/ aka you'll have 4 costumes and just as much fun. I mean, i know also, theat there are way too many cons but havent you noticed that they're all.. out there? Theres only one or two close to me so its really anoying so you who can get to many cons should be thankful. Why dont.. maybe, some of you do lottery stuff, do chores, work extra hours.. you know.. save up.. x.o;

SJC Chair
02-13-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey!

The dates have less to do with the available time at our new hotel than the fact that in 2003, the three largest cons related to animation and comics are taking place two weeks apart from one another (almost), in July.

We wanted to pick dates which would allow con supporters to take summer vacation, while not getting squeezed between Anime Expo and Comic Con San Diego (and, as we learned later, Otakon's dates). It would be hard for us, however, to avoid picking the same dates as other anime/manga cons altogether, since we want to remain a summer con, but also realize that the number of anime/manga cons has grown considerably since SJC first came to be.

Yes, if you want to attend both Shoujocon and BAAF, it can be a tough decision when you've got only so much paycheck to stretch. But SJC also has one and two-day passes, so if you can't make the whole weekend, you can still enjoy some of the con without too big a hit in the wallet. ^-^

Paulette
Shoujocon 2003 Chair

Caryn
02-23-2003, 02:11 PM
The only chance I have of being able to make SJC is if I pay for the whooole thing myself. And being a highschool student, that's hard >.< lol, I don't even know where Rye, NY is. Is it close to NYC? :S

AnimeParty
02-23-2003, 04:51 PM
It's about 20 min north of the city in Westchester. ^_^ and 20 min. south of me. ^^
I'm in high school too. ^^ Hope to see you there.

Caryn
02-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Ahh! Thankies AnimeParty...that's close!! *spazzes* I wanna go to SJC, Otakon, AND BAAF...but I dunno if I can pay for both SJC and Otakon by myself....arghhh, decisions!! And they're all so close in date, too. *sigh* Well if I can only make it to two out of the three I'll do Otakon and BAAF...but I really wanna go to this.....grrr, I guess I'll just save up loads of money and see what I can pay for...

Selphie_fairy
02-28-2003, 06:22 PM
hehe im going to both even tho shoujo is 45 minutes away>.< oh well...money is an issue now so i hope we get snow so ican earn a couple of dollars^^man...im even saving up my lunch money^^;

xKaori
02-28-2003, 10:15 PM
Money is always an issue. Well better find a job soon. ^^; Caryn wanna go to Shoujocon together? My teacher told me just to take metro-north from NYC. o.o;

Caryn
02-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I need to get a job, too....I'm determined to go to all three cons!!

Kaori: I would love to go to Shoujocon with you! ^_^ Btw, are you going to Otakon?

xKaori
03-01-2003, 12:49 AM
I was suppose to go to Otakon. T.T I was gonna meet a few people there. >.< But it turns out I can't make it. Making the cosplay outfit will take a lot of my time. Not to metion planning a trip there with the anime club from my school. o.o; Cousins coming and everything. So I really don't have the time or money.

AnimeParty
03-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by xKaori
Money is always an issue. Well better find a job soon. ^^; Caryn wanna go to Shoujocon together? My teacher told me just to take metro-north from NYC. o.o;

Yep...Take the local to Rye. ^_^ The express no bring you there. The express goes to White Plains and beyond. If you want, you can take the express to Chappaqua and maybe we could pick you up....?

animeandska
03-01-2003, 06:34 PM
i hope i can find people at shojocon- maybe by that time i will have made a new cosplay outfit-

AnimeParty
03-02-2003, 10:53 AM
YAYness. New costume!!!

Ranma Saotome
03-02-2003, 11:43 AM
And besides...

Shoujocon > BAAF.

I still have bad dreams about BAAF... All the walking! >.<

animeandska
03-02-2003, 05:55 PM
I-con has more walking involved than any other con i bet- I mean the campus is probally 2 miles squared or bigger- i have no idea, either way its alot of walk and getting lost *cries*

Eriol
03-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Isn't I-Con not exclusively anime anyway?

I don't see how BAAF draws a good number of people. Its venues are scattered. I guess anime fans are a dedicated lot.