PDA

View Full Version : Digital?


KANEDA
01-02-2003, 03:30 AM
anyone here do anything in Illustrator or Photoshop that's worth looking at?
I mean, I know you all don't JUST scribble with pencils, right?

I wanna see!!

Yautja834
01-02-2003, 08:24 AM
i havent actually made anything that great, i usually just screw around with pics in photoshop. Well actually, i have made a few pics of dots that kind of look like cells that are kind of trippy. But other than that i guess not.

sailor-moon
01-02-2003, 12:39 PM
im still trying to master that thing...ill post one as soon as i do a nice one worth posting -.-

KANEDA
01-02-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm a bloody master of Illustrator!!!!
if someone posts one of their pics, I'll post one of mine. ^_^

sailor-moon
01-02-2003, 07:48 PM
ok here is a crappy one -.-

Spooky Brew
01-02-2003, 07:50 PM
I do the Photoshop! That's cute Sailor-moon!!

sailor-moon
01-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Spooky Brew
I do the Photoshop! That's cute Sailor-moon!!
thanx spooky!!^o^ ::huggles::

KANEDA
01-02-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
ok here is a crappy one -.-


well, here's one of my mid-range pics.
not too too graphically intense, not bad at all though.
I like things simple and stunning. With lots of contrast..

I lowered the res to 72 pixels an inch...
don't want to take up tooo much space on here, ya know.

Comments? Questions? anything?

If you wanna see a more realistic, life-like pic I did, again using only Illustrator... ask me. I'll post more.

sailor-moon
01-02-2003, 11:12 PM
awww!!thats so cute!!

KANEDA
01-02-2003, 11:22 PM
thanky thanky ^_^
I can do a good job with cute.
But I have a really broad range as well.
I gots plenty more to show!!!
hehehe

DJ(SiC)ness
01-03-2003, 04:46 AM
im pretty good with photoshop

i have never used Illustrator

LiL QoH
01-03-2003, 05:00 AM
All the time... actually I'm just finishing up a wallpaper of Adella that I did.. I do a lot of photomanipulation as well..

sailor-moon
01-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by KANEDA
thanky thanky ^_^
I can do a good job with cute.
But I have a really broad range as well.
I gots plenty more to show!!!
hehehe
ooh!!! the yes!!the eyes!!^o^ lol, another great one!

LiL QoH
01-03-2003, 03:26 PM
ooo vector stuff is fuuun..... this is something I did for a scholarshop contest at school in the media arts department.... I got in the top 10 so it's in the schools gallery... and I was the only girl to enter my catagory I believe:D


http://qoh.homestead.com/files/geishaart2.jpg

KANEDA
01-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by LiL QoH
[B]ooo vector stuff is fuuun..... this is something I did for a scholarshop contest at school in the media arts department.... I got in the top 10 so it's in the schools gallery... and I was the only girl to enter my catagory I believe:D





THAT IS DAMN GOOOOD.
wow. me likey.

Hmmmm what shall I post?
alot of my pics are too big for this forum.....
and if I re-size them, they'll lose detail and just.. bleeeeeech

ooh this one may be a nice one to show....
I did this ALL on Illustrator 9
no Photoshop or anything...

Maryssa
01-03-2003, 10:28 PM
kaneda: did you draw those freehand first or did you just trace over existing images? i have found it is quite common for people to do the latter and call themselves great illusrtators and it pisses me off immensely.

i've done most of my recent work in illustrator because it's what my boss likes. however it hasnt been put up on the website yet.

KANEDA
01-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Maryssa
kaneda: did you draw those freehand first or did you just trace over existing images? i have found it is quite common for people to do the latter and call themselves great illusrtators and it pisses me off immensely.

i've done most of my recent work in illustrator because it's what my boss likes. however it hasnt been put up on the website yet.



well I used real images for positioning on some of 'em, but that's all. Just for the basic out-line (which I could draw with pencil if I wanted anyways...)
almost NO ONE ever uses Illustrator free-hand... 'cause it'll look like shit. it's like any other artform that isn't completely abstract... if you're making images of people... you base it off of people. Besides that's how they introduce you to it in college.

but position (outline) is all I'd ever use real images of people for.
Everything else is from me. background, clothing, color, etc, etc, etc...
it's not like it's a fast job either...
most of my works take between 10 and 50+ hours.

many many many hours at home and in the college art-building computerlab.

that's how most of the Illustrator world works.
no one's hiding it.
sorry to dissapoint you. hehehe

Maryssa
01-03-2003, 11:18 PM
i meant it more as in did you hand draw the figures on paper first, scan them, and then draw over in illustrator

i dunno its just a personal peeve of mine... i always make sure to draw out my own figures first because i dont want to be stealing in any way possible.

