PDA

View Full Version : How was everyone's time at Katsucon?

bag0k
02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
I think we should start off with a fresh new thread!
Anywho, I know we all planned a get-together right before the dance, and I'm sorry I couldn't make it! :( I got really really sick right around 9. I felt like I was gonna vomit! I think it was from dehydration or something. I tried to drink lots of water, but I guess it also could've been something I ate. But anywho, chances are, most of you saw me there. My head was a freakin' yard long, I wasn't tough to miss :P. I did bump into bigwill and um.... HOLY CRAP I forgot your name... um... but you had your Kingdom Hearts Donald costume.
I tried to catch up with more of you earlier today (sunday), by carrying around a big sign that would be pretty obvious to anyone here. I'll upload my pictures, and a picture of the sign later.
Anyways, I had a great time, not counting my tumbly ache... I swear, everyone in the world took my picture on Saturday! I can't wait for everyone on the site to upload their Katsucon pictures. I felt so popular! ^_^
Friday was kinda a suck day for me and my little brother... long story short, we got there later than we hoped, and so all the food places were closed. We had to go home really early because we couldn't find anything to eat!
Sunday was boring for me. I walked around with my sign, bought a moogle plushie (so soft!), but I didn't even play DDR or go to the concert. Oh well.

I'm sooooo proud of my Dipp costume that I've decided to make another Katamarisjesjk etc. costume for Otakon. I also want to make a new Katamari, because mine was super-ghetto. Bah. I'm sleepy. And there's no school tomorrow! Yay!

myaku_
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
I had the same problem- being sick and all- so I missed my PLC community get-together.

I also missed the VCS get-together because I don't know how to tell time. I met most of you anyway, though ^^;;

Speaking of, it was nice seeing/meeting all of you!

xMegan

Bethii-chan
02-20-2005, 09:20 PM
I had a good time at Katsu!

I didn't go to the VCS get-together either...as I kinda forgot until about midnight last nite ^_^;; oops. I also really needed to get out of my costume as my corset was killing me.

I did see a few of you in the halls, so it was nice meeting you! :)

Nyoko
02-20-2005, 10:37 PM
I never relized there was a gathering oO oops guess I should check down here more often...

Bethii-chan: I took a picture of you!! I just relized by looking at you picture that that was you ^^ What lovely costume! it was when we where trying to figure out about the "cosplay line" saturday. I have the picture of you in my gallery

Riji
02-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I met most of you, but about the time the gathering was supposed to be, I could only find bigwil. XD

LaPetiteSalope
02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I didn't know there actually WAS a meeting! Sorrie! I remember seeing ZeKitty in the hallways--but i didn't say hi, or anything cause I was afraid she'll be annoyed or something. Gomen! Anyways, Katsucon was fun...but I still thought Otakon was sooooo much better. Katsucon was WAYY too crowded with the small Marriott Hallways and it was too cold outside to walk all the way to the other Sheriott Hotel.

<<btw, I was Cheza from Wolf's Rain! I didn't finish my Berserker Yuna on time.

Mishima
02-21-2005, 12:40 AM
It wasn't to bad. The game room should have had Tekken...but thats alright. I found something to pass the time.
Yay for the amvs this year.

Star_Angel
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah we should probaly have the gathering during the day next time because super lat at night didnt work out to well. I had a great time it was great to get to meet a ton of you! and Bag0K you were to bute in your cosplay! And Riji your J-rock costumes are the best!!!
Yeah i was in the lobby for a little while but there were only like 3 VCS people that I could find, and after walking around in Donald almost all day i was about to die (it was really hot in there, lol). But well be better planed at the next con!

