PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi Costumes

Mei Lan Chang
01-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Oooo, it just tickles me to see this forum made. You did it just for me, didn't you Aeris? Meh heh heh heh...

Right now I have a Leeloo costume underway from the Fifth Element, one of my all time favorite movies. And after that I have to decide whether I am finally going to make a Padme Amidala costume like I have been promising myself. So many costumes, so little time!

But anyway, do you have any science fiction/fantasy movie costumes you are going to/currently are/ or plan to work on?

Spooky Brew
01-02-2003, 02:28 PM
I love Leeloo and the whole Fifth Element! I can't wait to see that Mei Lan!! Not really totally Scifi but I did do a Xena and Indiana Jones a couple years ago! But I hope to do something Farscape in the future!

camuimana
01-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Right now I'm working on Arwen from LOTR. I'd love to do a LeeLoo one day but I don't look good in orange ^^;;

I also want to do a Padme Amidala one day just because my cosplay resume won't feel complete without a star wars cosplay ^o^

peaseblossom
01-02-2003, 04:01 PM
I have an Eowyn from LotR, a Magdalena from the comic book, a Jenny Sparks from The Authority, and a Buffy Bot from BtVS in the works for Dragon Con '03. Woohoo! Excited!

camuimana
01-02-2003, 04:20 PM
peaseblossom- You're going to dragon con? Nifty. I'll be going for the first time this year. Maybe I should meet up with you when I'm arwen and you're Eowyn ^_^

peaseblossom
01-02-2003, 04:36 PM
Camuimana: Awesome! I'll be there promoting my bidness! ^_^ This will be my first Dragon Con too! I got lucky because my mom moved to Atlanta recently, so if we need to, we're going to stay with her. We'll have to coordinate days on costumes so we can get some good photos with you as Arwen and me as Eowyn.

kelldar
01-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Hm, let's see, I've done Princess Leia, Buffy, Padme Amidala, Shadowcat from X-Men (does that count as scifi?), and... I'm just about finished with Susan from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, too, about I think that's more fantasy than scifi.
Next Dragoncon I know I'm going to do another Amidala, but that's about all I have planned for that.

camuimana
01-02-2003, 06:16 PM
peaseblossom : Oh cool! The only reason I'm going to Dragon Con is my cousin moved there and she wants me to stay with her over the summer. I don't think she lives in Alanta though, but a couple hours from it, but still.

I haven't decided what other costumes I'm wearing to DragonCon, I just know Arwen a definate, as I have the fabric already in my room. So whatever day you want to wear Eowyn, I can probably wear Arwen ^_^

ZiggyB
01-02-2003, 07:33 PM
Hey Mei Lan! Welcome back. :)

Um... as for sci-fi costumes... you probably already know about Bender from Futurama. I'm also planning to do a Tron costume as well as Optimus Prime from The Transformers. The Optimus from the cartoon/movie, not the newer Beast Wars or Headmaster or Armada series. (I kid you not, these were varies series, I'm not trying to be coy. :P)

peaseblossom
01-02-2003, 07:42 PM
Camuimana: OKay! I'll get ahold of you!

Sciguy
01-02-2003, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a Stargate costume. All that I'd need are standard air force fatigues and I can make an SGC insignia badge for my left shoulder. A good Ja'fa costume would be cool, too.

And of course, everyone's favorite Sci-fi series, Star Trek! I've been wanting to do a great science uniform from 2nd-7th season of DS9, Liutenent-Commander rank, for years. My mum tried one once, but she forgot that I'm a raging perfectionist and frankly, her facsimilie wasn't perfect.

Space Invader
01-03-2003, 02:21 PM
LEELOO! YAY! I *heart* the Fifth Element.

But anyways - you guys are going to want to institutionalize me for this - but I'm planning on making... *drumroll*

The Predator.

Yes, you heard me right. The Predator, from the movie *duh* Predator. Mask and all. Well, no ugly crab face. But the outer mask. I'm going to put a voice alteration device in it so I sound all tinny and weird when I talk ^^. Mwah ha ha...

I also want to make the costume of the girl from Contact - I forget her name - the spacesuit she's wearing when they load her into the pod thing.