Coffin
01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
ya know...when you get down to it, its all about pencil & pen.

KANEDA
01-03-2003, 11:44 PM
well it isn't stealing at all really.
it's all interpritation. thats all art is really is anyway.
these postitions exist... I wanna do a piece with a person in a specific pose. so I find that pose where I can. if ya gotta draw it... well you just have to draw it then.. BUT if you don't have to... there's nothing wrong with basing it off of an existing source of any kind.

I mean.... I could go one and on and on into theories of post modernism, found-art, pop art, etc, etc... But that's alot of writing...



"art is but imitation of nature"

KANEDA
01-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Coffin
ya know...when you get down to it, its all about pencil & pen.

ummm ....well not really.
art is VAST.
and unless you've come up with some really unique revolutionary style.... pencil and pen is boring most of the time.
there is more to expression, creativity and art than just knowing how to draw.
I mean, there are people that can draw other people perfectly.. but it's the most boring, pointless crap you've ever laid eyes on...

Coffin
01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
some times thats just cause the person cant draw... when you first started to do art, what was the media you were using?hmm...hmmm...hmmmmm!

Maryssa
01-04-2003, 02:56 AM
dude chill. not all art is drawing with a pencil.

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Coffin
some times thats just cause the person cant draw... when you first started to do art, what was the media you were using?hmm...hmmm...hmmmmm!


knowing how to draw is a nice thing if you wanna be an artist...like an illustrator of some kind...
BUT really.. art is more.. ALOT more than just pencils and such.

and WHY are you so hung up on pencils and pens anyways?!
I mean, I'm great with pen and screentone.
and pencil and stuff...
but that's so... lower level stuff for me most of the time.

sailor-moon
01-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by KANEDA
?!
I mean, I'm great with pen and screentone.
and pencil and stuff...
but that's so... lower level stuff for me most of the time.
lets see some paint and pencil work:D

LiL QoH
01-04-2003, 01:07 PM
Art is also a lot more than tracing peoples portraits :untrust:

sailor-moon
01-04-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by LiL QoH
Art is also a lot more than tracing peoples portraits :untrust:
LOL :thumbsup: yea, thats a true true TRUE^.^

final testament
01-04-2003, 02:40 PM
ya...lets see some pencil work. If it's so low level then, You must be awsome at it?

Arukas
01-04-2003, 03:38 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5475

here are some photoshop works...not good but hey...i tried..

pencil works i find are amazing..like how they manage to blend it in so well...

Coffin
01-04-2003, 03:54 PM
im not saying that any other style is crappy, or that i think pencil is the best. all im saying is that you should diss "lower level" stuff just cause you dont like it or that you personally dont use that media...for instance; your art kicks ass. but something in pencil or pen can kick the same amount... im not trying to start anything...

-love and peace.

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by LiL QoH
Art is also a lot more than tracing peoples portraits :untrust:

true. and I DO more.
I am also on DIGITAL HARDCORE RECORDINGS....
I make hard hard hard extreme breakcore and/or experimental ambient soundscapes.
I do true black & white photography.
I'm a jack-of-all-trades pretty much.
and my art goes far beyond the abillity to draw.

Wanna see my self-portrait covered in my own blood and plasma?!

Tenjou
01-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Kaneda~ Hey! I love the self-portrait you just posted. It's really cool! How'd you get the blood-stuff like that? o_o! is it all digital? or something else? I think it's a really good effect. I like your other stuff too. ^_^

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by final testament
ya...lets see some pencil work. If it's so low level then, You must be awsome at it?

well most of my stuff is either too big to be scanned.. or just too light or something.. everytime i try to scan any pencil works they just look sooo ..blech... dunno if it's my scanner or what.
and trying to adjust for the shitty scans in Photoshop.. just doesn't do 'em justice.

BUT.. LETS SEE.....
Well fuck.. this is an OLD one from about... 1996 or so...
shitty scan though... I think the problem with scanning this one BESIDES it being too big for the scanner... was that it's on rice-paper... so it looks blotchy in the scan or something..
and it's not even one of my better pencil works AT all... it's just the only one I have scanned.

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Tenjou
Kaneda~ Hey! I love the self-portrait you just posted. It's really cool! How'd you get the blood-stuff like that? o_o! is it all digital? or something else? I think it's a really good effect. I like your other stuff too. ^_^


Long painful story...
BUT....
I punched a metal door as hard as I could and my hand broke and one of the bones went through the skin.... so there was blood and plazma oozing out all over the place..
so I opened my sketchbook and smeared it in there...
went to the hospital, got a cast on my hand...
came home scanned the blood... scanned a pic of me, fucked around with it, etc, etc..... and a few hours later the portrait was done.