Version-1
02-21-2005, 02:50 PM
having a 'saturday only' pass didn't help too much in finding other VA peeps since they wanted all the day people out by 10, meh oh well. it was fun anyway, getting autographs and stuff. but anyone who was there probably saw my group none-the-less:

trunks
android 17
guy w/ linkin park shirt and hat
and me w/ my 'hentai inside' shirt, yasha necklace, and naruto headband

planning on actually cosplaying at AMA as Col. Mustang or Miroku :bigtu:

Riji
02-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Next time we'll meet a specific time and place, instead of after the cosplay and before the dance because it'll give more closure. Maybe next time we can actually meet for lunch like we were originally planning. :)

bag0k
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Next time we'll meet a specific time and place, instead of after the cosplay and before the dance because it'll give more closure. Maybe next time we can actually meet for lunch like we were originally planning. :)
Yeah... I totally agree. Especially after something like cosplay, because it really wasn't a set time frame. Everyone I talked to was confused about when it began, and I wasn't able to get in the cosplay 'cuz it filled up! Blah. 'Twas only our first planned get-together. Let's all try again at Otakon!... or animazement (sp?), whatever. (I'm not planning to go to animazement... it's too far south!)

dustbunny
02-21-2005, 07:21 PM
It was ok i had fun and all but it wasen't a con where u would want to e by yourself cause there wasen't a lot of stuff to do. Everything started late and space was so limited. Walking in the cold was no fun. And the hotel was still under construction.

Winters Knight
02-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I had a great time too! I sort of wish I hadn't bought a badge though, cause the only thing I ended up using it for was the dealer's room. We should definitely try and have the gathering at a more specific time next time *nods* Yummy cupcakes though ^_~.

I ended up pretty much doing nothing but photoshoots and hanging out with people I met through cosplay.com and the RE photoshoot ^_^. Total funness though!

~Jenn

bigwil
02-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Well I had fun....Saw about 5 VCS members said hi and all....but like stated hopefully next con AMA...Otakon...well be more organized...

Star_Angel
02-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Well I had fun....Saw about 5 VCS members said hi and all....but like stated hopefully next con AMA...Otakon...well be more organized...
Yes we will be more organized how can we ever take over the world like this! lol. But well also have a group (a small one but a group) at Animazement so anyone else heading there check the thred on VCS!!! lol.

zekitty
02-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Wow... I haven't come onto cosplay.com since before Katsu! x.x;;;

I was there waiting for people for the VCS gathering, but no one showed up, but that was alright because I was sick with the flu ALLLLLL weekend!! >.< Jeez, what a time to get sick, ne?! >.< I did make a sign but I'd forgotten it in my hotel room.

Rooming in the Sheraton was definately NOT FUN!! Cosplaying Thief Rikku and Samurai Rikku (I was supposed to cosplay Black Mage but when my hat was delivered (I'd forgotten it at home), the person who was SUPPOSED to get it happened to have gone out shopping all day! >.<) and having to run across the street... Not fun. And it definately didn't help my flu either. Right when I started feeling better I had to go back to my room or it was time to turn in for the night. For AMA and Otakon, I'm DEFINATELY rooming in the MAIN HOTEL!! >.< I've already secured a room with my Paine-chan and her boi for AMA! :3 Her man ish so nice to have invited me!! :3 w00tage for him!

Eh, I'm ranting. >.> Gomen ne...

But ya, I think the Katsu staff were definately tripping on some power pills or something. >.< For our FF photoshoot they told us to move, so we did. (Oh it was glorious! A parade of FF cosplayers! W00T!!) When we got to a room that had virtually no traffic, we decided to hold the photoshoot there. But of course, having a whole bunch of cosplayers there drew attention so we had to cram all the FF cospalyers in one corner and put the photographers in another corner and play Red Light, Green Light to keep everything organized. SO then the head security beotch came in and said, "You guys can't handle this, we're going to play Red Light, Green Light!"

>.<!!! Wtf did she thinkw e were doing?! Having tea?!

I'd lost my badge once while I was at Katsu so I was in and out of the security room all day Saturday. Every time I went in there that security beotch was being really mean! She was rushing people who had come in to ask questions, she was constantly briefing her staff saying things like, "People are stupid, so expect them to act that way." And when people came to get their props peace-bonded she was like, "This doesn't prevent you from being stupid. If you do something stupid you WIL be thrown out of Katsucon so don't try anything stupid and we'll get along fine."