I don't know if this counts as Sci-Fi or anime, but also Sachiel from EVA. That costume would kick... ass...

Caranundomiel
01-04-2003, 05:04 PM
*giggles* Woo! Elves ROCK! I have an Elf dress that I got my mom to help with for Halloween... I also wore it all day the day TTT came out! *dances* I want to make a costume like the ones worn on ENTERPRISE... Gah! And I always forget about my Protector Costume for Earth: Final Conflict... not that anyone but me knows what that is... *sigh* Gods, I love dressing up!

ryuichi fangirl
01-04-2003, 05:08 PM
..there you are!..you have to help me w/ my Gondorian dress! *drags Caran off*..silly elf...

Heather
01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
I've dressed up as Han Solo. ^_^ I plan to make a Tenel Ka costume [Star Wars: Expanded Universe] and possibly a Luke Skywalker costume. That's about it for now. XD

ryuichi fangirl
01-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Tenel Ka!? ..Ooh..that would be soo cool ^^

Sciguy
01-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Caranundomiel: There is no Taelon Protector uniform, so do you mean a Tealon Volunteer uniform? I love the female volunteer uniforms. They're... uh, pleasent to watch :p
It would be really awsome if you could make a good looking Skrill to go with such a costume. That is, if you don't mind having a CVI in your head, lol. (Speaking of which, how did that first guy (can't remember his name) join the resistance movement when the his CVI imperative would prevent him from doing anything to harm the Taelons and the Commonality?)

Other cool costumes from Final Conflict would be a Jeridian and an Atavus. The Atavus are so cool!

Heather
01-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by ryuichi fangirl
Tenel Ka!? ..Ooh..that would be soo cool ^^

AIYA~ you know who Tenel Ka is?!?! I <3 you!!! *hugs*

ryuichi fangirl
01-05-2003, 12:03 PM
lol...she's one of my fav characters ^^ my other is Mara Jade...they both kick a$$!

Mei Lan Chang
01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
I know its against anime convention etiquette, but I absolutely love it when I see Star Wars costumes. I don't care what people say, but I'll take Star Wars costumes anytime.

ryuichi fangirl
01-06-2003, 03:56 PM
I glomped Boba Fett @ Nekocon ^^ ... I luv Star Wars..

camuimana
01-07-2003, 08:35 PM
I just thought of a fantasy cosplay I'm so going to do at some point. Lili from Legend (in her dark bridal gown) ^_^

Mei Lan Chang
01-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Ooooo....good choice. I would love to do that, but I am afraid I have so many projects in line I would never get to it. But I love the way the back part comes up the way it does. Makes her dancing look exceptionally lovely.

soshi
01-07-2003, 09:53 PM
Tenel Ka kicks ass. ^_^v I like the EU of Star Wars.. well.. up until all this "Mara Jade is the center of the universe" crap. no wonder Lucas made it officially and alternate universe.

anyway...

I've got a half-finished Arden Lyn costume that's been staring at me for like a year. >_>; as soon as I make plans to go to a sci fi or comic convention I'll finish it. ^^; I'm also dying to cosplay Rogue's original green and yellow body suit. *hearts in eyes*

eva_guy01
01-08-2003, 11:48 AM
There's a Sci-fi Con coming up here in my area this March and im planning to do the easy costume or the hard one. Frankly, the easy one would be just a Vulcan costume (just add ears) and having somebody sew the clothes.

But if i get real cocky i'll start working on that BORG costume i've been dreaming of. I once did a prototype for an ad agency [see pic below] but they decided to buy it instead of renting it. I had a friend wear it.

------------------
"Resistance is Futile!"

eva_guy01 [http://www.mechacosplaytips.tk]

Sciguy
01-08-2003, 02:54 PM
ah yes, the Borg. My second favorite culture in Star Trek, just behind the Q. The Borg are just awesome! They're powerful, intellegent, and downright ugly (and yes, I include Jeri Ryan in that last one).

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and prepare to be assimilated. Your biological and technical distinctiveness will be added to our own. Your culture will adapt to sevice Us. We are the borg..."