Tenjou
01-04-2003, 07:37 PM
[ Long painful story...
BUT....
I punched a metal door as hard as I could and my hand broke and one of the bones went through the skin.... so there was blood and plazma oozing out all over the place..
so I opened my sketchbook and smeared it in there...
went to the hospital, got a cast on my hand...
came home scanned the blood... scanned a pic of me, fucked around with it, etc, etc..... and a few hours later the portrait was done. ]

Even if that is pretty nasty...that is an awesome picture. *_* That sounds so harsh XD! but really, that's really awesome. It just gets across a cool message. ^^; bleh. I'm rambling, but it just looks COOL XP

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 07:45 PM
art is more than just technique.

pretty pictures are pretty pictures... but without a story to it.. or pain.. it's ...well sorry to say.. but kinda weak.

the best art in the world... the best music,.. the best poetry all deals with pain on some level.. a lack of life or an over-abundence of life.

final testament
01-04-2003, 08:42 PM
My Philosopher! Well, aren't we are just a barrel of emotions. I will admit that your work is good, no doubt about that. It's a good Morrissey but like you said, it was on rice paper so it came out blotchy. Not to diss you or your work but, where's the love? You talk about making art with pain and similar emotions. I personally cannot draw on paper when I'm mad....I paint large canvas murals when I am, I have 3 completed so, that lets you know how often I use rage to make my artwork. (not too often)

I always pour my heart into a piece that I draw, even if it's just a sketch. And no, pencil and pens are not inferior...I think it takes more skill than using a computer program. Because you actually have to do the lines, detail and shapes using your eye...not mathmatical calibrations via software. Don't get me wrong though, P.shop and Illustrator can give you some really cool pics (I love em) but, If you are able to draw that same pic by hand or make it even better....then shit, your an artist!!!

So don't sell the pencil short....that right there is being stubborn and ignorant.

Good art though Chris.

sailor-moon
01-04-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by final testament


I always pour my heart into a piece that I draw, even if it's just a sketch. And no, pencil and pens are not inferior...I think it takes more skill than using a computer program. Because you actually have to do the lines, detail and shapes using your eye...not mathmatical calibrations via software. Don't get me wrong though, P.shop and Illustrator can give you some really cool pics (I love em) but, If you are able to draw that same pic by hand or make it even better....then shit, your an artist!!!

So don't sell the pencil short....that right there is being stubborn and ignorant.

Good art though Chris.
yesh!!pencils kick butt!!its so easy to color using P.shop-.- its a pain to do it with water colors, by hand....but i like it:D

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 09:23 PM
I never diss on pencil and pen.... just those who think art is ONLY the ability to draw and so on.
I'm actually hella good with both.
But really ANY medum can be used to express ANY emotion.
And Illustrator is no exception.... I mean it's not all mathmatical really.. it IS more slow and planned out than frantic pencil sketching. But the result is what matters to me, not the means.

and "where's the love?"... hmmmm?
meaning what exactly?
my stuff, all of my stuff (black & white photography, music, drawings, paintings, digital stuff) mostly deals with internal darkenss and longing, anger, hate, blinding rage.

THE POWER OF THE VOID.


...but also there is love in there... you just have to look.

sailor-moon
01-04-2003, 09:33 PM
i want to see one of your anime drawings^__^ you do those? *,*

peaseblossom
01-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I am an artist (heh heh, I graduate in a year! Yay!) and I work mostly in watercolour. I really like me some good CG art and am pretty fair at it myself(would be MUCH better if my WACOM tablet was better. The one I have is tough to control.) However, I do not feel that CG is any higher art than a pencil drawing. What makes art high is its quality, its meaning, the passion involved in it. Art is not something that can be readily defined. Art just is.

KANEDA
01-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
i want to see one of your anime drawings^__^ you do those? *,*


eeehhh I can, very very well actually, but I kinda prefer not to.
Americans that try to nick the anime/manga style ...ehhh it just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. it's soooo over-done nowadays.

If you can do it... BUT also have your own style completely seperate from the whole anime thing.. that's cool.