I swear to God, she ACTUALLY said that to a cosplayer!! If she had been saying that to me, hoo-boy, things wouldn't have been pretty.

Eh, I was ranting again. >.>... Me go bye-bye now. XD

Star_Angel
02-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Yummy cupcakes though ^_~.

Te he, Im glad someone liked my cupcakes I brought!

and ZeKitty the staff was being extremely mean, they didnt brief any of them as to where things were so when people asked them they got a attitude. I had this one guy come up to me as Donald and start being really rude b/c I didnt get my staff checked (And I dont mean asked me then got a attitude he had a attitude from the start!) but when i went to get it fixed the people in the room were actually really nice becaused I asked them about taking the orange tape stuff off for the masquerade and they were like yeah thats cool. But I almost showed that one guy how Donalds wizard staff could have been used as a weapon by getting bonked on the head! (lol in the arlington newspaper the next day you would see a pic of a Donald Duck cosplayer bonking some randome guy on the head, lol, drag me off to jail as Donald, lol)

But yeah for the next cons we probaly need to meet on a day like Friday or somethnig because I know Sat, if you are in the masquerade they run you to death depending on which con your at, lol. Hopefully we'll have a big group at AMA (and I know were gonna have a small group at Az, I know of four c-ville peoples that are gonna come or try to come, lol)

makotohanabi
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Think whoever was head of security should have been sacked. Didn't have any run ins with security, but i didn't have any props to peacebond (surprised they didn't peacebond my rose) and i had a nice "mess with me and it'll be the last thing you do, touch me and i'll scream assault at the top of my lungs" vibe going.

out of curiousity, is anyone planning on going back to katsu next year? probably will check out the Omni sometime this summer between the 7/4 weekend and Otakon. Anything I learn there will help me decide whether to attend or not attend.

bag0k
03-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Think whoever was head of security should have been sacked. Didn't have any run ins with security, but i didn't have any props to peacebond (surprised they didn't peacebond my rose) and i had a nice "mess with me and it'll be the last thing you do, touch me and i'll scream assault at the top of my lungs" vibe going.

out of curiousity, is anyone planning on going back to katsu next year? probably will check out the Omni sometime this summer between the 7/4 weekend and Otakon. Anything I learn there will help me decide whether to attend or not attend.
Am I going to Katsucon next year? No. Never again. It wasn't worth the time and money. I had pretty high expectiations, and Katsu didn't live up to them.

I actually thought the staff could be mean and strict sometimes. It's like they all needed to switch to decaf. If you were taking someone's picture or having you picture taken, 9 times outta 10 you were in a "high traffic area" and you had to relocate youselves to a dingy corner with no room to snap a photo. And even when I met up with some friends in the middle of the lobby to talk for a minute, we were in the wrong place and had to move. I didn't get too mad at some of the security personel, but some needed to learn some manners and be a bit nicer.
I also didn't like the workshop scheduel. There was like, nothing interesting going on, and anything remotley interesting was either early in the morning or during something else major, like cosplay. And speaking of cosplay, I didn't get to see any because it filled up pretty quickly. This didn't make me too angry, but what did was the grumpy bulldog of a security dog barking at anyone politley asking about it.

...er... sorries. /rant. I'm hoping Otakon'll be better. And if I'm unhappy with Otakon, there's always good 'ol AUSA. Greatest. Con. Ever.

Riji
03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
I admit I'll go to Katsucon next year, mostly because they're moving the convention. If it were staying in the same spot it would take some serious convincing to make me come back.

The good's outweighed the bad's for me. I did have a couple run-ins with security, mostly involving the whole "you can't take pictures here" thing. That head-of-security lady (I assume she was head of security) was just plain rude on several occasions.

The only problem with security that I really had was when I first encountered them. I had a problem reading the convention map and I couldn't find the security home-base so I tracked down a bunch of security guards to give me directions so I could get my staff peacebonded. This kid, who couldn't have been more than 15 (and I'm being nice), was one of them and said that he'd take me.