Hikaruchan
01-08-2003, 06:11 PM
I have done Beverly & Deanna costumes from ST:TNG (and put them in database). Also did a Han Solo costume when 10, unfortunately have no pics of that :(

I someday wanted to do Sarah's ballgown from Labyrinth

soshi
01-08-2003, 06:43 PM
mmmm Labyrinth. is that scifi? LOTR's been mentioned in here but that's fantasy.. Labyrinth has elements of both but I think it's more on the fantasty side.

I've always wanted to do Jareths' ballroom suit, but the amount of jewels and ity bity details on it (and lack of a Sarah) has stopped me. lol.

camuimana
01-08-2003, 07:35 PM
Mei Lan Chang - Yeah, I love that aspect as well. One of my favorite scenes in that movie is when Lili is seduced by the dress ^o^

Originally posted by soshi
mmmm Labyrinth. is that scifi? LOTR's been mentioned in here but that's fantasy.. Labyrinth has elements of both but I think it's more on the fantasty side.

I've always wanted to do Jareths' ballroom suit, but the amount of jewels and ity bity details on it (and lack of a Sarah) has stopped me. lol.

Labryinth is pure fantasy. In the DVD they just refer to it as a fantasy.

You should so do the jareth cosplay though, even if you don't have a sarah. I'd do jareth, but I'm much too short and girly (shaped), so I'd look way to awkward. Plus there are simplier jareth costumes of you don't want to deal with all the beading, etc.

soshi
01-08-2003, 07:44 PM
I always think of older films when I think of sci fi movies.. and I have no idea why. maybe that's why Labyrinth always gets classified as sorta sci fi in my head, without any real reason. x_x;

oooooohh but the beads rock. ;_; and it's my favorite one. maaaaybe someday. x.x le sigh~

Mei Lan Chang
01-08-2003, 07:59 PM
I must say that Legend and the Labrynth fall under fantasy, but I usually just combine Sci-Fi and Fantasy when refering to my likes. Fantasy seems to be more about how our imagination percieved the past, and sci-fi seems to be more in the future. That is a generalization that can't cover everything of course, just look at all of Anne McCaffrey's works.

camuimana
01-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Mei Lan Chang
I must say that Legend and the Labrynth fall under fantasy, but I usually just combine Sci-Fi and Fantasy when refering to my likes. Fantasy seems to be more about how our imagination percieved the past, and sci-fi seems to be more in the future. That is a generalization that can't cover everything of course, just look at all of Anne McCaffrey's works.

Thats exactly how I classify things as well :
Fantasy = past
Sci Fi = future

With fantasy I tend to think dragons, unicorns, swords/bows, mystical forests, mystical beings (elves, dwarves, fairies, etc), etc

With sci fi I think mecha, guns, space travel, advanced technology, Other lifeforms (like alien races), etc.

But yes, as Mei Lan stated, things like MaCaffery's work fall right in the middle. ^_^

Karisu-sama
01-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Fantasy AND Science Fiction = "Speculative Fiction". Certainly that's what SF (Speculative Fiction, actually) Cons are all about - and gaming, and anime, etc. - all cosplay is welcome there. Certainly I've never heard of a venue where only Fantasy OR Science Fiction cosplay was allowed, but not both.

I have a mini Star Trek Next Gen lieutenant costume for my kid (older one grew out of it, now it fits younger one); I think I need to make an adult one now. Someone said I'd make a good Tasha Yar.

Beats me whatever happened to my Princess Leia original SW movie costume (+ accessories) that I made when I was 14. Either it's still in my moms house, or it went to goodwill... darn, it was a good costume. :( In fact, several of my old SciFi and Fantasy costumes are who-knows-where now, except I still know where my 15th cen. gown and medieval-style rust-velvet gown are.

I have generic Elf costume and Killashandra Ree costume (From Anne McCaffrey's "Crystal Singer")...

ZiggyB
01-11-2003, 05:17 AM
Hehe, I think you really would make a great Tasha Yar!

What's with you and short light colored wigs? :)

Hehe, I suppose I should have a Star Trek uniform, but I just don't go to enough ST conventions to justify it. Though I am going to one in Sacramento next weekend, Jan 18-19.

Definatly not the Enterprise one either... probably a Next Gen one if I ever do it...

Dark Vision
01-11-2003, 05:59 AM
Only reason for a sci fi costume for me is for the challenge. And that one would be the predator costume. If I ever get the tools to bend and shape metal, I'm all for it.

kelldar
01-11-2003, 08:18 AM
My mom used to dress as Tasha Yar a lot.... and my dad would go as Spock. And my mom wants to go with my to Dragoncon next year just so she can go to the McCaffrey panels.

Sciguy
01-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Poor Tasha, it sucked who they got rid of her in TNG. The most ironic part is that her daughter Sela became leader Romulan Star Empire's fleet for a while. Now there's irony for you!

I've always wanted a Starfleet uniform from DS9. I am a line officer, after all. (Liutenent-commander) It would also give me a place to store my comm badge.

Hikaruchan
01-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Kell,

Make sure your mom sees the McCaffrey Pern costume contest, if see didn't this year. A lot of the females were hamming it up and it was amusing. The female contestants came in doing the bunny hop (couple in renfaire corsets almost popped out doing that - whoops). I got pics, just haven't had a chance to get them thumbnailed and up yet.

Mei Lan Chang
01-11-2003, 12:56 PM
You dorky Trekkies.

I think I am much more into Star Wars than Star Trek. Each to his though, right? Right now I am looking at the billions of Padme costumes I could and I just can't decide.....I mean, I am sure you all went through the same level of awe as the film rolled and Amidala had an amazing new costume every five minutes. But after seeing the Two Towers I am also torn between whether I should do a Éowyn costume first. I really like her white dress, and I kiiiiiinda look like her, which would be more appealing. Arg....decisions...

Karisu-sama
01-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ZiggyB
What's with you and short light colored wigs? :)
So no one will recognize me in real life, muahahaha!
Actually, I really like the way I look in 'em, but if I tried to cut and bleach out my real hair, it would never look anywhere that good. And I also sufficiently like the way my own hair looks.
Originally posted by ZiggyB
Hehe, I suppose I should have a Star Trek uniform, but I just don't go to enough ST conventions to justify it. Though I am going to one in Sacramento next weekend, Jan 18-19.

Man, you lucky; I'm not getting to that one. :( Next con for me is BayCon, probably.

Sciguy
01-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's fantasy. Even the mentioned future=Sci-Fi doesn't work here because it's set in the past. Also, it's only Sci-Fi is there's science involved. No scientific statement made in Star Wars made, makes, or will ever make any sense. I especially like how Han said he made the Kessel run in four parsecs *laughs hysterically*

Karisu-sama
01-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Star Wars is Space Opera! :p (Note: the term does not imply singing.)
...and the "4 parsecs" gaffe just shows George Lucas's ignorance of the meaning of "parsec".

ZiggyB
01-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Karisu-sama
Man, you lucky; I'm not getting to that one. :( Next con for me is BayCon, probably.

The funny thing is, I'm not really going to see the Star Trek guests, I mostly wanna see Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He's gonna be there on Sunday. :) So is that somehow... less geeky? or more? :)

Karisu-sama
01-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Just as geeky, methinks! :) (I have a friend who is also DYING to go there and see him! :) )

ZiggyB
01-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Heheh, damn. Oh well. ;)

/me covers the Buffy The Vampire Slayer logo on his leather jacket...

Garuda_Aiacos
01-23-2003, 12:48 PM
I started out with Star Wars costumes and am still working to do them. :p So far, I had done a generic New Jedi Order Jedi Knight Garb (upgrading to have more of the Prequel look now), a ROTJ Royal Guard (redoing it now), Padme in White Battlesuit and a bunch other one-day-assembled costume for some contests in 1999.

Currently, I'm trying to finish my TPM Padme Tatooine, Sith Lord (my creation; costume resembled Darth Maul's), TPM Handmaid Maroon Cloak and ANH Manga Leia costume.

On the Future Board will be Darth Maul Sith Apprentice Garb, TPM Sabe Royal Decoy Gown (aka Escape from Naboo Gown), a Bounty Hunter or 2 from AOTC :D and ROTJ Tatooine Luke. :p

I forsee the list will get even longer in 2005. ;)

Garuda_Aiacos
01-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Sciguy
Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's fantasy.

Lucas himself said Star Wars is a Fantasy movie set in space.

Unfortunately , what he had wrote and what his people had help to create for all 5 movies had cause them to have many scientific stuffs put into the movie itself, causimg SW to get the Sci-Fic label even more. :p

Personally, I prefer to call SW Sci-Fiction/Fantasy story. ;)

crosis101
01-24-2003, 03:24 PM
I have a 'Mecha Warrior Costume.. I got a bunch of patched from the Battletech center in chicago, and sewed them onto an green airforce jumpsuit. I also added ammo pouches and a blaster. I thought it was pretty cool...

Crosis

TR5368
02-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Hey everyone..I guess im the newbie here, but anywayz I just finished my Royal Guard costume.

Garuda_Aiacos
02-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by TR5368
Hey everyone..I guess im the newbie here, but anywayz I just finished my Royal Guard costume.

Hi! :) Welcome, welcome!

I did my IRG ROTJ Robes Version 1.0 a few years ago too. And trying to redo the outer cloak currently (to be more ROTJ-Crimson Empire-AOTC hybride version) but having a little headache over matching the potential color of the helmet with the Velvet available here. :(

So which version/hybride is your IRG Costume?

TR5368
02-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Mine is ROTJ. I didnt really like the other versions of the cloak/robes. I used cardinal red for the cloak and Banner red for the helmet.

kodiak33
02-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey folks...Biker Scout/Storm Trooper reporting in. If you guys need help in these areas be sure and let me know. I also am pretty new like TR5368. Anyone here going to A*Kon or Dragon Con?

TR5368
02-13-2003, 05:07 PM
hehe, I have a shirt that says Biker Scouts Lead The Way..Is a pathfinders shirt.

sarabug
02-13-2003, 05:56 PM
oooo...i'm working on lots of stuff for dragoncon this year...teela from masters of the universe, ghost from the darkhorse comics, and a new dawn costume...and a few more, but i haven't narrowed them down yet...it's gonna be a fun year!

CandyElly
02-17-2003, 11:11 AM
I still haven't decided what I want to do for Dragoncon this year >.< Maybe I'll finally find the exact type of sparkly fabric I'm looking for to make that one Velvet Goldmine costume o.o

Heather
02-22-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm going to Dragon*Con! YAY! I can't wait~!!!

I have three costumes planned so far. XD I don't know which ones I'll get done. But yeah;

- [with my sister] Edgar and Alan Frog from the Lost Boys (vampire hunting gear)
- [with my sister] a gothed out Mad Hatter and March Hare
- Hannah Solo (a dolled up Han Solo. XDDDDDD)

We need to make a Dragon*Con thread. XD

HuongStar
02-23-2003, 03:26 PM
Anyone here going to A*Kon or Dragon Con?

We'll definitely be at both conventions. *thinks* Most of my costumes will be based off of comics and possibly a Fifth Element costume. We'll see what I can finish after A-kon...

TR5368
02-23-2003, 08:47 PM
I will be at both cons also.

Garuda_Aiacos
02-24-2003, 03:47 AM
Wish I can go to DragonCon. Can give the Rebel Legion a little quantity support in the photoshoots. ;)

eva_guy01
03-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Ah, finally finished the damn costume! I was able to accomplish this in time for our Sci-Fi convention. If you guys wanna check it out, just clik on the pic and appreciate it. I know somebody did. ;)

Garuda_Aiacos
03-14-2003, 02:27 AM
Look good! :)

hazelmisao
03-14-2003, 05:44 AM
hello...

i've cosplayed senator amidala... it's my first sci-fi costume... ^^0
if you guys wanna see it.. just click on my gallery section ^^

ja!

evilchii
03-15-2003, 08:42 AM
haha, this is my new favorite thread becasue i'm just a trekkie and watch buffy like it's my job, lol. -_-;; i dunno if that's a good thing.

anyway, when i saw people mention labyrinth and legend and i started getting all excited because those are my favorite movies.

i'm making a jareth costume and i plan on making Lili's white princess dress for dragon con. i'm rather excited because this will be the first time i'm going so i hope that my costumes turn out alright ^_^