I'm more interested in the areas between fine art and graphic art/ design... than illustration.

final testament
01-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Well either way. I personally want to see more of your work. You speak of it so highly...now you have me a bit curious about it. If you would do us a favor and post some of it..that'll be cool. I mean even Moonie want's to see em. Don't ignore your public!

sailor-moon
01-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by final testament
Well either way. I personally want to see more of your work. You speak of it so highly...now you have me a bit curious about it. If you would do us a favor and post some of it..that'll be cool. I mean even Moonie want's to see em. Don't ignore your public!

:D yes yes...i like anime drawings....some are difficult to do KANEDA.....

final testament
01-05-2003, 12:18 AM
SEEEEEEEEEEE.. there she is!! *High fives Moonie*

Hi Moonie!!

well Kaneda...put em on a Homestead site or something and post the URL.

KANEDA
01-05-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by final testament
Well either way. I personally want to see more of your work. You speak of it so highly...now you have me a bit curious about it. If you would do us a favor and post some of it..that'll be cool. I mean even Moonie want's to see em. Don't ignore your public!


well some are just too big to post here... and if I shrink 'em... they just lose tooo much soul and detail..
So I'll just post what I have scanned, etc...

here's one of my back & white photography pieces....

sailor-moon
01-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by KANEDA
well some is just too big to post here... and if I shrink 'em... they just lose tooo much soul and detail..
So I'll just post what I have scanned, etc...

here's one of my back & white photography pieces....

its ok, well know that if you minimize it itll look somewhat off. :D so come on,le'see^.^

final testament
01-05-2003, 12:35 AM
ya..listen to the lady. Be a gentleman like you state so often.

KANEDA
01-05-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by sailor-moon
its ok, well know that if you minimize it itll look somewhat off. :D so come on,le'see^.^


hmmm.. well... damn.. I dunno what to show you..
I got tons of stuff. hmmmmm....
I guess the easiest would be more Illustrator pieces.
'cause i don't have to scan anything for that and they are 100% clean already..

and scanning paintings is either too damn delecate or they are just too big....
most everything I've shown you was HUGE and I shrunk it...
the original of my self portrait in blood is really gigantic.....
all of these are losing soooo much detail as I shrink them.
~_~

LiL QoH
01-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Dont scan our paintings I take pictures of mine... get it on 300 dpi and its all gravy the I can tweak the lighting in photoshop and stuff

KANEDA
01-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by LiL QoH
Dont scan our paintings I take pictures of mine... get it on 300 dpi and its all gravy the I can tweak the lighting in photoshop and stuff


I don't have a digital camera. Wish I did though.
it's not like i don't have the $$$ either. I got lots just burning a hole in my pocket. But I usually spend it on electronic musical gear.

But anyways....
hmm what's another one I can show.....?
ahh yes, this one.
This took longer than you'd think.
I dunno though.. for some weird reason the bottom lip appears red (like it should!) on PCs... but orange on Macs.

Bobbi
01-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Ehh... here's one of mine. =)

http://gallery.overload.nu/data/media/7/blueskies.jpg

sailor-moon
01-06-2003, 12:09 PM
thats so adorable

Originally posted by Bobbi
Ehh... here's one of mine. =)

http://gallery.overload.nu/data/media/7/blueskies.jpg

Bobbi
01-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Thx. =) I don't remember when I did it, I think March or April 01... =P

Hmms... this isn't fan art or anything but it qualifies as digital. It's a poster design for a theatre thingy-ma-doo at my college. Copies were made and hung about the campus. ^^;

http://gallery.overload.nu/data/media/11/artandartistposter.jpg

KANEDA
01-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Bobbi
[B]Ehh... here's one of mine. =)



what program(s) did you use?

Bobbi
01-06-2003, 03:28 PM
what program(s) did you use?



Photoshop. It was a doodle I sketched on notebook paper with a pen... just put layers and layers of color and smudged like crazy... ended up with that after 8 hours. ^^;

KANEDA
01-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Bobbi
Photoshop. It was a doodle I sketched on notebook paper with a pen... just put layers and layers of color and smudged like crazy... ended up with that after 8 hours. ^^;


I really don't use Photoshop very much at all.
I just don't like the way it works.

I just mainly foccuss on Illustrator.
but like I said, it's the outcome that matters... not the means or technique.

Bobbi
01-07-2003, 03:39 AM
Ah, well I took classes in photoshop for graphic design, so I learned quite a bit about it. I'd use illustrator a lot more, only my compy doesn't have enough ram at the moment, so I can't use it. Gotta wait till I have money to upgrade it. ><;

KANEDA
01-08-2003, 04:40 PM
yeah I'm planning on getting an Alienware system.. or a G4 with dual processors. ..STILL end up crashing because my graphics are soooo heavy.

KANEDA
01-09-2003, 10:43 PM
I'd post more.... but my monitor went out.. and so I'm on a laptop now...and of course none of my pics are in this machine.

KANEDA
01-29-2003, 11:22 PM
O.K I'M BRINGING THIS SUKKA BACK!!!
this thread has been dead WAAAAAYYYY too long.

anyone got new digital pieces to show?
post 'em!!!

Sakaki
01-30-2003, 09:17 AM
I spent about 11 hours on this thing ...

http://www.lunarstarr.com/linelike/cleanphoenixhead.jpg

The full shot (resized):
http://www.lunarstarr.com/linelike/cleanphoenixweb.jpg

I fix old photos like a pro, but unfortunately such activities drive me absolutely up the wall.


"High Anti (Denies Having Money, but Shops at Hot Topic)"
http://www.lunarstarr.com/linelike/ack/money03.jpg

This looked quite a bit better before I resized it (the original drawings are about fourteen inches tall) ... as you often say, so much detail is lost. It is part of a set that I did when I was in a phase obsessing about images of society and money. XP

KANEDA
01-30-2003, 04:45 PM
hahaha radical!
really really good.
^_~

I spent about 15 hours on the portrait I posted in here a while ago.

I spent 50+ hours on a Gundam, but I dunno if I wanna show anyone...

ravensquee
02-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Dude! You HAAAVE to post that.

...Mmmmyup.

And hot damn, people here have so much tre' groovy digital artistic talent! Nice work y'all! I'm so jealous! ;p Hahaha... :)

TsukiGuujin
02-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Not that anyone cares NOW, but all of work is done in Illustrator. I use Photoshop some, but I am mainly Illustrator oriented. Check my gallery here to see my work.

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

StereoLab
02-05-2003, 02:33 AM
does anyone use photoshop to actually alter photos, rather than as an illustrator tool? and I don't mean cosplay pictures you found, but like picture you took specifically for an artwork. im really interested in photography and i would love to see some of those works.

i think i have one photo i altered in my gallery, but its pretty old.

KANEDA
02-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by StereoLab
does anyone use photoshop to actually alter photos, rather than as an illustrator tool? and I don't mean cosplay pictures you found, but like picture you took specifically for an artwork. im really interested in photography and i would love to see some of those works.

i think i have one photo i altered in my gallery, but its pretty old.



yeah...
http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=142502

here's one of my b&w's I took.. did the whole darkroom thing.. then scanned it and went to work in PhotoDeluxe and Photoshop..

Something Lulu
02-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Digital art, eh? Well, I haven't been using Illustrator for very long, and I'm still not really sure how to do all that cool stuff that Kaneda does with it, but I like using it for line art, and then I color it in another program. (I have Photoshop, but again, I don't really know how to use it, so I don't. >_<) I have some of my Illustrator drawings in my gallery, but here's two that I really like.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21422&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

This one is my favorite of a series of pics I did for a graphic design assignment. http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21420&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 They're very simple - simply colored, simply drawn - because I felt I was already going too far with them for the assignment. It wasn't an illustration project, but one dealing with format. I was just having fun drawing in Illustrator and learning how to use it. ^_^ As it's been mentioned many times, detail gets lost in the shrinking, which is another reason I didn't add too much.

StereoLab
02-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by KANEDA
yeah...
http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=142502

here's one of my b&w's I took.. did the whole darkroom thing.. then scanned it and went to work in PhotoDeluxe and Photoshop..

That looks kind of like Dave McKean's work. Like his Sandman cover and tarot card series. I like it, is there any significance to the katakana?

I'm still getting used to the darkroom. but here are some older stuff i did for ap art.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/misao/artwork/fineart/soap.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/anime/misao/artwork/fineart/noose.jpg

KANEDA
02-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Something Lulu
Digital art, eh? Well, I haven't been using Illustrator for very long, and I'm still not really sure how to do all that cool stuff that Kaneda does with it, but I like using it for line art, and then I color it in another program. (I have Photoshop, but again, I don't really know how to use it, so I don't. >_<) I have some of my Illustrator drawings in my gallery, but here's two that I really like.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21422&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

This one is my favorite of a series of pics I did for a graphic design assignment. http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=21420&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 They're very simple - simply colored, simply drawn - because I felt I was already going too far with them for the assignment. It wasn't an illustration project, but one dealing with format. I was just having fun drawing in Illustrator and learning how to use it. ^_^ As it's been mentioned many times, detail gets lost in the shrinking, which is another reason I didn't add too much.



it's just years and years of practice.... ^_~
this one only took me 15 hours.

http://forums.cosplay.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=104869