On the way there, he proceeded to spew out every policy about weapons and threatening that I could get thrown out if I didn't get my staff peacebonded. I came up to them, not the other way around, telling them of my intention to get my staff bonded, so it wasn't like I was skipping out or anything. Then he said that he didn't believe that I had made my costume. ^^; It wasn't really what he said, but how he said it. It didn't piss me off til later, as problems with security were piling up, so at first I was just laughing at his stupidity. I question the judgment of the people in charge by letting some rude kid be security and giving him any responsibility what-so-ever.

The Sheraton was just disgusting. I don't think anyone would have gone there at all, and I doubt anyone would have made any plans to have gatherings there if they knew what it was like.

Things getting delayed: I can understand it happening once, but several times? Sometimes it's unavoidable due to unforseen circumstances, but it just seemed it was from a lack of organization.

The overall con-goers were a lot more rude there than at other cons. I don't mean to stereotype, but it was always non-cosplayers. I know someone complained about someone stepping on their costume and ripping it. I was run into so many times by people without them even bothering to say "excuse me." Hell, they'd run into me when it was avoidable. I got hit so much that part of my DAISHI armor broke. Every time that I would fix it, a few minutes later someone would run into it. :lost: And it wasn’t like I had a big range of motion, so I could really jump out of the way.

I did enjoy all of the cosplayers. I've never seen so many wonderfully made costumes in a short amount of time and I met a lot of really nice people. It was great to see previous friends from AMA and AUSA. This is what really made the convention.

Whatever the ticket number thing was for the PLC concert on Friday was just odd. I had been told about it but didn't see anyone at the booth giving out numbers. Then the whole getting in line thing was just weird. The head security lady made fun of the VIP-ers getting in line early. Whoever the staff member was that was carting water to the VIP line: you have got to be the coolest and selfless member of the convention staff that I encountered that weekend. I tip my hat to you. The concert itself was damn good. I'm so glad PLC came. I think Katsucon would have seemed rather bland without them.

The hotel staff were very helpful to my dad and I. The valet guy neatly piled EVERYTHING of mine onto a cart. The cart was full by the time he was done. :thumbsup: The bellman was interested in my costumes and asked me about them, being very polite and genuinely interested. He even helped unload the cart once we got to the room. When leaving, we called for a bellman to come up with a cart and he helped load everything back up again. He talked a while with my dad while we were waiting for the elevator and he seemed really nice.

I don't think I want to know what the Omni is going to be like, as I'd like to hold on to some hope that the location will be super-better next year. :thumbsup:

Edit: Wow, I didn't realize how long this thing was. And for some reason, I thought this thread was in the Katsucon forum. XD *is very very tired* ^^;

Star_Angel
03-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I admit I'll go to Katsucon next year, mostly because they're moving the convention. If it were staying in the same spot it would take some serious convincing to make me come back.

Holy Cow I agree with you there! Next Year we should try and get a room together (Incase one of us has to run back to the room to drop off bags b/c the staff's being weird b/c of the concert! I think Im still tired from those four flights up then down then across the hotel then up and down again! lol)
Security was extremely RUDE! this guy came up to me and was like "you need to get your weapon checked!" and not nicly I mean mean! I mean you think I was dressed like someone from Hellsing or something I was a freakin Donald Duck cosplayer! lol. But when I got to security the people were actually rather nice and told me that when the masquerade started I could take the tape off to go on stage and stuff.
The Sheraton was rather not fun to go to, to much construction and just yucky!
Man I woul dhave wanted to beat that little kid for infering that you didnt make your costume! You did a kick butt job and im sorry the armor part came off! People do need to watch where they are going, I had that problem with donald because I took up more space then I was used too, lol. I kept getting hit in the butt, lol.
I really enjoyed getting to see all my friends that I hadnt seen since Az, AUSA and Christmas.
I could understand the concert being delayed since there was sound problems or something but after that everything was delayed, and a lot of it seemed like people just didnt want to get there ontime. (and Im so sorry for being late to meet you for the MM gathering!)
But overall I had a great time getting to see and meet so many people and cosplay for the whole weekend! :jjacks: